[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Council of Elrond

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 327
Thread images: 40

File: councilOfElrond1.png (671KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
councilOfElrond1.png
671KB, 1000x1500px
The Council of Elrond
>>
File: councilOfElrond2.png (606KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
councilOfElrond2.png
606KB, 1000x1500px
>>
File: councilOfElrond3.png (564KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
councilOfElrond3.png
564KB, 1000x1500px
>>
>>52056215
this is about the same as that story about how the PCs fought a campaign to bring gay rights to a medieval kingdom and then got torn apart by fucking skeletons under the command of the lich they didn't bother dealing with at the start of the campaign, instead opting to plunge the land resisting the lich into a firestorm of revolutionary bloodletting over matters of no real importance.

what's missing is the last panel with a bunch of orcs eating them alive with sauron laughing in the background while his high-minded infiltrators take over rulership of their new territories, which they delivered into his hands. wormtongue, except worse.
>>
>>52056275
Except theres some key differences in the two scenarios, the first being that the lich was established as hostile and going to kill everybody whilst until they set out on a quest to murder sauron the orcs basically sit at home and eat rats all day, the second being that story is a story of a shit DM who wasn't willing to listen to what his players wanted a campaign about and the third being sauron would literally be a better ruler than the current ones.

Also i think you took the joke too seriously, its more about the personalities of those 3 philosophers than it is about lord of the rings.
>>
>>52056275
I think you are underestimating Elrond Half-Elven there. I'm sure he could decapitate these idiots that thought insulting him in his own home was a good idea.

>Help, help, I'm being oppressed!
>Come see the violence inherent in the system!
>>
>>52056309
>>52056215
Thinking about it some more, wouldn't this thread make more sense on /lit/? Its really more about philosophers and lord of the rings is only as /tg/ related as the games its attached to, which this doesn't really discuss.
>>52056311
Marx Dwarf was too foolish to wear a helmet, so yeah.
>>
>>52056309
sauron is not a nice guy. every now and then he sends a sortie of orcs out to murder and kill everything non-orc they find. this is not really something to be gotten around. there is a reason that everything in the world that is not an orc (and most orcs even) do not like orcs and that is because they are a virulent plague on the land that goes on itinerant wanderings wherein they murder and pillage everything they find.

trying to squeeze this into a postmodern lens doesn't work. and it offends me. re.
>>
>>52056215
That's an ugly Elrond.
>>
>>52056309
I'm getting the idea you didn't read the books.

When Suarion gets a lead on where the ring is he sends a massive invasion into the free lands of middle earth, killing massive numbers of people. His alliance with Saromon and creation of gigantic armies seeks to destroy all that would oppose him.

Orcs weren't sitting around eating rats, they were on the march and killing everyone.
>>
>>52056215
Moorcock already did the joke about lotr being a propaganda rendition of the war written specifically to support the claims of Aragorn's descendents to the throne of Gondor before you were born.

Also I long for the day where they just show the orcs as the undead elves they should ideally be.
>>
>>52056325
There are also raving bands of humans that attack people, including orcs. I'll admit im being hyperbolic and Sauron is a bit of a cunt but playing devil's advocate is fun and its not unreasonable to suggest there could be orcs that aren't at war with elves and men, simply because most of the time they aren't at war with them.
Whether or not the two groups could coexist in the same lands is a different question entirely.
>>52056333
I only read them when i was about 12, so its been a while I'll admit. But that was my point, he sits around kinda chillin' until somebody starts a (not very covert) conspiracy to murder him.
>>
>>52056325
Technically there's no reason an Orc or Ur-Kai can't be a good person, they just never get a chance to. Everything from the moment of their creation puts tremendous pressure on them to conform to the mold of a solider for evil. Failing to fit in results in death at the hands of their own kind.

The fact that they are victims of the lord of the ring too doesn't change what needs to be done.
>>
>>52056352
>There are also raving bands of humans that attack people, including orcs. I'll admit im being hyperbolic and Sauron is a bit of a cunt but playing devil's advocate is fun and its not unreasonable to suggest there could be orcs that aren't at war with elves and men, simply because most of the time they aren't at war with them.
It's also something that sat better with Tolkien as a catholic when people bothered to ask him.
>>
>>52056352
The attempts to find and destroy the One Ring started in the second age when he almost killed everyone. The last alliance only barely survived and without a blind luck crit by Isildor everyone would be dead or the Lord of the Ring's slaves.

The only reason he stopped trying to kill or enslave everyone was his body was destroyed and his power scattered to the winds. The moment he was strong enough and had a lead on where the One Ring had ended up he went right back to his plan.

He wasn't hunting the Fellowship because they were trying to kill him, he was hunting them to try and seize the ring back from them.

Partly because he never, until the very end, understood they wanted to destroy it.

Aragorn's distraction at the black gate is so successful because Saron was absoloutly sure the most powerful of Men would have seized the ring and kept it for himself. The idea that the most powerful artifact Middle Earth had ever known would be willingly put into the hands of a hobbit was inconceivable to him. He always expected Gandalf, Galadriel, Eldron or Aragorn, or someone like them, to seize the ring for themselves.
>>
>>52056338
My understanding was that in at least one interpretation, an Orc is merely an "evil" elf. If an Orc stops being horrible all the time, it stops being an Orc.
Which, honestly, makes a lot of sense. That's why the Dwarves hate and fear the Elves: because there are shit tons of evil Elves (Orcs) and only a relatively small number of "Good" ones who mostly fuck off and hang out in their tree houses, being rude and superior all the time. Elves who choose evil become weak, twisted, horrible things... and there are still tons of them.
It also makes Uruk Hai make sense as a faction: they're "Half Orcs" (iirc) who are no longer limited by their Elvish ancestry. They have the human capacity to remain strong while choosing either good or evil, and the Orc/Elf tendency to physically change and stay with whatever alignment they choose. Assuming they're all getting torture and trained by Saruman and his lackeys, it makes sense that they're a pretty formidable force int he world.
>>
>>52056419
No elf ever became an orc because he decided to do evil things. Doing entirely evil things goes against their fate and nature.
>>
>>52056352

>he sits around kinda chillin' until somebody starts a (not very covert) conspiracy to murder him.

So you don't remember anything about the books at all, then. That's fine, just don't try to argue as though you do. Your representation of events is factually wildly inaccurate.
>>
>>52056499
I'm sorry but a thousand years of relative other can not be put down to "he was totally plotting their downfall the whole time!" or "he just needed to regain his strength!" if he had been so weak then why would any orcs follow him? If they weren't following him until he regained power why were the skirmishes between them and the other races so relatively rare and isolated compared to what happened later?

I don't argue from the point of view of expert, you keep trying to pin that on me. I am the devil's advocate, i already said that.
>>
>>52056544
>relative
Meant relative peace, whoops.
>>
>>52056544
>If he was weak why would the Orcs follow him?

He wasn't weak. He was still, even disembodied, one of the most powerful creatures on Middle Earth.

>Why follow him?

He didn't really demand much of them, putting them to the task of holding a scrap of Mordor and maintaining his tower.

>Why weren't they fighting much?

Because Men drove them back into Mordor, held the Black Gate and killed any that tried to leave. Gondor's forces sat there like a cork in a bottle, keeping the rest of Middle Earth mostly Orc free.

>Regained his strength

He did that relatively quickly. After the early third age he was plenty powerful again, he simply was waiting for the Ring to surface. He was immortal, and the Ring was vital to his plans, so he had no reason not to wait as long as it took.
>>
>>52056544
A few decades ago, a great leader rose up and blitzkrieged the surrounding nations. They executed many who they got their hands on and oppressed those they thought of lesser races.

The free nations of the world, and some not so free nations, struck back in a costly conflict and defeated him soundly.

