[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

EDH/Commander general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 385
Thread images: 49

File: gCpiL4v.png (116KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
gCpiL4v.png
116KB, 223x311px
REPRINTS edition

Old thread: >>51967990

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
http://www.mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
http://www.tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
http://www.edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
http://manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
http://gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
http://magiccards.info/

>Thread topic
What are your thoughts on WotC going nuts with the MM17 reprints?
>>
File: flash.jpg (31KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
flash.jpg
31KB, 223x310px
>>51981032
1st for nice looking cards
>>
File: 1488247038862.jpg (500KB, 601x1122px) Image search: [Google]
1488247038862.jpg
500KB, 601x1122px
>What are your thoughts on WotC going nuts with the MM17 reprints?
Overjoyed to see some of my favorite cards return to the field.
I don't really buy cards anymore but I appreciate the thought.
>>
File: commandersv2.png (5MB, 4066x1974px) Image search: [Google]
commandersv2.png
5MB, 4066x1974px
>>51981032
(Guy with three tribal decks over here)
YES!

Also post 'em.
>>
So what's the strongest single color in edh?
>>
>>51981032

As someone who owns several copies of many of those 'big ticket' reprints:

Fucking good. I'm glad my group will have access to those cards.
>>
File: 13.jpg (55KB, 336x469px) Image search: [Google]
13.jpg
55KB, 336x469px
Following this >>51981048, I'm investigating what could work and what the fuck is this
>>
>>51981081
Depends. I would say that Black is the strongest if you were making a mono-color deck, green is the best in 4-5 color decks, white is the best support color in decks where it is the secondary color, and blue is just generally good.

Red kind of sucks, but not as bad as white in monocolor.
>>
>>51981081
Very close toss-up between blue and green
>>
>>51981081
probably blue if we assume infinite budget

if we don't assume infinite budget then green or black
>>
>>51981081
Brown
>>
>>51981081
As in, strongest as a mono-color deck? Probably green.

Strongest as a support color? I'd say green or white.
>>
>>51981032
It almost feels like there have been more Commander reprints than there have been Modern reprints at the moment
>>
>>51981065
I'm extremely excited, and I plan to buy a box. It seems almost too good to be true. It's almost like Wizards realized no one cracks packs anymore and tried to bring a little fun back. It seems like a half-decent limited environment as well, without neutering the set for "muh limited playability". Hopefully this is the start of something good to save some other formats, I'd love to be able to get into legacy.
>>
What are some good stax cards for Shattergang Brothers? Besides the usuals like Grave Pact/Dictate of Erebos, Price of Glory, Stranglehold, etc. Should I just stick in the normal artifact stax like Torpor Orb, Tanglewire, Defense Grid, and the like or stick to sac effects/land destruction? The meta at my store depends on which group happens to show up, so this deck would be more geared to higher powered decks that combo off pretty quick
>>
>>51981192
>It's almost like Wizards realized no one cracks packs anymore
People do though. Limited is the most widely-played format
>>
>>51981065
I used this card recently, it's really fucking good. The fact that you can get a free etb for 2 mana is pretty retarded, especially if you're in black and can reanimate.
>>
>>51981081
Probably black.
>>
>starting life total at 30 instead of 40

would this fix more problems than it would cause? it would definitely make red stronger and nerf infinite combo
>>
>>51981209
>Limited is the most widely-played format

jesus

i feel like that sounds more like a sign of standard and modern being shit than limited being good
>>
>>51981222
It would definitely help to make aggro viable, at the very least. Trying to play aggro in multiplayer especially is suffering. Most EDH players just want to durdle or play solitaire.
>>
>>51981209
Yes and no. Cracking packs for limited isn't the same thing as cracking packs for the sheer thrill. Sure, you get to crack a pack and pick the money card in a draft, but when's the last time you opened a pack and were excited for the contents?

Realistically, people like myself only play limited because standard/modern are so terrible and inaccessible that no one is stupid enough to play it. A standard deck SHOULD be $50-$150, a modern deck should be around $500, but that's not the case, so people just crack packs.
>>
>>51981231
Also low price of entry. A draft is, what $10-15 for the required amount of packs? As opposed to quite a bit more for the good decks in Standard/Modern
>>
>>51981222
It would make Oloro a lot stronger.
>>
If you could add one card as well as remove one card from the ban list, what do you pick?

>Add
Leovold

>Remove
Balancing Act
>>
>>51981309
>Add
Paradox Engine

>Remove
Grislebrand
But really, we should remove Braids.
>>
I have a (unedited) breya deck and a couple of cards i would like to add to it.
Just looking for basically kitchen table magic.

Please let me know what i should take out to put in these cards, or which of these aren't worth at all trying to make it work.

Tezzeret the schemer
Tezzeret, master of metal
mechanized production
pia's revolution
madcap experiment
spell queller
orbs of warding
tezzerets touch
foundry inspector
treasure keeper.
havoc festival
eager construct
sensei's divining top.
lost legacy
fatal push
aethersphere harvester
padeem consul of innovation
battle at the bridge
merchant's dockhand.

I want to build breya, but i'm not sure which direction i want to go exactly, not going to spend thousands on it either.
As long as i add the paradox engine and tezzeret's at the very least i will be more than happy.
>>
>>51981256
that's what i was getting at. most MTG veterans are kinda screwed up in the head and really see no problem with paying 300 dollars for a standard deck that actually loses a good portion of its value over time, even though that's actually a ludicrous price point for a sane person. if the average MTG player thinks people who don't want to pay 300 dollars for a soon-worthless stack of cards are poorfags, then i can't imagine anyone at wotc feels any different.

i feel like the main reason why commander is so popular is because there's no real arms race that you have to keep up with your wallet, you can just play whatever fun cards you want and your group adjusts their power level accordingly. funny how wotc tried to ruin that by releasing blatant power creep commanders in 2013 but at least now they're wisening up a bit
>>
>>51981222
That's a terrible idea.

All EDH's problems can be solved with the following phrase "build casually, play competitively."
>>
>>51981289
the 30 life change would also rightfully errata 2013 commanders as unhinged tier joke cards

>>51981329
even if you build casually, you'll quickly notice that a lot of red strengths (ie good face smashing ability and early game stuff) is nullified by the 40 life thing. it's not a competitiveness issue, it's a "colors are imbalanced" issue
>>
>>51981222
>>51981353
I'd prefer for WotC to give red more toys for the late game myself.
>>
>>51981309

>Add
Atraxa, not because of how powerful she is, but because I'm just so fucking tired of seeing her. There's like 10 guys with an Atraxa deck at my FLGS.

>Remove
Recurring Nightmare, sure the card itself can't really be interacted with which is pretty feelbad, but I feel there's so much degenerate graveyard shenanigans not banned in this format and so much powerful hate for it, that banning Nightmare feels just weirdly arbitrary.
>>
File: balancing act.jpg (58KB, 700x471px) Image search: [Google]
balancing act.jpg
58KB, 700x471px
>>51981309
have I got news for you
>>
>>51981327
>all these standard cards
Look anon, I get that it's probably all you have, but a better idea is to playtest your deck, remove things you don't like, then add things you think would fill the gaps a little better. We can literally tell you the process of edh card evaluation, but the sad part is, a lot of what you listed isn't what most people would put in Breya. Just pick whatever you think is cool, try it out, and if it sucks, take it out.

We can recommend you cards that do certain things, but to just build your deck for you denies the process of learning deck building, and will leave you in a way worse place.

>>51981353
Who cares? I literally just built my first monored deck, as an experienced EDH player, and I'm having a blast playing it. EDH isn't about going to a store and playing for prizes, it's about playing with your buds, drinking a few beers, and having a couple of laughs. Issues only start with EDHrec and netdecking turbo-spikes shitting up their FLGS, or retards playing on xmage or whatever with a $3000 monstrosity they would never run in real life.
>>
>>51981391
The problem is specifically that it can't be interacted with. It's basically a Sorcery that costs 2B, sac a dude, with Buyback of 0.
>>
>>51981394
again, to reiterate, it's not a competitiveness issue, it's a "BURN DOES NOT WORK" issue. that's a whole archetype that is not viable because people start with double the life. i threw the "30 life or not?" question out because i wanted to hear arguments against it, so please come up with a real one and not just "lmao its just a game xD"
>>
>>51981212
Flash plus protean hulk was one of the most broken combos ever.
>>
>>51981394
>with a $3000 monstrosity they would never run in real life
I do have a physical "all foil unless it's on the Reserve List" Karador deck that I only get out when some tryhard tries to shit up the EDH tables at the LGS (most of the cards I admittedly got before the prices on the secondary market fucking exploded around M10 times). I haven't had to pull it out in quite a while, which makes me consider pulling it apart and selling the scraps.
>>
>>51981254
Wizards caused a big part of the problem by adding mythics, but the addition of lotto cards has helped a bit. And modern still has the problem of including sets from a time when magic was way less popular, although MM17 will definitely help in this regard.
>>
>>51981385
I think it's hard to do that without doing it through artifacts. Red suffers from poor card advantage options, and lackluster removal (damage-based for creatures, and no enchantment-removal.) It's good for explosive plays, but making it capable of going late is difficult.

