[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Modern Masters Spoilers thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 342
Thread images: 31

File: bretty gud.png (1MB, 767x661px) Image search: [Google]
bretty gud.png
1MB, 767x661px
I gotta say, I'm happy with the uncommons. If the rest of the spoilers are passable, I'm gonna be pretty happy with this set, I might even buy a box. By the way MaRo if you're reading this, if Lili and Goyf are both in this set and we have 2 hundred dollar mythics on top of all this other value I will suck you off.
>>
>>51956704
Are you this guy? >>51952332
>>
>>51956769
Yes, I figured maybe he'd have a better chance of seeing it if I threw it in the OP Also MaRo is hot ;) no homo
>>
File: Linvala-Keeper-of-Silence.jpg (118KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
Linvala-Keeper-of-Silence.jpg
118KB, 265x370px
>>
>>51956704

MaRo isn't in charge of MM2017. Otherwise we wouldn't have gotten Damnation. He hates that card so much he wishes he could tear up every copy of the card personally. Every night since he learned Damnation was reprinted he's stayed up every night, drinking heavily, a cold revolver in his hand as he considers how best to use it.

He could off himself of course but then how could he correct the sin of Damnation even existing? What about murdering the people who allowed it to be printed in the first place, and then the people who allowed it to be reprinted? No, then he couldn't guard the Color Pie against those who would defile it. No, better save those bullets for the future he thinks as he takes another threat burning swig.
>>
>>51956805
This is fake. Don't fall for it.
>>
>>51956849
Shit, i saw it on Magicspoiler
>>
>>51956830
MaRo's gone on record saying Damnation is solidly in black's color pie, I don't see the problem.
>>
>>51956849
i saw on mtggoldfish too, it's probably real.
>>
>>51956704
better put on that lipstick
>>
>>51956830
>Every night since he learned Damnation was reprinted he's stayed up every night, drinking heavily, a cold revolver in his hand as he considers how best to use it.
God I hope this is true. If MaRo finally fucks off we might get a good game (and god help me maybe even good lore) again.
>>
>>51956849
Are you retarded?
>>
>>51956925
>He doesn't like the innovative, creative, incrediblely rich and deep storytelling we get from cards such as Chandra Twinbolt™, Chandra's Fireball™, Chandra's Furious Ball of Fire™, and Chandra's Fiery Pillar™!
Gee I bet you miss cards like Harvest Pyre and Brimstone Volley too you faggot.
>>
>>51956805
>>51956849
>>51956876

IT'S REAL
>>
File: 1462942231473.jpg (15KB, 290x289px) Image search: [Google]
1462942231473.jpg
15KB, 290x289px
>I often talk about how mythic rares need “the potential for awesomeness” and Snapcaster Mage definitely meets that criteria.

Fucking Maro
>>
>>51957077
"Ridiculously pushed" is not "awesomeness". If that's what it takes to be awesome, unban Deathrite Shaman. That card is the definition of awesomeness.
>>
>>51957077
>I often talk about how mythic rares need "the potential for [being fucktardedly expensive for players to get for no other reason than FUCK YOU]" and Snapcaster Mage definitely meets that criteria. :^)
>>
>>51957077
Why does he talk like a 10 year old? 1 too many trips out the driveway?
>>
>>51957118
>unban 1 mana planeswalker

no thanks
>>
File: 1386883974155.gif (961KB, 240x180px) Image search: [Google]
1386883974155.gif
961KB, 240x180px
>W-WIZARDS DOESNT SHIFT CARDS TO MYTHIC IF THEY CAME FROM A SET THAT HAD MYTHICS! T-TRUST ME GUYS!
>>
>>51957157
But it has so much potential for awesomeness!
>>
>>51957195
I'm gonna give them a pass for the time being, that is until tomorrow when every single other card in the set is fucking trash
>>
So what happens when everyone remembers this is a limited set run at 10 dollars a pack msrp?
>>
>>51957230
I'm perfectly fine not having T2 Liliana Veils in my life. That shit got old real quick.
>>
>>51957262
I'm more excited at the fact that we will never get fetches in Standard again. Expect to see them jammed in every other supplemental product from here on out to sell the stuff.
>>
The fetches have already filled most of the sets value. Everything else is butter or at worst typical.
>>
File: 98796343666.jpg (79KB, 800x682px) Image search: [Google]
98796343666.jpg
79KB, 800x682px
>yfw they reprint Comet Storm
>>
>>51957487
They already have better comet storm, at least be realistic with ur memes
>>
Threadly reminder.
>>
>>51957505
Yeah, everyone knows
>>
>>51957505
It's shit like this that brings a huge smile to my face when I remember that MTG is getting killed by chinamen and Hearthstone.
>>
>>51956887
Only after we learned the one who pushed for it's reprinting was Stoddard who is higher in the totem pole.
This past year's made it abundantly clear that the problem with the way Magic is being produced is MaRo. Beyer and Forscythe have produced infinitely better sets when they get to lead and Stoddard actually takes criticism of his development mistakes to heart and changes, while MaRo keeps saying "we screwed up" but then refuses to allow change to his sacred NWO color pie. He is the cancer and every product he doesn't get to shove his nose into is actually good.
>>
>>51956998
I miss Ken "New Phyrexia" Nagle at lead design.
MaRo needs to go back to writing shitty sitcoms.
>>
>>51957574
>Ken "Born of the Gods" Nagle
He's very hit and miss
>>
>>51957505
Nobody cares man.

Nobody calculates EV, nobody sees that the print run and store allocations for Masters sets are always insufficient to drop prices enough for people new and old to get into the format.

I sit at my store and try to have a realistic conversation about this. The store owner agrees; it's getting harder and harder to justifying running events when it's just completely not economical to open boxes and players accessing the online market. The sacrifice you have to grow Magic is huge, and it doesn't help that Wizards has not been consistent with its product offerings in the past years - you have casual players coming into the store asking for stuff that existed a year ago but was discontinued, and it's just disappointing.
>>
>>51957293
>Letting DRS ban prevent you from playing liliana on turn 2
Sad
>>
>>51957616
My LGS is getting 24 cases of MM3.
>>
>>51957547
Holy fuck dude you're pathetic
>>
>>51957662
non-DRS mana dorks in jund

laughingfrog.jpg
>>
>>51957699
Who said anything about jund?
>>
>>51957699
>not playing superior abzan
>>
>>51957077
I love the way he riles up neckbeards
>>
>>51957695
Look I know we're the board most open to roleplay but we're trying to talk about MaRo here, not be him.
>>
>>51957141
Yeah, ten year-olds talk about meeting criteria all the time.
>>
>>51957505
>((Rudy)) is one of the most famous Magic youtubers
Truly dark times
>>
>>51957689
These are the 2015 allocation levels:
- 2–3 cases for WPN Core level stores
- 5–6 cases for WPN Advanced level stores
- 9–12 cases for WPN Advanced Plus level stores

That's allocation from Wizards. You can access more from distributors and the distributors are going to charge you way more than Wizards will.

What is your store level and what part of the 24 cases are directly from Wizards?

Here's the deal, even if all 24 cases are from Wizards, it's not enough, it's only 3500 packs. It takes about 400 packs to open a playset of one given Mythic. 200 packs for a playset one given Rare. And it's insufficient to fulfill the demand of established players and potential incoming players.

>>51957546
I don't think Magic is going to actually die even though I see stores struggling to run events all around - it will survive albeit you're not going to get 20+ people regularly showing up to play FNM. Hearthstone didn't so much as take away players as it did create a stepping stone that allows people to start playing a card game then they can move to Magic. Hearthstone also created a segment of the market that didn't exist before - it grew the dollars spent on card games moreso than take away a chunk of Magic's revenues. I think Hearthstone will ultimately help Magic.

