[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Game General /bgg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 394
Thread images: 54

File: wood.jpg (101KB, 576x360px) Image search: [Google]
wood.jpg
101KB, 576x360px
Previous thread:
>>51873723

Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

It's Monday, so time for news, what new releases look good to you, any new stores open nearby, what'd you play? Any projects you're working on?
>>
>>51932166
I think blood rage was a stupid game but i think rising sun looks pretty cool desu
>>
Looked into Millennium Blades and it looks pretty legit
I really don't wanna buy it at 80 + shipping though, because I don't think anyone in my group would wanna play it more than once
>>
>>51932238
I know that feel anon, sometimes you buy a game and it just sits, only solution I've found is smaller/local cons where I run the game and hope people sign up.
>>
File: mythic battles heavy hitters.jpg (483KB, 800x900px) Image search: [Google]
mythic battles heavy hitters.jpg
483KB, 800x900px
Looking for a cool miniatures fighting game. Help me decide between these two.
>>
>>51932452
Why not a minitures game that's already out and has decent reviews? Don't gamble on kickstarter shit anon
>>
>>51932452
Get the guild ball starter box instead, or the suicide squad box for the batman miniatures game.
>>
>>51932452
Tannhauser.
>>
>>51932452
why do you keep posting this? are you shilling or are you just unable to make decisions?

If you're shilling fuck you. If you're unable to make decisions buy something that has legit reviews and don't rely on kickstarter hype.
>>
File: kickoff.jpg (1024KB, 2502x1314px) Image search: [Google]
kickoff.jpg
1024KB, 2502x1314px
>>51932452
>>51932578
Seconding the Guild Ball Kickoff! box. You won't regret it, plus it's cheap -- MSRP is $70 USD. Hardest part is finding a copy, but the reprint is hitting stores now/soon so that will be a thing of the past too.
>>
>>51932452
Why don't you get games that are actually good instead of
>hurrdurr gots to have them shiny plastics with the dicechucking and the amerigarbage.
>>
>>51933011
How about recommending something in the genre he asked about or ignoring him instead of being a noncontribution to discussion
>>
>>51933411
I'm pretty sure the title atop this thread is "Board Game General", not "Action figures for Manchildren General".
>>
>>51933453
It's also not a "shitpost about things you don't like" thread
>>
File: 1478190174438.png (100KB, 639x489px) Image search: [Google]
1478190174438.png
100KB, 639x489px
>there will never be a monster hunter style board game that isn't shit or filled to the brim with fucking minitures
>>
>>51933636
> checks the url bar
Yeah, no, I'm pretty sure it is.
>>
>>51933011
Well I have never owned such a combat game and would really like to have one and these two really speak to me. I like the way they look and I like how combat works.

Right now I'm 60:40 in favor of Mythic Battles.
>>
>>51933453
boy you sound like a total eurofag, do you enjoy playing with yourself in front of other people?
>>
>>51933717
just curious, do you have a problem with miniatures or just the "i need minis" culture that ks has devolved to?

KDM is a good game but costs so much because of aforementioned culture, so I'm curious where you're coming from. Would you buy KDM if it was say 60 dollars but came with cardboard standees (all possible add ons included) instead?
>>
>>51933717

I always thought an asymmetric card game with one side playing the hunter and the other playing monster(s) would work well. The monster player controls the environment, enemies, and must limit the hunter's resource gathering before they farm the materials they need to take down the monster. If the hunter doesn't defeat the monster in x turns or loses all health they lose.

Simple but could work well.
>>
>>51933953
I sure am, and I do -- because that's exactly what boardgames are. Playing with toys is some other faggot activity.
>>
>>51933984
>literal 500 dollar plastic pusher LOOKIT DEM MINIS shit
>go-guys it's a good game really!

lol fuck off, come back when you play a real game, like Jaipur or Santorini
>>
>>51933984
My problem with modern miniature games is that the retail version is at best a gutted release compared to the KS version.
>>
>>51934509
>real game
Surely you mean Valley of the Kings.
>>
>>51934688
>>51934509
>whynotboth.png
>>
>>51934509
That was my point though, would you buy it if it wasn't based on the plastic?

I personally have it and wish I could have bought it for 50-60 dollars but not have paid for plastic. Do you think that is a realistic vision for the game moving forward?

Basically I think it is a well designed game but cashed in on the miniature-based culture of ks. Do you think that is an accurate assessment or do you think the game is just bad?
>>
>>51933984

>KDM is a good game but costs so much because of aforementioned culture

Gonna have to stop you right there friendo. The minis are part of the cost, yes, but a small one. There's also the other 18 or so lbs of dead tree with high quality images printed on all of it.
>>
>>51934663
This has nothing to do with KDM as KDM did not have a retail release, but I guess thanks for bumping or something?
>>
>>51933984
Maybe. I think KDM has alot of jank going for it in the form of the town stuff and the pre-hunt bit. The actual combat seems really fun but the game actually revolving around the town's development really kills it. I would however buy a version without minis probably yes.

>>51934147
Literally what I've been trying to design in my head, maybe a all v 1 style card game
>>
>>51932238
Everyone's group is different, but I can tell you that my group and I have played it upwards of 15 times and are nowhere near bored, and that was before we got all this new expansion content. So take that as you will.

Level 99 has a reputation for cramming tons of shit into their games to increase the replayability and millennium blades is no exception.
>>
>>51934964
They are the main cost. Show me minis of this quality in another game that are not overcosted and I will either agree with you or show you a game that bases its price solely on minis unlike KDM which prices high because it is unique and has quality minis.
>>
Your opinion on Innovation, /bgg/? A friend told me it's pretty good and I'm considering buying it.
>>
>>51935002
If by jank you mean randomness then yes, you are correct but that adds value to some people (like me) who want to have an experience.

I appreciate your comment and think we are more or less agreeing here.
>>
>>51934957
Not that I don't agree with you that there should be a non-plastic laden version, but just want to point out that a pretty common misconception is that its all the models that make up the bulk of the game cost. It's actually the ridiculous amount of printing costs due to the huge amounts of high quality cards and the campaign books and shit. This may differ for the expansions as there's a lot less cardboard, but at least for the base game, it's really all about the wood.
>>
>>51935060
It's partially the randomness and that there's just way too many fucking mechanics going on. Totally understand that it appeals to people who want a grand epic adventure of human survival in a dark grim world but when I want to play a game about fighting monsters I want more ripping a lions testicles off and less spending time building a settlement
>>
>>51934964
>Gonna have to stop you right there friendo. The minis are part of the cost, yes, but a small one. There's also the other 18 or so lbs of dead tree with high quality images printed on all of it.
Gonna have to stop you right there friendo. Gloomhaven, for example, has 25 lbs of dead tree products including nearly 200 pages of full color rules, 1600 cards, lots and lots of sealed boxes and a main box that is actually larger than KD:M's box in terms of total volume (and 18 PVC plastic minis) and only comes in at an MSRP of $120.

KD:M's price tag is driven by its minis. Hard plastic minis are not cheap. The estimated ~$100 MSRP of a miniature-less version of KD:M is, as far as I can tell compared to other games in the genre, quite accurate at best and at ballpark at worst.

And I'm not even talking shit about KD:M. I think it's a good game with great minis. But I'd never recommend it to someone who didn't like both the gameplay and also want to paint the minis. If you don't check both of those boxes then it's a bad deal.
>>
>>51935031

The box weighs 17 lb as per the website.

There's 13 miniatures inside the box

We'll stretch it and say they weigh 2 lbs all together.

You're telling me, that the reason that game costs several hundred dollars, is because of those 13 miniatures, not because of the 15 lbs of material that is created, organized, and managed by a company made up of like less than 5 people.

If after understanding this, you still think the cost comes from those miniatures, when the creator of it all is kind of retarded from a business standpoint, almost bankrupting the company after the first kickstarter because he underpriced things, then there's no point continuing this discussion further. You have some weird festering issue that I won't even bother trying to pinpoint.

So I'll just call you pants on head retarded.
>>
Just canceled my pledge for GKR: Heavy Hitters. Read the rulebook and gotta say... what a pile of shit. All style and no substance. Maybe it's just the rulebook but it sounds fucking awful.
>>
>>51935131
If I recall correctly, a miniatureless version was being sold at a convention a while back by the creator for 250. The normal MSRP is 400. So take that as you will.

Unfortunately it was only for people at the convention at the time, and I think he sold so few he didn't think it was worth it to make it available outside of that instance.
>>
>>51935177
Anon, the person being retarded is you.

Kingdom Death: Monster (1.0) comes with 42 miniatures. One of those, the Phoenix, is fucking enormous and miniatures of comparable size made out of comparable high quality materials sold by other companies go for $75 to $100 a piece. Even the human minis in the game are larger than average and are multi-piece kits and not mono-pose kits driving their price up.

If you were to itemize the amount of sprues in KD:M and compare them to the price of Malifaux, Warmachine and Games Workshop sprues you would find that it accounts for nearly the entire MSRP of the game. There are a lot of sprues in that box. Of course, those other companies are overpriced, but the point is one of comparison.

And then you have the fact that there are actual games with significantly more cardboard content with MSRPs in the low 100s. I pointed out Gloomhaven in my previous post, but there are other examples.

Long story short, if you think that the cost of KD:M isn't at least, at the absolute minimum, driven at least half by the minis then you're a total retard. I personally lean towards 2/3rds being the minis.

>>51935273
>If I recall correctly, a miniatureless version was being sold at a convention a while back by the creator for 250.
You recall incorrectly. That version was being sold for $100. Not saying that's what the actual cost would be if he were to produce it, but that is what he sold it for.

In the end it doesn't matter, because the designer has stated with no lack of clarity that he will never produce a version of the game without minis; that sale was just versions of the game whose minis were pilfered and used for replacement claims.
>>
>>51935021
Most I'm worried about is it being too heavy or long for em
But after watching a few tutorials I think I could explain it well enough, now to find it in stock somewhere
>>
>>51935400
If you ease them into it, its really not complicated. Definitely play the tutorial tournament with just starting decks, and maybe dont use characters your first time. The game really isn't hard to learn. The only complications come from how many different interactions there are between the cards, and the potential stress of the time limit.

My group is pretty damn lenient with the time limit, and if there's ever anyone that needs a couple extra minutes, I usually set another 3 minutes on the clock and that works out well for us. We'd rather be enjoying ourselves than stressing out.
>>
Can someone elaborate on the differences and ensuing spat about Euro games vs. American? I'm not a complete board game noob but apparently I've missed a big culture shock there.
>>
>>51935669

This is reaaaally condensing things, but it's something like this

>Euro
All about system mechanics. Little to no random chance. Theme is low priority

>Ameritrash
All about the theme. Usually involved some method of random chance. Direct player elimination is a thing. System is usually low priority

Lately, there's been a lot of hybrids though, so the lines are kind of blurred.

In regards to people shit talking, the only constant I can think of is the concept of random chance. I love it, it forces you to think on the fly. People focused on euros hate it, because its not something they can predict.

Like knightmare chess. People serious about chess hate it, because they can no longer absolutely predict things, and it drives them up the wall. Or something along those lines.
>>
>>51935882
Thanks.

Coming from a person with an RPG group who's dabbled in your standard board games and some Warhammer, I can appreciate the differences.

