[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/hhg/ Horus Heresy General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 431
Thread images: 42

File: Fear_to_Tread_huge.jpg (581KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Fear_to_Tread_huge.jpg
581KB, 2560x1440px
The long wait until Angelus edition.

Old thread >>52042940

>THIS THING
http://www.mediafire.com/file/de3l5i29kn69n73/The_Horus_Heresy_Book_7_-_Inferno.pdf
https://mega.nz/#!OFklhA4K!GiwY4FA3rSFJN_9_LACZIRk2yGf_DdhIK7AY8t4PhQk

>HHG
http://pastebin.com/iUqNrrA8
Official HH 7th Edition Errata (Updated January 2016)
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/fw_site/fw_pdfs/Horus_Heresy/Horus_Heresy_7th_Edition.pdf

>30k TACTICA & TIPS
What to include in a HH list, how to format it, what makes each legion special (crunch), tactics, Tutorials for Heresy-era minis and more
http://pastebin.com/Tm2P4QLp

>HH Books, Novels and Rulebooks galore
http://pastebin.com/k9uvqsub
https://sys.4chan.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmega.nz%2F%23F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyC

>Updated rulebooks
https://sys.4chan.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.docdroid.net%2Ffz1OuHK%2Fcrusade-imperialis-army-lists.pdf.html
https://sys.4chan.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.docdroid.net%2FZTK72gs%2Flegiones-astartes-age-of-darkness-army-list.pdf.html

>/HHG/'s Legion demographics
http://www.strawpoll.me/10558764
>Primarch Popularity Poll
http://www.strawpoll.me/11458318

>Make your unit entries, use Celestia Antiqua Std and Garamond
http://www.mediafire.com/file/q315zmyjntb4j04/LA+Exploitable+v1.pdf

>BoP's Paint guide
http://imgur.com/a/aBKJE

>HHG Discord
https://discordapp.com/invite/wYS2J6b
>>
word bearers a shit
>>
>>52055676
What do you expect Papa Bird's model will be like? It would be nice if was like the art where he is holding the Gate.
>>
>>52055708
Erebus a shit

Kor Pharon worst Firs Captain too

Lorgar was doomed from the start with these two fuckholes by his side.
>>
Who does WWI best: Iron Warriors, Death Guard, or Imperial Fists?
>>
I’ve always thought the Sokar is too small to be a proper stormbird, and after reading Inferno and it mentioned a class of Stormbird so big it blocked out the sun, I decided to stat it for fun. So this is it. What do you think /tg/?

Apophis-Class Stormbird

3,250 points.

BS 4
Front 14
Side 13
Rear 12
HP 30

Unit Composition
• 1 Apophis pattern Stormbird

Unit Type
• Super-Heavy Flyer (Hover, Transport)

Wargear
• One twin-linked Thunderhawk Cannon
• Twelve turret-mounted twin-linked lascannon
• Two turret-mounted twin-linked missile launcher
• Eight wing-mounted Dreadstrike Missiles
• Two Macro-Bomb Clusters
• Orbital strike beacon
• Armoured Ceramite
• Multi void shield generator

Special Rules
• Assault Vehicle
• Shield Projection
• Reinforced Structure
• Sun Killer

Transport Capacity
• The Apophis Stormbird has two transport bays that are treated separately as to what they may carry into battle.
-The troop deck may only transport models with the infantry special rule. It has a transport capacity of 120 models.
-The tank bay has a transport capacity of 120 models, but may only be used for tanks and armoured vehicles. This includes Dreadnoughts, Castellax Battle-Automata (That each count as a Dreadnought for their troop capacity), Rhinos and rhino-hulled vehicles (which count as 12 models each), Predators and Sicarans (which take up 15 models in capacity each), Land Raiders (Which take up 20 models in capacity each) and super-heavy tanks of under 10 Hull Points (Which take up 40 models in capacity each). Any transport vehicles being transported may themselves carry units without those units taking up space in the Apophis.

Access points
•Two access hatch on each side and one transport ramp each at the front and rear of the vehicle.
>>
>>52055784
IW with DG allies
>>
>>52055784
All three do it well, not sure who is best honestly. Didn't Salamanders for a time fight like the Death Guard?

I personally always wanted to see the two legions with the toughest gene-seed go at it. Plus a fluffy fight between Vulkan and Mortarion could be fun.
>>
>>52055795

Multi Void Shield Generator
Whilst the model’s void shields are active, any hits scored by shooting attacks against it strike its void shields instead. The Apophis has four void shields, each with an Armour value of 12. A Glancing hit or Penetrating hit or any hit by a Destroyer weapon scored against a shield causes it to collapse. After this, further hits strike the original target instead. At the end of each of its controlling player’s turns, roll a D6 for each collapsed shield – a roll of 5+ instantly restores it.

Shield Projection
So long as the Apophis is in Hover mode and remains stationary this turn, its controlling player may declare that it is projecting its void shields at the start of their turn. This means that their area extends to cover all units within 12" of the Apophis’ main hull and wings in their protection.

Reinforced Structure
The Apophis has an invulnerable save of 5+ against any attacks that have breached its void shields.

Sun killer: The Apophis is the largest of all Stormbirds, a craft that rivals a void-bomber in size. This makes it an easier target to hit than any of its smaller counterparts. Due to its size, any enemy units that target the Apophis do not need to make snap-shots when it is zooming and to-hit rolls use their normal ballistic skill even if they do not have the skyfire special rule.

Transport Ramp: up to four separate units may exit from the Apophis front and rear ramp each turn.
>>
>>52055747
Is there any backstory on how such a smug, obviously untrustworthy asshole as Erebus came to be First Chaplain and advisor to a Primarch?
>>
>>52055827
Divine intervention.
I fucking love Erebus.
>>
>>52055827
I just assume Kor Pharon was an old man who didn't know any better and Lorgar was just stupid and willing to listen to anyone.
>>
File: IMG_20170306_235049_01.jpg (2MB, 3925x2854px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170306_235049_01.jpg
2MB, 3925x2854px
Getting the Veteran Tacs worked up, onto the bolter casings
do I go with basic red, or do blue-black highlights?
>>
>>52055827
Erebus is Destinys Hand :^)
>>
>>52055877
nice fists KA
>>
>>52055956
dont cyberbully me
>>
>>52055676
They will never release a Sanguinius model.
>>
File: 1467224085620.png (55KB, 394x582px)
1467224085620.png
55KB, 394x582px
>>52055804
>Didn't Salamanders for a time fight like the Death Guard?
Not really, but both legions are known for their use of flamers. But the Salamanders only use normal flamers of course, not that toxic shit the DG use.

The Salamanders fought the DG at Isstvan V, it's mentioned in Vulkan Lives.
>>
>>52055795
>>52055805
You do know an apple blots out the sun if you hold it close enough to your eye right?
>>
>>52055978
Anon, we aren't talking about Dorn or Alpharius.
>>
>>52055978
The Primarch dude has been working on Papa Sang since before Inferno.
>>
>>52055708
Have you lost your temper, Roboute?
>>
File: Page98.jpg (3MB, 2698x3659px) Image search: [Google]
Page98.jpg
3MB, 2698x3659px
>>52056079
FW are the ones that called it the 'Sun Killer'.
>>
>>52055839
You don't even know how to write his name. Read the fluff before shitposting
>>
>>52056102
>Have you lost your temper, Roboute?

The mark of Calth will continue to run.
IT IS RUNNING NOW.
>>
>>52055805
Frankly it looks like the guns, capabilities and tankiness of about 2.5 Stormbirds stacked together for slightly more than the price of three. When you're competing with slots directly with a Warlord Titan, you're going to need some bigger guns. Unless I literally wanted to transport my entire Mechanicum army at once, there doesn't seem to be anything that makes this better than three regular Sokars and some Enginseers or Techmarines to fix them.
>>
>>52056344
The Sokar can't carry proper battle tanks though. I wanted something that could carry a full platoon of Fellblades and a whole company to spare. The sort of vehicle that could disgorge an entire army into the heart of the enemy line.

Have you any ideas to improve it?
>>
>>52056363
Really, add more gun, given that that thing will be carrying around almost it's points again in tanks and power armour it really needs to have ways to nuke down something bigger than a Stormblade. AV creep has made S10 surprisingly ineffective, though. Probably hand it something to make sure it shows up on Turn 2 reliably or can start hovering Skyshield style, too, since that's a deathstar and a half even in Apoc.
>>
Who is the next primarch to be released? After that?
>>
>>52056394
Magnus, no clue.
>>
>>52056332
Go cry to Yvraine about your worries. Race-traitor.
>>
>>52056089
Its been like 4 years since they got their rules for fucks sake.

Magnus and g-boy have TWO models! GIMME DORN FW!
>>
>>52056391
I thought a nose mounted twin thunderhawk cannon and the same Strength D Orbital Strike beacon as the Sokar would be enough. Would a pair of twin Turbolasers in the wings help?
>>
We;re setting up to do our second episode of the podcast, going to be covering talons of the emperor and possibly titan guard. besides those topics, anything else you'd like to see discussed?
>>
>>52056581
what podcast you inbred cuck
>>
>>52056590
the /hhg/ one
hopefully with less overlapping audio this time
>>
>>52056450
Yeah, that'll probably do it just fine. I see the regular Stormbird as the"flying double Baneblade" since it's about that tough and well-armed. Yours looked somewhat undergunned for what's now the flying sextruple Baneblade.
>>
>>52056614
sounds gay, you going to post a link bumboy?
>>
>>52056616

Basically if I ever build it the model will have a meter and a wingspan and fit two Sokars nose to tail inside.
>>
>>52056581
Have less people on this time. 4 at the absolute maximum.
>>
>>52056644

That's all we had for the first episode and all the ones in the future.
>>
>>52056210
Forming up a helix pattern??
>>
>I hid the future, I fought Russ, I lost and was thrown into the Warp.
>I survived, but I was captured by Tzeench.
>How happy I would have been if the gods let me die then and there...

>Our wishes do not come true. We just cling on to our dreams, our phantoms. Mine, and yours.
>You can kill Horus, murder Mortarion, slaughter Perturabo... Burn the whole Imperium down, and it still won't bring me back.

....Say "_____" would be appropriate for Magnus? Obviously not Peace, right?
>>
>>52056394
Magnus and then Sanguinius.
>>
anyone got a Triaros from CCON?
was the quality good, resin workable?
>>
>>52056831
Shit's great yo, although I had the older yellow resin.
>>
>>52056637
Yeah, that certainly sounds like it needs bigger guns. You could use that as a gaming table straight up, let alone as a miniature.

Would make into even bigger whale/10. May want to have a rule that lets infantry deepstrike onto the top, and include some defense turrets like the Warlord Titan mauler bolt cannon on the top, so you can actually board the thing with assault marines or Ursarax and drop meltabombs onto the Void Shield Generator and other bits to do some kind of FTL style subsystem damage.
Would be a bit fiddly to make rules for, but it would be fun as hell to play.
>>
Hey doods, can you telle me how's my list ?
Legio Cybernetica (1485pts)

+ HQ +

Archmagos Dominus (255pts). Abeyant, Augury Scanner, Cyber-familiar, Machinator Array, Cortica Primus.

