[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /tg/, i was think in start a Futuristic RPG with my friends,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

Hello /tg/, i was think in start a Futuristic RPG with my friends, What system do you guys indicate for me?
>>
>>51958265
I'm assuming you mean space opera because of your picture, so:
GURPS and Fate can both do space opera. GURPS would best benefit from some of the sourcebooks, but space sf is definitely one of its strong suits. Diaspora, Bulldogs, Starblazer Adventures, and Mindjammer are all variations of Fate that are built around doing space science fiction out of the box, but given how customisable Fate is you could make do with the free core rules as well. The OpenD6 system is totally free, has free space sourcebooks, and has been used as the basis for an official Star Wars game and an unofficial Mass Effect game. I'm sure Savage Worlds and most other universal systems have some ability to handle this.
Traveller is the classic space rpg, pretty much the D&D of space rpgs in terms of popularity and age. Beyond Classic Traveller and Mongoose Traveller, there's "Cepheus Engine" which is a pay-what-you-want mashup of the two.
The core rules for Stars Without Number are free (or were, last time I checked), and the GM segments are worth reading even if you're playing a totally different system.
SPI Universe and Star Frontiers are old school space sf rpgs that are now available freely online (or, again, were, I know Star Frontiers is still up but I haven't checked on SPI Universe) but their quality is questionable.
Star Trek and Star Wars have both had official and unofficial games based on them, if you want to do something based on them. I think both franchises actually maintain generals on /tg/ for their games.
>>
>>51958265
Go with Star Wars.
It's the easiest to learn and also the most popular and easiest to find media to make your campaign even more fun for everyone.
>>
>>51958562

Star Trek thread
>>51899084
Star Wars thread
>>51942741

Knowing what games you've played before and liked/disliked, or just anything more specific about what sort of stuff you're looking for/would want to do in a game, could help narrow down the list.
One unfortunate thing I will note is that in pretty much all space sf games, ship-to-ship combat winds up being a little less satisfying than people hope it would be. There's kind of an inherent issue where, in a starship, the starship essentially functions as a single unit that everyone takes a part in. In a normal combat on the ground, be it sci-fi or fantasy, each player acts as their own unit and makes all the decisions for their character. In a starship each player is only going to be making a small slice of the decisions. It's not usually a huge issue but if you're envisioning elaborate Star Trek-esque systems where the power can be diverted between ten different systems on the ship, those aren't going to be as common.

>>51958699
There's at least three different Star Wars systems (WEG, Saga, and the new FFG one). I don't think they're going to be much easier to learn than, say, Fate, and depending on what someone wants to do a Star Wars game might be much less suited for the style/theme than something else.
>>
Any with decent-ish Fighter ship rules? Something that can handle something like Cowboy Bebop?
>>
>>51959615
Traveller. Handles everything fairly simply. From ground combat to space combat.

Mongoose 1st edition is the go-to. All you need is the core rulebook and you'er good to go.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.