[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

That Guy general.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 7

File: rageface.jpg (129KB, 1600x1071px) Image search: [Google]
rageface.jpg
129KB, 1600x1071px
So, I just kicked my first player tonight.

>Starting a mid level monstrous campaign, That Guy plays an ogre ranger
>With his starting money, spends a smallish chunk on a bunch of sheep
>Oh, he's going to carry them along as a mobile food source, I think
>No, instead, he uses his skills with animals to train his sheep to run around him in a circle when he gives a signal.
>That way, when they get into combat, his sheep start running around him, and he claims AOO on them, which combined with Combat Reflexes and Cleave, he uses to get extra attacks on monsters
>Shut this down immediately, your own trained sheep are not a threat, and you can't get AOOs on them.
>Complains about how I'm an unfair bullshitting GM
>Will not accede to either reason or rule zero.
>>
>>51990591
>player comes up with creative and fun solution
>shut down by muh realism power-tripping DM

Lol you shore told that le rollplayer! XD
>>
>>51990591
bait

>>51990683
fuck you for taking it
>>
>>51990683
>XD
Fuck off
>>
>>51990683

A bizarre rules exploit that makes no sense is not a 'creative and fun solution'
>>
>>51990714
>Fuck off
XD
>>
>>51990591
You can't cleave off AoO anyway, can you?
>>
>>51990720
You can't even call it an exploit, because there's no substance to the player's logic.

The GM is correct in stating that trained ALLIED sheep running in a circle will not generate AoOs. Even if it did (ignoring the far-reaching implications later on in the campaign), an AoO can't be swapped between targets; the AoO resolves against the provoker. The player is trying to gain the system in a way that isn't possible, RAW or RAI. I suspect the player had a GM in the past who operated under house rules or similar faulty logic.

OP is justified in his fictional story to kick the offender if said PC refuses to listen to sound logic and Rule Zero, as at that point the PC is only in it for himself and will prove a detriment in the future.
>>
>>51990879
3.5 RAW says it's ok

3.5 RAW is broke
>>
>>51990591
That sounds hilarious. I would've let him get away with it at least once before the sheep turn on him.
>>
File: IMG_1016.jpg (175KB, 1024x1064px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1016.jpg
175KB, 1024x1064px
>>51990591
Not a player I personally kicked out, but we all, as a group did. He was borderline retarded. Always wanted to play a ninja. Problem was that every single time he would run out, try to sneak directly into the BBEG's lair (regardless of the setting) and try to kill them by himself.

He'd always get caught and beat pretty badly or be used as a hostage.

He'd always try to meta game. Poorly. I remember one game of M:tA where my character (a newly inducted mage) comes across a drunk bum (an uninducted mage) staring at an anomaly. We were trying to figure out what it was when he announced that he teleports in. While I'm trying to keep the bum calm the GM asks what he says to us. "I'm half black and half Indian." "Is that really what you say?" "Yeah"

So we try to roll with it. My character had met him before so I ask if he knows what this thing is. His response? He picks up the bum and tries to throw him into the ooze because he figured that it would probably awaken him. It turned into a pretty big fight and chase scene because he kept trying to attack us while we were just trying to escape from the agitated anomaly.

Another time we were playing Monster of the Week. My character was the monstrous, his story was he was the antichrist but he really just wanted to be a regular high school student and play football. That guy first tried to sneak around school and find the "bad guys" (there was absolutely no reason to think that they were at school) and he beat up a guy who was cutting class and smoking in the bathroom (taking a good amount of damage himself). When he (out of character) eventually realized I was the antichrist he tried to kill me and that was the end of that.