Magos Dominus (90pts). Cyber-familiar

+ Troops +

Castellax Class Battle-Automata Maniple (240pts)
> 2x - Castellax class Battle-automata. Enhanced Targeting Arrays

> 2x - Castellax class Battle-automata . Enhanced Targeting Arrays

Thallax Cohort (150pts)
> 3x Thallax. Melta bombs

Thallax Cohort (150pts)
> 3x Thallax. Melta bombs

+ Fast Attack +

Vorax Class Battle-automata Maniple (385pts).
> 5x - Vorax Class Battle-automata. Bio-corrosive ammunition
>>
>>52056870
Are you the one doing the mad as hell Whale Sokar? You are inspiring. If you can do that, I can make an Apophis.
>>
>>52056874
Lacking anti-tank.
>>
>>52056891
what should i change (while remaining under 1500 pts) ?
>>
Are volkite serpentas any good ever? How about weaponmaster Veteran squads? (>implying they're good)

Also do you guys think a drop to the same cost as a plasma pistol would be fair for the archaeotech pistol?
>>
>>52056890

Yeah, that's me. Genetor anon, that crazy idiot with the whalebird and the Dune Navigator Magi. Got to love dual kits and bits sites.
Well, I haven't even finished buying all the bitz for the thing yet. Most of the gondola will probably be from a mix of Baneblade and Firestorm Redoubt parts, and liberal greenstuff, but I either need to find a new whale to build onto or pay an extra £52 for shipping, and I would rather not pay Forgeworld Knight prices for about 4/9 of the build.

What's your mental image for the Apophis? Bigger regular'Bird, or something similar to the old concept art with the turbines?
>>
>>52056891
>>52056925
How effective are Darkfire cannons as anti-tank?
I've been considering ways to get cool beep boops into a legion list and Darkfire Castellax seem to appeal to me the most. Especially since with a Praevian you can give them Tank Hunters.
>>
>>52056925
Maybe drop a vorax or two and maybe a unit of thallax and get some anti-tank weapons. The photon beams (or whatever) on the castellax are pretty good.
>>
>>52056926
I don't think I've ever seen someone run a volkite serpenta, the five points they cast can always be better spent elsewhere.

As for weapon master vets I'm planning a full squad with axes to accompany my praetor when I'm feeling retarded.
>>
>>52056956
Which legion?
>>
>>52056826

Controversial statement incoming - anyone else worrying about whether they'll be able to give Sanguinius a good set of wings and decent dynamic pose in resin, and if they do whether it'll be fragile and fiddly as fuck?
>>
>>52056966
Dark Angels. Going to stick some stasis grenades in there too to de-buff difficult targets.
>>
>>52056967
FW is playing us like a damn fiddle
>>
File: Stormbird.jpg (299KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Stormbird.jpg
299KB, 800x600px
>>52056938

This, but four times the size.
>>
>>52056941
I don't think dropping a unit of Thallax is a good idea. I mean they're the only scoring units.
>>
>>52056967
That's an inquiry not a statement.
>>
>>52056981
That's probably good.

>>52056967
Not controversial, it's a legit fear.
Personally even if the wings are fantastic I'd like to see an option to have them closed in rather than on full display.

Inb4 plastic Sanguinius
>>
>>52056998
>That's probably good.
It's probably retarded really but I'm in love with the idea. It won't work most matches but when it does 40 WS5 power attacks on the charge plus whatever my praetor can put out will destroy most things short of a primarch.
>>
File: IMG_8262.jpg (78KB, 652x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8262.jpg
78KB, 652x960px
>>52056967
>>52056998
But the Sanguinius model is already out...
>>
File: doom-cover-old.jpg (297KB, 1000x1372px)
doom-cover-old.jpg
297KB, 1000x1372px
>>52057024
They seem to have managed to do it in resin at least.

I can't wait to get hype over the next Primarch model. We've seen snippets of Magnus, but the real hullabaloo was the 40k model, and the part we saw of the resin told the rest of the story about the 30k one.

I hope it's Dorn, in the pose from the cover where he fights Alpharius, on a scenic base that's basically the Doom cover.

Drawfags/shoopfags feel free to make the "DORN" edit of the Doom cover.
>>
File: image.jpg (474KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
474KB, 1500x1000px
Is there anywhere I can buy dead/fallen marines like those in the pic? Or do I need to convert them by myself?
>>
Better ?
Legio Cybernetica (1495pts)

+ HQ +

Archmagos Dominus (255pts). Abeyant, Augury Scanner, Cyber-familiar, Machinator Array, Cortica Primus.

Magos Dominus (90pts). Cyber-familiar

+ Troops +

> 2x - Castellax class Battle-automata. Enhanced Targeting Arrays

Castellax Class Battle-Automata Maniple (280pts)
> 2x - Castellax class Battle-automata . Darkfire Cannon Enhanced Targeting Arrays

Thallax Cohort (160pts)
> 3x Thallax. Ferrox

Thallax Cohort (160pts)
> 3x Thallax. Ferrox

+ Fast Attack +

Vorax Class Battle-automata Maniple (310pts).
> 4x - Vorax Class Battle-automata. Bio-corrosive ammunition
>>
>>52057073
The one being mauled by the wolf is part of the Wolf's model (it's an understatement to say "base"), but I think the rest are converted, if that's even the right word and more has been done than posing it.

The whole feel of the models is quite different when they don't have bases all beneath them and you pose them in dioramas. I like it.
>>
>>52056710
"Deny the Witch™ on a 6+ (sometimes on a 5+ or even a 4+ but never on a 3+ (maybe if the emperor is released))" Magnus
>>
Let's say I want to split 3000 points roughly evenly between Mechanicum and Legions.
What should the legionaries be doing while big Monstrous Creatures (Castellax, Thanatar, and Arlatax when they eventually come out) make up the Mechanicum's ranks? Does footslogging them become more viable when there are juicy high-toughness targets around drawing fire? Or should I go all-out on heavy armour and/or deep strike?
>>
Is Domitar Automata any good ?
>>
>>52057073
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Space-Marine-Casualties
>>
>>52057278
Damn it Mk7
>armor mark autism intensified
>>
>>52056581
Less memes, sperging, awkwardness and a point to it beyond 4 people lightly chatting about something.
>>
>>52056644
>>52056651
You though there was more because the introduction section was almost bullet to the head tier awkwardness.
>>
>>52057319
It was the first ever episode, of course it was going to be awkward. It'll get better in time.
>>
>>52057373
Just keep at it dude, you seem to be getting a lot of negative comments but it will get better as you try it.
>>
>>52056985
Quite hard to get an idea of scale there unless that's a full size Thunderhawk, but that does look pretty. Probably can find some suitably gigantic parts from military plane models, but the problem with that is the Astartes never learned that the best way to fly is not to bludgeon through as much air as possible. Might be hard making it suitably blocky.
>>
>>52057384
It's 4chan, it's to be expected. And the negative comments are just fuel to improve. Many times they make legitimate arguments. It was awkward, and rather structureless. But then that's pretty much 4chan to a T, and this is the 4chan HH Podcast, at least for now.
>>
>>52057400
If you aren't too adverse to a name change maybe go for the /tg/ or traditional games podcast. That way anyone familiar will know exactly what it is and if it gets popular the 4chan association won't scare away the normies.
>>
The local meta is getting kinda tough with banana men and lots of cherryboy thousand sons, and i've lost four out of the last five games with NL. Kinda tempted to the dark side with Mechanicum, can someone Critique?

315-Scoria-Abeyant

230-2x Castellax-Power Blades
280-2x Castellax-Darkfire, ETA
320-6x Thallax, Ferrox, Heavy Chainblades

175-Vulturax

300-Thanatar-ETA, Paragon

380-Knight Errant,Ocular Augmetics

Is this too harsh to build towards? I'm basing it off the cybernetica bundle. Mechanicum are weird, theres so many brokenly-good stuff available, i'm going to try to stay away from grav at least. Scoria or some other duellist character is almost necessary since people usually bring primarchs or at least a dedicated melee unit
>>
>>52056407
I'd say those Yvraines are traitor to their fellow Aeldari. What I liked the most about the Great Crusade is that it was going to end in the extinction of all non-human life in the galaxy.
>>
Do you guys think the E's xenocide was necessary / justifiable?
>>
>>52057551
Honestly, I wish the Emphra was never made. He fucked humanity more than any Xenos.
>>
>>52057551
Well, the Great Crusade cleansed the galaxy of some of the most perfidious creatures ever. However, some, like the Interex, didn't deserve such fate.
>>
>>52057433
Honestly, that's not going to handle Custodes at all well. Thallax are not good for Cybernetica, two units as Reductor tax isn't that bad, but for Cybernetica you want a couple 20-man Fearless Adsecularis units instead to boost the body count. Personally I prefer Ordo Reductor for unit variety,. but if you really want beep boops then cut the Thallax and the Knight, buy yourself the Homonculex since it's a nice cheap deal and probably get a small group of Vorax to outflank in Scoria.

Cybernetica can't deal well with the golden bananas because they lack ranged S10 and don't want to be close to all the AP2 Instant Death and Heliothermic rounds mean they can suddenly lose Castellax and such to one botched roll. Rock yourself some sexy sexy Myrmidons and dump Conversion Beamer fire or grav on them, and tarpit with Adsec all the time. Knight is decent but not great given their list excels at dealing with elite, high Wound stuff with little access to Strength 10. I've found one small Grav squad to kill Primarchs and such is a necessity, and they'll soon learn to stop suiciding in deathstars.
>>
>>52057578
Well, if the Old Night's alien abduction was pretty much the same as the Beast's human farm, I'm really not sure it would be a better fate than living in 40k's dystopian Imperium.
>>
How did the Furibundus dread differ from the standard eggnaught back then?

Just curious as to what an updated version might look like
>>
>>52057702
Look at Dodidoe and realize it can be anything. I'm guessing something CC, but they already made the Leviathan, so who knows.
>>
>>52057079
> bump

(also it's mostly for casual gaming, and mostly against 40k)
>>
> sell your soul to tzeentch
> order the titan maniple
> FW has to give you three grand
> win every game of apocalypse for the rest of your cursed life
>>
So I've got the leviathan with storm cannon and grav flux on order. I already have 2 Contemptor Mortis and 1 Contemptor fist and melta/ keres.

Do I get another leviathan with claw and drill, to drop pod in. Or a autocannon, missile Deredeo? If I get Deredeo I could run all three Contemptors as a talon!
>>
>>52058441
Also if I get Deredeo I could get a claw for the leviathan to magnetise and give me options! What's better? Cheers
>>
>>52057079
Give your dominus a power fist, and paragon blade, or some kind of ranged weapon, so he can actually do something other than cast pesdo-spells

also, 2 Darkfire cannons does not a suffucent anti-tank make. take a karios, or something else
>>
>>52058701
> kitting the dominus
I'm going to blow the points on the dominus and I don't think it's a good idea (and I'm trying to stay under 1500pts)

> also, 2 Darkfire cannons does not a suffucent anti-tank make. take a karios, or something else
If 2 darkfire cannons aren't enough, which beep boop shoud I take to get descent anti tank (should I kit Thallax in that way ?)
>>
>>52058805
Honestly your issue is trying to stay under 1500 points. That is a big zone mortalis game in HH, you should be aiming for at least 2000, ideally 2500.
>>
>>52058876
I don't plan on playing games that big (and I can't afford it). And I will mostly be playing against 40k.
>>
>>52058805
>>52058970
Cybernetica will struggle at anything under 2k, ideally you want 2.5k or greater. You're better off running taghmata and taking the thallax as compulsory troops then getting a krios Venator in there. Or finding the points for a vultarax with its haywire gun.
>>
>>52058805
>If 2 darkfire cannons aren't enough, which beep boop shoud I take to get descent anti tank (should I kit Thallax in that way ?)

