[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alternatives to classical tactical combat

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 1457606635533.jpg (79KB, 500x461px) Image search: [Google]
1457606635533.jpg
79KB, 500x461px
I love me some good, old fashioned tactical combat in RPGs with the typical mechanics of rounds, actions, damage on hit points and so on. Lately I've developed an interest in alternatives to that though and I'm looking for suggestions to read through.
I'm not looking for games that completely waive conflic or combat rules or cut them down to simple "just do one roll to resolve the entire thing", but stuff like Burning Wheel and by extend Mouseguard, where conflicts are still codified by rules, decisions are to be made and combat isn't just purely freeform. Apart from those two and Dogs in the Vineyard, any other good systems to look at for this stuff?
>>
The One Ring - still has something that loosely resembles traditional RPG combat (attack rolls, damage, special actions etc), but all the movement rules are scrapped and replaced by very abstract "phase" and "engagement" rules.

HeroQuest 2 usually just solves a combat with single roll, but in case of particulary dramatically important cases it might be extended to so called "extended contest", when it gets much more detailed, though mostly in narrative way than mechanical, as most rolls are still simple d20 rolls agains set DC, in which what in particular you do has little to say. Also same method may be applied to any "important, dramatic task", not just combat.
>>
File: 3IiYGj0.jpg (741KB, 1200x1103px) Image search: [Google]
3IiYGj0.jpg
741KB, 1200x1103px
>>51954625
Thanks, I'll have a gander at those. Though, without having read it, HeroQuest 2 sounds less like the kind of stuff I'm looking for, since I'm on the lookout for games that blend the narrative combat with codified rules instead of just narrating a ton of stuff that boils down to a single roll or two.
>>
Not OP but I might as well ask here: is there a crunchy system that resolves combat without rolls but isn't freeform?
>>
>>51953872

Can't really suggest anything except for Mouseguard/Burning Wheel that you already mentioned. I do love their approach to combat and social conflict, it's too bad it's difficult to find anyone to play these systems.
>>
>>51954985
Deadlands uses cards for randomisation....
>>
>>51955274
wow this is a really COOl post my man really good post I'm reading it I read it 5 times by now oops I read it 7 now hahaha I can't stop reading your post I want to marry this post now that I think about it really GOOD post I'm just kind of not even sure how to proceed from here ahaha I'm a little nervous sorry
>>
Legends of the Wulin is a system which takes an unusual approach to combat, with a crunchy combat system rooted in narrative sensibilities rather than the usual granular, realistic sort of thing.

It's a really unique experience and combat dynamic, with your characters ideals, beliefs and drives being just as key to victory as their weapons and Kung-fu. It's also mechanically unusual, although unfortunately the awful editing of the core book makes it harder to understand than it really should be.
>>
>>51955277
>Wants a game without randomization
Take your eurotrash out of here.
>>
>>51953872

The phrases system in Polaris is interesting. I still don't know why no one tried to use it for something else.
>>
>>51953872
One system you might like is Reign. Instead of the usual structure, each turn is
>person with the lowest initiative says what they're doing
>this moves up until it reaches the highest initiative
>everyone rolls their action
>the actions resolve in an order based on the rolls
From what little I've run of it, it's pretty fun.
>>
>>51954625
>The One Ring
Can somebody toss this one up? All downloads I can find are either dead or require some social media nonsense.
>>
>>51954985
You could tweak Fate Core to do that. No dice, let characters spend Stress (HP, but you usually only have about 3) to increase their rolls.

It'd wind up being a lot of jockeying for position (Create an Advantage) followed by a big hit.

>crunchy
It's the crunchiest example I can think of. Fate combats are as involved as you make them.

>>51955321
desu a euro style RPG sounds really neat
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.