Even if Magic has become too expensive, it's been that way for about 7 years. The game itself has grown enough that it can reach out to enough people who are willing to pay way too much money for cardboard and survive by inspiring another new generation to do the same.
>>
>>51957983
Guy who posted >>51957505 here
Literally who?
>>
>>51958016
He's talking about that one faggot speculator on YouTube that always shows off his literal walls of booster boxes in each video.
>>
>>51956805
oh man
i'm glad i shipped my gnarred up copy for 17 bucks now
>>
>>51958001
>I don't think Magic is going to actually die even though I see stores struggling to run events all around - it will survive albeit you're not going to get 20+ people regularly showing up to play FNM
this, I think the bubble is going to burst soon. Magic won't die but a lot of development people are going to get fucked or fired and some actual changes might happen to the way the game is managed, hopefully for the better
>>
>>51958097
I remember people saying this since 2005
>>
so is Lilly of the veil getting reprinted for sure or what
>>
>>51958145
I'm saying like a 80% chance
>>
>>51958097
How will this "bubble" burst? What is going to even burst? The price of cards? The amount of people showing up to events? Amount of sales? How does any of those things even equal to people getting fired? Dumb post.
>>
Any info on how large of a print run this set is going to be?
>>
>>51958190
I heard that even smaller stores are getting massive amounts of booster boxes in the first wave. I don't have any good sources but if that's true we could see some weird shit happen and it might explain why we still see some msrp pre orders.
>>
>>51958190
Enough to lower the price of cards for a minute, just so you can buy 1 playset of 1 card you kind of wanted then everything is twice as high as it was
>>
>>51958097
There's no bubble at least not when it comes to a format like Standard. A bubble implies there is a disconnect between the actual price and the true value. Standard changes too fast for a real bubble to form. There is no mechanism for a Standard bubble to form nor is it likely that players would miraculously dump their shit product all at once to burst said bubble. Everyone knows rotation happens and they dump, that is a built-in bubble exhaust valve.

Absolute worst case Standard and Commander are the only products that remain. And what I was saying is that there's enough people who want to play Magic and will pay the idiotic $400/deck price tag to play Standard. If a player drops $1200 for three decks and various prerelease things a year that's comparable to a cheap golf membership and some gear.
>>
>>51956805
Nice.
>>
>>51958204
Where are these MSRP pre-orders at? All I see are the $200 ones. Should have just bought it when it was $175, fuck.
>>
>>51957547
>Stoddard actually takes criticism of his development mistakes to heart and changes

Stoddard is still shit regardless
Ken Nagle is probably more cancerous though, I dread every set he works on in (of course, MaRo chose him)

Ideally they'd shift MaRo into just "color pie dude" and nothing else
>>
>>51958303
MaRo literally designed innistrad, which is regarded as one of the best sets and yet you autists still hate on him.

Also Nagle is hit or miss
>>
>>51958347
No one will give credit for anything good to MaRo, they'll find someone else to pin it on
>>
>>51958364
That's some impressive mental gymnastics considering he's designed some of the best sets in magic
>innistrad
>zendikar
>mirrodin
>scars of mirrodin
>theros
>khans
>future sight

I have no clue why these people hate MaRo when he obviously know what he's doing, just because he acts as a mouthpiece doesn't make him responsible.
>>
File: ccXSLsj1.jpg (7KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
ccXSLsj1.jpg
7KB, 240x240px
>>51958474
>theros
>>
>>51958474

He literally never offers a genuine response to questions regarding the game's number one problem: the out of control cost. Design choices are another issue.
>>
>>51958474
>just because he acts as a mouthpiece doesn't make him responsible
The mouthpiece takes all the credit AND all the blame.

Nobody else in the company has a dedicated "unofficial" Magic tumblr or podcast doing community outreach.

It's all on him. This is a business decision to have him be the mouthpiece. He's smart enough to not say dumb shit, throw a nugget of apology to the retards, and probably needs minimal oversight or doesn't even need to clear anything with PR or marketing because he is smart enough to not run his mouth.

Anytime someone says MaRo or Wizards the terms are interchangeable. The only difference is that one entity is the mouth of the other.
>>
>>51958474

>these are considered "the best sets in magic"

Most of these sets are just retard-powerful and have several cards banned from various eternal formats.

That's not good design. If people have to ban your cards because their mechanics (Pherixian Mana, Affinity, Jace etc) break the game, you are a bad game designer.
>>
>>51958236
I saw some at 170ish 2 days ago
>>
>>51958532
So who do I blame for NWO so I can blast their twitter on the daily?
>>
>>51958501
Theros the set was fun. Even if limited was just a race to see who could put more +1/+1 counters on dudes with Heroic. It was the other two sets in the block that were terrible.
>>
>>51958545
Phyerxian Mana wasn't a problem except for some exceptions (probe, misstep) according to MaRo but he thew shade a development
>>
>>51958557
Blame MaRo or Wizards. I don't care. And if MaRo deflects that "it's not his department" tell him to fucking own up to the fact he's the mouthpiece and has been working on the game longer than Forsythe, the current head of Magic.

He's the press secretary. He's paid to have his tumblr and his podcast. If he doesn't have the answer he can damn well get it.
>>
>>51958550
Yeah and 2 days ago isn't right now, ding dong.
>>
>>51958582
>dismember
>>
>>51958618
Also a mistake, which I'm surprised hasn't been banned, but then again it's not too insane.
>>
>Ashitmal specter
>They couldn't just give us hippy
>>
>>51958474
http://mtg.gamepedia.com/Mark_Rosewater#Designing
There's a lot bad shit
>>
>>51956704
>I'm pulling out of Anon's mouth. We all know what that means. It's time to drive it into his ass.
>>
>>51957758
Dude, I play Abzan and even I know Jund>>>Abzan.
>>
>>51958347
Richard Gardfield designed Innistrad's mechanics. MaRo designed a couple quirky "flavor" cards and Snapcaster.
>>
>>51958501
Nah man, Theros was the shit. I'm hyped for Amonkhet purely out of my enjoyment of Theros.
>>
>>51958774
Tiago Chan is the person solely responsible for inventing Snapcaster Mage, not MaRo.
>>
>>51958303
The problem isn't MaRo it's development trying to push shit and causing Gideon to be the best white 4 drop in the set and other problems.
>>
>>51958774
Maro didn't design snapcaster, and in fact disagrees with its design.
>>
>>51958774
No, stop trying to take credit away from MaRo just because you don't like him.
>>
>>51958806
Tiago designed a fucking land that could act as a counterspell. MaRo said no and the chinese faggot refused to continue cooperating. If there's something Tiago is responsible for, is there not being any more invitationals afterwards.
>>
>>51958774
DFCs were MaRio's idea iirc.

Also I think this is controversial but I hate cards that are better at a certain color.
>>
>>51958774
>>51958839
The designer of Snapcaster was the tournament winner, and pretty much ALL of RnD, MaRo included, wanted to make it Red, but the tourney winner would not budge on it being Blue
>>
File: abyssalspecter[1].jpg (36KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
abyssalspecter[1].jpg
36KB, 265x370px
>>
>>51958841
Go away lispy kike, Rick did everything right with Innistrad and he doesn't even remember the flavor of the set, while you keep stroking your ego about how amazing Kaladesh is because you like it more than Innistrad.
>>
>>51958859
And considering that most of the flashback giving stuff is Red (Past in Flames for example), I fully agree with Wizards and hate the fucking tourney winner. (though I hate blue to my core, so that feeds into this)
>>
>>51958860
can't complain, great in limited.
>>
>>51958844
The land was his first submission yes, then he came up with Snapcaster Mage when they said no. He still designed it.
>>
>>51958860
Couldn't it have been any of the ones that haven't been printed 10 times already?
>>
>>51956925
He doesn't even have anything to do with creative you goofus.
I guess this proves just how damn good he is at being a scapegoat blamed for literally everything bad about magic.
>>
>>51958859
I knew something was up with Snappy, but I think that it can be something for both colors (Baby Jace)
>>51958883
(Aren't you that one guy who posts here a lot, because I'm getting tired of you.)

Are you talking about Chan?
>>
>>51958806
What the fuck that isn't true either. Tiago wanted a land that could be sacrificed to counter a spell. That was horseshit so they worked with him to design Snapcaster. And who the fuck knows how much input he had. We have no verified statement from Chan about the card and MaRo has stated before he wanted the card to be Red.