The first time I played Dicehammer 40k, I felt like I was gambling.
>>
>>51936011
Ya, all of games workshops shit is just decehammer now. and the reason is that normies love games that don't require thought or skill, they wannna win or lost based on luck
>>
>>51935669
Euros are people who like to actually use their grey matter. Ameritrash are (as the term implies) for braindeads who like to play garbage.
>>
Dead of winter, yes or no?
>>
>>51936260
It's a more random battlestar galactica with a more accessible theme. take that how you will
>>
>>51935669
Outdated terms really. Euro implies a dry brain burner with a barebones theme but games like millennium blades and scythe which are way more euro and american in their focus on mechanics and player conflict are absolutley fucking dripping in theme. Inis too and Kemet and a shitload of other games i can think of.

No doubt I'll get a response telling me why none of these are euro games but my point is its an outdated term desu, thats why you cant categorise them
>>
I play Catan and Risk with a couple of my buddies but we're looking to find some other games we might like. Basically anything without too much chance involved and falling into the category of civilization development/war. Something good to play while drinking.
>>
>>51936487

> Catan
> without too much chance
>>
>>51936534
I wasn't saying Catan didn't have too much chance, I was asking for recommendations of similar games that don't have as much chance.
>>
>>51936446
fortunately hybrids (at least the ones I've played) generally bring out the best of both Ameritrash and Euro games, honestly the main distinction I look for nowadays in Ameritrash vs Euro is the amount of direct player interaction involved

and that's not really getting into other categories like wargames or train games and how they can blend with Ameritrash/Euro

>>51936487
here's a few games I've played while drinking or high that are relatively easy to pick up and don't involve as much dumb luck as Catan and Risk:

Wiz-War
Nevermore
Letters from Whitechapel
Neuroshima Hex
>>
>>51936260
Personally no. If you include a traitor and they show up then the traitor wins almost guaranteed as long as they can actually achieve their personal goal. The game is too knife-edged in balance to make a traitor a good idea. It's actually even a challenge to play the game without a traitor at all.
>>
>>51936446
It's not an outdated term.

Compare:
Kemet (a hybrid euro/ameritrash game)
Terra Mystica (a euro game)
War of the Ring 2nd edition (an Ameritrash game)
>>
>>51936605
>relatively easy to pick up and don't involve as much dumb luck as Catan and Risk

Exactly what I was looking for, wiz-war and neuroshima hex look great. Thanks!
>>
Hey gang, it's the dude who was trying to find co-op games for his wife last thread. Thanks for being cool and helping me out, I will be sure to look into those games - right now that Ghost Stories one looks pretty cool, but it wasn't at my FLGS, unfortunately. Also I am intrigued about the bioterrorist in 'on the brink' pandemic, that looks like a lot of fun in a large enough game.

Anyway, just wanted to drop in and thank those of you who helped me out last time,in case any of you are reading. I didn't check back in fast enough to reply in the last thread.
>>
>>51936260
If you're fine with ameritrash games, it's really fun for the first few games, then enjoyment drops off significantly.
>>
>>51937016

I missed the boat, but I picked up Eldritch Horror to play with my SO about a month ago and its been great. The game is a bit on the heavy side, but it's a lot of fun for two people who are already into board games and like horror themed stuff.
>>
>>51936839
no worries anon, I highly recommend playing with all variant rules that are listed with an asterisk in the rulebook for Wiz-War, they're classic edition rules that shit all over the FFG-ized rules. there's also thread on BGG that recommends removing a few cards to increase the intensity of the game, which may be of interest:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/9176767#9176767

>>51937016
glad to hear that you took my suggestions!
>>
>>51933984
The DnD board games are more of a hunting game than KDM, and they're not at all.
KDM is an ant colony torture sim, not a game.
>>
What are some decent dungeon-diving games? Preferably solo-capable.
>>
>>51933717
I've been trying to design something like this. A bit more FFTactics Advance than Monster Hunter.
>Modular heroes with a Job system and Job-specific abilities
>Clan building with heroes
>Procedurally generated hunting grounds with random climate, events monsters and even other hunters fighting you for your Mark
>Strong enemy AI so you don't need a forever DM or a fucking app
>>
>>51937768
Castle Ravenloft, maybe Shadows of Brimstone.
>>
>>51937877
>>Strong enemy AI so you don't need a forever DM or a fucking app
how would that be possible
>>
>>51938555
Kingdom Death did it fine.
>>
>>51938566
>Kingdom Death did it fine.
Yes. And Gloomhaven did it even better.

Speaking of which, I would recommend Gloomhaven to that anon, but... it's out of stock literally everywhere right now, so it's hard to get a hold of. My group is six scenarios in and it's just blowing our minds.
>>
>>51936583
Well the next logical step up to games with a BIT more advanced mechanics is something like Axis & Allies.

Now there are like 30 expansions and versions of it, but they all play similar.
>>
>>51938666
>Gloomhaven shills
Hope you bought that extra sicker book.
>>
>>51937240
Dang I'd love to get the wife into Arkham or Eldritch Horror, but the complexity of it's always put me off. I know she could manage it fine, I'm just worried it wouldn't hold her attention even though we both love the Lovecraft and horror.
>>
>>51938874

Don't get the AH board game, way too much for a new player. If you like card games and a roleplaying aspect, and don't mind the LCG model, the AH LCG is shaping up to be great so far, and we're just getting into the first half of the first real campaign.

As for EH, it improves on the AH boardgame in playability and is almost puzzley, if a little too random (so is the AH LCG, now that I mention it). I'd recommend having your wife watch this to get her into the boardgame:
https://youtu.be/RL_WqY3L4SA

Trust me, if my wife can play and enjoy both games, yours can too.
>>
>>51938835
>everybody who likes something is a shill
Hope you regain your faith in humanity someday anon.
>>
>>51939297
Did you get the extra stickers tho?
>>
File: flavors.jpg (180KB, 573x729px) Image search: [Google]
flavors.jpg
180KB, 573x729px
>>51939555
They didn't even sell extra stickers. You're memeing something that doesn't even exist. There's not even a need for it; the stickers just track what you've unlocked.
>>
File: 1448661804146.jpg (340KB, 1600x1013px) Image search: [Google]
1448661804146.jpg
340KB, 1600x1013px
>>51938874

Honestly while its an imposing board game at first, it actually isn't super complex to the point of distraction. Every PC has two actions, then every PC has an encounter card, then you process the Mythos card (based on the three top symbols and the text), then you repeat. It still is a lot to keep track of, but it's very manageable and moves decently fast once you know what you're doing. It helps that since it's a coop game, you really only need one person at the table who knows what they're doing. If you have the owner of the game process the Mythos cards, PC actions and encounter cards are very easy to understand. I ran three people through my copy of EH this weekend who had never played before, and they had a ton of fun.

One warning is that Fantasy Flight's box is literally the shittiest thing ever. The default organization material (like 4 bags and a useless cardboard insert) is legitimate horseshit. You'll want to at least get a ton of tiny bags to store stuff individually, and maybe make/buy a foam core insert for the game eventually. Doing anything like that will reduce setup massively, which otherwise takes forever as you make sure all the cards, tokens and mini cards are separated.
>>
I know Battlestar Galactica is a game that a lot of people have really enjoyed. I also know a lot of people consider it to have been "replaced" by more recent games with traitors.

If I love the show, is the BSG board game still worth getting?
>>
>>51940222
>I also know a lot of people consider it to have been "replaced" by more recent games with traitors.
It has only been "replaced" if you're looking for faster, lighter traitor games. Battlestar Galactica is still hands down the reigning king of long-form heavy traitor games. If you're willing to put 3 to 4 hours into a heavy duty traitor game then you can't do better than BSG.

(And I'm not saying it's bad to prefer faster or lighter games. If that's your thing then go ahead for it and play these games.)
>>
>>51937729
nothing about your post is accurate, but if it made you feel happy to type it then I'm glad for you
>>
File: 20170227_221910-1024x576.jpg (129KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
20170227_221910-1024x576.jpg
129KB, 1024x576px
>>51939839

I got a Plano 3650N box that works pretty well, the cut up insert looks like shit but it works and I'm not really willing to spend money on something else.
>>
>>51940307
Tom Vasel claims that people playing it get really into the theme and start calling each other fracking toasters and shit. In your experience is this the case, or is that just his group?
>>
>>51938666
How does Gloomhaven do AI?
>>
>>51940552
Yes, but only if there's a couple of folks who have watched the show. If 2-3 people in the game have watched the show then the banter starts to flow and the rest of the table picks up on the meanings of the terms. If you're the only one at the table who has seen the show then it'll sink like a forced meme.

Also, fair warning, the base game only works properly with 5 people. If you add the third expansion then 6 works. I never play the game except with 5 to 6 players.
>>
>>51940595
Each enemy type has a small deck of cards. Each turn you flip a card and that determines when that enemy will act for a turn and what it will do.
>>
>>51940619
Sounds awesome, thanks.
>>
>>51933717
Play Kingdom Death on TTS.
>>
>>51936622
>Kemet (a hybrid euro/ameritrash game)
>no player elimination
>no luck
>victory-point based
You only think it has anything to do with Ameritrash because it has nice art and minis.
>>
>>51941053
you completely glossed over the fact it has direct player interaction, which is almost always absent in Euros
>>
>>51941053
>everything that is good is a quality of a eurogame
>everything that is bad is a quality of an ameritrash game
>therefore eurogames are great and ameritrash are bad
At some point all you're arguing is that good games are good because they're good with some pointless obfuscation, and then you just look like an idiot with a stick up his ass.
>>
>>51939625
>He didn't get the stickers.
>>
>>51940809
Interesting. Assuming we're still on Monster Hunter adaptations, I can see how it would make a better fit, even if KD:M's seems a lot more interesting with the moveset depletion. You could probably retool a hybrid of both and add in monster specific cards to a deck of a certain type, and adding or replacing certain cards after breaking body parts or deal enough damage. Probably fit in Dark Souls' no-deck-shuffle thing in too.
>>
>>51941297
>you completely glossed over the fact it has direct player interaction, which is almost always absent in Euros
You're a moron. All boardgames have direct player interaction. You can't see it because you're an idiot who only cares about muh monsters and muh lovecraft and muh robots beating each other up and can't actually focus on the game.

The meanest, cruelest games are games like Ticket to Ride and Agricola. (Of course they're well-designed, so they also scale very well to situations when you feel like being nice and not hurting anyone's feelings.)
>>
>>51941473
'Euro' games are actual games -- intellectual sport.

Ameritrash games are 'interactive experiences', i.e., roleplaying for losers, i.e., not actually games, just like Calvinball isn't actually a game.

Now, there isn't really anything wrong with roleplaying, but your sarcastic point is technically correct: every good game is a 'eurogame' and every bad game is 'ameritrash'.
>>
Should I get Eldritch Horror or Arkham LCG?

