[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Homeworld lore & setting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 75

File: taiidan.jpg (849KB, 2500x1300px) Image search: [Google]
taiidan.jpg
849KB, 2500x1300px
Recent discussion proved fruitful and enjoyable. Support for the Hiigaaran scum left me very disheartened though, #Riesstiudidnothingwrong glory to Taidaan.
>>
File: Kapella kills the Mothership.jpg (103KB, 800x713px) Image search: [Google]
Kapella kills the Mothership.jpg
103KB, 800x713px
>>51884915
TAIIDAN A SHIT
A SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT
>>
>>51884915

The Taidaan had awesome design, great music themes, but they were a bunch of assholes.

The Emperor is an insane clone, and utterly devoid of empathy. It's literally Persian Nazis in Space. Cooler than Nazis, sure.

But I'll admit, Cata did a good job with them, showing them as desperate ("What can we do? You killed our Emperor. Destroyed our Empire.") but in the end they even helped ya after being shafted by the beast.

Pity HW2 forgot about them in exchange for.... space vikings? Space whatever? Had the Vaygr any, I don't know, character bar "They like missiles and disposable ships"?

And a single thing, has someone ever found the HW2 Guide that had all the backstory they cut from the manual? Never got a pdf.
>>
>>51885672
>space vikings? Space whatever?
They're space [Insert barbarian horde attacking Europe here, e.g. Huns, Mongols]

As for the backstory guide, I don't think there was one?
>>
File: homeworld.gif (669KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
homeworld.gif
669KB, 400x400px
So what would people like to see in Homeworld?
>>
>>51885779
Yeah just two paragraphs detailing who each faction is then it's in the manual before going straight into the gameplay tips.
Considering how much effort was put into the other stories and how the game switches from hard-scifi to fantasy quest in space for the triforce, it's more of a soft reboot than an actual sequel.

If it's any consolation, it means there's not much to ignore if you want to just put in your own lore into your roleplay session.
>>
>>51888678
Flesh out the Turanic raiders and Garden's of Kadesh fleets, build on their lore alongside the remnants of the Taiidan. Keep it hard-sci-fi and have fun.

If we're talking Homeworld 3 then stick to the originals combat and physics mechanics but make it about a small part in the Taiidan civil war or Taiidan vs Vagyr? Make it a war drama rather than a journey and make it damn tough.
>>
File: Pew pew.jpg (74KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Pew pew.jpg
74KB, 1024x768px
>>51888957
Forgot pic.
>>
>>51888957
>hard-sci-fi
Cataclysm wasn't hard at all and it's still praised to hell and back as a Homeworld game
>>
>>51888678
The different races to be more fleshed out, more factions within the races, return the new age religious crap to the background where it belongs.

A few more races.

As for an actual game I think one set during the ancient Taiidan/Higara war would be cool. Especially if it was from the Taiidan perspective.
>>
>>51888678
>Homeworld MMO
>Start in a scout ship and can work your way up to a heavy destroyer
>Motherships are reserved for guilds and expensive as fuck
>Visiting the galaxy
>Landing on planets and exploring/warring
>Multiple factions to choose from
>A full chat client to argue which homeworld was best
>>
>>51888678
A game were I play as some simple asteroid miner/ wreck recycler would be cool. Homeworld managed to be very comfy and personal despite its scale.

>>51888814
>meanwhile, HW1 had something like 60 pages of fluff at the beginning of the manual.
The golden age of cardboard boxes.

I've heard that a lot of HW2 fluff was in the official strategy guide, though.
>>
>>51889287
That would be a pretty cool game.

>>51888678
As for HW3 potential Im not sure. Homeworld 2 had a lot of closure to it. Something big would need to happen. The hyperspace network established at the end of HW2 would need to fall.

As for multiplayer (which is what HW was all about for me) All I really would want is 3 races, and for the game to be a little more "realistic", like bombers could be armed with nukes or something. In HW2 it took way to long to kill capital ships with anything other than your own capital ships, and BCs were wayyyyy to powerful vs destroyers.
>>
>>51889314
So Eve Online: Homeworld Edition?
>>
One thing I really liked about homeworld 1 was the lack of upgrades. You don't have to spend forever and a half on a few hundred upgrades to keep your fleet relevant. Once you're capable of building the ships you're set.
A scout or interceptor at the start of the game is just as useful as it is at the end of it. They're already balanced.