But what got him kicked didn't really have much to do with the games themselves. He was kicked because he would always get mad. Especially around women. He would make death threats and talk shit constantly. The only player to be kicked.
>>
File: 1477759821224.png (251KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1477759821224.png
251KB, 640x360px
>>51990906
>>51990720
This. Who would even think that is an acceptable thing to do? Just blatantly trying to game the system like that in a way that makes no sense.
>>
File: 1470091695028.jpg (61KB, 640x580px) Image search: [Google]
1470091695028.jpg
61KB, 640x580px
>Join a game nearly three weeks ago roll20
>Have character ready to go in a few days
>GM approved, likes it, ready to go with no requests working just out of core
>Three others have nothing for background just stats
>One of the three is reusing the exact same concept from another game, right down to the character art
>exactly the fucking same
>Still nothing
>First session is canceled
>Still nothing from 3/5 of the party
>Session tomorrow
>still fucking nothing
>Am I that guy if I quit now?
>>
>Long Running Deathwatch game
>Four players with myself and another player running two characters
>We've been at this for closing on six months now, about four of us.
>Playing in TTS universe because we tend to flub canon and this lets us meme when we're sick of Grimdark.
>Having a genuinely great time, it's usually the high point of all our weeks, even the GMs despite the fact that we rapidly made combat a joke.
>We bring in a fifth player.
>We tell him what's up and he even offers to do commissions of our squad.
>Soundsfuckinggreat
>First Session we let him take over the Deathwing Librarian we have with us so he can get a feel for the game.
>Makes stupid fucking puns.
>Derails a brooding Dark Angel to act like an incompetent ass
>We figure he's just playing the Parody route more than we do.
>Retire the Deathwing after the end of the mission, let him make his own Character.
>Flesh Tearer with a Thunder Hammer
>Why?
>Because he has the model already built.
>It gets worse.
>Fucker makes awful fucking puns and tries to act like Deadpool.
>Only RPs a Flesh Tearer when in combat.
>Doesn't understand shit about how to RP a Space Marine really
>Everyone's uncomfortable.
>I finally pull the GM and players aside individually and ask them if they want to get rid of the faggot.
>We all agree.
>Faggot purged.
Never let anyone under the age of 17 into your groups anons, they Can't RP worth a shit.
>>
>>51992115
>>Am I that guy if I quit now?
I would not set aside time out of my day for this game.

That said, flaking the day before is a crappy move and, assuming the cancelling of the first session was 100% reasonable (which is possible but doubtful), the red flags haven't hit critical level in my opinion.

You're not That Guy if you quit, just a bit of a flake.
If you have nothing else to do and would rather sit on your ass than bother, then you're a crappy flake.
But if you have something remotely better to do instead, I would express your concerns to the GM and drop.
As long as you communicate directly, the GM might include you if he gets a better game when this one tanks.
If you just silently drop, that is what your story will be..
>>
>>51991027
Not to mention sheep are prey animals. Training them to run into battle is pretty much not a thing to begin with
>>
>>51990591
>Let TG try his plan
>Bring up sheep stats
>Have him roll to get sheep to charge enemy
>Have sheep roll willsave to not flee from enemy
>Watch TG rage as his flock of sheep run away from enemy and leave him to die
Alternatively...
>Have enemies with Cleave and AOO attack charging sheep and turn TG's own plan against him.
>>
>>51991151
Why is suicide still illegal in Megacity? You would think self-regulating population control would be a boon.
>>
>>51992221
Most younger players I've played with have been family of other players that are currently in the group. They usually get brought in because of a school break and their relative thinks it's something they can get into. I've noticed a tendency for poor RPing, excessive metagaming, edginess when not requires, throwing up when not required, and always trying to castrate the enemy. Can't say I'm a fan.
>>
Honestly good RP comes from practice, character death, & finally realising the game isnt like a video game. It takes a while to learn this.

Kids are bad at everything because they havent had any experience yet, you have to take the time to mold them
>>
>>51990706
Both bait.
>>51990714
Still bait.
>>51990720
Dont bother dude.
>>51992767
I think it's more amusing that Dredd figures a good means of suicide prevention is "come down or I'll kill you," like "weeeeell if it's suicide by cop I guess it's ok."
>>
>that guy that plays a power-hungry character in a mostly fluff-based game
>>
>>51993220
>Kids are bad at everything because they havent had any experience yet

