[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need help making a 3rd Race

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Beastmen final fantasy.png (921KB, 626x851px) Image search: [Google]
Beastmen final fantasy.png
921KB, 626x851px
My setting currently has two races, Humans and Beastmen.

Humans are more orderly, more mentally intelligent but are weaker and less in tune with nature then the Beatmen.

This is the current balance my setting has right now. I enjoy it, but I feel like I should really have a third race to make it truly feel alive. The question then is what race should it be?
>>
>>51979349
>Less in tune with Nature

Let me guess, this is a setup for your bog-standard "butt naked noble savage" beastmen?
>>
>>51979349
A race should not be created or wedged into a system or setting for literally no reason other than wanting one more race.

Ideally, you need an aspect that the new race is to embody, such as the Intelligent and Ordered Humans or the Strong and Natural Beastmen.

This aspect could literally be anything.
It could be magic, speed, guile, durability, or any other aspect, really.

If you're asking what is the third part of the dichotomy you've established, there is none.
>>
>>51979394
>>51979349
I agree with this poster, it's more about what may be missing from your world. It's like the meme where the professor continually asks his class how "full" the jar is as he proceeds to put smaller objects into it.

If your jar is already filled by your two races - two large objects filling but not overflowing the jar - then adding another race is obtuse.

If you'd like a separate race entirely you could design an animal race that isn't anthro to the degree of beast men. Or a standard seclusive long-lived race like treants or elves that don't relate to humans or beast men could work.

But if you want to play a conflict between the races you could have the third race be a populace of half-breeds stuck in the middle. Half-breeds are usually estranged by both civilizations so you could work in injustice themes or rebellion/unity.
>>
I think you should put more thought into your existing races before adding a new one for the sake thereof.

For example, looking at your pic, you've got a wide variety of "subspecies" for beastmen. Do beastmen keep to their own kind, or is it acceptable to live among other types of beastmen? Do the different subspecies have racial quirks or personality traits? How large are their societies, and how do they feed themselves? And most importantly of all, why do the beastmen consider themselves a single race if they're so biologically different?

Perhaps in games in your setting, you can represent this by giving humans a "background" and beastmen a "subspecies". Since humans are biologically uniform but with different roles in society, and beastmen are biologically varied but with similar tribal societies, "backgrounds" would probably give humans skill bonuses while "subspecies" would give beastmen attribute boosts (or bonuses like darkvision, water breathing, flight, etc.).
>>
>>51979349
that samurai esc hawk horned mother fucker looks sick
>>
>>51979349
Fae, who aren't in tune with nature so much as they are... paranormal, almost like they belong to a different existence, or sideways reality that intersects with ours. If anything, animals tend to dislike them or be frightened of them. They are creatures of twilight, and are innately magical, but are maybe more susceptible to magic as a result.
>>
>>51979349
Adding a demonic or spirit folks who dwell in another realm but invade your setting realm for adventure, conquest and for alliance add a new region and NPCs for you to indulge in.
Oni, tiefling or aasmir fits the bill.
>>
>>51979349

Id say that you don't need a third race so much as you should split up Beastmen into a number of different races and factions. Some friendly to humans, some rivaling humans, others just hostile to everyone who isn't themselves.

Unless all of the various beastmen share some kind of common origin that would make them band together, I don't see why they would be one huge faction.

Ideas for third races anyway:

Goblins-as-dwarves. You can have an entire underground civilization that stretches the continent and has complete dominion, with their own cities and culture and technology and everything. They just rarely come to the surface and stick to their own realms. Goblins come to the surface to gather stuff about as often as we dig down into goblin territory to mine stuff. Human settlements either have complicated truces about when and where they can and cannot dig (as well as where the goblins are allowed to scavenge from the surface) or its a chaotic free for all where any time the two meet each other it usually ends in a fight.
Its easy to dismiss them as savages because they are dirty little creatures, but their craftsmanship is excellent and they actually have a surprisingly sophisticated civilization down there. They just don't care as much about hygine as we do because they are not as vulnerable to disease, and by nature most of the goblins people run into are either gatherers on the surface (a low tier and unwanted job in goblin society), raiding parties, or panicked goblins freaking out because you just tunneled into their living room.
>>
>>51979394
>>51979465
These guys are on it. example, the world I'm running.

'humans' are the standard, flexible, expansionist race that makes up most of the populace in the continent.
'lionorcs' make up the populace of an australia sized island. they represent a naive isolationism and comraderie. You never do worse than beat someone up: You only draw blood on prey. As such, it's a pecking order system based on bartering and physical strength. When 'humans' came, they fucked them up for a long time because they didn't know what to do with the 'human' notion of open war. just didn't get it.
'lizardjerks' live in a tundra. they represent survival at all costs. While not really super dicks, they aren't afraid of cannibalism, wear anything they can get that's warm, and practically worship steel because it's impossible for them to make since they need to be semi nomadic just to find food. will serve as soldiers for the weapons you hand them, literally.
'notelves' represent the asia of my world. They are the foreign influence, misunderstood but not unwelcome, reached by traveling several months through an archipelago. They have a whole different approach to most technologies and sciences, including magic. They are actually just how humans 'evolved' on the other side of the world before the age of sail made contact common.

each race has a role, fits a space, serves a purpose. At one time I had considered a race of birds of paradise for the archipelago to notasia, but I was stopped by asking myself a very simple question: Why? what would they fulfill?
>>
>>51979370
I know right? Humans are just ape-people, so why not turn them into the natural hippie folk?

If you upscale a bird('s brain) to the size of a human (brain), you end up with an entity that would be significantly smarter because bird brains are far denser than humans, more brain connections per cm3, because birds need light brains to fly better. Now you got birds that are smarter and are all about inventing new ways to do things etc.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.