[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG Commander/EDH General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 329
Thread images: 71

File: NICOL BOLAS SHALL RETURN!!!.jpg (29KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
NICOL BOLAS SHALL RETURN!!!.jpg
29KB, 223x310px
Legendary Ancient OP Edition

Last Time on /edh/: >>51920720
RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
http://www.mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
http://www.tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
http://www.edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
http://manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
http://gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
http://magiccards.info/

Thread Topic:
>Which dickass commander do you run and tentatively justify with terrible excuses?
>>
I want to use Recruiter of the Guard really bad. I'm trying to stay out of Simic colors, so what's a good general for using RotG? Zurgo Hellmsmasher? Alesha?
>>
>>51936285
Reaper King

But nah, it's probably strong in Alesha given the theme.
>>
>>51936285
Put it in new Avacyn and wreck shit with indestructible hasty fatties like Thunderbluss.
>>
What is your favorite obscure commander (let's define obscure as having less than 50 decks on EDHREC)?
>>
>>51936285
So them put it in Breya bomberman combo. Him, Trinket Mage, Imperial recruiter and all the black tutors make it trivial to find salvagers, LED, top, any spellbomb, walking Ballista etc. Consistent and strong combo which you can then dedicate almost the entirety of the rest of your deck to control.
>>
>>51936355
Squee, Goblin Nabob!
>>
File: 217[1].jpg (59KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
217[1].jpg
59KB, 312x445px
So, /edhg/, how many decks did you put him in?
>>
>>51936355
By that metric, none of mine are 'obscure'. The closest has like 75 decks.
>>
>>51936423
Out of the 6 I have built, I think... 2, maybe 3? Usually goes in non-green decks.
>>
>>51936450
It was just the first threshold that came to my hand, feel free to break it.
>>
>>51936502
I mean, I'd say even if my COMMANDERS aren't obscure, I don't exactly build them in... conventional ways.
>>
>>51936355
Kamahl at 76
>>
Can you guys help me out with Rally the Ancestors?

If I cast it with a Nantuko Husk (or other creature sac outlet) in play, do the creatures still go into exile? Or, if they were bounced to my hand, shuffled in my deck etc.
>>
File: Tree of Perdition.jpg (48KB, 322x450px) Image search: [Google]
Tree of Perdition.jpg
48KB, 322x450px
What ya gonna do when the TREE taps at you?
>>
>>51936552
>do the creatures still go into exile?
They don't. If they did, it would say something along the lines of "if they would leave the battlefield, exile them instead".
Since they moved to another zone, the effect loses track of them.
>>
>>51936552
They don't. The effect doesn't set up an "also, if they would go somewhere else exile them" effect the way Unearth does. If they leave the battlefield prior to that trigger resolving, nothing 'weird' happens- they go to that zone as normal, and when the trigger resolves it can't find them, so it doesn't do anything to them.
>>
>>51936423
1, in kaalia. I find he is really bad for G/B, as there are so many better options to get land and draw cards, plus the are better bodies I can use at the 4cmc range.
>>
>>51936637
Yeah. It's a solid card, but the ramp isn't really worth the slot in decks that can tap Forests, and the card draw isn't really worth the slot in decks that have blue or black. I'd run it in a U/B deck for the ramp and consider the draw a nice upside, and vice versa for a G/R deck, for example.
>>
>>51936519
Face it, you're a basic bitch.
>>
>>51936608
>>51936634

Okay, that's what I figured. I just wanted to ask on an anonymous monolgian knitting online chat client rather than the people i know. You know, so i can show up with a new deck and they don't know what to expect for the first game
>>
>>51936674
Probably! But I have fun, and that's what matters.
>>
>>51936679
In the future you might wanna look for gA's threads if you have oddball questions
>>
>>51936355
Gwendlyn Di Corci
>>
>>51936596
>>51936596
Simple:
>politely place my cards on the table
>get up, take a brief walk around to calm my nerves
>maybe get a drink of water
>come back and motherfucking flip the table. Fuck you Mike, you and your t1 sol ring into t2 daxos, into my tree t3. You're a dick and you know it.
>>
>>51936710
O fuck that's right. Forgot about that nigga
>>
File: 20170224_123012~2~2.jpg (919KB, 3955x949px) Image search: [Google]
20170224_123012~2~2.jpg
919KB, 3955x949px
>>51936355
Braids, Cabal Minion. I guess it's cheating since she's banned.

POSTEM

>>51934857
>being this openly and unashamedly wrong.
They're mono colored. They're in WUBRG order, they're wearing clothes in their color. It's the most obvious art direction wizards has made in a long time and it's still being confused by fucking autists.
>>
>>51936786
>an anon with a classy G/W list
Neat. I need help building Gaddock Teeg, but I haven't build G/W before. Any tips?
>>
>>51936355
Z-daddy
>>
File: Download.jpg (8KB, 219x230px) Image search: [Google]
Download.jpg
8KB, 219x230px
>>51936355
This big guy (55 Decks).
>>
>>51936915
The fuck? Why would you build a deck with Vorinclex as a commander? That sounds like a horribly suicidal idea.
>>
>>51936934
What are you talking about? What makes it suicidal?
Maybe it's suicidal in the sense that everyone will focus you, I can give you that...
>>
>>51936355
H A L F D A N E

No but for real he's actually really fun.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-10-31-13-36-19.png (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-10-31-13-36-19.png
1MB, 1440x2560px
>>51936834
What do you want the deck to be? Tokens? Hatebears? Combo? Valuetown midrange?

I'd love to help.
>>
>>51936967
>Maybe it's suicidal in the sense that everyone will focus you, I can give you that...
That's exactly what I'm talking about. The other obvious issue is that Vorinclex isn't really "build around". You don't get synergistic stax effects, and in the best case scenario, you use him to ramp really hard and then what? Play something game winning/better? In the worst case scenario, you drop him, someone nukes him, and wastes 2 mana doing so.

I say this as someone who really wanted to build him. I just couldn't think of any way it's better than simply running a smaller value-enabler commander, than fishing Vorinclex.
>>
>>51937017
Thanks anon!

I'd really like to build valuetown midrange. I have a ton of giant green cards I desperately want to throw in, but wont, and I know hatebears is optimal, but I have no idea how hatebears actually wins.

Ideally, I'd like something fast, reliable, consistent, and efficient, but I know that's pretty lofty. I'd settle for something with half-decent early game.
>>
>>51936355
It used to be Godo before his C16 reprint but now it's Starke
>>
>>51936967
Vorinclex doesn't really do anything that wouldn't be done better by Azusa or Omnath.
Big Green Dickings need a big green jumpstart.
>>
>>51937062
I am a dirty casual, so instead of ultra optimized, the deck is more a tangle/Vorinclex theme Deck, with cards like the slagworms from the tangle, chancellor of the tangle, creeping corrosion, liege of the tangle, triumph of the horde and all forest are the panorama forests from Scars.
>>
>>51937217
>>51937242
>>51937062
I just liked the card and flavor, so I made him my commander and build a theme deck around him. I dont really care about optimizing to the maximum, but I see ofc why is worse then Omnath etc
>>
>>51937242
>I am a dirty casual
>yet I vorthos'd the fuck out
You aren't casual anon, you just have different priorities. I'm one of those guys who loves turning decks into functional monstrosities that punch above their weight class. You're one of those anons that likes fancy pictures and cohesive land pictures.

Both are equally good, I'm pretty jealous of your flavour. Does it actually win? How does it play?
>>
File: tomorrow.jpg (31KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
tomorrow.jpg
31KB, 223x310px
>>51936355
Just missed the cutoff at 51 decks.
>>
File: Image (4).jpg (31KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image (4).jpg
31KB, 223x310px
>>51937331
Normally Ramp into ramp into ramp into something mana doubling (Vorinclex, Regal Behemoth, zendikar resurgent, caged sun, shrine of nyx), into overhelming stampede or Triumph of the hordes. For protection ascetism or archetype, and of course green removal. Some cards for the flavor, Like the Worms or creeping corrosion. Gets ofc alot of hate, but because of all the mana doubling it often draws a ton of cards and slaps down a bunch of fatties in one turn.
>>
File: 1409785517256.png (1MB, 1103x803px) Image search: [Google]
1409785517256.png
1MB, 1103x803px
Hey can I get some feedback on this deck? My shop has a pretty competitive commander playgroup and I was wondering if it was even possible to make a competitive surrak deck. Should I just go the value town maelstrom wanderer route instead if I wanna play rug? I mostly play 60 card formats so I don't really know what's good in commander

Deck here https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/536000
>>
>>51936786
REAL POST 'EM HOURS
>>
>>51936355
Raksha, Golden Cub. 25 decks.
>>
File: download.png (2KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
2KB, 275x183px
>>51937733
Post Thromok list pls
>>
>>51937733
Post Wort too please.