So this is a not tank build at all? if thats the case, it become tricky. DFC arent dso good, as vs heavier tanks tey need 5's to glace, which is a bit rubbish against 4/5 hp stuff
>>
Let's settle this once and for all.
>Ultramarines: Romans
>Word Bearers: Dutch and Ottomans
>Dark Angels: Ancient Hebrews, Indians, Arthurian Knights
>Imperial Fists: Prussia and a hint of the Dutch
>Iron Warriors: Fascist Italy and Greeks
>Alpha Legion: CIA and KGB
>Blood Angels: Renaissance Italy
>Death Guard: WW1 Brits and Imperial Germany
>World Eaters: The French back when they were bloodthirsty
>Night Lords: Maybe the Ottomans and ISIS.
>Raven Guard: Indians
>Space Wolves: Vikings
>Thousand Sons: do I really need to do this?
>Emperor's Children: Romans
>White Scars: Don't make me say it.
>Luna Wolves/Sons of Horus: ???
>Iron Hands: ???
>Salamanders: ???
Thoughts?
>>
>>52059283

Why the Dutch for the WB?

As for IW, i'd say that they are more akin to WWI French then to Fascist Italy in many ways.
>>
>>52059307
Both were really irrelevant until they decided to take the lead out of their pants.
>As for IW, i'd say that they are more akin to WWI French then to Fascist Italy in many ways.
I say Fascist Italy mostly because of that one Fascist Italy pic that looked pretty Iron Warrior-y.
>>
>>52059102
So, any idea ? Thallax with meltabombs and destructor augment ? Domitar ? Siege Wrecker Castellax ? Vultarax (even if I think it look like crap) ?
>>
>>52057642
>The Beast's human farm
Tell me more
>>
>>52059495
Or Ferox Thallax (given the number of attack they get) ?
>>
>>52055795
Apophis... The giant evil serpent from Egyptian mythology that was destined to eat the sun and doom the world? A fitting name for Alpha Legion colours, methinks.

I do kind of want to see that, especially loaded to capacity and deploying. I suspect it could use a little points drop in addition to the two extra turbolasers, bring it down to 3k neatly, given it'll be taking more damage than the equivalent in regular transports thanks to being a truly massive target.

Wouldn't miss playing against one for the world, though. I've always had a thing for huge airborne assaults, but not Drop Pods, they skip the entirety of the cool landing into the enemy's guns phase. Would board with squid-drones and Thallax, Xana style.
>>
>>52059495
If you're not all bots all the time, a Kraken missile Lightning or some Titan Guard haywire in an Arvus. Pick a vehicle, it dies.
>>
>>52059573
Dang that will be completly overkill x). If I don't go full robot, I'll surely take that (or Venator but I'm not a huge fan of it)
>>
>>52059533
Be quiet Fulgrimdubs.
>>
Why does the fluff seem to get better the further back in time it covers? The Unification and Old Night bits are the best things I've seen in the setting.
>>
>>52059283
>once and for all
>that list
You're a complete idiot. But probably like, some kind of endearing dopey one who people like anyway.
>>
>>52059634
More freedom to just make shit up rather than follow the normal structure of the setting.
>>
>>52059608
This is the Mechanicum. Overkill is the watchword. Also lets you open up those Spartan deathstars to get Scoria and his two Melee Castellax or Vorax bodyguards in combat with the Primarch. They'll probably hold off the Terminators until Scoria finishes wiping the floor with him. Always fun, even if I personally prefer Imploder Myrmidons for the second part. Squish...
That strategy gets linearly better the tougher the opponent tries to make his deathstar, too. Haywire doesn't care, and even one left alive can shoot then charge something like a Vindicator and give it a good mauling.
>>
>>52059283
>Luna Wolves/Sons of Horus

Sarcastically, Fist of the Northstar in SPACE

But for an actual answer, they're "Savage Romans". Think of the gangs of Rome/The Conquered Germanic tribes that got brought into the Roman military.
>>
>>52055676
Best guess at a release date for Angelus? I'm talking ballpark figure...
>>
>>52059966
294 days, 23 hours and 4 minutes.
>>
>>52059966
The future, Inferno was delayed by about 6 months so who even knows.
>>
>>52059283
french were bloodthirsty?
>>
>>52060014
Yeah, but people actually like BAngels and Dangels.
>>
>>52059694
Do you think going with 2 siege wrecker Castellax is a good idea ?

> 16 S10 Ap2 with Rite of Fury
>>
>>52060038
ask the english
>>
>>52060106
Nah, too slow. Trundling 6" plus a run move across the board isn't reliable antitank. There's a reason tyranid players leave their melee carnifexes on the shelf.
>>
>>52060106
Scoria rocking in there and dishing out 6 S10 AP2 Hatred attacks on whatever Deathshroud or Justaerin thought they could save their spess daddy is nice, but it's a bunch more expensive than Power Blades when Scoria can already beat the fuck out of vehicles and that's pretty much all they gat for -1A and 10 extra ppm. Slow as hell, too. Outflank Scoria with Vorax, and use shooty stuff for AT.
>>
>>52060108
A little bit yeah, until we gave them a damn good thrashing!!

Waterloo seems to have knocked it out of them, cause WWI we backed them instead of our old allies ze Germans. Come forward a little and WWII enter the cheese eating surrender monkies. The rifles for sale, never fired in anger one slight scuff mark which is what people remember!

Oh and getting kicked outta Vietnam before the yanks
>>
>>52059283
You were pretty close on some, but slightly off on a few;

>Sons of Horus: Barbarians (Germanic Tribes)+Blanche's (or Dune? IDK) space touch

>Iron Hands: Ancient Greece+90's-style posthuman cyborgs.

>Dark Angels: Indian look isn't really in 30k, more just Knights Teutonic (w/o BTs thing) and Hebrew naming

>World Eaters: Roman Gladiatiors mixed in with Spartan militarism, I guess some Gaul stuff too

>Alpha Legion: put a snek on it, also Anglo-Saxon armor (sorta)

>Ultramarines are Greco-Roman, whereas the EC are purely Imperial Rome in design.

>Salamanders: Dragons, Mythic Salamanders/volcano/lava stuff, Greco-Roman Hephaestus stuff

>Worst Bearers: Dunno about the Dutch stuff
>>
>>52060185
Okyay, I think I start seeing where the problem is.

> Automata too slow to get in cqc
> Guns not powerful enough, or not shooty enough (i'm looking at you graviton gun)
>>
>>52060393
Unless it's a Thanatar, in which case it just explodes everything that's not a Custodes in a shower of cover -1 and reroll successful saves plasma bullshit, and every robot can be affected by a power that lets it Fury of the Legion, so double plasma Large Blast.

All bots with 40 or 60 adsec and Archmagos Dominus/2 regular dominus is still a really good build because they're tough as nails, but they're really not good at punching IMO thanks to low number of attacks unless it's a Vorax or an Arlatax. You can slog robots into face-beating range, they can take it, but it still takes a while.

Also, because all BEEP BOOP is the archetypal Mechanicum list, the goto things to counter us are ID weapons like Adrathic and Paragon Blades , plasma en masse and similar, which the Reductor Thallax and AV builds don't exactly LIKE, but suffer from lots less and so get hard-countered less often and less easily. Anyway, I don't know many models that do like 20 plasma shots to the face.
>>
>>52060364
Thanks.
>>
>>52060497
Okay thanks for your answer. I almost forgot automatas are fucking hard to kill.

> unless it's a Vorax or an Arlatax
Domitar no good (even with Parangon of metal) ?
>>
File: 20170307_195011.jpg (454KB, 1143x857px)
20170307_195011.jpg
454KB, 1143x857px
How are your hobby projects progressing this week /hhg/?
>>
>>52060567
Domitars are far too slow and far too expensive. A Paragon Castellax with Wreckers and Frags is less and does more damage on average, while having far better shooting. They're one of the only truly bad Mechanicum units, sitting alongside the Scyllax and the Magos Prime Malagra. Possibly the Karacnos tank now, too.
>>
>>52060627
Damned slowly. Haven't found a replacement for my Whale and my Magos parts haven't arrived yet, so I'm slowly basecoating all the fiddly bits on some 40k Ruststalkers. They're damned fragile.
>>
>>52060038
>french were bloodthirsty?

Memeshittery aside,

La Furia Francese. The French were proponents of aggressive shock action with the bayonet.
>>
>>52056363

>-The tank bay has a transport capacity of 120 models, but may only be used for tanks and armoured vehicles. This includes Dreadnoughts, Castellax Battle-Automata (That each count as a Dreadnought for their troop capacity), Rhinos and rhino-hulled vehicles (which count as 12 models each), Predators and Sicarans (which take up 15 models in capacity each), Land Raiders (Which take up 20 models in capacity each) and super-heavy tanks of under 10 Hull Points (Which take up 40 models in capacity each). Any transport vehicles being transported may themselves carry units without those units taking up space in the Apophis.

Fellblades have 12 HP and can't fit my dude

Also this thing can hold most of my knight household desu
>>
File: 1ksons_wip.jpg (2MB, 5376x2832px) Image search: [Google]
1ksons_wip.jpg
2MB, 5376x2832px
>>52060627
Not bad, shaded the marines, termies and characters with agrax, Moving onto gold tomorrow which will be tedious, and will undercoat the custodes. Little worried about keeping gold thin across a large model, gw metallics either seem thick or watery.
>>
>>52060869
Super Heavy Walkers aren't Tanks.
>>
File: IMG_1848.jpg (196KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1848.jpg
196KB, 1024x768px
>>52060906

Nonsense, here's my super heavy Walker transport version of the stormbird
>>
>>52060952
What the hell am I looking at.
Is this OGRE?
>>
>>52060972

Battletech
>>
>>52060900
wuz they kangs and sheit?
>>
>>52060627
Working on some cataphractii termis. Delayed due to a commission I have to finish and tests. I have no idea if my army will done by summer
>>
File: bangle.png (187KB, 478x276px) Image search: [Google]
bangle.png
187KB, 478x276px
How do you make Blood Angels visually interesting? I like their fluff but how do you break up the flat panels of red and black? What's their tertiary colour?
>>
>>52061235
more red and black

anon kill me
>>
>>52061235
>What's their tertiary colour?
Renaissance.
>>
File: find a flaw.jpg (70KB, 604x604px)
find a flaw.jpg
70KB, 604x604px
well?
>>
>>52061290
Kyme-tier name.
>>
>>52061235
Metallics, especially gold.
>>
>>52061290
Why is he carrying his bolter like a baby or small dog?

