[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/cp2020/ - Cyberpunk / Cyberpunk 2020 General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 13

Who's still playing this? Or other Cyberpunk systems/games? I feel like I barely ever see it discussed here.

It was my first ever game at 14 years old, still my favourite game I've played. I'm hopefully going to be running a game soon, just gotta refamiliarise myself with the rules.
>>
Looking for ideas for Cyberpunk Privite Security forces, but like, in the style of sellsword companies, say from ASoIaF.

So far I have -
Lake of Fire
The Hanged, Drawn and Quartered
(The) Black Bulls
>>
File: ! raul rivera project aokee.jpg (69KB, 960x548px) Image search: [Google]
! raul rivera project aokee.jpg
69KB, 960x548px
>>51989412
I still play it. Modded it heavily and made my own homebrew too. It's a pretty good old-school medium-crunch system that just needs a few updates.
>>
>>51990115
what've you done to it in particular? I know a lot of people fiddle with the rules for armor.
>>
>>51989412
Tfw in 3 years we are getting to 2020
>>
>>51990206
Too much to list, it's a big overhaul. Here's the PDF.
>>
>>51990365
Incomplete though...still lots missing.
>>
Yo I need some tips for my setting.

Setting it in the UK, largely Liverpool. Fuck the UK Sourcebook it's convoluted as shit.

I basically want like, dark future feudalism, so having the populous embracing kings and queens, lords and dukes again. I want the government to be in control, to have executed the royal family (I'm open to the idea of say, some of them surviving and joining different factions), and for rebel groups claiming governance to be cropping up all over the UK. These grassroots baronies would operate covertly to combat the government, but the government has the superior technology and has the official army on board, so sort of a Vietnam-ish guerilla warfare vs organised military situation. I want there to be government border patrols between British counties and for the main, covert, way of getting between counties without proper authorisation is to use the canal system.

at the same time, I want the cities to be your typical 2020 setting, combat zones, gang warfare and so on.

anyone got any ideas on how I can make some or all of this happen logically? what events would lead to this kind of setting?
>>
>>51992157
Government suspended human rights and rule of law due to riots caused by [your setting specific issue]. Neo-[whatever] control Commons through fraudulent elections, help from Corps. Royal family and House of Lords opposed this and was wiped out. Now families are claiming the Lord's seats and the right of legitimate governance.
>>
>>51992157
Ok. Made a little brainstorm about your idea, which I don't find that less convulsed than Rough Guide to the UK:

>UK in the future
>Government is in charge, but the economic is very bad, crime is high, poverty is rampant, social unrest...
>Large riots and protests erupts in all major cities - stores are looted, cops are attacked, widespread arson, gangs attack unarmed citizens...
>Government instores martial law (curfew, censorship, military justice...). The army steps in with Challenger 2 tanks, Warrior IFVs and WAH-64 gunships to calm the situation.
>Poor areas become war zones. The army walls them off. Checkpoints at every entry point. Drones observe them 24/7.
>Vicious fighting in housing projects.
>The royal family and a good part of the nobility opposes it but can do nothing about it (not enough political power).
>Population loves royalty and nobility as they become the face of freedom.
>Government kills the royal family for reasons (why would they do something silly like that? maybe it wasn't the government after all but an outside power) and purges the rest of the nobility.
>Rebel groups start forming (who are they, why would they ban together and risk their life). Some nobles join the resistance others flee in exile.
>Guerrilla warfare between rebels and government + army (how can the guerrilla be even a thing without support from ex-army units?).
>Acts of terrorism becomes more and more common as the guerrilla is more and more desperate.
>What is the role of the corporations? Who are they supporting and why?
>>
>>51989412
Congrats for taking up Cyberpunk 2020 again. It's a great game.

Indeed most GM out there have modded it to some extent, to make it fit their personal gaming style. That's one of the great advantages of Cyberpunk 2020, it's easy to modify, and being not very balanced, it literally begs for it.

Armor and damage is a thing. For real, the system isn't as broken as one might think. I had done a simple conversion using real world data and converted it to Cyberpunk 2020. Level 4 armor plates would equal to SP 64 (full protection up to .30-06M2 AP). Level 3 plates would be around SP 30 (full protection up to 7.62x39 and 5.56x45 FMJ with soft lead core). Level 3a would be around SP 24 (stops completely any pistol round). Level 2 would be like SP 14 (stops pistol caliber rounds but large caliber might still leave nasty damage). Level 2a would be like SP 10 (stops pistol caliber rounds with exceptions of powerful Magnum loads).

Instead of tweaking armor, just make hard armor less common and less socially acceptable. MetalGear should only be available to elite military and corporate SWAT units. You cannot enter your favorite nightclub wearing a helmet and a doorgunner's vest. Chicks make fun of you when you go dinning with flak pants, etc.

Soft armor can be slightly tweaked (Skinweave is designed to protect from fragments not heavy pistols, armored clothing are too loose to stop impact from bullets...).
>>
>>51993813
>>51993206
I really like these, thanks lads

>Guerrilla warfare between rebels and government + army (how can the guerrilla be even a thing without support from ex-army units?).
see >>51989831 - I was thinking, obviously there are a lot of people who have been in the army but aren't anymore, plus you have people defecting from the government (I was thinking that a lot of the Scots Guard would accompany members of the royal family if they escape) plus you have a lot of policemen, not all of whom were bad people, and would hold their defense of the people more highly than their actual job positions. So we get lots of combat trained civilians joining rebel groups, private security forces who either support corps or these 'new lords', and militia
>>
>>51994142
>Level 4 armor plates would equal to SP 64 (full protection up to .30-06M2 AP).