It seems like you have to sink some money into Arkham to really get something out of it.
>>
>>51942247
I almost never buy games based on theme and I sure as hell am not interested in Zombies vs. Cthulhu in Renaissance Italy, nice try though

also, please name three worker placement games that are not Argent: The Consortium and Sons of Anarchy that are more than "wew lad you got to the spot I wanted to take!!! you big meanie!!!" as worker placement games are the epitome of multiplayer solitaire

>Ticket to Ride and Argicola are the meanest, cruelest games
ok you're definitely tickling my funny bone here, good one m80

please go play any of the Pax series by Phil Eklund and come back when you have a basic understanding of what direct player interaction is
>>
Why is everyone in this general always so defensive?
>>
>>51942959
Puberty.
>>
>>51936622
But Kemet has no theme or unteresting gameplay, why do you mention it?
>>
Is Scythe actually as good as its ranked on Board Game Geek? It seems the reviews are pretty mixed on it.
>>
>>51942278
>"Games" witout player interaction
>with samey gameplay and strategies
>bunch of autists "build" something in their corner
>good
Give me your top 5 or 10 euro"games", so i can laugh on your double standarts and shitty taste.
>>
>>51943330
Garbage with no interaction or theme for autists. So, perfect game for bgg audience.
>>
>>51943347
Yeah, that's what quite a few of the user reviews were saying, yet it still managed a high score when a lot of the reviews were mediocre to negative. I thought that was weird. I was torn between getting that or Sekigahara, but I think I may stick with the latter. Though the pieces and setting aren't as cool, it looks to be a lot more fun comparitively.
>>
>>51939839
>>51939202

Nice, thanks. She's pretty cool about games like these so I know she'd give it a try. I might finally pick it up after salivating over it for all these damn years.
>>
File: 1488141694519.png (314KB, 711x664px) Image search: [Google]
1488141694519.png
314KB, 711x664px
>>51942278
>Intellectual sport
>>
My new life mission is to travel through lower middle class suburban America finding formatless Magic playing preteens and gifting them all copies of Hero Realms so they can fucking stop before it's too late.

I mostly jest, I just mean to say that Hero Realms feels pretty much identical to what it was like meeting up in the local Borders and playing random garbage decks against other kids - or what it should have felt like. You know, in this case it's actually fair, fun, only the cards that make any fucking sense are there, and you only need to buy it once.

It being a deckbuilder is the reason it works, of course. I'm really glad someone finally made "Exactly Like Magic: The Deckbuilding Game", makes you wonder why nobody did it sooner.

Legitimately great game, surprisingly does beat Star Realms on a theme level, and maybe a technical one if I can ignore that I've been memorizing SR cards for years. Highly recommend it.
>>
>>51942836
>>51943339
Look, I understand that you want to roleplay a badass who beats people up -- you work a desk job, or you were bullied at school, or maybe your girlfriend left you for a guy that lifts. Fine by me.

However:

a) Please realize that this shit has nothing to do with boardgames. It's nerd psychotherapy.

b) Don't abuse fancy-sounding words like 'direct player interaction' when you really mean something else.

By your retarded metric Go is a game without player interaction.

>>51943330
BGG ratings are universally shit. The only metric that matters is number of ratings, not rank or rating.
>>
>>51942278
Go back to your Rubik's Cube, autist.
>>
>>51943439
> anime poster
>>
>>51943484
> don't trigger my school bullying memories, you shitlord!!1
>>
File: 10582.jpg (44KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
10582.jpg
44KB, 512x512px
>>51943486
>Intellectual sport
>>
>>51943494
>not only am I pretentious, but I will greentext you to death if you are against me! Watch yourself!
>>
>>51943475
Yeah, I was thinking that may be the case, especially when I noticed a new Star Wars board game was in the top ten of all time.
>>
>>51943495
> anime poster
This shit writes itself.
>>
File: r23489527062.png (575KB, 770x578px) Image search: [Google]
r23489527062.png
575KB, 770x578px
>>51943511
was your bully that big of a guy anon? was your anal circumference permanently altered?
>>
>>51938555
AI coding is just text in a screen.
>>
>>51943577
>/tv/ memeing
This shit writes itself. Go back to your alt-right whining echo chamber.
>>
>>51940316
Not gonna help you justify spending $500 on fetish plastic dolls.
>>
What are some of your favourite games that fit neither into the category of eurogame or ameritrash?

Mine's Falling Sky, I love the tension that comes with each card flip, while the low amount of die rolling on the map makes for some great strategizing.
>>
File: r3q49285u.jpg (137KB, 800x712px) Image search: [Google]
r3q49285u.jpg
137KB, 800x712px
>>51943567
>being this upset that someone is posting anime on an anime website
>>
>>51943511
Don't worry, you'll find a girlfriend one day and it will be better.

>>51943563
This is the accurate rating chart that reflects reality: https://boardgamegeek.com/browse/boardgame?sort=numvoters&sortdir=desc
>>
File: r248527042.jpg (17KB, 240x214px) Image search: [Google]
r248527042.jpg
17KB, 240x214px
>>51943590
>having this little to say
>being this unoriginal
that bully did some real work on you anon, but therapy is generally covered by insurance these days and there's really no shame in it
>>
>>51943608
Oh don't worry, I'm the recent Onitama poster and I already got an adorable Nip gf. But thank you for worrying about my life, you should worry more about your own, your pretentious out-of-touch hipster.
>>
>>51942959
Lots of people on the bargaining stage of buyer's remorse for spending lots of money on shelfwarmers. We barely ever discuss games that are easy to take to the table just like /co/ never discusses generally well-liked comics.
>>
>>51935400
You play with a pre-release first to teach the the general flow of the game and the market part of the game moves like a well oiled machine. Thankfully all the starter decks make the pre release part of the game actually a really good tutorial.

The game is pretty fiddly with all the unique card abilities and the rather abstract nature of it, but the market is stupidly simple to teach. You can buy cards from the store or after market, sell cards to the after market with a token, trade with players as long as the deal is an "even trade" (any star differences made up for with money), and your goal is to build a deck and on the side build a collection.

>>51935021
Speaking of all that stuff, what variants have you tried? I always run with characters, but I've never used venues. One of my friends really wants the rule about fair trades to be gone but I like it as it encourages trading those friendship cards to slant deals one way or the other. I once gave a newcomer a millennium item to help them out as the book says they're pretty good crutches. The character promo cards just confuse me as to what good they're supposed to do.
>>
>>51943593
> What are some of your favourite games that fit neither into the category of eurogame or ameritrash?

I don't believe there's such a thing. All boardgames are 'eurogames'. (The classic games that define boardgaming -- chess, go, backgammon, dominoes -- these are all games with quintessentially 'euro' mechanics.)

American games are RPG's with autoscripted GM's.

I don't think you can have both.
>>
File: r2340895723489720.jpg (39KB, 540x456px) Image search: [Google]
r2340895723489720.jpg
39KB, 540x456px
>>51943592
>tfw you're so poor you belittle those who have disposable income on an anonymous rwandan bug collecting forum
>>
>>51943644
there's really no reason to discuss well liked games as the consensus on something like ticket to ride is just that it's a good gateway game. what more really is there to say? same with something like pandemic
>>
>>51943347
>Scythe
>no interaction
>no theme

Congratulations, that's the most retardist shit I've seen all day it's only 08:00 but still
>>
>>51936446
Both Inis and Kemet are Eurogames though. They have pretty much no connection between theme and System. They're like Lord of the Rings Chess, it may be a gorgeous design on a cool game, but it's simply not a thematic game.
>>
>>51943593
Is Falling Sky babbys first COIN game or is there something to it that makes a worthwhile play compared to the others.
>>
File: r824577092834.jpg (108KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
r824577092834.jpg
108KB, 900x900px
>>51943700
>tries to insult someone else's intelligence
>most retardist
>>
File: 1487870511145.jpg (62KB, 706x868px) Image search: [Google]
1487870511145.jpg
62KB, 706x868px
>>51943567
>Intellectual sport
Waiting for your argument anon
>>
>>51943608
Cool, checking it out now.
Thanks!

Nice thing is, going off recommendations anons have given me here I already have a few from the first page. Looks like I'm in for a good time.
>>
>>51941853
I would not use cards or any randomization elements for a Monster Hunter game (or Soulsborne) because monsters don't act at random. It's about action, reaction and learning both from the hunter and the monster's perspective.
>>
>>51943440
How different is it to star realms?
>>
>>51943761
that's why dark souls used a deck of cards for the bosses though....
>>
>>51943733
> Sport, noun: an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
Replace the word 'physical' with 'intellectual'.
>>
>>51943761

I dunno, as someone who has an entirely unhealthy number of hours of MonHun and Dark Souls under my belt, a *little* randomization wouldn't be entirely wrong, I think. Sometimes no matter how much you bait the double swipe so it leaves itself open, that Rajang just decides to keep spinballing the shit out of you. Sometimes you just misread and whiff atrociously. And of course, there's a hell of a lot of extra personal factors in your execution that vary between attempts and which cannot be really represented in a board game. A small amount of RNG with mitigation mechanics strikes me as a reasonable way to represent those imponderables in a board game, without making it as complex as actually taking them all into account would make the game.
>>
File: ai110.jpg (126KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ai110.jpg
126KB, 1920x1080px
>>51943862
Euros aren't entertaining :)
>>
>>51943761
Exactly, which is why I mentioned the Dark Souls thing. As >>51943772 said, it uses a deck of cards which you don't shuffle except during one or two points, so you can learn what a monster has in their repertoire, predict what the next card is, and play around it accordingly. I struggle to see a non-deck of cards alternative for it that isn't clunky to use, though this method does ignore how the monsters in Monster Hunter take distance (and I think HP and aggro too?) into account when choosing their next move. Unless each card has different moves with different conditions that you go through, like the AI for the Descent app.
>>
>>51943925
You're right, you have to have a competitive and sportsmanlike nature to enjoy boardgames. (A.k.a. 'euros'.)

If you want escapism then find some other hobby.
>>
>>51943862
I bet you believe MOBAs are worthy of their "eSport" label.
>>
File: 1465845131937.gif (2MB, 395x313px) Image search: [Google]
1465845131937.gif
2MB, 395x313px
>>51943653
Some days I just can't tell if this board is genuinely retarded or just baiting.
>>
File: carplle.jpg (125KB, 428x700px) Image search: [Google]
carplle.jpg
125KB, 428x700px
>>51944026
thank god you're here to post these gems faggot
>>
>>51943977
Euros discourage competetive interaction though so I don't really see your point. Are you really calling a 4 man solitaire a sport? Is blackjack at a table with 4 others a competetive sport?

I'd argue something like splendor where the player interaction comes from understanding exactly what your opponents intend to do and throwing as many wrenches in that as you can without fucking up but most euros have very very little in the way of actual competetive interaction or gameplay
>>
>>51943862
>exertion and skill
>competes against another
>for entertainment
Name me 1 (one) euro"game" with all of this, sheeple.
>>
File: r2309487250425.jpg (94KB, 803x688px) Image search: [Google]
r2309487250425.jpg
94KB, 803x688px
>>51944083
>sheeple
>>
Wew /bgg/ is reaching new levels of autism today.
>>
>>51943660
I spent my $500 on actual games.
>>
>>51944142
Pretty sure we've been invaded by reddit/boardgame geeks userbase's latley who can finally speak their mind without loosing their precious reddit karma or geek gold or whatever the fuck
>>
File: r20943872045524.png (863KB, 1205x904px) Image search: [Google]
r20943872045524.png
863KB, 1205x904px
>>51944148
>i have $500, honest!
>still caring this much what people think of you on an anonymous web site
>>
>>51944142
Really? You think this competes with that night this thread was taken over by Santorini shills who felt the need to justify their shitty $50 waste of money to us by never shutting the fuck up about it for the entire duration of the thread?
>>
>>51943908
>Sometimes no matter how much you bait the double swipe so it leaves itself open, that Rajang just decides to keep spinballing the shit out of you.
Because it learned your pattern and is countering exactly the same way you did. Low level monsters don't seem to learn because their moveset are limited but anything above Lagiacrus/Rathian will fuck you up for trying to bait it in a repetitive way.
>>
>>51943718
I haven't played any other COIN game, but as far as I can see they're pretty similar. What attracts me to Falling Sky is first of all the period (and a major part of this is that most ancient wargames are about conquest, not keeping what you have).