said the 22 year old
>>
File: Act_I_Item_-_Crossbow.png (83KB, 250x386px) Image search: [Google]
Act_I_Item_-_Crossbow.png
83KB, 250x386px
>>51990591
>Playing Descent 2ed
>shop time
>a weak crossbow is purchasable
>healer asks to the party if he can buy it
>"healer-anon, you always use your actions to buff and heal us, that crossbow would be a waste of money"
>healer begins to sperg out because he wants the crossbow
>party decide to close the shop
>healer complaints and blames the team in every single scenario for not picking the crossbow
Fast forward
>final boss
>as dm, I decide to punish him
>RNJesus blesses me with good cards & dice
>oneshot
>heroes lose the final chapter
>the whole campaign was won by me
After 1 year, he still blames. At this point I think he's just ironic, but I'm not sure at all.
>>
>>51994739
The second half of your story is told poorly.
It is unclear what was "decision to punish" and what was random chance.
It is also unclear how you are not the bad guy.
It is also unclear what "he still blames", you, the party, or the lack of crossbow.
>>
>>51994739
You sound like a that DM
>>
>>51990906
>an AoO can't be swapped between targets; the AoO resolves against the provoker.

I think he was killing the sheep, and then using Cleave to attack enemies.
>>
>>51990720
So you allow peasant railguns at your group?
>>
>>51990683
t. Butthurt munchkin
>>
We're a newish group, playing online on roll20. You know, a group of friends. GM has played a few short aborted campaigns (Like, two or three sessions each, never really learned the rules properly) but has decided to go for it, since she has two friends who've played a lot of D&D. Me, and another player who we will call, say, Ass.

GM and Ass work out an agreement where he'll be a kind of hands-off 'assistant', helping GM learn the rules, adjudicate things, that kind of thing (Hence the name). Ass talks the GM into letting him make a customized homebrew character (An undead necromancer, if you're curious- some kind of arcane/divine mixture), with incredibly overpowered magical items. Don't worry, he *promised* not to use them.

So we begin playing. Running around dungeons finding children that the drow have kidnapped, killing drow to get the kids back, and Ass is mostly summoning undead. Armies of undead with vastly more HD than he should be capable of controlling. But don't worry, his class lets him do that- it can only cast the necromancy school, after all, so it's totally balanced. He kindly doesn't mention that half the spells he's using are third-party and the spells don't even do what he's saying they're doing.
>Caster supremacy, amirite

Anyway, after he tortures and rapes the drow priestess, we get the kids back and leave. The GM is disappointed that her encounters are so easy, and asks me for help. I throw together a combat-focused cleric boss for the next anti-drow dungeon, complete with 'how to cast spell' and links to the spells in the SRD for her.

When it gets to the fight, he can tell that there's something different about the way she's playing the new boss. Not hard to figure out I helped her with the encounter, so he has a ragefit and breaks his high-levelled staff to send everyone into the astral plane.

We ended up rolling back, and she forced him to make a new character. He pulled more shit with his new character, and she finally kicked him.
>>
>>51994739

So your THAT DM
>>
>>51995460
Throughout the entire 'reboot' arc of the campaign, Ass's new character- some unholy hell of a splat-filled dwarven samurai... thing, has been crushing everything again. This time as a martial. that's not because he has a custom homebrew class this time, no. This time it's because his dwarven backstory gives him 'attuned metal', that he had crafted into armor and weapons. And it levels up with him. Of course, once he hits level 5, that means his axes are +5, right?

Skipping out a bunch of more torture and rape, after which I finally get the rest of the group to agree not to allow that bullshit (since nobody else wanted to speak up), and the GM's encounters being useless paper, the GM wisely begins focusing more on story than encounters, since encounters are just 'wait two rounds for the samurai to kill them'. I try not to get sucked into his bullshit, but I'm trying to make sure that the newer players actually know the rules, and this guy's fucking it up. We end up having a shitty kind of 'cold war' over the game, with him making crap up and me quoting the rulebook.

Eventually, the GM asks some more experienced players and GMs about his equipment. I don't know what this guy has, because apparently he threatened to ruin her game if she told me what he had. Specifically me. She calls Ass out on his bullshit- his tools are too powerful. Somehow everything turns out where we're going on a quest to retrieve more 'attuned metal', so that everybody gets 'attuned items' and it'll be fair. You know, Monty Haul style balancing. We finish the quest, watch Ass defeat a Balor (Though it was pretty weakened from what it should've been), and start trekking toward the dwarven city to smelt the metal and get our items.

Eventually, GM asks me to ask /tg/ about things.
>>http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/50907688/
This thread is had, she kicks him out, happily ever after.