Gotta get my tokens flowing.
>>
>>51937717
>https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/536000
Holy shit anon, I'm stumped. Never in my life have I seen a more haphazardly thrown together pile of expensive jank. It's actually impressive how expensively terrible your deck is.

My advice? Build Maelstrom. Unless you REALLY focus on ramping and dropping fatties, Maelstrom is both better and cheaper to build. Throw in things like Brutalizer Exarch, Mwonvuli Beast Tracker, Cached Dreams, and Brainstorm to goldfish your RNG, and focus on game winning things. RUG is awesome at ramping, so you don't really need farseek. I usually run things like Harrow and Explosive Vegetation that drop multiple basics onto the battlefield at once, in order to amp up your efficiency. Mana rocks are also tits. I personally recommend Thran Dynamo, Gilded Lotus, Worn Powerstone, but prioritize rocks that get you multiple mana at one time. In my Maelstrom, I threw in things like Arcanis the Omnipotent, various overrun effects like overwhelming stampede and triumph of the hordes, and my personal favorite bullshit card, Sensei's Divining Top.

I don't really like the Kiora you're running, or Caller of Beast. I like Crashing Wave, because it really lays the smack down on unsuspecting fools. Finally, try to fit Feldon of the Third Path, and Giant Adephage in there, and I'm a fan of damage doublers, but that's up to you.
>>
>>51936256
>>Which dickass commander do you run and tentatively justify with terrible excuses?
Gwafa Hazid. Because fuck you for using 30% proxies
>>
>>51937956
Also, Grip of Phyresis. That is a fancy fucking card that will butcher certain cut-throat players.
>>
I'm going to do a Zurgo deck with tokens. I don't like Voltron, so I'mma try to come up with something that works.
>>
File: Saffi_Eriksdotter.jpg (73KB, 640x456px) Image search: [Google]
Saffi_Eriksdotter.jpg
73KB, 640x456px
>>51937175
Hatebears wins by making life difficult for every other player you play mainly many small creatures to fuck up the opponents game plan. You start with some of the best ones: teeg, who is the commander, Thalia 1,Thalia 2, Leonin arbiter, aven mindcensor, lodestone Golem, Hokori, etc. You make the game slow by making every other deck much more ineffective and inefficient than it was designed to be.

Valuetown midrange can be fine, but with teeg as commander you might not be able to do the things you want to do or even be able to have a backup plan in the form of wraths/Planeswalkers etc. You will however be able to power have creatures like anafenza, kitchen finks, Eternal witness, Thragtusk to keep pressure on the opponents. Cards like ligecrafters beastiary and zendikar resurgent go great in this kind of deck as well as many others
Taking these cards and combining them with Sac outlets like the altars you can get the next section:

Combos. Using Sac outlets to abuse things like anafenza, Cathar's Crusade etc allows you to play a midrange game with combo potential. You can also use creatures that Reanimate cards for combos as well as just value. Saffi, karmic Guide, Revilark, sun titian, renegade rallier, and Felidar guardian are all excellent for combo as well as just being great creatures.

Thing is, regardless of what build you're going with it is going to have every mana dork in the colors(Mystic, Fyndhorn, Llanowar, BOP, Avacyn's Pilgrim, Arbor Elf, and treespeaker). In addition you are going to have at the very least a rudimentary Stoneforge Mystic package (jitte, Darksteel plate, Skullclamp, and your choice of 2-3 swords.)

There is aslo a captian sisay paradox engine combo deck that is sweet.
>>
>>51936370
Is there a way to make Breya fun and less autistic? I've been brewing around it but all I see is spiky combo everywhere. Can I make an artifact reanimator out of it?
>>
>>51936423
One at the moment
>>
Guys...what the fuck is Rashmi's win-con?
>>
>>51936423
I only have one deck (Emrakul) So...one.
>>
>>51937733
Also requesting a thromok list. After an anon posted a story a few threads ago about a total table kill he did in one turn, attacking, warstorm surging and milling a gigantic thromok, I've been itching to build him.
>>
>>51938233
Same as cascade, play big spells, to cheat out just as big spells.
>>
File: 126430_200w.jpg (26KB, 200x285px) Image search: [Google]
126430_200w.jpg
26KB, 200x285px
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/fresh-static-snow/

I've never tried stax before; am I doing it wrong?
>>
>>51936775
Maybe you shouldn't put cards that trigger you so much in your deck
>>
I'm looking for this one comic and I can't find it anywhere. It's about trading and how casual players are always attracted to the random garbage chaff in someone's binder. Can anyone post it?

>>51936285
Norin; Scrambleverse is "fun"
>>
>>51938454
Meant to reply to OP

>>51936256
>>
File: pixlr_20170107204730296.jpg (2MB, 2048x1433px) Image search: [Google]
pixlr_20170107204730296.jpg
2MB, 2048x1433px
>>51938233
Laboratory maniac.

>>51938188
You can do whatever you want duder. Combo isn't autistic of you're not autistic about it. It's like playing ghave and not putting a combo in. It's difficult.

To your statement about reanimator, of course. There's an actual load of good reanimator targets and enablers. Targets: inkwell, gearhulks, Kuldotha forgemaster, myr Battlesphere, fucking anything.
Your Planeswalker suite is perfect for this purpose. Daretti, Nahiri 2, Dack, Saheeli, which directly support the gameplan. As well as Valuetown walkers that are just all around excellent: tezz 1+2, Daretti 2, teferi, Kaya, Ob Nixilis 2.

You have Faithless Looting, cathartic reunion, tormenting voice, careful study, thought scour, izzet charm, fact or fiction.

The deck really builds itself.

yes I am a literal autismo
>>
>>51938233
Craterhoof

Or you just go into 5 extra turns to make your opponents give up.
>>
>>51938474
>Labman
But the deck can't even run Doomsday, so what's the point?
>>
>>51936285
She and her expsensive big brother work well in voltron decks for tutoring all the equipment utility creatures
>>
>>51938526
You have Enter the Infinite though. Just gotta bring out Priest of Titania early enough
>>
File: Decklist.jpg (922KB, 2114x1412px) Image search: [Google]
Decklist.jpg
922KB, 2114x1412px
>>51936786
Alright /edh/ what should I do:

>Finish one of the decks listed on the right in here (They're all around 20-40 cards done not counting lands)
>Start building Gwafa Hazid for controll fuckery
>Grab the Planechase Anthology so I can have a lot of fun cards to fuck around with the deck contents and possibly turn Mina Denn into Thromok
>>
File: pixlr_20170104003822563.jpg (2MB, 1270x2048px) Image search: [Google]
pixlr_20170104003822563.jpg
2MB, 1270x2048px
>>51938526
>being this literal bad at magic.
Future sight/magus, Top, etherium Sculptor/helm
Backup of teferi, a billion counters and board control.
Also monolith/power artifact/Thrasios
Also high tide/brain freeze.
>>
>>51938570
But that's 4 times more mana!
>>
What's the best mana rock options for BUG?
>>
>>51938723
I know all of those interactions. It's just that why play good strategy x when you can execute it better
>>
>>51938729
T1: Sol ring, mana crypt, mana vault, Grim monolith, Mox diamond, Chrome mox.
T2: all signets, Gilded Lotus
T3: fellwar stone, mind stone, than dynamo
T4: worn powerstone, diamonds, medallions, keyrunes

>>51938781
I was asked for wincons. Of course black with doomsday and better tutors will be better. But the ones I listed are the most mana efficient, compact, and reliable ones in the colors/for the general.
>>
What are your favorite tech Mimeoplasm targets? I was thinking a building a deck and was curious what weird creatures you folks use.
>>
File: c4rd4r7_8hh1QDfUuk.jpg (228KB, 750x450px) Image search: [Google]
c4rd4r7_8hh1QDfUuk.jpg
228KB, 750x450px
>>51936786
Queen Marchesa Control (as the name suggests)

>http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/queen-marchesa-long-may-she-reign-control/

Currently trying a build where Phyrexian Arena is an Aetherflux Reservoir.
>>
File: gemini_engine.jpg (30KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
gemini_engine.jpg
30KB, 223x310px
>>51938881
Sire of Stagnation, Oona, Torrent Elemental, Moldgraf Monstrosity, and Avatar of Woe. A severely underrated creature is Gemini Engine
>>
>>51938962
>Gemini Engine
How is that a good choice
>>
I want to build a Chainer, Master of Dementia deck. Is there any must includes other than the obvious stuff like sol ring? Like I was wondering if there is a way to make my opponents creatures nightmares without using Chainer?
>>
>>51939013
Well, maybe not for Mimeoplasm reanimator bu-

>mimeoplasm exiles death's shadow and Gemini engine
>then swings for 32 damage
>let alone overwhelming stampede/pathbreaker ibex
>let alone actually buffing the stupid thing

Fair enough anon.
>>
>>51939013
>reanimate mimeoplasm as gemini engine
>every swing makes a token of "mimeoplasm" with the P/T of it

Shouldn't need to explain it
>>
>>51939057
>>51939073
The P/T as it exists in layer 1.