They dogfucked fulfilling their obligation to him and he was uncooperative about making it Red. Snapcaster is the result of trying to resolve that last bit of unfinished business from a time nobody at Wizards wants to talk about anymore.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/arcana/saga-snapcaster-mage-2011-10-24

Whatever, we have the fucking card we have. Who cares about the history, it's not like the Invitational is coming back.
>>
>>51958860
I just know I'm going to play this on T4 in limited and my opponent is going to slam down one of the many 3/4 angels of the set right afterwards. It's going to happen.
>>
>>51958859
>Source: My ass
If anything it should be black because of Yawgmoth's Will
>>
>>51958952
>Who cares about the history

The people saying MaRo is a good designer, which he's not.
>>
>>51958117
>2005 MTG
Raffinity was the most traumatic part of my childhood, please use a trigger warning next time.
>>
>>51958968

I think he has his place in design but he really needs not to take colorpie bends and breaks so personally like somebody raped his children to death with a chainsaw.
>>
>>51958860
Blizzard or Nightveil would have been better, Abyssal was already shit the very first time it was printed by Serra Angel and Sengir Vampire bieng 5 drops. And nowadays we have commons that make Serra and Sengir look like limited fodder.
>>
>>51958850
>uncounterable counterspell
>2UU
>uncounterable when Stifle exist
>2UU counter is too strong
>>
>>51959068
?
I meant color hate cards.
>>
>>51959090
Wrong post quoted. That one >>51958952
>>
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/arcana/saga-snapcaster-mage-2011-10-24

Read the fucking card, then discuss the power level. 2UU + Discard.
>>
>>51959168
I'd say it's on par with Karakas in terms of power level
>>
>>51959168
No one cares how OP the land was.
>>
>>
>>51958860
Wait there are TWO Spectres in this set at Uncommon? This is gonna be great, everyone's gonna be on topdeck mode always.
>>
>>51959244
Nice.
>>
>>51959168
Given how color tight you need to be for Legacy the card wouldn't have a mainstream home there. Although I'm sure some Loam deck will find a way to play it.

As for Modern the color tightness is still there but that has more to do with the fact that aggro decks are going to murder you if you stumble so a land that taps for colorless isn't going to hack it because there really isn't a late-game. It's not a tool Control needs. If it tapped for blue that would be another matter.

Card would be good in Standard if countermagic was good. And by "countermagic being good" I mean a metagame there are control decks who want to put countermagic in the sideboard to fight other control decks, like when U/B Control was a thing with Jaces and Grave Titans. We haven't seen a metagame like that for a while. For example right now nobody wants to be casting Cancel even though we got Cancel+Stifle as a card. The last playable Cancel was Dissipate in Innistrad. I don't think Cancel variants were even playable when Blue Devotion was a deck.
>>
>>51959244
Solid rare, they can't keep this up though, any minute they will just release the endless piles of shit, they must, they have to
>>
Switching Snapcaster Mage to mythic is completely predictable bullshit from Wizards, but it's still complete bullshit. I think it's good to keep that in mind. It'll be even worse bullshit if the print run is as small as predicted.

It's like Wizards actively doesn't want people to be able to play with their cards. It's actively anti-player. Obviously I get the monetary incentives. But it seems ludicrous to claim that they're going to be in any danger of not selling enough copies of MM17. They're going to sell as much as they want to. It's not even like they're lacking in chase mythics, what with LotV and probably Goyf again. Snapcaster was printed at rare originally; it's a card that feels rare; the only effect that putting it at mythic is going to have is making it harder for players to get their hands on.

I know it's the kind of bullshit that we've all become completely accustomed to but I still just want to say: it's bullshit
>>
>>51959378
Fuck off snapcaster mage is gay as fuck and should be even rarer than mythic
>>
>>51958001
All Wizards really needs to do to ensure healthy growth is to balance the game better, inhibit power creep, and, most importantly, fix their fucking precons.

A good precon package should not only arm me with a deck that can survive the meta, it should also give me a very good idea, strategy-wise, of how to play the game beyond basic turn structure.

You do that, and let them come to a FNM with a legitimate shot at winning with a $20 precon and you've completely demolished the barrier to entry.
>>
>>51959378
>small print run meme
Anon we've had this discussion
>>
>>51959400
And you've also completely murdered the secondary market which is the only thing which gets shops to open packs which is where all the sales go these days

You retarded kids need to stop thinking like a retarded kid and start thinking like Hasbro Corporation
>>
File: 1487618149685.png (168KB, 619x508px) Image search: [Google]
1487618149685.png
168KB, 619x508px
>>51959387
MASTERPIECE SNAPPY WHEN?
>>
>>51958859
>pretty much ALL of RnD, MaRo included
Literaly pulled out of your ass.
>>
File: 1430792356204.png (32KB, 400x428px) Image search: [Google]
1430792356204.png
32KB, 400x428px
>>51956805
>homie at the lgs finally gets one of these in stock
>someone asks 'hey is that a linvala?'
>he says 'nope!'
>puts it directly into the hold bin with my name on it
>buy it with creds yesterday
>win the modern shop weekly for more creds
>come home tonight
>open the door
>get on the floor
>everybody walk the dinosaur
>>
>>51959494
Not soon enough. Ban when is more accurate for my tastes. Not because it's broken but because it's garbage
>>
>>51959438
I'd rather let cards generate a genuine value by the natural rarity that is created from only players cracking packs, y'know, like how a trading card game is supposed to be. As opposed to letting a bunch of wannabe stock traders buying all the cards and flipping them on us for profit.
>>
>>51959589
And I wish a buncha other cute shit but it ain't going to happen laddy, shops have been cracking packs to resell cards since the moment magic took off
>>
>>51957505

It's not really Collectors and more Investors/Speculators.

Collectors want the full sets, foils, alternative art and so on so they can hold onto them: reprints really don't affect them because they won't sell the cards off. It's the Investors and Speculators that only care about their pieces and cardboard dropping in value.
>>
>>51958844
The land would have been fine which is baffling. It was essentially an uncounterable 2UU counterspell (which has already been printed) that dies to stifle and could be played as a land instead. Pic related. To anyone whinging about snappy, you look me in the eye and tell me his first submission was anything but totally fair.
>>
>>51959638
Fair, but completely unfun to play against.
>>
>>51957077
>awesomeness
fag genocide when?
>>
>>51959638
I'd say it's a little strong but at the end of the day I would've been fine with it.
>>
>>51959572
I sold 10 Rest in Peace to buy six Judge Foil Damnations.
>>
>>51959566
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/23680242486/did-you-ever-consider-making-snapcaster-mage-red
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/90312853438/i-think-snapcaster-mage-breaks-the-color-pie
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/132186324573/youve-mentioned-that-snapcaster-mage-should-have
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/123118597933/youve-said-in-the-past-that-snapcaster-could-have
>>
>>51959566
>>51959859
http://blogatogfaq.tumblr.com/post/100565083287/so-the-thing-that-would-keep-snapcaster-mage-from
>>
>>51958501
>>51958573
>>51958794

The only good mechanic was Devotion and they canned it for tribute
>>
File: da browns.gif (558KB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
da browns.gif
558KB, 300x169px
>>51959921
Fuck, devotion had so much potential.
>>
>>51959921
>>51959939
I still don't get why they didn't just call it Chroma. Literally the same mechanic. While we're on the subject Strive is practically just Multi-kicker.
>>
>>51956704
So, what do you guys think will be the shitty draft fodder rare this time? Because crap like this from MM 2015 sucks.