One avenue they could pursue is more artifact and sorcery recursion effects.
>>
File: 1481245031587.jpg (81KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
1481245031587.jpg
81KB, 500x334px
>>51981422
Oh, you're just an argumentative faggot looking to vent on the internet. Let's reiterate, you're proposing a major rule change to the format, strictly to make burn better, citing "BURN DOES NOT WORK" as your major argument. This is fundamentally flawed. Burn does work. Hidestugu is a wins games and X cost spells oneshot players, or even tables.

By the same logic, mill isn't effective in EDH, should we make decks 75 cards or ban all the automatic graveyard replacement effects to fix it? No, of course not. You should only build a mill deck if you're a bit of a masochist, and the same applies to a burn deck.

Now, politely, fuck off. If you want to act like a dick, that's fine, but it's not becoming.
>>
>>51981561
i'm acting like a dick yet you're the one calling me an "argumentative faggot" for calling you out on your non-argument

you're just memeing at this point so please stop replying to me from this point forward
>>
>>51981467
I also have a comp deck (teferi stax) that I almost never play, but it was a blast absolutely wrecking a few guys who were destroying casuals with proxied up near comp tier decks. Best part was that they thought I was playing the precon and were trash talking non stop before the game started.
>>
>>51981467
That's pretty cool anon. Leave it together, it's now a piece of history. To break it apart is to deny what it is, a labor of love and passion.
>>
File: 1483205291289.png (833KB, 1080x1433px) Image search: [Google]
1483205291289.png
833KB, 1080x1433px
>>51981606
Alright Captain Crybaby, whatever you say. You do realize that insults are generally appropriated vernacular and is used to show camaraderie, particularly in insular communities, right?
>>
>>51981639
says the guy who's saying i'm acting like a dick

become real my friend
>>
File: 194.jpg (68KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
194.jpg
68KB, 312x445px
If you could build an EDH deck around any one creature that SHOULD be legendary but isn't, who would you choose?
>inb4 the Nephilim
>inb4 Tamanoa
>>
>>51981653
I'm more a friend than you'll ever know, because I'm providing you with honest constructive feedback. Now you better fucking invite me to your next birthday party.
>>
>>51981666
>>inb4 the Nephilim
>>inb4 Tamanoa
Nice trips but hey the Nephilim and Tamanoa should be legendaries. Also that one cycle from FRF and Evershrike.
>>
>>51981394
yeah, it's all I got
Basically what happened is I tried to play standard for a year when dragons and origins was the new sets, always came in last (couldn't afford 500$ decks, still can't).
Got tired of losing, lost my shit, sold what i had for pennies on the dollar weeks later.
Stopped playing for 7-8 months.

Will never play standard or modern again
now I am just an edh timmy.
Probably just going to buy each of the commander pre-cons now (not the original now expensive ones) and try to make shitty upgrades of them.

Plus one of the store clerks is a total dickwad.
>>
>>51981666

Chromanticore
>>
>>51981328
Yeah I'm glad I got out of Standard almost as soon as I started
>>
>>51981666
Well Satan, my first pick was Tamanoa, but with that gone it wold probably be either Stoic Angel, Ankle Shanker, Femeref Enchantress or Madrush Cyclops.
>>
How would house-ruling non-creature permanents to be commanders work? Obviously you don't have access to every colour combination that way but I feel some stuff works very well as a "commander". Maybe you could ignore colour identitiy altogether? Some other system?
>>
>>51981720
>Probably just going to buy each of the commander pre-cons now (not the original now expensive ones) and try to make shitty upgrades of them.
That sounds like a fine plan anon. I can even recommend you something fun to build on a budget if you don't mind spending a month or so hunting down specific cards.
>>
>>51981768
>Femeref Enchantress
What's your plan there?
>>
>>51981666
I've got this:

>Archfiend of Depravity turbo-stax
Oh god this just makes my dick hard. Ramp into that fuck, cast some bullshit, then bing bang boom everyone hates you. Alternatively, Inkwell Leviathan's a pretty cool guy.
>>
>>51981770
>Lol I have Urborg as my commander :^)
Fuck off and start your own format.
>>
>>51981474
Adding mythics wasn't a problem, though. If you compare relative rarity, any given mythic is roughly the same 'rarity' as Rares in big sets used to be, whereas normal rares are more obtainable.
>>
>>51981309
I don't think Balancing Act was ever banned.
>>
>>51981841
Rude :(
>>
>>51981770
>how would house-ruling [...] work?
anon...
>>
>>51981666
Still

Moon

Cavalier
>>
>>51981666
DRS.
>>
File: 113.jpg (60KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
113.jpg
60KB, 312x445px
>>51981666
>>
>>51981841
Cool, so you have a colorless deck.
>>
>>51981328
"command zone matters" was a mistake. It's beyond stupid that R&D decided it was a good idea to make most of the commanders stronger the more times you cast them, or provide constant value for doing fucking nothing
>>
File: 56.jpg (76KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
56.jpg
76KB, 312x445px
>>51981666
>>
File: 47.jpg (62KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
47.jpg
62KB, 312x445px
>>51981899
Superior Nightscape creature comin' through!
>>
>>51981874
That fucker is having a ball chumping Atraxa all day in my Zombie enchantments deck
>>
>>51981666
Blood Tyrant
Blood Baron of Vizkopa
>>
>>51981920
I have no issue with them scaling (somewhat) with how many times you've cast them, because it stops you from just getting COMPLETELY stonewalled after they die twice.

The concept there was fine, they just flubbed the power level in my opinion
>>
>>51981774
What do you have in mind and how hard will it be to get them? i'll try to do my best to get them?

I'm going to continue to hunt down the 2013-14-15 and 17 decks as i can afford them. I assume this deck you are talking about will use bits and pieces of them?
>>
>>51981783
CAST ALL THE ENCHANTMENTS
....Then sacrifice them to Auratog I guess.
>>
>>51981969
Well, let me shift gears a bit.

What do you think is fun and what do you want to do?
>>
File: 1488414825307.jpg (11KB, 332x335px) Image search: [Google]
1488414825307.jpg
11KB, 332x335px
>>51981032

All hype but nothing to show, they do this with all the spoiled cards, I'm expecting to see extractor demon as the most common cracked rare

>>51981309
Ban daggson I guess? I'm fine with most other things

Unban Balance
>>
>>51981976
If only Enchanted Evening was in the same colors you could play Allay.dek
>>
>>51982006
>extractor demon
Spicy secret tech in Ghave if you want to randomly mill people to death.
>>
File: 87.jpg (69KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
87.jpg
69KB, 312x445px
>want to play a card
>trying to find a fun Commander in that card's color/s
>start building a deck around the Commander
>have to cut the card you wanted play initially by the end
What's her name?
>>
File: 1KGbtDM.png (74KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
1KGbtDM.png
74KB, 223x311px
>>51982006
>Unban Balance
>>
>>51982061
Let me guess, you built zombie tribal but realized that kind of deck is about selfmilling and recurring creatures and a really expensive token maker isn't really worth it?
>>
>>51982006
This set is a fuckbillion times better than MM15 though
>>
>>51982061
Every fucking deck ever.
>>
File: grave.jpg (31KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
grave.jpg
31KB, 223x310px
>>51982061
>>
>>51982024
You misunderstand me. The price of the packs will far outweigh extractor demon's price, every masters set shovels shit cards in that never seen play in their respective formats.

>>51982063
Yes yes balance ruins some decks but tragic arrogance/cataclysm gearhulk are fair right?

>>51982088
Then go pay the $240+ for a box and bitch when your only good pull is blood moon. Unless your buying singles then good on you I guess
>>
>>51982082
If I ever built Zombie Tribal, that card would stay in it regardless of being a 'good' choice. It used to be in my Ghave deck back when it was generic Junk Tokens, and I miss casting it.

and my stupid gimmicky token setup for it
>>
>>51982129
Tragic Arrogance doesn't cost 2.
>>
>>51982082
Actually set out to build a mono-B control deck, but picked Gonti as my Commander because "so much value!" and in the end ended up building around Gonti and ETB effects. So yeah, Army of the Damned made no sense at all in that deck.
>>
File: Shaman of the Great Hunt.png (133KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Shaman of the Great Hunt.png
133KB, 223x311px
>>51981666
>>51981715
>Also that one cycle from FRF
>>
>>51982162
Yet it does more damage than balance

>but balance doesnt hit artifacts!

Outside of a few janky black cards like gateway to phyrexia multicolors, everyone can deal with artifacts
>>
>>51981774
not sure really.