So you get an extra 3 damage. Wow.
>>
>>51939013
I think that Gemini Engine is pretty neat card especially with any buffs, but honestly, it's pretty bad card. It's like Grave Titan but worse at same mana cost, but the cool thing at least is that if you have for example 3 swords attached to that fucker, the token enters as 9/10 creature, but that's about it.

I bought a foil of that fucker, but I just can't justify running it in any deck.
>>
>>51938909
Oh I know that deck. I still beat it and killed everyone else with an out-of-the-box Prossh
>>
>>51939107
Wrong. This particular card makes the token that checks the P/T as it's created and isn't dependant on the current P/T of the original after it's created.
So gemini engine with 13 counters on it attacking makes a 16/17 token.
>>
>>51939172
For some reason I was thinking it made an exact copy, I'm sorry. Yeah, that'd explain why I thought it was so much worse.
>>
>>51938581
>Karn
>Brother's war
y tho
>>
>>51939159
That you did, we can play again on Wednesday, don't worry.
>>
File: tas.png (129KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
tas.png
129KB, 223x311px
My friend killed my Tasigur in response to me activating the ability, he said that the ability didn't happen because of that.

>Was he right?
>>
>>51939193
Well, technically it does make an exact copy. I just wish it would get all the abilities of the first one as well that are given by outside sources. That could probably be broken though.
>>
>>51939353
No. The ability still exists on the stack even if the source does not
>>
Why am I such a filthy fucking casual and only build commanders from precons and obvious format bait?
>>
File: 1350360766945.jpg (100KB, 555x526px) Image search: [Google]
1350360766945.jpg
100KB, 555x526px
>>51937733
>mfw realizing I spelt the second "choo" wrong for Slobad

I MUST FIX IT
>>
>>51939316
I'll probably lose hard, I got lucky you didn't wreck my face with Strip Mine
>>
>>51939421
There was no reason to blow up all of your lands, turn by turn. Had other things to worry about.
>>
>>51939353
No. Abilities will happen when they trigger or are activated regardless if their source is gone at any point, unless the source has to be there, such as with Gilded Drake, or if the ability targets and the target is removed or illegal when the ability wants to resolve, then the ability will be countered when it tries to resolve.

Keep in mind, abilities are separate from their source.
>>
>>51939353
If abilities on the stack depended on their source existing, Mogg Fanatic would be a very bad card.
>>
>>51937733
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/w-e-a-r-e-f-a-m-i-l-y/
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/k-i-s-s-f-r-o-m-a-r-o-s-e/
Might want to build a third that aren't just counters-centric. Any suggestions?
>>
>>51939353
I got a situation/question similar to this:

>playan RG Wort
>cast Harrow, it has Conspire, tap down Saprolings for copy
>in response, friend taps Visara to blow up Wort
>friend now arguing that spell no longer has Conspire, can't tap Saprolings, copy of spell doesn't exist, etc

Was he right? I'm leaning toward yes
>>
>>51939620
By the time your friend has priority -to- respond, you've finished casting your spell, including paying the Conspire cost, and the Conspire trigger is on the stack. Destroying Wort does literal actual nothing to stop that.

Magic is a game of priority, not reflexes. He can't jump in and nuke your Wort in the middle of your spellcast any more than you can say "Untapupkeepdrawplaylandattackfor10endturn" and then insist that it's too late for your opponent to respond because your turn is over.
>>
File: 1327212130321.jpg (125KB, 699x843px) Image search: [Google]
1327212130321.jpg
125KB, 699x843px
>the scumbags in MTG "finance" circles talking about how to best invest in MM17

I wish they'd play with stocks or something instead
>>
>>51939620
I would say no because you already payed the cost so the ability/copy is on the stack
>>
>>51939620
He's wrong. You already cast Harrow with Conspiracy and tapped the Saprolings, you don't magically reverse how you cast a spell after you cast it.
>>
File: Damnation.jpg (127KB, 743x993px) Image search: [Google]
Damnation.jpg
127KB, 743x993px
>>
>>51939690
>>51939706
>>51939712
Thanks guys you're pals

Gonna rub it in his face with a Conspired Banefire for 40 next game
>>
>>51939730
kek
>>
File: 1254541045509.jpg (14KB, 266x394px) Image search: [Google]
1254541045509.jpg
14KB, 266x394px
>>51939690
If you cast Yahenni's Expertise with Yahenni, my friend said you get to choose which resolve first.
If the enemy has two chumps, would Yahenni survive by getting the +1/+1 counters? Or would he come out after the -3/-3 and not be affected by it?
>>
File: 245.jpg (55KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
245.jpg
55KB, 312x445px
>>51936423
I play this version of the card because I like how they look like actual people face wise, like Synths. And yes I put them in nearly all of my EDH decks, especially the black ones.
>>
File: 「Undertow」.jpg (25KB, 200x285px) Image search: [Google]
「Undertow」.jpg
25KB, 200x285px
>>51936355
Tromokratis at 70
>>
>>51939794
Yahenni couldn't be cast until after Expertise resolves. Creatures aren't cast at instant speed.
>>
>>51939794
The expertise needs to be cast to allow you to play the free spell, so the order will be:
>Expertise on the stack
>Expertise resolve
>-3/-3 to the board
>Yahenni on the stack
>Yahenni enter the battlefield
>>
>>51939794
I don't know but that doesn't make sense. The -3/-3 happens and then after it resolves yahenni would get pumped from the chumps dying [if it survived the expertise]. They don't happen concurrently.
So if
>yahenni is unpumped
>the player cast Yahenni's Expertise
>the yahenni dies on resolution as a state based action
There is no way to respond using yahenni(critter) ability

Again I' not a judge but what I know about magic makes it seem like that is how it plays out.
>>
>>51939843
I'm stupid ignore me.
>>
>>51936596
Mfw I have necrotic ooze on the battle field and this in grave
>>
>>51939794
You don't get to cast the free card until expertise has resolved. Yahenni would come down after the -3/-3 and be unaffected by it.

Something humorous that happened in a recent commander game was a player used baral's expertise to bounce his archaeomancer to his hand then free cast it off of the expertise to return the expertise to his hand from the GY.
>>
File: 169.jpg (75KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
169.jpg
75KB, 312x445px
>>51936355
This guy. Yeah whatever he's at 52 but he holds a special place in my heart. First-ever deck I built that wasn't out of pack fodder and other trash, and he was undefeated for 3 fucking sessions -- total of 14-0 -- until people started packing artifact hate.

Even now he can get absurdly out of control, because everyone sleeps on mono-red Voltron.
>>
File: 1487027211571.gif (1MB, 205x223px) Image search: [Google]
1487027211571.gif
1MB, 205x223px
>>51938840
>T1

Thanks I needed a laugh, who the fuck needs that much <> mana?
>>
what do you think of godhead of awe in atraxa?
>>
>>51939794
Assuming Yahenni has no counters, they wouldn't live. They'd get -3/-3 alongside everything else, then you'd cast your free spell, then you'd put Expertise in the bin. SBAs are checked and see a bunch of 0 or less toughness creatures, and kill all of them. Yahenni 'sees' the others die, their triggers go on the stack... and do nothing as they resolve, because Yahenni is dead as shit.

If you're CASTING a Yahenni off of Expertise, then you perform actions in the order written. Nuke the board, cast your spell. Expertise goes to graveyard, things die, THEN you begin resolving Yahenni. By the time they resolve, there's nothing dying.