>Railroading Draft Archetypes
>In an "advanced set" for advanced players
There is a reason why many people state that the first Modern Masters is the best of the bunch
>>
File: dl48_KenNagle.jpg (31KB, 500x378px) Image search: [Google]
dl48_KenNagle.jpg
31KB, 500x378px
>>51956704
>I'm in your card game, fucking it up
>>
>>51960001
Jesus he looks like someone tapped his face for two black mana in the womb
>>
>>51959967
They renamed it devotion for flavor purposes because of the gods.
>>
File: 20170228_232529.png (857KB, 801x1095px) Image search: [Google]
20170228_232529.png
857KB, 801x1095px
Now the Séance joke isn't a joke anymore (LoadingReadyRun spoiler)
>>
>>51959980
This one >>51960030
>>
File: ew.jpg (36KB, 404x248px) Image search: [Google]
ew.jpg
36KB, 404x248px
>>51960041
o joy
a-at least draft will be f-fun, right MARO?
>>
I'm torn on whether to buy the box or not.

Wat do?
>>
>>51960030
Should have been upshifted desu
>>
>>51960109
The way its shaping up, if you crack some lands and a couple good value cards you might break even. If you play EDH there is some definite fodder for EDH decks, and it's possible to get some useful modern cards too
>>
>>51960109
Don't it's a waste of money 90% of the time. What are the odds you get the exact cards you want for the same price you could buy singles for and what is the price you make your money back? Think about that.
>>
>>51956704
More excited with 90% of the Rare than the mythics. And some of the uncommons.
Even if the rest is trash it's too late! It's already an excellent set.
>>
>>51960125
You make a good point, as I play EDH and Modern exclusively.

>>51960128
You also make a good point. Perhaps I should wait until everything is spoiled to make a decision.
>>
>>51960030
>be me
>playing standard in Innistrad/M13/Ravnica times
>opponent plays a T2 ramp into a T3 Trostani
>not quite sure what their plan is
>then out comes the Seance
>"uh sure man. It resolves."
>then comes the Thoughtscours
>then the Armada Wurms and the Armada Wurm tokens.
>oh god stop populating
>stop gaining 20 life every turn
>send help

I know seance is a bad card but that game still haunts me.
>>
>>51959400
I think when it comes to not-Standard balance is a waste of money and resources. The effort required to balance something new against all those cards is not worth your time. Better that the players do the balance for you but remind them that you swing the banhammer with regular frequency. People complained about Eldrazi Winter but I didn't, if someone wants to go all-in they should expect to be kicked in the balls shortly.

The argument against a ban-happy format is that you lose value on your cards. Well, if the cards were available in large quantities to people, they wouldn't have a problem pivoting to another deck. The problem is that very few cards (like Path to Exile or lands) allow you to pivot due to price or the fact that the cards just don't slot into various decks (like Scapeshift).

Precons would fix that certainly. If there was a solid Burn or Affinity precon I think that would be good. And by solid I mean all the expensive shit like Fetches, Moxes, Guide, and Eidolon.

But I also think that a widespread regular printing of Modern Masters product would be even better.

The point is that we're not going to get either: good precons or lots of MM.

If it wasn't for players always craving "new" shit that is just old shit with a fresh coat of paint, I can imagine a world where instead of all the immense time and labor and shipping on stupid cardboard back and forth through singles sales we have players buying something solid like a precon as you say. We cultivate a new standard for attendance fees. I really do feel that players should be paying something like $15-$20 for FNM, it only seems fair.

I'm sure stores compensate for the labor of sorting and pricing cards by the revenues generated by the ridiculous singles market. But you can save all the effort and still make money by having higher attendance fees for FNM and prereleases.
>>
>>51960155
Hold off and observe. Its not like modern masters 1, where there was definite value in the rares and uncommons.
>>
>>51960001
I know MaRo gets a lot of hate but people should really just remind themselves how much this one man has ruined magic.

Set Nagle was Lead on:
Worldwake - prints Jace, the Mind Sculptor
New Phyrexia - Not content with JMS, prints Batterskull to ruin standard, Phyrexian mana spells to ruin modern and Mental Misstep to ruin eternal.
Commander 2011 - Breaks the commander format in half with high powered commanders for a casual, unsupported game type.
RTR - Does fine here, Ravinca is hard to fuck up
Born to the Gods - Replaces the loved Devotion mechanic with Tribute, the lowest rated mechanic in the history of magic.
Fate Reforged - Destroys both the wonderful KTK draft format and the future DTK format with unbeatable rares.
Eldritch Moon - pushes hard for Meld, a mechanic so stupid they only put it on 3 cards.
>>
>>51960232
Meld is on six cards.
>>
File: crap.jpg (68KB, 277x401px) Image search: [Google]
crap.jpg
68KB, 277x401px
>>51960232
He was also the brainchild for this dud. Even MaRo could not defend it with his BS
>Just because you don't like it, it doesn't make it untradeable
>No one uses it, not even the johnniest of the johnnies or the timmies and their alternate win conditions
>>
>>51959967
A lot of mechanics are some variant of kicker because kicker is so universal
>>
>>51960308
I've seen about 100 custom cards better than this piece of shit. CUSTOM CARDS.
>>
>>51960109
If you phantom draft the packs with some friends you'll get a lot more out of the price of the box. Beyond that, though, there are plenty of EDH staples to go around and there's already a ton of value in announced rares/uncommons/foils. You'll likely break even.
>>
>>51959967
>>51960310

Kicker ripoffs are some of my least favorite mechanics. MulitKicker and Overload are OK, but the rest are trash
>>
>>51960326
Alternate win condition cards aren't supposed to be good.

Speaking of custom cards still waiting for the day wizards makes a 1-mana Sorcery, counter target spell and draw two cards.
>>
>>51959967
The perception that something is new is what sells things to a lot of people. Even though the base product is the same or the differences are not discernible, all you have to do it simply tell people that it's "new".

You can convince people something is new just by giving it another name. Or just changing the color. People just don't want something old, whether it be a car or clothes or Magic cards.

Kicker could return in every block but some people (i.e. idiots) would find that boring. They want to build around Strive, Exploit, Evoke even though they're all essentially Kicker. It's like people who scream for Tribal lords. They're just all people with +1/+1 but because it's a different tribe, the different flavor, they don't think it's the same shit. I'm almost certain people hate Merfolk as a tribal deck simply because it's blue and fish-people isn't as cool as... anything else. But if you gave zombies the exact same cards and replaced Islandwalk with Swampwalk, well, then suddenly it's a new deck when from a design perspective, it's really not.

I really do feel that in Magic they're running out of design space. But at the same time, I think innovations like Planeswalkers, touching exile as a super-graveyard, and resource-based mechanics like Energy are brilliant and could add so much to the game if they didn't make them reckless value-engines in the case of Planeswalkers or abandon the mechanic to parasitic-hell like Eldrazi-Processor effects and Kaladesh Energy.

It makes me really sad that Energy won't just be a solid evergreen mechanic like Kicker unofficially is. And there is so much space you can explore with meddling in the Exile zone.
>>
File: kek.jpg (70KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
70KB, 1920x1080px
>>51956805

>amazing stats for cost
>no fucking drawbacks

what the literal fuck
>>
>>51960144
>this little spoiled
>Excellent set
>judging it on rares and mythics, i.e. the things you will see the least
>judging based off how expensive these chase cards are and not on how the set plays out/limited environment/draft caliber/ or overall complexity
I bet you said the same thing about MM2015, and that makes me a bit upset, given that this is always said before spoilers and it is always wrong
>>
>>51960172
>seance
>still haunts me

I chuckled
>>
>>51960308
This thing is actually easy to win with, problem is, it's so fucking boring.
>>
>>51960395
>touching Exile as a super-graveyard
No. Please never ever do this. Yu-Gi-Oh did this, and now their "exile" is just a 4th Hand, like their GY is their 2nd Hand and the Extra Deck is their 3rd.
Also, MaRo has repeatedly stated they're never going to do this, and that they want exile to remain a permanent removal zone, and not just a 2nd GY by a different name.
>>
>>51960483
>easy to win with

Yeah. Maybe in kitchen-table casual where your opponent just sits there doing nothing.
>>
>>51960483
I'm not a fan of all-in strategies with only 4 damn, identical cards that you cannot mismanage or get hit with removal!
>>
>blue/white fliers will once again be a draft archetype
>>
>>51960528
We are constantly fucking with the Exile zone. Suspend, Misthollow Griffin, Eternal Scourge, a bunch of these one-off effects. Maybe it's not fair to invoke Suspend given that Wizards and MaRo has shit-talked Time Spiral so hard.