I enjoyed the ezuri deck a bit, enjoying the saiska and yidris decks right now.

atraxa is super expensive to build, but i wouldn't mind it if i could afford it.

only time i ever won fnm was playing mono black aggro warriors.
>>
>>51981768
Ankle Shanker is my cardfu
>>
>>51982217
You're missing the point. Balance is banned because it's an insanely powerful effect for 2 mana. Like most 'symmetrical' effects, it's usually very asymmetrical in favor of the person casting it, and it can completely destroy games for 2 mana.

Tragic Arrogance does not do that.
>>
>>51982244
Balance would only be cast at critical moments where it was needed. If you can't deal with losing lands that's your own damn fault
>>
>>51981231
I'll never understand people who think limited is bad
>>
>>51982266
>losing lands
And creatures. And hand.
>>
>>51982266
Right.

And it costs.

Fucking.

Two.

That enables you to do a lot more alongside it than if it cost 5.

But hey, it's only limited to 1 in Vintage and outright banned in Legacy, but you clearly know more about a card's power levels than the people who make the fucking game.
>>
>>51982266
You realize Tragic Arrogance doesn't take lands NOR hands?

Balance is pretty much always disgustingly onesided
>>
>>51982237
Build Maelstrom. It's super duper easy, get 10 basic land fishing cards, like Harrow, Far Wanderings, Cultivate, Kodama's Reach, Sakura-Tribe Elder, Birds of Paradise, and a few rocks. Throw in whatever 7 mana blue/red/green beatsticks you have lying around, and bask in your RNG-based wins. It's honestly super fun and next to impossible to fuck up.
>>
>>51981666
Reassembling skeleton
>>
>>51982297
>Deathcloud

Wew

>>51982300
Not once did I say that, I pointed out that balance is a fair card, my ranting won't do anything to change the banlist

>>51982301
So if it didn't take your hand you would be completely fine with it? Does windfall upset you?
>>
>>51982340
Balance is a bullshit card and you know it.

Tell me anon, what fair and balanced way would you use it and in what deck?
>>
>>51982340
>Death Cloud is similar to Balance
Balance is two mana. Cloud is probably 5BBB to take out hands and lands like Balance does.
>>
>>51982372
Like anyone would properly use it

Breya

>>51982388
And you can easily generate the mana for deathcloud
>>
>>51982321
something like this then?
1 Aetherflux Reservoir
1 Ancient Excavation
1 Anger
1 Army of the Damned
1 Ash Barrens
1 Blood Mist
1 Brainstorm
1 Bring to Light
1 Burgeoning
1 Chaos Warp
1 Chromatic Lantern
1 Command Tower
1 Commander's Sphere
1 Consuming Aberration
1 Crumbling Necropolis
1 Curtains' Call
1 Dark Petition
1 Dark Ritual
1 Decimate
1 Devastation Tide
1 Dig Through Time
1 Diluvian Primordial
1 Disdainful Stroke
1 Dismal Backwater
1 Dragon Mage
1 Evacuation
1 Evolving Wilds
1 Exotic Orchard
1 Far Wanderings
1 Farseek
1 Fellwar Stone
5 Forest
1 Frantic Search
1 Frontier Bivouac
1 Glint-Eye Nephilim
1 Grapeshot
1 Guiltfeeder
1 In Garruk's Wake
5 Island
1 Jungle Hollow
1 Kydele, Chosen of Kruphix
1 Mana Geyser
1 Mind's Desire
5 Mountain
1 Nath of the Gilt-Leaf
1 Notion Thief
1 Opulent Palace
1 Past in Flames
1 Ponder
1 Preordain
1 Rakdos Carnarium
1 Rakdos Charm
1 Rakdos Signet
1 Rampant Growth
1 Reliquary Tower
1 Rugged Highlands
1 Runehorn Hellkite
1 Sakura-Tribe Elder
1 Sangromancer
1 Savage Lands
1 Seeds of Renewal
1 Sepulchral Primordial
1 Shadowblood Ridge
1 Simic Growth Chamber
1 Simic Signet
1 Snuff Out
1 Sol Ring
5 Swamp
1 Swan Song
1 Swiftwater Cliffs
1 Temporal Fissure
1 Temur Ascendancy
1 Tendrils of Agony
1 Terramorphic Expanse
1 Thornwood Falls
1 Treasure Cruise
1 Volcanic Vision
1 Waste Not
1 Wheel of Fate
1 Whispering Madness
1 Whispersilk Cloak
1 Windfall
1 Wonder
1 Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder

found the list @ https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-commander-20-entropic-uprising-upgrade
say its a 20$ upgrade. seems like it fits what you were talking about.

honestly i could see my self playing yidris alot.
>>
>>51982449
Fuck (You)
>>
>>51982449
Woah woah woah, if you're going to post a whole decklist, just post the link in tappedout so we can take a peak at it in a more readable fashion. If you just google a deck, I mean it will be okay I guess, but it's better to just look up certain cards you want to add to things.

Anyways, Ydris' problem isn't the deck itself, it's the manabase. It's next to impossible to build a functional, consistent 4c manabase. 3 colours is just about the limit before you 100% need fetches and various expensive lands. I recommended Maelstrom Wanderer in particular because any deck with green in it is good at ramping, and mana fixing, while also being one of the easier decks to build yourself.
>>
>>51982340
Balance is not a fair card in any fucking universe.
>>
>>51982414
Paying 8 fucking mana is a lot different than paying 2 mana. You're a retard.
>>
>>51982414
>you can easily generate the mana for Death Cloud
Okay so you're a troll, got it
>>
>>51982524
how is it not fair? it literally just puts everyone on a level playing field :^)
>>
>>51982061
Epic experiment
>>
Here's hoping they reprint Bolt at common in MM17
>>
>>51982556
>>51979984
>>
File: 1488301606183.jpg (21KB, 480x405px) Image search: [Google]
1488301606183.jpg
21KB, 480x405px
>>51982530
>>51982538
>get proven wrong
>y-you're just a troll, fuck you

Holy fuck maybe I should just pop in here occasionally and purposefully bait your stupid ass
>>
>>51982585
You didn't "prove me wrong", you're literally spouting inane bullshit.
>>
>>51982597
>you're literally spouting inane bullshit.
Yes, he is. Stop replying, he was already mad enough when I called him a dick earlier in the thread and had to change his tactics.
>>
File: Brutal Suppression_PY.jpg (53KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
Brutal Suppression_PY.jpg
53KB, 312x445px
Post normally useless permanent cards in RWU

I want to make a zedruu "garbage peddler" deck, one that doesn't necessarily fuck opponents, but gives them useless garbage
>>
>>51982575
Preorder values are always through the roof
>>
>>51982514
http://tappedout.net/mtg-deckpaste/02-03-17-ozy-yidris/

Here, i made it into a tapped out list as per your request.
>>
>>51982585
>get proven wrong
Somehow paying at least 4 times more mana for same effect is whatever tier.
We have for 2 mana a Wrath of god, Armageddon and One with Nothing for everyone stapled into same card and somehow the 2 mana isn't an issue with it. Literally kys yourself.
>>
>>51981925
>superior
>didnt post nightscape familiar
pssh, whatever fag.
>>
>>51982597
>>51982615
Why does it seem like your the buttblasted one then? I'll come back later and school your ass again
>>
>>51982672
Familiar would be useless as Commander, though.
>>
Been thinking about gettinf a box of mm17 but I can't get it for below 200€ atm my lgs even charges 235€.
I read everywhere the supply is supposed to be huge
Are any of you planning on getting some and whats your price point?
>>
File: 1486454495452.png (35KB, 558x148px) Image search: [Google]
1486454495452.png
35KB, 558x148px
>>51982673
I suggest you screencap it and save it in a folder for later anon.
>>
>>51982685
If you're going to far into house rules it might as well be grixis, we let somebofy play a 5 colored emerakul deck because he needed it for the eldrazi.
>>
>>51982633
Isochron Scepter imprinted with Mudhole, Moonlace, or whatever other shit spell you like the art on.

Can I ask why you're building a Poopsmith deck?
>>
>>51982691
Yet you keep replying. I'm starting to think balancefag, for all his faults, is smarter than you
>>
>>51982642
I was just directing you to the appropriate thread. MM17 has almost nothing relevant to Commander so far.
>>
Is there an easy way to determine whether Swiftfoot/Lightning Boots are worth it in your deck? I'm playing a deck with a 3 cmc commander (kambal) and I have the both boots in. However, it seems like no one I play thinks it's worth removing him even when he doesn't have the boots on, but I'm not sure if I should still keep the boots in. They can also sometimes protect stuff like my Divinity of Pride and Felidar Sovereign though.

Thoughts?
>>
>>51982643
>http://tappedout.net/mtg-deckpaste/02-03-17-ozy-yidris/
meh/10.

