[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think about Campaign Cartographer? Is it good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 9

File: Campaign Cartographer.png (667KB, 700x499px) Image search: [Google]
Campaign Cartographer.png
667KB, 700x499px
What do you think about Campaign Cartographer? Is it good?
>>
Bump for interest. I've been thinking of buying it for a while now, but I'm actually pretty good with PS and drawing maps in general, so I don't know if it's worth the price. Is it easier? Is it an upgrade?
>>
>>51984073
If you're good with PS, I don't think this should even be asked. You can do anything with PS, but not with CC.
>>
>>51984120
Alright, but it takes years to properly master PS, and it takes hours to make a satisfying map. This program is sold as "easy", so I'm assuming you can have acceptable results in a very short time. If this is true, I'd be more than interested in investing a few bucks into it. If it's all bullshit, and it's just downloadable improved inkarnate, I won't bother.
>>
>>51983473
I might be wrong, but this is ancient software.
>>
File: map.png (2MB, 938x938px) Image search: [Google]
map.png
2MB, 938x938px
>>51984183
>hours to make a satisfying map
Unless you are drawing all of the assets - i.e. props, just fucking around with layers will get you decent results.
>>
>>51983473
Pretty good but it require quite some time to learn everything it's capable of. I spent the entire day to draw a single map. If you're a complete newb in drawing softwares and is looking for something quick and easy to use I recommend Inkarnate.
>>
>>51983473
Personally?

Too much effort to figure out the software/rather unintuitive.

And where I already know Photoshop and can get equally good results in that, it's generally my go-to choice.
>>
>>51984259
this. Im by no means a photoshop expert, but about an hour or so with it and I was able to make a basic continent with different biomes and it looks decent
>>
I'd like some software that helps you manage the story elements of a campaign, with easy importing into roll20.

I'd pay money for that.
>>
What's a good way to go about creating encounter maps and dungeon maps? I can handle world maps and shit fine but I have no idea how I should go about drawing up the gritty.
>>
>>51984689
Any chance you could share what you have right now? Would be easier to have input.
>>
>>51984694
I ain't got shit for dungeon maps. I normally DM locally so I've made campaign maps before in Photoshop to share with my group and just did encounters by drawing on a laminated grid. I might have a chance to DM for a group online soon though, and I have no idea how to go about encounter maps here.
>>
>>51984753
You have roll20 account?
>>
>>51984689
For dungeon maps on a grid, you can get away with Gimp or photoshop, and 30 minutes of fooling around with layers.

Set up two layers, one layer for the floor, and a layer on top of that for the walls. Choose a floor texture, and fill the appropriate layer. Same for walls. Then erase the part of the wall texture that you want to be passable terrain.

You can then go in and add details if you want, but that's just ribbons.
>>
>>51984689
http://donjon.bin.sh/4e/dungeon/index.cgi
Your home for random and not-so-random dungeons. Save an image and just either use a texture on it to make it look good or fuck about with it in Photoshop.
>>
File: $25 a sheet.jpg (23KB, 570x380px) Image search: [Google]
$25 a sheet.jpg
23KB, 570x380px
>>51983473
>Not hand crafting your campaign maps on real vellum
Pleb

I think I might actually do this after some though. It might not look as nice, and might have inconsistencies. But whenever the players complain about map inaccuracies and distances not lining up with the map, I can tell them the cartographer was mapping places he never heard of.

Fug. Sort of want to do a bunch of these as city-maps with plot hooks. And maybe pages from a bestiary.
>>
>>51983473
It's good for cheesy maps that don't need to have practical use.
It's horrible when the map has to be functional
>>
You can just use Dwarf Fortress, then Isoworld.
As the players move to different area's, load up different parts.

They'll never know.
>>
Unrelated, does anyone have any good roll20 top down yuan-ti tokens? Portraits in a circle aren't really my thing and if they were I can make them.
>>
File: yuantiwitch.png (95KB, 400x397px) Image search: [Google]
yuantiwitch.png
95KB, 400x397px
>>51985430
>>
>>51984689
Looks like this will work fuckin' gloriously.
>https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlegrounds/mapforge-battlemap-creation-software-for-tabletop
>>
File: salamander.png (146KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
salamander.png
146KB, 400x400px
>>51985489
This could pass.
>>
>>51984689
I use Tiled.
http://www.mapeditor.org/
You just need tiles and tokens to do some nice work in it.
>>
>>51985380
I've used dwarf fortress world's and made my own maps of them before, but had never heard of isoworld. Does it still work with the newest dwarf fortress?
>>
>>51985489
>>51985506
Thanks, these are good starting places.
>>
File: sahaguin.png (79KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
sahaguin.png
79KB, 400x400px
>>51985790
Maybe?
>>
File: ss+(2017-03-02+at+10.08.23).jpg (1MB, 1891x1013px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-03-02+at+10.08.23).jpg
1MB, 1891x1013px
>>51985519
>Tiled.
Mah nigga.