The attuned items ended up pretty cool.
>>
>>51992767
>littering the ground with our disgusting corpse
>forcing the city to foot the cost of closing a street or apartment whilst they get rid of you
>exposing the public to possible pathogens reducing their ability to work
>>
>>51995181
>>51995505
Descent is officially DM vs the party, it's a fucking boardgame.
>>
>>51995505
>>51995181

That's literally the entire point of Descent.
>>
>>51995429
t.narrativist
>>
>>51995799
t.numbers autist
>>
File: 1487279194820.jpg (12KB, 471x480px) Image search: [Google]
1487279194820.jpg
12KB, 471x480px
>>51995181
>>51995505
>giving opinions on unknown games
>>
>>51995530
This player sounds terrible, I'm glad they were kicked. I'm kind of upset that such behavior was permitted to go on for so long, but it was handled eventually.

How is your GM now?
>>
>>51993284
>t.underage
>>
the worst two "that guy" players I've had were both at my local game shop.
One was a kid, C, who was ridiculous obsessed with making overpowered characters, and adding weapons and powers that would unbalance it to the pre-made characters. (We were coming in late at the second half of a campaign so we were playing charcters other people had made). C was also legit convinced he could planeswalk IRL and had some other issues.
The other one was a guy who came in for one session and made a super edgy evil character, who was implied to enjoy murder, sex and torture. (This was all in a public shop where anyone (including quite small kids) could walk in and hear him). He ended up threatening the DM and getting kicked out.
>>
>>51995920
t.mentaly fragile snowflake
>>
>>51990591
>>That way, when they get into combat, his sheep start running around him, and he claims AOO on them, which combined with Combat Reflexes and Cleave, he uses to get extra attacks on monsters

I go through the exagerratedly visible motions of throwing my campaign notes in the garbage, then throw a series of contextless encounters at the party.
>>
>>51996551
t. Chivalrous White Knight
>>
>>51993282
>Power hungry character is so hungry he rips part of the scenery up and begins chewing on it only to find that its 99% air
>Power hungry character starts freaking out because he's realizing he's somehow wound up in the plane of fluffy baloon creatures
>Power hungry creature has his story end in a padded cell with a straight jacket
>>
>>51990591
Ah yes, a variant of the classic Bag of Rats Attack.
>>
>DM: You guys need to make a saving throw.
>That guy throws a haymaker at the DM instead
>>
>>51996551
They're doing a lot better, now. I had to take a bit of a vacation for a few weeks, so I left the party, and now that I'm back it seems like she and the rest of the players have figured things out.
>>
>>51990591
Guy's character art was a crudely drawn stick figure with an erection that was longer and thicker than the "man" was tall.
>>
File: download.jpg (5KB, 192x263px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5KB, 192x263px
>>51999417
t. heodore Fucking Roosevelt
>>
>>51992889
This is almost exactly what I've dealt with when I've had siblings of other players join my games in the past.

>Old high school RPG group is home from college for the summer one year so we decide to get the gang back together
>One player asks if his brother can join in
>I've met his brother and he seems like a pretty normal dude so I figure why not
>Playing CoC Dark Ages, PCs are norse settlers trying to get a settlement up and running in Iceland when strange deaths/disappearances start happening
>Pretty even distribution of craftsmen, religious types, farmers and hunters in party
>Brother decides to make an exclusively combat oriented Viking, no attempt at backstory or characterization beyond being a guy who fights things
>Explain that CoC isn't really a big combat game and there is a good chance his character won't be able to do much for most of the session and if he doesn't give his character anything besides combat skills he might get bored
>He disregards my advice entirely. I guess it won't be a huge deal, makes sense for a search party to have a bodyguard and as long as he's paying attention and not fucking up the investigation who cares
>He's on his phone any time I'm not speaking directly to him, isn't following along at all, I'm wondering why he's even here
>PCs are trying to get some information out of the town elders, they're being kind of dodgy
>Brother chimes in for the first time "So they aren't telling us anything?"
>"I mean, you definitely get the feeling they're not giving you the whole story, maybe you can get more information out of them if you try-"
>"I'm attacking them."
>"Seriously? They're the closest thing this place has to a government and they seem to know more than they're telling you."
>"Yeah, I want to kill them."
>I don't want to flat out tell him no since this is literally the only thing he's done all game and try to get the other PCs to attempt to calm him down, hoping they'll roleplay it out
Cont.
>>
>>52005561
>He's intent on killing the elders, saying he hasn't gotten to do anything for the whole game and that he's bored
>They players argue about it for a few minutes, half in character, half not before they just look at me and shrug
>I figure I'll run the combat with one battle hardened viking against a bunch of old men in robes, I throw a few guards into the mix to hopefully drag it out long enough to figure out how to salvage the game once it's over or one of the old guys will get a lucky shot in and kill him
>He slaughters them pretty quickly
>"I start cutting off their hands and making a necklace"
>Fucks sake
>A bunch of townsfolk have gathered around at this point to check out what's going on and everybody pretty much unanimously votes to exile this guy, reasoning that he's behind the murders since he's sitting here collecting fucking hands
>Brother gets exiled to the woods where he ends up getting killed by the Shub Niggurath cult that was really behind everything
>We end up salvaging the game after the rest of the PCs really talk things out with the now incredibly leery townsfolk
>Brother says he had a great time and wants to play again sometime

