[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you give BBEGs any points for being professional in their

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: BncnY9oCMAEj05b.png (263KB, 500x381px) Image search: [Google]
BncnY9oCMAEj05b.png
263KB, 500x381px
Do you give BBEGs any points for being professional in their pursuit of world domination? Someone who's unfailingly polite to the party even while they're trying to kill them.

I figure that's worth an 11th hour "listen dude, if you give up now we'll just put you in jail forever, no murders, honest," at least.
>>
>>52062444
>inb4 BBEG anon

No, them being polite is nothing special. It's just another trope in the toolbox imo
>>
>>52062512
Would it make any difference if you thought they were being sincere in their politeness?
>>
>>52062720
If it's not an act it's better, but really still boils down to a character trope. And that's not a bad thing. Tropes are meant to be utilized, after all. If you're looking for tropes that are not used often then going for sincerely polite rather than acts polite but explodes into fits of rage then you're headed in the right direction.
>>
>BBEG
Ugh.
>>
>>52063111
Hashtag groanzone.

It's an easy way to say "the campaign's bad guy," nothing more or less.
>>
>>52063136
You could type two more keystrokes and say "bad guy" or three more for "villain" and not sound like you have autism. You know, if that's important to you.
>>
>>52063174
This is an odd hill you've chosen to die on, friend.
>>
>>52063174
No John, you are the autists
>>
>>52063174
Conversely, you could simply choose to ignore posts on 4chan that you dislike, and not make it obvious to everyone that you have genuine autism.
>>
>>52063174
Oh boy, I'm so happy to get in on the ground floor of *this* fucking thread.

134 replies and 31 images omitted awaits! Onward!
>>
You know how some really annoying words and acronyms get auto-replaced? They should do the same thing with every word coined by TV Tropes.
>>
>>52062444
>bbeg

You'd have to be a special sort of-

>>52062512
Oh look, it's this faggot, who hates it when everyone makes fun of him for sounding like a toddler. Tell us more about how "big bad evil guy" is so witty and humorous.
>>
>>52063174
>Calls someone autistic in the most autistic way he can manage
What did anon mean by this?
>>
>>52063174
>>52063136
>>52063111
>>52063442
Ooh boy, let me hop in on this.

BBEG is a phrase that's been used since the dawn of time (Or dawn of /tg/) and newfags think it came from Plebuut Truups, so they're trying to fit in by being derisive of other websites.

Sadly, they don't understand how language works; They don't understand about how if a word, acronym, or phrase is used and people understand what it means, then it's automatically a correct word. Making choices between two different words that mean similar things is only really important when it comes to different contexts. For example, while 'Shocking' and 'Astounding' are synonyms of the same thing, one carries the context of 'causing great surprise' in a negative way, while the second carries the context of 'causing great surprise' in a positive way.

However, in this case, the acronym BBEG means exactly what you think it means. The villain, the antagonist, the recurring antagonist character whom the protagonists commonly meet up with/face off against.

And because this is the culture that essentially birthed the acronym, it's part of /tg/'s lexicon now, and trying to suppress it because you have an autistic shitfit about Rabbit Cropes existing on the internet is pretty stupid.

>>52062444
Nope. It might have been a pretty interesting quirk once, but now it's rather played out. Being polite just makes the BBEG seem more slimy in the end. It's when the BBEG is pragmatic... Pragmatism earns the BBEG the brownie points.

BBEG.
>>
>>52063634
People have been complaining about "Big Bad Evil Guy" for years. The early complaints seemed to be mostly about the concept itself, with many people disagreeing that a plot needed a character as a central antagonist.

Now, it seems that some of the complaints are about the language. "Big Bad Evil Guy" was coined to sound corny, and is more of an in-joke than a designation like "Central Antagonist." It's also grown to be somewhat vague, with some people using it as the central antagonist, others using it as the final antagonist, and still others using it as simply any antagonist, which can get confusing when trying to communicate about one of these specific ideas.

As far as the shitstorm, I think that comes in part because it takes very little effort to say "BBEG sounds dumb", which is enough to trigger some people who use that phrase. These people then go to say things like "you need to respect this acronym, it's /tg/'s acronym, every true fa/tg/uy uses BBEG exclusively," and that gets even people who had no real interest in the matter upset, because it starts to sound like there's people who are actually actively trying to push BBEG.

BBEG is a meme, and like most memes it doesn't have much of a shelf life. The old joke has faded, and now it seems like people are just finding it weird for people to be so fervent in holding onto it.
>>
>>52063746
People who are whipped into a frothy autistic rage just by seeing an acronym are the real antagonists.
>>
>>52063746
Your face is a meme, and like most memes it's shit.

burn

Anyway, I've only ever noticed shitstorms about it in the past few years, when /tg/ started to gain popularity around the time questing and 5e started to happen. I admit, that's only anecdotal, so I assumed it was due to newfags being newfags about the whole anti Hebbit / KB Goats thing.

>>52063783
Those people are called PWAWIAFAR.
>>
>>52063783
I'd argue that there's very little frothy rage coming from the people saying "BBEG" sounds dumb, with most of the frothy rage coming from the defenders, and the rest coming from the people who dislike the defenders trying to push their lexicon on everyone else.

You can't deny it sounds dumb, because it's supposed to sound stupid. Rather than trying to erect some forced culture where people need to respect something you use because you demand it, you might be better off just accepting that it's a silly bit of jargon, and if you don't want to be ridiculed for being silly, you might want to take off the clown shoes and nose. Either that, or embrace its silliness and don't demand people to respect you.

Just don't try to pretend people need to treat your clown costume like a valued part of their own history.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.