But MaRo can suck a dick. If he wanted to be consistent we never would have gone there with the Eldrazi.

I understand wanting to leave the Exile zone alone so we don't fuck it up by being the 2nd hand or 2nd graveyard like you say. So I can walk back from pushing it; I'm just annoyed that we went there at all with the processors only to be told that it was a one-off thing. We could have processing interact with suspend, introduce super-proliferate to work with suspend, something nice like that.

God, now I'm pissed that proliferate isn't a common thing - we have to wait until we return to the blasted shithole of Mirrodin for that. They kinda went back to it with Maulfist Revolutionary but that was it.
>>
>>51960600
How bad do you have to be to mismanage it? Even if they get rid of it oh boy they just helped you get it to the yard. Already got one in the yard? Good now delve it away for some cheaper shit that will help you stay alive until you can draw the other two.
>>
>>51960731
Yea, I'm also really upset that recently they've been fucking up with not giving certain mechanics enough space to work out.
Ingest and Processing being in only one set instead of both (and Processor being a creature type, that was pointless), in Tarkir there was no continuity in mechanics and the ones in Dragons got completely shafted with a single set, in Theros (the "more than just enchantments matter - it's full Enchantment Block") they didn't even start using Constellation until the second set and they really under-used Devotion, Origins had the really neat Spell Mastery that never made a return, it's just such a trainwreck recently.
Not to mention the shift to 0 core sets and 2 set blocks, the Jacetice League led by Jace "Wizard's Lightning" the Gary Stu, and the complete squandering of the Eldrazi by having Chan-dere deus-ex-machina them dead when lore-wise it's completely impossible to do what they did.

God I hate Wizards more and more every set.
>>
>>51960731
>proliferate
I adore this mechanic and pray every day that it is revisited.
>>
>>51956830
>He hates that card so much he wishes he could tear up every copy of the card personally.
That's not true at all. Maro has said that Damnation is fine in black. It was Zvi who disliked the card and worked against putting it in Planar Chaos because he thought it removed any incentive to build WU Control decks over the UB variant.
>>
>>51960552
I bet you can build a Modern deck that beats non-Tron Tier 1s with this combo. It really isn't that hard to play draw-go when you don't have to win with creatures/walkers yourself.
I bet such deck won't be abe to put more than one round in 50 minutes tho.
>>
>>51960453
Because thats what mythics are today, friend :)

Under-costed, hyper-efficient threats with tons of fun keywords and abilities!! Gotta sell packs somehow.
>>
>>51960308
>>51960836
I mean, I don't like the card much, but I can imagine a few ways a WU, UB, or WUB deck could do this with control support.
White can tutor them up, exile and destroy your own, so just play 3 and exile 1, destroy another, have a third out and a 4th in hand.
Blue can draw them up and help keep you safe with control.
Black can also tutor them up, and even things like Surgical Extraction or Lost Legacy or Stain the Mind or Memoricide or Secret Salvage on yourself to exile one, since you can target the one in your own grave and exile "any number" (so just 1)
>>
>>51960795
>I'm also really upset that recently they've been fucking up with not giving certain mechanics enough space to work out
Maro mentioned exactly this in his State of Design article after SoI block was completed. They are no longer going to remove keywords that were in the first set from the second because it only makes players unhappy and causes the limited format pre- and post-second set to play too differently.
>>
>>51960795
It's the only reason I have actually liked the shift to two-set blocks. BFZ block which was originally meant to have three sets, and every block before, squandered up mechanics because they were pretty much just an excuse. Devotion wouln't have been competitive without Ravnica's hard on on colored mana costs, and even then one of the most powerful set mechanics we've had since Affinity met it's match with the usual collection of blue and white control cards led by Elspeth.

Now mechanics-based decks are actually showing up and dominating, and while I can think of at least a dozen more cards I'd like to have with Delve, Devotion, Constellation, Evolve, Extort, Morbid and Battle Cry, not to mention "Loners" and Curses. I can't think of much more that could have been done with Delirium, Crew or Revolt that wouldn't have been outright power creep for the sake of making more cards.
>>
>>51960795
Them killing Ulamog and Kozilek really pissed me off
>>
>>51960795
Exactly. Every time I see a mechanic that I feel is really interesting and could have synergies with a lot of things I realize, "well, they're going to just abandon it after this set/block and bring it back in ten years and everyone's going to suck their dick for it".

There's no point in being excited. For maybe a solid week I was just creaming myself over Energy thinking about it - I was legitimately excited for Aether Revolt. Then I came to the terrible conclusion that Energy was just going to be Arcane all over again. And when Aether Revolt finally came out I felt nothing because I knew that was the last I would see of that symbol for a real fucking long time and the excuse MaRo was going to feed me was, "well, Energy is just part of the flavor of the block, and we can't have that shit elsewhere oh no sir". And not only that, but they fucking had this opportunity to bring back Kithkin but instead opted to make Dwarves and Aetherwhatever, another two fucking parasitic tribes.

I'm a Cube guy, I constantly am looking for synergies and there just isn't a lot to work with that you can use as a foundation mechanic to anchor something that hasn't already been done (i.e. artifacts). Really, the only shit that you can really go deep on in all colors that isn't a card type is: humans and +1/+1 counters. That's IT. All the other mechanics are just too shallow to fill even a 360 card Cube. When you do a search for Proliferate or a mechanic like Constellation or Rally you just ask yourself why the fuck they even bothered or why they even bothered to declare Prowess evergreen when they're not even trying to do anything with it in Limited. They didn't even do anything innovative with Landfall this time around either. It's just the same shit as before.

Everyone just wants new shit and to toss it away after they're done only to move on to the other new shit not caring the old shit still has room to grow.
>>
File: IMG_0315.jpg (50KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0315.jpg
50KB, 265x370px
>Modern Masters
>>
>>51961144
There are few cards as infuriating as this one in Limited. It's so easy to get to the point where 2 Air Elementals for 7 or 3 of them for 9 is just going to get you there. Oh wait, there's also Bonfire and Comet Storm. And Pack Rat and Drana but these guys weren't reprinted in Masters.

I look at the people who are excited to draft this and wonder what the fuck is wrong with them, besides the fact they're paying $10 per booster.
>>
Threadly reminder that Damnation was originally created solely to sell Planar Chaos.
>>
>>51960155
We'll if you're buying to draft with your friends there's definitely value there. If you want to make money off the box you'll need to act fast, selling preferably in weeks 1-3. If you want singles just wait a month after the set hits.
>>
>>51961184
Bonfire of the Damned is in MM17 mate.
>>
>>51961201
Ironically the color pie that was the pushed-est from Alpha to M10 is now probably the worst.
When was the last time UB anything won anything? Hell it doesn't even have any good Commanders. And MaRo justifies this by saying it's the "hardest color pie to design cards for". The fuck it isn't, the problem is that what U and B have in common is making Timmy cry and there's no bigger Timmy than Mark "I dream of everyone playing Craw Wurm in competitive Magic" Rosewater.
>>
>Set has Linvala, Snaps, Damnation, enemy fetches and a bunch of other needed reprints.
>Set also has Seance

I want to get off WOTC's wild ride,
>>
Seance!?

WHY
>>
Do i need Eidolon for a mono red burn deck? Or can i get by with the now reprinted Goblin Guide?
>>
>>51961308
You need eidolon
>>
>>51961308
Both, honestly.
>>
>>51961144
This really is shaping up to be Legacy Masters between Enemy Fetches, Snapcaster and all the Miracles.
>>
>>51961308
Goblin Guide and Eidolon are pretty much non-negotiable man.

You can replace Lightning Bolt with Incinerate or Lava Spike with Searing Spear or the Swiftspears with anything else. But you can't fuck with the Eidolons or Goblin Guides. They represent too much damage, namely they can represent 6 damage whereas all the others are whatever.