I'd love to have someone else explain what really differentiates the various COIN games, apart from simply the insurgency in question
>>
>>51943956
Monster Hunter's monsters are a bit more difficult than Soulsborne bosses because despite their execution punishing being much softer, they actually learn your gameplay style and counter it. So you have to either shift gameplay styles, hunt in a diverse team, or try to kill/wound them in a single cycle so they don't have the chance to adapt.
>>
>>51944164
Has KDM even actually hit your table or you just fap to the manual?
>>
>>51944138
Hurt ur feelings, euro"gamer"? Oh wait, you cannot into interaction, so go back to your comfy corner to build another samey engine to "victory".
>>
>>51944287
how autistic are you that you imagine another person's masturbatory tendencies while communicating with them on the internet?

but yes of course i play the game, that's why the fuck i bought it
>>
File: download (1).jpg (12KB, 225x224px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
12KB, 225x224px
>>51942748
How many players?

1-2 players you should definitely get the LCG (be prepared to fall in love with it and get subsequently wallet dicked by the ffg jew, youve only got about 10 playthroughs max with just the core and even then youll want to buy another core for deck building)

Anything 3 and over get eldritch horror.

Eldritch horror is still fun at 2 though.

Good luck finding either for msrp
>>
File: r24308957202.png (28KB, 225x200px) Image search: [Google]
r24308957202.png
28KB, 225x200px
>>51944298
im not the euro gamer guy i just think you're a faggot
>>
>>51944298
>Euros
>no interaction

Check out the retard over here. Yup, unless you're punching someone in the face you're not interacting with them.
>>
most unique games? this is super open ended so take that as you will.
>>
>>51944368
Millennium blades
Flick em up
One night ultimate werewolf
Cash n guns
Shadow hunters is kind of unique?
Cosmic encounter
And many more...
>>
>>51944368
don't break the ice
>>
>>51944368
Every single eurogame is soooo unique.
>>
>>51944191

I dunno, most monsters seem pretty baitable. Guys like Nargacuga can basically be played like a fiddle most of the time.

Course, that does make the monsters that are less baitable feel a lot harsher.
>>
>>51944384
Great answers, thanks
>>
>>51944384

Man, I wish my friends weren't a bunch of faggots so I could get Millennium Blades. But I don't wanna buy a game I know I won't be a ble to get to the table.
>>
>>51944384
>One night ultimate werewolf
>Cosmic encounter
>unique
WTF?
>>
>>51944580
One night ultimate had no games like it preceeding it (no werewolf doesnt count your fuck) and cosmic is unique in that there is still no other game really like it in regards to SPACE STRATEGY GAME WITH 50 UNIQUE ROLES
>>
>>51944585
>cosmic is unique
It's called Munchkin
>>
>>51944368
Galaxy Trucker and Star Wars: Rebellion are 2 in my collection I think stand out as really damn unique. You could put words on them like tile layer and war game, but it doesn't do the general execution of those things much justice.
>>
File: 1488200122344.jpg (128KB, 1363x895px) Image search: [Google]
1488200122344.jpg
128KB, 1363x895px
>>51944629
>It's a cosmic encounter is munchkin episode

You understand CE came first and has actual inherent strategies to it right?
>>
>>51944629
"Take That" is a part of a lot of games, but it's a vague way to say 2 games are the same, especially when Cosmic has quite a bit going on beyond that while Munchkin is almost entirely Take That based.
>>
>>51944191
>>51944234
That's actually the first time I've heard of this, neat. Any video of it in action? Regardless, not sure how you can translate this into cardboard, but it'd be a shame not to. A deck shuffle is probably the closest, but any tighter an adaptation would probably prove too clunky. Plus the vidya has the advantage of the adapting happening behind the scenes for the surprise factor too, no getting that from a board game without an app.
>>
File: r2348905205982.png (81KB, 400x397px) Image search: [Google]
r2348905205982.png
81KB, 400x397px
>>51944646
>he fell for the CE is a good game meme
>>
>>51944764
It is good. Because it's fun to play
>>
>>51944777
>fun

You buzzword spewing faggot
>>
File: 1428830820143.png (298KB, 2271x2380px) Image search: [Google]
1428830820143.png
298KB, 2271x2380px
>tfw High Frontier is coming.
>>
>>51944777
>fun to play
Like all euro"games", right?
>>
>>51944793
>>51944799
>Being high enough on the autistic spectrum where having fun is seen as a bad thing to you
Why the fuck do you even fucking play games then? Because it's a """"sport""""? Fuck off back to /v/

What kind of sad little man do you have to be where you can't have fun with a game
>>
File: r2349085720458.png (377KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
r2349085720458.png
377KB, 657x527px
>>51944777
>>
>>51944817
what kind of sad little man do you have to be to have fun playing the piece of shit that is cosmic encounter? my heart genuinely breaks for the people around you as they are forced to come into contact with someone who has neither standards nor self respect on a consistent basis
>>
Post your most hated things about hobby, tg.
1. Coop "games".
2. Dexterity and party"games".
3. Shitstarter.
4. """Good""" """classics""" like risk, diplomcy, chess, catan, dominion etc.
5. Fucking SJW-attention-whores.
>>
>>51944832
>How fucking dare you have fun! I hope no one has fun with you!
Sounds like you just hate cosmic encounter cause you can't win at it anon. Maybe because you're shit at arguing a point.
>>
>>51944817
>back to /v/

oh you're that guy in like every bgg that thinks it's super cool to tell people to go to different boards. I'm now positive that interacting with you is pointless and your opinion and taste in games is absolute shit based on your past record
>>
>>51944853
>Waaah how dare you say I'm a whiney shitter

>>51944837
What's wring with dexterity or party games desu
>>
>>51944832
Ahem, there are still Kemet-fanboi and Santorini-shills around, ok?
>>
>it's a the /bgg/ bunch get mad that someone has fun episode
>>
File: r234098725904832.jpg (54KB, 465x576px) Image search: [Google]
r234098725904832.jpg
54KB, 465x576px
>>51944852
>trying this hard to defend your shit taste
it's painfully obvious that you are quite aware of your inability to identify a piss poor game and that's fine. I'm sure you and your "gaming" group have lots of fun playing fluxx and catan, and that's all well and good but don't come to forums where people want to discuss quality board games unless you're willing to lurk for a little while and learn a little bit before posting.
but welcome to the hobby, newfriend!
>>
>>51944863
>wring
Well, they suck and beloved by bgg sheeple.
>>
File: r3204987520385.jpg (111KB, 740x740px) Image search: [Google]
r3204987520385.jpg
111KB, 740x740px
>>51944777
>being reminded that there are people alive right now who defend games like cosmic encounter
>>
>>51944880
Never even played fluxx or catan so not really sure what the fuck you're talking about but sure let's discuss the latest and greatest kickshitter boardgames reddit and bgg are parroting about or have another thread where we cry about shut up and sitdown and the sjw boogeymen. Cosmic encounter might not be for everyone but it would be nice if you didn't have a shitfit and scream everytime someone mentioned it.

Especially considering shitloads of people on leddit and bgg hold your same shitty opinion. Bet you hate wiz war too faggot

>>51944881
Don't really understand anon, so you're saying you don't like them because someone else likes them?
>>
File: stillface.jpg (22KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
stillface.jpg
22KB, 500x375px
>>51944863
>calling other people names
>barely literate
>>
>>51944777
Back to tumbler, fag.
>>
>>51944881
>bbg sheeple

>not a far superior community then anything else out there.

i bet you only look at the people that rate games instead of the forums.
>>
>>51944914
To intellgant to spel
>>
>>51944909
Holy shit, how can this even exist?
>>
File: r23480975209485729.png (31KB, 720x644px) Image search: [Google]
r23480975209485729.png
31KB, 720x644px
>>51944909
>trying this hard to defend an objectively poorly designed game
>never played fluxx or cation
ah, so you're still just getting into stuff deeper than monopoly and checkers. great! i love seeing people new to the hobby coming here. i just want to remind you again that you should lurk for a while before posting because you clearly are not educated enough in the space to give your opinions. feel free to ask questions, but leave the real discussion to people who actually know what they're talking about.
Welcome to the hobby, sport!
>>
>>51944920
SJW-cuck spotted.
>>
File: oogabooga.png (196KB, 640x715px) Image search: [Google]
oogabooga.png
196KB, 640x715px
>>51944909
>someone over eighteen actually typed this
>>
>>51944936
>Frogposter
>Thinks I haven't been in these threads for longer than him
It's only become cool to hate cosmic encounter recently anon, but of course you wouldn't know that if your only exposure to the game is what you've read online.

Would just be nice if you could accept that people like different things like an adult but then again you're probably sitting behind your scream shouting "I did it mommy! Totally trolled that cuck XD"
>>
>>51944909
>being this dedicated to CE
wow is that really what you people have become? you're so sick of ks modelfuckery that you've reverted to shilling shit games just to get people away the ks stuff?
>>
>>51944959
I'm dedicated to curbstomping you bgg fucks that keep crawling in here
>>
File: r23094852049857209.png (13KB, 640x712px) Image search: [Google]
r23094852049857209.png
13KB, 640x712px
>>51944953
Hey there, can't help but notice you're pretty new to /tg/ based on some of the comments you've made. Welcome! This thread is for the discussion of board games. Not the type it's clear you've played before, though. See here we generally focus on what some people call "designer games". These games are generally more in-depth than the games you're used to. I'd recommend you lurk for a while and get a feel for the kinds of games that we like to discuss here. Until then, please keep your uneducated opinions to yourself. You will soon come to realize that some of the games you enjoy are quite poorly designed, and you will be exposed to some truly spectacular games along the way!

Welcome the hobby, champ!

P.S.
Don't feel intimidated. In no time you'll be discussing true works of gaming art with the rest of us!
>>
>>51944953
>recently

Get out you fucking newfag

>people like different things
People like eating turds and voting liberal but that doesn't mean they're not fucked in the head.
>>
File: r329048572089452905.jpg (90KB, 594x549px) Image search: [Google]
r329048572089452905.jpg
90KB, 594x549px
>>51944969
>he assumes everyone who disagrees is from another board or another site
>>
>>51944969
>curbstomping
are you an edgy tween or just a tryhard faggot?
>>
>>51944995
Stop posting anytime memeposter

>>51945001
True. Pretty sure that's a bit different to playing a boardgame you don't like though. Eating a turd is unhealthy and dangerous.

>>51945008
Makes them even angrier so it's fun to do trumpposter
>>
>>51945020
>he just calls people "poster"
So it is true, then. Autistic people really do crave repetitive action. No wonder he likes uninteresting and uninspired games.
>>
>>51945033
Why can't we just be friends regardless of the games we like anon

What's your favourite game out of interest
>>
File: r34829057238952.png (8KB, 509x619px) Image search: [Google]
r34829057238952.png
8KB, 509x619px
>>51945020
>he actually analyzed the concept of eating a turd
>>
>>51945033
>repetitive action
>uninteresting and uninspired games
How can you say that about "intellectual sport"?
>>
>>51944718
You gotta experience it firsthand. Try mounting a Tigrex more than once and watch it slap you the fuck out of mid-air. Or get rolled into a wall repeatedly by R. Ludroth for repeatedly using the LS side-sweep in the same direction. And let's not even talk about Deviljho.
>>
>>51944646
Do you actually like CE or are you just the kind of person who likes to shill bad games and watch people rage?
>>
>>51945045
are you implying that cosmic encounter is a euro game?
>>
>>51944026
I used to have fun being here. Since about 2-3 months I wonder why I bother.
>>
>>51945057
I think it's flawed but ((((fun))))
Not for everyone sure but nothing is for everyone
>>
>>51945040
We can be friends but don't tell people Cosmic Encounter is a quality game. This might cause them to believe you, which could cause them to buy it, which could cause the publisher to publish similar games rather than quality games. Your taste in games is shit and that is fine but keep it to yourself.