Otherwise nice even, even if I'm not a fan of drabamanders myself.
>>
>>52061290
It's impressive how you can barely see the difference between the black and the green area's.
>>
Sons of Horus as generic fantasy barbarians makes me moist

It's just such an awesome aesthetic for Marines. Almost thunder warriors-like.
>>
I don't like how airbrushed models look.
>>
>>52061402
I think it can be done well, but too many people think it's a solve-everything button, rather than a tool that needs to be used correctly to get good results.
>>
>>52061402
>t. poorfag
Shit taste. The subtle color blends and smooth coats look amazing if done correctly. Vehicles especially.
>>
>>52061394
Main reason why I like them too. The reavers and justaerian terminators look amazing
>>
>>52061434
For military modelling sure. For miniature wargames it looks soulless. I like the handcrafted look of traditional brushing.
>>
Terminator command squad. Plasma blaster. Fun?
>>
>>52061434
>if done correctly

That's a very big if.
>>
>>52061402

100% airbrushed 'pro-painted' models look stupid, but for me the airbrush allows me to do smooth basecoats in meme legion iridescent blue which is hell to apply by brush much faster than if I were working by hand, and enables me to add quick zenithal shading to other stuff. It doesn't mean you can skip on washes, highlighting, and details, all of which need to be brushed on.
>>
>>52061349
drabamanders? what the fook
>>
>>52061498
>looks soulless

I have the same complaint about blending and NMM - a lot of painters have great technical skill but the models look garish and cartoony and unnatural.
>>
>>52061434
At least I won't sneeze paint my freund :^)
>>
>>52061498
You still do traditional brushing after the base coats.
>soulless
not an argument

>>52061518
There are shitty airbrushers just like there are shitty paintbrushers.
>>
>>52061516
Can't go wrong with that.
>>
rember
>>
File: Footstool Stats.png (24KB, 867x262px)
Footstool Stats.png
24KB, 867x262px
>>52061707
>>
Xth for Little Horus will find redemption by betraying the SoH and lowering the Vengeful Spirits shields so that the Emperor can teleport aboard
>>
>>52062009
>implying it won't be the alpha legion who lower the shields
>and the alpha legion who sabotage the teleporter in the imperial palace so the boarding team is split up
>and the alpha legion who arrange for olly pies & dorn to arrive at the exact moments they'll be needed
>>
>>52062056
please no. It's a neat idea, but I would rather not see some AL mook be responsible for something that important fluff-wise. At most Alpharius or Omegeron themselves doing it, but I prefer it being a flaw of Horus that allowed for what happened to happen
>>
>>52062056
Was getting food processored by Dorn part of Alpharius' master plan?
>>
>>52062095
Would you allow the AL to be the reason that Oll the Pius turned up instead of Oll the wanked off mary sue?
>>
>>52060627
I will stop being shit and go work on them right fucking now.
>>
Do Mechanicum deathstar killers produce some form of Astartes Idiocy Field or something? Just tried a couple filthy, filthy proxy games to test my Genetor army before I splash out for the first 1200, against my friend's Emperor's Children and Night Lords, and they both ran their Primarchs straight at the grav-myrmidon squad that I warned them about beforehand. Anyone else have that happen?
>>
>>52062120
Emperor's speed anon.
>>
File: sgts3.jpg (172KB, 2049x645px) Image search: [Google]
sgts3.jpg
172KB, 2049x645px
>>52060627
Just rinsed off 14 special weapons boys and leaving them to dry overnight. Fingers crossed the weather is okay tomorrow so I can prime them.
>>
>>52062118
Aren't there meant to be some alpha legion dudes following him back in the place he's time-travelled to with the magic knife? What if they're not actually there to catch him, just herd him, and make sure the pawn arrives on the table at exactly the right moment?
>yfw the alpha legion are literally playing 4D chess
>>
>>52062154
Reading that makes me want to vomit.
>>
>>52062146
If the weather doesn't clear up will you be bitter?
>>
>>52062146
the middle one needs captions asap
>>
>>52062173
A little, but it's not enough to stop me. Would just prefer to not have to clear out the washroom and shave to wear a gas mask.
>>
>>52062203
>A little, but it's not enough to stop me. Would just prefer to not have to clear out the washroom and shave to wear a gas mask.

Have you considered priming by hand? I love Vallejo SUrface Black - it takes me about 5 minutes to do a typical marine, less if I don't care and just apply massive amounts on the first coat.
>>
>>52062114
The fire rises
>>
>>52061290
The barrel is a mess.
>>
>>52059541
Ferrox and Destructors are perhaps the only augmentations worth considering. And Destructors were sort of good as triple-meltabomb MSUs. That can't be done anymore.
Nor can Thallax sweep for that matter, Ferrox or not.
>>
>>52060627
Doing basecoat on a demi-squad of Iron Hands tacticals.
>>
>>52059283
>>Imperial Fists: Prussia and a hint of the Dutch
WRONG

Prussian/German influence to be sure, but IF are the multinational legion, a "melting pot" like America, provincial Romans (to the UM's Republicans), or somewhat like later multinational empires like the Spanish or Napoleonic.

I actually read a bit about the Ashanti people of Africa and their military philosophy based on their national symbolic animal, it's very Imperial Fists indeed.

The native word for the Porcupine in Asanti-Twi is "kotoko" which literally means "bend and fight". It refers to the ability of the porcupine to bend and attack its attackers with quills from different angles without losing ground or allowing the enemy to subdue them.[20] This became a military philosophy the Ashanti state adopted which culminated in the use if many military units that attacked from different angles in war. Also, Ashanti warriors were known for crawling on their bellies during gun exchanges as a means of gaining a tactical advantage over their opponents on guerrilla maneuverings.
>>
What's the best equipment load out for a squad of IW Cataphractii assuming I don't have missile launchers.
>>
>>52062740
>It refers to the ability of the porcupine to bend and attack its attackers with quills from different angles without losing ground or allowing the enemy to subdue them.[20] This became a military philosophy the Ashanti state adopted which culminated in the use if many military units that attacked from different angles in war.
Sound far more like Iron Hands to me.
>>
File: 1484078750163.png (710KB, 597x878px)
1484078750163.png
710KB, 597x878px
>>52062114
>No, they expect one of us in the wreckage, BROTHER
>Have we started the fire?
>Oh yes. Horus RisesTM
>>
>>52062114

Omegon was the one who got shit done throughout the series so far t b h
>>
>>52062791
Depends on what you want them to do. That unit isn't really affected by their LA rule unless Perturabo is present, do they're game for everything you may want.
Except running.
>>
>>52062791
You should tell us what kind of transport they're getting, if any, and if you have a role for them (e.g. defending your firebase, or in front of tac blobs, or drop podding in). But for general use they should have 2 or 3 chainfists and a mix of combiweapons.
>>
>>52062856
But Omegon is a loyalist shitter.
>>
>>52062946
Wasn't Alpharius trying to help Horus win in order to make Chaos destroy itself?
>>
>>52062946

Well he may just be a legion-loyalist rather than loyal to either chaos or the emperor, we're not sure.

His actions in Deliverance Lost really screwed over everyone involved

>>52062979

Hilariously enough Guilliman after he woke up in 40k says something similar in the new book.
>>
>>52055795
honestly you could take some things from the warlord here, since it's in the same category.

personally I've always felt that machines of that size were more suitable as terrain than an actual functional model, perhaps with ZM rules to show a CQC landing bay fight.
>>
>>52062991
>Hilariously enough Guilliman after he woke up in 40k says something similar in the new book.
Alpharius confirmed.
>>
>>52062992
Well, I suppose he could always magnetize the top and install some cover and defenses in the body of the thing, so you could go all Xcom and storm it with some Breachers and stuff. Would be a hella cool Kill Team map. Never tried 30k Kill Team, maybe I should.

Speaking of custom rules, how would I go about statting my Filiketos? I kind of want it to have some form of buff bubble for my stiff, so I have to move forward as opposed to just cowering on my Skyshield all game.

Was planning to build some top deck or at least walkways onto it along with the gondola, so I suppose I could have those work as fortification battlement, too.
>>
>>52062991
>Hilariously enough Guilliman after he woke up in 40k says something similar in the new book.
Please tell us more!
>>
>>52062870
Generalists, I guess? I bought them as fodder for some obliterator conversions only to discover they're not nearly big enough
>>52062883
I don't own any transports and it will be a while before I do. So two or three chainfists? Regular powerfists for the others? A power sword? Or should one have LC? Also, the Calth sprues don't actually provide combiweapons other than the basic storm-bolter-y ones- should I be bashing some together? I have spare special weapons. Melta/plas?

I don't really expect to get any games in any time soon, I just don't want these guys to go to waste if or when I do.
>>
>>52063171

Essentially he says "We didn't fight the heresy so that this living nightmare of an empire could continue, it would have been better if Horus had won and we all died rather than the corpse of the Emperors dream be dragged along for 10,000 years".
>>
>>52063148
Since you're doing a custom conversion my recommendation would be to build the model first, making it look like you want for aesthetics before writing custom rules for it. Generally that's the best way to do conversion sheets unless you're making rules for an already-established character or vehicle in the fluff that doesn't have one yet.
>>
>>52063189
That's a blammable offence right there.
>>
>>52063216
>That's a blammable offence right there.

Commissars have no authority here.
>>
>>52063202
True. I have a fairly good idea of what I want it to look like, but I'm known for just bolting extra stuff that looks cool onto my models anyway sometimes. The actual model will comply with the Stormbird rules, but I think I'll magnetize most of the guns so I can always build it some silly custom weapons later.
>>
>>52063216

The dude is the Emperors regent, Fucklaw cant do jack shit.
>>
>>52063230
Well then the chaplains should smash his head in with a hammer, Gabriel Angelos style.

It's an out-of-character line too. The only things the Imperium does differently is the religion and a necessary amount of provincialism. Besides that their efforts to fight against the alien, the demon and the heretic are even more heroic than they were in the Great Crusade, since ironically they don't have a physical "god" leading them and have had to do it all themselves for 10,000 years.
>>
>>52063267
>Besides that their efforts to fight against the alien, the demon and the heretic are even more heroic than they were in the Great Crusade, since ironically they don't have a physical "god" leading them and have had to do it all themselves for 10,000 years.

That's why I don't buy the Chaosfag "thinblood" idea that 40k marines are inferior to their legion predecessors. They have to get more done, with less.
>>
>>52063189
Oh, I thought you meant that he said he knew about Alpharius trying to wipe out Chaos by supporting Horus. My bad.

I don't really like the idea of putting an effective administrator in charge of the M41 Imperium. Not grimdark enough.
>>
File: nuroboto.jpg (134KB, 1000x1000px)
nuroboto.jpg
134KB, 1000x1000px
>>52063171
>>52063189
He's a bit whiny desu.
>>
>>52063267

He said it because, while its not really depicted well in the horus heresy novels, the 40k Imperium is much more of a living nightmare for its average citizen then the 30k Imperium (at least the ideal 30k worlds).

I think it was Terra itself that made Guilliman say that.

>>52063340

No but apparently Cypher and the fallen were good guys the entire time.

>>52063355

Bit grumpy after 10,000 year nap it seems
>>
>>52063355
I heard that was shooped though
>>
>>52063400
Well, GW staff made it in photoshop presumably and then posted it to facebook.
>>
>>52063302
Kharn in his short story series killed loyalist marines by the boatload.

Loyalist marines were unable to touch Abaddon. Each swing from his sword cleaved trough 2 or three as he pushed forward with his crew. By the end, a chapter worth of marines was dead.

40K marines are piss poor.
>>
>>52063378
>No but apparently Cypher and the fallen were good guys the entire time.
That's been hinted for a while, especially for Cypher. I have doubts about the Fallen in general but it'll be a while before we find out.
>>
>>52063441
>what is the warp
>what is 10,000 years of experience
>>
>>52063302

With the exception of some of the 1st founding chapters, a lot of modern space marines would make their primarchs fucking gag at their tactics and culture.

Marines closer to their primarch tend to be better, loyalist or chaos.
>>
>>52063464

I really, really want to see the firestorm where its revealed that the fallen were loyalist the entire time and the inner cabal of all dark angels chapters are secretly chaos.

Make my meme dreams come true GW
>>
>>52063441
>Kharn in his short story series killed loyalist marines by the boatload.
Every novel protagonist carves through marines like nothing. Kharn has 10,000 years of fighting experience.

>Loyalist marines were unable to touch Abaddon.
The same can be said of Horus and Abaddon is around that power level (if not higher)
>>
File: 1469914622256.jpg (15KB, 307x462px) Image search: [Google]
1469914622256.jpg
15KB, 307x462px
are primarchs actually competitive picks for a tournament?