Sometimes philosophers are full of shit, especially when not shoved to the front lines of a battle or oppression.
>>
>>52056544
He built up alliances with the men of the East and South, rebuilt his power in Mordor, and, oh yeah, sent the Witch King up north to organize the systemic extermination and genocide of Arnor.
>>
>>52056611
Didnt Sauron also have magic power and could do things like heal grievous wounds?
>>
>>52056627
Yeah but that guy was from a nation that had barely existed for a hundred years and started wars literally every 10 years for all of its existence.
>>
Lets not forget that Sauron is doing great humanitarien work. His actions saved thousands upon thousands of humans, labeled as "eastlings" from thirst and starvation.
>>
File: 1488242763167.jpg (56KB, 583x435px) Image search: [Google]
1488242763167.jpg
56KB, 583x435px
>>52056215
Philosophers are great at asking the right questions, but shit at giving the right answers.
What else is new under this sun?
>>
>>52056746
What's your point? If someone amasses armies and starts invading nearby lands they are starting shit and probably should get a good talking to.

Like America invading Iraq.
>>
>>52056419
>My understanding was that in at least one interpretation, an Orc is merely an "evil" elf. If an Orc stops being horrible all the time, it stops being an Orc.
Counterpoint: FĂ«anor is somehow not an orc.
>>
>>52056215
besides the fact that this kind of post-modern criticism has difficultly being applied to early and pre-modern kingdoms which populate middle earth-- it should be noted that Elves do not colonize or interfere with the other races. In fact, while the elves do have immanent power, they're reign is decayed and they are but faction in middle earth. It is Sauron and Saruman who destroy the good and peaceful realm through (without any kind of special reading into the text, btw) industrialization and enslavement. Sort of overlooked here. When you see the enslavement of men, hobbits and all other creatures of middle earth under the oppressive, yet distant and obscure reign of Sauron, I can't imagine Chomsky, and Fanon saying these things about the elves and not Mordor.
>>
>>52056215
>Guys, consider this, orcs dindu nuffin!
>>
>>52056229
>>52056218
>>52056215
"Hilarious" as that is the practical outcome would be Sauron curbstomping the entirety of Middle-Earth because he does not give a shit about such questions of philosophy or politics and the neighbour states are now in social unrest and therefore all the easier to subjugate.

Bravo. No all the places that were no so shit to live are under the domination of Sauron and the orcs are killing everyone who won't be enslaved under cruel conditions.

And that's without touching on the dindu nuffin.
>>
>>52056849
FEANOR DID NOTHING WRONG
>>
>>52056928
couldn't handle being rejected by galadriel because he wanted to sniff her hair, made some shiny rocks and fell so in love with them I'm surprised he didn't just make a crystal fleshlight instead, and things only got worse from there.

fucking FĂ«anor.
>>
>>52057168
>crystal fleshlights
WHAT FEANOR DID WITH THE SILMARILS IS NONE OF YOUR ERU-DAMNED BUSINESS
>>
>>52057168
There is nothing wrong with any of these things.
>>
What I like about this comic is that people on either extreme of the political spectrum think it conveys an important truth.
>>
>>52057196
>>
Existential Comics already did the same joke before, with Foucault criticizing Kant's Paladin for killing orcs.

There's https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/unused-audio-commentary-by-howard-zinn-and-noam-chomsky-recorded-summer-2002-for-the-fellowship-of-the-ring-platinum-series-extended-edition-dvd-part-one

And in a more self-important and less jokey style, you have Moorcock's Epic Pooh and The Last Ringbearer.

So yeah, it's a joke/criticism that has been done before, though OP's comic is still pretty good. Chomsky is spot on.
>>
>>52057432
Epic Pooh has been torn to pieces by anyone with a vague capability at criticism. It's honestly just one long autistic shriek of jealousy from Moorcock.
>>
>>52057252
Then maybe he should've learned to build a fucking boat himself.
>>
>>52057447

Oh yeah? That sounds interesting to read. Do you have any links?
>>
>>52057470
I'm on my phone, so having difficulty finding the right one.
>>
>>52057658
>I'm on my phone
Ew.
>>
>>52056215
>>52056218
>>52056229
It is funny, because, well, of course in LoTR that kind of thinking has no relevance, but it's quite relevant in our world where there is no ultimate evil descended from demons.

This is actually quite well thought arguments, and I can definitely see that they are right, if not for the ultimate evil of evilness that is Sauron. Applicable to the real world certainly.
>>
>>52056810
I don't think they're good at anything at all. Philosophy needed to stop being a thing when it gave rise to real science.
>>
>>52057432
>Moorcock criticises a group of celebrated writers of epic fantasy for children, including Tolkien, C. S. Lewis
>Moorcock accuses these authors of espousing a form of "corrupted Romance", which he identifies with Anglican Toryism
I laughed my guts out.
>>
>>52057791
>real science
This is the part where I tip my fedora to you, good sir.
>>
>>52057791
"Real science" as you call it is nothing more than a methodology and model construction. It doesn't replace philosophy at all.

t. engineer
>>
>>52057939
One produces results. The other produces philosophers.
>>
>>52056218
Why are there black people in Middle Earth
>>
>>52056229
>>52056218
>>52056215

Holy shit, I have never wanted to kill someone more
>>
>>52057784
>This is actually quite well thought arguments

They are arguments built around polls that ignore just how few in number everyone is compared to orcs. It's nothing but tyranny of the majority while ignoring all other evidence.

Calling those arguments well-thought out is missing most of the absurdity, even if you recognized this world has no Sauron.
>>
>>52058148
When that Chomsky says that nations create their own external enemy to ensure that the people don't look at their own domestic problems, he's right.

When he says that the external threats are often not that much of threat and are very frequently overblown, he's right.

When he's calling propaganda, he's right.

When he wonders who is really the aggressor, and look at history to prove that sometimes it is the 'good guys' who were the unrepentant aggressors, he's right.

When he's calling the shot on invading a peaceful sovereign nation and destroying it, he's right.

Sauron and the good vs evil of LoTR makes all those points entirely moot, but Chomsky arguments here are very valid in a real world.
>>
>>52058209
You're looking st the arguments wrong. It's not that they're right, but that they could be right. And in this particular case, they are dead wrong.

To argue that something that can be right is always right is a very naive fallacy.
>>
File: 1470587684613.jpg (154KB, 621x590px) Image search: [Google]
1470587684613.jpg
154KB, 621x590px
>>52058127
Fine, I'll bite.

You are looking at the problem from the industrial viewpoint. Just because someone gets a degree in Philosophy doesn't mean they actually deserve it.
That doesn't mean that philosophy as a whole is useless.

Let's take, for example, theoretical physicists that investigate, I dunno, the components and their ratios of the star matter, registering it via spectrum analysis.
Is it widely used in the modern culture from the viewpoint of bystander? No. Does that mean their work is useless? No.

Ethics is widely used when considering the application of the law. Logic is pretty much the basis of the entirety of math as we know it. Epistemology is what the entirety of scientific method is built upon.

What you broadly call "science" is just a method. A theory and an experiment. Conduct an experiment, observe the results, build a model that describes the result of the experiment AND of all the previously conducted experiments, call it a "theory", build an experiment to try and disprove the theory.
Rinse, repeat.

Completely disregarding the entire branch of philosophy simply because you can't see any tangible results from it isn't right. It influences minds, first and foremost. A tool without a conscience to wield it is nothing more than junk.

And yeah, before you ask, I majored in Electrical Engineering and minored in Biotech. Go and bug someone else.
>>
>>52056828
>and probably should get a good talking to.
>Like America invading Iraq.

Try it faggot.
>>
>>52058209
No they're not.

Despite what Chomsky thinks, not every nation on the world is post 1950ies America.
>>
>>52057470
>>52057784
This took a minute to find again: http://www.curtisweyant.com/blog/epic-pooh-pooh/

It's fairly even handed and avoids the histrionics of a lot of responses.
>>
>>52058256
Indeed systematic education doesn't guarantee good scientists/philosophers/politicians, only a steady stream of people that pass the minimum requirements and have memorised enough keywords.
>>
>>52058313
>systematic education doesn't guarantee good scientists/philosophers/politicians, only a steady stream of people that pass the minimum requirements and have memorised enough keywords.
>memorised enough keywords.