If you want, you can try Satyr Fireslinger, which was fine before Eidolon was printed.
>>
>>51961315
>>51961329
>>51961351
I am just getting into magic. Fuck is this game expensive. I currently am using the net decked Red Deck Wins from MTG Gold Fish. So Eidolon is a must? Do you guys think his price will go down? Also how much is Goblin Guide gonna be when it comes out? I am expecting it to be around $3 or so, but don't know how MTG reprints work since I am primarily a Yu-Gi-Oh player.
>>
>>51961401
I dunno really but I do know that goyf got reprinted and it's still really expensive
>>
I actually made a thing:
>In Legacy, how many post NWO cards of this color see play in the top 5 decks that run this color?
White: 17
Blue: 9
Black: 10
Red: 12
Green: 14

Considering 4 of black's cards are also green, the Selesnia brainwash in post NWO Magic is very evident.
>>
>>51961401
>I am expecting it to be around $3 or so

AH HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>51961401
Give Satyr Firedancer a try man. It's no more than $1.00/piece. Just remember that it sometimes costs 3-mana. 2 to cast, 1 to make sure you burn something with it.

Burn plays very linearly. Given that you're starting out I wouldn't even buy the Goblin Guides or Eidolons. Just jam more burn spells. The ultimate conclusion you'll reach whether or not you have Guide or Eidolon is that Burn gets pretty fucking boring real quick and it's better that you got a taste of the format using substitutes than spending whatever ridiculous amount of money on actual Burn. And if you want to get better-burn then you can upgrade to Guides and Eidolons.
>>
>>51961401
>I am expecting it to be around $3 or so
Anon...

It was $50 a pop not too long ago
>>
>>51961401
Rare reprints of expensive staples in non-Standard sets, like this, usually shave off 30-60% off the prize, not more or less.
And Eidolon is already rising in price because:
a) It is absolutely vital to winning with RDW.
b) Magic "economists" function like so: "If a reprint makes a popular deck accessible you must buyout the pieces that weren't reprinted to keep it inaccessible". Which is happening right now.

I'd buy Eidolons right now before they keep hiking and Goblin Guides next month when they'll be at their lowest. The good thing about RDW/Burn is that almost the exact same list lets you play both in Modern and Legacy and it's a deck that once you master it will make you a lot of prize money on smaller tournaments of either format.
>>
>>51961401
If you are on a budget then the first thing you have to upgrade is a playset of Monastery Swiftspears.

Eidolon is probably not going to get reprinted until the next modern masters. Thats if we get one. Id suggest grabbing a playset soon. Its not that expensive.

Guide will probably be $15 at the very lowest. Sorry m8.
>>
>>51961304
Between this and Damnation I suspect the answer is "To meme us out."
>>
>>51961184
A lot the cards seem very powerful, and im not talking about the rares, but the uncommons. Plus its a mythic so its almost never going to happen to you. Im excited to draft this set.
>>
>>51961531
Well they did admit we pretty much only got Damnation because Kek wills it.
>>
>>51958761
>being this wrong
>>
>>51958860
>not hypnotic spectre

whyyyy
>>
>>51961675
>at random
They're faggots like that now.
>>
>>51961401
>>51961440
>>51961454
>>51961496

I know that I got too deep into the magic game when I see someone saying a piece of cardboard might be $3 and laughing my ass off, or seeing it at $15 and being totally pumped to buy 4.
>>
>>51961776
one of us
one of us
>>
>>51961434
>blue the lowest

maro.jpg
>>
>>51961434
Selesnya was Dimir the whole time. Seizing power in total secrecy.
>>
>>51961292
Pretty accurate

Right now black is just stapled to other colors and it's fucking painful

Black only exists with green to make additional timmy counters on your cool timmy creatures to turn sideways

and it's role in "mardu" vehicles is essentially one BR spell and fatal push and that's it

I think it was in Pro Tour dublin there was like 2 decks that even used blue in the top 32 and none of them made it to top 8?
>>
>>51961776
We are happy. Thats what matters, r-right?
>>
>>51960854
My favorite instance of this is the green gearhulk

Literally just a 8/8 stats for 5 mana but the "epic and mythic" complexity about it is that it can spread the counters. Which is literally just a common ability, it's on Seedsculpter for fucks sake. But because it's undercosted and good for competitive we might as well make it mythic.
>>
>>51961434
Selesnya is the creature color and theyve been pushing creatures a lot since they figured out that pushing blue and black (combo colors) is a bit too dangerous sometimes.

I hate selesnya btw
>>
>>51961915
>>51961292
Pro tour kaladesh was won by grixis control.
>>
>>51961965
>pushing blue and black (combo colors) is a bit too dangerous sometimes.

I can't even recall a single instance of this being true since like fucking combo winter.

WOTC just figured out that timmies like to play the cool green monster and turn him sideways and counterspells and doomblades make timmy feel bad
>>
>>51961996
Yeah Grixis Control was really popular and good before and after that event

Oh wait it was the total opposite and it was just a random meta-call
>>
>>51962007
I worded that really poorly. I agree with you. The reason why they dont release good dimir cards is because players dont like playing against them

Does grixis control in modern play Kalitas? If not then why not? It seems like it should
>>
>>51962064
Sideboard sometimes
>>
>>51961915
>Black fucks people up in 1993 with Necropotence
>Is hated the fuck out the next couple blocks until it's irrelevant
>Black fucks people up in 2007 with Faeries
>Is hated the fuck out the next couple blocks until it's irrelevant
>Black fucks people up in 20013 with Devotion
>Is hated the fuck out thenext couple blocks until it's irrelevant

There doesn't seem to be a middle ground with black and I think it has the most to do with how much fucking emphasis they put on it's strenght ("anything" for a price) and it's weakness (can't touch artifacts or enchantments ever).

Gee WotC, why don't you try have medium-strong cards and some little ways around it's weakness like every other color has instead of nerfing it the fuck up until you absolutely have to push it again and end up with a Dark Confidant, Lilly of the Veil, Pack Rat or Gray Merchant of Asphodel?
>>
>>51961965
>>51962007
Thankfully, from Stoddard's Twitter, him and MaRo had a stern talk with daddy Hasbro about their creature/walker fetish and were asked to reintroduce strong answers to their design philosophy ASAP.

Not so thankfully, the earliest we'll see this reflected is Conquest of Power.
>>
The question is what's gonna spike when MM3 hits? My bet is Hierarch, Cavern of Souls, Vial, and Scapeshift.
>>
>>51962171
I dunno man, there's a nagging feeling on my mind that we might see some strong burn, kill, and counter spells in Amonkhet.

I blame Bolas's presence.
>>
>>51962176
Cavern is a likely reprint
>>
I'm actually going to buy goblin guides now.

Feels good man
>>
>>51962214
Same. Avoided it for years
>>
>>51962242
They play real real sweet online, but I just couldn't bring myself to carry two hundred bucks in cardboard around in a red deck
>>
>>51962265
Yeah, i had them online until recently too. Picked up for about 5 tickets a piece. Have been around the $40 mark for ages. Could mever justify that for something that was so in need of a reprint
>>
File: 1482734538657.png (499KB, 449x642px) Image search: [Google]
1482734538657.png
499KB, 449x642px
GUESSING REMAINING CARDS TIME

