[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Adventurer nobility

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: Yvenne Finished Small.png (3MB, 2060x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Yvenne Finished Small.png
3MB, 2060x1200px
How would you react to the idea of a fantasy setting where a significant portion, if not the majority of noblemen were once Adventurers?

I don't think it's too much of a stretch. Nobles earned title through great deeds, in the real world through political or military support of the Monarch, but such rewards also being given to those who slew dragons or saved princesses is a quite common fantasy staple.

But while the ex-adventurer noble is often an exception to the rules, it could be interesting to see a world where it was expected for every nobleman to have once been a spell slinger or sword swinger of note. Even generations down the line, nobles might require their heirs to go adventuring, to win a degree of fame and reputation for their deeds to be considered worthy of their inheritance, and so on.

Do you think this could be an interesting addition to a setting, /tg/? What sort of plot hooks or characters do you think the situation would create?

I can see there being tension between the adventurer nobles and the more standard political/mercantile nobles, complicated by the fact that marriages and so on are still a necessary part of the social fabric, which those with the experience of free spirited adventuring might rather balk at.
>>
>>52046084
The Border Princes from Warhammer Fantasy are all city-states that were founded by ex-adventurers from various human nations.
>>
>>52046084
>What sort of plot hooks or characters do you think the situation would create?

The backstory to Majesty 2 springs immediately to mind as one possibility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeiMxunjbzE
>>
File: Even Spyro is horrified.gif (3MB, 239x209px) Image search: [Google]
Even Spyro is horrified.gif
3MB, 239x209px
>>52046228
>Majesty 2
>>
>>52046301

It wasn't that bad. It lacked some of the charm of the original but it was still a solid entry in a 'genre' that basically doesn't exist outside of that single series.

>>52046228

That'd actually be a really funny thing for a group of adventurers to come across. Some moron noble trying to score quick points summons up something monstrous to slay it and take a trophy, and promptly gets pasted to the walls by it, leaving other people to clean up their mess.
>>
>>52046318
>It wasn't that bad.

That's quite the stretch.

Majesty 2 felt stripped compared to the original. Not to mention that the monster AI wasn't good at all.
>>
>>52046345
Anon who brought up Majesty 2. Yeah, I agree, it's pretty horrible. But a situation like its backstory IS what springs to mind.
>>
>>52046686
Eh. That's at least acceptable.

Then the previous king gets his wish...and everything tumbles down.
>>
Then you have early modern Europe where a lot of noble bastards and impoverished higher nobility with only the vaguest hint of a chance at inheriting a throne turn to adventuring and general antics to make ends meet without losing their privileges.
>>
File: PMlCYTR.jpg (381KB, 1792x1343px) Image search: [Google]
PMlCYTR.jpg
381KB, 1792x1343px
>>52046084
>a fantasy setting where a significant portion, if not the majority of noblemen were once Adventurers
Sounds kinda like Bretonnia.
>>
>>52046084
Wasn't this a thing in even dnd. I remember reading an article that explained that nobles and royalty gained and kept power by how many in their families could kill dragons with nothing but a spoon. And when new 'spoon-wielding dragon slayers' showed up, it was in their best interest to marry them into the family while at the same time replenishing their amount of 'spoon-wielding dragon slayers'.
>>
So I ran a setting where people with PC levels were highly uncommon, to the point that most of the time just study/training is not gonna make someone good enough to be a PC. So in response the rich and powerful fucking put their children through hell in order to ensure they're powerful because otherwise some adventuring asshole is gonna come and try and kick the nobility over.
>>
>>52046084
This is how Breton culture in Elder Scrolls works, isn't it? They're big on court and nobility, and the most popular way of getting your foot in the door is to go questing for already established nobles.

Their society is kind of divided between the extremes of poor dirt farmers, snooty aristocrats, and half crazed swordsman and spellslingers wandering the wilds.

It's pretty great.
>>
>>52046084
I like this concept better than adventurer's guilds.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.