It's funny because rote memorization was considered the defintion of wisdom and intelligence in the classical era. Aristotle hated the idea of the written word because it made people lazy, no more would they memorize their histories, their treatise - reading instead would enable any idiot to learn and espouse poorly thought and incorrect interpretations of any given thing because they just got it right off of a page (or slate) like a lazy shit instead of spending days, weeks, memorizing and debating it.

Martin Luther echoed a similar lament after he realized spreading the gospel to the masses via printing caused massive fictionalization within Christianity. He regretted the protestant reformation later in life because it took spirituality and god out of the hands of philosophers and holy men and put it in the hands of every rich shithead who could afford a book
>>
File: Execution of Eol.jpg (88KB, 616x908px) Image search: [Google]
Execution of Eol.jpg
88KB, 616x908px
>>52056419

The common version is that orcs were made by Morgoth from elves via torture and debasement - and no doubt something we would consider magic.

It's worth noting that Tolkien recanted this idea however, and the published silmarillion features this idea only because the editor ignored Tolkien's handwritten note 'change this, orcs are NOT elves' - which is apparently underlined.

Tolkien produced an essay on the origins of orcs and their nature, and capacity for goodness, or not, and dithered back and forth a few times on whether or not orcs had souls, whether they were corrupted elves, or indeed, humans, interbred with beasts, or even simply repeating lines mechanically imbued into them by Morgoth and not sapient at all.

He never reached a final answer though.

Elves are indeed capable of malice and evil, without becoming orcs.

Pictured is the elven King of Gondolin executing Eöl, the Dark Elf - not a racial title this, but his own sobriquet - for murder. He was also a rapist.
>>
>>52056215
The writer of that comic is a Commie fuck who hates libertarians and anti-feminists.
>>
>>52058353
Orcs = Bad Tortured Elves always presented a number of problems, not least of which the fact that elves were never that numerous and even the lowest elves, the Sindarin, were superhuman. Orcs however are frequently referred to as weaker and meeker than a man, with the exception of the so called 'high orcs', or Sarumons Uruk Hai who were specially bred and created.

The issue is that Morgoth, being the Satan figure, CANNOT create. That power is denied him. So Orcs had to come from somewhere - but where would they come from, in a perfect world with no evil? Morgoth had to corrupt *something* to create them.

In my opinion the answer lays with things like Old Shelob and Tom Bombadill, both beings who are not a part of Eru's creation, yet somehow exist inside of it. Shelob's mother Ungoliant is said to come from the creeping darkness outside of creation, a sort of primordial chaos figure.

In my opinion Orcs are the descendants of smaller, more wretched spirits that crept into the world at it's birth, furtive pygmies clinging to the worlds underbelly.
>>
>>52058349
Memorisation, discussion and understanding, that was the flaw of the written word, a word book does not understand, nor does it explain or use locally relevant analogied, it just repeads word for word what was written a day, a year, a century, a revolution ago.

It's well enough for maths and physics but using "hard" memory for a "soft" field is silly.

Hell just nailing down language with words is a mess, poor old Shakespeare had his relevant puns, rhymes and dirty jokes murdered by fixing them as immutable words in a mutable language.

Or maybe i'm just rambling.
>>
>>52058422
Scholars will always try to pretend language is fixed and immutable

People who use it will always point, laugh, and continue to make shit up.

Protip: don't point this out to your English prof, reminding them the entire academic basis of their field is subject completely to the whimsy of the individual does not endear them.
>>
>>52058408
He posts regularly in Anarchist and Communist subreddits and he called Anthony Memetano a "reactionary" because he supported Capitalism in a video. His comics are shit.
>>
>>52058421

Sound hypothesis.

I believe that lesser Maiar as leading orcs is mentioned in History of Middle Earth - I think Tolkien specifically points out 'Boldog' - whose name is after all very similar to Balrog - the orc-captain from the Lay of Liethan - and hopefully the upcoming edition of Beren and Luthien! - might well be an Orc-formed Maiar.

There's a quote in the footnote here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boldog
>>
>>52058256
Tangible results are the only measurable ones, dude. The nebulous contribution of philosophy to human comfort has been superceded by methods which produce verifiable, tangible results.
>>
>>52058437
I'm glad i never spent time learning it in a class, lets me just enjoy it as a happy amateur instead.
>>
>>52058437
>don't point this out to your English prof
He's got tenure so he laughs with us about it.
>>
>>52058503
TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT DOWN TO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THROUGH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE, ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY..
>>
File: 1339492695946.jpg (227KB, 1235x766px) Image search: [Google]
1339492695946.jpg
227KB, 1235x766px
>>52058528
Tolkien, being a Catholic, believed that goodness and mercy were inherent in the nature of the universe, because it was the creation of a just and merciful god.

Alternatively, this. Git fukt Death.
>>
>>52058528
I don't need a philosopher to teach me mercy or justice, or science to dissect it for me. Some part of it is instinctively human, we get no credit for discovering it.
>>
>>52058591
Then what is merciful?
To let a sick child linger or grant it relief?
To let it give hope to it's parents in life or to make them move on?
>>
>>52058528
Doesn't that sort of logic extend to any particularly complex idea?
I mean, it's not like there are cheeseburger molecules. Some things literally require context to function.
>>
>>52058673
The difference is you can construct a cheeseburger out of things.

Justice and Mercy are concepts.
>>
>>52057432
>Moorcock's Epic Pooh
Literally "I don't like it so it's bad/reactionary."
>>
>>52058702
...But a cheeseburger is a concept by which we arrange things. Like, a cheeseburger can have lettuce and tomatoes, but it has to have a patty of some kind and cheese of some kind.
Justice and Mercy are 'recipes' for behaviors. Obviously, not all substitutions work, but just like cheeseburgers, there's a wide variety of interpretations and implementations, some of which are successful and some of which aren't.
>food metaphors
>>
>>52058723
See the critical response above. It's not just spiteful, but intellectually dishonest.
>>
>>52056390
>The last alliance only barely survived and without a blind luck crit by Isildor everyone would be dead
fuck yourself movie fag
>>
>>52058735
But they're not, if you're going to argue this, do a little more deeper thinking into what Justice and Mercy are.

Some people see killing a wounded animal as Mercy, others do not.

No matter how you try and cut it, a Cheeseburger is still made up of those composites to make a cheeseburger.

Mercy and Justice are concepts unique every time they are observed.
>>
>>52058503
>>52058591
I really need to write a "Philosophy for STEMfags" course someday.

There are multiple things that STEMfags use on a daily basis in math/programming/physics that descend directly from philosophy.

Pic very related, exactly why I said that philosophers ask questions, whereas science gives answers.
>>
File: mythic violence.jpg (74KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
mythic violence.jpg
74KB, 850x400px
>>52057812
He's right about CS Lewis though.
>>
>>52058767
Yes yes, and the automobile owes it's existence to the horse carriage. That doesn't make it relevant today, nor philosophy a useful field of study. Better things have replaced it.
>>
>>52058755
>No matter how you try and cut it, a Cheeseburger is still made up of those composites to make a cheeseburger.
Vegan, gluten-free non-dairy cheeseburger.
>>
>>52058540
Based Billy Boy Based
>>
>>52058790
Still made up of objective components.
>>
>>52058421
>So Orcs had to come from somewhere - but where would they come from, in a perfect world with no evil? Morgoth had to corrupt *something* to create them.

Have you heard the hypothesis first postulated in Morgoth's Ring, that the Orcs are not in fact sapient beings at all? The theory goes that Morgoth, being incapable of creation, had sculpted beasts into crude mockeries of the living and given them properties that for all intents and purposes appear intelligent - a sort of philosophical zombie built in rebellion against creation.

