[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you tell a proper story when everyone is engaged in a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: fucking garbage.jpg (60KB, 272x292px) Image search: [Google]
fucking garbage.jpg
60KB, 272x292px
How do you tell a proper story when everyone is engaged in a tug of war to tell the story they want to tell?

Getting rid of the game master seems like the biggest and most disgusting change you can do to the structure of a tabletop RPG.
>>
>>51984662
This shit never works. Freeform was a mistake.
>>
>>51984662
You talk to everyone first so they're not tug-of-war?

>hey the point of this game isn't to tell just your own story its to engage with each other and facilitate collaborative story-telling
>oh cool
>????
>storygame
>>
>>51984662
sounds like you're playing with a buncha assholes

when we swap DMing in a story, it's generally at the end of an arc. one person's bit is done, or they're just tired of DMing
>>
>>51984662
>How do you tell a proper story when everyone is engaged in a tug of war to tell the story they want to tell?

This is why adversarial GMing is terrible. But it's also a pointless and out of date relic of a bygone age.

The GM works with the group to create an enjoyable experience.

Can GMless games, or games which spread out GMing responsibility be enjoyable? Sure. But they're not replacements for the classic experience of playing with a GM, just different variants you can explore and see if you enjoy.
>>
>>51984662
>How do you tell a proper story when everyone is engaged in a tug of war to tell the story they want to tell?
You don't. You start off by establishing common parameters, precisely so that different ideas can build on each other and a common thread instead of devolving into a tug of war.
If you expect something based primarily on communication to work without communication, you're just plain stupid.
>>
I play with better friends than op.
>>
>>51984662
You need mutual respect and some formal regulations for it to possibly work. I'm not a fan of gmless games but they mostly work out if there are no egomaniacal 8 year olds or wannabe writers in your group.
>>
I gotta say I'm interested in seeing how a GM-less system works. My group's only three people counting myself and there are two of us who are always the GM and in nearly twenty years of playing have only both been playing in the same game as players for like a total of five or six sessions.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.