[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

HUMAN DESCRIPTIONS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: Map.jpg (955KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Map.jpg
955KB, 1024x768px
Hi /tg/, I need all the feedback I can get on my descriptions of the varied groups in my !notEurope setting. Its a lot of words so each different group description (will be 7 or 8) will be its own post.

Are the descriptions to predictable? Are the groups too derivative? Is it all too stereotypical or offensive? Unbelievable? Is my writing bad? Please let me know what I can do to make it better.

>my map image will give you an idea of where the different groups are roughly situated. Cass-Duhr and Aulkoris are dwarfish and elfish nations, respectfully.
>>
>>51976443
Brecian – a minority group of Espius and Zelkand, and the majority in the small nation of Brecia. A small but notably shrewd and opulent group, the nation of Brecia itself is almost an aristocratic enclave of sorts. Brecians tend to be master politickers and consider winning the hard-earned trust of other powerful people.
• Society Level: 5 (Late Feudal)
• Stereotypes: Insular but wealthy – lords, traders, businessmen, socialites, courtiers
• PHB Analogs: None
• Real world analogs: Balkan, Greek
• Native Tongue: Espusian
>>
>>51976443
Espusian – majority ethnicity of Espius. They are a well-civilized people with a storied, well-recorded history, and a visible appreciation for arts and craftsmanship of all kinds, revering beauty in many forms. While they show an heir of sophistication, they have a reputation of being passionate, expressive, spontaneous extroverts with fiery tempers.
• Society Level: 6 (Modernistic)
• Stereotype: Impulsive but cultured – merchants, artisans, explorers, privateers
• Real world analogs: Iberian, Italian
• Native Tongue: Espusian
>>
Harther – the proprietary culture and majority ethnicity of the Harthese Empire. Their cultural identity and sensibilities are largely informed by a tempering of both elfish and dwarfish influences. They are known to be very orderly and community-minded, but are a diverse group nonetheless.

Harthers tend to live in the most technologically sophisticated human society. The establishment and growth of their Empire has lead their government’s nationalism and jingoism to rub off on many of them, but it has also lead to them to become quite worldly. The majority of people in Ilcron have learned to speak their language due to their culture’s large sphere of influence.
• Society Level: 6 (Modernistic)
• Stereotype: Hawkish but conscientious – soldiers, politicians, academics, settlers
• PHB Analogs: Chondathan
• Real world analogs: Briton, Germanic
• Native Tongue: “Imperial Common” (Harthese)
>>
Kirr – people of the small hill nations of Dwen and Stoncemir. Mostly considered a minor and unremarkable group by others. They live simple lives and usually work hard, those who don’t are members of wandering raider clans.
• Society Level: 2-3 (Agrarian - Civil)
• Stereotype: Crude but pragmatic – raiders, miners, lumberjacks, hunters
• Real world analogs: Dark Age Western Europeans
• Native Tongue: Zelkish (Kirrick dialect)
>>
Tarzelk – a relatively unassuming group that is not a majority populace in nearly any region but one province of the Empire, otherwise small communities can be found in smaller numbers throughout Middle Ilcron. Mostly noted for their thinkers and artisans. Trades and passions are practiced passionately and meticulously, and are carefully but devotedly passed down from one generation to the next.
• Society Level: 5 (Late Feudal)
• Stereotype: Obscure but creative –artists, writers, philosophers, musicians
• PHB Analogs: Chondathan/Tethyrian
• Real world analogs: Alpine European
• Native Tongue: Zelkish (Tarzelk dialect)
>>
>>51976443
Vaulner – majority ethnicity of Vauln and several provinces in the northern Harthese Empire. Considered unpleasant and uncultured, they are sometimes given due for keeping goblinoids at bay, if nothing else. They live sparsely across a wide swath of harsh land, and live very diverse lives. Some barely eke out survival in arctic hinterlands, some live and die in the unending war against the goblinoids, others closer to urban centres have ‘civilized’ (to a relative extent).

Unifying traits among the Vaulner culture is holding strength and fearlessness amongst the highest of personal qualities, and possessing tribal markings to indicate the details of their lineage, birth, kinship, and allegiances.
• Society Level: 2-4 (Agrarian – Civil – Early Feudal)
• Stereotype: Savage but tough (SL 3-4) – berserkers, rangers, hunters, nomads
• PHB Analogs: Damaran/Illuskan
• Real world analogs: Russian, Scandinavian
• Native Tongue: Vaulnese
>>
Zelk – majority ethnicity of Zelkland. The longstanding reputation of Zelk people is that they are romantic traditionalists that hold notions of chivalry and religious devotion in high esteem. They tend to wear their selfless attitude they practice in regard towards their communities, nation and God as a badges of pride, but are known to be mistrustful of new ideas and other cultures, or outsiders.

This leads to a perception of the Zelk people to be arrogant, regressive, and xenophobic. On the other hand, a Zelk that errs on the side of outright dismissal and/or hostility, over moderation and calculation when placed in a new or strange situation, is purportedly rare. Still, Zelks have a preference of what is familiar over the different.
• Stereotype: Stubborn but spiritual (SL 5) – farmers, fishermen, knights, clergymen, sailors
• PHB Analogs: Tethyrian
• Real world analogs: French
• Native Tongue: Zelkish
>>
Other Ilcronean Humans - Not all Ilcronean humans belong to the above groups. Some are mixed heritage, especially within parts of the Empire and along certain borders. Others may be permanent residents and even natives of the continent, but are of a heritage from across the sea.

There are also numerous other smaller native groups than the seven listed above, many tend to fall under the umbrella term of the “Gleamers”, which describes the members of wandering, nomadic tribes, a term basically analogous to the term ‘gypsy’.

>---Fin---

That's it for my human descriptions. Didn't go into much history at this point even though I have rough ideas.

Right now mainly focusing on descriptions that will make sense to others, especially my players. But first I wanted to see if it makes sense to you guys, and if they seem boring.

>Also fyi, Skaaras is the land of goblinoids, if that adds any more context
>>
>>51976443
I think it makes a lot of sense and all seems quite interesting. The descriptions are relatively short and to the point, which I think is a big strength when presenting setting info to players. The names seem distinct enough that they could be remembered easily after a little repetition, which is always nice.

It might be worth it to toss in a couple of bits of trivia with each race. Grab-bag bits of information just to hopefully give your players a sense that there are stuff and things already in the world they're playing in.
>>
>>51976776
Thanks anon. Makes a lot of sense, I felt something was missing and that would definitely make them seem more anchored in the setting
>>
>>51976876
Another thought, when it comes to playing NPCs in your game which belong to these races I'd recommend laying it on thick with their cultural behaviors and norms. I say this because I've had problems with it in my games where I'll design some culture but then be too subtle about it in game. The players end up missing it through no real fault of their own, I'm just not that great of an actor. My point is to ham it up here and there. I'm sure it's possible to overcorrect, but that's not a problem I've ever had.
>>
>>51976443
bro, thats argentina and chille
>>
>>51977326
To be fair, if you try hard enough just about any map of a peninsula will resemble somewhere on earth.
>>
Are you going to do for the elves and dwarves too?
>>
>>51977609
OP here, typing from phone. Eventually going to type out stuff and describe them in a similiar manner. But for tonight its just in my head
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.