[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The One Ring

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: oneringrpg2-604x270.jpg (46KB, 604x270px) Image search: [Google]
oneringrpg2-604x270.jpg
46KB, 604x270px
I'm thinking about running The One Ring for some folks over Roll20- does anybody have any good GM advice? Experience playing it? Reading suggestions?
>>
File: Amaleoda.jpg (97KB, 400x529px) Image search: [Google]
Amaleoda.jpg
97KB, 400x529px
No particular advice, as I'm not that much experienced still, but I feel compelled to bump my fav system.
>>
>>51889734
I would love to try it out, but living out in the boonies prevents me from finding anyone to play with
>>
>>51891108
same
>>
The thing about well-designed games is that nobody really wants to talk about them on /tg/ because there are no arguments to be had.

I maintain that one of the reasons that 3e was so popular was because it was so poorly designed that you could only play it if you made up house rules, and everybody knows there's nothing more contentious than discussing house rules.

>>51891108
Well if you decide you'd like to play online, keep your ear out for my roll20 game.
>>
>>51889734

My impression is that you need a fanboy group.

Not in the sense that they need to speak fucking Sindarin, but in the sense that the players should be really satistified to get to know, say, Elrond in person.
>>
>>51891390

This. You can't have a bunch of murderhobo players for this game. To really appreciate the pace and style, they really need to be fans of the milieu.

If they are Tolkien fans though, it doesn't get much better. My group of old-fashioned grognards loves it.
>>
>>51889734
Make sure that they are aware that you will not tolerate fuckers lore policing you. Same with Star Wars.

If you want to go to Rohan and you have a Hobbit in the party don't let someone throw a fit about that throwaway line about one not being around in ages there.
>>
>>51891897

This anon gets it. Listen to them.

I had players interested in it UNTIL they read about shadow points. While looting the dead wasn't their favorite activity, they didn't want it off the table either.
>>
>>51889734
Definitely consider The Darkening of Mirkwood, it's a great campaign book that has a lot of cool ideas for adventures while staying as close to canon as possible.

In it's default setup you play as a Fellowship helping Radagast fight a losing battle against an evil poisoning the Wilderlands in between the Hobbit and LotR trilogy. It really makes your players feel like they're contributing to an untold front of the conflict.
>>
>>51893853
>it's a great campaign book

That it is. I really wanted to run it, especially considering how the PCs levels of success or failure in each section effect the following section.

My players either didn't understand the milieu or didn't want to deal with the assumptions behind the milieu.

There's no neutrality in LOTR. You can't say "I'm doing my shit over here, leave me alone." Even apathy helps Sauron in the long run. You can't opt out and hope someone else will do something.

This is not to say PCs in TOR are all paladins of some sort, but morally ambiguous actions help the Enemy and adversely effect the PC.
>>
>>51889734
Honestly, you really need to make it obvious to your players that no, they are not running down to Mordor and dickpunching Sauron or pissing on Boromir while he passes under a bridge or some shit. I suggest you at least get the other books (Darkening of Mirkwood, Heart of the Wild, etc) in either pdf or physical format but keep the adventures running around, say, Laketown or eastern Rohan. Hell, run a game in western Gondor or the fallen realm of Arnor.

Start the players off with some modification of the starter adventure in the back of the storyteller's book to make it known that they are going to be weak for a long, long time. They aren't going to be inundated with magic gear, well, ever.

Then come up with an enemy (the Dread Orc of Gharfok, Witchqueen of Andrast, etc) that are out of the way but powerful enough that the heroes will be needed eventually.
>>
>>51893841
In my opinion, it helps that there's really not much to loot from the dead anyways. Magic items are rare and orcs don't carry much in the way of useful gear or items.
>>
>>51893853
My copy of Darkening just arrived yesterday. Sat down and read through it in one sitting, it's that good. I cannot wait to play this.

I agree with everyone above that this game would only really work with Legendarium fans. And even then, you'll likely have to resist the "I wanna go to Minas Tirith or the Shire" right away. Stick to Wilderland for most of the campaign and give out trips to the famous places like treats to your players, but don't focus on them for a long period of time.
>>
>>51897003
>In my opinion, it helps that there's really not much to loot from the dead anyways. Magic items are rare and orcs don't carry much in the way of useful gear or items.

That's the incomprehension I'm talking about.

Your choice not to loot the dead isn't because there isn't anything good to loot.

You choice not to loot the dead because such looting it is an EVIL ACT and every EVIL ACT helps the Enemy.

There's a huge difference between "Don't bother, they never have anything worth shit..." and "Don't do that, it will imperil your soul..."
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.