Sounds good, but it should then half every time you took a round, just like in real life.
>>
>>51995533
Exactly!
>>
>>51995566
Also, modern plates cover only a part of the torso, back and sides.
>>
File: cyber-whorse.jpg (142KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
cyber-whorse.jpg
142KB, 600x450px
Show me some cyberbeasts
>>
>>51995566
>>51995577
Do you know if IRL modern armor can be repaired, or does it have to be completely replaced with a new set?
>>
>>51989412
>refamiliarise myself with the rules.
You're going to have to massively adjust the setting too, the world's changed quite a lot since the 1980s.

Unless you want to play it retro.
>>
>>51997096
>Unless you want to play it retro
that's the fucking point dude, it's not about it being a realistic cyberpunk setting, it's the look, the attitude, the chunky cell phones, the mohawks, the dataterms and the synth soundtrack. What makes 2020 so fun for me is exactly that, it's an alternate universe, it's camp and it's neon and it's overdramatic.
>>
Cyberbamp
>>
File: cybercity.jpg (29KB, 520x376px) Image search: [Google]
cybercity.jpg
29KB, 520x376px
>>51998412
Quo Vadis?
>>
File: Cyberpunk RPGs collage2.jpg (1MB, 993x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Cyberpunk RPGs collage2.jpg
1MB, 993x1039px
>>51989412
>Or other Cyberpunk systems/games?

We have bunches.
>>
File: 1412448684095.jpg (199KB, 1200x1139px) Image search: [Google]
1412448684095.jpg
199KB, 1200x1139px
>>51997374
Neo-80s can be cool too.
>>
File: image.png (1001KB, 900x814px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1001KB, 900x814px
>>
File: image.jpg (89KB, 393x398px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89KB, 393x398px
>>51997374
If it's your thing, go for it.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1440726146549.jpg (145KB, 1137x640px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1440726146549.jpg
145KB, 1137x640px
Favorite cyberpunk class?
>>
>>51990365
>That backstory
Hello Anon I see you don't know anything about geopolitics
>>
>>52001988
Rockerboy or bust
>>
File: leah jaye.jpg (41KB, 400x602px) Image search: [Google]
leah jaye.jpg
41KB, 400x602px
Never played an RPG in my life. Is technoir any good for a total noob?
>>
File: image.jpg (129KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
129KB, 800x600px
>>52001988
Solo of course
>>
File: image.jpg (79KB, 464x750px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79KB, 464x750px
>>52005906
IMO classic light to medium crunch RPG are best for noobs as they are less abstracted.

During the 1990s we used games like Call of Cthulhu (BRP), Stormbringer (BRP) or Cyberpunk 2020 as initiation games for new players. Those games have relatively simple systems, no tons of charts to learn by heart, no endless lists of character's advantages and defects, or tons of class/race books. What characters can and cannot do is pretty clear.

Now, narrative games are the opposite, there are very few rules hold to. Which takes away some form of "security". In my opinion, they are more suited to people who are used playing RPGs, because they know and are used to role playing. New players might find themselves lost.
>>
>>51990365
Syria is occupied by Turkish and Iranian troops. How did the Iranians arrive? Did they make a tunnel under Iraq?

The EU accepts Switzerland in its club. Implying Switzerland wants to join that brokeass and tyranical club.

Iran is the first Islamic nuclear power. Then, what is Pakistan?
>>
>>51994178
Most police become rebels after the government cuts get rid of them in favour of unscrupulous private security companies. The monarchy are murdered when they plan to strip the ruling parties power since they technically are supposed to approve of whoever gets voted in or whatever. The government is in bed with corporations and only interacts with approved corporate media outlets spouting propaganda. The BBC was sold off but there are still a few rogue reporters who want to expose the government fraud, and foreign investors bankrolling and bribing the government, via the net.
>>
>>52010133
The Scottish free state exists afyer having broken away. Mutineers on some nuclear subs has made Scotland a nuclear power, preventing England from invading Scotland but there is a lot of tension and support for Scotland in the north. Maybe Carlisle has been been by Scots again or is part of a demilitarised zone ruled by NeoBorder Reivers?
>>
>>52010227
The north is pretty lawless due to the demilitarised zone but the further south you go the tighter the government grip. Checkpoints at train stations. Portsmouth has become a massive, overcrowded island prison city with one tightly controlled bridge out of the city and gunboats patrolling the harbour. The prisoners work in factories, practically slaves, in order to keep the price of British made products down. Brighton appears to be really liberal and free still with gay rights marches and things but it's really a way for the government to keep it contained, full of undercover police and if you sign a petition your name will go on a watch list.

Private debt collection agencies are tasked with finding self employed and small businesses and getting them to pay up. They act more like the mafia, squeezing businesses for protection money. They turn a blind eye to drug dealers or other criminal enterprises as long as they pay their tax, and if they don't the corporate tax men send in a hit squad.
>>
>>52010133
The problem with having private security is that you have to discard the state's monopoly of violence - a thing a dictatorship would never do. Then comes also the monopoly of justice. This one too has to be shared as you contract private investigators.
>>
>>52010507
Private debt collectors exist already now (see Vice report).
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.