[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 341
Thread images: 34

File: Flail Snail.jpg (205KB, 1536x1173px) Image search: [Google]
Flail Snail.jpg
205KB, 1536x1173px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>New Unearthed Arcana: Traps Revisited
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/0227_UATraps.pdf

>Give feedback on the previous Unearthed Arcana:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/19723ad02610

>New Plane Shift: Kaladesh
http://media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous thread
>>51942223

Eternal Flail Snail Edition
How have you used Flail Snails against your players?
>>
first for 3rd level fighter soloing 8 kobolds
>>
>>51947703
I plan on sending them into the Escargeode at some point.
>>
I want more Warlock invocations.
>>
>>51947086
Enjoy being all around god wizard with some emergency healing word, and the ability to maximize lightning bolt on some fools from time to time (probably to finish off enemies).
>>
File: Original 5eg.png (60KB, 1346x335px) Image search: [Google]
Original 5eg.png
60KB, 1346x335px
Also, I found the original 5th edition general thread, or at least the first 5e thread claiming to be a general.

Made me a little nostalgic for some reason.
>>
>>51947728
That's nothing.

A variant human fighter with the Tunnel Fighter fighting style and the Polearm Mastery feat can solo potentially infinite kobolds with a single bonus action.
>>
>>51947703
Fucking nigger OP
How hard is it to copy paste one more fucking thing

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.me/5eg
>>
>>51947775
>Kobolds all see the fighter prepare to skewer them on his spear
>They all throw rocks at him
>>
>>51947787
>advertising a cesspit
>>
>>51947787
Discord is a pile of garbage, fuck you.
>>
>>51947787
I had considered it, and then realized that the discord produces nothing of value.
>>
I'm making a morrowind esque spellcrafting system.

What are some archetypes that are necessary based on dnd lore and existing spells?
>>
>>51947787
There's a reason that tumor was excised.
>>
File: 249-1920.jpg (988KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
249-1920.jpg
988KB, 1920x1080px
/wbg/ is quiet today. Maybe you guys can help me.

I am a fairly new DM who has only run about 5 games campaigns, I have lots of things I understand but one of the harder things to master is proper pacing, especially because I don't really control it that much. So I have a question. Regardless of what system I use, how do I go about making a campaign, about 3 sessions, maybe 2, in its entirety, a dungeon crawl but make the rewards not feel wasted? Its a bit difficult to look at it from a players perspective, but, for the sake of argument, lets say a typical combat encounter takes 15 minutes, maybe 30. Each session is 3 hours, 4 if they wanna stay extra. How do I successfully cram a story, meaningful fights, traps, etc, and items all into a campaign that short? Whenever I run things I am used to spread it out over months so its foreign to me almost. Also a bit important to note, the overall setting is easy enough to set, its the story within and meaningful content inside thats hard.
>>
>>51947952
Make combat faster. One combat shouldn't be taking 15 minutes
>>
>>51947703

>flail snail

My nigga. Best monster.
>>
>>51947971
The easiest way to make combat faster (and smoother)... is to help the players build their character.
Combat is pretty repetitive, they should go in already knowing which actions to use, which bonus actions, the effect of everybody's spells, and the math for their attacks... it's going to be almost always the same, exceptions being when there's something to do with the environment or there's need for a particular corner-case spell.
>>
Are there werewolves in the 5e monster manual? where can i find them? page?
>>
>>51948136
They're under Lycanthropes

>>51947995
It really is. A player almost died because he stood between two of them and a wild surge made a fireball go off right where he stood, but the snails were total bros so their shells completely cancelled the spell.
>>
>>51948136
Under Lycanthropes, starting on page 206. That said, just read the index next time.
>>
>>51948136
I was going to say "are you fucking incompetent" but then I remembered they're not listed under Werewolves, so I guess you're OK.
>>
>>51948155
>>51948157
thank you
sorry, my mistake, i was looking under W, this friday i will dm my first game and im not english
>>
How would you stat a Drow fighter, using standard array?
>>
>>51948193
What type of fighter?
>>
>>51947952
With only 3 sessions it's not going to be a great epic.
Keep the focus of your pcs small, don't let them dawdle, if there's investigating to do anything they'll do will give them the right lead.
Hit them wherever they are, hit them from multiple angles, make it look like there are 2 or 3 plots going on at the same time, but then have everything come to a final showdown on the 3rd session.

You can probably make do with a short investigation, and a short dungeon, 3 to 5 rooms, in each session.
This could be great, the time running out OOC will bring more tension.
>>
>>51948193
8 Str
14 Dex
15 Con
13 Cha
12 Wis
10 Int

Add racial bonuses, use dex weapons
>>
>>51948193
Str 8
Dex 15+2
Con 14
Int 10
Wis 12
Cha 13+1

I guess.
>>
>>51948266
Oh hey, we were pretty close
>>
I wouldn't mind more comprehensive Chase Scene rules and scenarios desu
>>
File: 1452465166132.jpg (130KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1452465166132.jpg
130KB, 700x700px
>>51948193
What is your goal? Stealthy fighter? Maximum defense? Duelist? Dual weapons? Great weapons? Ranged attacks? Do you want to cast spells?

Personally, I'd go for 16 Dex and Cha, at least 12 Con, and balance the others as you want to taste. Dueling if I plan on rapier and shield, archery for a longbow focus, or Defensive if I plan to mix it up often or really want to stack AC. Battlemaster, take the Rally maneuver so I can put the high Cha to good use bossing/commanding/seducing my comrades for huge THP, other good maneuvers include the one that frightens, riposte and parry, and precision attack. At level 4 take Inspiring Leader for even more THP granting, then max Dex from there out.
>>
>>51948155
How do the shells cancel the spell when they're not in the shell, and a fireball comes out of nowhere?
>>
>>51948282
Yeah, I thought putting the odd in Dex might work on the off chance you took resilient or something seeing as they already have Con save proficiency and there aren't any other feats that give a Dex or Con bonus worth taking.
>>
>>51947703
2 questions
>is sacred flame the only offensive cleric cantrip?
>would a flail snail make an appropriate mount for a halfling?
>>
>>51948401
Yes, except in special circumstances like Arcana or Nature domains that give you extra cantrips from other lists, where you can take some.
Yes, if your DM allows it, you don't mind moving at the pace of snail, you don't plan to cast any magic, and you don't mind people trying to kill your pet whose corpse is worth a fortune.
>>
>>51948426
>Yes, except in special circumstances like Arcana or Nature domains
well shit i want to go into knowledge domain and i notice it added a boost, but seems silly for only one spell
also doesnt the magic disruption only affect magic cast at it?
casting magic at others while on top seems ok
aside from the pace i wanted to know how best to tame one, i think i read that they were intelligent or are they just insect like in intelligence
so do i have to use dominating magic or could i get help from a ranger in taming it?
>>
>>51948327
Flail snail shells are basically just big piles of antimagic. Both of the snails succeeded on their saving throws, and on the d6 roll one of them rolled a 2. This canceled the spell entirely, saving the sorcerer.

>>51948401
A flail snail would make an appropriate mount for any creature Medium or smaller. The optimum scenario is an Oath of Ancients paladin riding a flail snail, giving them resistance to magic damage entirely.
>>
>>51948495
I don't really see how anything with movement 10ft is ever an appropriate mount as it fails somewhat in the main purpose of having a mount.
>>
Hey y'all, I'm looking for some advice.

My players are in Icewind Dale tracking down a frost giant. They're about to cross over a hill west of Bryn Shander that will give them a view of the entire coast. The frost giant is on the beach, loading up a boat, with the larger giant longship anchored off the coast. The beach is about ten miles from the party.

I'm seeing that it'll take the party on horses about 1 hour to gallop down there. The giant would probably notice a group of people galloping down a snowy slope towards him.

I'm not really sure how to play this out.
>>
>>51948591
He hops in the ship, and books it.
>>
File: yanya-sheet.png (343KB, 638x826px) Image search: [Google]
yanya-sheet.png
343KB, 638x826px
>>51947703
5th E was fun. I personally feel like the crunch amount is just right for me. Advantage/ disadvantage is neat simple mechanic and I like inspiration. I got to play as a cleric and turned into a Living Sun in my game. Here's the custom character sheet I didn't finish before my character ascended to PEAK SHINING SUN

Also, it has been a RPG bucket list want of mine to fight a Flail Snail.

One of he others is to fight a gelatinous cube.But I did that one already.
>>
>>51948495
Not seeing what is so useful about riding a flail snail, it has advantage on saves not its rider and has 1/3 chance of just damaging the rider if it passes a save.
>>
File: 1486938456817.jpg (19KB, 251x251px) Image search: [Google]
1486938456817.jpg
19KB, 251x251px
>my 7 players are level 4

>can reliably beat any enemy from the MM I can throw at them
>even in groups

>baddies damage isn't a threat anymore
>they can shrug off most wounds

I'm doing something wrong I know it
The only encounter which gave them trouble was a 200hp 15AC Warboss Orc with a magical greataxe

Early levels where so much fun because there was that element of danger which doesn't exist anymore.
One wrong hit and it's fucking over

It feels like if I went ahead and boosted every enemies AC, HP and weapons I'd be a shit DM
Is that shit DM'ing?
>>
>>51948155

Really is, indeed. It's easily my favorite, with floating tentacle potato as my second. I just love that it has its own economy behind it because people make glass out of what it leaves behind.

I've had it in my mind to put one in front of my players just doing its own thing and see if they take the bait and try to kill it and if they do, the nearby town basically have it out for the party because their town benefits and specializes in creating product from that glass.
>>
>>51948678
You have too many players
that's all there really is to it
Do whatever you have to to give them a reasonable challenge (provided that's what they want)
>>
>>51948591
What is the goal here?
If you want the giant to sit still, just say it's the low tide and he had to wait to go, if you want the players to fight a running battle, have the giant board the boat in the nick of time and ensure that the players can fly/swim/walk on water.
If you want to stump them, well... just let the giant go, it's easy.
>>
>>51948678
>It feels like if I went ahead and boosted every enemies AC, HP and weapons I'd be a shit DM
>Is that shit DM'ing?

>rebalancing encounter to be an appropriate challenge for the party
>shit DMing

Anon please, literally everyone does this
>>
>>51948678
It's the fact you have 7 players.
>>
>>51948495
Oh, neat.

It sounded like a case of 'You run in between them and try to blow them both up allahu ackbar style, but they're both autoimmune to it and you fucking die.'

I have been converted to the way of the flail snail.

>>51948678
>7 players

Also
>Probably a load of magical items or something
>>
>>51948678
Well running for 7 players is one problem. How many encounters are they getting per long rest? Another common problem is players being able to just go full burst every encounter if they get to rest too often.
>>
>>51948678
Include stakes that require them to manage more than their HP.
The dam is about to break and destroy the village.
Their friend with 4 hp is also in the collapsing cave.
The freezing cold doesn't care how much HP you have, it won't let you rest and you won't survive for long once your legs can't move.
>>
>>51948678
>7 players
>1 orc warboss

>8 men enter, 7 men leave
it just doesn't have the right ring to it.
7 players skew the action economy just by existing, try using more opponents or giving them extra turns instead, then you won't have to fuck with the stats.
>>
>>51948678
>>51948736
Oh, I had read that as 4 level 7 players.
Yeah no that's far too many to function in normal combat. See if you can't split into two groups of DM and 3 players. Help teach someone willing and groom them to DM, maybe have some sessions on special occasions where your campaigns cross paths if they're in the same setting. And if you enjoy playing as well teach another and get a break from GMing in a few years.
>>
>>51948671
>>51948570

>Not cruising through the untamed wilderness at a leisurely pace
>Not playing an ancients paladin with massive health stores and resistance to magic damage
>Not mocking nobles on horseback for having an ugly mount
>Not mourning your massive snail friend when he dies, making a spellguard shield and a robe of scintillating colors in his memory, becoming the snail yourself

Do you even luxury
>>
>>51948623
>>51948706
I'm not really sure what the end goal is here. I'm running SKT and this is the party chasing after the giants who attacked Bryn Shander (accompanied by Artus Cimber's son).