And of course I'm not gonna tell you what games I like because you will autistically sit here and shitpost about whatever game I name for hours.
>>
>>51944081
Most sports are multiplayer solitaire. All of track & field or swimming is just autists beating personal highscores, and those are quintessential classical sports since antiquity.

This is basically you: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/395840/chess-just-two-player-solitaire-game

Also, Splendor is actually one of the most solitaire euros. (This is why it's popular.)

Almost every other boardgame has more conflict than Splendor.

Basically: play more and better games, you faggot.
>>
>>51944152
>>51944083
If you hate boardgames so much then why are you posting in the one single lonely boardgame thread when you already have the rest of 4chan to discuss manchild hobbies and toys?
>>
>>51944083
Kubb.
>>
>>51945080
He asked for unique games anon. Not quality ones. And yeah I'll shitpost but that's fine because surley it won't hold water if you have such good taste.

>>51945084
Splendor has a shitload of indirect action in the form of reserving cards and the gem supply being limited.
>>
>>51945106
>he now backpedals and admits the game isn't good
>he now admits all he wants to do is shit up the thread
I knew I was getting rused. No way someone would actively believe something like Cosmic Encounter was a good game.
>>
>>51945121
I never said it was good. I said it was fun. It's a flawed game sure but it's fun. Just like wiz war is flawed but fun or most games from that period of time
>>
>>51945139
>>51944777
Sure thing there, tiger. Don't worry, after a few more weeks of lurking you'll get a feel for the types of mechanics that make a quality game. Until then I would highly recommend not spewing any of your ill-conceived opinions as they will only make people ignore you in the future.

Happy gaming, and welcome to your brand new hobby!
>>
>>51945106
>Splendor has a shitload of indirect action in the form of reserving cards and the gem supply being limited.
Yes, but almost every other euro game has more.

E.g., Agricola or RftG where you don't even have to anticipate anything, you can just go and directly wreck the other guy's engine.
>>
>>51945160
>Spend half an hour trying to tell you that a game can be flawed but fun.
>You can't take on board this idea because every game ever made has to have """quality"""" mechanics
Anon we could go all day because it's just a clash of opinions. I guess it comes down entirley to why you play games. I play games to have fun, maybe you dont I guess
>>
>>51945170
>admits he just wanted to shill an objectively bad game
>admits he just wants to shitpost
>a few posts later he tries to come off as a reasonable person
lmfao. between your taste in games and your personality no wonder you choose to put so much energy into shitposting and misleading people with better live. miser loves company, right pal?
>>
>>51945195
Aren't you the one being miserable and saying people can't like certain games if their reason is "fun" desu.
Isn't that how all this started anon

It's because you can't win at CE isn't it anon
>>
>>51945210
No one wins when you force CE down their throats. Just stop, for your groups sake.
>>
>>51945317
Alright then anon. Just was reccomending it as a unique game. He didn't have to buy it
>>
>>51945337
Fuck you, it's not even unique. You could recommend Hasbro shit more unique and fun than that.
>>
File: Exodus Proxima Centauri.jpg (472KB, 1181x1181px) Image search: [Google]
Exodus Proxima Centauri.jpg
472KB, 1181x1181px
How balanced is this?

Read the rulebook and thinking of picking it up (just the base game).

I have Eclipse and quite like it but the lack of player interaction stops it from really shining. The political stuff and high-mobility of Exodus looks like it'll solve that problem, though the dicey combat and "landing maneuvers" is discouraging. Though the fact research is non-exclusive and that upgrades can be swapped around for free seems like conflicts will be less one-sided than they can be in Eclipse.

What I'd really love in a 4X is what Mare Nostrum does with a fun economy, balanced combat and lots of player negotiation throughout.
>>
And to think these threads used to be some of the most civil on /tg/. I'm out till the faggots leave, gl everyone.
>>
>>51945055
Tigrex mounting seems to be the easiest to test, I'll try it out, thanks.
>>
Do you think rising sun will be any good? How was blood rage for those that played it?
>>
>>51945388
>>51945337
Hey, i'm the guy who asked for unique games. It's really sad seeing all this poppycock n such. Anyways, if it helps at all, i already have cosmic encounter and i think that its ok, not amazing or anything. I will say though that pretty much everybody who's played it with me enjoyed it. None of them are gamers, but still, I think that qualifies it as fun. The issue is that this shit isn't objective, its both fun and not fun depending on your point of reference or whatever.

I know i didn't need to say any of that and im basically fueling the fire lol but on the offchance that this whole back and forth between u guys is even remotely serious, figure someone needed to say that...

Ok so, here's the question: What's a unique game?

>>51945388
you especially should respond here since you're trying to invalidate other anon's answer.
Also
>>You could recommend Hasbro shit more unique and fun than that.
>>
For that anon who insists only Euros are good, where's my Euro colossal Twilight Imperium 3 space opera epic I can get lost in all day with hundreds of choices and choose trade or battle as a means of achieving my goals, depending on what they are?

I'll wait.
>>
>>51944718
>That's actually the first time I've heard of this, neat.
That would be because that anon is full of shit. Monster Hunter is a great game, but that anon is just making shit up because he got curbstomped at high rank and needed a rationalization for it. The AI is nothing but pretty standard attack routine patterns played out in randomized fashion based on where you are relative to the monster

t. someone with over 1000 hours in various monster hunter games.
>>
Reminder that Fury of Dracula, Battlestar Galactica, Twilight Imperium, Dead of Winter, Sid Meier's Civilization, Survive: Escape from Atlantis, and basically the entire deckbuilding genre are Ameritrash and therefore """"""""bad"""""""" games.

Stop having fun wrong.
>>
>bgg - autists, apologists and Monster Hunter.
>>
>>51945063
>Since about 2-3 months I wonder why I bother.
This. Nothing but a bunch of fucking idiots here who think every game they don't like is objectively bad.

It's one thing to not like something, but it's another thing entirely to make autistic shitposts like this >>51945080 . And then when that becomes the culture of the whole general? Pure cancer.
>>
>>51945749
>randomized
That's where you're wrong. You either never play solo or just don't pay attention.
>>
>>51945782
>autistic shitposts like
Sorry anon, pointing out the obvious when it comes to turd games isn't an autistic shitpost.
>>
>>51945808
see
>>51945731
>>51945776
>>
>>51945803
You need to provide a source for your claim anon. Because it's complete horseshit.
>>
>>51945671
Cosmic encounter """shill""" here
A unique game to me is just something that offers a twist or original idea, rather than it having clear inspirations unique games will usually offer a "unique" twist

Take onuw or one night werwwolf for example. Before either of them came there had been no werewolf style deduction game that took place in a single round. They offer an incredibly different experience to the usual style of WW/MAFIA game
>>
>>51945782
>Nothing but a bunch of fucking idiots here who think every game they don't like is objectively bad.

>shill up and shoot down had WACKAY FUN playing this kickscammer plastic pusher ((legacy experience)), stop oppressing me
>>
>>51945808
Nope. Calling a game objectively bad and berating anyone who brings it up because you don't like it is autistic shitposting and you deserve to be called out for it.

You don't like it. We get it. Now stop acting like you have the god given right to determine what everyone else's opinion should be. It just makes you look like a fucking child.
>>
>>51945808
Waaah waah I'm not autistic but please don't say you like that game or I'll get angry
>>
>>51945828
>>51945839
I don't feel like following this long, stringy turd all the way to its source. What game are we talking about?
>>
>>51945848
Stemmed from anon getting mad because someone even dare thought of mentioning cosmic encounter
>>
>>51945855
>the game that invented player powers doesn't warrant mention
Even if one hates playing the game, it did something awesome for the medium, that's since been incorporated in Eurogame and Ameritrash alike.
>>
>>51945848
I don't give a shit about the game. I care about the behavior, and the behavior is pure cancer. This is the shit that kills communities, right here. If we can't discuss anything except pre-approved topics without having autistic manchildren sperging out then conversation ends and I'm tired of watching it happen.
>>
>>51945865
I was just idly curious, anon.
>>
>>51945803

They aren't fully random, but they also don't really "learn" either, has always been my experience as someone who has basically never played MonHun multi since Unite. They just seem to have a sort of inner flowchart to pick valid moves, with some randomness thrown in so they don't get *too* predictable (and also do the ocassional thoroughly stupid thing, like spamming three straight tailspins against a dude with a bowgun just out of tail range).
>>
>>51945731
If you want a game because you seek escapism then boardgames are the wrong genre. Seriously, find something else, because you're not going to have a lot of """fun""" here.
>>
To everyone discussing the Monster Hunter game possibilities, I'm the anon earlier that had ideas on an asymmetrical card game.

My idea to keep it not-as-random to avoid just gettng BTFO by monsters was to have the monster's next attack visible before it happened, so you as the hunter can plan accordingly. So maybe you can use some attack cards to deal damage, but you leave yourself open for that attack you see coming. Or maybe you save some cards for defense/dodging knowing there'll be an attack later with an easier opening. The cards would be dual use, so if you choose to use them offesively, you'll be weak defensively as a result.
>>
>>51945893
Except that I do have fun apparently wrong with TI3.
>>
>>51945871
Apologies, anon, but my point remains. The game being discussed is inconsequential, it's the manner of discussion which is the problem.
>>
>>51945896
How about this:

Monster plays two cards at the end of its turn. One is face up and happens first, the other is face down and happens second. Hunter takes their turn. Then monster resolves its two cards and plays another two.

This makes the monster somewhat predictable, but not entirely. The hunter still has to stay on their toes and figure out what the second attack is. The monster 'feels' more powerful than the hunter due to attacking twice in the same time frame, and the hunter 'feels' more agile than the monster due to being able to make decisions on the fly and not ahead of time.
>>
>>51945865
> 4chan
> community
>>
>>51945863
Being the first to push something out the door doesn't count for jack if it's wrapped up in a turd.
>>
>>51945901
Looking for an escapist experience in a boardgame is like asking for a comicbook to have elaborate prose.

Fine by me if that makes you happy, but it's best that you just accept that you're in the wrong place and probably won't get what you want.
>>
>>51945920

Well you know how monsters can get exhausted?

I would have stamina tokens for the monster player, and they each action costs stamina, but perhaps some attacks let them spend more stamina to play another attack. And when a monster runs low on stamina they either need to use some weaker attacks or spend turns recovering the points.
>>
File: Exodus - Edge of Extinction.png (225KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
Exodus - Edge of Extinction.png
225KB, 500x400px
>>51945421
If you are interested in Exodus, then I'd strongly suggest that you want to get the Edge of Extinction expansion with it that adds a good bit of uniqueness to the various factions and fleshes out the base game.
>>
>>51945957
Then what the hell are you meant to play boardgames for?
>>
>>51945957
There's more than one form of escapism, anon. The only requisite element is escaping from the real world -- you don't have to escape into a fully formed, fully fleshed out alternate world, you just have to escape at all.

Minesweeper could be a form of escapism for someone if they play it obsessively with the intent of focusing on it to shut out the rest of the world. For a more common example, drugs and alcohol get used by many people for escapist reasons. I don't at all see why it's obvious that board games couldn't fulfill this role as well. If you go to board game night with the goal of playing games to get your mind off of the real world then yeah, that's escapism.
>>
>>51945978
Boardgaming is a hobby that's at least 3000 years old. It hasn't changed much in millenia: boardgames are played to win, to show off intellectual skills and sometimes competitively. (For rank and/or money.)