>>51939843
>>51939894
Technically you cast the spell as part of the Expertise's resolution, not after it.
>>
File: 1307495.jpg (71KB, 570x315px) Image search: [Google]
1307495.jpg
71KB, 570x315px
I NEED PICTURES

PICTURES OF GREEN TOKEN MAKERS
>>
>>51940003
No real synergy.
>>
>>51940043
The expertise's have very little synergy with their comanders don't they.
>>
File: 139.jpg (67KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
139.jpg
67KB, 312x445px
>>51940047
>>
File: Kermernderp.jpg (452KB, 904x1400px) Image search: [Google]
Kermernderp.jpg
452KB, 904x1400px
>>51937733

How I afford to play other games will forever escape me.
>>
File: 1488250958676573732854.jpg (4MB, 3024x5376px) Image search: [Google]
1488250958676573732854.jpg
4MB, 3024x5376px
>>51936355
Radiant, Archangel... 49 decks, my first, my favorite, and most well rounded.
>>
>>51936423
Zero because I no longer own one and don't feel like it's worth $5.
>>51936596
Do the unexpected, pump it!
>>51936256
Prosh, as dragon tribal.
>>
File: 80.jpg (51KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
80.jpg
51KB, 312x445px
This in Titania: good/bad/somewhere in between?
>>
File: Mana dump.jpg (27KB, 200x285px) Image search: [Google]
Mana dump.jpg
27KB, 200x285px
>>51940047
>>
>>51939895
Nice,

2DH here I come
>>
>>51940137
Probably bad. There's better sac-lands that do more than "Draw you a few cards and potentially draw other people a lot of cards".
>>
>>51940153
What?
>>
>>51940195
Small time variant format: Edh, but no card can have a value of over $2 at its lowest cost printing. And no general over $5.
>>
File: 1459128280952.png (384KB, 526x526px) Image search: [Google]
1459128280952.png
384KB, 526x526px
>pulling off the Liquimetal Coating/Splinter combo on an Island
>against a Talrand permission deck that missed 2 land drops
>mfw smug counters.dec player gets a taste of his own "you can't play Magic" medicine

I don't think I've ever felt such seething hatred emanate from one person.
>>
>>51939896
>implying the listed rocks aren't objectively the best in the game.
>implying you need to run them all
>implying they all tap for colorless.
>>
>>51939896
Mono-brown decks
>>
>>51940326
>chrome mox
>good

This is how I know you're fucking with me
>>
File: 191.jpg (71KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
191.jpg
71KB, 312x445px
What commanders are good for being a complete fucking weasel and manipulating everyone through table politics?
>>
>>51938840
No chromatic lantern?
>>
>>51940488
Personally I only like Lantern in 3+ color decks. In 2 color, I'd rather run Darksteel Ingot or 2-drop rocks.
>>
While we're talking about rocks, how many do you think is the right amount if I wanna go off with Paradox Engine in Mizzix? I wanted to avoid 3 cmc rocks but do you think Izzet Keyrune is worth running for the looter effect?
>>
Well, I have the stuff for Ghave in the mail, and since I came into a little extra cash I ordered the stuff for Sek'Kuar while I was at it.
>>
>>51940535
The question was what was best for a BUG(Sultai) deck.
>>
>>51940630
Then I find Lantern a fine addition.
>>
File: politics.jpg (32KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
politics.jpg
32KB, 223x310px
>>51940478
The king.
>>
File: 87.jpg (66KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
87.jpg
66KB, 312x445px
>>51940558
No.
Use mana positive rocks or extremely useful ones like Gilded Lotus. Isochron scepter with dramatic reversal if you don't have engine out, or any instant speed cantrip if you do.

Just use sol ring, mana vault, the Signet, dynamo and gilded Lotus for budget. If you have them use crypt and monolith.
>>
>>51941057
>>51940558
Don't forget the moxen.

Most of the 2-mana rocks are okay as long as they don't come into play tapped and produce colorless mana or have another useful effect. Mind Stone and Prismatic Lens are particularly good and Fellwar Stone is good too.
>>
>>51937350
How do you play that guy? I want to try him out.
>>
File: mangara-of-corondor-cropped[1].jpg (136KB, 463x664px) Image search: [Google]
mangara-of-corondor-cropped[1].jpg
136KB, 463x664px
Any suggestions for this guy? I just built him and honestly the deck is terrible.
I love building gimmick decks centered around a commander and Mangara is really cool, but his ability doesn't let you win. My build now needs a lot of work, but I'm thinking going a control heavy build. I have most of the untap/blink stuff to make the most out of his ability and a couple juicy white counterspells.

I'm not sure what to do about a wincon, though. I've been thinking pillow fort and Aetherflux for kill, possibly a Karmic Guide/Reveillark combo, although I'm trying to avoid building combo as I'm normally a blue addicted Johnny. I've never really played mono white. With a commander who doesn't win the game himself or really combo to victory, what kinda win cons are there for mono white? This deck could really be anything I guess.
>>
Is there any "competitive" partners deck that isn't combo?
>>
>>51941057
>>51941216
Alright, thanks. I don't have the budget right now for Mox Opal or Diamond but I'll pick up a Chrome Mox (you guys were saying it was bad further up but in a blue deck with plenty of draw I should have cards to spare).

Also mfw discovering a new infinite combo in my deck I never saw before.
>Cast Turnabout
>Hold Priority and bounce Dualcaster Mage with Riptide Lab
>Cast Dualcaster, copy Turnabout
>Resolve copy, untapping lands
>Bounce again with Riptide
>Float mana
>Cast again ad nauseam
>>
File: ALA Ad Nauseam.jpg (71KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
ALA Ad Nauseam.jpg
71KB, 312x445px
>>51941288
I misread your post at first and thought you were trying to cast Ad Nauseam in UR.

I do hope you're running the blue Ad Nauseam though.
>>
What is your "auto-scoop" card /edhg/? I'm talking about the card that the minute you see it you instantly concede and wait for the next game/leave.
>>
>>51936355
Cho-Manno reporting in at 24 decks!
>>
>>51936834
>>51937017
I looked into this myself just a day or two ago, and it seems like the cards required to really do hatebears would be more expensive than I can do, since I want to spend less than hundred dollars total.

Tokens seems like a fun idea with him given that he blocks most wipes, which are normally what keep token decks in check. Not sure where to start there, though, other than copying what's in a Rhys The Redeemed deck. I'd love any suggestions or sample decklists for inspiration.

For reference, here's what I was making with hate in mind before giving up on that concept. Yes, it has 22 cards more than it should since I gave up halfway through the cutting process:
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mad-duck-tg/
>>
>>51936786
I know this post is ancient now, but I'm real interested in the Breya list. How competitive do you find it against most decks?
>>
>>51941375
Grip of Chaos.
>>
Showing off my spicy tech. Angry Omnath is exactly what you'd expect for the most part, but it has some goofy gems in it. It tends to assassinate one person and then run out of steam.

1/2
>>
>>51941619
2/2

This deck's loaded with proliferate, infect, and other shenanigans you might expect.

Shinen of Life's Roar can become a hilarious recurring board wiper.

Dream Stalker can be spammed when you have a lot of mana to just increment experience counters, but it can also be used to recall disabled creatures or repeat ETB effects.

Zoetic Cavern is the best Ezuri-triggering creature.

Reality Ripple lets me save creatures from removal AND wipes while retaining all their counters, all for the cost of 2 mana and 10 minutes discussing what "phases out" means.

From Beyond has obvious value, but the real trick is saccing it to tutor and instantly play Not Of This World out of nowhere to save a fattie.
>>
>>51941673
>Zoetic Cavern is the best Ezuri-triggering creature.
How is it any better than every other Morph creature in the game?
>>
>>51941740
Style. Much like how bolting something with a 0/0 Wood Elemental is a memorable play.
>>
>>51941673
I once saw someone shut down an Ezuri player for like 6 turns by playing and donating an Anthem.
>>
>>51941576
Here's a basic list. Adjust as you see fit. I put more artifacts in and a little less fuckery.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/13-11-16-ECR-breya-eggs/

It's pretty cutthroat, you can make it a lot more casual incredibly easily.