>>51985776
It probably should. Just export Biome, not site map, Elevation, elevation+water, and Structure map.
If you use a version with DFhack, you can link to it actively.

Gives you something like this, except with roads and the like.
>>
>>51984183
If you want quick and easy, Hexographer is really the only safe bet. Campaign Cartographer is decent, but it's a little... Expensive for what it does.
>>
>>51985430
On that note, does anyone have a good source for a whole bunch of roll20 tiles? The built in options are not the best
>>
>>51991668
>>51991668
Try PDF share thread.
>>
File: JIxaBgG.jpg (719KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
JIxaBgG.jpg
719KB, 1024x768px
>>51983473
Its decent though its difficult to learn to use.

If you just want to slap together a map quick and easy for your players I suggest using inkarnate (http://inkarnate.com).

If you want to take your time and make something nice practice using PS and get good with it.
>>
Autorealm is super quick and easy for making (admittedly ugly) maps. It's also free.
>>
>>51983473
Donjon.bin.sh has a world map generator.
>>
>>51985430
This set has several yuan-ti tokens.

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/set/1114/darkwoulfes-token-pack-vol24-beast-of-the-bogs
>>
>>51993512
AutoREALM is a great first step before moving your map into Photoshop/GIMP. I use it to draw terrain.

It's a shame it's so buggy and unstable.
>>
>>51989124
Hexographer's free version annoys the shit out of me. I just want to do one bastard map, I don't want to pay for a full license. If I had a way to try it fully like once, I might ACTUALLY buy this piece of shit.

In fact, anyone got a serial or cracked pro version so I can try it out?
>>
File: comparison.png (3MB, 2681x825px) Image search: [Google]
comparison.png
3MB, 2681x825px
>>51984183
>This program is sold as "easy"
As someone who has used both Photoshop and CC3, it's easier to get good results with PS.

Just go to the Cartographers' Guild and follow a tutorial.

100% better results than following any CC3 tutorial you might find.

I speak from experience.

CC3 is unintuitive as hell, and some things just don't seem to ever work right.

I want to learn it. I want to learn it so bad. But it just doesn't work right, ever.

Pic related: Left is CC3, right is from an ancient version of Photoshop, following a tutorial. PS took like a quarter of the time to make. The CC3 map is a zoom-in of a portion of the PS map.
>>
>>51993657
Wow, how can CC look THIS bad? Did you spend only like5 minutes? I could do better with context free...
>>
>>51993701
>Did you spend only like5 minutes?

No. I followed the video tutorial on their website, though with my map instead of theirs.

As I said, I probably spent more time on CC3 than I did on the Photoshop map, if you ignore all the prep work (I did a lot of work mapping out wind patterns and climate zones and fault lines/plates before making the map so I could get the biomes and mountains and islands right).

Since the CC3 map is a zoom-in, the prep-work probably counts for both anyway.
>>
>>51985502
I just backed it after seeing your link, it's what I've been looking for for awhile now. Thanks for sharing.
>>
Anybody know of any good sci-fi focused mapping softwares?

If anyone has a link to Cosmographer thatd also be spiffing
>>
>>51983473
It's good for fancy maps, but absolutely horrible when you want to grind them or do something similar.
>>
>>51993644
bump for same question
>>
>>51993644
>Hexographer's free version annoys the shit out of me. I just want to do one bastard map, I don't want to pay for a full license. If I had a way to try it fully like once, I might ACTUALLY buy this piece of shit.
What, you like, NEED to resize the map? Desperately?

I use free Hexographer and I can honestly say I've never come up against a limitation of it. If it didn't let you save maps or some shit, I'd understand you, but, what the fuck?
>>
>>51996596
>I use free Hexographer and I can honestly say I've never come up against a limitation of it. If it didn't let you save maps or some shit, I'd understand you, but, what the fuck?
This fucking reply happens every time someone asks for Hexographer on /tg/ since 2009. Just keep your complaints to yourself and post it if you have it.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.