>Cavern of Souls - M
>Liliana of the Veil - M
>Thundermaw Hellkite - M
>Craterhoof Behemoth - M
>Voice of Resurgence - M
>Sedris, the Traitor King - R
>Kresh the Bloodbraided - R
>Serum Visions - U
>Utopia Sprawl - C
>Chromatic Star - C
>>
>>51962298
I still refuse to believe Liliana is getting a reprint. Wizards isn't THAT nice to Eternal players.
>>
>>51962298
For some reason I thought Kresh was a commander original card
>>
>>51962176
All of them but the ones that get reprinted. After all this multicolor/shard theme itd be nice if they included Hierarch
>>
>>51962310
How could they have a card like Lilly in the set and not have it on the box/boosters?
>>
>>51962310
It's either Goyf or Liliana. Not both. My money is on her.
>>
>>51962298
Cavern would be rare
Serum visions could be
If they reprinted sprawl, which i doubt, it would be uncommon
Craterhoof and Voice fit the archetype, so lets hope
I have a feeling that we are going to see Liliana reprinted in new art
>>
>>51962352
Caverns could by mythic, they clearly don't give a shit about upshifting. We don't have any mythic lands in the set yet either.
>>
>>51962298
8/15 Mythics remaining
>Liliana of the Veil
>Thundermaw Hellkite
>Craterhoof Behemoth
>Tarmogoyf
>Voice of Resurgence
>Sen Triplets
>Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker
>Ensnaring Bridge
>>
>>51962393
>Ensnaring Bridge
This would really push MaRo over the edge.
>>
>>51962393
>bridge
Not bloody likely (but I'd be happy)
>>
>>51962352
Sprawl would be fine at common in this product, and it helps the shard subtheme. Maybe even Bloom Tender could appear.
>>
>>51962393
>Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker
>When we're getting him in Amonkhet block
>>
>>51962415
>Getting the "original" Nicol Bolas pw in Amonkhet.
>>
>>51962298
I want some downshifted card to common.
>>
>>51959638
Yeah man, I just love the thought of Life From the Loam Counterspell spam.
>>
>>51962484
lili at common
>>
>>51962393
You know what, I could genuinely use a Sen Triplets reprint.
>>
>>51958474
original innistrad was the last decent set.
>>
>>51960030
>(LoadingReadyRun spoiler)
Bitch, who cares which cuckshill is spoiling whatever shit?
>>
>>51962298
My fingers are crossed for Blood Moon at rare.
>>
>Blood Moon R
>Lili M
>Cavern R
>Voice M
>Scapeshift M
>>
>>51956830
You forgit
>dredge is still good
His shoelaces and belt have been confiscated
>>
>>51962484
Same
Muh pauper got memed by nwo.
I need burning vengeance or bombard ment at common reee.
>>
File: reddit.png (220KB, 722x348px) Image search: [Google]
reddit.png
220KB, 722x348px
>decide to visit Reddit to see if they have anything for spoilers
>immediately see this
>360 degrees and walk away
>>
>>51962298

>>Cavern of Souls - M
>M

No

Also Grove of the Burnwillows/Horizon Canopy fucking when?
>>
>>51963446
When we get the full cycles of each kind of Future Sight dual
>>
>>51959777
---RiP---
>>
>>51959378
>It's like Wizards actively doesn't want people to be able to play

In Wizard's ideal world, people would all be Rudys. We would buy, sell and trade unopened booster boxes, be pretty oblivious to the actual game and would use terms like "EV" and "liquidity".
>>
>>51962171
>
Thankfully, from Stoddard's Twitter, him and MaRo had a stern talk with daddy Hasbro about their creature/walker fetish and were asked to reintroduce strong answers to their design philosophy ASAP.
Link?
>>
>>51960775
because there is no delve in standard, and in standard someone will just go "I cast lost legacy, resolves? okay I name Hedron Alignment"
>>
>>51959859
>>51959874
Ah, so he heavily misrepresented a few comments.
>>
>>51963316
>going to reddit
>to the circlejerk which is being outjerked by WotC right now
>>
>>51962298
I want to say doubling season at mythic
>>
>>51961401
Buy fakes or die
>>
File: 1478615152457.jpg (743KB, 1200x793px) Image search: [Google]
1478615152457.jpg
743KB, 1200x793px
>>51961292
>Oona
>Not a good commander
>>
File: pyro.jpg (32KB, 339x476px) Image search: [Google]
pyro.jpg
32KB, 339x476px
>>
File: C51gGsuWUAEQa1S.png (161KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
C51gGsuWUAEQa1S.png
161KB, 265x370px
>>
Rev
>>
>>51963446
>235 Golgari Guildgate
>236 Gruul Guildgate
>237 Izzet Guildgate

Maybe next time
>>
>>51963970
Oona is a strictly worse Tasigur. Going infinite wins the game with either, but Tasigur costs less mana and gives you green.
>>
>>51962366
I still dont believe they would do that. there is literally zero indications that there is tribal support in the set. heck, i even doubt cavern is in
>>
>>51964008
and they said they didnt like memes
>>
>>51964162
>Implying you ever run more than 17 lands in draft
>17 mana minus WUU = 14
>Can't Rev for 15 in limited
>>
>>51964151
The lack of tribal support could be an indicative of, if Cavern is in the set, it would be Mythic instead of rare.
>>
>>51964176
why would they ever fuck someone up by giving them a useless mythic in draft?
>>
>>51964208
They could pull this logic up, they did it once. Why would a useless in limited 'uncommon/rare' take a spot of a draft-like card?

If there is no support for tribal in draft, they can argue that Cavern would be a 'bad rare in draft'. So instead of it taking place of a bomb, they upshift it for Mythic.

Remember that WotC can and will use any kind of logic wrap to defend it decisions based in Limited or player excitation.
>>
I'm new to MtG

I used to play Yugioh as a kid and one of my favourite things to do was buy booster packs but /tg/ says that's cancer and not to ever buy sealed products.

What should I be doing first?
>>
>>51964131
Oona requires less set up and wins by herself with infinite mana.

Tasigur needs another uninterrupted infinite combo to win.
>>
>>51964341
Buy sealed product. You have to start somewhere to build your collection. Pick up some duel decks. They contain decent value and that's how I started my own collection. After a certain point though, you'll want to start picking up singles.
>>
>>51964341
If you have fun opening packs then crack some packs and have some fun man.
>>
>>51964341
If you enjoy cracking packs, play draft. It's pretty close in price to just buying the packs, and lets you play a fun tournament with some prizes as a bonus. It'll also give you some exposure to some more off-the-wall interactions and cards, and can help you build your preferences in playstyle, which helps when selecting a constructed deck to build and even when trying to brew one of your own. If all you're trying to do is make a constructed deck, though, packs are a complete waste of money.
>>
>>51964341
play sealed

You don't know whether or not you'll like the game, so you'll want to test it out. You probably don't know which format you want to play, so there's no point in shelling out $500-$1000 for a constructed deck
>>
>>51962020

Blue is fine right now it just happens to matchup poorly with the extremely pushed vehicles aggro deck
>>
>>51964169
Not with that attitude. Just play 60 card esper control with that sweet damnation you pulled in the second pack
>>
>>51964376
All you need is a Palinchron and another combo piece in either case. Tasigur has the benefit of Tooth and Nail.
>>
>>51964384

>Buy sealed product

End yourself, buying sealed is a scam on every level with the sole exception of Commander Precons.

>>51964341

Absolutely never ever buy sealed.

The best way to get in would be to brush up on the rules on the internet and then attend some limited events, drafts and sealed.

Then if you wanna get started with constructed, look around the internet some more, find a deck you think looks fun and which doesn't cost a fortune, then buy the singles specifically for that deck.
>>
>>51961434

Now try pre NWO, white and green are literally unplayable
>>
File: 1427083157966.png (908KB, 700x775px) Image search: [Google]
1427083157966.png
908KB, 700x775px
>>51964423
>End yourself, buying sealed is a scam on every level
>Absolutely never ever buy sealed
> attend some limited events, drafts and sealed
>>
>>51964453

>Attending events where you get several hours of play out of a few packs is the same as buying a bunch of packs and ending up with a pile of card you can't play with because they don't add up to a constructed deck and you already cracked and thus can't play limited with.
>>
>>51959733
I actually like that tumblr level circlejerk bullshit with one on one conversations with actual people who don't have an incentive to fuck me over, but I'd definitely support murdering all public relations lizard 'people' who pretend in any way to be real humans.
>>
>>51964423
>buying sealed is a scam on every level with the sole exception of Commander Precons.
Factually incorrect. More especially if you don't have a goddamn collection you knuckle dragger.
>>
>>51956704
Will this be usable in standard?
>>
>>51964497

Of course not
>>
What's the cheapest modern deck that's fairly reliable?
>>
>>51964478

Why in unholy fuck would a brand new player be interested in a collection of bulk and trade fodder for a game they're not even sure they want to get invested in your retard?