I'd like for my players to learn about how the frost giants want to plunge the world into eternal winter, but I don't want them pursuing it before going to the giant Oracle in a later chapter.

I don't think my players can water walk or fly, at least not without resting first.

I guess overall I think it'd be cool for a giant to fight the party while the ship offshore fires it's ballista at the party. I just don't know how to get to the point if it takes an hour for the party to get to the giant.
>>
>>51948878
The party could take longer, but going all sneaky like, and take the giant by surprise.
Or they could get an hint, reach a nearby fishing village, grab a boat, and do a boat assault.
Or whatever your players will come up with.
If you want them to fight, they will.
>>
The temptation to make a Bugbear Battlemaster with a Glaive so I can have 20ft Lunging attacks is very high right now.
Likewise take PAM and Sentinel, with Tunnel Fighting for a nice zone of nope.
>>
>>51949021
Long limbs is only when attacking on your turn.
>>
>>51949038
I'm aware of that, i know id still only have 10ft reaction zone.
I'm mostly into the 20ft stab desu
>>
>>51949015
Is there a way that I could aid them in being sneaky? I was envisioning the hill they're on being kind of barren and snow covered since it's an Arctic region and is on the wind side of the Sea of Moving Ice.
>>
Alright /flailsnail/, what's the best way to size down a flail snail to a CR suitable for a small domesticated pet?
>>
>>51948245
I'm thinking Battle Master since it seems the most diverse/fun fighter archetype.

>>51948264
>>51948266
Thanks! Those are close to what I was thinking.

>>51948324
I think I'm going to dual wield (DM is giving a bonus feat to each class, Fighter gets Dual Wielder) but I'd also like to be able to make use of ranged weapons from time to time.

For maneuvers, are these good? Riposte, Trip attack, Disarming.

I might take sharpshooter and/or crossbow expert later. If I decide not to take Sharpshooter/Crossbow Expert I might hit Martial Adept at 4 for the extra die and to pick up Precision Strike and Menacing Attack.

I'm thinking of something like this.

14+2
15+1

We have a cleric so I don't really think I need high wisdom. I also don't think we'll have any Int based characters so I figure having a decent intelligence score there could be helpful to the party.

Sorry for all the questions. I've been a forever DM and this is the first character I'm going to really get a chance to play outside of the rare one-shot.
>>
>>51948798
Maximum comfy.
>>
I played a bunch of 3.5 in my younger days

friends of mine who never played before want to try playing and I want to try my hand at DMing for the first time

any tips for a first time dm?
>>
>>51949118
Dual Wielding doesn't give too much as the levels rise, since only your main hand attack count increases.Sharpshooter is quite powerful, especially in a dedicated build.
If you care especially to make your dual wielding a bit better, grab the TWF fighting style. If you want a big accuracy boost to ranged attacks, take Archery style, it compounds well with Sharpshooter power attack. If you can't decide, just take Defensive and get bonus AC, can't go wrong with that.
>>
>>51948570
wait is the movement 10 feet or 20?
>>
File: FourElements.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
FourElements.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Tell me anons why are you not playing this class right now? Or even the regular way of the four elements monk?
>>
>>51949221
Because I'm playing vanilla Four Elements Monk.

I didn't know.
>>
>>51949253
>Vanilla Four Elements Monk
How is it going? Are you having fun?
>>
>>51949186
Plan for things to not go to plan. That is to say, make your encounters flexible, so you can insert them wherever the party goes.
>>51949221
Because I get more fun out of my bard convincing my enemies I love them, then paralyzing and cutting their throats in bed then I do lighting them on fire with my fists.
>>
>>51949118
Even with the dual wielder, dual wielding really isn't very good on a fighter. You have nothing that synergizes with it aside from a fighting style that gives you +DEX to damage on your bonus attack (When you could just take duelling for +2 to EVERY attack made with one weapon, and fighters get enough attacks to sooner or later thus do more damage than +DEX would ever do)... But.
Thing is, dual-wielding might not be so bad if you want to be a grappler. You can't properly use a shield and attack as a grappler. However, that would be a fighter-rogue or barbarian-rogue multiclass, probably.

That said, if you're forced to take the dual wielder feat then especially at low levels dual wielding might actually be pretty okay, even if not great. Ranged combat is still better, but you can always stop using dual wielding at level 5 or 7 or 11 or whenever it stops being good.

To be honest, dual wielding is best on a strength-based barbarianrogue (Though can be dex-based). The feat itself is only really good for monks or rogues with too many ASIs (Somehow) that want +AC.

What you could do is some sort of swashbuckler, because they get +CHA to initiative (It's not much, but it gives you something to do with your charisma) and it actually makes good use of dual-wielding.
Or some sort of antipaladin. Or weird bladelock thing. Or warlock-rogue multiclass, paladin-rogue multiclass...

Fighter is a good choice if you want to take hand crossbow, though. But so is rogue.
>>
>>51949094
Have you already mapped the rest of the coast?
They could backtrack down the hill, then outflank staying in the valley between hills, where might be rivers and somewhat more vegetation, and anyway wouldn't be as much in plain sight.
Magic would help too, Pass without Trace? Cloaks of Elvenkind?
>>
>>51949221
because it looks silly
also more flail snail
>>
>>51949269
Yes, actually. When I say 'vanilla', I meant we started without any modifications and gradually made some.

Specifically my character has access to a wider pool of abilities which he can attune through use of magical tattoo ink/paint during each long rest.

Sometimes I wish I had played punchy or sneaky monk, but I really like Elemental Attunement and my character has these cool Fire Snake tattoos on his arms.
>>
How useless will I be if I play a warlock afraid of using their magic?
>>
>>51949330
What do you mean?
No spells? Not even cantrips? Not even using the slots to fuel his smites?
Or just as a characterization, not embracing it fully, but still using his resources as every adventurer is wont to do?
>>
>>51949221
I kind of want to homebrew my own based on that. Instead, I'd do it something like this:

>You get elemental attunement or whatever it was and at level 3, 6, 11 and 17 choose one of these four options:
>Air
>Water
>Earth
>Fire
>You gain an improved version of their 'control' cantrip (Probably gets stronger at higher levels, too). After choosing, choose two abilities from that element's option list.

The main differences are
>Stronger elemental cantrips
Because I love at-will stuff, and you can do this without doing anything balancebreaking.
>You only get features from the related cantrip
Because, while this is more limiting, it makes it feel like you've actually focused on that one element rather than just thrown things together.

Then it'd be trying to focus on not having too big a power gap between level 17 and 3 features, but also
>Level 6 additional styles focus on using two elements you chose together
>Level 11 styles focus on using three elements you chose together
>Level 17 styles focus on using all elements together

So, say, minute meteors would be fire+earth so level 6 (or level 11 or 17 if you don't choose fire+earth cantrips) if I recall them being firey right.

Of course I'd then try to balance it all out.

Thoughts? I really like the remake, but it still feels as if it's missing something to me.
>>
>>51949330
Not useless if you play it as using the magic when needed against the will of the character.
Their hand and mouth moves on their own at the command of their patron, their familiar forces them to action, their tome or blade moves on its own according to their base will for survival over the fear of the dangerous spells.
You need to use your class features and not inconvenience the party while getting the point across.
>>
> tfw cousin posts on facebook complaining she hasn't got to play D&D in like 5 years

Haven't seen or spoken to her in 11 years but have heard things from them and follow them on Facebook. I have like 3 other groups I am in right now but I am considering offering to play / DM for them over discord or skype. I'm just scared it's gonna be awkward cause it's been so long. Could probably get my brother in on it too.

help me be brave 5eg
>>
>>51949362
So you want it to be more focused on mastery of individual elements, gradually building up to mastery of all of them?
>>
>>51949274
One player does have a Cloak of Elvenkind. Party is UA ranger, Paladin, Tempest cleric, and Warlock. I suppose the tempest cleric could make it storm if it's overcast to try and cover their movement (they wouldn't know they Frost Giants can see through low visibility environments like snow easily).

As for mapping, I'm going off the SKT map, which shows there being a large hill extending along the western coast of Icewind Dale.

I guess it could also be reasonable that the frost giant spots them and intentionally wants to fight, maybe as an honor thing since his raid failed on Bryn Shander.

I appreciate your feedback on this. I want this to not just feel like I'm forcing the players into one action.
>>
>>51949211
10, but these slave drivers want Luxury Snail to be sprinting all the time.
>>
>>51949311
Sounds badass tbqh
>>
>>51949356
Characterization, not embracing it fully. Relying on lesser spells if at all for combat.

>>51949371
Of course I'd make sure it wouldn't become an inconvenience to the party.
>>
>>51949291
I think punching concussive fire, freezing people, and ice surfing look's pretty cool. But it might just be the Avatar thoughts making it seem cool.

>>51949311
That's cool your DM made a nice adjustment to give you more options, seems cool!

>>51949362
What this guy said>>51949381
>>
>>51949442
It's good fun, though the character is surprisingly friendly and gentle for a bald, tattooed man who can snap people's spines in half with his bare hands.

The idea was to give the monk more magical versatility, but to require preparation, planning and tactics.
>>
File: DOIT FAGGOT.jpg (13KB, 271x277px) Image search: [Google]
DOIT FAGGOT.jpg
13KB, 271x277px
>>51949379
>>
>>51949362
Actually, upgrading the control cantrips seems a bit much since they're already pretty good. If I want 'you can make an attack with earth cantrip' then that can be one of the options with your choices. Or 'make a path of ice' would be an option.

>>51949381
>>51949499
Pretty much. Seems odd you can cast 'wall of stone' but can't move earth.

Also I really like at-will stuff, but I guess there's ki for that. The problem with ki is that every ki you spend is a ki not spent on stunning fist.
I might go a step further and remove stunning fist as part of it, and instead have a couple of different control abilities such as grappling with earth or creating difficult terrain with ice or pushing back enemies with wind instead of just 'I walk up and stun everything', but that's a bit ambitious, as that's trying to rework monk at its core.
>>
>>51949474
As a low-level warlock you'll have only 2 slots, anyway.
Grab one of those blade pact smiting invocations, and you might never actually cast a spell!
>>
>>51949511
Just did it. Left a comment saying "your cousins might be persuaded to play with you"

Probably should break the ice seeing as at the rate im going I'll never see them in person again.
>>
>>51949531
>Also I really like at-will stuff, but I guess there's ki for that. The problem with ki is that every ki you spend is a ki not spent on stunning fist.
I would love for the Monk to have access to more elemental-themed cantrips. Also, for ages I did not realize Stunning Strike was the 5e Monk meta and barely used it.
>>
>>51949534
Was thinking tome, and relying only on magic from Tome. If I switch out to a blade lock I'm using that hex blade UA.
>>
>>51949550
Good luck anon
>>
>>51949531
The homebrew posted has 15 ft. stunning fist, Maximilian's earthen grasp, a discipline that allows you to make difficult terrain for dashing for free, and a punch that can push people back and knock them prone. All of this can be achieved by level 6.
>>
File: FLAILSNAIL.jpg (477KB, 1420x924px) Image search: [Google]
FLAILSNAIL.jpg
477KB, 1420x924px
"Ho there, adventurers! Do your nether regions ache for the bumpy and fast ride your current mounts provide? Might you be interested in a SNAIL OF LUXURY?"
>>
>>51949576
thanks m8
>>
Alright /5eg/, I might finally have the time to run something resembling a campaign soon-ish, and since everyone in my area is D&D or bust and think 3e is the pinnacle of human achievement, 5e is my only chance to maybe get someone curious enough to sincerely give it a try without the whole thing devolving into edition war shitflinging for no reason whatsoever.