This is why Orcs have minds most similar to their master, and in fact hardly have minds beyond their master at all - for example, Black Speech is the language of Orcs, and it is an explicitly artificial language constructed by Sauron much like Doublethink is in 1984. In fact, this is why Orcs bred with men to produce Uruk-Hai are so efficient - Saruman and Sauron have finally been able to combine the bestial, unthinking Orc with man, and thereby increase their power by orders of magnitude (the lowly beast can never compare to a human, after all.)
>>
>>52056215
>>52056218
>>52056229
what's the point of doing this whole anarchism thing at tolkien who thought anarchism was pretty cool

i'm pretty sure it just doesn't apply
>>
>>52058755
Okay, so is as tofuburger with cheese a cheeseburger or not? Some people would say yes, and some people would threaten to shoot you for suggesting it.
The entire point of a concept is that it's a shared or at least approximately shared understanding of a situation. Dissonance occurs when one person's understanding of 'cheeseburger' or 'justice' differs from another. Attempting to resolve it by saying that there's no such thing just because not everyone can agree on what exactly makes it up doesn't seem like a correct solution. It's more like a general understanding than an absolute checklist.
>>52058811
But those 'objective components' violate the definition of cheeseburger for some people as much as the objective component of taking someone off life support violates the definition of Mercy to some people.
>>
>>52058819
So what you suggest is that Orcs are (at least not originally) sapient beings at all, but rather crude MACHINES which over time developed sentience on their own?
>>
>>52058811
Are they the component that make up a cheeseburger?

The dietary ship of theseus.

If they aren't the competent that make up a cheeseburger is it a cheeseburger?

What if the components are rearranges, or prepared differently?

is ti the preparation, arrangement, the name?

Of is a cheeseburger more than the
components?

Is the a universal inherent "cheeseburgerness"?
>>
>>52058843
You're confusing the names of things with the interpretation of things.

At the end of the day a Vegan, Gluten-Free Non-dairy Cheesegurger is still what it is.

Mercy and Justice have no objective meaning.
>>
>>52058836

Anarchists are butthurt that they're the villains of history, and thus like any ass-ravaged monster they try to tear down anything and everything they can get their hands on.

I don't trust movements that began the modern conception of terrorism.
>>
File: me and renzo.gif (682KB, 800x566px) Image search: [Google]
me and renzo.gif
682KB, 800x566px
>>52058836
Leo Tolstoy was a Christian Anarchist as well iirc
>>
>>52058870
>Anarchists are butthurt that they're the villains of history
Gosh, I wonder why they'd be upset with being misrepresented like that

Gosh, I really do wonder
>>
>>52058782
>That doesn't make it relevant today,
Funny guy.

Literally right now I am working on the project that concerns the technology embryos' genetic modification. My personal project concerns using the existing gene-mod techonology to enhance the cloning techniques.
Unless you define the ethics that concern clones, and what essential rights they have, and whether they should be treated as an object or a subject, you don't even know what to do next with it after you obtain the technology.
And don't even start me on AI.
>b-but it's the subject of law!
Yes, and law is created on the basis of ethics.

The society is formed by the philosophy that is available to it. If you live in the society, it's literally impossible to avoid being influenced with different kinds of philosophy.
>>
>>52058861

That is exactly what I'm suggesting, that Orcs are beasts driven by instinct and programmed by Melkor and Sauron to appear humanoid, perhaps out of some intense longing and envy towards the other races of the world.
>>
>>52058836
Tolkien wasn't pro-Anarchist, he was just against Large structures of Government and prefered the Older Anglo-Saxon methods of governance of a Community Within a Community.
>>
>>52058843
Is philosophy the study of presenting opinion as fact?

Or the opposite and in so acknowledging that there are no facts and the discipline itself is a handy way of ensuring permanent employment with no discernible criteria for performance or verifiable results?
>>
>>52058891
>Gosh, I wonder why they'd be upset with being misrepresented like that

Isn't there a bombing or assassination you should be trying to excuse, brother?
>>
>>52058891
>misrepresented
Implying
>>
>>52058895
This would be fitting and especially ironic given the anti-industrial bent of Tolkiens works

Orcs are literally manifestations of unfeeling artifice attempting to clumsily ape life
>>
>>52058891
How do you misrepresent the most stupid political idea ever

>Just build a society without a society bro
>>
>>52058908
Honestly, I have no idea. The longer I spend in academia, the more I start to think that as your pay grade goes up, your percentage chance to have your head planted firmly in your ass goes up as well.
>>
>>52058912
Are you implying these aren't utilised by hierarchical governments as well?
>>
File: everybody sucks.jpg (43KB, 540x405px) Image search: [Google]
everybody sucks.jpg
43KB, 540x405px
>>52058912
Isn't there a country you should be invading for their natural resources?

>>52058914
Implying implications.

>>52058928
Can you even name a single work of anarchist theory?
>>
>>52058943
The Anarchists cookbook :^)
>>
>>52058933
Of course, in soft fields you can only get booted if you admit being wrong or preforming criminal actions.
>>
>>52058950
>theory
>cookbook
Besides, there are far better books if you want to learn nifty things, like learning how to make explosives, poisons and weapons in garage conditions.
Anarchist Cookbook is a meme full of recipes that don't even work most of the time.
>>
File: realestate.jpg (472KB, 798x599px) Image search: [Google]
realestate.jpg
472KB, 798x599px
>>52058950
{|*|;^) You are funny guy. In luxury gulag you get extra serving of boiled celery.
>>
>>52058893
Philosophy as an academic pursuit has no influence on applied ethics in the real world.
>>
>>52059022
>philosophy in general has no influence on a specific branch of phisolophy
What did he mean by that?
>>
>>52056215
>>52056218
>>52056229
Funny thing about "elves" being a threat is that after the fall of Sauron the elves subsequently fucked off away.
But I wouldn't expect a mere man to understand elves.
>>
>>52059022
you are a special kind of retard aren't you?
>>
>>52056215
>>52056218
>>52056229
>it didn't end with orcs killing everyone
Disappointing.
>>
>>52058256
>Logic is pretty much the basis of the entirety of math as we know it.

Bullshit. Math is not reducible to logic.
>What is the Frege-Russell Paradox?
>>
>>52059186
You prefer the common retard?
>>
>>52059038
Look, you know how 'proper' English asserts that you can't end a sentence with a preposition or use 'they/them' as a gender neutral singular pronoun? You know how people do it anyway?

It's like that, but more pronounced. No one cares about academic philosophy except academia. Certainly not voters.
>>
Destroying the one Ring is still important though. Its a mind control weapon when worn by others that Sauron intends to regain so he can get his full power go and try to conquer Middle-Earth AGAIN. There's no reason to start being revolutionary before Saurons armies are defeated and the ring is destroyed
>>
>>52056215
>>52056218
>>52056229
I think the guy who did his is quite aware that he's strawmaning hard and only did it because the image of orcs murdering everyone afterward is hiarious.
>>
>>
>>52059447
DAMNIT wrong thread
>>
>>52059458
>instead of deleting my post, I will make a second post highlighting my mistake
>>
>>52056927
thats the joke
>>
File: Ancap ball.png (200KB, 547x402px) Image search: [Google]
Ancap ball.png
200KB, 547x402px
>>52058914
>>52058928
>Implications

The freer the market the freer the people.
>>
>>52059398
>No one cares about academic philosophy except academia. Certainly not voters.
Voters don't care about academia solely because they are conditioned to by the government.

It is easier to maintain the vicious cycle of ignorance than to deal with educated electorate.
>>
>>52058893
>Literally right now I am working on the project that concerns the technology embryos' genetic modification. My personal project concerns using the existing gene-mod techonology to enhance the cloning techniques.
>Unless you define the ethics that concern clones, and what essential rights they have, and whether they should be treated as an object or a subject, you don't even know what to do next with it after you obtain the technology.

They're people, just like everyone else. They have the same rights as everyone else, and are governed by the same ethics that concern any other baby; it doesn't matter whether someone was conceived in their mother's womb or a test tube, a person is still a person.

