[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What kind of "space magic" is best?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: space magic 02.jpg (102KB, 474x720px) Image search: [Google]
space magic 02.jpg
102KB, 474x720px
I've working on a sci-fi setting/system, and keep running into a problem when I start thinking about magic. From what I've seen, there are three good options for magic in space:
1. Technology. Why use magic to shoot lightning when a machine can do it too? (Think biotics, from Mass Effect series)
2. Future pseudo magic. It's there, but nobody knows or cares why, (Like the force in Star Wars. Magic, but not fully.)
3. Flat out magic. Stuff like sticks to snakes and summoning elementals.
So, which ones do you prefer, /tg/? Which ones are most interesting lore wise? Mechanically?
>>
>>51940881

I hate the fact that science and magic are seemingly two incompatable concepts in many peoples minds. If the universe works in such a way that by doing a series of actions you get an affect how is it unnatural? You're using technology to more efficiently leverage this affect that you did the hard way before but now you have a way of monitoring it and even adjusting the results of the affect your trying to get.

Then again I also like the more esoteric aspect of it and it's not like the science part of it couldn't have some kind of spritual significance to it that leads to robe wearing scholars who speak to each other in high concepts only they understand.

That said, I perfer my space magic the way it's presented in Orion which is a manga made by masamune shirow where you have concepts that are expalined and magical in origin but you have the technology and esoteric know how to do it.

Dune is also acceptable form of space magic.
>>
>>51941025
It's been a while since I read dune. Remind me?
>>
>>51941059
drugs turn your brain into a supercomputer. Some sort of Laplace's demon happens in the MC's mind.
>>
The kind that lets me be a robe wearing wizard that summons random celestial objects to throw at my enemies who are kited out in power armor and cybernetics.
>>
File: 1482493776364.jpg (1MB, 1200x1631px) Image search: [Google]
1482493776364.jpg
1MB, 1200x1631px
>>51940881
I can only excuse magic in a sci-fi setting if its trippy complex/conceptual bullshit (eg. nasuverse and parts of elder scrolls)

Anything else is pleb tier, if you want a fancily dressed nigga throwing fireballs and reading minds you can easily do that with soft sci-fi technobabble.
>>
File: Dosh lords.gif (81KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
Dosh lords.gif
81KB, 400x225px
>>51940881
Depends on the setting.
>>
>>51940881
why are you having magic to begin with, what do you hope to add by it?

Are you looking for an explanation for background stuff like fasting then light travel? A way sense of mysticism? A way to hand wave plot points and magic items? An excuse for a 'wizard class'?
>>
I personally love the Force. It's kinda similar to Naming and Stranger in a Strange Land Martian magic, in that it's sort of a single constant (in my Star Wars headcanon, essentially). It's what it is and that gives certain powers. Make up your own Force.

Maybe quantum magic based on probability. I like the idea of a magic system where the mages make assertions about the universe or future and the degree of difficulty depends on the amount and severity of the assumptions it makes. Maybe the mage must visualize each assumption and convincingly narrate them to themselves, and also give an appropriately sized Push for each assumption. This Push is a painful mental affirmation to themselves that they intend to magically intervene with the Flow, and the strength of a Push varies wildly from person to person.

This might not be the easiest to work into an RPG, what with its unquantified rules, but this way you've got tons to work with, all from a single coherent idea.

You've got the requirement of intelligence and cleverness to contrive easy but effective Pushes, but also will and presence of mind to execute difficult Pushes, BUT ALSO the occasional prodigy who can shove out massive Pushes without breaking a sweat.

You've got warriors incorporating quick Pushes in battle to do things like dodge bullets or fight wholly blind.

You've got direct BATTLES OF WIT, Amber style, with chess players Pushing hard and clever against each other ftw.

You've got devout monks who train this skill day and night to work from monasteries to better the universe (maybe they receive prayers, the more a population Pushes prayer to them, the more likely they will Push the Flow in their favor). They eat by Pushing their gardens.

...I want to use this shit now.
>>
>>51944678
It's worth mentioning that powerful Pushes can do things like cause spontaneous lightning indoors, or turn something to a frog. It just takes a massive toll on the body and mind.
>>
Cosmic rays are where the caster draws in the magic
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.