[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does one play a lawful neutral paladin without a deity, I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 1443126928210.jpg (513KB, 750x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1443126928210.jpg
513KB, 750x1050px
How does one play a lawful neutral paladin without a deity, I know a good example of one would be Judge Dredd, but I need tips, ideas, and anything that could help me in this time of need would be greatly appreciated!
>>
>>51988601
http://easydamus.com/lawfulneutral.html
>>
>>51988601
Judge Dredd is Lawful Evil.
>>
>>51988677
Dredd is True Lawful
>>
>>51988677
Who would you consider Lawful Neutral?
>>
>>51988654
>http://easydamus.com/lawfulneutral.html

The table about views really pissed me off
>>
>>51988735
Javert, Solomon, Lynch.
>>
File: 1432132.png (39KB, 371x368px) Image search: [Google]
1432132.png
39KB, 371x368px
>>51988739
I mean look at it, that's almost insulting.
>>
>>51988677
Nice try, creep. You and your dubs are going to the cubes.
>>
>>51988677
>Lawful Evil
Not OP, but evil would imply an aspect of selfishness to his actions in my mind, but doesn't he do what he does because of his utter belief in the law being the best situation for the people of the Mega-city and it being the best judge of the people, no matter their rank? He's seen the world and in his mind, devoted adherence to the law is the only means to prevent further breakdown in the system. That's a case of Lawful Neutral in my mind, even if the application at times is Lawful Evil (the laws are fucked at times).

Though I'd love to hear your reasons for him being Lawful Evil since maybe I'm missing something fundamental about his characters. Not exactly a big follower of Dredd, but he still seems a LN from what I've seen.
>>
>>51988601
You're a knight. You have your code that you follow, and you streamline that so far as possible with local laws. If things doesn't fit into your right or wrong boxes, you cuff every involved party and take them to your lord, superior, whatver you have to get a ruling.
>>
>>51988843
Lawful Neutral characters typically abide by the laws of whatever land they're in, they rarely enforce them.
>>
>>51988677
How is he evil? It seems like he would be lawful good.

Unless it's an arbitrarily lame "He kills so he's evil" thing.
>>
>>51988926
>They rarely enforce them
Is it their job to do so? If not, then they don't have to enforce them and be Lawful Neutral; however, they can still report law breakers to the proper authorities.

If it's their job to do so, then they're a Lawful Neutral enforcer of the law, unless you want to argue that jobs necessarily good or evil which is a stupid position to take in most situations (outside of government positions that by design abuse the people for no benefit to anyone but the state/the one in the position, liches, etc).

Dredd is a judge because he believes in the law, seeing it as above repute and without flaw. He enforces it because living by it is the best means to live in the world as it is.
>>
>>51989025
I wouldn't say he's Lawful Good, since he's not merciful in times and he's really more of a 'the law is right regardless of circumstances' than a 'the law should serve the people'. To Dredd, the law is supreme.
>>
>>51988601
i think sam vimes also works, from discworld.

other than that, a soldier that believes kings, or even his superiors, has some sort of divine mandate could work
>>
>>51988677
>>51988843
>>51989025
>>51989078

Dredd is Lawful Neutral in an overall Lawful Evil (at best) world. He rigidly enforces the law, to a degree that the average 21st century human being would consider insane, but he legitimately thinks the law is the best option for the people (IIRC even claiming democracy is a failed system), actually cares about other people, and never really abuses his Judge powers (compare this to the Dark Judges, who used their authority to commit every atrocity they could think of even back when they were mortal).

Case in point his standing with mutants. He relentlessly hunts them down when in Meg 1 because they're breaking the law, but goes out of his way to help them in the Cursed Earth and when mutants are allowed into the city doesn't care. His moral system basically boils down to...

Is said action allowed within the law
No - Enforce the law
Yes - Go by personal opinion

For Dredd, law and order are more important concepts than good and evil. Therefore, Lawful Neutral.
>>
>>51989309
For a significant portion of the strip's ongoing plot, Dredd has also worked to make the Justice system less brutally tyrannical from the inside. He's nowhere near LG, but he wouldn't qualify as LE either.
>>
>>51988601
You don't. Paladin's are Lawful Good. Anything else is just a guy with some magic and a sword. Even if they were, a paladin isn't defined by their deity.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.