What they need is a decently playable deck that they can sit down with people at their game store and play with. Note that Duel decks don't fit this criteria as they cannot compete with even the most budgety of budget brews and can only provide any degree of play if paired up against each other. Losing over and over because you were scamming into buying a pile of bulk disguised as a real deck is not a fun new-player experience.
>>
>>51964521
Okay, I'm that retarded noob you speak of. What's a good decklist for me to buy? I know I want into the hobby just not where tl start

I just want something to have fun with not necessarily competitive
>>
>>51964521
Ease off the gas padre. Perhaps you've forgotten what it's like to be a cardless noob. Or else you don't understand that not everyone is introduced to the game the same way you were.

A decently playable deck is relative and duel decks do fit that criteria if you have a good mentor or a welcoming playgroup.
>>
>>51964500
darnit
>>
>>51964384
>After a certain point though, you'll want to start picking up singles.

That point being five minutes before you buy your first Duel Deck.

To the first anon, go on cockatrice, build decks you think you might enjoy. Play them online. Buy the singles you need to build those decks.
>>
>>51964497
Standardshitters can't even handle the roflcopter and newmrakul, they would have a mental breakdown trying to use these cards.
>>
>>51964555
Play draft friend. Tell peeps your new and most, I'm sure, would be happy to tutor you. You also get to keep the cards you drafted and the environment is more on an even playing field as you all draw from the same pool.
>>
File: IMG_0045.png (1009KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0045.png
1009KB, 750x1334px
>only 1 good mythic so far
Lol, also can someone else make the new thread this time?
>>
>>51964600
Meant for >>51964580
>>
>>51964548
Try Modern Soul Sisters. It's not competitive, but it's a fun and cheap deck. Burn is usually the standard deck for new players tho
>>
>>51964548

You have to find a playgroup so to speak, even if that's just the regulars at your LGS, you need to ask them (or maybe some /tg/ friends) what format they play to know what kind of initial deck to invest in

My friends who introduced me to magic play edh exclusively, and I was able to buy my first deck for about $100 including a playmat, deckbox, and sleeves

Edh is the easiest to get into because of the precon decks, you can get one of those, a playmat, deckbox, and sleeves for only like $60 total

If your friends play standard, you can get a playable deck for fairly cheap, it will be hard to compete with heart of Kiran, Gideons, and walking ballistae, but you can have some fun games with them.

For standard you can google budget deck archetypes and try to build one of those, or you can try your hand at deck building by going through the standard legal cards on gatherer or something, and come up with a customized list. You will suck cuz you're a noob but it could be a lot of fun and a great learning experience regardless
>>
>>51964497
Remember the guys that rode the short bus to school and spent their days drooling and screaming at the special ed people?

Those are the same people that actually enjoy playing today's standard.

Don't be that people.
>>
>>51964548

There's several fun and decently competitive decks for standard right now that can be had on the cheap.

You can find a lot of them here: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/aether-revolt-budget-magic-updates

Searching up the individual deck names on youtube will also bring up videos of a deck tech explaining the deck and a couple of matches of it being played.
>>
File: Luis of the Veil.png (130KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Luis of the Veil.png
130KB, 223x310px
>>
>>51964341
what you do is download Magic Duels and play it to get a grip of the game.

Watch coverage/gameplay of different formats so you can get acquainted with them. Best for a starter are Standard and Modern. Maybe EDH/Commander too but usually you dont want to go there unless you know the game quiet a bit.

Go to a prerelease or a draft at your local LGS. This is great because the environment is the friendliest and most casual and you get to build a collection while you practice deckbuilding and play the game.

If you want to buy boosters then go for it but it is a waste of money because most of the cards in the sets have literally no use outside of limited formats (sealed and draft) unless you are playing very casual kitchen table mtg.
>>
>no one ever predicts scapeshift
literally never been reprinted
>>
>>51964600
And then one day you'll realize you have spent $500 playing draft and cannot construct a single, viable standard deck so you still cannot play anything other than draft. And then, sets rotate and you have spent $500 on coasters.

Nice plan, Field Marshall Rommel
>>
>>51964341
I would recommend Forge and some beginner's guide along the game.
>>
>>51964622
I guess I'll play draft then.
What's wrong with standard?
>>
>>51959576
Well if you're lucky they'll ban it a few months after the reprint, in honor of Splinter Twin.
>>
>>51964641
Magic Duels is great to learn how to play. After that, i would recommend buying a MTGO account and spend your New Player Points playing Standard Draft. After that, use your 5 tix to buy a Pauper deck and play some games. After that you probably will have some knowledge of the game, so find the formats your lgs play and start building your deck.
>>
>>51964678
its actually not that bad. its just oldfags complaining because power level is not what it used to be. the worst thing about standard is losing a bunch of value because of continuous rotation of blocks.

>>51964641
youre paying $15 to spend like 4 hours playing with the upside of maybe getting a good card you can use in a constructed deck. $15 that you couldve spent in two drinks, at the movies or a meal. I see nothing wrong.
>>
>>51964632
But isn't a new set coming out?
>>
>>51964507
Either Merfolk or Titanshift? Willlld guess here.
>>
>>51964644
I could see it as a mythic
>>
>>51964735

Not for another 2 months and these decks will still be perfectly functional by the time the next set releases.

And if you get a good amount of play in during that time you will have a much better grasp on your feeling on the game and what kind of stuff you wanna play.
>>
>>51964678
Standard is format where sets rotate out so you will need to constantly swap cards and at the worst you will have to throw your deck away and none of the cards you have used will have any value ever again.

It's also not as challenging as eternal formats (which as the name suggests never rotate out but get the influx of new cards from new sets) and in all honestly it's purely watered down mtg.
>>
>>51964759
Merfolk was great but fatal push raped it hard, I've seen U/G merfolk list that plays heroic intervention and CoCo and that should easily avoid the problem.
>>
>>51964823
Lol, really? Doesn't Merfolk just use Cursecatcher and Spell Pierce and whatever to negate spells?
>>
>>51964863
I'm not sure if you people are retarded or what, fatal push and lighting bolt both cost 1 mana, curse catcher makes it cost 1 more generic mana and spell pierce 2, those conditional counterspells are not going to work and never worked well against 1 mana spells and the bigger problem now is that fatal push among lighting bolt/path offer 8 removal spells for your 8 good lords, there's an extra 1-3 at 3 mana but those are generally sideboarded out.
>>
>>51963693
>playing standard

There's your problem.
>>
File: C512OaRXMAASl0D.png (175KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
C512OaRXMAASl0D.png
175KB, 265x370px
>>
>>51964919
>"Death's Shadow won't be banned" confirmed
>>
>>51964919
Great reprint.
>>
>>51964930
>Splinter twin? What's that?
>>
File: Image.png (127KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image.png
127KB, 223x311px
>>51964930

Ooookay, then.
>>
>>51959967
Because it's it's not exactly the same thing. Chroma is the symbols on cards from your hand.
>>
NEW THREAD HERE

>>51965021
>>51965021
>>51965021

NEW THREAD HERE
>>
>>51961068
Energy can come back in another set. It's why the energy symbol is generic.

>Dwarfs and Aetherborn are parasitic
>>
>>51964919
>was literally just thinking of buying a playset last night

THANK YOU WIZARDS, TRULY YOU ARE MY GREATEST ALLY.

>>51965033
This is /tg/ we don't need new threads immediately when we reach the bump limit.
>>
>>51961434
Why do you people say it's NWO behind this when NWO is just common complexity? At least say modern design or something.
>>
>>51960243
They only meld into 3 cards tho.
I actually like them flavor-wise
>>
>>51964548
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmIoFR0gAw8
>>
>>51964131
While Tasigur is better, Oona isn't bad.
>>
>>51962534
>Return to Ravnica wasn't good

Fight me.
>>
File: IMG_1061.jpg (51KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1061.jpg
51KB, 265x370px
Thread posts: 342
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.