[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Amonkhet speculation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8

File: Image.jpg (31KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
31KB, 223x310px
I have a feeling that making a player, potentially even true-name nemesis, will be a mechanic within amonkhet.
In Egyptian mythology the god Ra had a hidden name revealed to Isis. Ra named everything and made every thing this way. In many fantasy games the name of a wizard holds power (this was the logic to true-name being blue).
>>
>>51970859
Naming a player*
My bad. Thoughts tg?
>>
>>51970865
I wouldn't get my hopes up for them getting into the nitty gritty of Egyptian mythology. Less Kamigawa, more Theros. They're going to have some mummies, pyramids, God look-alikes, all as a backdrop to the gatewatch fucking around.

That said, I feel like they'll bring curses back, and more than just one card.
>>
WHITE ZOMBOS
WHITE ZOMBOS
WHITE ZOMBOS
WHITE ZOMBOS
WHITE ZOMBOS
>>
File: 16 - 1 (4).gif (1MB, 406x449px) Image search: [Google]
16 - 1 (4).gif
1MB, 406x449px
>>51971398
My Teysa EDH deck is going to go bananas if we get a bunch of BW mummy tokens.
>>
>>51971363

>Less Kamigawa, more Theros.

Kamigawa was too good for this world.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (23KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
23KB, 480x360px
>>51971363
>That said, I feel like they'll bring curses back, and more than just one card.
I never realized how badly I want a legendary mummy that tutors curses until now
>>
File: anput.jpg (124KB, 850x500px) Image search: [Google]
anput.jpg
124KB, 850x500px
>>51971656
There were major problems with Kamigawa's approach, but yeah, I really hope they don't completely shit the bed on the flavor side. Pic related better have some flavorful graveyard interaction or so help me.

>>51970859
I really hope that Bolas is recruiting planeswalkers (The Worthy) with his "Trials of the Five Gods", who we'll see in future sets acting as an anti-Gatewatch. If WotC isn't going to abandon their planeswalker push, I'd at least like to see regularly recurring bad guys. "The Worthy" is also a great villain team name.
>>
>>51971363
They'll also make it some kind of reanimation themed block.
>>
>>51971363
Methinks that Amonkhet's gods are more like artifact creatures that happen to be called gods rather than Theros style gods. This is a world ruled by Nicky B after all. WotC is retarded, but they're not THAT retarded. Everything else seems spot on though.
>>
>>51976879
Gods can be subservient. There would be no problem with them having God as a creature type.
>>
>>51970859
... What possible benefit could such a mechanic have in a game which doesn't automatically assume a multiplayer environment.

Also that's getting far into mythology, especially given that the current design team is pretty much only interested in using actual cultures as window dressing.
>>
>>51976844
>There were major problems with Kamigawa's approach

The problem was expecting the Magic Audience not to be a bunch of plebeians... and having such an underwhelming power level especially after Mirrodin.
>>
>>51976879
>>51976905

>Legendary Artifact Creature - God
>>
>>51976921
Exactly.
>>
>>51970859
FOUR COLOR FACTIONS
>>
>>51976909
>The problem was expecting the Magic Audience not to be a bunch of plebeians.
Not plebs, just normals. Maro talks about it in his podcast. As dumb as he is sometimes, he's actually pretty on point regarding Top-Down vs Bottom-Up. One of these:
http://podbay.fm/show/580709168/e/1458922800?autostart=1
http://podbay.fm/show/580709168/e/1467390000?autostart=1
>>51976963
No. Fuck no.
>>
Lottery cards?
>Enchantments
>Creatures
>Sorceries
>Instants
>Planeswalkers
Smart money is on Sorceries.
>>
>>51976963
Definitely not happening, just read any of their C16 articles to get the context to realize they won't be doing 4c for awhile, if ever.
>>
>>51977702
Eh, that stuff was before the reception to C16 which was huge as far as I know. I'm sure it won't be these guys, but I think it's definitely a when more than an if for more 4-color commanders.
>>
Will it be full of black characters?
>>
>>51970859
First off, forget about a True Name Nemesis reprint in a Standard set. That card was a GRIEVOUS mistake.

Regarding a possible "players matter" subtheme... Well, that may be. Wizards have already explored that territory with curses, experience and energy among others, but it's still mostly uncharted territory, with rewards and possibilities ripe for the picking.

But "naming a player" in particular?, That ain't appearing in any standard set because most games are 1vs1 and that sort of mechanic is not very interactive at all.

It could show up in supplemental Commander sets though.
>>
File: 7IebAhm[1].jpg (112KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
7IebAhm[1].jpg
112KB, 1200x900px
>>51976844
>Pic related better have some flavorful graveyard interaction or so help me.
Think it's more likely of the croc surrounded by zombinos
>>
File: QQXtt5f[1].jpg (144KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
QQXtt5f[1].jpg
144KB, 1200x900px
>>51976844
also, have some full-art boobie-dog
>>
File: Athreos-God-of-Passage-MtG-Art.jpg (188KB, 1000x682px) Image search: [Google]
Athreos-God-of-Passage-MtG-Art.jpg
188KB, 1000x682px
>>51980317
Well yeah, but that's different. The afterlife of Egyptian Mythology was guided by Anubis. I was hoping essentially for an Athreos kind of card, but it looks like she'll be Jund or Mono-Red.
>>
>>51980324
I swear, MTG has done more to try to turn me on to furries than any other medium.
>>
>>51970859
Holy shit
Can we get Curses?

I fucking love Curses.
>>
>>51981004
They printed one in Shadows over Innistrad, so it's not like it's an abandoned mechanic.
Traps would be great too, flavored like a pharaoh's tomb.
>>
>>51976844
Kamigawa was roundabout and all over the place and big-costed and impracitcal because that's what the shinto folk tales are like. It coming after Mirrodin and it not having more Arcanes and implicitly a way to ramp in every color were its only faults.

It was literally too deep for the players.
>>
>>51981040
>roundabout and all over the place and big-costed and impracitcal
>because that's what the shinto folk tales are like
>too deep
Bad design is bad design. They should have picked themes that would actually resonate (or a large overarching theme like Oda's campaigns and picked bits and pieces of folklore to splash in).
You don't base a set's mechanical structure on the story structure of the world you're basing it off. That's just a horrible interpretation of top-down design.
>>
predictions:

snake:sultai
cat: mardu
heron: jeksai
croc: abzan
jackal: temur
>>
>>51980582
Nah, you're just a degenerate, KYS
>>
>>51981943
We're not getting wedges again before we get a shard set.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.