That landbase sucks, you're going to have a bad time anon. Quadcolour is almost impossible to build on a budget, and even tricolour is ambitious, you should really pick a 2c deck if you want to build something fun.
>>
>>51982721
>implying Bolt isn't wildly underrated
>>
>>51982863
If you find your Commander (or other super important dudes) eating a lot of removal, they're worth it.

If nobody's bothering to kill your shit, I'd trim it down to just Greaves.
>>
>>51982863
Wholly depends on your deck works. If you just need him alive and don't plan to interact with him I would say greaves, if you plan to interact with him boots are "better"
>>
File: 276.jpg (46KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
276.jpg
46KB, 312x445px
>>51982633
>>
File: 1478742141127.jpg (19KB, 400x388px) Image search: [Google]
1478742141127.jpg
19KB, 400x388px
>built a yahenni deck that's supposed to kill lots of creatures and make a big yahenni
>has very light reanimation themes because monoblack duh
>end up abusing the slight reanimation themes to win every time, ie. overdrawing to discard, then mass reanimating, even though that isn't the point of the deck
>simply do it because it just feels like the most efficient way to win
>never even cast yahenni unless i need a sac outlet

i just wanted to do a non-reanimator monoblack
>>
>>51982721
>Lil, Zur, Blood Moon, Damnation, Linvala, Snapcaster, Abrupt Decay, Cavern of Souls, Terminate, Flickerwisp, Deadeye, Stony Silence, Terminus, etc.
All great cards in Edh
>>
>>51982721
>What are Liliana, Snapcaster, Damnation, Cavern of Souls, Deadeye Navigator, Terminus, 10 Signets
>>
File: 2014-great-wall.jpg (140KB, 464x664px) Image search: [Google]
2014-great-wall.jpg
140KB, 464x664px
>>51982633
Behold the most useless card in the game, with the power of doing essentially nothing.
(Plainswalk is the least relevant -walk ability and is found on less than 10 cards in the whole of MtG)
>>
Who's a good commander for norin shennaningans? I feel like building something fun.
>>
>>51982633
All of the leeches.
>>
>>51983116
You forgot to mention that of those 10 cards, one is Great Wall, one is a Legend that lets you ignore Plainswalk (and does not itself have Plainswalk), one is Magical Hack, one is a silver-bordered card, and one is Whim of Volrath.

There are exactly 4 creatures in the game that have Plainswalk, and one enchantment that grants it to white creatures.
>>
>>51982997
Sounds like someone should have built Erebos
>>
>>51982721
Bitch I've got 11 "must buy" cards already from that set, and that's only for 2 EDH decks
>>
>>51983171
>>51982633
Alright dig this. Give your opponent a leech, then keep Whim of Volrath in hand. If you gave them a leech which doesn't match any of their colours, or god forbid they're in mono-colour, you can use Whim to change the leech's effect to add, say, [G] to all of their blue spells. If you're lucky and in the right position, you can make their spells uncastable for 3 mana each turn.
>>
>>51983119
Pimp Daddy Purph
>>
>>51983203
i've been goldfishing a big black spellslinger erebos list a bit but i'm not sure it fits my style. like yeah, it ramps up like crazy and casts big spells but it would have a lot of overlap with my kambal lifedrain deck that i don't know about it
>>
>>51983119
Norin himself?
If you just want shenanigans, Norin is quite a chaos commander.

He doesn't share colors with the de facto ETB commanders, Roon or Brago, so he kinda has to deal if you actually want to win. Any sort of Boros humans/ETB deck would work out, so you can get value out of Mentor of the Meek or Purphoros and such. Norin doesn't really have a great place in EDH.
>>
>>51981081
Probably black, followed closely by green. Black can do anything, provided you have enough life (you do) and green can do almost anything provided you have enough mana (you can).
>>
>>51983237
Or slap Alter Reality/Glamerdye/Mind Bend/Sleight of Mind/Spectral Shift onto a Scepter to make it last forever. Then when you're about to kill them, use Homeward Path to get your Leech back and lock someone else out.
>>
>>51983357
I love it. Leech lock meta.
>>
File: spores.jpg (35KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
spores.jpg
35KB, 223x310px
i put this into my deck as a joke but it worked much better than i though.

no one wants their shit to stay tapped for multiple turns
>>
>>51983249
How about Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet, then? He kinda does what Yahenni does and you can do a zombie token thing as well.
>>
>>51983396
fudge, if it wasn't a 0/1 this could be hilarious in Atraxa.
>>
>>51983396
Them STAX, tho.
>>
>>51982710
Because I want rwu pillow fort with lifegain wincons, but I don't want to get murdered because zedruu decks always go the steel golem route
>>
>>51983404
but then i couldn't run grave betrayal and its other "dies" effect friends. and i'd still fall down that reanimating hole because that's what monoblack does.

the problem is that i want to do 1) creature based deck in monoblack but 2) not a reanimating one

the thing that fucked me was that i wanted to make a proper reanimating deck in different colors (because monoblack reanimator was too obnoxious with the constant tutoring and the 40 mana gary reanimating loops). i put all my coolest, funnest and most expensive black creatures into that deck and then left my monoblack to do... something else. but none of the other archetypes (spellslinger, stax, tokens) really feel that good to play so i'm stuck with 2 reanimator decks except neither has the cards the other needs.

it's been a great blog thank you all for subscribing
>>
>>51983495
Give up and play monoblack reanimator then. Or give up on monoblack entirely and go play other colors.
>>
File: 53[1].jpg (66KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
53[1].jpg
66KB, 312x445px
>>51981666
>>
>>51983530
man i bought all these monoblack staples and i just want to throw them somewhere where i can use them. i'm in some sort of escalation of commitment situation where i can't bring myself to just giving up on the whole deck. i've probably spent most money on this deck overall but i only ever had fun with it when it was brand new and the "lmao lemme just recur kokusho 6 times u guys are dead" meme hadn't gotten old yet

basically i have mental illness when it comes to card games
>>
>>51983565
I like you. It really should be
>>
>>51983614
>1) creature based deck in monoblack
That's the complicated part, what the heck would you do creature-based in monoB that's not reanimator? Combos maybe? I only know Mike-Trike in your color anyway. Pity you don't liked spellslinger because Toshi seems like something up your alley.
>>
>>51981921
Just play pauper EDH
>>
>>51983645
i'd have to replace like 50% of my deck if i made toshiro. also i feel like black just doesn't have enough powerful/fun instants to make toshiro interesting to me

i'm veering towards erebos right now but even he just seems like a bit of a boring way to just end games with a 30 mana advantage on turn 6 or something. i guess that's what monoblack inevitably does when played even somewhat efficiently
>>
>>51981666
I'd love to make a turbo lifedrain deck with Duskmantle Seer as the commander
>>
File: Image.jpg (32KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
32KB, 223x310px
>>51981666
They should've fired whoever made thus a non legendary. I want my 5c angel tribal. Honorable mention: Vampire Nocturnus
>>
File: Image (2).jpg (31KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image (2).jpg
31KB, 223x310px
>>51981666
>>
>>51981666
Hellkite Igniter is one of my favorite cards ever and would be a rockin' legendary as a finisher for an artifacts deck
>>
File: 80.jpg (71KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
80.jpg
71KB, 312x445px
>>51983689
But he's terrible in pauper EDH, because most spells that work well with him are also uncommon.
>>
File: 35.jpg (54KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
35.jpg
54KB, 312x445px
>>51983424
Hi.
>>
>>51983495
How loose is "reanimator" in this case? Out of Bloodghast, Beacon of Unrest and Patriarch's Bidding, which ones count?

You could make a Drana, Liberator of Malakir deck. Find some ways to protect her, and then go wide. Or abuse it with Persist and Triskelion things.

You could also just not be a bitch, and streamline your Yahenni deck more for what you want it to do. If you don't find reanimation fun, don't put Ever After + Rune-Scarred Demon or whatever you are doing into your deck. Play recurring threats, then board wipe with an indestructible Yahenni and voltron out of nowhere. Play Forbidden Orchard for extra memes. Give it voltron possibilities with Strata Scythe and Lashwrithe. Have a low curve and lots of card draw. Go wide with Last Laugh and Grave Pact. Put in things you think are fun, and remove things you don't think are fun. It's a casual format. As long as your playgroup isn't too tryhard, you can still minmax less optimal strategies.
>>
>>51981065
This + bearer of heavens = end of turn destroy everything O_o
Then cast things with suspend cause clearly you're playing jhiora at this point
>>
>>51983939
at that point, it would be easier to run some other stax effect.

I've been really soured on aura on creatures without innate protection.
>>
>>51983972
Easier? Yes.

