[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How active do you like gods in your world? Is there a way to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1470180212582.webm (3MB, 700x300px) Image search: [Google]
1470180212582.webm
3MB, 700x300px
How active do you like gods in your world? Is there a way to reconcile divine beings being active without coming off like a literal deus ex machina?
>>
>>51967307
In my setting the gods can only interact with the world by using their clerics as conduits for their divine will. That's why they try to get more worshippers (the more worshippers you have the more of them will become clerics and thus the more power you can exert upon the world). I like it because it gives the cleric meaning in a world that genuinely experiences divine intervention on a constant basis.

They can also manifest as avatars but this means that while they control their avatar they can no longer provide spells to their clerics so if they are a popular deity it's unwise to manifest except in the most dire circumstances. Many minor deities may spend most of their time as avatars however since they have less clerics and less requests for spells.
>>
>>51967307
Use chosen ones as in gods can only appoint one of his clergy as his chosen at a time and if those people die, he have to wait for a long while (years etc.) before he can do it again.
The chosen get more powerful stats and skillset associated with the god as long the god like him but is still vulnerable to being killed.
This make chosens more likely to take risks and tasks to do their gods' wishes, which also led them to clash with various factions and other religions.
>>
>>51968532
To add, make their gods feel like classical gods in Greek and Old Testament rather than the modern bullshit where all the Gods are perfect, can only be one and can never be wrong (which is the fanatic and boring viewpoint) .
>>
Gods were wiped out by humanity for being a bunch of shits and all that's left is a trio of angels who through deceit and lies imprisoned humanity in the endless, misty forest that's actively trying to kill It.

People are not even that strong now, but the angels are so terrified of them, they kind of hide around the world and try to stay low in hope that no one will come to kill them. They only act If they are certain that no one will learn about them.
Truly, the ultimate cowards of the universe
>>
File: 1487732280841.jpg (156KB, 711x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1487732280841.jpg
156KB, 711x1080px
>>51967307
i like mine very passive and weak, only thing that makes them real is that people can conduct their magic by keeping the given knowledge which man aquired in ancient times alive by passing it down from cleric to cleric.

i also like people to question god as a good force of nature, and challange them
>>
>>51967307
As inactive as possible. Clerical magic can be written off as really good luck.
>>
Fully active greek style gods are just a railroading tool for DMs.

"Oh you punch the uppity peasant in the face? It's secretly the god of warfare wearing human form to test you xD. Roll save or die"
>>
I like the concept of there being no actual gods, but powerful wizards or immortal elves or superstitions being the root of religion, with professional clergy running the church and followers doing whatever they do best in varying degrees of service to it.
>>
>>51967307
Genius loci are everywhere.

Gods are nowhere to be seen.
>>
>>51967307
I tend to think them as zoo /savannah keepers. Yeah they build the holdingpens, sometimes heal the sick & wounded animals, but mostly just watch over it from behind the bars. Mortals are just animals to them. they have their favorites, who get extra treats sometimes. But their main job is to keep the place running.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.