Post is ancient, but I'm still lurking.
I've recently converted it into strict Breya control list with a compact Eldrazi displacer/Ashnod's Altar win condition.
>>
>>51941772
That deck should basically win if Omnath manages to stick, why do you need a situational Bolt?
>>
>>51941860
Because this is EDH. We intentionally kneecap ourselves and then jack off about how "quirky" our decks are for running shitty cards for literally no reason other than making the deck worse.
>>
File: soldier.jpg (29KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
soldier.jpg
29KB, 223x310px
>>51941887
this is a man who understands edh
>>
>>51941619

Blade of selves with a token doubler out should be among your win cons. It is with mine.
>>
>>51942060
I have Blade of Selves in my Trostani deck and I love it. "Swing with Trostani's Summoner, make 2 copies, make 2 Knights, 2 Centaurs, 2 Rhinos, gain 20 life. In response to blocks, populate one of the tokens, gain another 10 life. Second main phase, equip Blade of Selves to token copy of Trostani's Summoner."
>>
>>51942090

Thats...pretty filthy.
>>
>>51942060
That's beautiful. I wonder how Blade Of Selves would work with Omnath himself.
>Omnath attacks, creating 3 Omnath clones.
>The 3 clones instantly die to the legend rule.
>Do all 4 Omnaths trigger 3 times each for a total of 36 damage?
>>
>>51942317
Yes all the omnath trigger go off for each other and themselves, somewhat similar to reaper king with blade of selves in 5 player game being able to blow up 20+ permanents
>>
I want to put together a set of commander decks so that friends and I can play even if they don't have decks with them.
I was thinking of doing 1 for each of the mono color gods from Theros, but I'm not sure if that's the best choice for 5 commanders of relatively the same power level
>>
>>51942317
I want to say It all happens at the same time, so you get 9 damage, although I'm not sure
>>
>>51942389
Blade Of Selves is busted yes or yes?
>>
>>51941960
hahah give me more cards like this, there's a dude in my playgroup who shuffles like ass cause he's too lazy to do it right.
>>
>>51942433
Only as busted as you choose to play it
>>
>>51942391
Other than price maybe wouldn't it better to just use pre-cons rather than try to build and balance 5 decks from scratch?
>>
>>51942433
It's six mana sorcery speed across two easily removable permanents.
>>
>>51942391
mono color decks are somewhat varying in power level

it goes like

black > green > blue >>>>>>>>red >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> white

if you want my advice, build a bunch of 2-color decks. something like gruul, dimir, azorius, selesnya, orzhov are about the same power level and pretty differerent in terms of what they can do
>>
>>51942472
i'm probably going to be (you)'d for saying that black is better than green so just consider that to be "green >= black > blue >>>> red >>>>> white" instead
>>
>>51942472
Mono green and blue are nearly competitive, MonoB is simply not awful.
>>
>>51942514
he's not building for a 100% meta though

mono green and mono blue are pretty stupid if you include all the 50 dollar staples in those colors, but monoblack is very easy to build strong on a budget
>>
>>51942454
I've considered resorting to that, but I'd like to at least attempt to build the decks first.
Part of the reason for building all of the decks is to hopefully avoid any situations where someone ends up with a huge lead because they pulled a t1 sol ring
>>51942472
I'll take a look at those combinations, thank you
>>
>>51942530
I will agree, but remember that Coffers and Nykthos are only going up in price.
>>
>>51942548
Fair enough, like the other guy said though mono volor is very hard to balance and basically you would just have toc cripple the stronger colors with jank. Two or Three color is the way to go. Rakdos and Boros are weak but every other color combo is pretty doable.
>>
>>51942447
This is Mac. I hope you're not talking about me :'c
>>
>>51942548
The strongest casual EDH dual color combinations are UG and GB.
>>
>>51942633
I don't know any Mac's bro, I'm talking about a guy named Craig.
>>
File: stf.jpg (31KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
stf.jpg
31KB, 223x310px
>>51936355
Soraya the Falconer

22 decks. Mine is a silly crappile full of sweet combat tricks, but it always crumbles to unfair decks.

The most fun part is explaining banding to people. And then explaining it again after a nasty combat step.
>>
>>51942660
yeah he should probably avoid those color combos. golgari and simic have so much degenerate bullshit that it's not funny

>>51942548
to clarify, if i wanted to make 5 different decks for commander meant to combat each other, here's the commanders and archetypes i'd create

dimir
>lazav, dimir mastermind
>reanimates oppononet's graves and has some voltron focus
>runs creature hate and a bit of mill to feed lazav

gruul
>omnath, locus of rage
>ramp, landfall and burn effects. simple but powerful, very epitomic of both red and green

selesnya
>selvala, explorer returned
>selvala is considered somewhat of a group hug commander because of her ability, but she still provides card draw which is typically a bit more useful to selesnya than other color combinations
>ramp, politics cards and selesnya goodstuff like mirai's wake and aura shards (assuming theyre in your budget)

orzhov
>kambal, consul of allocation
>pillowforty controlly lifegain deck that uses its lifegain to fuel black's card draw staples, like greed, ambition's cost and so on
>political like selesnya, but more focused on control, draining others and protecting itself with pillowfort effects

maybe something izzet as the last one. not too sure about this one, but the only colors that haven't been used twice already are red and blue, and blue is the only other color red combos well with besides gruul. maybe a melek spellslinger deck? or jhoira deck that cheats huge spells/creatures into play. i don't know

either way, you'll have covered all the iconic aspects of EDH with those decks, and it shouldn't be too hard to place them at similar power levels on a budget
>>
>>51938188
the deck is artifact reanimator out of the box m8
>>
>>51943206
>orzhov
>>kambal, consul of allocation
>>pillowforty controlly lifegain deck that uses its lifegain to fuel black's card draw staples, like greed, ambition's cost and so on
>>political like selesnya, but more focused on control, draining others and protecting itself with pillowfort effects
this sounds terribly boring. I'd rather use Ayli or Karlov as commanders in orzhov. Ayli also enables you to go with a reanimator subtheme being a sack outlet herself and b and w wbeing great at graveyard recursion
Kambal I'd only ever put in the 99, he's too low impact to have his own deck imo.
>>
Anyone got any recommendations for a fun budget commander in 1 or 2 colors? I have a mono-black stax deck built and a sliver deck built and I'm looking to assemble something for around $100 that I can use to play against the more casual crowd at the store.

I'm not really looking for any sort of theme or type of deck in particular; I'll play just about anything.
>>
>>51943317
This looks like a job for Mono Red.
Like, literally anybody in mono-red.
>>
>>51943306
i wasn't sure about kambal myself either, but i personally find him a very fun change from the typical aggressive threat decks i play.

kambal himself is actually quite high impact for the amount of mana he costs and how little build-around he needs. you just drop him down on turn 3 and he will probably provide you around 12-24 life while damaging others for the same amount before he bites it for the first time. you'd also run a bunch of other lifegain spells that scale well in multiplayer EDH like polluted bonds and shattered angel in conjuction with lifegain synergy cards. you can also run cards like aetherflux reservoir, test of endurance and felidar sovereign as wincons, which are all hilarious bullshit ways to win a game of EDH, which, i think, are integral to EDH

as someone who has also played ayli, i'd say he's one of the more boring reanimator commanders. orzhov reanimating just doesn't scale well to EDH and is pretty slow. dimir can loot and mill for easier reanimation targets, golgari is golgari, monoblack can shit out mana like crazy to fuel its reanimation etc. orzhov just doesn't really do anything special besides reanimate a bunch of shitty spot removal creatures at sorcery speed

i agree that karlov is very fun, but he's very volatile and not that great for EDH table politics (since he will just draw hate like crazy if he does well, and then the deck turns into a durdling mess if karlov gets taken out of the game)
>>
>>51943419
>>51943306
Can confirm Kambal is fucking beast. I've got a friend who plays Kambal and it is difficult to beat.
>>
>>51943419
>kambal himself is actually quite high impact for the amount of mana he costs and how little build-around he needs. you just drop him down on turn 3 and he will probably provide you around 12-24 life while damaging others for the same amount before he bites it for the first time
that's where you are wrong. You slap him down on turn 3 and he won't do anything at all safe for providing a blocker. If youropponents play a fuckton of creatures he might do something but only if they actually cast them. we're playing edh here and people love cheating things into play and even if someone casts a creature it's only 2 damage, that's nothing.
>test of endurance and felidar sovereign as wincons
I played with them, also tested out exquisite + sanguine and it was just lame, no fun at all for me.
>ayli, i'd say he's one of the more boring commanders
I wouldn't say that at all, I think it's a great card and very versatile. First and foremost she's a sac outlet and gains your life while doing it, secondly she rewards you for lifegain by giving you access to her second ability and having Deathtouch she's pretty good in combat too. She has a huge impact asshe enters the board.
>orzhov just doesn't really do anything special
imo orzhov has 3 major archetypes. Reanimator, Lifegain and Stax and Ayli gives you the tools to do all 3.

>i agree that karlov is very fun, but he's [...] not that great for EDH table politics (since he will just draw hate like crazy if he does well)
I don't see Karlov being the biggest threat on a table, sure if he does well he'll draw hate but literally any commander draws hate if he has a good board position.

