[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best way to practice MTG booster drafts?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: eb5d8da15fc4d4971f968c662d878a1c.jpg (339KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
eb5d8da15fc4d4971f968c662d878a1c.jpg
339KB, 1920x1200px
What helped you improve the most at MTG booster drafts?
>>
memorizing what you're drafting and relative value of the picks + participating in booster drafts
>>
>>51888460
Solid advice. How about practicing booster drafts without paying for MTGO?
>>
>>51888427
Playing and building a cube with people can help you with drafts. It teaches you the importance of certain cards in a draft environment, rather than constructed play.
Follow B.R.E.A.D:
B: Bombs: Threats that will win you the game
R: Removal: Ways to eliminate other peoples bombs and threats
E: Evasion: IF you do not have great bomb creatures to pull from, get the ones that will push damage through
A: Attack: If stuck choosing between a 0/4 or a 4/1, in general get the one with attack power
D: Duds: Everything else. Don't get these cards
>>
>>51889698
Is there a graph showing a good distribution of each letter? Of course you wouldn't always want to take too many bombs out of your picks.
>>
>>51889698
>Playing and building a cube
Is a cube just a fat stack of cards from boosters of the current block?
>>
>>51889729
Depends on what bomb card or cards you draw. Usually, the first card that you should draft should be a credible threat or a really good removal spell. Can't really say that there's a graph, but you usually won't find a lot of bombs in draft b/c other will try to scoop them up.

Other notes about drafts:
-If there is not a theme about 3 or more colors (such as khans of tarkir, shard of alara) then you should usually draft 2 colors with a possible small splash of a third.

-ALWAYS keep you deck to its minimum size, which is 40 cards. DO NOT add more b/c the likely hood of you drawing one of your bombs versus a filler card will be much harder with a deck of cards with less cards.

-Land count should be within 17-19. Depends if you plan on going a very aggressive, low mana curve (use less) or plan on going to the mid-to-late game with bigger creatures (use more).
>>
>>51889765
Cubes are usually built around a set of cards. You can build your own cube of cards from your unused cards from box openings. Most cube are around the range of 360-720 cards. You can go to cubetutor.com and people post up cubes that they build. Cubes can be expensive, but there are pauper cubes (ones only containing commons) and budget cubes as well.
>>
>>51889815
>you usually won't find a lot of bombs in draft b/c other will try to scoop them up.
Hmm. I normally find there are quite a few mana-inefficient common bombs like e.g.: UU5 - 5/6 - "Squid-thing". Obviously It comes down to the context of the current pull, but which of these two scenarios have you found preferable in your pulls:

A.) Prioritize removal picks first (e.g. "destroy target creature", "target player sacrifices a creature"), but bank on mana-inefficient bomb commons which tend to linger in the last few rounds of pulls.

B.) Prioritize 2~3-ish amazing/rare-ish bombs first (e.g. stuff like "Sengir Vampire", "Shivan Dragon") but try to scumble the removal that lingers past those picks.

I'd go with scenario A since removal is scarcer than any other letter in BREAD (scarcer than bomb rares in some sets). Amazing bombs without adequate removal means winning solely requires you to live long enough for your bombs to beat your opponent's bombs. However, if you have amazing removal with sub-par (but still meaty) bombs, you can at least stay alive long enough to get your bombs out (in addition to improving the relative power of your sup-bar bombs).
>>
>>51889858
You could just print proxies (B&W to save money) based on something you find on cubetutor.com and stuff them in sleeves on-top rando cards.
>>
>>51889614
What about going to your LGS for FNM?
>>
>>51890406
Right, my goal is to get in more practice for those since FNM is only once a week.
>>
>>51890405
More detail: I use a photoshop template with guides for each card on a sheet of 8.5"x11" that I print as black and white. The cards are arranged in a grid justified to the top-left corner of the page with no padding between each card (reduces number of times to slice). I paper-clip them together five sheets at a time so that they hold together while I slice them: one paper-clip around each edge of the paper for each card, 3x3 cards for each sheet, 8 paperclips in total.

I slice twice at first to take off the two strips of white padding on my 8.5"x11" (reducing it to just the printed 3x3 card grid). I slice the grid twice for three 3x1 strips, I stuff these strips 3 at time (proxies don't have to be perfectly sliced) and slide them forward with my hand and slice just two more times to separate each card.

With 8 paper clips and six slices, I can make 45 proxies and stuff them in sleeves in 6 minutes total!
>>
>>51890432
Try draft sims, they tend to be pretty good.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.