More fun? No.
>>
So I'm putting the Over/Under on "how many games it takes before I cut Cathars' Crusade from my Ghave deck" at 3.5

Who wants a piece of the action?
>>
>>51983991
Why? Just for the obnoxious amount of triggers you'd have to be on top of?
>>
>>51984026
Less the amount of triggers, more "having to keep twenty different Saproling tokens on the board and using two different kinds of dice to signify counters and total number of Saprolings with that many counters".

And also possibly Spore counters.
>>
File: 28.jpg (58KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
28.jpg
58KB, 312x445px
There are people in this thread RIGHT NOW that think pic related is a bad card.

How does it feel to share a board with this kind of people?
>>
How mean/likely to make someone flip the table is it to combine Emrakul the Promised End with Storm Cauldron?

>>51984122
I doubt anyone thinks it's a bad card. They think it's not a banworthy card.
>>
>>51984122
Dies to removal
>>
>>51984127
>They think it's not a banworthy card
>1 mana 6/6 flying lifelink
yeah, right.

>b-but people will hate you for playing it!
not an argument.
>>
>>51981666
Phyrexian Oblitorator
>>
>>51984140
>Dies to removal
Stop this meme.
>>
>>51984150
>Not an argument
Not an argument
>>
>>51984150
Lifegain is not as relevant in a format where you can die from taking 21 damage, even if you have a billion million life.

A 6/6 is not as relevant in a format where you start with 40 life, and access to the best removal ever printed.

The combination is not relevant, in a format where aggro is dead due to the presence of the best mass removal ever printed, and the best combo decks ever printed.
>>
>>51984172
>>Not an argument
>Not an argument
Not an argument
>>
>>51984172
..the 'increase hate towards you' is just lazy. By that logic no card should ever be played because people will focus their attacks on you.
>>
File: whisperwood.png (139KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
whisperwood.png
139KB, 223x311px
>>51981666
If it was legendary and had blue it would be the perfect morph commander. Sadly neither are true.
>>
>>51984164
>breathing
Stop this meme
>>
>>51981231
But limited is the second most fun format.
>>
>>51984185
You can literally die in any format by taking 10 infect/poison damage.

Anyway, using your commander to actually do the 21 damage is the lowest of strategies.

>A 6/6 is not as relevant in a format where you start with 40 life
and THAT'S the kind of thinking that will make the card attack 2-3 times and give an insane advantage.
>>
>>51981666
Edgewalker
>>
>>51984192
>>>Not an argument
>>Not an argument
>Not an argument
Not an argument
>>
File: mindwrack.jpg (30KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
mindwrack.jpg
30KB, 223x310px
>>51981666
You didn't even post the best Shadowmoor UR hybrid rare creature.
>>
File: 232.jpg (47KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
232.jpg
47KB, 312x445px
>>51981666
Why people play this "pretend" game?

here, pic related should be commander. I win.
>>
>>51984226
Commander Damage is actually a pretty reliable win condition, and great for control decks. It's faster than traditional aggro by a considerable margin.

What advantage does lifegain get you? There are cards that let you trade life for advantage, but since EDH life totals are already high, those are the cards you should be focusing removal on.
>>
>>51984235
>>>>Not an argument
>>>Not an argument
>>Not an argument
>Not an argument
Not an argument
>>
>>51984197
Do you actually play Commander in more than a meme setting or do you just shitpost all the time about your ignorance of the format?

>>51984122
Stop replying to this faggot. This is the umpteenth thread he's tried to shit up with this exact topic. He's an idiot. We know it. Let him be an idiot echo chamber.
>>
>>51984279
>>>>>Not an argument
>>>>Not an argument
>>>Not an argument
>>Not an argument
>Not an argument
Not an argument
>>
File: 1488362876695.gif (443KB, 400x296px) Image search: [Google]
1488362876695.gif
443KB, 400x296px
>>51983116
>Donate this
>Donate something that gives creatures plainswalk
>>
>>51984268
If you rely on commander damage, the opponent will just Not let you play your commander.

>since EDH life totals are already high, those are the cards you should be focusing removal on
the thing is, trading life can become dangerous if you don't get life back Exactly because it becomes a target. If you spend 10 life and your stuff gets destroyed, you still lost 10 life for nothing. If you have +20/30 life, that's no big deal.

Also, dealing damage with a 6/6 is a good way to punish opponents that plan to trade their life.
>>
>>51983941
bloodghast doesn't count, beacon of unrest sort of counts and patriach's bidding certainly counts because my other deck (the one with all my favorite black fatties) revolves around looting and mass reanimating

i kinda do want to just cut out all reanimation from yahenni, but it just feels fucking weird to play monoblack and throw out a gray merchant but then never recur it. but then when i do include reanimation, it just reminds me that i don't have kokusho and other reanimation husbandos in the deck and yahenni just feels like a turd

basically the last time i remember being excited about pulling out my monoblack was when i still ran kokusho as the commander and the deck just solitaired itself to a 150 life total and subsequent victory. but then my group got triggered by the hate-dodging kokusho warping between the grave and the battlefield at warp speeds and told me it's not fun to play against the deck, and being the empathetic fucking retard i am, i agreed and took the deck apart. even if i went back and remade my kokusho in all its gay glory, i would still have half a dimir reanimator deck taunting me in my big box of decks

this whole ordeal is triggering my ocd in ways i didn't know was possible
>>
>>51981921
I really wanted to make a pauper commander deck with this when I opened one in foil.

When my friends heard me mention it, they decided to make Psychatog, Invisible Stalker and Bloodbraid Elf, and I realized how absolutely shitty and boring this format would be.
>>
>>51984140
>>51984150
Is there a better 1 mana creature?
>>
>>51984350
Yeah, Deathrite Shaman.
>>
>>51984315
I don't think you understand why the trading life for value cards are good.

Necropotence is the prime example: You gain such a huge card advantage with Necropotence, that removal isn't a problem. You can just play threat after threat after threat, and eventually they run out of removal. The thing is, Serra Ascendent doesn't really help you do this, because you can already safely draw half your deck with Necropotence in a normal game of EDH.

And this is, of course, assuming that the opponent is playing black. If there isn't black in their commander's color identity, I wouldn't waste removal on Serra Ascendent at all. If there was, I would, but only if it was attacking me, because otherwise I'd rather save my vindicates for their necropotence, or the actual threats that they'll play.

Serra Ascendant is a good card, don't get me wrong. But it is never going to be banworthy. If you continue to think this, despite all evidence to the contrary, you should reconsider your deck making philosophy, because something is clearly wrong with it if you can't handle your opponent's having efficient life gain.
>>
>>51984046
Yeah that's a good point. Last time I played Ghave I almost ran through an entire mini-dice box.

I should probably take Cathar's Crusade out.
>>
>>51981070
Any chance you could post your Sharuum list? I'm trying to make one that has a similar theme right now.
>>
>>51984350
Goblin Welder
Weathered Wayfarer
Viscera Seer
Birds of Paradise

I'm sure blue has one too, and I'm sure black has a better example, but that's just off the top of my head.
>>
File: WP_AbyssalPersecutor_2560x1600.jpg (2MB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
WP_AbyssalPersecutor_2560x1600.jpg
2MB, 2560x1600px
>>51981666
>>
>>51981666
I feel like I should have an answer for this but i don't.
>>
>>51984413
Does this stop opponents from winning the game in a multiplayer game?
>>
>>51984350
Off the top of my head.

Birds of Paradise
Noble Hierarch
Goblin Welder
Isamaru
Mother of Runes
Weathered Wayfarer
Rhys, the Redeemed
Xantid Swarm

I'm sure there's plenty I'm missing.
Deathrite Shaman
>>
If they don't target you first then yes.
>>
>>51984439
Yes
>>
>>51984495
So an opponent that wins with the cheese stands alone doesn't win while this is out?
>>
>>51984481
Forgot to quote >>51984439
>>
>>51984374
If you think it's okay to take 10-20 damage early in the game because "you can spend another 10-15 life", you're just playing the whole trading life thing wrong. Objectively speaking the opponent can pay more life than you, to begin with. But anyway:

Necropotence loses a lot of it's power if you take a silence on the next turn, or cannot stay with the cards in hand. That +a huge damage means you are in danger; even if you play something threatening, if you do not addres this situation you will lose the game. Honestly, most people that play commander aren't counting with burn, but in this situation it is just as dangerous.
>>
>>51984512
Exactly
>>
>>51984439
Yes, because in multiplayer (not team based specifically) cards with "win the game" become "your opponents lose the game."
For example, someone tried using Mayeal's Aria, would not win if the demon was out.
>>
>>51984512
>>51984530
The controller of abyssal persecutor still loses I think. I just looked to the rule. Winning a multiplayer game means making everyone else lose. The only player who can lose while an abyssal persecutor is out is the controller of the abyssal persecutor.
>>
File: 1487419297026.png (578KB, 1082x560px) Image search: [Google]
1487419297026.png
578KB, 1082x560px
>Hanging tight with 6 life in a 3 player game
>sweep the board with a Planar Cleansing and pass
>opponent casts Lightning Bolt on me
>then recurs it with Past In Flames
>>
>>51984558
This is true.
>>
>>51984515
None of what you just said supports the notion of efficient life gain as banworthy. Try again.
>>
>>51984568
>Bolt in EDH
The absolute madman
>>
>>51984587
It's 1 mana damage AND lifegain, and with flying to make it even more difficult to defend. You not only gets life, you're stopping your opponent's 'trade life' strategy.
>>
>>51984568
Bolt is a fun card. Kudos to your opponent, unless he was playing some meme izzet "I swear it's unique" but it's actually just bog standard spell slinger type deck.
>>
>>51984439
Sorta.