Kambal is just... well not good as a commander imo and now that I think about it lifegain isn't his strategy either but stax is since you can't do anything to get him gain you life you have to rely on your opponents to do that for you . As I said I can see him do very well in the 99 of an Orhov deck he might even be great in an Oloro deck
>>
>>51943637
kambal triggers on noncreatures, not creatures

>I don't see Karlov being the biggest threat on a table, sure if he does well he'll draw hate but literally any commander draws hate if he has a good board position.

karlov is the epitome of a buildaround commander. there are maybe 4 decent cards that synergize with lifegain triggers besides him. kambal merely plays into the strategy that the deck is trying to do, it doesn't try to define it like karlov does

i think it's better to always design a 99 that works and then add a commander that compliments it for maximum funhaving, not the other way around.
>>
>>51943673
>kambal triggers on noncreatures, not creatures
oops, well this makes him a lot better, but I still doubt I would play him as commander though.
>>
File: Losiva.jpg (38KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Losiva.jpg
38KB, 223x310px
>>51943417
Losiva Coldeyes looks awesome and dirt cheap to boot. Thanks for the suggestion anon!
>>
Just getting into the format, bought a Gay Greek Guys deck and want to build it into something unique. What are your thoughts on buying singles instead of trading for EDH cards? I know some people say it's more satisfying and your deck feels more personal if you trade into it, but I dunno, that seems way too limiting.
>>
>>51943637
>I wouldn't say that at all, I think it's a great card and very versatile. First and foremost she's a sac outlet and gains your life while doing it, secondly she rewards you for lifegain by giving you access to her second ability and having Deathtouch she's pretty good in combat too. She has a huge impact asshe enters the board.

by the way, this what i thought of her as well. but the thing is that she's not that great of a sac outlet because of the 1 mana cost per sac, and she's not that great of a spot removal engine because of the "you need 50 life" clause. there are so many hoops to jump through just to get your hands on that permanent removal, and at that point you'll STILL be spending 3 mana and a creature per removal. it's actually much more efficient to do what kambal does, which is gain tons of life and use that life to activate Greed 10 times and use those spells to actually do the spot removing.

i've tried building her a couple of times, but trying to make a reanimating lifegain deck is just really difficult. there are simply not enough slots in the deck to feed both strategies, so you end up with a deck that does one half the time, and the other the other time. i eventually gave up and just built dimir instead.

again, these are my opinions but i feel that i'm pretty learned when it comes to orzhov commanders
>>
>play 1v1 commander game sadface.jpg (NOT DUEL COMMANDER)
>Titania + Ravos (friend) vs. Ghave (me)
>his deck's basically a ghave deck with red and extremely combo focused
>my Ghave deck is more focused on generating value, barely running any combos and still needs testing
>I have a slow start while he sets up everything he needs for his combo
>Gets out Sol Ring, Scroll Rack, Nim Deathmaantle, Ashnod's, Skullclamp, Mirari's Wake, Sword of Light and Shadow, Miri's Guile, Sylvan Library, and dismembers Ghave before he slaps down Avenger of Zendikar and loops him with his Mantle for infinite tokens, the sacs a few to draw like 30 cards but doesn't draw into the creatures he needs but gets Sidisi and then uses his last colored mana to cast Sidisi and tutor as much as he wants, the casts Metallic Mimic giving all his plants counters and Duplicant exiling my Butcher
>he has infinite tokens, infinite colorloess mana and infinite tutors, but doesn't have the colored mana to kill me yet so he passes the turn
>my field is empty except for Butcher of Malakir
>I cast Eternal Witness, get Beseech the Queen from my gy cast it tutoring for Austere Command
>show him the card jst as beseech states
>him "how many mana do you have open?"
>me "Seven"
>I cast it choosing Artifacts and creatures below 4cmc
>scoops in response because he has no way of getting his artifacts back.
>>
>>51943711
Good pick, my dude.
>>
>>51943758
>she's not that great of a sac outlet because of the 1 mana cost per sac,
I don't thnk it hinders her abilityto function as a sac outlet much, Ghave is one of the best sac outlets in the game imo and he requires 1 colorsless too though his effect is stronger too.
>and she's not that great of a spot removal engine because of the "you need 50 life" clause
I see her second ability more as a bonus or "reward" as I said previously and being in black and white removing stuff shouldn't be a problem without her.
>spending 3 mana and a creature per removal.
>and a creature
see, I don't see this as a drawback since if you build the deck well this can be more of a bonus, just think about having Butcher of Malakir, Cauldron of Souls or Athreos out. it's very easy to abuse having to sacrifice a creature and again you're in black and white you have access all the spot removal (permanent or not) and boardwipes that you need so you don't need to rely on that ability but only use it once it pushes you ahead massively.
>i've tried building her a couple of times, but trying to make a reanimating lifegain deck is just really difficult
you definetely have more experience with her than I do then, because I haven't build her yet only used her as part of the 99 so far and you may be right in all what you say, I just wanted to give you my opinion, a different perspective, so to speak.
>>
What character in the lore that doesn't have a card yet would you want printed as a commander?

Hard mode: Can't be dead.
>>
>>51944038
Are Ashnod and Tawnos dead?
>>
File: Image.jpg (33KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
33KB, 223x310px
>>51936355
No one expects a mono-red deck that can out perma-steal mono-blue
>>
>>51944038
Ugin
>>
>>51944038
The Raven Man. Dude's probably an agent of Bolas or even some sort of manifestation of Bolas himself.
>>
>>51943758
She infinitely combos with like eight different cards, I think you're undervaluing her.
>>
>>51944038
Windgrace

As to why the fuck we need two cat Planeswalkers I'll never know.
>>
>>51936285
If you have more than 3-4 creatures total in zurgo helmsmasher then you're building him wrong
>>
>>51943982
>I don't thnk it hinders her abilityto function as a sac outlet much, Ghave is one of the best sac outlets in the game imo and he requires 1 colorsless too though his effect is stronger too.

ghave is more of a combo engine than a reanimator sac outlet though.

typically when i build a reanimator deck, i put in around 4-6 sac outlets that have a low cmc cost and cost nothing to use. so essentially, i much prefer sac outlets like carrion feeder, viscera seer, spawning pit and so on even though they don't "do" much anything. it's more about being able to sac your board in response to a mass exile or a living death and less about getting extra benefits out of your shit dying.

that's just the way i build my decks though. there's nothing i hate more than being unable to respond something because my sac outlet costs 1 mana to use.
>>
File: 214.jpg (62KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
214.jpg
62KB, 312x445px
>>51936355
My main deck is Squee control. It's fun. Just abuse him with Skullclamp and loot effects to grind out card advantage and clear the board with Ugin or Earthquake effects.
>>
>>51944245
I totally agree with you, that for straight up reainmator you want cheap sac outlets don't have no cost for sacrificing your stuff but I prefer to get extra benefits out of my stuff dying that's why I like Ayle, Ghave, etc. but I'd never build a gy focused without "free" sac outlets like Ashnod's, Viscera Seer or Vish Kal (though Vish Kal does both).
especially in black and green I feel like it's barely ever a drawback to need to spend mana to sac stuff, green ramps very well and black has tons of mana doublers that are effective even in multicolor thanks to urborg.
>>
>>51936355
Spirit of the Night at 19
>>
>>51936285
If you're trying to not use blue or green entirely, I don't know, but if you're fine with azorius, Brago is busted with him
>>
>>51943800
>Titania + Ravos
What? Besides, how did you have Butcher on the field after it got exiled with Duplicant?
>>
File: 56.jpg (70KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
56.jpg
70KB, 312x445px
Man, I really want an Ugin. But I could also buy like 3 No Mercys for the same price.
>>
>>51944981
>>Titania + Ravos
*Tana and Ravos, I always confuse Titania and Tana
My bad I didn't have a butcher out anymore, as I was wrting I started remembering more details and forgot to delete that line
>>
File: Muh decks.png (2MB, 1560x492px) Image search: [Google]
Muh decks.png
2MB, 1560x492px
>>51937733
>>
>>51945059
Why is this a $10 card? It seems pretty underwhelming. I wouldn't even run it if I had one.
>>
>>51945209
git gud then
>>
>>51939818
Liiiiiiiiist.
>>
>>51945209
Because it kills the creature if it deals ANY damage to you, which is pretty nice. Of course, you're probably one of those faggots that will say, "If you're dealing any damage to a player, you need to be winning the game", or some lame-ass shit.
>>
>>51941960
I play Intet. This shit would fuck me up.
>>
>>51945267
Sorry I made fun of your favorite card. Don't get so defensive next time
>>
>>51942060
I want to animate Doubling Season and swing with it with Blade of Selves equipped.
>>
Hello /edh/, lurker here.

i came to share this abomination of a deck:
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ludevic-co-candy-van/

if you have some nasty card to add, let me know.
>>
>>51940085
The ways Yahenni, Rishkar, and Baral aren't compatible make me wonder if earlier drafts of their expertises cast the free spell first.
>>
File: 1446053019705.gif (1MB, 200x118px) Image search: [Google]
1446053019705.gif
1MB, 200x118px
>>51945135