Confused the hell out of me how he wanted to keep playing with us after that. We brought him back in for a few games sort of begrudgingly but I always made sure I had something like Everyone is John ready where I wouldn't mind him acting like a psycho.
>>
>>51990591
So let me get this straight. A man makes a Sheep-based Death Star, and you told him NO?
Cool story, bro.
>>
So...
>>52005681
>>
I DM'd a 3.0 game for a group of five where two of the players were husband and wife. They both rolled twins built entirely for tumbling and acrobatics. Lowest stat con, highest stat dex, that kind of thing. The rest of the party was balanced with a dwarf fighter, an elf wizard, and a halfling druid, so I figured "Eh, maybe it'll be fun".

I could not have been more wrong. Their entire character build was base around backstabs and tumbling past people. When I informed them of what an attack of opportunity was, they accused me of making shit up and being a kill joy. To try to help them out, I'd use enemies that I could argue wouldn't get an AoP like a Gelatinous Cube, but since you can't backstab that they'd still bitch and moan the entire time. There was no combat satisfactory enough for their refined fucking taste.

To make it all worse, they didn't even RP. all they did was let the actual party do all the talking while they literally danced around in the background, both in and out of character. Finally I just said "Fuck it, goblin army". These dumb-asses actually tried to take them head-on, despite the party's persistent warning that it was a bad idea and they were setting a trap instead, and got into a knife fight with 100 goblins at once. When they asked me if I'd like to do an online RP with them sometime, well, you can guess my answer.

I said yes because I'm a sad sack of neckbeard shit
>>
>>51992221
>under the age of 17
anyone under the age of 24 is usually annoying to be around, in any situation. this is assuming you're not of the same age as them and even then the odds are against you.
>>
>>51995369
Which works, in 3.5.

I've also seen it done with a bag of rats and whirlwind attack.
>>
>>51992767

If it's not illegal, then the police cannot intervene. It being illegal gives them sanction to do so and potentially save someone's life.
>>
>>51992361

>Not training a border collie to herd the sheep into certain death

Border collies are practically fearless should be able to dodge anything. 30 seconds of youtube search didn't turn up a good video of one dodging angry cows but this video at least shows the energy level
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEURzUc5cW8
>>
>>51990591
He was in the right. You're using a false edition that relies upon false rules such as "AOO"s. You couldn't handle that he proved your edition/rules were false. If you'd used True AD&Dâ„¢ in the first place this would have been impossible.
>>
>>51990591
That's pretty much why Pathfinder and DnD suck. You wouldn't even arrive in such a situation with Runequest.
>>
>>52008751
You here too, True D&D Guy? I thought you were just on /osr/.
>>
>>52006637
The whirlwind attack one actually doesn't work.

> When you use the full attack action, you can give up your regular attacks and instead make one melee attack at your full base attack bonus against each opponent within reach.

>When you use the Whirlwind Attack feat, you also forfeit any bonus or extra attacks granted by other feats, spells, or abilities.

There's a reason that last line is in there.
>>
>>52004921
t.libertarian
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.