[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have this one player that has a habit of over complicating

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1485252672227.jpg (894KB, 1000x1366px) Image search: [Google]
1485252672227.jpg
894KB, 1000x1366px
I have this one player that has a habit of over complicating situations. He's a good player otherwise, and I really enjoy playing with him. I want to pull him aside and address this with him, but I don't know how to phrase my concerns with him properly, and I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me, or just give me their opinion. (Keep in mind that I'm going to go about this by being direct with him, being honest, and keeping him in the group. So don't immediately throw your "Go to" responses of "KICK HIM OUT OF THE GROUP!" or anything like that. I want to talk to him about it directly, I just want to be clear on how we can go about fixing this, and I also want to DISCUSS it with you, /tg/.)

As an example:
>I explain that the next room has a guard in it
>He will explain his character's course of action in an overly specific way. Like a very specific attack or action that he feels will automatically succeed.
>All that's really needed is a sneak attack
>Okay, just roll a D20 and add the specific rolls
>"Well, wait. No, Anon. Do you get it? I want to do ____, _____, and _____, so that he won't be able to do anything or react."

Another common thing that this player does that I find irksome, is that he goes for really petty and illogical power grabs really early. Specifically, he tries to obtain a small army of followers without considering that his character should have to work for that sort of thing. He thinks that he can just capture every bandit that he comes across and interrogate them in to being his personal soldier, and he gets to keep this second sheet at first level of his miniature army of servants.

Like, when you enter a room with a demon guarding a door, your first reaction shouldn't be, "Stop following the orders of he who summoned you, and follow me instead."

Any thoughts?
>>
>>52010132
recommend something like the storyteller system or wushu to him. Cypher works great too

D20 can be played like that, but it needs all parties to understand that it's going to happen.
>>
>>52010168
This is a good suggestion, and I think it will definitely work for a different campaign.

We introduced in our ongoing 5e campaign, tonight. It was a lot of fun, but these issues came up. I tried to explain to him that there will actually be a lot of army building and controlling actual in-game territories, later on. But I don't think he knows the meaning of patience.

Another "issue" that really wasn't as bad for my players, but I found a tiny bit annoying on my end, was that players wanted to let others do things or come up with plans solely because they were afraid of being blamed if things went wrong. (I guess that's sort've true to life in a way.)

But that's not a very good atmosphere for the table, and I wish I could go back and listen to how that got started, because I have never had that happen before during any of my games (And I've been DMing for a very long time).

Like, one player kept turning to any other player when it was his turn and saying, "Welp, what should I do?" It got to where I had to say, "No, what does YOUR character do?"
>>
>>52010132
I with I had such a engaged player. ;_;
In my group basically everyone is too dumb to do any actions by themselves.
>>
>>52010347
Well, it's really annoying in certain situations. I run my games in such a way that's kind've cinematic at times. I never do anything unfair, but I often do things to try and push my players along. Most of the time i can pull it off subtley, in such a way that the players don't feel cheated or "railroaded".

One thing he used to do often is try and negotiate situation with me while I'm trying to run the game. The whole party will want to escape a fight and I'll be ready to move on, and he's still trying to say, "Hey, when we escape, we want to put out our torches to make sure that we conceal our identity".

This completely derails everything and makes things awkward, because now the whole situation has been influenced subtley and derailed just slightly.
>>
>>52010400
I'm guilty of this too in my game as a player.

If i can give you an advice, just give him a short "acknowledge /
I will take this into account / You'll have bonus for that / Ect ..."

He'll be happy and shutup if you give him illusion that you will.
>>
>>52010132

I've had players like that. There is a simple solution, if you're playing d20:

>"Well, wait. No, Anon. Do you get it? I want to do (1), (2), and (3), so that he won't be able to do anything or react."
> Alright. Roll Stealth for (1), then Acrobatics for (2) and a single Attack Roll for (3).

If he succeeds in all 3, you reward him with a very detailed description of how he does it and how awesome he is. If he doesn't make it, on the other hand, you provide a very detailed description of the failure, and make him suffer the consequences.

He will either continue to do it the hard way, multiple tasks in exchange for the spotlight, or shut up and roll the single die, with a maximum of +1/+2, when possible, based on his description.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.