There. A simple answer to a "hard" question.
>>
>>52059715
This, I don't see why it's that fucking hard.
The main objection I have to cloning (and it's a pretty fucking big one) is that cloning people implicitly treats them as objects to be produced at will rather than people.
>>
>>52056323
more like /his/, but also shut up
>>
>>52059681
Voters don't care about academia because they live in the world of facts, not incestuous theory.
>>
>>52056215
>>52056218
>>52056229

Funny idea for a strip, but punchline was crap. Last panel needed to be orcs slaughtering everybody.
>>
>>52059757
Theory allows to make an accurate prognosis based upon existing facts and predict the following results.
I don't know why that is so hard to understand.
>>
>>52059788
Not in social sciences, philosophy, or economics, all of which simply don't work outside of their petri dishes. The only exception is psychology, and it's a fucking mess, just marginally functional.
>>
>>52059437
The entire shtick of that webcomic is placing philosophers and their arguments in these out-of-context situations, for comedic effect. So yes, he's "strawmaning hard", because that is the joke, anon.
>>
>>52059801
This is why you are taught multiple theories in "social sciences, philosophy, or economics" - because those theories are not universal, and you have to be able to recognize the situations for what they are and apply the required theory.

It's not like in physics where the Einstein's theory of relativity clearly supercedes Newtonian mechanics, and where you can every single topic is basically a subset of a more general topic.
>>
>>52059266
Surely the frege Russell dialogue completely validates philosophy as a study, not even mentioning gettiers later input
>>
>>52059715
>>52059734
>I said a thing. The debate is over.
>Can't you see that I have said a thing! How can you continue debating with me now that I have said a thing!
>philosophy is invalid because I am right all the time. It's true, because I said it.
>>
File: party of nine revolutionaries.jpg (377KB, 1200x882px) Image search: [Google]
party of nine revolutionaries.jpg
377KB, 1200x882px
>>52056275
>what's missing is the last panel with a bunch of orcs eating them alive with
Come on. Form party of nine revolutionaries? Doesn't RING a bell?

Last panel is something like this.

>>52056326
> That's an ugly Elrond.
At least he is not Mialee.

>>52057784
> but it's quite relevant in our world where there is no ultimate evil descended from demons.
It's like you've turned on TV.

>>52058148
> tyranny of the majority
Goddamit. This is the ur-argument about not giving people right to vote.
>>
>>52059912
I think so, but philosophy's problems in the present day is it's an incestuous, narcissistic discipline interested only in itself, with papers and books covering too-narrow bullshit of interest to no one but philosophers.
>>
>>52060002
>not giving people right to vote.
You mean to not pretend that pure democracy ever worked.
>>
>>52060027
How democracy is even supposed to "work"?
>>
>>52060005
Youve literally described 4chan and opinions of things they dont like, like philosophy- go to a good institution and youll see important research within philosophy on the self, AIs, medical ethics etc
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOOTKA0aGI0

I must say, this has been around for over 40 years at least, but only today do we have people sufficiently brainwashed to get triggered by something like this.
>>
>>52060143
>triggered
>he doesn't post the most triggering Monty Python sketch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFBOQzSk14c
>>
>>52060074
Is this your first time discussing politics?
>>
File: aynrand.jpg (61KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
aynrand.jpg
61KB, 1280x720px
>>52059022
>>
>>52058861
Fits their industrialism.
>>
>>52059788
>Theory allows to make a guess based upon existing opinions, predict the following results and then blame someone else when it turns out wrong.
>>
>>52060442
That's just immature human's nature to not assume responsibility for his own decisions.
>>
>>52060459
"There are liars, there are outrageous liars, and there are purpose recruited scientific experts."
>>
File: schwarbage.jpg (74KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
schwarbage.jpg
74KB, 900x900px
>>52056215
Postmodernism is neo-marxist cancer.
>>
>>52056215
>>52056218
>>52056229

I see your post modernism and raise the stakes by submitting the greatest comic strip of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAh9oLs67Cw
>>
>>52062185
>1:01:23
Nigga I don't come to 4chan to get my lecture credit. Sum that shit up.
>>
>>52060848
This, senpai.
>>
>>52056229
>Dwarf
>Kinslaying

No.
>>
File: liberals.jpg (51KB, 465x426px) Image search: [Google]
liberals.jpg
51KB, 465x426px
>>52056215
>>52056218
>>52056229
>>
>>52056390
What was his plan if Tom Bombadil got it?
>>
>>52056828
America invaded Iraq to set up a new leader, same as Japan and Germany. The justification was flimsy, but it stands that the US did not pillage or annex Iraq.
>>
>>52060848
>Herp de derp critical thinking and open-mindedness are bad
>Also slavery is freedom, war is peace and hate is love

How are them alt-facts treating you, anon?
>>
>>52058132
Merchants.
>>
>>52058528
Coming from the guy who kept the Hogfather alive to provide a sense of wonder to mankind.
>>
>>52058861
Just like Germans!
>>
>>52063394
I'm sure that that's a great comfort to the friends and families of the dead and those who got fucked up in the resulting anarchy.
>>
>>52063462
That was kind of the point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBnENlXt-H4
>>
>>52063572
Its the middle east, m8. Stability is a temporary state bought with the blood of an "other" group.
>>
>>52063572
So the Sunni and Shia achieved homeostasis in blood loss.

Don't blame the US for it.
>>
>>52057295
Because it does.
>>
>>52063704
Iraq was in an objectively better state before US intervention than it's in now.

Sure it was a brutal military dictatorship and there was the odd Kurdish massacre but the nation was functioning and the extremists were kept down.

Now it's a shit hole that doesn't function, there is little to no law anyone respects, a substantial chunk of the military that was disbanded found employment in ISIS and if anything things are actually worse for the Kurds.

Stability is only temporary until it is not.
>>
>>52063751
Actually, most of Iraq has a stable government. Its just full of corruption, oppresses (but not eliminates) a minority, and can't control the wilderness against rebel coalitions or prevent attacks inside safe zones.

The US turned Iraq from a sectarian dictatorship into a South American democracy.
>>
>>52058861
I knew it! The Orcs were ROBOTS!
>>
>>52060238
Holy shit.
>>
>>52060318
>Ayn
>philosophy
lel
>>
>>52060002
>Goddamit. This is the ur-argument about not giving people right to vote.
to be clear, middle earth was not known for its democratic governments, and whereas a large number of orcs voting to institute the rule of Sauron might overwhelm a small number of others voting for the opposite without any ethical fault, a large number of orcs stabbing to elect Sauron has no such innocence when it overwhelms a small set of others stabbing for the opposite.
>>
>>52063401
Hey, I've seen /pol/-/tg/ crossposters argue that intentionally abusive absolute monarchy is the system of government most respectful of the individual dignity of its citizens, citing the fact that they promote the capricious disregard of common people's agency and lives in the name of a king's whims as evidence of this.
>>
>>52060143
>I must say, this has been around for over 40 years at least, but only today do we have people sufficiently enlightened to get the tastelessness of something like this.
FTFY
>>
>>52060238
I chuckled heartily. How did they know? This was in 1979 when they made that joke.
>>
>>52056438

Feanor.

Wasn't turned into an orc.

Undoubtedly an evil kinslaying prick.

Muh oath mufugga.
>>
>>52069087
Do you really think the recognition of transgender issues started with Millenials?
>>
>>52069275
One of the first gender reassignment surgeries happened in the 1930s or 1940s.
>>
>>52070015
Berlin 1931, Dora Richter, to be precise. This shit ain't new.
>>
>>52063394
>the US did not pillage or annex Iraq

Counterpoint: Halliburton
>>
>>52063346
Win and then figure out some way to get it from Tom (probably simply for the asking).