Upgrades worked for Cataclysm. As a mining kiith they started out with equipment inferior to HW1 ships in most respects. Plus there had to be development to fight the beast. That doesn't mean it's not a pain in the ass in multiplayer.
>>
Would anyone here like to see a prequel where you play as the Taiidan Empire in the opening throes of the first great war ? During the time when the Hiigaarans found a hyperspace core and wen't full invasion mode. I think it would give the first games a more sobering grey perspective in the portrayal of the Taiidan rather than "lol evul decadent Empire".

Doesn't hurt that the taidaan are the most aesthetic faction either.
>>
>>51891771
>Third mission of HW1 starts with "Kharak is burning" to punish the Higarans for leaving Kharak
>You are one of the last children of your homeworld, and the captain of a mothership, leader of your people
>Third to last mission of HW3 ends with "Taiidan is burning" to punish the Taiidan for fighting the Higarans
>You are the captain of a mothership, last of the children of your homeworld, Emperor of your people
I can dig it
>>
File: Vagyr.jpg (374KB, 700x887px) Image search: [Google]
Vagyr.jpg
374KB, 700x887px
>>51891771
>>51891771
Honestly I'd rather see a HW2 prequel about the Vagyr and the aftermath of the Higaaran/Taiidan war. Play as Makaan or a lieutenant of Makaan and uniting all the vagyr tribes to set for HW2's surprise assault
>>
>>51885672
I might be wrong, but I think the Taiidan got rolled by the Vaygr, conquered or absorbed into the horde. Vaygr ship designs have a bit of a Taiidan look to them.
>>
>>51885672
Vagyr are literally Space Mongols
>Nomadic tribes
>United by a strong leader, with some religious overtones
>Steamroll one empire (the Jin dynasty) before taking on another empire (the Southern Song dynasty) in a mission to conquer all creation
>Makaan assumes the title Sajuuk-Khar as Temjuin assumed the title Genghis Khan
>Make use of advanced technology combined with superior sized armies to steamroll everyone, strip everything of use, and continue on with the conquest
>>
>>51892157
p. sure that Vaygr have a lot of Turk in them. Their name even reflects the Central Asian Uyghur. And the Mongols weren't overly religion-driven, were they? I don't know an incredible amount about either, since I'm a pleb.
>>
>>51891587
I wouldn't mind upgrades in HW1. Gives a space to, say, to differentiate the boony-ass Frontier Fleets from the elite Imperial Guard. And it opens up rewards like teching up salv corvettes with Ghost Ship hax.
>>
>>51892269
The Khans always had a divine right as their justification for rulership, and claimed the whole world as divinely ordained to be theirs. Their courts were also generally open to all religions, mainly to keep subjects loyal and unafraid of losing their faiths.

I really want a Freelancer/Starlancer style spacesim in Homeworld. You start with a single fighter, and have to pay RUs or whatever currency to book passage on hyperdrive capable ships to cross interstellar distances. Till you can purchase something capable independent travel across the hyperspace routes; still you lack the capability to hold other, ai controlled ships in your modest destroyer. You grow larger, past frigate, destroyer and battleship to acquire a carrier; mining, fighting and trading on a scale exponentially larger than where you started. But you must grow larger, and so you buy or forge a fleet, purchase orbital installations, mines, merchant contracts and letters of marque. Basically single player EVE now that I think about it, but with Homeworld style ships and music
>>
Keeping in mind Shipbreakers was originally planned to be a mmo.
>>
>>51893067
Was it ? I had the feeling it was more a MP focused RTS where you managed your crew in more detail.

Still, when the trailers came out I assembled and ran a game based around the Shipbreaker teaser, it was made like what I expected the game to be at that time.
>>
>>51891998
To play as the Subotai for Makaan? Sounds cool.
>>
>>51889414

There is an "official strategy guide" pdf somewhere? All I can find are expensive paper copies.

Paper, dammit.

>>51891998

Ya know, that design, even if a bit cheesy, is better than "Everyone is a Human White Guy\Gal" that HW2\DoK went for. I'm probably as far away from a SJW as they go, but I'll admit that Space Middle East With Weird Aliens (Dune-like) would have made it a tad more interesting.
>>
>>51896703
Not everyone in DoK was white, the Kapici's Sobani rep was a black woman. It's just nearly the entire crew were S'jet, which are apparently white.

