[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Power at a price

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: huckster.jpg (87KB, 603x450px) Image search: [Google]
huckster.jpg
87KB, 603x450px
ITT we discuss why 'power at a price,' ie, having super-cool abilities that have a high potential to seriously fuck you up, is objectively the best/coolest/most interesting way to approach extra-ordinary abilities in rpgs. What are some of your favorite examples of this in action?

Hucksters from the Deadlands universe are one of mine. Crazy card magic that may lead to possession or spontaneous combustion is great. Also currently working on a setting featuring people who can rapidly heal most physical damage/wounds, but being forced to do so gradually makes them more hulking and brutish until they eventually become little more than enormous raging animals that are very hard to kill.
>>
contractor are a good power at a price thing, like the guy in the 1st episode had to break his fingers.
>>
>>51961892
>What are some of your favorite examples of this in action?
Safest example: classic Glass Cannon.
Dangerous Example: The Deck of Many Things
>>
Unknown Armies. You'd have to be crazy to use magick, literally to use magic you have to be a special kind of crazy to bend the universe to your will.
>>
>>51961942
Darker than Black contractors or is this from something else?
>>
The power is incredibly strong/useful but also literally addicting to use.
The power has to be something that is highly inconvenient if turned on at all times for this to actually be a downside.

It could be something highly destructive like being able to turn yourself into a walking inferno that spreads itself out over time or the ability to view far into the future, in either case if the user becomes addicted and unwilling to turn it off they could become the fire that threatens to consume an entire country or on a more personal level a comatose vegetable that has to be fed through a tube because they just don't want to see the present again.

I'm sure there's an anti-drug PSA in here.
>>
>>51961892
I ssen someone post about magic leading to hubris once, it was interesting. It was more than simply being overconfident, magic itself affected your mind as if bringing a mental syndrome with it.

A player I know once reflected on a third, murderhobo, player, and considered poor-impulse control as a side-effect of magic wanting to manifest.

The original vancian magic is also interesting:
>“The tomes which held Turjan’s sorcery lay on the long table of black steel or were thrust helter-skelter into shelves. These were volumes compiled by many wizards of the past, untidy folios collected by the Sage, leather-bound librams setting forth the syllables of a hundred powerful spells, so cogent that Turjan’s brain could know but four at a time.

>Turjan found a musty portfolio, turned the heavy pages to the spell the Sage had shown him, the Call to the Violent Cloud. He stared down at the characters and they burned with an urgent power, pressing off the page as if frantic to leave the dark solitude of the book.

>Turjan closed the book, forcing the spell back into oblivion. He robed himself with a short cape, tucked a blade into his belt, fitted the amulet holding Laccodel’s Rune to his wrist. Then he sat down and from a journal chose the spells he would take with him. What dangers he might meet he could not know, so he selected three spells of general application: the Excellent Prismatic Spray, Phandal’s Mantle of Stealth, and the Spell of the Slow Hour.”
>-“Turjan of Miir”, Jack Vance

> It was not structured into "levels," and it was possible for anyone to attempt to use it, although with the possibility of backfiring. Spells that killed people instantly (such as The Excellent Prismatic Spray) were quite common and every wizard knew them.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.