Remember, Sauron doesn't need the One Ring to win. He was winning anyway. The other folk of Middle Earth needed to destroy the One Ring as their only actual hope of winning.
>>
>>52070034
>>52070015

>2 years later, Hitler

Unironically made me think.
>>
File: feanor rejection.png (246KB, 500x515px) Image search: [Google]
feanor rejection.png
246KB, 500x515px
>>52069259
honestly, feanor was the closest to an orc among all the elves, except maybe eol and maeglin. He made weapons and crazy inventions, and as mentioned, kinslaying prick. It's like if an orc was well refined and well funded.
>>
>>52070102
Paid by the American taxpayer.
>>
>>52070190
>1937 - Hobbit published
>2 years later, WWII

Makes you think.
>>
>>52059321
Yes. They at least know they are retarded. So much better.
>>
>>52056215
All marxists should swing from lampposts if for nothing more than their mentally defective comics alone.
>>
>>52057784
>there is no ultimate evil
Moral relativism is proven wrong in philosophy 101, dipshit.
>>
>>52069275
Yes, because every previous generation was intelligent enough to slap those mentally defective piles of shit down before retards thought they had rights.
>>
>>52070671
that still doesn't mean there is an ingenious, malevolent demigod intent on the obliteration of all would oppose his bleak reign
>>
>>52058528
Chesterton would bitch slap your ass.
>>
>>52071280
BUT I DON'T HAVE AN ASS. COMES WITH THE TERRITORY, I SUPPOSE.

>grins like a skeleton
>>
>>52059841
Except that's rarely the case and left wing ideologies utterly dominate Academia.
>>
>>52071298
He'd rattle your bones well and good then.
>>
>>52058878
Yes, but later in his years he eventually settled in to being a firm Georgist.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/27774022?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents
>>
>>52058540
Pretty sure that's not contradictory to what Death was saying in a sense. Since he is just a mechanism of the universe he can't take part in creating those things, that shit's for mortals.
>>
>>52059715
And what about growing only organs? Genetically human, just modified to grow differently
>>
>>52058353
Because Tolkien never had a final word on what anything is. He wrote and rewrote and tossed things, everything, out dozens of times. The Silmarillion is merely the collection of the most complete version of the legendium, because he never went so far with any alternative idea.

This is the same with the explanation of the orcs. He NEVER had a solid idea of what an orc was, and he never provided ANY finalized alternative explanation, so there's no reason not to consider them corrupted elves unless you really get off on piecing different versions of he legendium together into your own personal vision.
>>
>What are Half-Trolls?
>>52058132
>>
Just wanted to say that this thread was instrumental in reinvigorating my interest in writing my thesis.

Thanks /tg/
>>
>>52071915

>Getting a degree in the humanities

What are you, gay?
>>
>>52071930

Yes.
>>
>>52063306
Ants usually just annihilate any ant that does not cooporate, thanks to the whole hive thing, it is impossible to hide subversive actions.
>>
>>52071915

It's necessary if I want to teach English.
I actually LIKE teaching.
>>
>>52056716
Maybe it's a voldemort type situation, where he needed physical form in order to be powerful, despite having the power to fix himself when in physical form.
>>
>>52071959
That's exactly why Ants are in line to inherit the earth. Not sure exactly where they are in the order, but they're certainly there, their society works pretty well.
>>
>>52059841
So your soft fields are nothing more than doublethink.
>>
Has anyone ever looked at the borders of the Shire in the fourth era? They become really overinflated and take all usable land, to the point where it looks like there's no free land for Men to dwell in Arnor.
>>
>>52072664

Did Tolkien actually make a fourth era map?
>>
>>52072678
There's one in the History of Middle Earth. But you know he describes all the landmarks and the bounds of the shire to the point where it's easy to see there's basically nothing left. It's basically just Bree and a bunch of unlivable highlands.
>>
>>52056275
>the institutions of the elves both predate and surpass sauron in their scope and magnitude
but that's wrong
>>
>muh "science is just facts I don't need your prissy philosophy!"

You need this: Thomas Kuhn, The Structure of Scientific Revolutions. Even in science itself, questions of method, assumptions about the world, and ontological problems precede actual investigation. Even the bedrocks of contemporary scientific understanding-- empiricism, positivism, naturalism, etc.--are themselves questions of philosophy.
>>
>>52072215
I hear that the condition passes with time.
>>
>>52071860

Thank you for reiterating what I said in a more confrontational way?
>>
>>52057432
this is existential comics. literally their front page rn
>>
>>52073610
The dangusis arguing against philosohphy aren't going to notice this, sadly, because they're too educated stupid to see that arguments like>>52059715
don't exist on their own, and are the result of a lifetime of conditioning and socialization to give them values that seem "easy" and "simple".
Most STEMmos are Game of Thrones watching knuckle draggers.
>>
>>52074084
I think the best way to get across the point is simply that there are questions about reality that science is incapable of answering by design.

Empiricism can't be proven or verified.
>>
>>52056309
>that story is a story of a shit DM who wasn't willing to listen to what his players wanted a campaign about
You're a retard. There is no cosmos in which making a game about bringing gay rights to the middle ages to appease an idiot SJW makes sense.
>>
>>52057784
>This is actually quite well thought arguments
>Foucault
>ever having anything like an idea that can bear even surface scrutiny
Check yourself, then neck yourself
>>
>>52074084
>>52074178
>>52073610
Philosophy is trash and will always be trash.

Moreover, moral relativism is for edgy teenagers. Anyone arguing clones don't deserve rights would be arguing x ethnicity didn't deserve rights two centuries ago, same type of person.
>>
>>52074381

>Anyone arguing clones don't deserve rights would be arguing x ethnicity didn't deserve rights two centuries ago, same type of person.

But philosophy is arguing that rights should exist/what they mean. You can't argue that clones deserve rights without Philosophy having the idea of rights in the first place.
>>
>>52074409
Moral relativism is for edgy teenagers.
>>
>>52074417

And? Morality in any form, relative or otherwise, is philosophy.
>>
>>52057784
>but it's quite relevant in our world where there is no ultimate evil descended from demons.
What are Marxists?
>>
>>52074441
Only a philosopher or philosophy fanboy like >>52074084
would argue moral relativism, everyone else doesn't even consider that kind of shit.
>>
>>52074461

I'm not talking moral relativism. Even if you work with moral absolutism, talking about what those absolutes are/what is the moral option in complex examples is the purview of philosophy.
>>
>>52057470
The TLDR of Epic Pooh is more or less "Tolkien was evil because he made something spectacular and it's neither materialist, socialist realism propagandistic nor jewish enough".
Moorcock really is a little bitch about those kind of things. I recall him being really upset that what used to be his home street is no longer full of working class english people but gentrified. (ignoring of course that it was the immigrants driven off by gentrification who more or less drove out the working class people and that he himself lives a bourgie as fuck lifestyle)
>>
>>52074461
you have to be baiting right?

even STEM majors have to take a philosophy course and ethics 101 debunks moral relativism on like day 3.

There isn't a philosopher of any import arguing for relativism lmao
>>
>>52074503
>The TLDR of Epic Pooh is more or less "Tolkien was evil because he made something spectacular and it's neither materialist, socialist realism propagandistic nor jewish enough".

Sounds like an amusing bitchfit.
>>
File: baito ze .jpg (100KB, 759x377px) Image search: [Google]
baito ze .jpg
100KB, 759x377px
>>52058976
why is this pic right-to-left
>>
>>52074503

Yeah, I just went and read it...wow.

Just wow.

It reads like the rantings of an angry counterculture punk railing at anything he can get his hands on as he's becoming increasingly out of touch with the world about him and thus needs something big to define himself as the rebel against.
>>
>>52058421
>In my opinion the answer lays with things like Old Shelob and Tom Bombadill, both beings who are not a part of Eru's creation, yet somehow exist inside of it. Shelob's mother Ungoliant is said to come from the creeping darkness outside of creation, a sort of primordial chaos figure.
*Not part of Eru's plan as relayed to the Valar and Maiar, their actual origins are unknown but may come from Eru originally.
>>
File: 1486756458887.jpg (120KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1486756458887.jpg
120KB, 500x500px
Sorta unrelated but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl4bkIGgiyc

YYYYOOOOOOO SON
>>
>>52074461
Sorry I upset you, buttblasted STEM
sorry not sorry
>>
>>52071785
>If you cut off your hand, is it its own person?
>>
>>52075544
Educate yourself, mate-o.
http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/12/what-makes-you-you.html
>>
>>52075949
That's some great shit.
>>
File: 1454294476656.jpg (76KB, 622x297px) Image search: [Google]
1454294476656.jpg
76KB, 622x297px
>>52069087
Bitches been crazy forever.
>>
>>52077075
>it's "the ones who suffer at war the most are women, because they see their men die" episode
[screams internally]
>>
>>52077075
>drowning in frigid waters with zero hope of survival
>watching the boat sink
>EQUALLY HARD SITUATIONS
every time I see this it sets me right fucking off
>>
>>52077075
I mean the first lady has a point, it was chivalry enforced at gunpoint by the crew wasn't it?

