[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT -- huge fuckups youve made

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

> being level 6 to 9 in 3.5
> campaign started in 4e but around level 4 or 5 we back-converted to 3.5 because I introduced them to it and they liked it better than 4e
> DM *seemed* to be on board with this
> then he actually tried DMing 3.5
> then didn't really learn the system much
> rest of the group devoured 3.5 and learned it better than me who has been playing it for 10 years
> session frequency dropped off like a rock
> now I have to make NPCs for him, which I don't mind that much
> characters use the system against him
> we have a psion who uses chameleon to move around with what ends up being greater invisibility because See Invisibility doesn't work on it and it's just a hide bonus
> I get shut down every time I point out that that doesnt work.
> changeling player tries to use changeling ability as actual polymorph
> the psion plans to literally solo the lich we are up against with some broken combo of attacks while "invisible" despite me pointing out the -20 to hide checks after attacking someone
> get called a rules lawyer and my motivations are questioned

At...at least my build works better in 3.5. Right guys? Right?
>>
If you can provide any help to me, I would love advice on how to change the lich's spell list in the Monster Manual to be as powerful as possible. The DM will be using the Monster Manual stats for lich so it will be the lich and probably some high level allies up against a party of six characters ranging level 6 to 9. Preferably stuff that can counter a flying, chameleoned psion with an undead bane sword. I just don't want the campaign to end with the final boss getting absolutely assraped by a single player and make our DM give up on DMing forever.

Magic items, spells, whatever. I own literally every single 3.5 book and I've been poring through them for a good way for this guy to at least be a challenge. OR at least counter Captain Chameleon.

Also share stories of huge fuckups you've made. Mine was, obviously, supporting us switching to 3.5. Should have just finished the campaign in 4e. It's probably one of the best ones I've been in as a player, and I fucked it up by introducing them to 3.5. I don't like 4e at all but I could tolerate it.
>>
>>51956461
>>51956467
>people are using rules wrong, stuff is getting out of control because the DM doesn't enforce the right rules and lets everyone bullshit their way to victory

Your DM is a pussy. Tell him that and show him where the rules are by page so he can use them mid session. damn, open up the book in the exact passage and read it loud for him if need be.

Your problem exists because you guys are assuming that rules trump common sense while not properly using the rules, thus getting the worst of both words. ALWAYS REMEMBER: The DM has the final word.

As a Lich, you have absurd combos and possibilities. For starters, he's got darkvision and Truevision spells so he can't fail spot checks. He's also *Undead*, so he's immune to critical hits and precision damage like Sneak Attack. Then, he's not hurt by sunlight, so Daylight-line spells give up to -40 to the chameleonfag's hide checks. They can be Permanence'd or affixed to magic items, and activated with a command word.

For combat spells, any God Wizard guide can help you. It's not hard to make a caster that can wreck 5 other characters of the same level, let alone stuff way below his level. SUMMON FUCKING ELEMENTAL MONOLITH FOR ONE.
>>
>>51956467
You can really just look up any Wizard guide on the various charop forums for the Lich, though I'm not familiar enough with 3.5 Wizards off the top of my head to help with specifics.

As for Chameleon guy, an item (make it consumable so the party doesn't get it?) of +20 Spot and Listen would be cheap, and I think there's a ring of Tremorsense somewhere that would help.

You could also use some of their rulebreaking tricks against them so if they try to argue you can't do that you can just point out that would mean they can't do it either (a scroll or something of Chameleon comes to mind).

Also, depending on what he's doing while hiding, he may not even be allowed to try to hide. iirc staying hidden after doing something takes a move action.
>>
>>51958679
The DM is in fact a pussy and needs to man up, and probably go back to 4e if he hates running 3.5 so much, but if the group just calls OP a rules lawyer over pointing out their shit don't work before going right back to abusing it having the exact page and text around probably won't stop them unless the DM mans the fuck up.
>>
>>51956461
Maybe you should have just kept playing the better edition OP.
tgcomplaintsdepartment.jpg
>>
>>51956467
Contingency, celerity, something to give him blindsight. Everything else is gravy
>>
>>51956461

>Playing this WW2 game, as Germany
>There's a rule that you can align Turkey to your side if you get 4 corps on the Turkish/Soviet border
>This is really hard to do, but Turkey's pretty nice to have in your bag, so it's worth going for if you can finesse it somehow (if you brute force your way through, you've probably won the game without the need for the Turks)
>The "obvious" plan is to use the Italian fleet to land troops by the border, but you can't go from the Eastern Med to the Black unless you control Istanbul
>So, one game, playing late into the night, and not thinking my best, I come up with the following "plan".
>Declare war on Turkey!
>Seize Istanbul
>Send the italians through
>Land near Batum
>Realize that I can't align Turkey because they joined the Allies because I attacked them like an idiot.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.