I can see the use of the few that give huge army wide buffs but the pure melee beat stick ones I cant really see the justification for.
>>
File: Fucklaw.jpg (686KB, 504x5000px)
Fucklaw.jpg
686KB, 504x5000px
>>52063267
>Well then the chaplains should smash his head in with a hammer, Gabriel Angelos style.
Well, Caesar was killed by his own after all...
>>52063247
A man has to stick to his principles.
>>
>>52059283

Why is so little of it non-european inspired? There's a whole planet of martial cultures they could have drawn inspiration from, so why did they ignore all the martial cultures of Africa, Asia and North America to only focus on Europe?
>>
>>52063668
I know, right? It's the current year after all.
>>
>>52063355
Isn't HE the guy who quite structured the current Imperium?
>>
>>52063267
>they don't have a physical "god" leading them and have had to do it all themselves for 10,000 years.
But they have free rhinos, more graviton imploders than 30k Mechanicum and their termies teleport :^)
>>
>>52063680
It's not trying to be a liberal shithead, it's an honest question.
>>
>>52063651
Some are some aren't stuff like Russ and Magnus are downright broken, people like Horus and Lorgar are useful and then you get Angron who exists to get ap3'd to death when you pop his Spartan
>>
>>52063668
You'd almost think it was made by guys who live in the UK before the internet was a thing ....
>>
>>52063668

All of the "European" ones outside of ultramarines, Dark Angels and Space Wolves are flimsy at best.

Death Guard and Iron Warriors being trench warfare doesn't make them French.

All legions (and custodes) do have a certain roman influence but that stems from the Emperor more than anything.

White Scars seem like an amalgamation of all east asian cultures and to their credit, actually come off as more reasonable than most of their brother legions.
>>
>>52063378
>>52063464
>>52063500
>No but apparently Cypher and the fallen were good guys the entire time.
WHAAAAAAAT.
/TG/ was right again. The memes were real.
>>
>>52063668
In the grim darkness of far future, there are only Whites.
>>
>>52063685
Well, they do lack awesome beep boops, their marines are even more numerically irrelevant than 30k Legions on a galactic scale (Seriously? A million dudes? That's it?) and our grav imploders are better and all our armies have better synergy for the most part.
Get every legion together, dose them up with a healthy bunch of Mechanicum tanks and Solar Aux commanders for them, precede the attack with a billion Rending levies and ask the Custodes to go and deal with the massive amounts of herohammer and the SoS for the psychic bullshit, I'd say we could take them.

Might be interesting at some point, massive massive Apoc game with 2k or so of every Legion plus their Primarchs, 8k Mechanicum, a whole bunch of everybody else and fighting whatever 40k stuff wants to come meet the army.

Who'd be warlord though? I vote for a buffmaster Primarch or possibly an Archimandrite for 50k points of IWND vehicles.
>>
>>52063722

Magnus is on his own tier, absolutely.

Russ though goes in the same pile as Angron, he kills stuff in melee. Great. Why did I pay that many points for some guy who's most outstanding feature is not dying to other primarchs?

Even Horus and the other primarchs with *some* army buffs don't feel like they really contribute 400+ points worth especially when their combat contribution is essentially "Make my justaerin deathstar that was going to wipe whatever I threw it at even more overkill".

There are definitely exceptions though, like Alpharius, Magnus and Lorgar who actually do feel like they're worth (or better than) their points.
>>
>>52063742
>Didn't notice the numerous hints since forever

Anon pls ...
>>
>>52063761
>A million dudes? That's it?
"Anon", at most there were only two million marines pre-heresy, and half of them went traitor. One million marines in 40k seems reasonable, especially since they can't mass recruit anymore.
Then again, a galactic crusade of 200 years probably killed less people than all of Earth's modern wars, and 10000 years is too much time for marines to be a mere million strong, so yeah:
GW/FW suck at numbers. And at rules too. At least their minis look good enough.
Also, 40k graviton kill termies while ours can't even be fired on the move or are only in Dakkamancer hands (Centurion suits and Kataphrons will have a say), and while we have RoWs, they have a billion Formations for each faction.
Cut 40k their due and leave them on their own, at least we have heroes of legend and Primarchs...
>Guilliman revived
Fuck 40k.
Assemble the League of Extraordinary Characters once more.
>>
>>52062740
African wars are the most interesting wars.

Especially colonial era ones where they actually were techno-barbarians.
>>
>>52063668
As the other anon said, it was the 1980s in England, not the 2010s in L o n d o n.

And there's a significant proportion of people in 40k who are basically described as being "Caucasians" from the other side of the Mediterranean from the places which fall under "white" in the modern parlance.

It's not just the TS either. In Fear to Tread, a Blood Angel with pale features is marked out as being "iceborn" from the polar regions, while one of the characters is described as having "teak-coloured" skin. And a fair few names as well sound very "oriental", like Amit of the Flesh Tearers.
The Word Bearers are also implied to be Space ISIS and their planet somewhat like space Judea.

>>52063882
>a galactic crusade of 200 years probably killed less people than all of Earth's modern wars
No, unless you only count Space Marines.
>>
>>52063882

>at most there were only two million marines pre-heresy

A little more than two million probably. 2 million would make each legion around 110k marines and we know of some that were double that.

More so than the amount of chapters that were less than half of that.
>>
>>52063949
Stop trying to force this word bearers-ISIS meme. Most WB lore was written before ISIS was a thing, they literally can't be inspired by that unless someone at GW has a time machine.
>>
>>52063882
Recently somebody told me marine chapters should be ten thousand strong rather than just a thousand, because even for marines a thousand is a pathethic amount for the scale 40k operates on.
Was just taking the deep breath for the REEEEEE (because I'm an easily triggered lore-nerd like that) when he said "Imagine a thousand marines trying to conquer earth as it is now"

And I had to agree ... it does make a lot more sense.
>>
>>52063682
Yes, he is. I look forward to Guilliman trying to take control of the Imperium and running smack into all the laws he put into place to prevent a second Horus.
>>
File: IW.jpg (122KB, 800x593px) Image search: [Google]
IW.jpg
122KB, 800x593px
>>52063726

Not true. the IW's organisational patterns, usage of artillery and usage of armoured tanks to support their assault are nearly identical to the doctrine the French used at the start of 1918, at which point the French relied heavily on massed artillery and tanks, which would simply swarm over the battlefield overwelming the AT defenses of the Germans.
>>
>>52063949
Space ISIS? They are calvinists or lutherans anon
>>
File: d70sh2x.png (35KB, 900x751px) Image search: [Google]
d70sh2x.png
35KB, 900x751px
Post legions who did literally nothing wrong.
>>
>>52064004
Those dudes from the stor-bezashk?
>>
>>52063977
I wasn't aware anyone was "forcing" it.
It's pretty clear that by making them all swarthy desert fanatics with cuneiform script, they were subconsciously going for the Muslim/Jewish fanatic sectarian vibe.

>>52064011
They're heretics alright, but the superficial trappings point towards the Middle East.
>>
>>52064004

Yeah like I said, just because they're WW1 stereotypes doesn't really make them culturally french.

It'd be like saying Alpha Legions CIA-esque strategy means they're 1960's Americans. Its missing the forest for the trees.
>>
>>52063977
Fucking /pol/-ultramarines mang
>>
>>52064015
Alpha Legion. Their masterplan was the best option after all.

Even Roughbutt agrees with that after his nap.
>>
>>52063882
They have upped the support and Army troops to number in the billions. The Legions should be fluffed as the weapon of last resort, used for the most horrific enemies.
>>
>>52064015
I think until Angelus arrives we're going to have to stick a great bit "yet" on the end of that statement, anon.
>>
>>52063987

Technically no Chapter is exactly 1000 marines strong. If I recall correctly, Bolter and Chainsword ran the numbers and a full strength chaptr would come out at closer to 1,200 Marines, as the numbers listed never include much of the leadership or support staff. There might be 1000 Line marines and then all the Captains, Apothecaries, Librarians, Techmarines etc.
>>
>>52064030
>Cuneiform script
> Muslim/Jewish
More like akkadians or assyrians if you want to go that way. Which unironically were sworn enemies of jews
>>
>>52063802
There are plenty of hints that Cypher was loyal or at least trying to atone for his betrayal and have been for as long as he's existed.

The rest of the Fallen not so much.
>>
>>52064083
Arr rook same
>>
>>52063500
>>52063742
It's increasingly likely that the green guys were Luthor's. They repented and that's why the DA and their successors feel so guilty - it never made sense for the good guys to be THAT secretive about it. Though I still don't get why they'd be so obsessed with interrogating the Fallen, who in this scenario wouldn't have anything to repent.

Dunno. I hope GW have actually thought this through.

>>52063949
>>52063668
I'll only list the legions that I think are based on an ethnicity/culture:

I: formerly Native American, now monastic European (in M41, anyway)
III: European nobility
V: Mongols plus Chinese Taoism and the Japanese thing of samurai being artists in their spare time.
VI: European (Vikings)
IX: European (Renaissance)
XIII: Roman, maybe Greco-Roman
XV: Persia+Egypt

I'd argue that, Black Templars aside, the other legions are more about specializing in one type of combat/strategy than being ethnic stereotypes. So that's seven culture-based legions (six if you exclude the DA in the 30k era), of which two are non-European. The Raven Guard do get a few Maori/Polynesian hints, played up more in the Space Sharks.
>>
>>52064120

desu I think Dark Angels were even more space Knights in 30k than in 40k
>>
>>52064031

I should have clarified more. I meant, Tactics wise, they resemble the French in WWI, Name and feel wise, they are essentially bitter Greeks.

most legions have a seperate cultural identity combined with a resemblance to a real life army.

the Alpha Legions for instance, draws, oddly enough, quite a bit from Mao's people's war and the PAVN in Vietnam.
>>
File: edgehammer.jpg (28KB, 450x319px) Image search: [Google]
edgehammer.jpg
28KB, 450x319px
>>52064088
>>52063802
No I mean, I waved them away. "It's a meme", I said. Turns out the Rock isn't the DA base. It's the Lion's prision.
>>
>>52064044
Imma weep for them starting now.
>>
>>52064142

Yeah that's fair.
>>
>>52064107
> Tfw when I play Word Bearers
> tfw when I study history of the ancient near east
> tfw when ISIS has destroyed a lot of those cultures history
I hate you anon
>>
>>52064015
Here, I will post a primarch that literally did nothing wrong.
>>
>>52064142
>Name and feel wise, they are essentially bitter Greeks.
That's more of Iron Hands, what with unkillable marines marching relentlessly and super-armoured tanks acting as cavalry.
>>
>>52064120
>IX: European (Renaissance)
The Baal tribes are basically techno-Bedouin though, if I'm understanding it correctly.

>>52064134
They were. After Caliban got destroyed they had to recruit from somewhere, but then that place destroyed meaning bone-coloured Deathwing.

Also "monastic European" and "European nobility" (which isn't the defining influence for the EC) aren't ethnicities, they were cultural practices/subgroups. Ultramarines are culturally Roman because they name everyone "-ius", but ethnically they vary, it's not like Space Wolves or White Scars where the legions are defined by being copypastas of certain IRL ethnicities in barbarous times, genetic appearances and all.
>>
>>52064183
Have Faith, Word Bearer
>>
>52064202
Didn't wait for the Emperor to team up and fight 2 vs. 1
>>
>>52064134
>29k Vanilla Marines of absolute vanillaness
>30k Space Knights
>31k~36k Space Native American Knights
>~36k-40k Space Monk Knights

It's really a waste that GW hasn't done more with the culture of the Dark Angels drawing on their having gone through 3 primary homeworlds and now multiple smaller recruiting worlds. Plainsworld, in particular, should have more obvious connections with the Chapter besides white Termies given that it was the Chapter's sole recruiting world for at least half of its history.
>>
Shame that there is no Legion that focuses on glorious lance charge.