Is there something I should be aware of from the get go? Trap options in the core books? Spells I should be on the lookout for? Mandatory erratas for certain classes? I understand this is more of an old school game where you're not supposed to have magical items economy or wealth by level bullshit, can I safely stick to my old school sense without accidentally breaking the game?

Also tell me what part of the game breaks if I ban the warlock I'm sorry I just hate its concept, it's so fucking unnecessary
>>
>>51949631
As a female adventurer, I'm quite satisfied with my horse, thanks
>>
is nature domain worth it?
i want to bring back my halfling cleric from 3.5 but will probably change him from knowledge to nature
now that ghostwise is a thing i can start with 16 wis
planning on finding some cool exotic animal to ride while healing allies and disrupting foes

what mount should i try to get?
(aside from the obvious flail snail)
what cantrip should i get (i get one druid cantrip) was thinking about poison spray but shillelagh looks cool and i hear they brought back magic stone

any other advise would be appreciated
>>
>>51949570
If your patron is a fiend, you could get that invocation to blast a fireball along with your eldritch blasts, and use your spell slots on that, fluffing it up as an improved blast.
Multiclass paladin, use the spell slots for smiting? Sorcerer, get some spell points out of them? There are a few ways to gain something out of spell slots even without casting, you should grab one.
>>
Going to pick up my first Player's Handbook at the post office in half an hour.
>>
>>51949677
Don't ban the warlock because it's the primary rogue alternative.
DO ban the Pact of the Blade for warlocks, because it's one of the three main trap options. The others are Beastmaster ranger and Way of the Four Elements monk (this very thread has shotposts about fixing it).

Don't allow any Unearthed Arcana except the UA ranger. Don't allow multiclassing with the UA ranger because it's too front-loaded.

Other than that, the game basically runs itself, mechanically speaking. Have fun!
>>
>>51949677
>Also tell me what part of the game breaks if I ban the warlock
As of right now? You remove an easy way for gishes to smite, and force anybody that wants to do arcane strikes and the like to be a paladin or refluffed battlemaster, and make cha-based casters slightly weaker, they lose on the potential of grabbing that eldritch blast.

Nothing more, really. Warlock is multiclass fodder.
>>
>>51949112
Flaily Snaily
Small elemental, unaligned
Armor Class 15 (natural armor)
Hit Points 16 (2d10+4)
Speed 10 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
8 (-1) 5 (-3) 15 (+2) 3 (-4) 10 (+0) 5 (-3)
Damage Immunities fire, poison
Condition Immunities poisoned
Senses darkvision 60 ft., tremorsense 60 ft., passive Perception 10
Languages -
Challenge 1/2 (700 XP)
Antimagic Shell. The snail has advantage on saving throws against spells, and any creature making a spell attack against the snail has disadvantage on the attack roll. If the snail succeeds on its saving throw against a spell or a spell attack misses it, an additional effect might occur, as determined by rolling a d6:
1: If the spell affects an area or has multiple targets, it fails and has no effect. If the spell targets only the snail, it has no effect on the snail and is reflected back at the caster, using the spell slot level, spell save DC, attack bonus, and spellcasting ability of the caster.

2-5: No additional effect.

6: The snail’s shell converts some of the spell's energy into a burst of destructive force. Each creature within 30 feet of the snail must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw, taking 1d6 force damage per level of the spell on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Flail Tentacles. The flail snail has 2 flail tentacles. Whenever the snail takes 5 damage or more on a single turn, one of its tentacles dies. If even one tentacle remains, the snail regrows all dead ones within 1d4 days. If all its tentacles die, the snail retracts into its shell, gaining total cover, and it begins wailing, a sound that can be heard for 300 feet, stopping only when it dies 5d6 minutes later. Healing magic that restores limbs, such as the regenerate spell, can halt this dying process.
>>
>>51949677
The two options in the PHB (assuming players aren't building backwards) that are "traps" are Beastmaster Ranger and Way of the 4 Elements monk, both due to feature and action economy, and the latter due to resource economy as well.
Hold Person and Heat Metal can be notable spells, but not broken, just don't get blindsided. Conjure Woodland Beings can summon 8 spellcasting pixies, but remember the spell says the DM determines what creatures exactly are summoned, so don't feel the need to fill their exact request. There are a couple clarifying errata but nothing major, except for the Ranger's rework (still in public playtest AKA Unearthed Arcana stage) since the class as whole was a bit lacking; this brings it up to part with others and even makes the companion option viable.
Magic items aren't assumed by level, but be wary of forcing something resistant to mundane attacks against martials with no other recourse.
Warlock ban won't break anything, they're not totally vital. However, I question why; read how they work in 5e. Right in the PHB they've got the options of fiends, great old ones, or even fey as patrons, plenty of variety. If you're just trying to cut out edgelords you'll need to do more screening than just block the obvious "demon magic" class, and you don't really need to cut out that option in most circumstances.
>>
>>51949767
>Actions
Flail Tentacle. Melee Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 2 (1d4-1) bludgeoning damage.
Scintillating Shell (Recharges after a Long Rest). The snail's shell emits dazzling, colored light until the end of the snail’s next turn. During this time, the shell sheds bright light in a 15-foot radius and dim light for an additional 15 feet, and creatures that can see the snail have disadvantage on attack rolls against it.
Shell Defense. The flail snail withdraws into its shell, gaining a +3 bonus to AC until it emerges. It can emerge from its shell as a bonus action on its turn.
>>
>>51949767
I think this is good. Maybe lower the base AC to 15, so its AC only goes to 18
>>
>>51947775
>be tunnel fighter
>excel at defending tight spaces
>use a polearm

What DM allows this madness?
>>
>>51949726
The Warlock/Wizard UA fixes the Pact of the Blade, the other UAs are ok for most campaigns (there's a lot of crazy material, but at high level, most campaigns won't get there). Exeption being, as you said, that the Ambuscade Ranger is OP as a multiclass, unless you feel that all martials (they'll all grab a level) need a boost, but ok on its own.
>>
>>51949221
Because it's not Mystic >:^)
>>
>>51949570
>>51949687
You do realize cantrips are still magic, right?

>>51949835
I think a DM that's new to the game should disallow all UA at least at first, until they get a better sense for what is or isn't balanced.
>>
>>51949726
>Don't ban the warlock because it's the primary rogue alternative.

You mean the primary alternative for glass cannon burst damage, for skillmonkey or for the old school thief role?

>>51949731
>As of right now? You remove an easy way for gishes to smite, and force anybody that wants to do arcane strikes and the like to be a paladin or refluffed battlemaster, and make cha-based casters slightly weaker, they lose on the potential of grabbing that eldritch blast.

Isn't there an eldritch knight for that? And are the bard and sorcerer that weak?

>>51949779
>Warlock ban won't break anything, they're not totally vital. However, I question why; read how they work in 5e. Right in the PHB they've got the options of fiends, great old ones, or even fey as patrons, plenty of variety. If you're just trying to cut out edgelords you'll need to do more screening than just block the obvious "demon magic" class, and you don't really need to cut out that option in most circumstances.

A mere matter of grognardism. I've always considered the warlocks' shtick to be what magic users were kind of always supposed to be, or maybe a bit of a specialized kit, if you will.
Then again I'm also grumpy about the barbarian being its own class instead of a background so there's that.

>>51949835
So UAs are fine but no multiclassing into them because they're too front-loaded? What about psionics?
>>
>>51949629
>Icy Path
Actually, haven't read the homebrew in a while, this is actually a pretty damn good one. You can spend ki to do it as a bonus action or just use your action, and the more speed you have the more terrain you make, yet having superultraspeed isn't gamebreaking because you're only making terrain.
But, this is an in combat only useful thing. You can't really do much with it out of combat, it only lasts about six seconds. Want to make a fragile frosty ramp up something or try to shape a block of ice into a ramp? Can't really do that.
I'd rather bundle it into an addition to the control water cantrip that allows you to firstly have that dash-freeze and secondly allows any freezing to not count towards control water's limit, allowing you to freeze multiple times, or something like that.
>Maximillain's Earthern grasp
This is hardly much better than just punching someone several times and using stunning fist once or twice, especially since it takes up one of your options.
>Fist of Unbroken Air
Pretty nice, I suppose, for combat utility. Though it's nothing an open palm monk doesn't already do.
>>
>>51949362
I still advocate for grouping abilities into mystic-style disciplines with a "focused on this element" passive effect and then the other options gated by cost. Each archetype level would give mastery of a new element and new ways to play with your elemental focus resource. Then at level 17 you've mastered four elements and can give them a daily avatar-state-ripoff capstone.

Basically, elemental psionic-mystic monk.
>>
>>51949221
Cause I made my own.

Or more like, made an elemental monk that is in no way similar to Wot4e, but whatever.

Had I seen that brew when I made my current Open Hand and the GM had allowed me to, I would've.
>>
Well I had my first game in months this last weekend. Holy fuck it was a shit show. I mean I went into it knowing there would be at least one that guy, and that the DM was kinda new, but holy shit. There were nine fucking people at the table. The dm had no idea what he was doing. No plans whatsoever. Terrible ass pulls. It wasn't just one that guy, it was several, and they were all related to the DM. The only guy there who i trusted to be a halfway decent player promptly got drunk and made an ass of himself for the rest of the night. There was more retarded banter than there was dnd, might as well have just pulled out fucking cards against humanity honestly. Up till two in the morning and we barely made it through two encounters. Half the players were glued to their phones instead of paying fucking attention. A fuck, what have i gotten myself into? I just wanted to play again instead of always being dm.
>>
>>51949767
>>51949784
Revision: 16 AC instead of 15. Change size to Tiny. Remove tentacle attack action.

There, now we have a cute lil snail that is a delight to have around, small enough to perch on your shoulder, and incapable of fighting. You're gonna have to keep him safe.
>>
File: dontgetmestartedagain.jpg (3KB, 245x206px) Image search: [Google]
dontgetmestartedagain.jpg
3KB, 245x206px
>>51949875
>What about psionics?
>>
>>51949905
>I just wanted to play again instead of always being dm.
No D&D is better than shit D&D. It's a hard truth.
>>
>>51949885
That's a pretty neat idea, too, though it's kinda expoentially increasing as you get more options, more ki and more elements.
>>
>>51949875
>Isn't there an eldritch knight for that? And are the bard and sorcerer that weak?
Eldritch knight casts and fight, but doesn't do the weeaboo fightan magic thing. As of now, only 3 classes can 'fuel more damage into a sword expending magic resources', the paladin, the warlock, and the mystic.

The War Magic options (bonus attack after casting a spell) are more useful to archers than to swordsmen, that will have positioning issues if mixing casting and attacking so much, and in the case of the eldritch knight they might not want to cast a spell every round.
>>
>>51949933
That bad, huh?