In a multiplayer game, any "you win the game" effect is changed to "All of your opponents lose the game". So someone who fires off a 'you win the game' effect while controlling an Abyssal Persecutor would cause all of their opponents to lose... which they can't, so nothing happens.
>>
>>51984588
It's not terrible, it's still a 1 mana instant speed removal that can kill a lot of dangerous staples.
>>
>>51984615
And now you've shown that you completely misunderstood my argument.

I never said the other players were using necropotence. I said that Serra Ascendant is only truly powerful in combination with something like a necropotence, but then it's just win more.

Before replying, read this post 5 times, you may understand it then.
>>
>>51984624
Whoever is controlling the Abyssal perescutor would lose.
>>
File: 1488321264947.jpg (55KB, 600x569px) Image search: [Google]
1488321264947.jpg
55KB, 600x569px
>>51984617
It was a Queen Marchesa deck
>>
>>51983396
This card is good shit, I have it in Thelon
>>
>>51984661
I thought about putting it in Ghave, but the 1 toughness kills it for me.
>>
>>51984638
First of, Oloro wasn't banned by the French for nothing; efficient lifegain Can be a problem.

>I said that Serra Ascendant is only truly powerful in combination with something like a necropotence
You're basically saying that we shouldn't Randomly put cards in your deck, which is obvious. Yeah, if you're gaining life, you should use it somehow. It's not just necropotence; there are dozens of other cards. Even if you don't have much, the extra life is still helpful to give some more turns of life.

And guess what: Serra ascendant not only gives life, it hits hard early on. I can only think you never lost 12 life on turn 3 of commander, but that's dangerous. Consider that you're not playing against one person as well. 40 life can go away easily.
>>
Anyone reading this has a link for current MWS files and crops? ;___________;
>>
>>51984717
Aggro is actually a think in french, and they tend the meta to keep it that way. Banning Oloro was justifiable there (and Oloro is arguably better than Serra in multiplayer anyways).

The rest of your post is a pretty shitty attempt to strawman my argument into something else. I never touched on deck construction. I touched on combination. Given the choice of removing either the serra ascendant or the card they're using to trade life for resources, you should almost always remove the card that lets them trade. If Serra Ascendant is online, they have enough life to trade that them having more isn't a relevant concern. That is why Serra Ascendant will never be banworthy: because it is always win more in combination with an already powerful other card.
>>
>>51984717
>mentioning French like it's not a meme

You tipped your hand. Now go away until you actually play a real game of Commander.
>>
>>51984717
>Efficient lifegain can be a problem
No, FREE lifegain in a 2 player, aggro-heavy, 20 life format is a problem.
>>
>>51984254
That's not a creature and you'd have to play a colorless deck and you'd only get one Black Lotus for free. But since you can cast it again immediately, it's more like you get a Blacker Lotus, which is swag as all get-out, but still going to be an ineffectual commander due to having no colors. I could see some artifact interactions working out in its favor, but still, massively inferior to any artifact combo deck that has blue in its identity.
>>
>>51984762
>you should almost always remove the card that lets them trade
So you remove dozens of cards instead of just one? that's not very smart

Instead of removing the card that lets you draw comfortably while attacking your opponent, you decide to ban drawing itself.

>If Serra Ascendant is online, they have enough life to trade that them having more isn't a relevant concern
Life is just not a relevant concern IF you have ways to get it back. Again, you underestimate early game aggro. You can't just pay 10 life when you already lost another 15. If you have ascendant taht's not a issue, and if your opponent has an ascendant (or any other early good aggro), that becomes an issue.
>>
>>51984864
since we're changing rules, let's just change that as well. My deck identifies as blue.
>>
>>51984922
Not part of the postulation, your proposal is denied.
>>
>>51981328
I've never spent more than $100 on a standard deck and usually do pretty well. My secret is that I actually build a deck instead of copy pasting whatever is in top 8 at major tourneys.
>>
>>51984922
Are you assuming your deck's color?
>>
>>51984931
IDENTITYPHOBE
>>
>>51984895
You're retarded. That's becoming more and more clear with every post.

>So you remove dozens of cards instead of just one? that's not very smart
Remove the definite threat, at the time. If they have an erebos or greed out, and an online Serra Ascendant, that means they have 30 life they can trade. They can safely draw about 10 cards before getting into dangerous waters. Those 10 cards are far more dangerous than Serra Ascendant ever will be.

>Instead of removing the card that lets you draw comfortably while attacking your opponent, you decide to ban drawing itself.
The only person arguing to ban anything is you. Are you even aware of what you're saying?

>Life is just not a relevant concern IF you have ways to get it back. Again, you underestimate early game aggro. You can't just pay 10 life when you already lost another 15. If you have ascendant taht's not a issue, and if your opponent has an ascendant (or any other early good aggro), that becomes an issue.

If early game aggro is good enough to pressure someone out of the range of necropotence safety, it is also good enough to pressure someone out of the range of Serra Ascendant being online. Your argument defeats itself.
>>
>>51984962
>If early game aggro is good enough to pressure someone out of the range of necropotence safety, it is also good enough to pressure someone out of the range of Serra Ascendant being online.
except necro is a 3 drop and serra is a 1 drop that gives you more life
>>
>>51984962
>They can safely draw about 10 cards before getting into dangerous waters
first of, if they do that, Serra becomes 1/1. Second, without Serra they will lose 10, and then lose another 10 to the aggro that you're forgetting to count. WITH Serra, they can attack, defend, lifegain, and keep drawing.

Also, with Erebos and greed they will have to pay 2 life to draw 1 card which means if they draw 10 cards with 30 life, they lose 20 life. So i'll assume you're considering a player with 40 life. Either way taking a punch to the face while paying 20 life will kill you easily in a 4 player game.

>Those 10 cards are far more dangerous than Serra Ascendant ever will be
again: you're talking about banning 10+ cards instead of the one that makes them safe. And i'm not saying Serra is the ONLY good lifegain, but it is the most reliable early on, while also attacking.

>The only person arguing to ban anything is you
1. my original argument was never to ban anything, i said originally people thought the card was bad
2. if you're going to ban something, it would be the ascendant instead of breaking the game

>If early game aggro is good enough to pressure someone out of the range of necropotence safety, it is also good enough to pressure someone out of the range of Serra Ascendant being online
i'm considering early game ascendant, you do know that right? like a sol ring, it is only really good at the beginning of the game. Hell.. an early game ascendant can STOP aggro against you while a necropotence will just kill you faster.
>>
>meta is slowly becoming the Lifegain Express
HELP

Who the fuck do I build to combat this durdling menace
>>
>>51985106
Man up and build burn.
>>
>>51985106
...Commander Damage?
>>
>>51985106
Voltron. They can't stop commander damage.
>>
>>51985106
Hidetsugu. Make them shit their pants in mortal terror.
>>
>>51985106
Erebos, Skittles, Atraxa Infect Pillowfort
spicy tech: Tree, og Sorin, tainted remedy
>>
>>51985106
Fill them with the infectious glory of phyrexia.
>>
>>51985079
>1. my original argument was never to ban anything, i said originally people thought the card was bad
>2. if you're going to ban something, it would be the ascendant instead of breaking the game

Then why are you even posting? I already said it isn't a bad card, just not banworthy. Are you just trying to be contrarian? And I don't want to ban anything at all.

Yeah, I'm done responding to you. Have a poorly drawn smug anime girl.

>>51985106
Combo or commander damage. Hatred is fun. Tainted Strike can also kill players out of nowhere. (you should get the packs)
>>
File: Tainted Remedy.png (154KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
Tainted Remedy.png
154KB, 265x370px
>>51985106
Not even close to the best but I love to toss it out for safety's sake.
>>
>>51985129
And give him lifelink.

"What's half of your life total? Because that's what we're both at, now."
>>
>>51985180
My favorite is when people smugly play Rain of Gore and I keep gaining life via Lifelink.
>>
>>51985147
>Then why are you even posting
you started. Also, banworthy and 'should be banned' are two different things but that's semantics.
>>
>>51985106
Combo
>>
>>51985106
Play some sort of turbofog deck. Watch their expression as they turn from desert nomads finding a secret spring turn into sailors on a sinking ship, trying to rid themselves of all the incoming water.

