[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /tg/. I turn to you with a request for help. Drunkenly have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: JOHN CARTER HEROICFANTASY.jpg (264KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
JOHN CARTER HEROICFANTASY.jpg
264KB, 1600x900px
Hey /tg/. I turn to you with a request for help.

Drunkenly have I agreed to DM a heroic fantasy campaign. My skills are rusty as fuck since it's been years since my last dice throw.

So I am in a hurry to cobble up together an adventure. It is expected to be cheesy and cliche following all the troupes of the genre. So burly barbarians and chainmail bikini clad bimbos running through ancient ruins filled with forgotten monsters and precious treasures.

That being said, I do not intend to go about it half-heartedly, so I would appreciate some constructive advice/criticism.

Since my players and I have our experience in 3.5, that will be our system of choice. I am aware of the overwhelming splat book explosion and would like to selectively choose only the bits necessary.

So please give me some advice in that regard.

What do you do for atmosphere, as soundtracks go ?

Should I use some of the map builders flowing around to visualize the places or my normal plexiglass battle grid would suffice ?

Would you recommend using pre-made adventures or that would cheapen the experience ?

So if you have any input on how to properly Conan the Barbarian I would be glad If you can assist.
>>
>>51946066
>I am aware of the overwhelming splat book explosion and would like to selectively choose only the bits necessary.
>So please give me some advice in that regard.
Ban everything (including core) that isn't ToB, XPH and maybe MoI.
>>
>>51946166
This person isn't wrong. Don't allow players to take any of the core classes because they're all shit or overpowered and nothing inbetween. ToB is good for heroic fantasy animu style fightan mans.

I can't really say about what the hell XPH and MoL is though.
>>
>>51946176
Expanded Psionics Handbook and Magic of Incarnum.
>>
>>51946193
If you use Expanded Psionics, just make sure to read the rules carefully, because those are important (like you can't spend infinite power points, only up to your level, on any one ability). Magic of Incarnum is a bit hit or miss, but altogether ToB, XPH and MoL are balanced in power level with each other.

For the other stuff:

Are you doing this in person or online?
If online just use a mapbuilder program, if not plexiglass is fine.

I prefer to homebrew everything, but feel free to rip off encounters wholesale and saw the names off and put in your own characters.

Have a blast!
>>
File: barbarians of lemuria spiel.png (96KB, 869x425px) Image search: [Google]
barbarians of lemuria spiel.png
96KB, 869x425px
>>51946066
So normally I think it's bad for to say "play something different" when somebody asks for help with a particular game, but given your picture, description of what kind of adventure you want to run, and reference to Conan, you should really check out Barbarians of Lemuria. It's a much better fit for what you've described, and it should be easier to learn BoL than to refamiliarize yourself with 3.5, and wade through what you want to include and reject, and try to adapt the system to something it's not really geared towards. And god knows BoL would be much easier to play. So you should give it a look. Maybe you don't like what you see, or maybe 3.5 has some aspect you really want to include that it doesn't, but it really does seem like it'd be perfect for you.

>Barbarians of Lemuria,Mythic Edition (current edition) -- https://www.mediafire.com/folder/7llc83r2xf8bg/Barbarians_of_Lemuria_-_Mythic_Edition

>Barbarians of Lemuria, Legendary Edition (earlier edition, shorter but not as refined) --http://www.mediafire.com/download/p5w885sa9a869ma/Barbarians+Of+Lemuria+-+Legendary+Edition.pdf

>Barbarians of Lemuria, House Rules / Patches for Legendary Edition (if you want minimalism of Legendary, but with the rules tightened up) -- https://mega.co.nz/#F!CtQR2bST!y_awB-GHCiL3CdK4iLCV7A
>>
There is a Conan RPG based on 3.5 that may be worth looking at.

For music, any soundtrack that has some good ups and downs that isn't easily recognizable. Kickass, Original Conan movie, Vikings tv soundtrack.
>>
>>51946066
>why is dejorah wearing a bra and panties
>why is carter wearing a loincloth

reeeeeeeee
>>
File: 1483540367410.jpg (697KB, 1508x1036px) Image search: [Google]
1483540367410.jpg
697KB, 1508x1036px
>>51948309
>>
>>51946661
>Barbarians of Lemuria
OP listen to this anon

Your players might whine a little right away but BoL is piss-easy to understand and character creation only takes a couple minutes.

>>51948309
>why does artwork marketed for suburban Western audiences reflect suburban Western cultural standards reeeee
Nobody's stopping you from becoming a talented booby artist, anon.
>>
>>51946166
>>51946176
Ignore these two weebtards

Accept only the Players Handbook 1 and 2, DMG, and Sword and Fist, and use the Witch class in the DMG instead of the normal spellcasting classes.

Use any monster manuals you want.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.