Little miss "Equally Hard" can suck my equally hard dick however.
>>
>>52077075
>guy says something dumb
>"that guy is dumb"
>girl says something dumb
>"all girls are dumb"

Eagerly awaiting someone to bestow white knighthood on me!
>>
>>52077587
>guy from different culture says something dumb
>"that whole culture is dumb"
>>
>>52077828
>guy from a different website says something dumb
>"that entire website is dumb"
:^)
>>
>>52077075
This makes me somewhat annoyed.
>>
File: 4c5.jpg (16KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
4c5.jpg
16KB, 300x300px
>>52056275
>what's missing is the last panel with a bunch of orcs eating them alive with sauron laughing in the background while his high-minded infiltrators take over rulership of their new territories, which they delivered into his hands. wormtongue, except worse.

The inability to not heavy-handedly drive one's point into the fucking ground is exactly why right-wingers are incompetent at humor.

If this was a Ben Garrison comic, it would have just been your last panel, and everyone would have "SJW KEK" labels pasted on them.
>>
>>52077828
>Whole culture is dumb
>"It's just that guy from culture who is dumb."
>>
>>52078592
The problem with that statement is that while a given individual (arguably) has a specific level of mental capability, a given culture, being a set of ideas and experiences considered relevant to the manufacture of a given identity, cannot. In case it's unclear, this is because cultures, being categorized ideas, lack brains, let alone cognitive functions, and cannot think in any sense of the word.
>>
>>52078540
>The inability to not heavy-handedly drive one's point into the fucking ground is exactly why right-wingers are incompetent at humor.

Pretty true.

>"I'd better make this a little more obvious just to make sure everyone understands!"

Looking at you, Mallard Fillmore. Every libtard is cross-eyed, yet somehow that's the most subtle aspect of the comic.
>>
>>52058209

Found the Polack/SJW.

>>52058279

Chomsky said the Khmer Rouge dindu nuffin.

>>52058408

Does he protect his wife's son?

>>52058349
>>52058422
>>52058437
>>52058518
>>52058767

>t. Social Science Niggers

>>52058908

That goes for other Social Sicences/Humanities.

>>52058933

You have to let Jamal Nigg Dyroska get a degree somewhere!

>>52058972

Or forget some trigger warnings.

>>52059841

Don't you have a Gender Studies class to attend?

>>52063401

Let me guess, you say Islam is a religion of peace that's a victim of Whitey. And that all Black Dysfunction is Whitey's fault.

Oh, and that women have contributed just as much to men in the actual sciences. Along with Niggers and Muslims making loads of accomplishments in the actual sciences.

>>52074084

>reddit

>>52075072

>is taking White Guilt Studies

>>52078540

Hey there tumblr.
>>
File: l8119NDne1t0mexao1_1280.jpg (103KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
l8119NDne1t0mexao1_1280.jpg
103KB, 600x800px
>>52079270
Thank you for responding to everyone at once. I'm sure everyone here was just champing at the bit to hear your opinion.
>>
>>52056215
>>52056218
>>52056229
>Literal Orcish saboteurs operating in Bree
>W-well y-you're the ones whose fault this is because you're racist!

I'm starting to understand why Lenin had so many of his own ideological supporters shot. If these people were backing me I'd have them all drowned in an inch of piss the moment I took power.
>>
>>52079282

>is from reddit
>>
File: 14837737810.jpg (34KB, 473x256px) Image search: [Google]
14837737810.jpg
34KB, 473x256px
>>52079304
I'm honestly baffled people ITT have had the joke go over their heads THIS badly. It's trivially obvious that the philosophers here are wrong, are intended to BE wrong, and are meant to be shown as farcical parodies of the schools of thought they represent.
>>
>>52079320
Got any proof, senpai? Or are you just deflecting away from me implying that you're a moron for deciding to shitpost at everyone in this thread at once?
>>
File: f84.png (615KB, 1099x800px) Image search: [Google]
f84.png
615KB, 1099x800px
>>52078540
We're learning. The future of right-wing humor is performance art. So far we're way better at this IRL trolling thing than the left.
>>
>>52079270
You are really really bad at this
also pretending to be a retard its also being a retard.
>>
>>52079270

IN A WORLD WHERE PEOPLE CAN POST ON 4CHAN

ONE MAN

*explosion noises*

IS TAKING IT ALL IN

*screaming, gunfire*

AND LETTING IT ALL OUT

*more explosion noises*

HE'S GOING TO TELL IT EXACTLY LIKE IT IS

HE IS

THE REPLY GUY
>>
>>52079547
>>52079564

>tumblr
>>
>>52079625
The website where I get my amateur porn?

What about it?
>>
It all ultimately boils down to who initiated aggression against whom. AFAIK Sauron atacked Isildur, so Isildur and any people hired by him had the right to strike back at the dark lord. However I believe the non-aggression principle concerns individuals, not groups. If orcs are not mindless automatons, every one of them should be protected from aggression unless they themselves violate the NAP.
>>
File: Minor Flaw (Inhuman).jpg (75KB, 900x623px) Image search: [Google]
Minor Flaw (Inhuman).jpg
75KB, 900x623px
>>52079270
>tfw I got (You)'d at least two times, being called a Social Science fag and a Gender Studies fag
>tfw I've majored in Electrical Engineering/ minored in Biotech, wrote my Master's thesis related to Medical Science, and currently working on the gene-mod/cloning project
>tfw I'm probably one of the very few people in the world even remorely close to bringing my waifu into reality as a homunculus
I'm laughing so hard right now.
>>
>>52079732
>ook
>>
File: CyX34EnXAAA6iSj.jpg (168KB, 1000x861px) Image search: [Google]
CyX34EnXAAA6iSj.jpg
168KB, 1000x861px
>>
>>52079843
Whatever you do, don't call the librarian a monkey.
>>
>>52079348
Satire is dead.
>>
>>52058943
>Name a single work of anarchist theory
Libertarian Manifesto, Spontaneous Order, and Machinery of Freedom to name more than one.
>>
File: capitalism-exploitation-comic.png (109KB, 1160x420px) Image search: [Google]
capitalism-exploitation-comic.png
109KB, 1160x420px
>>
>>52079950
to be fair, anarcho-capitalism is not anarchism
>>
>>52079348
>I'm honestly baffled people ITT have had the joke go over their heads THIS badly. It's trivially obvious that the philosophers here are wrong, are intended to BE wrong, and are meant to be shown as farcical parodies of the schools of thought they represent.

You're posting on a website where the most common reply to an obvious joke is "NICE BAIT, FAGGOT, WEAK TROLL 1/10 TRY HARDER NEXT TIME, I DIDN'T BELIEVE YOUR POST ACTUALLY HAPPENED".
>>
File: 1484458731049.jpg (8KB, 231x219px) Image search: [Google]
1484458731049.jpg
8KB, 231x219px
>>52079953

>west impoverishes a continent with imperialism
>It's okay to enslave a continent because they're now poor

Child sex slavery is noble because they'll starve otherwise.
>>
>>52080111
>>52079953
To be fair, that's exactly the subject for an ethics debate.

Is enslavement okay if it turns the uncultured slave into an educated man?
Place your bets, ladies and gentlemen.
>>
>>52080111

>We Wuz Kangz

Keep pretending India (or whatever non-White mudput) was better off before Whitey. Do you blame Whitey for the lack of great Black civilizations too?
>>
>>52079982
>it's not real anarchism

Why do you faggots always make excuses like this? I thought it was just the communists.
>>
File: 10293847567.png (492KB, 747x714px) Image search: [Google]
10293847567.png
492KB, 747x714px
ITT more proof that nerds are natural reactionaries.
>>
>>52080471

Being a reactionary comes from noticing how little Niggers and women contribute for how much we pretend how important they are.
>>
>>52080111
>>west impoverishes a continent with imperialism
>built hospitals and schools
>introduced western science
>ended caste system in India
>""""""""Impoverished"""""""""
If anything, the end of colonialism made life worse in most post-colonial societies. India, while certainly nowhere close to the worst case, is a mess with government corruption and poorly-maintained infrastructure. When the British still reigned over India, at least the colonial centers were maintained.