And there is also no Legion that focuses on glorious longbow.
>>
>>52064348
>lance charge
Emperor's Children.
>longbow
Raven Guard.
>>
File: Gardinaal.png (457KB, 365x544px) Image search: [Google]
Gardinaal.png
457KB, 365x544px
>>52063952
More than 2 million, less than 3. There were some legions with 130-185k marines and also the UM, but there were also some smaller ones like DG, RG, SW and TS.
Also, I don't know how many WS were there, so I'll concede your point
>>52063977
>Most WB lore was written before ISIS was a thing
Lots of stuff was written pre-ISIS, man.
>>52064039
>They have upped the support and Army troops to number in the billions. The Legions should be fluffed as the weapon of last resort, used for the most horrific enemies.
Oh this is great. I thought it was relegated to my headcanon. You see MaSade and the other mortals, they're the true face of the Great Crusade.
It's just that stuff like pic related make it seem as if you could conquer a world and only lose 500000 men, while Verdun spent almost a million and wasn't the only fight of that war.
>>
>>52064206
Mechanicum are greek
Iron Warriors are greek
Iron Hands are greek

Anything that has to do with metal is greek, as it turns out.
>>
>>52064348
>longbow

My lost Legion's whole shtick is being fantasy rangers IN SPAAACE
>>
>>52064284

GW never usually go much into cultures even with codexes, its normally left up to BL or FW typically.

All that blank space can one day be used by a competent author to make them really interesting.

See how Aaron Wright turned the White Scars from dumb stereotypes into a cool representation of mainland east Asia mixed with terran immigrants.

>>52064380

>More than 2 million, less than 3.

That sounds pretty reasonable.

>Oh this is great. I thought it was relegated to my headcanon. You see MaSade and the other mortals, they're the true face of the Great Crusade.
>It's just that stuff like pic related make it seem as if you could conquer a world and only lose 500000 men, while Verdun spent almost a million and wasn't the only fight of that war.

500,000 troopers assisting a lightning strike of ultramarines with orbital support could take over a world in the sense of decapitating and capitulating the existing government, rather than literally conquering every meter.

Obviously that failed horrifically in this case though.

The Imperial Army fluff tends to give the impression that it would make the current Guard look paltry in comparison.
>>
Who is the best pure infantry Legion?
>>
So, is 'Imperial Army' the Imperial Militia or the Solar Auxilla?
>>
>>52064501

Do you mean actual foot slogging or just non vehicle?
>>
File: Wield the blade.png (185KB, 389x210px) Image search: [Google]
Wield the blade.png
185KB, 389x210px
>>52064501
In the fluff? DG
>>
>>52064519

...what's the difference?
>>
>>52064501
DG/IW and WE do footslogging guns and footslogging melee the best respectively
>>
>>52064505

Both.

Imperial Militia is more planetary defense forces or newly tithed regiments.

Solar Auxilia are elites trained in the traditions of Sol.

>>52064545

Do you consider bikes, jet bikes and assault marines pure infantry?
>>
>>52064545
IW and DG footslogg, AL, RG and NL can sneak towards the enemy so they aren't really footslogging, while BA jump towards the enemy.
>>
>>52064560

>DG
>IW
>WE

Welp, looks like Iron Warriors for me. All-white armies give me the terror.
>>
File: Ferrus Praise.png (285KB, 378x308px) Image search: [Google]
Ferrus Praise.png
285KB, 378x308px
>>52064560
>WE does footslogging melee
The Nails bit in too deep on this one. He's ripe for induction to the Red Butchers corps.
>>
>>52064594
>He's not footslogging 120 S6 angry men

Angron
Get the nails
>>
>>52064638
I'm safe from Angron inside this Caestus :^)
>>
>>52064638
>taking surlak
>taking inductii
neck yourself
>>
>>52064638

I happily would! But painting 120 suits of white armour is beyond my ability.
>>
>>52064602
>War Hounds
>>
>>52064654
I don't understand this meme why can't he join one?

>>52064660
>Melee legion isn't allowed to be good at melee
Fuck off Russ
>>
>>52064687

Cant assault a zooming flyer m80.
>>
File: DG vehicles.png (263KB, 383x300px)
DG vehicles.png
263KB, 383x300px
>>52064684
It's not as if Angron got rid of all his tanks when he became the XIIth's general.
That was Mortarion, in a way.
>>52064687
>>Melee legion isn't allowed to be good at melee
Is this another "Surlak + Kharn stereotype list" episode?
>>
>>52063882
I was imagining a straight square-off between 2.5k roughly from each faction, including some divisions. So there'd be a Reductor army and a Cybernetica one, and one from each Chaos Legion/Daemon army, but not multiple vanilla marine or Bangles chapters, for instance. So there'd be about 5000 points of grav-weapons tops. Probably would mean a rather wonky battle, though, since it would be a question of whether the guys fighting the Eldar, Tau and Spess Muhreens broke before we could finish mopping up the Orks, Dark Eldar and Nids to come and help them.

Re. Marine numbers, even 3 million is pitifully small compared to the number of planets they supposedly took. Do we have a number for that? Assuming about two hundred thousand, at least, and even then it would be"Imperial Army with the occasional Admech fleet mixed in, with even more occasional Marines showing up to steal glory for the Rememberancers and bump their Compliance quota up with guys who don't fight"

>>52064380

Yeah, GW is bad at numbers, FW slightly less but still a bit terrible.
>>
>>52064687
>taking an obviously broken special character because actual tactics are too difficult
nice one, faggot
>>
>>52064669
Dude, just paint 110 suits, and then you only have 10 suits of white armour to paint. Easy.
>>
Anyone have a download link for the Burning of Prospero Painting Guide?
>>
>>52057071
We are waaay overdue for dorn and alpharius
>>
>>52056581
Make sure you talk about how shitty BL is.
>>
>>52064728
>Surlak
>Broken

110 point for the option to get +1S -BS on models that can't score on a Primus

also what tactic do WE have aside from charge the nearest enemy and hit him with a chainaxe
>>
>>52057071
>I hope it's Dorn

Nope, its Sanguinius but the guy thats working on Sangui said he wanted to work on Dorn after.

I assume another sculptor is working on the Lion so we could have Sanguinius>Lion>Dorn>Alpharius>Khan, if thats the case then the book after Angelus SHOULD be about the Solar Campaign and it could have the WS thrown in as somehow being part of the War in the Webway/Warp and then arriving on Terra.
>>
>>52059283
*Emperor's Children : Romans
EC look more like French aristocrats from the 17th century to me. Arrogant, stylish and unbearable motherfuckers. Bonus point for having fleur de lys and baroque decorations on their armours.
>>
>>52064861
>absolutely minimal investment for a gorillion s6 attacks with a 4+ fnp on most units, and a 3+ on whatever unit surlak is jerking off in
shits fucking cancer if you dont spam artillery, which you shouldnt
they can mash face just fine with rage and s5 across the board anyways
>>
File: magnus_folly.jpg (551KB, 1112x2164px) Image search: [Google]
magnus_folly.jpg
551KB, 1112x2164px
>>
>>52060038

Let me tell you about a period of history known as La Terreur.
>>
>>52064209
>The Baal tribes are basically techno-Bedouin though
Sure, but it doesn't exactly show through in the legion/chapter's culture.

>>52064442
>Aaron Wright
Chris Wraight
I know the Terran character that got a lot of focus was Scandinavian or something, but someone from the (presumably very crowded) Asiatic hives would have been even more different from the Chogorians.

>>52064545
Not him, but sometimes it isn't clear if bikes, jump packs, or teleporters count. Anyway, IW and DG. They have bonuses to movement or absorbing fire, enough shooty units to force the opponent to attack your firebase, and shooty Terminators (which are a little rare). Those are great because they also defend the firebase in assault.

SW might work since Grey Hunters can run extra. Infiltrating legions might work (NL, RG, AL) but it's riskier.
>>
>>52064905
Do you just straight up not have a single blase template in your lists, how else can you not overcome massed T4 3+
>>
>>52064348
>longbow.
The WS relic is a longbow.
>>
>>52064724
>Yeah, GW is bad at numbers, FW slightly less but still a bit terrible.

Playing the numbers game is going to be relatively futile without context, since we can't just transplant WWI's numbers onto every battle.

There is something that can sort of explain the relatively lowball numbers given for Imperial Guard/Army troop strengths in Warhammer lore - they only give the numbers of combat troops and completely gloss over headquarers, logistics and support, whereas in the real history we tend to lump in all personnel into one figure when only a small portion are in actual combat elements. Somehow I doubt a 40k force is going to have a tooth to-tail-ratio of better than 1:3
>>
>>52064786
Off yourself for not checking the OP.
>>
>>52065009
>ugh anon, just deal with the fact i discard an extra 50% of wounds against everything not str 8+
>>
>>52065118
The link is broken you cyber bully.
>>
>>52065118
It's broken.
Off yourself for not checking yourself
>>52065129
>cyber bully
Oh wow.
>>
>>52064669
>Spray White
>Apply blood liberally
There you go. 1 easy trick to getting World Eaters tabletop ready.
>>
File: 1463978534591.jpg (43KB, 960x719px) Image search: [Google]
1463978534591.jpg
43KB, 960x719px
>>52065124

Are you implying 30k lacks an abundance of Str 8+ shooting
>>
>>52065124
So
>Legion that is literally only uses assault shouldn't be good in assault
>>
File: MaSade.png (592KB, 284x1476px)
MaSade.png
592KB, 284x1476px
>>52064724
I don't quite remember the numbers right now, but I think Macharius was perhaps the greatest mortal Lord Commander of them all and re-conquered enough worlds to get the Imperium up to the ~1 million worlds mark, acquiring something like 3 worlds per year...but even his achievements pale before Guilliman's and his legion, whom conquered the most worlds with exception of the Luna Wolves.

Also, 30k marines could get the upper hand with Plasma tactical squads and fuckloads of artillery...but 40k has bullshit formations and rules.
>>
>>52065167
>you can only be good at assault if you're S6 with 4+++
>>
>>52065188
In seventh edition and with 30ks prevalence of quad mortars, then basically yes. Either that or you pay for spartans for all your blobs, which is arguably worse
>>
>>52065188

you know he only gives that 4+ FNP to the one unit he joins right? Everyone else gets 6+.
>>
File: banana bikes.jpg (3MB, 2641x3636px) Image search: [Google]
banana bikes.jpg
3MB, 2641x3636px
Is it just me or are the Custodes jetbike rules criminally underrated right now? Everyone is busy losing their shit over the dreads, HQ and companions, but the jetbikes are CRAZY shooty. Maybe people misread their gun rules and don't realize that they upgrade their gun with another gun, not replace it...? Having a 36" S6 AP3 Heavy 3 gun and a 36" S9 AP2 Heavy D3 gun on a T6 W2 2+/5++ model that can jump-shoot-jump sounds worth it even when it does cost 100 points per guy.

>but they replace the gun
I'm pretty sure they don't, and even if they do I'd still take the S9 gun. Bananas don't have a lot of long range high strength guns and jetbikes are an ideal platform for that kind of thing.
>>
>>52065271

People for some reason don't shit a brick at how fucking good fast attack is in general.

Bikes and land speeders of all flavors are fucking phenomenal.
>>
>>52065247
>what is crimson path+apothecaries
>>
>>52065188
>I cant deal with 20 man T4 3+ 6+fnp squads

Just take anything with a blast template

>>52065319
>Taking Crimson path over Bezerker Assault
>Apothecaries

So literally something every legion can take? 20 man tac squads OP please nerf
>>
>>52065271
>follows the rules for normal jetbikes and in addition increases its toughness by 1
So, since the rules for Jetbikes already increase toughness by one, does this make them T7?
>>
>>52063651
>>52063722
>>52063770
I've used Corax, his ability to dodge the usual primarch-killing stuff from his 'shadowed lord' trait helps a huge amount to making him worth it. He's also good for vehicle hunting using death strike mode in an army that doesn't usually do anti-vehicle well.
>>
>>52065118
link's broken ya cunt
>>
>>52065319

But thats crimson path, not Gurlak.