Or just use the opportunity to pull off whatever durdly combo you have always wanted to play.
>>
>move to a new town
>find LGS
>sweet they have a commander night
>sit down at a pod
>someone has a narset deck
>cast meddling mage
>name narset
>table flips the fuck out about how thats against the spirit of the format
is this normal? i moved from the midwest is this like a regional thing?
>>
>>51984122
Man you're back again? Do the autists that shit up this general have shifts, or do you all try to outdo each other?
>>
is there anything interesting you can do with the super daya twins? pulled them from the gatewatch pre-release where they've remained in a binder since
>>
>>51985497
They sound autistic
>>
File: 1480108679496.jpg (28KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
1480108679496.jpg
28KB, 223x310px
>>51985106
The only way to fight cancer is to become the cancer
>>
Okay, so I don't know if the ask a judge thread is actually live so here's a question. If I have Vernal Bloom and Mana Reflection on the field, and I tap a Forest, do I get four mana (the extra green from Vernal Bloom is also doubled) or is it just three (because Vernal Bloom doesn't explicitly state that the extra is produced by the land itself)?
>>
>>51985106
when the meta isn't cutting you slack, rakdos has your back
>>
>>51985497
>2CMC: target player can't use the card his deck is built around until he draws removal
>>
>go to store buy cards
>decide to come home on foot
>suddenly the strongest rain in 4 fucking months
>the paper envelope the cards were in pretty much melted
>50 dollars of cards lost

Who else is having a great day?
>>
>>51985634
In that case it should be three.

If you like to live riskily consider overlaid terrain
>>
>>51985646
And?
>>
>>51985690
If you don't understand why people would get upset by that, don't bother going to another night
>>
>>51985732
I mean, did he not just have removal in hand? Why would he keep a hand without removal?

This situation is only making sense if the player is bad.
>>
>>51985497
Christ what a bunch of babies. Narset is one of the best targets for Mage, since you're going to have trouble getting rid of her if she sticks.
>>51985646
>Jeskai not having access to removal and draw
>>
>>51985657
no time to find shelter? geez
>>
>>51985646
Same argument as tuck: if your entire deck falls apart without access to the Commander, that's a weakness you need to be aware of, and which should be punishable.
>>
>>51985497
Being fair to him, I would absolutely say Meddling Mage and Nevermore are against the spirit of the format.
Along with Song of the Dryad, Darksteel Mutation, Lignify, and Imprisoned in the Moon on a commander.
The whole point of having the Commander abide by its own laws and become the master card of the deck, which is centerpiece to the format, means that cards interfering with the Commander's own behavior (and not in a way the player can just return them to the command zone, and then, to the battlefield) is intrinsically against the spirit of the format.
This doesn't mean they should be banned, but more along the lines of reserved for serious, competitive games.
>>
>>51985634
Three. Reflection has a replacement effect that modifies the actual mana ability you activated, while Vernal Bloom is a triggered mana ability wholly separate from the activated one.
>>
>>51985732
Oh, it's understandable why that would upset them, just like it's understandable why hitting someone's Sun Titan with a Doom Blade would upset them. That doesn't justify table-flipping autistic outrage because your poorly constructed deck got tabled by a single card you didn't plan for.
>>
>>51985868
>>51985680
Should've just googled it, but thanks anyway. What mono-green stuff is there that causes the land itself to tap for additional mana? I've been searching around but they all just seem to add an additional mana of their own, like Caged Sun, Vernal Bloom, Extraplanar Lens etc
>>
>>51985858
To be fair, I rarely see Meddling Mage effects name a Commander. They usually name "Specific card that could fuck me". I name Cyclonic Rift with my Nevermores, for example.
>>
>>51985901
Like, cards that'll churn out more mana like Mana Reflection, or cards that give the land itself new abilities? Because there's not a lot of either.
>>
>>51985901
Overlaid Terrain!
>>
>>51985904
Right, I have absolutely nothing against using them in general, or defensive lines against commanders such as Pithing Needle or Runed Halo. More against nailing a Commander to a zone and not letting the player utilize them any longer.
>>
>>51985901
Mana Flare. My group fucking loves when I play Wort because I run Mana Flare in that deck
>>
>>51985732
Except Narset is literally THE "I attack and win" commander.

Fucking Narset players can NEVER be allowed to keep her on the table and attack.
>>
>>51985904
Narset fucks everyone. Once they get their extra turns going, it's just painful to experience. I don't understand why the table wasn't celebrating
>>
>>51985901
Not much, but Doubling Cube might help you with your mana. Who's your general?

>>51985973
Yeah, it adds an extra mana like Gauntlet of Power, Keeper of Progenitus etc

Unfortunately Mana Reflection doesn't double its extra mana either.
>>
>>51985106
Assault Suit Zurgo and have everyone beatstick eachother for commander damage
>>
>>51985947
Damn it Overlaid Terrain-guy, I don't have the deck to work with a card like that. I wish I did but Crucible of Worlds ain't cheap.

>>51986031
Here's the list, makes things easier.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/omnath-the-enchanted/
>>
>>51986006
I simply don't understand how people enjoy playing Narset.

There are two modes:

1: You never get to attack with Narset, stick your thumb up your ass and watch everyone else play magic for 20 min to 2 hours in the hope that your Narset resolves

2: Your Narset lives and you won.

I've had plenty of Narset players bitch about not having fun when playing EDH in my playgroup. Know what we tell them then? Man the fuck up or play another commander. If you have a commander that wins the game because it swings once, you're not going to swing with it if we have anything to say about it.

If you want to enjoy "the spirit of the format", don't play a fucking commander that DEMANDS an answer.

Nobody plays Narset at my LGS anymore.
>>
are there cards that let you see and play a card from an opponent's hand? something like mindslaver, but less powerful?
>>
>>51986100
Sen Triplets is the commander for you, my friend.
>>
>>51986100
Sen Triplets?

Mindclaw Shaman?

There's a ninja that lets you cast stuff from opponents hand too.
>>
>>51986100
Sen Triples, arguably stronger than mindslaver
>>
>>51986100
Mindclaw Shaman immediately comes to mind.
>>
>>51986100
telepathy
zur's weirding
zen trips
>>
What's the 5 best counterspells ever printed, /edhg/?
>>
>>51986138
>telepathy
>zur's weirding
those don't let you cast the cards
>>
>>51986119
>>51986100
Silent Blade Oni
>>51986150
Counterspell, FoW, Pact of Negation, Foil, Disallow.

Honorable mention to Thwart, Rewind and Desertion

Purely in EDh btw, once you get into things like modern mental misstep, spell snare etc become contenders
>>
>>51986150
>>51986150
Red Elemental Blast
Pyroblast
Avoid Fate
Burnout
Guttural Response
>>
File: 12282012snyderpic5.jpg (56KB, 500x409px) Image search: [Google]
12282012snyderpic5.jpg
56KB, 500x409px
>>51986100
>>
>>51986150
Dash Hopes
Burnout
Mana Tithe
Boiling Seas
Helix Pinnacle
>>
>>51986150
In no particular order I like:
>Cryptic Command
>Mystic Confluence
>Counterflux
>Arcane Denial
>Swan Song
t. Melek player

OG Counterspell and Suffocating Blast are also sweet
>>
>>51986176
>Counterspell

Isn't Mana Drain strictly better?
>>
Why do I always arrive when the thread has like 300 replies? the fuck
>>
>>51986100
Oh yeah and Psychic Intrusion
>>51986224
Yeah I forgot about it desu, such is life as a poorfag
>>
>>51986227
because this is what a healthy format looks like
>>
>>51986284
they should introduce mythics to commander products to help with that problem

every 8th precon randomly includes an extra powerful format-warping card. the kids will love it!
>>
>>51986227
Just in time for the next thread friend.
>>
>>51981081
Mono decks? Probably green.

Otherwise blue by far.
>>
File: MishrasHelix.jpg (62KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
MishrasHelix.jpg
62KB, 312x445px
Am I a bad person for considering this for Omnath ramp?
>>
>>51985858
Nevermore and friends, darksteek mutation and friends and pithing needle and friends all ask your deck 2 questions:
1 can your deck function without a specific card?
2 do you have enough to remove nevermore/the mutation/pithing needle?

If the answer to either of these questions is no, then your deck is bad. Yes, there are occassions where the player is not really at fault (nevermore against a monoblack deck), but in most occasions there is no excuse not to run enchantment removal (or just straight up creature removal in the case of meddling mage, something every color has access to).