>>51949958
I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.
>>
What is the difference between a sorcerer and a psionic/mystic?
>>
>>51949940

I'm halfway tempted to offer to run for them just so their DM can see what a halfway competent session looks like, but I don't think you could pay me to run for some of these people. Ah fuck.
>>
>>51949875
>So UAs are fine but no multiclassing into them because they're too front-loaded?
That goes for the Ambuscade Ranger, other UAs are pretty much ok. Not yet perfect, but more or less on the level.

Ambuscade breaks the action economy, on every encounter. It's fun, you can plan for it, and it forces you to make encounters more dynamic, but it's still such a great ability that everybody wants it, even some casters are willing to sacrifice a level for it.
Personally, that's where I draw the line.
>>
>>51949999
One of them is released :^)
>>
File: 4chanSmiley.jpg (34KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
4chanSmiley.jpg
34KB, 600x600px
>>51949680
>>
>>51949980
>>51949999

You missed an epic shitty thread yesterday when the new UA wasn't about the mystic.
>>
>>51949882
Fair point there is a large degree of combat utility in this class but not much out of combat utility. But I still think its much better than the regular 4 elements monk.
>>
>>51949875
>>Don't ban the warlock because it's the primary rogue alternative.
>You mean the primary alternative for glass cannon burst damage, for skillmonkey or for the old school thief role?
Yes. The warlock is a flexible out-of-combat with glass cannoning in-combat.

>>51949999
Sorcerers use traditional magic, and they are the source of its power. Psionics use a completely seaprate system of influencing the world.
>>
>>51949680
>female adventurer
>male player
>>
>>51950012
I'd say go for it. Take some time to think about how each of these people play, and tailor the session around them. Also implement turn timers for combat.
>>
>>51949999
A sorcerer casts arcane spells using innate, untrained power fueled by magic in their blood. It otherwise functions as normal arcane spellcasting; materials, motions, components, etc. They currently have spell slots, and can convert things into points and back into slots.

Mystics cover a broad range of guys who have trained their mind (and occasionally their body) to perceive a higher level of reality or greater cosmic truths and manifest a variety of psychic powers using their keen intellect. Their powers have no spellcasting requirements and seldom produce flashy light shows or sounds. They lack spell slots entirely and run on what is essentially an MP system. Their method of learning spells also differs in that they pick a number of Disciplines, each of which has a short list of powers associated with it.
>>
>>51949999
Depends on the edition.

AD&D 2e: Sorcerers were a late addition with a natural talent for casting mage spells. The thing about them having dragon ancestors was in-game an unconfirmed theory. Psionics was the result of a random mutation; people born with a wild talent could use psionic powers no matter what class they were, or they could focus on it as a class and be psionicists.

3.x: Here the sorcerers were set as having some kind of weird magical ancestor, and they stuck with that explanation ever since. Psionics was powered by the consciousness of sapient creatures and nothing else, so psions didn't need to worry about the Weave of magic or use spell components, not even verbal or somatic components. Psionics was no longer X-men style; anyone could study it and learn to manifest powers.

4e: Psionic classes got their powers from the ruins of an ancient gate built to keep the Far Realm out, and they had a particular enmity with aberrations. Sorcerers were the same as before.

5e: Mystics just use another kind of arcane magic. Sorcerers were the same as before.
>>
>>51950106
>assuming gender
>>
>>51950043
I might just ask people not to multiclass for everyone's convenience. I'm going to be the one that knows the system the most, and I have yet to try 5e once.

>>51950068
Okay but are psionics usable or are they a complete shitshow in this edition?
>>
>>51950152
>Okay but are psionics usable or are they a complete shitshow in this edition?

I don't think you understand. PSIONICS HAVE NOT BEEN RELEASED YET.
Is it more clear now?
>>
>>51950187

And if we are lucky they never will be.
>>
>>51950152
Psionics have never been a shitshow in any edition. No one seriously worried about Psions, of all classes, breaking the game. That was the domain of CoDzillas and Wizards. Psions are now even less powerful than they ever were, so people can't even bullshit about them being OP anymore.

There is no full Psionic class released yet. All we have is the Take 2 Mystic, which goes up to level 10, covers two archetypes (a utility / social guy and a melee guy) and just a handful of disciplines.
>>
>>51950142
>triggered
>>
>>51950203
>content that I don't have to use should never be usable for anyone because I don't like it
>>
>>51950071
For sure. I'd point any players looking to play four elements towards it.

The deal with if I homebrewed up my own edition is I'd be making something I'd probably play myself, which seems a bit cheesy, to design homebrew for oneself rather than someone else's usage.

I think I might want to think about other things first. I kind of want to do things like give everyone nerfed versions of 'compulsory' feats for free, such as 'Everyone gets GWM, but it doesn't apply to anything PAM applies to and it doesn't grant bonus action attacks. Everyone gets PAM, but it's reaction attacks only and you need proficiency with all polearms to use it. Everyone gets CBE, but it doesn't grant a bonus attack with hand crossbows. Everyone gets SS, but not on crossbows. All heavy armour classes get dual wielder.'

That's a different argument, though.
>>
>>51950043
Oh, and also:
Ambuscade and Assassination synergize so well that as a DM you HAVE to plan for it.
The whole party could forget about a whole tier of abilities, just to multiclass and get those, and would be stronger for it - when killing everybody first and asking questions later is the answer.

If you plan for it, it's a bit boring (characters are losing 4 levels, kissing goodbye high level abilities), but it means that 'filler' encounters, wandering monsters and the like, will be extremely quick, while you'll have to make sure that the important ones can't simply end in the first round with no witnesses, you'll have to stagger the encounters, require object interactions, and use other gimmicks.
It's gimmicky, but better than having the players murderhoboing their way around.
Of course, you could do that even if the players don't Ambuscade.
>>
>>51949955
I base it on the idea of just unlocking all the PHB disciplines as a minimalist homebrew. I'd only want 3 or 4 abilities in each discipline bundle.
>>
>>51950106
>implying I'm male

>>51950135
>Mystics just use another kind of arcane magic
Pretty sure that's not true.
>>
>>51950187
Oh, alright.

>>51950218
>Psionics have never been a shitshow in any edition.

I know, I wish more people I played with would realize that, but what can you do.

Still, a 10 level "take 2" playtest is better than nothing, though I guess it will be mostly for my own reference rather than for the perusal of my potential players.
>>
>>51949999
>Max damage quads
>>
/5eg/ help me.

I'm at a loss for ideas as to what to do in my upcoming session that I DM. The players are joining a rebellion/resistance group to overthrow the kingdom they live in, so I need ideas on things they can do.

Recently they overthrew a small village to gain a stronghold in the region for the group. I was thinking about having them blow up/sabotage an imperial airship in a nearby city.

Ideas?
>>
>>51950218
>Psionics have never been a shitshow in any edition
Psionic attacks in 3e. It WAS a shitshow, let's not sugar coat shit, that's gross.

It was great in 3.5, much more balanced than Core, and in 4e, but not in 3e.
>>
Rate my build
Fighter (Human Variant)
Tunnel Fighter Fighting Style
Feats
Sentinel (level 1)
Polearm Master (level 4)
Martial Adept (level 6)
Use later feats to max out strength, improve constitution, or increase general survivability (shield master, tough, resilient)

Reaction Attacks (first three count as opportunity attacks)
>When creatures enter my reach
>When creatures leave my reach (even if they disengage)
>When creatures move more than 5 feet while within my reach
>When creatures within 5 ft attack someone that isn't me
>When creatures attack me in melee (extra d8 damage on a hit)

Can use bonus actions to
>Do an extra d4 of damage
>Enter defensive stance for infinite opportunity attacks

Not really an OP build but seems fun as hell and would be useful as hell in narrow corridors where I can shelter block the enemies from reaching my party and get lots of extra attacks.
>>
Close your eyes for disadvantage on attack rolls.
Attack.
Use lucky to pick one of 3 d20s, as if you had advantage and also used lucky.
>>
>>51950282
They could breed flail snails to foil the enemy spellcasters
>>
>>51947703
>no flail whelk
>>
>>51950336
>>51949767
>>
>>51950282
There's two major parts to a rebel cause: the sabotage of the current regime, and the rallying of the masses behind your cause. Things like disabling communications between towns, making propaganda and recruiting civilians
>>
>>51950282
Is the empire already well characterized as evil?
Have it brutally take the village back while the party is away, leaving them with no way out but flying away in a damaged airship, while the rest of the empire fleet mobilizes from bases further away.
Then have them dogfight and stage boarding actions!
>>
>>51950282
Capture a bunch of enemy officers' families to use as hostages.
>>
>>51950282
Sabotage supply lines, procure supply lines, assassinate military leaders, prevent assassination of sympathetic military leaders, find allies, prevent enemies from summoning allies, breeding flail snails to foil the enemy spellcasters.
>>
>>51950282
Prevent executions.
Liberate political prisoners.
Stage a protest of some sort.
Proliferate rebel propaganda.
Defend against royalist raids on hideouts.

All sorts of stuff.
>>
>>51950289
Probably better to grab +strength or GWM over martial adept.
>>
>>51950368
I've portrayed the empire as a racist regime (the players have been arrested for simply being gnomes, drow, etc.)
>>
>>51950111

I don't want to have to be the one to break them in. It was bad man. The dm let one guy just slap the werewolf profile over his stats at lvl 1, giving him a multi attack and a bite all of which had higher damage profiles than any other party member. Non of them had actually bothered to read through the phb. They didn't even know what a barbarians rage did. I had to stop and say, "hold up, that's not how rage works in this edition", and explain it to them. They think they can just roll for stealth and magically disappear in the middle of an open arena. The nat 20 can do anything and 1's are crit failures that fuck you over meme is real to them. They're fucking pathfinder players. It would take me so much effort to break them in, and I don't know that it would be worth it to bring them to heel.
>>
>>51950420
>I've portrayed the empire as a racist regime
So you're playing in USA?
>>
>>51950420
>arrested for simply being gnomes, drow
Generally racism only works as a villainous backdrop if, you know, they're not justified or anything.
>>
File: tfw chaotic goods.jpg (103KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
tfw chaotic goods.jpg
103KB, 1280x720px
>>51950282
Kill them all. They're just terrorist murderhobos at heart, looking to sabotage the saftey and security of the empire.
>>
File: IT BEGINS.jpg (123KB, 1036x720px) Image search: [Google]
IT BEGINS.jpg
123KB, 1036x720px
>>51950282
>incite riots
>spread anti establishment propoganda
>Start the communist revolution
>Various assassinations
>Coercing various criminal organizations into "support"
>kidnapping the princess and converting her to the cause
>Winning over the nobles through blackmail, threats, and murder
>LIGHTING THE FIRES OF REVOLUTION
>>
>>51950441

Fuck off.
>>
>>51950314
>Be halfling, be divination wizard.
Keep rollin!
>>
>>51950441
Uh oh, Anon, looks like you've triggered the Trumpkin from yesterday! >>51950464
>>
>>51950441
Close enough. There's a huge drug problem in several of the cities (which the players actually have contributed to)
>>
>>51950282
Take a lesson from the CIA, undisputed kings of disrupting and toppling governments!
https://www.cia.gov/news-information/featured-story-archive/2012-featured-story-archive/CleanedUOSSSimpleSabotage_sm.pdf
>>
>>51950461
>>kidnapping the princess and converting her to the cause
Seems like a good job for the Bard.
>>
>>51950420
>Arresting all the fantasy creatures just for being fantasy creatures

Some BODY ONCE TOLD ME THE WORLD WAS GOING TO ROLL ME
I AIN'T THE SHARPEST TOOL IN THE SHE~ED.
>>
>>51949198
>>51949272
>Dual Wielding doesn't give too much as the levels rise
Unfortunately. It honestly really sucks that there isn't a sharpshooter or GWM equivalent for one handed weapons. She gave the dual wielder feat to incentivize dual wielding early on because of that, but I can't see myself really sticking with two weapons after level 5.