We're in a kind of 'Cambrian explosion' of boardgaming right now, so there's lots of newbs, fellow travelers and just plain stupid people who join out of fashion and are confused about where they are and what they're doing. (E.g., as evidenced by Kickstarter games that are 90% miniatures, memes and waifu shit.)
>>
>>51946003
Like I said, boardgaming is at least 3000 years old. Just because it's fashionable now and you joined the bandwagon doesn't mean it changed much.
>>
>>51946034
>Boardgames are played to win
Ah yes. I totally agree with you

Not you fucking loser, boardgames are played for fun. Not escapist fun but fun. Some do this through escapism, some do it through competitism or are you seriously going to tell me liars dice is an incredibly powerful competetive game
>>
File: 6478.jpg (374KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
6478.jpg
374KB, 1920x1080px
In the middle of designing a board game. Get ready...

Name me technologies and weapons you'd expect to see in a game about spacehips fighting. Go!
>>
File: fsdfds34343.jpg (246KB, 721x480px) Image search: [Google]
fsdfds34343.jpg
246KB, 721x480px
I've never played Ticket to Ride but I want to.

I want one of the Germany maps but The Dice Tower has pretty much sold me on Zug um Zug: Deutschland over Ticket to Ride: Märklin but most of my gaming group only speak English. Now if it's simple this could be another level of fun I think. I'm learning German and want to learn the map better too.

Most of my boardgames come with multiple language rules. Would Zug um Zug be playable to English speakers or should I just Märklin it up.
>>
>>51946046
Anon you seriously cannot tell me that people playing dice in taverns a thousand years ago were doing it to "show off intellectual skills".

Board games are a subset of games. Games exist as a way to mimic reality in some form. Our brains have the circuitry necessary to understand games as result of how we learn as a species. This shit is older than we are as a species -- go read some Piaget if you want to learn more.

>boardgames are played to win
Juvenile rats will play games of wrestling with each other. If one rat is about 10% physically larger than the other rat then that is typically large enough to win every single game of wrestling. However, unless the larger rat lets the smaller rat win at least 30% of the time, what researchers have found repeatedly is that the smaller rat won't play with the larger rat. The smaller rat won't invite him to play.

The optimal move isn't to play to win, the optimal move is to play to win the set of all board games -- and that involves playing in a manner as to get your ass invited to every future game. It's food for thought, at least.
>>
>>51946075
lazers
>>
>>51946075
lasers
ballistic weapons
atom/neutron bombs
missiles
plasma weapons and beam/partical weapons in general
anti-matter weapons
RKKV
jump drive
energy shields
nanobots
hacking
wormhole generator

Pretty sure that covers all the bases.
>>
>>51944764
>>51944793
>>51944832
>>51944837
>>51944880
>>51944905
>>51944959
>>51945057
>>51945080

Holy shit faggot, I know bgg is usually pretty autistic but this is a new level. Youre like that sperg in middle school who takes the ps2 super fucking seriously and literally shit your pants in rage in the hallway anytime you heard a couple of friends talking about playung mario kart.

I know your type, I see you at LGS sitting alone with your obscure euro while staring angrily at the group of 5 having a blast playing eldritch horror or avalon.

You are being an elitist piece of shit (based on a logically compromised foundation might I add) about FUCKING GAMES. Things that were created to entertain and distract. I get maybe acting like this over film or literature, but fucking board games. Comsic is a fun, well designed game that has been along, and will be around longer, than whatever games you are getting pegged by the high horse by
>>
>>51944837
> Disappearing games.
Each time a game appears that I like I internally think "will it go OOP"? Do I buy it now or will I have to pay with an arm and a leg to have it
> Lack of diversity
Not the SJW kind. This is probably subjective but I mean there's really a dearth of team vs team games, games with a lot of customization, games with campaign modes, proper 4x games, war games in a fantasy setting

Yes I know there are some great games in each of those genres but compare that to what gets produced.
> Mini quality
Board game minis mostly look ugly, also I can't understand why they don't come in prepainted.
>>
>>51946089
This guy! I fuckin love this guy! Great way to put it. I stealth throw games all the time, especially when im teaching a game. I dont find nearly as much joy winning a game as I do having a memorable experience going through the game with the people I am playing with.

And i mostly play euros.
>>
File: homo_ludens1938.jpg (36KB, 367x562px) Image search: [Google]
homo_ludens1938.jpg
36KB, 367x562px
Btw anybody here read Homo Ludens?
>>
>>51946123
gravity weapons
tractor beam
teleportation
exotic matter
exotic reactors and energy collecting
using space debris and rocks as projectiles
>>
>>51946034
>Boardgaming is a hobby that's at least 3000 years old. It hasn't changed much in millenia: boardgames are played to win, to show off intellectual skills and sometimes competitively. (For rank and/or money.)

Ah! Now your 'Epic Levels' of butt-hurt make sense. You use board gaming in a failed attempt to compensate for your social and/or physical short comings. Any view-point that contradicts that is obviously a challenge to the size of your 'e-penis' and must be crushed at all costs!

Bravo Anon! Way to shit up the thread (and your pants). Are you listening to Slip Knot right now? Or perhaps...

<Que music>
> Despite all my RAGE! I am still just a fa/tg/uy in a social cage...
>>
>>51946351
>> Despite all my RAGE! I am still just a fa/tg/uy in a social cage...
The fuck's wrong with the Smashing Pumpkins?
>>
>>51946351
Anon, you probably replied to the wrong post, cause what you wrote has no relation to what you quoted.
>>
>>51946388
He's saying that the other anon plays games to compensate for the fact he excels at nothing else.
>>
>>51946351
Like I said, boardgaming is a hobby at least 3000 years old and changed very little in that time.

Are you saying that all those people throughout history played boardgames to compensate for small penises?
>>
The autist who kept going on about how Euros are games for smart people reminds me of MTG sperglords who puts their entire self worth in winning a game of children's card game.
>>
>>51944837
SJW shit would probably be my #1
>>
File: d74.jpg (42KB, 542x535px) Image search: [Google]
d74.jpg
42KB, 542x535px
>>51946034
>there's an objectively right kind of boardgame and an objectively wrong kind
Factually incorrect.
>>
>>51946075
http://enderverse.wikia.com/wiki/Molecular_Disruption_Device
>>
Any thoughtson DOOM Boardgame (2016)? Worth the price?
>>
>>51946693
Nobody ever wrote the word 'objectively', you tard. (Well, except for the Cosmic Encounter sperg.)

But like I said, boardgaming has at least 3000 years of tradition. People made boardgames before they learned to write and read.

You're pissing against the wind if you're trying to push back against those 3000 years of tradition.

Here's one of the oldest boardgames recorded by archeology: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liubo

And here's some ancient Chinese autist sperging in true 4chan style:

> The ancient Greater Bo used six sticks, whereas Lesser Bo used two dice. Nowadays there is no-one who knows how to play, but in those days when it was played it used one die and twelve game pieces. It had very little skill, and was not worth playing.

Ameritrash BTFO.
>>
>>51946857
>You're pissing against the wind if you're trying to push back against those 3000 years of tradition.
Man, I'm just trying to play games I like. Some are Euro and some are Ameritrash. I'm not trying to have a significant effect on the direction that board games as a whole take. The industry has gotten big enough to support damn near anybody's favorite kinds of game.
>>
>>51946767
I have it and certainly the price is justified by the quality of what's in the box.

I'm fairly new to coop games but both my groups have enjoyed it so far. Certainly it seems a fun experience for the marines but there's very little depth involved.

Approach demons. Empty your weapons into them. End turn. Once in a while you can glory kill them.

In that sense it's extremely thematic and exactly like the game. So 10/10 for vidya to table porting but as a boardgame alone it does make me really yearn for just a little bit more cooperation or strategy.

So far I've only played as the Demons and frankly I haven't had all that much fun. That said I've been playing wrong and i know it. The rulebook although very good otherwise is extremely vague and uninformative for the demon player. The first time i played I didn't use a hand of cards at all because the rulebook seems to fail to mention you have one (i'm not ashamed to come across so stupid because honestly I've poured through the books trying to find this detail). Without getting rid of your cards like they're radioactive in return for Argent energy (that gives your dudes special attacks) the demon player will get absolutely curb stomped.

It depends on what mission you do too. The early missions in each campaign are very easy for the marines and with less than 4 players it becomes extremely imbalanced in the marines favour. Personally i would be loathe to play this with any less than maximum players unless I was just playing DM for some kids to have fun.

Honestly I've enjoyed sleeving and sorting the contents of the game much more than actually playing but I'm depressed currently so that problem doesn't count for much. I'll be playing again on Friday night and one of my players is keen to try the Invader so I might post again on how much more fun it is from the other side.
>>
>>51946857
>claims that all games for 3000 years are only played to show skill
>cites a source for a game where it explicitly says there was no skill in that game
wew lad
shitposting at its finest
>>
>>51946910
Wew lad, you must be illiterate.

I cited a source that agreed with the other spergs in this thread -- that dice and luck games are trash and that you should be ashamed for playing them. Incidentally, the two spergs are spaced 1500 years apart but agree with each other almost verbatim.

This is what boardgaming is about, if this makes you salty then find another hobby where the community isn't prejudiced against """"fun"""".
>>
File: sdfsdg34.png (2MB, 1151x718px) Image search: [Google]
sdfsdg34.png
2MB, 1151x718px
>>51946898
as an addendum to this.

It's difficult to judge the game because of the nature of the source material. Ignoring the theme I'd want the game to be pretty in favour of the demons so the 4 marines have a real struggle and challenge on their hands to get through each mission. Truth be told though that's not what Doom 4s like tho and the lethality of Doomguy comes across in the game.

One certain Pro is people are keen to play this with me. Even though I'm actually the only one to have actually played Doom. So hopefully with more games and moving toward the later tougher levels with stronger demons we'll find our feet with it.

I have high hopes that it will get fucking excellent if we can push through the balance issue. So I don't want to rate it yet but if you have a large group who will play it regularly with you then I do reccomend it anyway.

If you want a boardgame you might play once in a while with an uncertain amount of players look for something else.
>>
Never thought I'd miss the days of 404: Minifig Not Found, or when it'd take 4-5 days to get a thread to the bump limit, but damn guys what is with all the shitposting/baiting in the last couple weeks?
>>
Party games.
I recently came to the understanding that my group is mostly casual.

They really enjoy party games the most, and since I don't have that many party games and they tend to get repetitive real quick, I hope you guys can help out.

The games I currently have are:
Secret Hitler
Resistance Avalon
King of Tokyo
Codenames

I thought of Spyfall or Cash & Guns, but I was also hoping for something a little less cutthroat since we have enough of that and something more along the likes of Codenames.

Hope I wrote it clear.
>>
thoughts on Mansions of Madness?
Thinking of buying it to play with my group.
>>
>>51947328
It would kinda depend how many you're playing with, but Dixit is very chill, and Telestrations (get the party deluxe edition) is generally good. Say Anything is one of my go-to for party but the Dice Tower guys just said the other day it was out of print, so dunno. Codenames is definitely a winner though, but I prefer pictures.
>>
>>51947394
New edition with the app is almost like a standalone Lovecraft RPG boxed and ready to go. Avoiding pulling the trigger on it til I see them follow through on more missions built into the app without a paywall. Will say the music/effects that the app does really do add thematic value, it's why Elder Sign for me is a better app than physical game right now.
>>
>>51947446
I don't own a copy but my friend does. Personally, I think having music from the Internet is much better but to each his own.

