[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Contemporary/Modern Wargaming

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: Chaos Rules.jpg (1MB, 3204x1432px) Image search: [Google]
Chaos Rules.jpg
1MB, 3204x1432px
Hey guys, is anyone into Modern wargaming? Is there any rulesets you like or is there a gap in the market there?

I have been writing a modern skirmish wargame and been bandying it around to some publishers without any luck yet, so just curious if there was any interest in modern/post apocalyptic/shtf style gang warfare. If I don't have any luck with publishers I might end up self publishing.

What would you want in a contemporary tabletop wargame?

These are some spectre miniatures I have been using in play-testing. The game uses D20's and plays fast, with some detailed campaign/rpg elements ala Necromunda/Mordheim
>>
>>51962033
You mean a military game with operators operating operationally, or a gang game ?

As for minis, the recent zombie games (Warlord or mantic) both have ranges of modern humans so there's that. TAG also have some.

Anyway I'm interested in this thread, but since I am at work I probably won't be that active.
>>
File: Men of the Cloth.jpg (543KB, 2000x900px) Image search: [Google]
Men of the Cloth.jpg
543KB, 2000x900px
>>51962074
It is both, there is 4 factions with 3 gang types each, the first campaign book is set in a pseudo-contemporary USA where the worst fears/hopes of /k/ have come true and the country has destablised to the point of armed conflict.

Government (police/armed Forces), Destabilising Factions (cartels/terrorists), Neutrals (civilian groups) and Criminals (Gangs)

Empress miniatures also does some amazing minis.
>>
File: russki.png (316KB, 439x477px) Image search: [Google]
russki.png
316KB, 439x477px
There some nice models out there
>>
>>51962129
As far as the rulesets goes, there's always double-tap.

A good ruleset for something like this would be one accommodating forces of very different playstyles (first-world regular army with drones and vehicles, commandos, gangs, insurgents, durkas in toyotas, etc) so it seems like yours is on the right track.

Seriously I'd love that.
>>
>>51962468
Thanks for that, it's what i'm hoping to do basically,

For example the three Government factions in the first release are the United States Armed Forces, Law Enforcement and SOCOM

They are not super specific so people can play as Marines, National Guard, SWAT, Sheriff's Delta etc whilst still retaining the broadest flavours of those groups.

US Armed Forces are well equipped with heavy weapons and armour, police special in close quarters and SOCOM small elite groups relying on more stealthy tactics.
>>
>>51962518
About the scale of the games, something like between 10 and 20 minis on the table would be great. No linked squads except maybe for the cheapest mooks.
>>
>>51962543
I'm glad you said that, from what I have seen most mini skirmish games are around platoon size, I wanted something more individual based where you get to know your characters.

From SOCOM to Street Gangs it will probably have a variance of between 6-18 guys per side.
>>
>>51962553
That's pretty great. Do you have a WIP ruleset one can playtest ?
>>
>>51962562
I do but I can't send it out to the internet just yet cause I am still seeking publishing, if I decide to go self published i will get some internet playtesters for sure.
>>
>>51962573
Well, I guess you should keep us posted.

On the subject of vehicles, I doubt including tanks other than as objectives would be a good idea but trucks/APCs would be good.

And maybe the ruleset could also accommodate black ops/spy-types missions
>>
>>51962599
I don't have vehicle rules at the moment, I wasn't sure if the scale would suit it. But I might consider it if people would think it's vital. Trucks, Humvees nothing armoured particuarly.
>>
File: 1437758940200.jpg (299KB, 636x746px) Image search: [Google]
1437758940200.jpg
299KB, 636x746px
>>51962033
Is this Day of the Rope wargaming? Sounds fun.
>>51962599
Enough for a single truck/van/atv/apc might be okay. I don't think you'd want big armor like tanks or the homemade ISIS tanks.
>>
>>51962745
Vehicules don't need to be in at first, however having rules for drones or remotes strikes could be cool.
>>
>>51962758
>I don't think you'd want big armor like tanks or the homemade ISIS tanks.
As targets for a demolition mission ?
>>
>>51962831
A target for a demolition mission absolutely would be fine. Tanks being a part of the core army I'm not so sure about for a platoon skirmish game though.
>>
>>51962518
What will the civilian groups and criminals get that'd make them an interesting option to play?
>>
>>51963041
Criminals would probably have their numbers. Civilians may have huger numbers+alternative weapons (lots of CCW, molotovs, etc)
>>
>>51962758
What is Day of the Rope?

>>51962863
>>51962831
Yep definitely, some of the factions will have specific missions, attacking a Federal vehicle park might be a good mission for a terrorist group.

>>51963041
>>51963364
Depends on the group, the Mafia have acess to the blackmarket by default for example, allowing them a chance to get some rare weapons. Street Gangs have the largest numbers, the swarm army if you will.

One of the civilian groups, the Castlers (named after the castle doctrine) who are the regular civilians defending their homes, are led by their local leader, a mayor or other charimsatic townsman, leading poorly trained armed civilians, the local doomsday prepper who gives bonuses in the post game sequence and a veteran, who has very high stats, but starts with a randomly determined injury.
>>
>>51962759
I haven't included such rules yet, though I might consider them, it would have to be a balancing act though.

It might make an excellent scenario however, planting a beacon or using a laser designator to order in a drone strike.
>>
File: sas01.jpg (163KB, 336x500px) Image search: [Google]
sas01.jpg
163KB, 336x500px
>>
One shameless op bump before I sleep
>>
>>51962033
is ISIS a playable faction?
>>
>>51963562
>What is Day of the Rope?

You might know it by its more modern name, "The Beta Uprising".
>>
>>51962573
I like your idea OP would love to try a modern wargame in the setting you've described. Good luck finding a publisher. Don't forget about us when you hit it up and please let us test
>>
>>51962438
Secondign Scectre. They have some great figures for modern tacticool guys. If I wanted to play tabletop Counter Strike I would go with them.
>>
I'm making a modern tactical squad based wargame but it's more modern fantasy shadow war than realistic tacticool stuff

Like I have a street magician faction and a gator people faction alongside FBI operators and /k/ styled conspiracy nuts
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.