Also nobody will never accuse Crimson Path of actually being good.
>>
>>52065377

Like other Horus Heresy bike choices, its included sadly.
>>
>>52064786
what scheme you want? They are exactly the same as Duncans's guides, he has thousand sons, space wolves, word bearers and Sons of Horus that I know of.
>>
>>52065418
So, the Custards riding it must be T4.
>>
>>52065319
>>52065154
>>
>>52065271
RAW you take the weapons as an upgrade for the whole squadron. That's nasty.

They are obviously very good, and the miniatures are going to be criminally overcosted...
>>
>>52065319

So how exactly are you going to get those 21 man not-scoring blobs into my deployment zone to take advantage of 4+ FNP.

>>52065444

The proper answer would be more along the lines of "yes there are metric tons of STR 8 weapons in 30k and trying to rely on tactical blobs with apothecaries against a normal all comers list will be an uphill battle".
>>
>>52065439

Since the jetbike is T6, its consistent with the bike giving the normal custodes a +1T bonus.
>>
File: IMG_2022.jpg (295KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2022.jpg
295KB, 1600x1200px
>>52065313
I mean, anyone that's played normal 40k ought to know how good jetbikes with good guns are after the Eldarpocalypse of 7th edition scat packs. JSJ with 36"+ guns is incredibly frustrating to deal with. On top of that, they still have a Power Lance +Misericordia for very punchy close-combat in case you need to dive into melee. Honestly, the only thing the Custodes bikes have against them is that they don't have Implacable Advance, as jetbike scoring is best scoring. It's a good thing none of their guys do, either, or everyone would just take min troops and spam all the other slots.

>>52065377
It literally says, in the same rule, that the bonus has already been added to their profile. Bike/Jetbike bonuses are always in the profile for units that come with them by default; the rule description is there in case they make them a character option in the future.

Also, now that we have the entire book, it's pretty damn annoying that they didn't actually put the rules for Misericordia anywhere in the book. We have to use the 40k rules, which is a bit iffy considering the 30k and 40k Custodes rules differ in a lot of ways.

>>52065456
Huh, I didn't notice that. That's an obvious copy/paste typo if you ask me, but yeah, if you want to abuse it and argue RAW you could save a lot of points. I wouldn't do that, though, people have enough reasons to dislike the Talons rules.

Looking at the models again I'm actually doubting myself about the upgrade-rather-than-replace thing, but we'll see when we get a better look at them I guess.
>>
>>52065271
Do we even know what the Misericodia was in the end?

How was Inferno so delayed yet so rushed
>>
>>52064905
>shits fucking cancer if you dont spam artillery

So use Techmarine+Rad Missile Servitors or throw a contemptor at it, or throw two boxnoughts or Vindicators or a flamer squad or Flame Predators, or literally any other HS choice.
>>
>>52065432
I heard it came with all the legions, been out of the game for years and was thinking of painting a few models and maybe jump back it but unsure of what to pick
>>
>>52065504
In the 40k rules it's a S:U AP3 close combat weapon; it's basically a Custodes-sized power dagger - or, in other words, a power sword. For rules, it gives you a baseline SP3 close combat for the units that have them (companions, terminators, jetbikes and Valdor), and it acts as a +1A bonus for units with non-specialist weapons (power gauntlets for most, jetbikes have power lances default).
>>
>>52065504

Its a power sword.

>>52065499

Seriously. Chogorian Brotherhood makes scimitars and outriders scoring, its sickeningly good and nobody knows it yet.

As far as the guns, on the models they clearly replace the bolt cannon but whatever, wait for the FAQ.
>>
>>52065504
It has no rules, and does nothing.
>>
>>52065377
>>52065444
>>52065477
>>52065499
>>52065511
>>52065555
bless these digits
>>
>>52065271
>Maybe people misread their gun rules and don't realize that they upgrade their gun with another gun, not replace it...?
I think your interpretation is really a stretch...
>>
>>52065605

Look at the wording, typically if you lose your gun when you upgrade it will say "replace your X with Y for Z points"

This just says WITH, not instead.
>>
>>52065605
Well, they have that Sweeping Fire rule that doesn't make any sense unless they can take two shooting weapons. Otherwise all the rule does is say they're allowed to shoot in the shooting phase. Like, thanks FW, I wasn't aware of that, how unique and interesting. The only other thing I can thing of is that one of them could throw a grenade in addition to shooting a gun, but that's awfully silly.

>>52065700
Also this. Normal wording is that they "replace" a weapon, not "upgrade" a weapon. Upgrade generally implies you take a piece of wargear in addition to whatever you already have.

The only pictures of the model I've seen are from the side, and there's room on the model for the bolt cannon to be attached/underslung below the upgraded weapon. So, again, until there's an FAQ or they release the model it's hard to say what the intent is.

I mean, I wouldn't run them until they have a model anyway, since I actually really like their models and it's not the kind of thing I'd want to try and make a shitty conversion for.
>>
Plasma gun support squad worth it on itself or should it have an apothecary?
>>
>>52065700
>>52065746
I can see that, but the book is so full of sloppy writing that I have to assume this was unintentional.
>>
>>52065814
apo is nearly mandatory if you have the points
>>
>>52065499
>copy/paste typo
>FW
Surprise surprise !

>people have enough reasons to dislike the Talons rules.
Unless you are taking a Shieldtode tribune, TotE are not that broken. Very powerful in assault but expensive as fuck, anybody with tarpits will ruin your plans.
>>
>>52065816

T b h its the sweeping fire rule that makes me think its intentional, as that rule does literally nothing unless they can have more than 1 gun each.
>>
>>52065837
Dude are you saying Furious Assault isn't a thing
>>
>>52065837
Their shooting seems underrated to me, but most lists I've seen don't use many vehicles or jetbikes. If you spam their transports, tanks and bikes they actually have a lot of dakka.

Honestly, I'd have a hard time not taking the 275 point cheese tribune, at least until I've gotten to use it a few times to see if it ends up being as broken as everyone says it is. I know it maths out to be absurd and picking your warlord trait is always insane, but the actual impact that has on the game can vary a lot depending on the opponent and the scenario.

>>52065837
Honestly, part of me wants to pay "intended" price for the jetbike gun upgrades just because bikes that cost exactly 100 points and have no unit tax satisfies my list-building OCD so deliciously. Makes it really easy to scale lists up and down between different point limits
>>
>>52065942
I do not neglect shooting dear anon, I plan to play a Caladius and some bikes. However we must face the truth, Custodes have nothing for dealing with hordes unless you go full firepikes, so tarpits are the shit.

Coronus are not bad, but 135pts is still expensive. Agamatus are crazy cool and will be utterly OP if the "upgrade-does-not-replace" thing is confirmed.
>>
>>52065865
Grey Killers are OP. Good my Eaglion exterminators with master-forged force gauntlets can crush them effortlessly.
>>
File: Kangz.jpg (79KB, 540x757px) Image search: [Google]
Kangz.jpg
79KB, 540x757px
Need two questions answered about upgrades (cause I'm new to rules so this stuff isn't obvious).

1. The rule for a Tactical Sergent says I can swap his bolter and/or chainsword for one of the following upgrades (queue list). Am I able to swap BOTH for one each (taking a combi weapon and a power weapon), or may I only exchange one. I am confused because it says 'and/or' (the and signalling you can exchange both for one each). My Sergent awaits handless for an answer.

Second question is regarding Tactical Support Squads, in regards to the Sergent upgrading his chainsword/CCW for a better melee weapon, does the Sergent already come with a CCW (assuming from his two attacks in profile) so I do not have to trade: effectively I could have a Sergent with a special weapon and the power weapon. I assume so but want to clarify.

Once again I assume I can do these upgrade, just want to check so I don't model stuff by mistake. Thanks.
>>
>>52065605
No it makes sense, the Bolter Custodes have underslung Adrathic weapons with that Combination Weapon rule. It's about having different tools for different jobs, not shooting multiple weapons at once.
>>
File: banana split spam.png (72KB, 676x1785px)
banana split spam.png
72KB, 676x1785px
>>52066087
Well, if you go crazy with MSU transports you can try to cheese them with tank shocks. Skimmer can tank shock, right? The -2 to hit in close combat against Custodes skimmers would be really annoying for a horde melee list.

The also have no anti-air, so I imagine Fire Raptors are going to be really, really annoying for bananas. You can snap fire a Caladius at it, but with only three shots on the thing that ignores jink saves that doesn't seem very good.

But, yeah, in general I think you need to take a decent amount of templates if your meta is horde-y. Either that or ally in some IW or Ordo Reductor for artillery support.

I've been toying around with a few different list ideas for what you can build with the currently available models, and one of the things I discovered was that a naked Shield Captain, 6 units of spear guys with transports, a unit of las jetbikes and a tank with the upgrade gun is exactly 2500 points; if you wanna skip the bikes until the models are out you can just do another tank instead and then spend the extra points on upgrades for various things (or just make the Shield Captain a boss tribune). You could probably scale that down to 2000 points using only available models pretty easily, too.

That honestly seems like a pretty legit mechanized list with a lot of scoring potential to boot. Custards don't have any new unit cost penalties like most 30k lists do, so MSU is a very strong way to run them (makes sense, with the whole "army of individuals" thing they have going on).
>>
>>52066185
You can swap one or both weapons. So yes, both is an option - but people don't do it very often.

Support squad guys have a bolt pistol in their standard wargear; that's the CCW that they start with. The two attacks is not for having an extra weapon.
>>
>>52066259
Agamatus have Lastrum bolt cannons, not Adrastus calivers.
>>
new thread please
>>
>>52066259
I just feel that if the intention was to add a weapon, it would say you "may upgrade the bike with one of the following weapons" instead of you "may upgrade its Iliastus bolt cannon with..."

Never mind the Squadron issue. What a mess.
>>
Will Sanguinius have WS 9?
>>
File: sauce.jpg (2MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
sauce.jpg
2MB, 3648x2736px
hey what's the name of this comic?
>>
>>52066297
Thanks for your list anon. I have no Coronus yet and I won't buy any before a long time since I have no more kidney to sell and I want to field some Hetaeron and Aquillon because of personal taste, but your advice is appreciated.
>>
>>52059966

Say around this time next year.
>>
>>52066364
Probably, at this point I wouldn't be surprised if he is WS 10.
>>
>>52066364
Maybe. But WS doesn't matter if he can't negate Disabling Strike and other exothermic bullshits.
>>
>>52066364
I wouldn't be surprised if he just flat out hits on a 2+. Probably with some wound multiplication on top of it.
>>
>>52066494
Or he could get some kind of pseudo Precognition. 5 attacks at WS8 S8 and a 4++ with rerolls is no joke.
>>
Who sculpts the Primarchs? He keeps getting mentioned here.
>>
>>52066553
Eh, seems a bit boring. I don't really see Sangy as being super tough. Instead an extremely powerful beatstick.
>>
Trying to come up with a White Scars list. I don't want it to be 100% bikes and jetbikes... but I don't know if they'd transport marines in Rhinos or Land Raiders. In old fluff, Land Raiders were more common at some point, did that change?

Which legions received Cerberuses?
>>
>>52066298
So the Support Sergeant does not start with a CCW/Chainsword in their wargear then?
>>
>>52066669

They absolutely use rhinos and land raiders, Khan even rides on top of one at Terra.