Yeah. I'm going to take sharpshooter and then crossbow expert at 4 and 6 then. Or see if I can switch dual wielding for one of them.
>>
>>51950420
I don't think arresting drow on sight is villainous in any official setting given how fucking diabolical they are. Gnomes are a give and take.
>>
File: images.jpg (11KB, 228x221px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
11KB, 228x221px
>>51950479
>Posting from my basement while being triggered by the patriarchy.
>>
>>51950550
>i-i'm not mad, y-you are
>>
>>51949631
>>
>>51950531
Drow are so villainous they managed to take over the Underdark of an alternate world that DIDN'T EVEN HAVE FUCKING DROW

FUCKING WHAT?
>>
>>51950234
I'd throw in free parts of feats to weapons by type. I'd probably make a universal power attack though, if it's not limited to greataxes/halberds. PM OA on pikes. PM bonus attack on glaives. Cleave on greatswords. No disadvantage ranged attacks for crossbows. Overhead bow shots get SS cover ignore.

Maybe it should be something unlocked by class or a feat like weapon master anyway though. Too much to list everything from a phone.
>>
>>51950417
GWM is overrated sure it increases damage but you will likely miss much more often at lower levels while the extra superiority die allows you another usage of your battlemaster abilities and with it an extra chance to act outside of your turn.

I tend to agree however that strength might be the better choice depending on how you roll. Up to level 8 I would consider 18 strength adequate, but if your highest ability is a 17 or lower or if you used point buy and thus are capped at 15 strength starting than I would take strength before martial adept and (especially at 15 or lower starting strength) potentially even before polearm master.
>>
>>51950624
What about GWM on Samurai UA, pretty awesome for that advantage, no?
>>
File: Tunnel Fighter OP.jpg (50KB, 592x488px) Image search: [Google]
Tunnel Fighter OP.jpg
50KB, 592x488px
Stat me.
>>
>>51950647
Well, but then you're a Samurai.
If your party knows how to flank it loses a lot of its lustre.
>>
So, after hearing all of the different opinions about Loremaster Wizards, how about a poll?

http://www.strawpoll.me/12437607
>>
>>51950441
>>51950479
Nah nah, you got it wrong friend.
>>51950464
Isn't the /pol/tard, he is the humble /tg/ dude who wants talk games not politics.
I'M the /pol/tard, and when I see Trump brought up I salivate, lick my fingers and play with my nipples at pictures of you people crying like babies on election night. My fap folder increased three sizes that day. The butthurt months and months is something I'll feeed off for years... 8 looong years. Mmmm.

>>51950481
More on topic, is your party general moral? There is a lot of underhanded options in revolution style campaigns. Even if they are, ensuring that their own side stays that way can spawn a couple missions, conquering split off factions to unite against the King.
>>
>>51950652
I count 21 dead kobolds.

>>51950670
But everyone doesn't use flanking rules.
>>
>>51950672
Lore Wizard is absolutely haram
>>
>>51950679
*generally moral
>>
>>51950282
>Recently they overthrew a small village to gain a stronghold in the region for the group.
I am guessing the village is part of the kingdom. I would have a group of knights be sent in to retake the village and execute the rebels.

Maybe just have it be some nobles under a local count maybe led by one of his sons. Nobody really important gives a shit but the count lost a good bit of potential wealth with that town and wants it back. After that they could focus on taking the entire county, convincing the count to join them (we captured your son join us and he will go free and we will ensure you are rewarded once we win), or whatever.
>>
>>51950699
GOBLINS*, not kobolds.
>>
>>51950679
They're pretty darn evil. I believe they are all somewhere in the lawful/neutral/chaotic evil spectrum.

They've been selling drugs to help fund the revolution for example.
>>
>>51950699
>But everyone doesn't use flanking rules.
When they don't the first thing the spellcasters do is
>grant advantage
it's just too good to miss it.
>>
>>51950251
She's the most obvious case of telepathy in Middle Earth, she destroys the walls of Dol Guldur, but also heals, scrys, sends around magical creatures and hands out magic items. The latter two are obviously not necessarily linked to any powers whatsoever, as well as being generally a great tactician.

She's the equal of Feanor "equal even if unlike endowments."

Gandalf sure doesn't seem to have the powers of massive destruction and whatever powers he does have he is stingy as hell about using, so I think Galadriel is by far the best ally possible of a non valar.
>>
File: paladincharts.png (30KB, 743x597px) Image search: [Google]
paladincharts.png
30KB, 743x597px
>>51950624
Kinda depends

The bonus action, if you get it, allows you to make a slightly stronger than 1d4 attack, though that's not really worth much.
What is worth something is.. When you're using a 1d10 or 1d4 attack, you're dealing less damage than a 2d6 GWF greatsword, and so you have less to lose by giving yourself +10 to damage. Of course, you might not want to use it on attacks to stop an enemy from moving, but adding GWM is much better than +2 strength, usually.
It becomes even better if you get advantage, bless or any feature that increases your chance to hit.

The only issue is you need to know when to use it.

But if your DM constantly throws high AC enemies at you, I guess it's not really worth it. It's also a lot less reliable if you're not sure about roughly how high enemy AC will be and if you're sure you're not going to get strength to 20 for better hit chance awfully quick.
>>
>>51947775
>can solo potentially infinite kobolds with a single bonus action.

Yes, if primarily ranged opponents decide to enter melee with a fighter, the fighter can trounce them easily, as he should.
>>
What 'genre' of metamagic isn't there yet? There are some that are weak, but they cover concepts, like doing more damage.
>>
>>51950672
>people are actually answering 'yes' and allowing multiclassing
Yeah this poll is already worthless
>>
File: 1486909888992.gif (2MB, 316x213px) Image search: [Google]
1486909888992.gif
2MB, 316x213px
>>51950672
>3/9 votes or yes, multiclassing allowed
They... They're only memeing, right?
>>
>>51950843
Changing damage type of spells
>>
>>51948678
>decide to throw easy encounters at the pcs
>wonder why they seem to be easy

Wow! Its the magical problem that solves itself!
>>
>>51950734
Oh shit, now you have a campaign. You can literally go anywhere with that.
>make deals with demons/devils/yog-soloth for power to fight the kingdom
>Blood sacrifice rituals, why not
>mind control plots
>mass poison or disease terrorism
I'm jelly man. For my previous idea, you could flip it around and have some of the rebels rebel against the rebellion due to it's unethical nature, you can have sellouts to the King, you can have the King starting to make the rebellion look bad through various pretend rebels.
>>51950728
This guy has a point too, a King who is slackin (or nobles who slack) don't last very long. Now that they are starting to make waves have someone pick up on that, actually, have LOTS of people pick up on that.
Other countries for example, willing to fund the rebellion for a slice of the pie, offering powerful artifacts and magic items.
...Soo many ways you can go, I'm jelly bro.
>>
>>51950843
I don't know if this is on purpose, but sorcerers suck and changing the shape of their area spells. Careful Spell is much worse than the evoker's Sculpt Spells.
>>
>>51950856
>>51950862
People are allowed to like something you dislike.
>>
>>51950804
Mostly this. Magic in Tolkien's works tends to be subtle - Aragorn arguably uses magic to track the Uruk-Hai, and the Ring-Wraiths use magic to track the ring, even if none of them gesture and chant.

That said, Gandalf is fairly powerful. It's just that his job specifically stipulates he is not meant to fight the mortals' fights for them. He had no qualms using his power to combat the Balrog or Saruman, because they were fallen angels and shouldn't have been assisting the enemy.

I have no idea what the original argument is about, but the Tolkien nerd in me wanted to chime in.
>>
>>51948680
>floating tentacle potato as my second

what
>>
>>51950652
Probably sun monk. Unarmed, doesn't give a shit about the clearly uncoordinated idiots pointing swords at him, and knows he can AoE them to death in a round or two.

Not tunnel fighter. He is unarmed, and they are already in close combat with him. They should have been dead before getting that close, and if he can't one shot them, he is probably in trouble now.
>>
>>51950902
It's not about liking it or not, it's about being literally retarded or not
>>
>>51950429

Pathfinder players aren't that bad.
>>
>>51950647
The issue with samurai is that you now have three bonus actions with which to compete.
>+d4 damage when using a glaive
>Infinite opportunity attacks
>Advantage
The reason battlemaster stacks well is twofold. One is that it allows you more opportunities to act outside of your normal turn order with parry and riposte as well as allowing you to trip or disarm enemies. The other is that it doesn't interfere with other abilities. Pretty much enemies next to you get attacked whenever they do literally anything.
>Run away?
Get attacked
>Attack you?
Get attacked (with an extra d8 damage)
>Attack someone else?
Get attacked
>Pivot around you too far?
Get attacked

Without battlemaster there is no penalty to attacking you and reprisals, especially with the extra d8 makes approaching you that much worse for them. Another advantage is that push means that the enemy has no choice but to get mauled by you under some circumstances twice.
>Attack enemy
>Push them back
>Enemy has to approach you again (you get to attack them)
>Enemy attacks you or someone next to you (you get to attack them)
Combining that with action surge means that you can effectively get 6 attacks in a turn (two attacks, two more from action surge, enemy approaches you and gets attacked, and enemy attacks you and gets attacked). Assuming everything hits (which is a pretty big assumption but still) you will do a total of 6d10+2d8(push and riposte)+18 damage over a single turn at 16 strength for an average of 60 damage at level 5.
>>
>>51950902
>People are allowed to be stupid
ftfy

If people said 'Yes, but no multiclassing' or there was an option saying 'Yes, but you're not allowed to do anything clearly broken' then sure.
>>
>>51950862
No, I just don't think my players would abuse it too much because I know and trust them.

>>51950895
Can this meme cease? Sorcerers are fine, it's wizards who are the problem.
>>
>>51950932
If you take the UA knight, you get some reaction attacks from that.

Battlemaster purely for riposte seems not awfully worth it.
>>
>>51949875
>Then again I'm also grumpy about the barbarian being its own class instead of a background so there's that.

what a pointless thing to be upset about, outlander or whatever suffices for barbarian the background
>>
>>51947775
Or he hides right around the corner in a tight corridor, and makes it impossible to shoot him without stepping into his AoO
>>
>>51950924
I would allow it just to see what my players would do with it. The sad truth is most players are ignorant of what their classes are REALLY capable of with the right builds, and watching some of my dudes fumble around with Lore Wizard (which would probably just be lightning fireballs %95 of the time) sounds like a lot of fun for me. I already plan to use a Lore Wizard as an antagonist for weird spell shenanigans.
>>
>>51950963
If you want to nerf wizards, that's fine but kind of unrelated.
>>
>>51950963
>Sorcerers are fine, it's wizards who are the problem.

Nah, sorcerer was borked in 3e as well. Zero reason to harm a functional class (one that isn't even the top notch caster class) to benefit a retardo class.
>>
>>51951050
My beef with lore wizards, as a GM, is that my players are fucking shit at describing anything.

No, your fireball isn't just dealing lightning damage. And no, it isn't just doing ice damage. A fireball isn't made of fucking ice.

It could be a lightning discharge. Or a hail of ice shards. Or a sudden low temperature zone that flash freezes everything in the area for the damage.