And hell, even if you're monoblack and you get nevermore'd, monoblack has access to plenty of win conditions, your deck has no excuse to fall apart.
>>
>>51986408
>Tap X lands
>In response, player taps lands for Mana

Seems not-great
>>
Why is it 21 commander damage and not 20?
>>
>>51986479
Could tap them out during upkeep. That way they don't get a chance to use anyting except instant speed stuff, then the mana just drains away.
>>
>>51986479
You so it in their upkeep, so they are limited to instants, things with flash, and activated abilities.
>>
Man, Godo would benefit so much from being in Boros
>>
>>51986501
Because the elder dragons have 7 power.
>>
>>51986501
>Why is it 21 commander damage
the elder dragons were all 7/7s and 21 damage came from 3 hits from one dragon.
>>
>>51986512
Aurelia with Godo in the 99?
>>
>>51986501
Elder dragon highlander

They were all 7/7s.

Three strikes, you are out.
>>
>>51986501
Because fuck you also that is exactly 3 hits from the Elder Dragons
>>
>>51986512
yeah he would
almost like they actively make bad boros commanders though isnt it
>>
>>51986501
The Elder Dragons the format is named for are 7/7s. 3 full-bore swings from them meant a loss
>>
>>51986555
Nah b, I like Godo too much/I'm a dirty EDH hipster

>>51986573
I'd probably build Aurelia as tokens instead of Voltron
>>
>>51986614
>Nah b, I like Godo too much/I'm a dirty EDH hipster
That's totally fair.
>>
>>51986408
With Seedborn muse? I dig it.
>>
>>51986449
I was never saying they're malevolent cards. Sure your deck is bad if it's facilitating your commander and not covering its bases for that, but that isn't relevant to the spirit of things at all.
The spirit of the matter is that you're driving a wedge into the commander and forcing them to either deal with that wedge (playing to the meta) or live without their commander (playing against the very format). It stops relating to the idea of "this card is the master of the deck, and everything within the deck relates to it".
>>
File: Meekstone.png (137KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Meekstone.png
137KB, 223x311px
>he doesn't run meekstone
>>
>>51986150
I seriously hope people don't discover Forbid on a wide basis. That card is my nightmare.
>>
>>51986970
I'm sorry, I love that fucking card because I'm a bad person.
>>
>>51986970
Got that one used against my Splendid Reclamation last night in Titania

Thankfully, Buyback was not paid
>>
>>51986150
Pact, Will, Drain, Forbid, REB/Pyroblast
>>
>>51985948
Eeeeh. If your deck falls apart to that, it's no different than folding to Rest in Peace. Plan around it or fold to it.
>>
File: WUT DA ZOG.jpg (26KB, 360x480px) Image search: [Google]
WUT DA ZOG.jpg
26KB, 360x480px
It's here!
>>
>>51987138
GET DA BOYZ READY FER DA WAAAAAAGH
>>
>>51987138
What's with that cum stain on it?
>>
>>51987183
They put a scrap of packing peanut to keep the cards from bouncing around in the box thing, I guess. The Ghave order had one too.
>>
>>51985732
If you're playing america and you fold to a single unprotected 2/2 creature, it's your deck that is bad. I can understand monogreen getting salty over it but Narset? Where are your Pyroclasms, Wraths, StPs and counterspells?
>>
File: TRUKKZ.jpg (34KB, 360x480px) Image search: [Google]
TRUKKZ.jpg
34KB, 360x480px
>>51987138
>>51987178
>>
File: GORK AND MORK.jpg (33KB, 360x480px) Image search: [Google]
GORK AND MORK.jpg
33KB, 360x480px
>>51987138
>>51987178
>>51987298
One iz cunnin', but brutal

One iz brutal, but cunnin'
>>
>>51987138
>ordering from SCG
you aint da britest git
>>
>>51987332
Eh, I had store credit to burn from events.
>>
>>51984374
I fucking hate Serra Ascendant in general, that's why I play Hidetsugu and laugh in its asshole face.
>>
>>51987352
Nah it's cool I'm just giving you shit over nothing. I only recognized it because I just recently ordered a minotaur tribal deck from them and they came in the same kind of case. I'm probably paranoid but I don't trust bulk ordering from tcgplayer.
>>
>>51987399
Honestly I avoid TCGPlayer because one of my locals had three straight orders (from different vendors!) arrive in a penny sleeve in a plain white envelope, and two of those orders were damaged to shit.
>>
>>51987138
that's a nice looking case for the card.

>>51987332
I'm quite partial to Channelfireball or TCG.
Maybe the price is a bit higher than TCG, but CFB is super anal about card condition and from my experience has great service. I needed to cancel an order and I get a reply to my email in 2 hours.
/shill
>>
>>51987423
If you can get it TCGDirect, they're a lot better. Padded envelope, hard case and all that
>>
>>51987434
Eh, I buy from Starcity due to a combination of "they ALWAYS have what I'm after because of sheer scope of the store", "Customer service has never betrayed me", and "I usually have credit with them anyway".
>>
>>51987104
Difference is that Rest in Peace isn't hounding a keystone of the format. It's a card to be danced around, but it's the same in every format. Forbidding commanders is something that can only happen in Commander.
>>
>>51987458
SCG didn't have Dross Scorpion when I ordered for Slobad

Or Crop Rotation when I ordered for Titania
>>
>>51987480
Forbidding -commanders-, yes. But there's literally only a handful of cards that say "You can't cast a named spell", and almost all of them are creatures.

If your entire fucking deck folds to a single copy of the easiest-to-kill card type in the game, then that's a weakness you need to shore up or accept the losses.
>>
>>51987138
Lifelink and that seems pretty good.
>>
>>51986825
Spirit of the format fags are the worst. Take your fun policing someplace else.
>>
>>51987535
Prolly. That's not the plan, though.
>>
>>51987495
Again, you're going off the tangent. The point isn't that they're overpowered or anything. I'm not saying anything negative about their general use. It's that in using them against a commander, you are defying the spirit of the format.
This doesn't mean "pull them from every deck! I hate them!", it just means if you're going to use them like that, do it in an environment that already defies the spirit of the format. The high power competitive environment, that is.
>>
>>51986199
Best reply all thread
>>
>>51987560
basilisk collar makes that a good card, maximum cunnin'
>>
>>51987575
Narset seem like a high powered competitive commander to me, he did something legit by shutting off a really scary commander that can win by herself with a single swing.
>>
>>51986199
I'll never understand what this art has to do with the card, but it's cool as fuck and the card is fun.
>>
>>51987608
I agree. Thus, it's a circumstance where both people are right, but one is more right than the other (the one who played Meddling Mage).
The Narset player is not wrong, fundamentally, but he's definitely not in a position to complain.
>>
>>51987575
See
>>51987555
And go fuck yourself.
>>
>>51987595
Well, Collar's in there to make Sharpshootah DED KILLY, but I suppose we can have cunnin' artillery too.
>>
>>51987575
If someone's playing Narset "I win as soon as I attack", 'spirit of the format' is out the fucking window already.
>>
>>51984350
Scute Mob
>>
>>51987617
Absolutely nothing! If I remember, the art they had fell through (somehow) and they had to get a new piece very very very urgently (shit was about to go to print) so that was done up in like, a day.
>>
>>51984350
Tasigur
>>
>>51987668
a masterwork of ingenuity will give you double the dakka to get twice as killy
>>
>>51987804
But that ain't moar dakka, it's just KILLIER dakka.
>>
File: 28.jpg (73KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
28.jpg
73KB, 312x445px
>>51987138
Well, if you really want to go all in on that theme...
>>
>>51987984
this card is so bad, even with sundial of the infinite
>>
>>51988121
>>51988121
>>51988121
New thread
>>
I'm not very creative with deckbuilding and I don't know which commanders are more fun than they sound.

>What's a commander with a lot of fun/flavor? Decksuggestions also welcome

So far I have:
Newlamog Tribal
Gonti ETB
Kruphix Ramp Eldrazi
Seshiro Tribal
Sliver Tribal
Vialsmasher/Ludevic Grixis Control
>>
>>51981099
I run Equinox in my Noyan Dar deck
>>
>>51986825
I'm playing a card that disrupts them until they remove it. How in any way is that different from thalia, or blind obedience, or null rod or an enormous collection of other cards.

If they can't remove it that's their problem. Packing plenty of removal is not "playing to the meta", it's just part of a good deck. And if you don't have a good deck you're gonna lose to disruption, that's how easy it is.
>>
>>51986970
It works amazingly with arcane lab if you've got the draw to back it up.
>>
>>51981639
Why do people always bust out the thesaurus when they try to win an argument online? We know you don't talk like that in real life, unless you're a turbo-autist
>>
>>51982449
Do you really expect us to read all that shit? Nigga...
>>
File: Image.jpg (30KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
30KB, 223x310px
>>51984312
That would be Aysen Highway :^)
>>
>>51988536
i posted a link to it twice already if you are to lazy to read.

and if you are gunna say "i'm on a phone so i couldn't tooltip read on the site" then fuck you.
I'm posting text with the expectation that some of us are on mimi (app, so phone)

what else do you expect me to do?
Thread posts: 385
Thread images: 49

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.