Also consider a storm eagle, with the white scars rules they come in on a 2+ reserve roll if they're the first unit you roll for.
>>
We might need a new thread pretty soon.
>>
>>52066371
Moomins t. Finn
>>
>>52066595
Russ is supposed to be a powerful beatstick too and still get this obnoxious -2 to hit thing. Sanguinius must be this tier of toughness if he wants to be the bestest primarch.
>>
>>52066832
Thanks
>>
Which of the HH novels do you like the most?
>>
>>52066737
I want to stick to one kind of tank chassis (just for some semblance of a theme) so I'm basically asking: Rhinos or Land Raiders? Does anyone even use Land Raiders?

But good call on the Storm Eagle, that makes sense and it's a good looking model. Hmm, that kind of pushes me towards an all-aerial list (including jetbikes and speeders) but that might be cheesy or a little too paper-scissors-rock.

>>52066722
No, the whole squad comes with a flamer, bolt pistol, frag/krak grenades, and power armor. (For comparison, the Assault Squad specifically lists "combat blade or chainsword" in their wargear.) Some unit entries give their sergeants extra gear, but not this one.

The sergeant has an option to take a CCW+augury scanner or bolter+augury scanner. You have to take the CCW+scanner option in order to use the option further down which lets you exchange the combat blade/chainsword for a power weapon, power fist, etc.
>>
>>52067050
Thanks man, that makes it much clearer. I was trying to find if Tac Sergeants had their own wargear profile but that clears things up. Really appreciate the help!
>>
>>52067025
Whichever one would cause the most ignorant 'I'm too stupid to understand basic tie-in fiction writing' shitposting itt probably.
>>
>>52067099
Master of Mankind?
>>
>>52067025
The Path of Heaven.

Betrayer and Know No Fear are top-tier too. I also really liked Fulgrim but it's far from universally liked.
>>
>>52067112
I like you.
>>
>>52067050
>I want to stick to one kind of tank chassis (just for some semblance of a theme) so I'm basically asking: Rhinos or Land Raiders? Does anyone even use Land Raiders?

what, why? Its perfectly fine to mix rhinos and land raiders

If you want land raiders for all your tacticals you can play Armored Spearhead and get them as dedicated transports. Seekers also can get Proteus as dedicated transports.

If you aren't transporting melee troops, take a Proteus or Achilles.

>pushes me towards an all aerial list

flyers aren't quite skimmers or jet bikes. Zooming is the defining characteristic of flyers and neither skimmers nor bikes do that, so don't worry about being pidgeon holed.

Anyway look at the Chogorian Brotherhood rite of war for WS, its the definition of fluffy WS army building.
>>
>>52067050
If you want cross-game compatibility rhinos would be good. White Scars Battle Company is by far the most common 40k Space Marine tournament list and you need a lot of rhinos and/or razorbacks to run it.

Personally, I'd lean towards Rhinos over Land Raiders for White Scars in general, since LRs feel too clunky for their playstyle and themes. Scars are all about MSU fast infantry in my view, either mounted or mechanized. LRs eat into your points too much for MSU to make much sense, and LR spam mechanized lists are really more of an Iron Hands thing.
>>
>>52067025
I get more milage out of the anthologies than I do the books. the short stories are nicely self-contained, and while they might have nods to other books they are forced by the format to get to the point quickly. Many gems are in there, such as the Last Church, Last Remembrancer, and others.
>>
>>52067123
>The Path of Heaven
The White Scars story? I've heard mixed things about it.
>>
>>52067123
>The Path of Heaven.
I've said this before, but I think the through-line of the White Scars plot is probably the best in the series.
That includes the Arvida, Mortarion, Russ+Bjorn and even the Emperor's Children supporting elements.
>>
>>52067159

Scars and Path of Heaven are great

the first short story before either of those with the librarian is vaguely racist
>>
>>52067183
>the first short story before either of those with the librarian is vaguely racist
I think you mean the section in A Thousand Sons.
The first short story in the sequence is the one that introduces Arvida, it's fine.
>>
In Inferno, where are the rules for the Misericordia? I can't seem to find them in the Custodes wargear section.
>>
gib new bread ploz
>>
>>52067220
>In Inferno, where are the rules for the Misericordia? I can't seem to find them in the Custodes wargear section.

It's missing from the book. You should send an email to Forgeworld and let us know what they say.
>>
>>52067177
I dunno, I'm not really a fan of Eidolon. After getting through Fulgrim and the short stories, I've come to think he's kinda boring.
>>
>>52067159
It's the sequel to Scars, and imo it's better. The Scars are getting a little bitter after four hard years of being alone in traitor space. The Emperor's Children are the main antagonists and I think their portrayal as an increasingly Chaos-influenced legion is great. The story also starts talking about the Emperor's big secret project - in that sense I think it's good to read it before Master of Mankind.

Dunno, I thought it was pretty consistently strong. It probably loses a lot if you don't read Scars first to get to know the characters - which I'd say is a good book, but not top-tier. If you're really committed, Brotherhood of the Storm (novella) comes first but it isn't necessary.
>>
>>52067250
Eidolon is a complete tool, but for what he is, he was shown in the best light as a complete tool in that book.
But I was more thinking about the Palatine Blade guy and showing the EC as more than just the rejects from a Clive Barker script that they are usually shown as.
>>
>>52067250
Yeah, but the other EC characters are good.
>>
Has anyone had a chance to actually try out the Custodes/SoS?
Just got my copy of Inferno and saw the picture of the Custodian in black and the one of the sister in silver and now I'm trying really hard to not start an army.
>>
>>52067241
It's not missing. Alan Bligh mentioned during the Weekender seminar the Misericordia is just a symbol of office. It literally has no other rules in the game.
>>
>>52067291
>a symbol of office
So are the Custodian Spears and Crozius Arcanii, and they hit hard.
>>
>>52067267
>>52067159
To add to this anon of fine taste,
go Rebirth > Brotherhood of the Storm > Scars > Allegiance > Path of Heaven > Last Son of Prospero for the full story. it's a good and surprisingly emotional trip.
>>
>>52067303
Either way, there are no rules and will not be rules for the Misericordia.
>>
>>52067271
>the Palatine Blade guy
Which one was that? Cario or whatever his name was?
>>
>>52067271
I don't get how he's not out of a job, he keeps fucking up all the time.
>>
File: Misericordia.jpg (161KB, 591x552px) Image search: [Google]
Misericordia.jpg
161KB, 591x552px
>>52067220
It's missing. For the time being we're assuming they're the same as the power knives they have in 40k, as the book does have a lore description of the weapon and their use that would match the power knives rules the Custodes have in 40k.
>>52067291
>>52067319
If that's true that's fucking retarded, especially since some units have close combat weapons and others have Misericordia where you would think they would have CCWs. They need to at least clarify whether or not they're a weapon even if they have no strength/AP values or special rules.
>>
File: custodes wargear.png (48KB, 158x136px)
custodes wargear.png
48KB, 158x136px
This is pretty confusing, it is listed as their wargear.
>>
>>52067291
>It's not missing. Alan Bligh mentioned during the Weekender seminar the Misericordia is just a symbol of office. It literally has no other rules in the game.

How come only some units carry them while others don't? The Shield Captain doesn't have one. Valdor has one. Hetareon and Terminators have them. Regular Custodian Guards don't have them. Sentinels don't have them (but they have an extra CCW on top of their warblades and shields). Sagitarum have them. and so on.

It seems so random.
>>
>>52067394
Bligh probably just made shit up to cover a misprint.
>>
>>52067323
Yeah, Cario.

>>52067353
By then his boss was losing touch with reality.
>>
>>52067407
I thought Bligh said the Misericordia was reflected in their stats and not necessarily shown through wargear rules?
>>
>>52067394
Maybe in future books models that carry a Misericordia will have additional rules or maybe a pseudo RoW will require models only with Misericordia. Who knows?
>>
>>52067353
I think it boils down to two things. 1) Eidolon's boss really doesn't give enough of a shit to permanently fire his ass, and 2) Eidolon is stupidly good at not getting himself killed by people who wouldn't want to resurrect him afterwards.
>>
>>52067423
That also doesn't make sense. Hatareon and Terminators have three attacks, but Sagitarum and Agamatus do not. There's nothing in their stats that the dagger would represent that's consistent across the units that have them.
>>
>>52067250
I kind of enjoy him as a Starscream sort of character. Cowardly and ineffectual, brown-nosing to the extreme, doesn't really have anything redeemable about him except being less competent than the guy he's standing in for. He sucks, he's unlikable, and his allies would probably be better off without him. But it wouldn't feel right to not have a guy like that, on the evil team.
>>
>>52066856
Yeah, I guess. I just want to run a super powerful dueler that can still die. I'd rather not be in Tson's position where my primarch is so OP he can't really be thrown into a list without being called a waacfag.
>>
>>52060038
Ask the Algerians.
>>
>>52067687
>a super powerful dueler that can still die
Literally Fulgrim.
>>
>>52067724
Exactly, but Fulgrim hasn't aged well when fucking Russ is taking him out.
>>
Which primarch was the most chill and got along with his men? Who was the most feared and hated? Most distant but adored?
>>
>>52067750
He's probably the second best Primarch slayer, after Russ. It's not bad.
>>
>>52062740
>Also, Ashanti warriors were known for crawling on their bellies during gun exchanges as a means of gaining a tactical advantage over their opponents on guerrilla maneuverings.

In a similar manner, the Aztecs very quickly learned to throw themselves on the ground right before the Conquistadors would fire, then jump up and finish their charge while the Spanish attempted to reload.

Cortes then realized he couldn't rely on the noise of guns to subdue and terrify the Aztec anymore, and would have to use crossbows and swords and fury to beat the Aztec and as it turns out he was extremely good at this as well
>>
>>52067798
I assume you mean for his points? He gets beat by quite a few Primarchs.
>>
>>52067791
>Which primarch was the most chill and got along with his men?
A good number of names to consider. Sanguinius, Vulkan, Russ, Khan, and maybe others. They were pretty nice, relatively speaking.
>Who was the most feared and hated?
By their own legion or by others? Either way I'd probably say Mortarion or Curze.
>Most distant but adored?
Fulgrim, most likely. He had a cult of personality going on in his Legion, long before Laeran happened.
>>
>>52067840
I wonder what newbie EC thought of their primarch and how they were inducted.
>>
>>52067791
>Which primarch was the most chill and got along with his men?
Probably Vulkan, he hand-crafted a Dreadnought to give to the former leader of the legion when he was reunited with them because he respected his sacrifice and service in taking care of his boys for him. That said, there's a few other loyalist primarchs that are known for being decent leaders so it's not an exclusive club.
>Most distant but adored?
Probably Ferrus. He's the tough dad that his legion absolutely craves approval from but hardly ever gets it from him... but even a tiny half-smile speak volumes. He's a hard-ass, but deep down you know he loves you.
>Who was the most feared and hated?
That one I'm not really sure on personally. I would wager a lot of Iron Warriors aren't super fond of Perturabo, especially since of all the traitor legions IWs seem to have the most holdover loyalists.
>>
>>52067840

I wouldn't say Khan was bro tier with his men, in the sense of being familial with them.

He acts as leader of the horde and exemplar of the ideal white scar, but his depiction does show a certain (Asian appropriate) distance between him and his subordinates.
>>
>>52067983

Although that being said he commanded an exceptionally high loyalty from his legionnaires, considering he managed make the traitors in his legion change their minds by merely ordering them to.
>>
File: me irl.png (545KB, 482x712px)
me irl.png
545KB, 482x712px
does anyone happen to have a download link for the Master of Mankind audio book? Im in desperate need of painting background audio
Thread posts: 431
Thread images: 42

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.