I don't even care about how powerful it is, I just want the bare minimum of effort put into it. I don't feel like that is unreasonable.
>>
>>51950986
You could also use rally to heal allies, parry to decrease damage, or push to force enemies to enter your range and give you free attacks again. Knight's ability is almost entirely useless.
>Give enemies disadvantage if they attack someone else
>You can attack them if they attack someone else (which you can already do thanks to sentinel which is vital anyway to keep enemies from fleeing)
Fighting the same build against a knight I would just walk up to the fighter and stab them to death, they only get one opportunity attack at all.

Fighting a battlemaster most enemies would struggle to ever keep up the damage the fighter could do because they get d10+d8+x damage every time they attack the fighter (up to 4 or 5 times) plus the fighter's normal two attacks per turn plus action surge. Think of this entire part of the fight using the battlemaster and the knight.
Vs Knight
>Enemy approaches knight
>Knight attacks for d10+x damage
>Enemy attacks knight
>Knight attacks for 2d10+2x damage

>Enemy attacks knight

>Enemy attacks knight
Knight does a total of 7d10+7x damage over three turns (average of 59.5 with 16 strength)

Vs Battlemaster
>Enemy approaches battlemaster
>Battlemaster attacks for d10+x damage
>Enemy attacks battlemaster
>Battlemaster retaliates for d10+d8+x damage
>Battlemaster attacks for 2d10+2x damage

Battlemaster does a total of 10d10+3d8+10x damage (average of 98.5 with 16 strength)

Ultimately the problem with knight is that it gives you abilities that feats already give you.
>>
Is there any decent firbolg art out there? I can't find any
>>
Uhhh...

I and my friend both hallucinated that there was some text in 5e about how holy avengers were made by angels and aren't necessarily swords, and even remarked upon it to each other, now that I look, it says ayup, they're swords, although there's a thing on modifying items that says its okay to let a flail wielding paladin get a holy flail, etc.
>>
File: Firbolg-5e.jpg (285KB, 834x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Firbolg-5e.jpg
285KB, 834x1280px
>>51951249
>>
>>51951279
sorry, I mean aside from the pic in volo's
>>
>>51951279
TUMBLRNOSE

Looks FUCKING PAINFUL
>>
>>51950903
>the ringwraiths use magic to track the ring

Their ability to sense when someone is wearing the ring is presumably magical, but it's very limited. They seem to be oblivious to the Ring when nobody is wearing it, and even though Gollum presumably put on the Ring several times during the centuries he had it, the ringwraiths never seemed to notice. Their magic is weak.

Gandalf has used magic in battle against non-Ainur, and he's also been fairly frank about the limits of his magic. He can't throw D&D-style fireballs - he can't do any kind of fire magic at all without appropriate fuel. He mostly defeated the balrog by hitting it really hard with a good sword. His magic is weak.

The only explicitly magical thing I can recall Aragorn doing is curing the Black Breath by breathing on an herb that's useless to anyone who isn't a king. His magic is weak.

Magical plot devices happen in Middle-earth all the time, in the form of kitschy dramatic changes in the weather and the behavior of vegetation, but those aren't really under anyone's control except maybe Eru's.
>>
File: 1488136373103.jpg (110KB, 301x536px) Image search: [Google]
1488136373103.jpg
110KB, 301x536px
>>51951249
This is a color/finish someone did of one of the concept art pieces.
There isn't shit for art since they did a new design; half of the 5e books use recycled art anyways. I'd say to try the drawfags if you're hurting.
>>
How do we make combat more interesting than "I attack/cantrip and repeat for every turn?"
>>
>>51951314
Nice cheers, it just surprises me that there isn't a lot more
>>
>>51951338
Play a different game and stop bothering people who have no problem with the current paradigm

Or just play Battlemaster fighter, your choice
>>
>>51951338
Not really difficult, use different terrain, use traps that enemies use as cover but a wily PC can knock them into, use meh front line for the enemy but heavy duty casters/archers/etc. so as to incentivize the PCs breaking through to harass them, etc.
>>
Where's the best place to get figures? I want a wizard mini but I can't find any variety on Amazon.
>>
>>51951338
Lore Wizard.
>>
>>51948678
m8 they are a full squad of mercenaries, throw small war-bands at them, also rebalancing encounters for players is not bad DMing unless you are actively trying to kill their PC.

You can also make challenges that are not related to combat, like terrain (deserts, frozne wastes, high seas,etc).

>ib4 I gave them like 3 magical items to my players, hurr durr why are they steam rolling everything.
>>
>>51951353
There are people who like the current paradigm? Have they ever played 4e to know what they're missing?
>>
File: cloaky.jpg (8KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
cloaky.jpg
8KB, 300x168px
Did you ever had such a nice cloak /tg/?

I also liked the idea that magic items choose the wizard.
>>
>>51951384
4e's okay but I wouldn't say 5e compares unfavorably other than... warlocks (and missing classes altogether)
>>
>>51951184
I gave up on my guys describing all their attacks/abilities ect ages ago. How it goes down now is I'll describe it unless how they do it is mechanically relevant or could be cool, then I'll ask them. For Lore Wizard, I would ask unless they had done that flavor of spell variation before.
>>
>>51951384
>"Stop liking things I don't like," the post
Just accept that some people enjoy it even if you don't. Your life will become simpler for it.
>>
>>51951338
There's a 2-step process
>read the Fell's Five comic
>make combat happen sort of like that
There's no combat where at least one of the following does not apply
>it's a running battle
>there are essential objects that the party will interact with, possibly traps
>if traps: they'll be sprung in the goblins'faces
>the objective isn't killing the enemy to the last man, and actually that might not be possible at all - good objectives: grabbing clues, items or people, running away, making your enemy fight an other enemy
>>
>>51951363
Yeah, I've tried this, but resources are so tight in 5e that my players will rarely commit them to take advantage of battlefield features.
>>
>>51951247
You're forgetting the other things.
>The attack has advantage
>You get reaction attacks for the enemy moving WITHIN your range, not just for entering it
>You deal extra damage equal to your fighter level (Often more than a superiority die will give you)
>You can make reaction attacks even when you have already used your reaction
>Level 18, you have tunnel fighter for free without using a bonus action and +1 AC

You can also use the reaction attack after making a reaction attack on the same turn with tunnel fighter (because it doesn't use your reaction, if I remember correctly)

Of course, the real issue is that everything inbetween level 18 and 3 is kinda shitty.

Sure, on a one-on-one stationary fight without tunnel fighter battlemaster would do better, but how often do you get stationary one-on-one fights?

As I'm seeing it, knight is just a super-specialized battlemaster focusing solely on reaction attacks.
>>
>>51951369
If you have more money than cares, Heroforge is a website that lets you make characters and order them.
If you've not got deep pockets, look for Reaper Bones minis on Amazon.
>>
>>51951369
There's a LEGO expansion.
>>
>>51951407
Combat wise, 5e absolutely sucks compared to 4e, though in all other respects it is reasonable to believe 5e is superior.

>>51951430
Could you explain what it is you like about 5e combat? Currently I find your opinion baffling.
>>
File: Hydia.jpg (295KB, 1493x761px) Image search: [Google]
Hydia.jpg
295KB, 1493x761px
I have about 8 players at level 8 for Storm Kings Thunder my party has decided to go take care of the Stone Giants first. There is a Barbarian Leader of the Blue Bear tribe named Hydia Moonmusk there who is working with the Stone Giants to destroy all civilization on the surface world. She's a Gladiator with the following changes to combat... She has 3 spears.

She seems like a really cool character and something that will pop out for this chapter of the campaign so I am trying to make her and her warriors a bigger threat to the party. So here is what I was thinking.

>Give her 150HP
>Upgrade her armor to Breast Plate giving her 18AC once you add in the +2 Dex mod
>She has 2 adult Cave bears (With Polar Bear stats) that follow her. I think it would be cool if she also had an armored bear she rode on. Give it 18AC also 120HP
>Also considering to change those spears out for 6 Javelins and instead have her dual wield battle axes.
>Also for every 5 tribal warriors in an area I am thinking of adding one Berserker.
>Even considering adding a Stone Giant to one of these Barbarian parties.

I want this to be more of a challenge without making them pop all their good shit seeing as they still have a cave full of Stone Giants to clear out. However these guys also got pretty lucky on treasure loot and most of which are rocking some high attack modifiers. Also last game our Fighter rolled and got the Helm of Brilliance as treasure.
>>
>>51951443
Seems tunnel fighting + PAM is going to be useful in basically 99% of battles where you can melee at all. Polearms are just that good.
>>
>>51951483
I'm not the anon you replied to, but I really like how streamlined it is, and for our group, it flows well. It might not be as simulationist as 4e, but I'm completely okay with that.
>>
>>51951502
PAM is a god-tier feat, practically compulsory for any strength-based build and even some charisma (shillelagh) builds. Heck, even a monk could use it if they weren't so feat starved.
>>
>>51951184
I'd definitely rule that the lore wizard has to be able to describe how his shit works yeah. "I replace the thermal energy component of my fireball with static energy", "I reverse the temperature of my fireball into negative degrees, creating a cold blue flame."
>>
>>51951483
>Combat wise, 5e absolutely sucks compared to 4e,

Eh. Can you at least pretend to present an argument?
>>
>>51951484
Don't upgrade the encounters, just double the numbers they'll encounter.
8 characters are a lot, that's 2 party worth of them. Either split the party or double up on the monsters.
>>
>>51951528
what's wrong with a monk PAMming? Seems the most obvious choice for a L4 feat
>>
File: tier1dc.science.jpg (394KB, 1274x1388px) Image search: [Google]
tier1dc.science.jpg
394KB, 1274x1388px
>>51951536
>Cold flame
>Negative degrees

UNSCIENTIFIC

>Not a cold literally anything else, frostball, creeping mist
>Not heading into double digits of degrees instead of negative degrees
>>
>>51951542
4e combat encourages highly mobile and diverse fights, as well as combo moves between teammates. With experienced players and DMS, it runs as fast as 5e, while delivering a more tactically rich experience. Also there are way less class imbalances.
>>
>>51951561
You're wasting half a feat, since monks already get a similar bonus action attack.
>>
>>51951561
They don't need the bonus action, and they're probably the most ASI-starved classes of all. Also, if you want to get a feat with variant human or at level 4, mobile is better.

Monks aren't melee powerhouses, and aren't tanks, and mobile keeps their asses secure.

That said, I guess you can use stunning strike with PAM's reaction.
>>
>>51951597
Never played 4e before. Was told that the dislike for it was due to it playing to much like a video game instead of a roleplay with how it's mechanics work. Not sure how true that is.
>>
>>51951443
>The attack has advantage
Only if it falls under them attacking someone else or moving within your range. If the enemy sits still and directs all its attacks against you you gain nothing from being a knight.
>You get reaction attacks for the enemy moving WITHIN your range, not just for entering it
So does tunnel fighter, granted it's 5 feet as opposed to 1 foot but my group at least uses a 5x5 foot per square grid so you it is hard to gain any advantage by moving less than 5 feet.
>You deal extra damage equal to your fighter level (Often more than a superiority die will give you)
Once again you need advantage which you get from your enemy either moving around for some reason or attacking someone else. If your enemy is retarded that might work.
>You can make reaction attacks even when you have already used your reaction
Tunnel fighter already lets you do that.
>Level 18, you have tunnel fighter for free without using a bonus action and +1 AC
Building for level 18 is retarded.