>Tribal/fuck nonbasics
>>
>>51941619
Outpost seige, early game it keeps you from going hellbent, late game it boosts your bolts, latest game it makes your embermaw hellion fucking stupid with goblin bombardment.
>>
>>51941887
my favorite bolt in omnath is ingot chewer.
>>
File: what would you put on top.jpg (59KB, 445x310px) Image search: [Google]
what would you put on top.jpg
59KB, 445x310px
>>
File: mm146_manaCircle5.gif (130KB, 620x250px) Image search: [Google]
mm146_manaCircle5.gif
130KB, 620x250px
Should I build Doran or Alesha, /edhg/?
>>
>>51945209
only been printed once, apparently. i'd love it if it got a reprint though, it's a great card for EDH politicking. kinda like a grave pact but it won't make people shit their pants when they see it
>>
>>51945059
> Ugin is $40 now

Fuck, glad I got one when I did
>>
>>51945059
>>51945608
>Bought two for $40 total for Tron a while back

Nice.
>>
>>51940286
That sounds arbitrary as fuck, what do you do when a card rises in price?
>>
What's your favorite tribe, /edh/? Mine personally is giant motherfucking sea monsters.
>>
>>51946028
So your'e saying you have a Saint Traft tribal deck?
>>
File: 49.jpg (70KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
49.jpg
70KB, 312x445px
>>51945405
>>
File: Generals.png (3MB, 934x1336px) Image search: [Google]
Generals.png
3MB, 934x1336px
>>51946028
I didn't know my favorite was Angels until an anon here pointed it out.

I just unconciously made 3 commanders who are also Angels, and Avacyn is an Angel Tribal deck. (with boardwipes galore)
>>
should i buy a box of modern masters?
>>
>>51946210
Buy the singles that you want from it anon.

If you plan to break even selling goodstuff that you might get from one, don't count on it, let alone making money off it unless you're really lucky.
>>
>>51946210
Do you enjoy wasting money?
>>
File: IMG_3165.jpg (412KB, 1570x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3165.jpg
412KB, 1570x1536px
>>51946057
>saint taft
>sea monsters tribal
What?
>>
File: 271.jpg (72KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
271.jpg
72KB, 312x445px
Why are the filter lands so expensive? I don't think they're played outside of Commander, right? And even then I never see anyone playing them, because either people go for cheaper alternatives or they go all out with duals and fetches.
>>
File: Mortal Combat.jpg (35KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Mortal Combat.jpg
35KB, 300x300px
Am I a fool to run this in mimeoplasm?
>>
>>51946479
9 years old, no reprints aside from expeditions, very playable in commander.

I'd say they rarely see play because at their price point, frugal people would rather get shocks and fetches while people with more money than sense spend their money on tier 1 decks with more CMC1 cards and less gold/high devotion cards, making filters less worth playing.
>>
Hey guys I'm making a durdly controlly pillowforty lifegainy deck and I'm wondering: How much ramp do I need? My average cmc is like 3.5. Do I actually need any besides sol ring if I just intend to sit around in my fort and and watch the game unfold? Does including casual ramp staples like Hedron Archive and Signets actually help at all if I'm in no need to ramp up to any specific mana cost to do my thing?
>>
>>51946479
Because they came out a decent time ago and haven't really been reprinted, and were in a block that wasn't heavily opened.

You really wanna lose your mind, look up foreign copies of Shadowmoor cards.
>>
>>51946728
Some ramp is good, but you don't need to go balls-to-the-wall. I'd say Sol Ring, your 3 Signets, and then things like Hedron Archive (which can be converted into draw when you're flush with mana) should be fine.
>>
>>51946237
He plays MTG.
>>
>>51946921
i don't like the idea of including themes that consist of less than 10 cards. either you need something, or you don't need it. putting 5 ramp cards just means that you'll only sometimes draw them, rather than drawing them at least once every time.

i think i'll actually try putting in 10 ramp cards and see if that speeds up my ability to draw more cards and answer to threats
>>
>>51946295
Shitty forced meme from a few months back, ignore it
>>
>>51946028
Jellyfish.
>>
>>51946955
Ramp is not 'a theme'.

>that you'll only sometimes draw them
...yeah? That's kinda the point of EDH, buddy.
>>
>>51946900
>You really wanna lose your mind, look up foreign copies of Shadowmoor cards

Other than some foils having really absurd prices. I'm not seeing much difference between them and english copies
>>
>>51947011
ramp is definitely a theme though

for example, my maelstrom deck simply does not function if it doesn't start with or draw into ramp cards in the first 3 turns or so. i rely on drawing that ramp, hence why it's a theme that makes my deck function. that's why it has 14 ramp cards or something like that.

including only 5 ramp cards is kinda dumb because then you can't rely on drawing them, nor can you rely on NOT drawing them either. they will just sort of appearing randomly in your good starting hands occasionally if you're really lucky

and that's basically why i include at least 10 ramps if i decide to include any besides ol sol ring
>>
>>51947055
Russian cards, specifically. Russian Shadowmoor cards (and double especially FOIL Russian Shadowmoor) are dumb levels of expensive because of how little that set was opened in that language.

A Reaper King is 5 dollars.
A FOIL Reaper King is 35 dollars.
A foil RUSSIAN Reaper King is 200+
>>
>>51947072
Ramp can be a theme, but just because you put a few mana-rocks into a deck doesn't mean your deck has a "ramp theme".

If your logic is that you either need 20 ramp cards or 0, I don't know what to tell you man.
>>
>>51947088
i said 10 ramp cards, and yes, i do think it's a fact that you should either have 0 or 10 or more.

ramp is a very simple and binary answer to the question of "Do I need to draw ramp in the beginning of the game?"

if the answer is yes, then you should put enough ramp cards that you can reliably draw that ramp in the beginning of the game.

if the answer is no, then you shouldn't put ramp cards besides the really obvious and strong cards like sol ring. because you obviously don't want to draw them.

if the answer is "i only want to draw ramp sometimes" then you are a bit of a goofball
>>
>>51947118
I disagree.
>>
>>51947130
alright

but if it isn't too much bother, please explain why you feel that way
>>
>>51947143
I feel like your way is fine if you're building a deck that -needs- to ramp early, like Maelstrom Wanderer, absolutely.

But I think that most EDH games are Battlecruiser Magic, and go for a while. Having 6 mana on turn 4 is strong, but having 10 mana on turn 8 is still good, too. I'd RATHER draw my ramp earlier in the game than later, but I don't mind drawing a Signet on turn 4, for example. If you're not worried about someone else having a super explosive start, the ramp will be somewhat useful no matter when you draw it, so I'm okay just putting a handful of ramp cards in for general usefulness without diluting the shit out of what your deck is TRYING to do.
>>
>>51944038
Granny Jaya
jk I'd want her as a PW
>>
File: Glarecaster_ON.jpg (60KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
Glarecaster_ON.jpg
60KB, 312x445px
>>51946028
It's either giants, druids or clerics probably. I love my Ayli cleric tribal. I made it for bar games originally and I absolutely love winning with this piece of shit
>>
>>51946938
>MtG
>Waste of moneys
Literally investing in stocks :^)
>>
>>51947177
>so I'm okay just putting a handful of ramp cards in for general usefulness without diluting the shit out of what your deck is TRYING to do.

well, the way i see it is that ramp actually condenses your deck when used in conjunction with draw. the more card slots you spend on draw and ramp means that the more you'll see the best cards in your deck. in other words, it thins your deck

of course, i understand the sentiment of intentionally putting not putting draw/ramp in your deck for the very same reason, as in you want to see variety in your deck. sometimes when i want to test out multiple new fun cards at the same time, i find myself having to gimp my deck by cutting land, draw or ramp
>>
>>51946028
Gobbos. I've built so many Goblin decks
>>
File: 84.jpg (66KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
84.jpg
66KB, 312x445px
>>51946028
Call me boring, but I love me some good ol' zombonies. They've gotten so much support that you can actually take them in different directions.
>>
File: 147.jpg (76KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
147.jpg
76KB, 312x445px
>like cards like this and Guttersnipe
>too chicken to run any of the Izzet generals because of the hate they draw
>>
>>51947771
Just run one of the shitty ones like Tibor and Lumia.
>>
>>51937309
Ironically, putting Omnath in the command zone is probably a better way to consistently have access to Vorinclex than putting Vorinclex in the command zone. Green has tons of creature tutors and yard-to-hand recursion and Omnath will help you be able to actually cast him.
>>
>>51946028
Dragons of course
>>
>>51947803
>T&L
>Shitty
Nigger, I will fight you
>>
>>51948063
Let me rephrase that:

Just run one of the less-immediately-threatening ones, like Tibor and Lumia
>>
>>51946028

