[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /tg/ think of SpyCraft 2.0? I know that FantasyCraft

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: espionage_1340120053-cropped.jpg (31KB, 508x312px) Image search: [Google]
espionage_1340120053-cropped.jpg
31KB, 508x312px
What does /tg/ think of SpyCraft 2.0? I know that FantasyCraft is fairly well-regarded here, so I'm curious how its modern-day counterpart is treated.
>>
>>51950634
Way too crunchy, but the World on Fire supplement has some of the best writing on tradecraft & operations I've ever read in an RPG.
>>
>>51950634
Spycraft and the sequel are trying to hammer a round peg into an ethernet port.

The problem with them is that with anything above random character building (i.e. a sentient human picking options) they can leave any and all realistic opposition in the dust.

By about 4th level, no police force on earth could catch the Wheelman in my Spycraft game. Not with helicopters, not with planes, nothing. The hacker was well on the way to being able to hack Norad in a standard action, and the snoop, ironically, was almost useless because he would detect every clue instantly, but because of how the adventures are structured was not allowed to progress much faster than a rule-of-cool bumble from gunfight to carchase.

d20, in short, cannot make anything even remotely resembling the real world work. Abandon your hopes, turn to another system for modern shit, and move on.
>>
>>51951340
Hmm, good to know. What about Night's Black Agents?
>>
>>51951340
>they can leave any and all realistic opposition in the dust

Doesn't the game let the GM scale challenges according to player level based on Threat Rating though? Or were you guys somehow minmaxed even beyond that?
>>
>>51952407
In 2.0 yes, although it's as much a fiction as the CR system.

In 1.0 you can blow the intended opposition out of the water easily, but it's more the fact that RAW you can defeat squads of police and bypass all civilian and law enforcement security measures. Literally only mission targets have any chance of challenging you, and it's a direct duel of optimization between Control and player.
>>
What are some alternative systems that would be good for espionage?
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.