Ultimately a reasonable enemy would deal with your fighter by sitting still and attacking your fighter. You get zero opportunity attacks outside of your initial attack when they enter your reach, besides that you are just a pile of wasted feats. Your strategy hinges on your enemy realizing your capabilities and saying "hmm do I want to attack him or do I want to attack another person and get attacked? I know I will move three feet and then attack someone else while still within his reach."

Also you only get three uses of the fighter's ability per short rest, you never gain more as opposed to the 4 uses or riposte you get at level 3 which should be 7 by the time you reach level 15 regaining one any time you roll for initiative at level 15.
>>
>>51951555
I'm running this game for my flgs. There were 3 other DM's including myself running this game then we saw a drop off in players and one of the GM's quit. I was DMing for a consistent group of four but recently 4 more players showed up in the span of 3 weeks who were interested in learning and playing so they came to my group. It's a walk in game, so right now the number of people I have per week fluctuates between 6-8.

Doubling up the encounters also seems like a good idea. However my main concern was for mini boss and boss characters seeing as for a party of 8 they can easily take them down or close to death within a round.
>>
>>51951594
It's just a small tempothermodynamic disjunction. The fucking wizard is taking away the heat from THIS point in time and space, to bring it back with the next fireball in an other point in time and space.
Pls remember to cast that fireball, or we'll end up with a paradox.
>>
>>51951452
Damn, HeroForge is insanely detailed but it doesn't have the hairstyle I want. They have a mohawk but I want it horizontal, ala side to side like a Centauri from Babylon 5, not back to front like a normal one.

Do they allow custom details? If I pick the mohawk can I email them asking them to put it horizontal instead?
>>
>>51951502
>Polearms are just that good.
>Goes into a tight ass dungeon.
>>
>>51951675
If it's not a serious campaign, you could make combat work like a wrestling match, with a ring and half a team waiting to 'tag in' on the sidelines.

In a more serious campaign, you'll need double the bosses, or just double up the HPs, and give an extra turn per round and some legendary saves.
>>
>>51951648
Yeah, that is a problem, but not the one you think.

4e was written poorly, and what a lot of people played was videogames, but they weren't playing 4e correctly. Inb4 no true Scotsman. A lot of the reasons people think it was videogamey are based on misunderstandings of the rules. Like the common idea that you couldn't use attack abilities out of combat. Or misunderstanding of how skill challenges work.
>>
>>51951705
>Enemies can't pass you
>Enemies that approach still get stabbed
I see no issue. Act as a tank and hold back the enemies while your party blasts them into oblivion with magic and arrows.
>>
File: 1488148039769.jpg (24KB, 297x303px) Image search: [Google]
1488148039769.jpg
24KB, 297x303px
>>51951381
The only magical item they have is bag of holding

>the druid has been putting little cute animals in it so she might someday summon the like a wave of fluffy Armageddon

>neither me or the warlock player has the heart to tell her what happens to them.
>>
>>51951436
Then punish them for not doing that. Create challenges that require them to expend their limited resources.
>>
>>51950152
Psionics have not been officially released yet, there have been two playtests of the system that so far harken back to the feel and perhaps een flavor of 2E psionics in the form of the Mystic class. The third draft and full 20 levels of progression for the third playtest was, according to Mike Mearl's twitter, was penned just before New Years and set to be edited.

6 divisions/subclasses in the form of Mystic Orders with more than 50 powers/disciplines to be edited down. Now more than two months later those of us who have been following are quite hungry for this draft to be released in Unearthed Arcana.

While WoTC was doing UA as a weekly article instead of monthly to cover new options for each class we expected it after the Wizard/Warlock playtest from two weeks ago...instead we got new rules for large scale army battles and now a new set/system of trap building options.

So we are either in the midst of a wave of DM toolkits after the wave of player options, or we are miring through various bits of esoterica before they release the third version of the Mystic.
>>
>>51951701
I doubt it.
If you're dedicated like I was, I can point you to >>51940106

welcome hell
>>
>>51951725
The goal for this campaign is for it to be casual though not retarded. Also to help new players learn 5E and to develop their characters. With that in mind though I think I will just give all the encounters and HP and number boost with some legendary save or two on a boss.

Seeing as they are also gonna have to fight a Stone Giant Lord here on her own turf, might make sense to give her some lair actions as well.
>>
Is it worth trying 5e? I've been playing 3.5 non stop. Feeling like trying something fresh
>>
>>51951761
>>
>>51951750
In order to swing a polearm you need a lot of space around you. It's not a spear that you just stab front and back. Using any weapon with the heavy property in a tight corridor would be out of the question at my table.
>>
>>51950672
>http://www.strawpoll.me/12437607

Why is almost no one voting for the moderate path of allowing the Loremaster Wizard, without allowing it to spiral out of control?
>>
>>51951822
So,
>Yes, but you can't use this feature, or this feature, or this feature
????
>>
>>51951734
I might be the only one that has this opinion...from what I've seen of the cleric in 4e; their turn undead was more a push and damage ability. Instead of 5e's supposve auto win channeling ability that I've seen in many campaigns. How can DM's run games with undead creatures with clerics in the party who can make the entire encounter trivial with one ability?
>>
>>51951808
5e is the best edition of D&D.
>>
>>51951808
5e won't be fresh coming from 3.5. is basically 3.5 lite. Instead of the casters completely outclassing the martials in all respects, the casters only mostly outclass the martials in most respects.
>>
I'm looking for a different way to do skill challenges apart from "Here's the obstacle, roll dice, pass/fail" rinse and repeat. Anyone have any ideas on how to freshen up a skill challenge?
>>
>>51951597
>it runs as fast as 4e

Eh.

>a more tactically rich experience

Not sure if I buy that. The big issue with 4e, besides fuckhuge amounts of hit points for enemies, is that healing and leader types in general are so good that you're stupid not to take it, yet they are pretty terrible outside their role. Similarly, so much of a defender's utility is wasted if the two share targets.

Healing is still hella powerful in 5e compared to 3e and prior, but its not mandatory.

All in all I like 4e, but you're EXTREMELY locked in.
>>
>>51951822
Because the issue with lore wizard is that multiclassing makes it worse.
>>
>>51951843
>skeleton archers
>>
>>51951808
5e is something like playing 3.5 with a ruleset that actually works. I hear it's closer to 2e actually, but I'm a 1990s baby who never played that so I wouldn't know. At any rate, maybe look somewhere else for "fresh".
>>
File: 1488147570598.png (29KB, 201x226px) Image search: [Google]
1488147570598.png
29KB, 201x226px
>>51951761

I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO

SHE'S GOING TO FIND OUT ONE WAY OR ANOTHER
>>
>>51951868
It happens mid-combat, or mid-chase.
>>
>>51951893
We did fine without healing in 4e. Same for leaders. And healing is way more overpowered in 5e than 4e, since healing is rarely limited.
>>
>>51951705

The main counter to "polearms are just that good" is "good luck finding good magic polearms instead of magic swords," not "hope the DM houserules polearms to suck.

>>51951818
Yeah, makes sense that the guy specialized in fighting in cramped underground tunnels would be useless in cramped underground tunnels.
>>
>>51951957
>makes sense for the guy specialized in fighting in cramped tunnels to be using a weapon that is inappropriate for fighting in cramped tunnels
Is your character a retard?
>>
>>51951761
>>51951931
Oh my fucking god, I hope I'm around for the thread where you follow up on this.
>>
>>51951658
>Only if it falls under attacking someone else or moving within your range
With 10ft reach, it's entirely possible they might move within your range. If you don't use tunnel fighter, one enemy moves with 10ft of you, you reaction attack and stop them, another enemy might walk up and try the same. You can then use your non-reaction to stop a second enemy from moving within 5ft of you. And a third. And a forth. With advantage and +level damage, but of course only three times a short rest (As opposed to, say, riposte four times a short rest).
>Enemies never have a reason to move
>Tunnel fighter already lets you do that
If you use a bonus action. And even if you use tunnel fighter, if you miss a PAM reaction attack you can make another attack with knight to try to stop them from moving, which you can't do normally with tunnel fighter unless you have more than 10ft reach.
>Ultimately, a reasonable enemy would deal with you by attacking you and not attack the vulnerable wizard at the back while you stand there, stacking AC and dodging
Well, you've just done your job, congratulations.
If an enemy stands there and just attacks, it has the same problems as a player just standing there and attacking. If the combat doesn't involve moving around at all, your DM's building shit encounters.

>lots of superiorty dice
If you get to high levels, at which point knight's kinda lackluster as I've mentioned with the abilities after 3 being kinda meh.
Most of the game, it's 4/5 dice.
>>
>>51951952
Don't know much of free action instant recovery of 25% to 50% of your ally's health that comes back every encounter and generally isn't competing with any other resource in 5e.

I don't find 4e very "tactically interesting," since 4e chars are best when crazy, CRAZY specialized. It struck me as mostly about pouring in the most amount of hurt in a narrow window of opportunity.
>>
>>51951957
I can't figure out if you're 15 or just don't give a fuck about realism. I don't want to nerf anything. But if you choose TF you don't combine it with a polearm because POLEARMS DON'T FIT IN A SMALL TUNNEL. If you have chosen to treat all weapons the same way regardless the actual mechanics of the weapon's use, cool.
>>
>>51951868
Look up skill challenges in the 4e dmg, then look up advice on how to run them properly, because the 4e dmg is written extremely poorly for that section. The basic rules are,

Present a problem for the party. Have them propose solutions. Roll the relevant roll. The problem either gets better, or worse, depending on the success or failure. But it isn't solved yet, just morphed. Change the problem in a way that might encourage a different set of skills, which another player character might have. Ask for solutions. Repeat until the party has either succeeded enough or failed enough, then detail the consequences.

Example in next post.
>>
>>51951761
Take the bag from them. Take the corpses out. Give it back. Tell them the animals ran off somewhere.

Try to convince unwise 'Nothing bad will happen to animals if I put them in a tiny box and leave them there!' druid not to do it anymore.
>>
>>51951972

I care literally nothing for your retarded house rules.
>>
>>51952061
How the fuck is "how a polearm literally functions" a house rule?
>>
>>51951957
>Good luck finding people making magic weapons of ACTUALLY USEFUL WEAPONS
>Here, have a magical sling. What, you don't use slings? NOBODY DOES! THE WIZARD WHO MAKES ALL THE MAGICAL ITEMS IS BATSHIT INSANE.

Let's be honest, any real magical weapon maker is going to make good weapons, and polearms are simply the best weapons, so you should find more polearms than any other weapon.
>>
>Months ago
>"Guys, I'm going to run a Naruto game using 5e"
>Of course ends in dissaster
>Another anon decides to step in and run his game
>Naruto anon now: "Guys, I'm going to run a WH 40k game using 5e"
WHYYYYYY
Also why rest of anons still keep letting him do it? I know I'm kinda new in the group but they must realize the stupidity of his actions
>>
>>51952029
You forgot quotation marks around "realism" bud

>But if you choose TF you don't combine it with a polearm

Its primarily for polearms. I bet the tunnel fighting prestige class back in the day that specialized in using reach weapons in tunnels also triggers you.
>>
>>51952090
Nah mate, you don't understand the primary purpose of magic weapons.

It's masturbatory. It's "Oooh, look how important I am".

And the weapon for that? Swords. The sports cars of the weapon world.
>>
>>51951761
I've seen the opposite of that. Pretty ingenious. Wizard had the Bag of Devouring. Used reduce person on bandit; caught said bandit, and threw him inside the bag of devouring.
>>
>>51952081

How is making new rules to punish people capriciously a house rule? How about you tell me?
>>
>>51952116
>Its primarily for polearms
You're objectively wrong

Also, not all reach weapons are equal. Some are perfect for tunnels, like thrusting weapons, which a polearm isn't.
>>
>>51952141
Where the fuck did I say anything about a new rule?
>>
>>51952090
No idea what your point is. Are you saying that, OBVIOUSLY, Dawnbringer, Excalibur, and Blackrazor and so forth should be halberds instead, and the art and lore is stupid and wrong, or what?