Someday wotc will give me a jund-colored legendary insect
>>
>>51940047
Ant Queen, Avenger of Zendikar, Wolfbriar Elemental, Hornet Queen, Verdant Force, Mycoloth, Awakening Zone, From Beyond,
>>
>>51940478
Well, you posted the best one, so
>>
>>51948114
You know that's one of the first legendaries ever printed, right?
>>
File: 187.jpg (57KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
187.jpg
57KB, 312x445px
>>51948114
Hi.
>>
File: 87.jpg (62KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
87.jpg
62KB, 312x445px
>>51940478
>>
>>51946028
Ninja, Zombies, Spiders and old slivers
>>
Why do people like people like infinite combos so much? I just want to play the game.
>>
>>51948306
because they arent good enough to be spikes in other formats
>>
>>51948306
What? You mean that why people like combos or why people like others who play combo?
Playing combo is playing the game. Literally nothing wrong with it.
>>
>>51948306
Because nobody is playing Vintage, so this is the only format they can rub their tiny little penises with their degenerate cards while everyone's watching.
>>
>>51948402
Infinite combos, not just combos anon.
>>
>>51948417
To be fair, most people mean 'infinite combos' when they say 'combo'. Something like Ghave + Doubling Season with nothing else involved would usually be called 'synergy' rather than 'combo'.
>>
>>51948436
Oh right. Well, I just mean stuff that when played it basically means "I win and you can't do anything about it"
>>
>>51948452
Right, that'd be infinite combos. That's what a lot of people take umbrage with- it's really shitty to just have a game instantly end because you didn't have a counterspell in hand.

I, personally, find no FAULT with people who enjoy infinite combos, I just personally don't enjoy "oops I won".
>>
>>51948452
So infinite mana combos and infinites that don't win the game on the spot are okay for you?
>>
>>51948482
Yes? That's ok to be honest. If you're still able to win, it's ok for me.
>>
>>51936423
I kept hearing how awesome he was so I went and got him but now took him out its too slow for all decks but my 5c all basics deck and even there its only just average.
why is that card so popular/more than a dollar?
>>
>>51948482
Not the guy you quoted, but I'm okay with those.

My gripe about most infinite combos is that they render the entire game up to that point, pointless. Doesn't matter what damage you've done, what board state you've set up, what other plays you've stopped or whatever, you just instantly lose because you didn't have a counterspell in hand. I'm not saying they're broken or unfair, I'm saying I, personally, find that unfun and boring. If your combo is "I make a million mana" or "I gain a shitload of life" but the game isn't immediately over, I still have the opportunity to fight through it.
>>
>>51948270
>>51948253

Time to do something with this newfond knowledge
>>
>>51940098
>seabeast tribal

you anon
I like you
we are cut from the same cloth
But kiora is my waifu I'm sorry for your loss
>>
>>51948567
To be fair, it used to be the best (in some cases, the ONLY) non-rock acceleration for non-green decks. It was Rampant Growth stapled to a 2/2 for 4 (where that'd cost 2GG, so that's fine), with a card draw thrown in. As time has gone on, we've gotten other things like Burnished Hart that kinda outclass it.

So it's a combination of "used to be popular" price memory and nostalgia, I guess?
>>
>>51948567
He's good if you can recur him, and good for decks that have difficulty accruing card advantage.
>>
>>51948585
What if I'm playing Memnarch?
Then the game isn't over and isn't over for a long time
>>
>>51948588
>Newfound knowledge
My dude you should learn how to use Gatherer to search for shit, because that card has existed for literally 22 years. It was in the seventh Magic set ever released, and only the third expansion overall.
>>
>>51948647
I'd call infinite mana in Memnarch a game-over thing, because now we all have zero permanents and whatever we play, you'll just immediately steal. Unless I know we can set something up like someone dropping a Mountain and a Shattering Spree on Memnarch and then the next person getting out a Brooding Saurian, the game is over.
>>
>>51947076
You can get a russian reaper king on MCM for €4,95. Not foil though.
>>
>>51945336
>Outpost seige
Excellent idea, thanks!
>>
File: 1472183458257.jpg (30KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1472183458257.jpg
30KB, 500x500px
>When you know you own a specific card but can't find it

Fuck you staff of Nin.
>>
>>51948972
It's even worse when it's a trash un-/common and you start doubting yourself after sifting through your piles for a few hours. Like, I was certain I owned Disciples of Griselbrand...
>>
>>51948972
>Thought I lost my Delver
>Turned out to be in a box of older cards alongside my Thalia
>Now have the full Delver cycle for Wizard Tribal and an addition to my Sisay shitbrew
>>
File: 1485477527655.jpg (231KB, 869x943px) Image search: [Google]
1485477527655.jpg
231KB, 869x943px
>>51949025
I've searched for an hour already, I specifically got a refund on this after ordering because the condition was bad so I'm absolutely sure I own it, I hate this so much.
>>
>>51946028
Zombies, goblins, slivers long live the hive have to be my top 3 in no particular order
>>
File: 140a.jpg (64KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
140a.jpg
64KB, 312x445px
>>51948972
iktf
>>
>>51948698
>Brooding Saurian
Holy shit. Fucking required; there's been a Memnarch deck wreaking havoc on my group the past few sessions
>>
>>51948972
>go to buy a consecrated sphinx
>nope
>go to buy a craterhoof
>nope
>go to buy a cabal coffers
>nope
>go to buy a dirty mike
>after the millionth time, they have it
Sometimes dreams do come true.
>>
>>51949294
The benefit of playing for 15 years is "I know a bunch of random fucking cards".
>>
>>51948972
That feeling is what finally forced me to gather up literally every card I owned that wasn't in a deck and sort them out.

If it's not in a deck, or in my binder, then it's in a central location, sorted alphabetically. If it ain't in those boxes or a binder, I don't have any that aren't spoken for.
>>
File: 25.jpg (57KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
25.jpg
57KB, 312x445px
Haven't bought cards in years, so I'm treating myself now and put €150 into my MCM account. Giddy like a kid at christmas browsing all this stuff. Gonna get a ton of playsets of bread and butter commons and uncommons I'm still missing, because no one ever carries them around for trades.
>>
File: the fuck.gif (2MB, 460x258px) Image search: [Google]
the fuck.gif
2MB, 460x258px
>>51949571
>Playsets
>Commander
>>
File: bruce.jpg (13KB, 208x199px) Image search: [Google]
bruce.jpg
13KB, 208x199px
>>51946728
status update regarding this

>try adding 12 cheapo ramp cards and cut whatever to make room
>deck immediately becomes super fast on subsequent goldfishes
>shit out a ton of permanents and draw cards so fast that it looks like i'd draw a shitload of hate with a deck that's supposed to durdle

it truly is incredible what something as simple as adding a few good rocks does to a deck

i'm not sure whether i should cut the ramp out and be a humble unassuming taxman that no one cares about, or have the ramp stay in and be a very dangerous taxman that everyone wants dead
>>
>>51949603
I want to build more than one deck, friend.
>>
>>51947076
Where do you buy foreign cards? I'd like to get some german cards, but tcgplayer isn't showing a hell of a lot of them
>>
>>51949621
Here's the way I see it: if you have enough rocks, you have the resources to deal with anyone that wants to fuck with you when people get annoyed at you for taxing them. If you don't have those rocks, people are still going to get annoyed at you for taxing them, except you won't be able to do anything about it.
>>
>>51940558
Once more asking about how many rocks that tap for colored mana to make Paradox Engine a wincon?
>>
>>51949721
Honestly, I don't. Occasionally Starcity has some foreign cards, but the Reaper King I stumbled upon by blind fucking chance at Vegas 2: Son of Vegas.

I think most people that buy foreign cards use MCM.
>>
>>51949780
well it's less about threats on the board and more about 3 players throwing vindicates at me because i have permanents on the board

my group gets pretty triggered when they see me ramp up in general

but you are right. i think i might include karmic justice to compliment my rock-based gameplay
>>
File: 1486882453069.jpg (54KB, 476x687px) Image search: [Google]
1486882453069.jpg
54KB, 476x687px
>>51949101
I've looked through literally all my cards and haven't found it. i must have traded it away or something.

Fuck this gay earth.
>>
>>51950076
I went through that with some cheap cards.

I mean, I was already gonna order a bunch of other stuff for the deck, but the whole time I was thinking "I fucking know I fucking have a fucking Bonesplitter, where is it"
>>
>>51950347
>>51950347
>>51950347
NEW THREAD IN THIS PIECE
>>
>>51950076
I'm going through the same thing with a goblin welder I could have sworn I had.
Thread posts: 329
Thread images: 71

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.