For me having user-made scenarios for the app would make much sense. As it is, yeah you'll have to pay through the nose for each new content.

Am I the only one that wishes for MoM: Scooby Doo edition?
>>
>>51947525
Yeah there's a petition to FFG to open it up for a fan-made tool/uploader, I'd bet bored nerds make better scenarios than they do. And yes please someone figure out that C'thulu is overdone and rip the theme off your game and replace it with a Scoob license. Wait no, that'd prolly go to Cryptozoic, we don't want that
>>
>>51947089
Your source proves the exact opposite of your claim. You make the claim that board games are played to show skill and intelligence, and then you cite an example of people playing a game that has no skill in it. Therefore, if people have always, and still continue to this day, to play board games which don't involve skill, then that can't be what they're about. They must be about something larger which includes both skill and no-skill games.

I'm sorry you're so retarded that everyone, even yourself, blows you the fuck out, but I'm afraid that's the case. Better luck next time.
>>
>>51935218
Maybe it is the rulebook. I played it at gencon last year, and really liked it. It feels a lot like monsterpocalypse, but scaled down a bit. I'm really excited to see how 2v2 matches play.
>>
>>51947841
A really good team gamemode would be a significant plus for me.
>>
>>51947659
Seek help, autism spectrum disorders are no joke.

If you fail to correctly understand a simple three-sentence paragraph then there is obviously a problem.
>>
>>51947395
>>51947328
Im actually debating between Millions of Dollars, SpyFall, Cash & Guns.

They all seem light enough to be fun and quick but not get tired to quickly.
>>
File: r389710824525.jpg (9KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
r389710824525.jpg
9KB, 225x225px
>>51946170
>taking the time to defend shit games hours after the conversation is over
>calling someone else autistic
>>
>>51948027
SpyFall probably for me is the easiest to get played, and is great for a party game, because you don't play to a certain number of points, you just play til you're bored with it and move on. That said Ca$h n Gun$ is the more fun choice for me, I dunno if it's because there's more game there, or because I prefer bluffing to social deduction, or if it's just the foam guns. Prolly the foam guns, and getting to tell family members "I am going to murder you right now if you don't step back".
>>
>>51945865
This "community" was built off not having to parrot the popular thing to say, so fuck off shill with that fuckin attitude you censoring piece of shit. Cosmic Encounter is hot garbage and deserves this. If someone recommends it, you can guarantee I'll going to be there to make sure people don't get fooled by your bullshit and know it's another fuckin Munchkin king maker that has maybe 5 minutes of fun in a 2+ hour game that boils down to "is it your turn and were a sufficient amount of guys before you fucked over enough to let you be the winner today".

If I can't trust this "community" to tell it like it is then I might as well just visit reddit or boardgamegeek because I want a place where people can feel safe trusting opinions around here. None of this recommending complete garbage with no dissenting opinions because you feel like it's "fun" and can't even be bothered to mention one fuckin reason why.
>>
>>51948079
ok
>>
>>51946898
>>51947116
I've bought this game but haven't been able to get it to the table, what makes it imbalanced in favor of the marines?
>>
>>51948079
>then I might as well just visit reddit or boardgamegeek
Please do. Take your cancerous ass out of here. You aren't fucking welcome here. If you can't handle people bringing up a game you don't like like an adult then you will be called out on being the autistic manchild you are. If you can't handle that, then there's the door. You're welcome to use it.
>>
>>51948207
Reddit is the place for your god damn hugbox. If you can't take it that multiple people here don't like your game then your need to leave. You haven't said a single positive thing about the game even, you just instantly started crying that people were mean to you. If you can't take it that people don't like what you like, then friendo, you need to find a new place.
>>
I went to sleep and apparently we had an autistic meltdown last night. Don't worry, I'm ordering something from Fantasy Flight right now to feed the cancerous Ameritrash machine which is destroying the once proud traditions of board games.
>>
>>51946898
>The first time i played I didn't use a hand of cards at all because the rulebook seems to fail to mention you have one (i'm not ashamed to come across so stupid because honestly I've poured through the books trying to find this detail)
The shitty FFG rulebook strikes again. I categorically will not buy FFG games until they go back to the one rulebook format again. I should not have to constantly cross-reference rules that aren't in logical order between two rulebooks in order to get the entire picture. That's just awful and I want nothing to do with it. If they really want to go with the two rulebook format then they should copy GMT's format, where one book contains the entire ruleset in a completely dry, logical format, and the other book contains the playbook which walks the player through their first game. Not this bullshit where they've got the playbook and half the game rules and all the pretty pictures in one rulebook and then the other half the game rules in the other rulebook and you have to have both memorized to play the game.
>>
>>51948257
>You haven't said a single positive thing about the game even
An astute observation, anon! Do you know why I haven't said anything about the game? It's because I'm not defending it! I think Cosmic Encounter is a shit game too! The difference is, unlike you I know that that's an OPINION and when I voice I voice it as such. You, on the other hand, never understood the difference between a fact and an opinion and continue to act like a cancerous shitposter and need to get the fuck off of this board if you can't act like an adult.
>>
>>51948288
Right? Seems like it's worse lately, I remember when I'd go to sleep and worry the thread would die from lack of posting. Who do we talk to so we can get back the relaxed /bgg/ where STEEV went all poetic on TI3, and TI3Chick went full autism on Xia? Or when the biggest shitposting we had was the answer to every question being Summoner Wars?
>>
>>51948349
A major, major part of the problem is that nobody has called them out, and so it has festered. People got into their minds that this was an appropriate way to act, that this was how things went along here. It's not an appropriate way to act, and it's not how things used to go.

It's definitely the shitposters fault for thinking that their opinions are facts and that nobody is allowed to have opinions other than theirs, but it's also the fault of the rest of the thread for putting up with it. We made this bed, and now we have to lie in it.
>>
File: PEPSI2.gif (5MB, 813x399px) Image search: [Google]
PEPSI2.gif
5MB, 813x399px
>>51948349
>Haven't played TI3 in a year
>Friends starting to ask about scheduling a game
>>
>>51948502
>wants shitposting to end
>keeps shitposting about how annoying the shitposting is
good job faggot, add fuel to the fire.

anyway, has anyone checked out the gameplay video of the terminator game thats on ks now? I don't plan on backing it but i do think the whole two boards where one is the past but they interact thing was a cool idea
>>
>>51948523
Sorry to hear that STEEV, a year is far too long to go between plays any favorite game.
>>
>haven't been on /tg/ in a while
>oh sweet a board game general
>"cosmic encounter is just munchkin in space"

what the fuck

that's so unbelievably stupid
>>
>>51948322
You can't make this a place of no negative opinions and thought policing everyone here. All of this is because some sperg can't accept people don't like CE and nothing more. The only thing killing this "community" right now is the thought that anyone who doesn't like the games you do is just bring autistic.
>>
this thread is full of the most elitist, autistic bullshit I have ever seen. that or everyone is just trolling the fuck out of each other 24/7. it's like if the very worst of /v/ was concentrated into a single thread. board games deserve better than this, guys.

my favourite games are Cosmic Encounter, Terra Mystica, Dead of Winter, Lancaster, Citadels, Game of Thrones, Smallworld, Twilight Imperium, The Resistance, Carcassonne, Shadows over Camelot and fuckin Killer Bunnies

how hated am i
>>
>>51948694
>design a "game" that just tells you to negotiate with your friends using plastic pieces
>include races we didn't bother balancing and call it "part of the experience"
>add a bunch of randomness in the card decks so no one differentiate between a bad draw and our shitty design
goys will defend this
>>
>>51948732
I'm glad to see you've realized there is no moral basis for your behavior and are attempting to pivot to regain some moral ground, but there's a world of difference between
>I don't like [game] and here's why
and
>[game] is utter shit, it's hot garbage and you're a shit person if you like it and if you buy it you're actively hurting the industry

If you honestly can't see why the latter is unacceptable juvenile behavior then get the fuck out.
>>
>>51948864

I've always found it really weird that Carcassonne came out of Europe, complete with meeple brand meeples. It's random as fuck, and you can dick people over so easily.
>>
>>51948864
I'll play with ya, though I've only played TM once so can we do that instead of Killer Bunnies?
>>
>>51948864
I very much enjoy Citadels.
>>
>>51948880
>meeple
They weren't even meeples in the beginning, that was a term someone coined after the fact discussing the game on BGG
>>
>>51948864
oh it's that guy who assumes everyone that disagrees is just visiting from another thread again. hi faggot, fuck off and stop encouraging this toxicity

to keep things productive: i hated dead of winter. hated it. but i love battlestar galactica the show and I watched a play through of the board game and it looks like it fixes a lot i dint like about dow, mainly the constant dice rolling. is there a chance id like the bsg game or does hating dead of winter probably mean i should just avoid it? it's not at all expensive for my budget if that matters (id start just buying base game unless someone thinks there's reason to get an expac right off the bat)
>>
>>51948890
to be honest I only like Killer Bunnies because I slowly collected the expansions over 10 years and played with the same group of 8 people. so many cards have become in-jokes and so many strategies and pacts are only done because they've built up over years.

it's pretty much an awful game, but with those guys it's the best thing
>>
>>51948864
Board games and board games culture at this point has become pretty elitist.
>>
>>51948872
>trying to take the moral high ground on an anonymous malaysian bug collecting forum
wew

who in here is currently backing a kickstarter? i haven't seen any that look appealing enough but ill check out any you guys think look good.

not gkr though, nothing about that game appeals to me. i did get excited when i heard who was making it but was instantly disappointed upon doing research
>>
>>51948933
>it's pretty much an awful game, but with those guys it's the best thing
Totally get that, I got Boss Monster at the Gencon it was released without knowing a thing about it, it's not a great game but with the people who first played it with me we still have fun once in a while.
>>
>>51948955
>backing kickstarter
At this point it's pretty much just a glorified preordering business.
>>
>>51948945
no it hasn't. go to a board game meet up and most people can't wait to play party games. you just spend too much time online.

for the record I'm not insulting you, I'm just saying you're focusing on a vocal minority concentrated in one specific medium.
what's your favorite game btw, anon?
>>
File: sdfsdg3422342342.png (346KB, 406x400px) Image search: [Google]
sdfsdg3422342342.png
346KB, 406x400px
>>51948298
It actually comes with 3 rulebooks. One is a tutorial book with a little tutorial mission with cutdown rules.

Other than neglecting the invader player they're not that bad but yea I do agree with you.

>>51947116
The Marines are able to lay down an obscene amount of hurt and without Argent energy for their specials the demons just aren't able to match it. Now again this may well be balanced with a better understanding of how to play the demons hand and with later levels being more generous with what the demons can spawn.

That's with 4/5 players.

In the game I played with two players the lack of marines was balanced with a miniCard that allows marines to take two Main Actions per turn rather than just one. This alone I'm OK with but they also get individual special bonuses. One of which I think is called Close Combat Specialist that allows that marine to choose a dice and put it to any face after he rolls.

As the demon player I found this extremely shit and gay and even the marine players were bemoaning how quick the demons were dropping. I dunno what 1 player gets but BoardGameGeek forums posters claim it's almost impossible for the single marine to lose with most missions.