Would you really start REEEEEEEEing when someone found a sunblade (a finessable longsword) and you wanted... what, exactly? A finessable halberd?
>>
File: 1488148829096.jpg (19KB, 326x294px) Image search: [Google]
1488148829096.jpg
19KB, 326x294px
>>51951761
>>51951931
>>51951984

"YOUR TIME HAS COME BAD GUY! "
" GO MY FLUFFY ARMY BE FREE!"

>*squelch* *splat*
>druid screams

>bad guy is just PIC RELATED
>>
>>51952143
>You're objectively wrong

Nopers. Don't use words you don't understand again, faggot.

Now go sic an ogre ambush on PCs and lecture them about how polearms won't fit
>>
>>51952212
>Don't use words you don't understand
Lol
Don't use weapons you don't understand
>>
File: PH-page96.png (391KB, 470x507px) Image search: [Google]
PH-page96.png
391KB, 470x507px
>>51952116
Let me guess. You also find these knives from the PH cool, huh? If a blacksmith sold these you would pay whatever to buy them, right? Because they CAN'T BE HANDLED AT ALL. The same applies to polearms in a indoors closed space.

Fantasy is ok but combat needs a bit of realism. Of course at your table you can do whatever you want.
>>
>>51952165

See >>51952081
The goal is to engage in homebrew to punish players for doing things you don't like.

>how the fuck is it a house rule that you can be stabbed in the head by a fire giant and NOT DIE? that's LITERALLY OBJECTIVELY what happens if a giant stabbed you in the head

Making up shit from whole cloth to capriciously punish players is retarded.
>>
>>51952187
I'm saying that's all bullshit, yes.

When polearms are much better, why make a magical sword instead of a magical polearm?

'Because all the magical weapons in the past have been swords!', right?

But that makes no sense. In 5e's world, longswords are inferior weapons to almost everything, so why would you make a longsword?

A finessable longsword is literally just a fucking rapier.
>>
>>51949686
bump
also cant choose between halfing and dwarf
>>
>>51952090
Polearms are mercenary / soldier weapons, swords are noble weapons. There's your reason.

If there was a feat that allowed sword-users to hit any opponent that came to their reach (5ft), it would probably be roughly as popular as PAM, because swords are actually weapons that adventurers would use. 10ft range is of course better than 5ft, but they're probably gonna try to come hit you anyway, so unless you have Sentinel, too, it would make no difference.

Polearms are a not weapons for travelers. In a realistic context, they would be weary to carry and annoyingly fragile towards the elements.
>>
>>51952258
Are you stupid? This has literally nothing to do with not liking things, it has to do with being an actual retard. Do you have a real argument or are you going to continue chimping out about 'muh fantasy allows me to do stupid shit'?
>>
>>51952237
>The same applies to polearms in a indoors closed space.

Citation needed.
>>
>>51952309
Reality
>>
>>51952265
Answered in >>51952281
>>
>>51952281
Now, that's a pretty reasonable justification.

Still, you'd imagine some people would make polearms for heroes and such, the sort of people who go around slaying things all day, not just for self-protection for kings.

>>51952139
I'd say you're better off buying a party possé. All with pikes.
Now nobody can even approach you, and they sing praises of you all day.
>>
>>51952265
So at what point would you start raging, exactly?
If (ignoring that the module is bad) that one half dragon was chopping at your character with his necrotic greatsword, would you be REEEEing that "bullshit, that should be a halberd?"
>>
I can't find any good miniatures FUCK
>>
>>51952295

The entire point of the exercise is "well, sure, hordes of orcs and ogres can attack the PCs in dungeons, but in a game called dungeons and dragons, its just an oversight that weapons unusable in dungeons are a thing."

Being mad that I don't like your retarded homebrew is not becoming, anon.
>>
File: 1469562760284.jpg (22KB, 480x411px) Image search: [Google]
1469562760284.jpg
22KB, 480x411px
>>51951761
>>the druid has been putting little cute animals in it
>>
>>51952333
I mean, let's be honest, if it's the sword I think it is it's a big pile of shit design-wise.

But if fighters had enough training for a feat and had a choice between a simple +1 weapon and a +0 polearm, you'd expect the polearm to come up on top. Or they'd simply modify the +1 weapon to the end of a pole. Or something.

It's not really ree-worthy because it's kind of a minor detail. What is ree-worthy is if your DM denies any and all possible attempts to turn something completely polearm-worthy into a polearm.
>>
>>51952330
>All with pikes.

Pikes appear to have no purpose whatsoever, just glaive/halberd analogs that can't get the full benefit of PAM.
>>
>>51952374
>>51952374
>>51952374

New thread

>>51952374
>>51952374
>>51952374
>>
Thoughts on these warlock changes?

>spells restore only at long rests
>after a certain amount of spells used (I was thinking equal to proficiency), the warlock must spend an entire turn to be able to cast spells again at the end of her next turn

How many slots per day should the warlock have? Do you like this change?
>>
>>51952362
>dungeons = cramped tunnels
Ok now I'm absolutely sure you're just baiting
>>
>>51952360
Then make them.
>>51940106
>>
>>51952143
>a polearm isn't a thrusting weapon
Halberds, maybe, but they also have a spike on top. Virtually all long-hafted weapons are meant to be wielded in formations and stabbed forward.

>>51952237
As a real-life weapons user, this picture triggers me.

>>51952281
In real life, the reach weapon user has one chance at a stab/slice before all he can do is use his weapon like a stick and try to deflect a barrage of sword attacks. Polearms are squad weapons, swords are dueling weapons. That's why nobles and urban peeps carried them around - for one-on-one conflicts.
>>
>>51952090
>mass infantry warfare weapon
>making magical versions of something that isn't used often in 1 on 1 combat where VIPs who can afford a magic item fight
You're more likely to find a magic mace so knights can pummel each other easier.
>>
>>51948678
Tuckers Kobolds.
It's not like the game bans monsters using teamwork or anything.
That warboss should've had about 6-10 other orcs with him. A good rule of thumb for making a challenging encounter is to make a monster roughly equal to the PC they are supposed to directly challenge, then put in 0.75 to 1.5 per PC.
Also, boost enemy AC, HP, weapons, and bonuses. Feel free to fluff it is "The orc god now hates you. He has called the most elite orc operators to operate operationally on your ass."
Just play with the fluff, so Orc snipers.
>>
>>51951308

I am fairly certain that Gandalf issue is the whole "can't use his full power because "not too much interference" bullshit.
>He mostly defeated the balrog by hitting it really hard with a good sword
Hitting it with a super magical artifact sword helped quite a lot, I am sure. From the way it is described, it sounds like a +3 sword at LEAST.
>>
>>51952505
Another reason why swords were also carried around is very simple. Scabbards. On. Belts.

Swords aren't a primary weapon, but pretty much everyone who could afford one carried one to battle, because it was effortless to carry around.
>>
>>51951308
What about the whole water washing away the ring wraiths thing? Now, I am mostly remembering the movies because I haven't read the book in over a decade. I'm pretty sure it was less dramatic, but I think it still happened.
>>
Are valor bards halfway good? Not really compared to say lore bards (as I feel like lore is just the superior choice but feel free to argue that, it would help) but just in general, as I'm wanting to play one.
My big question is how fucked/allright are they in a melee? Like should they just stay out and use their two attacks for arrows or when they're cornered, or can they provide effective melee support while still part time barding?
>>
>>51952042
Problem: the party is traveling through a deadly jungle, it really sucks, and their navigator NPCs head just started swelling at an alarming rate. The npc collapsed and began bleeding slightly out of his eyes. The npc is unconscious. I've set this as a 5 successes before 3 failures challenge.

The party ranger asks if he can identify this as a natural phenomenon. He rolls a nature check, and fails.

The npc is starting to bleed out of his nose too, and is moaning in unconscious pain. He begins seizing, and his bag falls to the jungle floor, spilling its contents. At this point the cleric and the rogue both suggest actions, and I let them do it simultaneously. The cleric tries to use medicine to stabilize the navigator, and the rogue wants to investigate the contents of the navigators bag for anything useful.

They both succeed. The cleric successfully keeps the navigator alive through his seizing, and the rogues quick eye spots an entry in the navigators journal detailing exactly these symptoms, now known to be a rather poisonous but rare bug bite, and the cure, a rare flower.

The ranger now chimes in again and asks to see if he knows anything about this flower. Nature check succeeds. He does, he knows that it grows at specific low altitudes below sea level. They need to find a valley. The ranger tries to use survival to orient them on the map. He succeeds, and they set off, carrying the navigator to a nearby valley. Upon arriving, they search for the flower, and find one, but it is growing on a cliff face, in a crack in the earth. It will be a difficult climb to get it. The rogue suggests climbing, and is prepared to make the acrobatics roll, but then the wizard suggests using mage hand. I give him a success for that.

The party succeeds on the skill challenge, and as a reward for the success, they are able to save just enough of the flower to make a very effective cure poison potion.
>>
>>51952830
Try asking in the new thread >>51952374
>>
>>51951818
>In order to swing a polearm you need a lot of space around you. It's not a spear that you just stab front and back. Using any weapon with the heavy property in a tight corridor would be out of the question at my table.
>You cannot stab glaive or halberd

>Using any weapon with the heavy property in a tight corridor would be out of the question at my table.
quarterstaff isn't heavy
>>
>>51952014
>(As opposed to, say, riposte four times a short rest).
Or five, or six, or seven. Superiority die are simply better and far more versatile in general.
>Big enemy smacks you with his giant sword
Use parry
>Party member is in trouble but healer needs to heal someone else first
Use rally to prop them up
>Want to fuck with an enemy?
Use disarm, push, or trip
>Need to GTFO now?
Use evasive footwork so you can dash and help avoid getting opportunity attacks against you due to d8 (later 10 and 12) added to your AC

>If you use a bonus action.
Fighters have almost no use for bonus actions anyway.
>And even if you use tunnel fighter, if you miss a PAM reaction attack you can make another attack with knight to try to stop them from moving, which you can't do normally with tunnel fighter unless you have more than 10ft reach.
If they want to escape that bad let them I would rather punish the enemy for attacking me than being as much of a movement autist.

>Well, you've just done your job, congratulations.
Of getting smacked in the face repeatedly? You haven't really accomplished anything, you aren't doing any more damage than a regular PAM nor are you any tankier than a regular PAM (which a battlemaster could also be thanks to parry). You just wasted your archetype saying "ha now you have to punch me in the face first."

>If you get to high levels
And yet you keep bringing up abilities the knight gets at level 10+

As I said before the advantage of battlemaster is minimizing enemy choices while maximizing your own choices. The only thing I would eventually add is mage slayer so you can pin a caster down and rape them every time they cast a spell.
>>
>>51950843
>Delayed spell
you can cast a spell but delay it's effect, like readying a spell but last more than one turn.
>Spell turning
as a reaction, if an enemy casts a spell that you know you can expand a spell slot and make an ability check against some number to be determined to turn the spells
>Spell empowering
as a reaction, when a spellcaster cast a spel you know,l you can join in and upcast the spell by n level by expanding a n level spell slot.
>expanded spell
augment the area of the spell.
Thread posts: 341
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.