The same is true for Africa. Many African states couldn't function after the colonists left or were forced out.
>>
>>52080518

They Wuz Kangz N' Shieeeetttttttt!
>>
>>52080471
>says a person that the next minute would blame the jocks for being stupid.
Frankly this person just thinks in terms of steriotypes.
>>
File: because it was funny.jpg (121KB, 768x768px) Image search: [Google]
because it was funny.jpg
121KB, 768x768px
>>52080471
>>
>>52080532
Kangs over underutilized dirt, maybe
>>
>>52079982
Well, maybe you should read those books listed.
>>
File: ancap.jpg (103KB, 507x768px) Image search: [Google]
ancap.jpg
103KB, 507x768px
>>52080449
>anarcho-capitalism: Ayn Rand
>anarchism: Max Stirner
There, did I make it easy for you to understand?
>>
>>52080579
>Implying that means anything
>>
>>52080547

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxRAwVKW6MI
>>
>>52080579
>Stalinist Communism: Stalin
>Maoist Communism: Mao
See, I can make no true Scotsman statements too!
>>
>>52080595
>implying it doesn't
Anarcho-capitalism obeys an arbitrary set of rules.
Anarchism doesn't.
>>
>>52080579

>tumblr
>>
File: 1432275411100.png (185KB, 1139x291px) Image search: [Google]
1432275411100.png
185KB, 1139x291px
>>52056275
Picture related.
>>
>>52080111
ayo we wuz kangs n shiet
>>
>>
>>52080724
Everything is traditional games.
Nothing is traditional games.
Traditional games don't exists.
>>
>>52080394
Educating slaves is wrong because it gives them the idea that you owe them. Either don't take slaves or don't try to uplift them.
>>
>>52080724
something something alignment discussion

>>52080763
>Everything is traditional games.
>Except collaborative roleplay, that goes to >>>/qst/ and lewd roleplay, that goes to >>>/soc/
At least the imagedumps are not getting banned now.
>>
>>52080669
Still a retarded DM who was buttmad no one liked his cliche-ridden "ooooh there's a lich" "plot".
>>
>>52080619
You say that, but the things you point out are true.
>>
>>52081205
It's funny how when that was first posted, so many replies were "what a shitty GM". Here we are five years later and it's still getting posted as epic trolling fodder.
https://warosu.org/tg/thread/20649377

This post was pretty funny though, in a depressing sort of way.
>>
>>52056419

Well, let's look at your image instead for a bit and discuss it. I have several thoughts. Primarily that the Dragon in the top picture is superior, in design, coloration,even in posture. it feels more like something that can exist in its environment.

Let's also look at the colors. You have a much more dramatic landscape in the second, but the first is much more vibrant and better realized. Less blurry.

Then, of course, we have the two elves. The top elf is by bar the more interesting looking of the two, the one of the bottom is quite generic by today's standards.

The two versions of the Human females have equal place, in terms of of basic design, but the giant warhammer makes little sense for a character dressed more like a mage or sorceress in the bottom picture.

The barbarian, at the top, is also far better realized. Yes, the bottom one does have better muscle definition, but everything else is wrong.

I can't say I'm fond of either Dark Elf.

The Ogre and Troll on top are much more interesting, especially since we're talking about a game where they actually choose to depict the size of the Ogre with no apologies for just how large that would be.

Both Dwarves readily have their place, though the weapon of the top Dwarf is far more sensible.

The characters unmentioned at the top include a hobbit, a Paladin or Knight of some sort and a Ranger. Each of these have their place, and their design are all pleasantly thought out, not too extreme or over the top.

The knight on the bottom however suffers from massive weaponry, massive shoulder pads and all sorts of pointless nonsense. The orc and cat person share very similar issues.

The little lizard dude is cool though.
>>
>>52058908
Philosiphy gets shit because whenever it finds answers, that portion breaks off and forms a field of study. Like natural sciences started out as philosiphy, specifically natural philosophy, then started breaking off when we started finding real hard answers. Psychology, physics, chemistry, biology ect trace back to philosophy.

Philosophy can't give you hard answers because if it could, it would not be philosophy.
>>
>>52074732
This. The fact that his ideology now runs the British establishment makes it all the more tragic.
>>
You know, sometimes something is just evil and just needs to be stopped.
>>
>>52081205
>cliche-ridden "ooooh there's a lich" "plot".
Well, the last time somebody tried to get rid of everyone with a phylactery it really was a tale of epic proportions.
>>
>>52058209
>peaceful sovereign nation
Please show me one of these.
>>
>>52082508
Just having a big scale doesn't make it good.
>>
>>52080544
what is this age we are living in
i want out
I just want to spend all my time and lifeforce with my furry waifus
>>
>>52082820

Reminder that Chomsky supported the Khmer Rouge who dindu nuffin.
>>
>>52056275
ITS A JOKE
THEYRE PHILOSOPHERS
THEYRE GOING ON AND ON ABOUT WHAT THEY WROTE ABOUT IN A HUMOROUS FASHION BECAUSE WE THE AUDIENCE KNOW THAT THERES A THREAT BUT THEYRE TALKING ABOUT REAL WORLD LEFTIST THOUGHT
DO YOU GET IT YET YOU FUCKING IDIOT
>>
>>52082435
If you fight evil, evil wins.
>>
>>52084871
So you're saying the best way to fight evil is to fight good?
>>
>>52058437
>Scholars will always try to pretend language is fixed and immutable

language is not ummutable
but I still lament certain changes

literally now no longer having any meaning is just sad
>>
>>52084812
There's this nagging inkling that the maker of this comic may actually agree with what they are saying.
>>
>>52085173
Poe's Law.
>>
>>52058943
>Isn't there a country you should be invading for their natural resources?
can you empirically prove why invading other countries is bad?
>>
>>52060143
It's all in the execution m8
monty phython and the holy grail was funny
the comic op posted was not

In fact, I think it was the wrong format.
Grab the same comic but make a bunch of comedians act it out, it would be funny
just reading it isn't.
>>
>>52060143
I have heard literally every line of monty python and the holy grail out of context over the years.

When I finally watched it, I couldn't laugh because I had heard all the jokes already
It sucks not being able to experience the jokes fresh.
/blog
>>
>>52074084
>educated stupid
Hows the time cube site going my man?
>>
>>52078540
>The inability to not heavy-handedly drive one's point into the fucking ground is exactly why right-wingers

the inability to not bring politics into a discussioon is why everyone hates canada

why did I bring canada into this?
I mean you brought right-wingers for no reason so I thought I should do something similarly stupid.
>>
>>52081205
he wasn't playing a storygame though. In an RPG, DM presents the world, and the players do what they want. But the world doesn't revolve around the players. Perhaps the DM should have given some sort of early warning saying "the undead are getting upty" and shit but just making the lich go away without anyone dealing with him would completely shatter any sense of immersion in the game world.
>>
>>52084812
>ITS A JOKE
that doesn't work in comic format

many
words
>>
>>52056338
He certainly did, and it was a shit idea then too.
>>
>>52056419

Is everquest still a thing these days?
>>
>>52080394
According to deontological libertarianism, it's always immoral.
According to consequentialist libertarianism the end justifies the means. That's why consequentialist libertarians are COMMIES!
>>
>>52080570
tell me how obeying the NAP and legal contracts without interference from any government body is the same as NO GOVERNMENT WE CAN DO WHAT WE WANT?
>>
>>52080579
Ayn Rand is an objectivist. Ancap would be Murray Rothbard.
Thread posts: 327
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.