Now I'll be transparent here: I've played 3 game in the fortnight I've owned the game and two of those were the tutorial mission. So the demons aren't able to use their argent powers in that. The full mission (the 2player one) I played the Argent powers made a BIG difference

So hopefully when I play again on Friday with a later mission most of my complaints will be quashed but right now I would be inclined o never play a less than 5 player game again.
>>
>>51948975
I do agree, but that doesn't mean there aren't occasionally indie developers who need to use it and if anyone has found one id love to at least give it a look
>>
>>51948872
I've brought up nothing but points about why CE is bad. The response is the one lacking any discussion and constantly throwing around name calling like it makes you right. Would you like to discuss CE or do you want to continue derailing this thread into a meta discussion like you've been doing.
>>
>>51948910
I suppose it depends on why you hate Dead of Winter. I hate Dead of Winter too and love Battlestar Galactica, but I suspect it's for different reasons than you. You say you don't like the 'constant dice rolling', and I mean I guess BSG has less dice rolling than DoW but the dice that do get rolled are generally much more meaningful so I would honestly put that down as a wash between the games. My issue is that DoW doesn't capture the traitor element pretty much at all -- even if they're present all they need to do is complete their main quest then act 100% good guy until the last round when they tank the check and get away scot free.

BSG is in my top 10 favorite games while DoW is one of my least favorite, so it's definitely possible, but I would tread somewhat carefully before you dump a bunch of money in.
>>
File: sdfsdg342.png (1MB, 857x747px) Image search: [Google]
sdfsdg342.png
1MB, 857x747px
>>51948116
>>51948994
Meant to quote.
>>
>>51948975
>all those Queen big box "kickstarter" runs
Like they didn't have the capitol to print Escape + expansions in one box.

>>51948997
Used to try and keep up with them via boardgamebreakfast but it seems like neither Suzanne or Nick have taste that matches with mine, and I don't have the time to trawl through the wastes looking for gold. How do people find the good ones?
>>
>>51948982
My favorite is Terra Mystica. Though I do like Kemet, Dominion, Lords of Waterdeep, Dead of Winter, Tales of Arabian Nights too. Recently gotten Inis, but haven't got the opportunity to play it yet. My next certain buy is either Concordia, once it gets reprinted, or Tyrants of the Underdark.
>>
>>51948864
That's OK! One day the heathens who don't like what your do will go and we can discuss everything in nothing but a positive light!
>>
>>51949044
>How do people find the good ones?
If you've got a BGG account then sub to https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/192002/prelaunched-kickstarter-board-game-projects-date .
>>
>>51949006
I feel ya. My problem with the dice in dow is that they are so impactful and you're rolling them to do anything at all. You can move to a location and die in the process. I can't handle that level of randomness in a game. BSG looked like, from the play through I watched, the dice were mainly used for 1. combat and 2. 5+ rolls, meaning basically coin flips. This doesn't bother me because in the show a lot of stuff was out of their control to an extent so coin flips makes sense and combat without dice generally only works in a system dedicated to combat which this game is not.

Good to hear you hated dow and loved BSG though, really think I might pick this up then. Did you watch and if so did you enjoy the series? Does that help? I have a few friends who also really liked it and play games.
>>
>>51949044
>b-b-b-but i have backed it, i should have bonuses that you can't have
Kickstarter backers can be so entitled at times.
>>
>>51949081
That's a pretty decent link, thanks fampai, have my favorite BGG thread I'm subbed to right now
>https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1471747/build-gaming-table-150
>>
>>51949091
I did watch and enjoy the series, and it does definitely help. The game nails the theme better than the fucking show does, and unlike the show (usually) has a stand-up fist-pumping ending. It's one of those things where the rendition actually captures the essence of the story better than the original because the tension and paranoia is so thick you could cut it with a knife whereas in the show they did a good job of making it seem like that but in hindsight every single cylon model was revealed to be a cylon model within 1 episode of it being introduced, ruining the entire fucking premise.

All told, if you've watched a playthrough of the game and you think you'd enjoy it and you have a group of exactly 5 people who are willing to play a 3 to 4 hour heavy game then go for it man.
>>
File: image.jpg (263KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
263KB, 1280x720px
Are there any fun games with a dinosaur theme?
>>
>>51949104
I kinda wish all these kickstarter games worked like how P500 from GMT works, it'd keep the exclusives/entitled arguments down. Might even slow the hype machine.

>>51949175
Raptor is pretty solid
>>
>>51949175
Raptor!

I love it. Can't get the Raptors to win for shit but I still love it.
>>
>>51949174
Well, fortunately that is the case for me. And the low cost is a plus so I will be grabbing this. Thanks for all your help, anon!
>>
>>51949175
It's not a hard "dinosaur" theme but evolution uses a lot of dinosaur art and is a good game
>>
>>51949175
If kaiju count as dinos, then Rampage/Terror in Meeple City can be a lot of fun. There have been a lot of people who say their boards warped, but Asmodee has actually been on the ball with support/replacements.
>>
Lots of good discussion in the last hour, let's keep it rolling

New thread
>>51949313
>>51949313
>>
>>51948955
I'm currently backing three p500s

But I'm seriously doubting the C&C Epic expansion reprint will ever reach 500.

Really hyped for Pericles though
>>
>>51943766
Most differences are aesthetic - like, for example, Bases and Outposts are now Champions who stay out on the field til they're killed, some having Taunt - this is completely identical to how they work in Star Realms, but in this game they make way more sense, because having a dude in front of you to protect your face is a much better established mechanic in card games.

Balancewise it seems like they rebalanced for more Champions (bases) in the deck and more ways to kill them, since it makes sense that a game trying to fuse Star Realms and Epic/Magic would need more of these guys than a direct space combat game would.

Champions also have "tapping" abilities like in Magic, though the abilities are just slightly better versions of what you'd usually expect from a Base, and tapping them instead of just taking their abilities as granted charges nothing. The a act of tapping them sideways does literally nothing but remind you they've been used this turn.

And it plays 2-4 out of the box instead of needing 2 sets to break the 2p limit.

Otherwise it's mostly identical.

I think it wins for being the most accessible. The 2-4 thing really clinches that I always bring it out of the house instead of Star Realms.
>>
>>51949002
>I've brought up nothing but points about why CE is bad
Only after you got called out on it.

I mean seriously. Let's look at this shit.
>>51944629
>>51944764
>>51944793
>>51944832
>>51944880
>>51944905
>>51944936
>>51944959
>>51945080
>>51945121
>>51945195
>>51945317
>>51945808
Not a single fucking argument as to why CE is bad until here >>51948079 two hours ago, well into the discussion of how cancerous this general had become. (And even then it's a weak-ass argument to boot full of the same rancid shitposting as the rest just one marginal step better.) Just constant fucking assertions about how CE is a shit game and everyone who likes it is an idiot by shitposters such as yourself.

You see this shit? This is the problem. This is unacceptable levels of shitposting.
>>
>>51949357
>perfectly happy with Star Realms free app
>this post
Fuck you now I gotta go looking for Hero Realms at my LGS.
>>
>>51949357
>>51949387
You missed the best improvement Hero Realms brings to the table -- asymmetric starting decks. That shit is boss, especially in a light not-terribly-competitive deckbuilder. Granted you do have to pay extra, but in this case it's totally worth it.
>>
>>51949358
If you can't see why CE is a shitpile at a glance then you should turn in your functioning brain card and fuck off. Ain't no-one got time to waste on those kind of levels of retardism.
>>
Did I walk into /v/?
>>
>>51949436
After you, shitposter.
>>
>>51949191
>>51949216
Oh nice, it isn't too pricey either
>>
>>51949358
>still shitposting complaining about shitposting
fuck off dude, at least offer something at the end of your post.

Anyone here played Stronghold? One of my favorite two player games and I rarely see it mentioned. The rulebook is shit and there are typos on components which obviously is shit but a really good game
>>
>>51949467
0/10
>>
>>51949467
but he's right though. see>>51948871
>>
>>51949482
>fuck off dude, at least offer something at the end of your post.
I keep my on topic, constructive posts separate. There's no reason to cross the streams and contaminate the actual conversation.
>>
>>51949516
ya there is. shitpost, but end it with good convo to keep the flow going. I really think this is the best way to combat bullshit. he can respond to your bullshit if he wants and others can respond with legit opinions. everyone wins
>>
File: Stronghold 2nd Ed 02.jpg (288KB, 1021x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Stronghold 2nd Ed 02.jpg
288KB, 1021x1024px
>>51949482
Hell Yes! I love StrongHold 2nd edition in spite of the issues you mentioned. I picked up the 'BGG' extra characters for it too, but haven't had time to try them out in a game yet to see if they're a 'must have' element.
>>
>>51949535
I suppose that's one way to do it. I've always seen it turn into an obnoxious quote mess when people do that and I like to keep things clean, but sure, maybe.
>>
>>51949692
i see where you're coming from too. i just think if you really want to limit shit give something back if your post may potentially contribute to it. i get the quote argument but i like to add positivity to my potentially retarded posts (because we all make those sometimes)
>>
>>51949595
the good news is there are a ton of resources that correct the idiocy of the misprints in the rules. and ya me and my gf cannot get enough of this game. gets super meta if you play with the same person enough and is a super thematic game with no random elements (other than attacker drawing units but that is very minor as far as randomness goes imo)
>>
>>51946082

>been off 4chan for a couple of days
>oh cool, there's a new bgg general
>and it has 300+ replies!
>all autistic sperglords shitposting
>>
I've seen that Legendary Marvel game recommended quite a bit and I'm wondering if it's actually worth getting? Is it all the original characters or does it have terrible nuMarvel characters like Ms. Muslim and Captain Dyke?
>>
File: r2349852749028.jpg (135KB, 593x640px) Image search: [Google]
r2349852749028.jpg
135KB, 593x640px
>>51949840
>he ignored all the good responses then shitposted himself
>>
>>51949749
>the good news is there are a ton of resources that correct the idiocy of the misprints in the rules.

Are you talking BGG or elsewhere? If I've missed something I'd love to snag the other resources. Fixing them makes getting others to play the game that much easier.
>>
>>51949884
I've just googled any questions I've had and always found good answers so I don't have specific sources but you will find answers with a google search as questions come up. Sorry the "google it" answer but it has worked for me literally 100% of the time.
>>
>>51949939
I don't play Stronghold, but I'd be willing to bet that this is fantastic if it is at least half as good as Universal Head's other rules summaries:
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/136035/universal-head-stronghold-second-edition-rules-sum
>>
>>51949979
I have, since playing, figured out the rules but >>51949884
might find your resource helpful. Also the youtube channel "watch it played" spoke to the designer and delivers the correct rules in his video which is very helpful.
>>
>>51950009
>the youtube channel "watch it played"
Rodney and his kids make surprisingly good episodes. Never thought I would unironically enjoy watching a Father play boardgames with his children on the internet.

wish I was him 2bh
>>
>>51950069
ya his channel is actually fantastic and I actually love how he refuses to review and focuses on objectively teaching people to play. Obviously the games they like are the ones that get playthroughs but he really does just teach you the game with no bullshit bias and that is fantastic.
>>
>>51949939
>>51949979
>>51950009
Kick Ass! Thank you Anons! :)
>>
>>51950372
Of course! It's a good game that fucked itself by misprinting necessary info. If you don't let that turn you off (which I know can be hard) you will find a fantastic experience wishing the contents. Godspeed, anon!
>>
>>51950580
*within, not wishing
>>
Any cheapish filler games for four players? Already have coup and splendor
>>
File: image.png (618KB, 623x710px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
618KB, 623x710px
>>51949849
I went ahead and got it as well as the Dark City expansion for 60 bucks. I figure both of the deck building games I own are pvp so it would be nice to get something that was co-op. The only thing that irks me a bit is that they went with Nick Fury's son instead of the real Nick Fury.
>>
>>51950951
Kenjin is pretty fantastic for 4.
Thread posts: 394
Thread images: 54

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.