[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cursed Items and You

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0002.png (46KB, 662x459px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0002.png
46KB, 662x459px
I've been tooling around a character concept for a bit and was hoping to get some feedback. I've been wanting to play as a magus with an intelligent weapon, but more accurately as the sword itself. Think Anubis from stardust crusaders, but more of a slowly consuming parasite instead of TOUCH IM CONTROLLING YOU NOW LOL
I'm also trying to think of problems that will spring up from this and if I risk being that guy; e.g. We're meeting the king and have to turn in our weapons, and I can't readily do that without my host flopping over dead if I can't get back to him in time.
Also, general cursed items and traps thread?? Mundane or magical
>>
>>51983753
Another problem I was thinking might arise is if my current host dies but the party survives the encounter, it would make sense for them to take my stuff without them knowing about me being the sword, and then I might accidentally enthrall/ steal another players character, which would
A- be a dick move
B- possibly blow my cover
C- result in me being disenchanted from magical scrap
I guess also build advice? We'll probably play pathfinder so feat suggestions and the like would be appreciated. I was thinking about taking diehard/endurance to fit the theme of not really feeling/ caring about my host's body too much
>>
>>51983753
You've got a fun concept, and I dig it. I hope that you have/will have approval from your DM for it, since changing your host body will let you just grab whatever array of physical stats that you want, which is also a much more powerful version of the Druid's Reincarnation spell.

You also have to consider the fact that like you said, you're a parasite that slowly overpowers the host's will, and they'll die without you. This character/sword sounds Evil to me. Either retool that part with your DM, or just be evil, consider wielders as pawns, and embrace the edginess.

Finally: how well liked are you in your group? If you've been friends for some time, and have played together without you having caused drama, that will give you more leeway. I'd also recommend telling the players that you're a sword. The other characters don't have to know, but it's helpful if the other players aren't going to just accidentally ruin your character by selling you off or reflexively destroying a blade that prompts Will saves on use.
>>
File: swordswallowing3.jpg (187KB, 450x508px) Image search: [Google]
swordswallowing3.jpg
187KB, 450x508px
>>51983753
>and I can't readily do that without my host flopping over dead if I can't get back to him in time.
>>
>>51983843
>Another problem I was thinking might arise is if my current host dies but the party survives the encounter,
Bring several hirelings. Explicitly will your shit to one of them.
>>
>>51984294
Then he can't speak and must concentrate on doing the sword swallowing thing right or he injures the host.
>>
>>51983753
As a Dm i'd let you run it based on how cool it is and then work my way around into how i can make it not be the most broken thing possible:
- You can only use 50% or 70% of the strengths/abilities of the body you choose as a thral. So if you get a wizard lv5 i'd only allow you use to use lv3 spells... to start with...
- The more you use the body the more accustomed you get to it and the more of its abilities you can use, maybe ending up with more than your thrall started with
- Add a distance and time factor to it. You can spend 1 hour and 30ft away from your thrall no problem, the longer/farther you are the less control of it you have (as in more complex abilities unavailable, small to medium to big stat decrease, etc.).
But ultimately, and this is definitely a personal feeling on the matter: I would let you deal with the problems that may arise.
As in i'd make the World/Adventure/Campaign as it was before, and simply have it react logically to you "fucking up" your gimmick for example:
- You're allowed into the castle, you're asked to leave your weapons, you couldn't weasel your way out of it and now you're on the clock.
The longer the meeting takes the less power you can exert over the thrall, and lets assume for now that the bond breaks and your thrall dies on the spot: The guards assume you passed out or were poison and start conductin an investigation on how did you died, no suspicion of your team mates because why would they, yada yada.
Or maybe they figure out your thing and either take you away and try to sell you off if the king is gready, let you go happily no question ask cuz you've been pals to the king and have done good shit for him, etc. the wizard of the castle kidnaps you to experiment with you and our mates have to rescue you, etc. just spit ballin' here.

As to the other players i've had bad experiences with "evil" characters playing the undercover game so i would just tell them all outside of character what the deal is (cont.)
>>
>>51984473
Or maybe just tell your best friend in the group, or the best RPer in the group and have his character also know the deal.
This affords you a lot of leeway in how to deal with whatever situation you come up with:
- If your body dies your pal can carry you (the weapon) for a while until you come across a new host (at the expense of having your involvement in the story severely diminished),
- If your pal is play a warlock he can pass your character as a very advanced thrall of his, if he is a blacksmith or whatever he can make the excuse of him taking care of you (the weapon), etc.

I think it is a great concept and fun to work with for both the DM and the players if you're quick on your feet to think of ways to take advantage of this concept and avoid complications, and this is more easily accomplished if the players (or at least 1 PC) is already knows the deal and can you help out in a jiffy.
Go for it OP my dick is already diamonds thinking about it.
>>
>Somehow make the spyglass radiate magic
>Mundane trap mechanism

Seems silly
>>
Thanks for the tips everybody! I appreciate the feedback. As for telling the group, I've know them since freshman year college so it's been a while and they'd be fine with it, I'm just concerned because one of the guys we plays with relentlessly meta-games. He's a good rp-er and can make a strong character outta bad stats, but he always has trouble keeping ooc knowledge and ic knowledge separate.
As for the hosts physical stats, I was thinking that'd I'd start out as someone with a weak will, like a teenaged human but I DEFINITELY like the idea of only being able to tap into he host's will the longer I'm in control, so I'm running with that.
>>
>>51984648
I assume it's for the paranoid players who will not touch something until they've used every kind of detect magic possible on it, or maybe low-magic settings?
>>
File: Kishin_eating_his_weapon.jpg (86KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Kishin_eating_his_weapon.jpg
86KB, 1280x720px
>>51983753
Have it be a smaller weapon, and swallow it.

Or just say your sword is soul jaring. Anything to minimize the amount of begging your GM for rules exceptions.
>>
>>51984648
To lure you into thinking its for remote-viewing or something
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.