>tfw the other colors were eradicated in the burning of kharak
>>
File: chuckling putin.jpg (20KB, 320x374px) Image search: [Google]
chuckling putin.jpg
20KB, 320x374px
>>51898738
>Warrior kiith represented by a black person
>>
Oh man, I used to be so into Homeworld lore... Writing cheesey teenage fan fiction on the Sierra forums and sort of becoming the recognized expert on one random kiith mentioned only briefly in the manual for hw1

I always wanted a first-person or squad-based game where you played as the space marines that board ships to be captured. Kinda like c&c Renegade but in spaaaace
>>
>Homeworld 2 will never be erased from history so the series can have a clear way to the future
>>
>>51901327
If you remove all the religious undertones of the story, it's literally "Hey, there's a progenitor battleship out there, let's use it to murder this warlord and hey, there's the keys for a intergalactic trade network in the cup holder."
It's not even a full story in itself, only like the first or second act.
>>
>>51899163
You wouldn't still have those cheesy teenage fanfics, perchance?
>>
>Broke: Taidaan empire apologism.
>Woke: Ignoring the sequels and accepting the Taidaan as the canonical exiles.

Kushan empire sounds more menacing, and the Taidaan aesthetic looks more suited to desert nomads who just discovered space travel. The sequels suck, Bite me.
>>
File: taking the bait.png (35KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
taking the bait.png
35KB, 625x626px
>>51903881
>desert nomads who just discovered space travel
But they've had actual civilization for centuries by that point. That's the whole point of the Kushan aesthetic, that their ships are fat and utilitarian to contrast with the animalistic look of the Taiidan.
>>
>>51903905
>Kushani space bananas are utilitarian

No anon, you are the bait.
>>
File: Qwaar-Jet.jpg (52KB, 762x386px) Image search: [Google]
Qwaar-Jet.jpg
52KB, 762x386px
>>51884915
GLORY TO TAIDAAN!!!!!!!

Seriously though if the sight of one or two of these orbiting your world doesnt make you shit yourself i don't know what the fuck is wrong with you.
>>
>>51888678
I would like to see a full retconn/reimagining of HW2 considering how badly it fucked the franchise over.
>>
File: Qwaarjethighdef.png (476KB, 1272x422px) Image search: [Google]
Qwaarjethighdef.png
476KB, 1272x422px
>>51903963
>Not using the high-def version
anon, pls
>>
>>51904025
>Using the version that is a fucking shadow of the true raw power that was the HW1 Qwaar-Jet.

Removing Physics based combat is an unforgivable crime.
>>
>>51903920
>Ignoring Kusha fat whale carrier
>Ignoring "cockpit to one side, gun in the middle" fighters to contrast with Taiidan wasps
>Ignoring simple corvette fan shape to contrast with the Taiidan bigger wasp
>Ignoring Kushan is-this-a-fucking-cargo-boat frigates constrasting with Taiidan space-rhino-with-guns frigate
>Ignoring Kushan 'totally-not-a-Warlock' destroyer contrasting with Taiidan 'imma-put-spines-on-the-top' destroyer
>Ignoring Kushan wide load heavy cruiser contrasting with Taiidan shark-whale heavy cruiser
>>
>>51904050
They kind of recoded it back in about a year or so ago.
>>
I remember vaguely reading about dudes who were basically disavowed pirates who hunted down Taiidan(?) dudes, and were paid for the effort, but I can't remember if it was Homeworld. I'm positive it was, though.

Anyone know what I'm rambling about?
>>
>>51904076
They "readded" formations. They did not add back in Physics based combat. If they DID then frigs would not be made of tissue paper set on fire, and hits would not be based on fucking RNGesus.

>>51903963
>>51904025
Y'know looking at the two i swear the Hi-res model looks shorter somehow.
>>
File: turanic raider.jpg (92KB, 792x594px) Image search: [Google]
turanic raider.jpg
92KB, 792x594px
>>51904091
Turanic Raiders?
>>
>>51888678
Seriously though HW2 left the franchise both in ruins and "solved" as in it would take some kind of horrendous bullshit that utterly destroys suspension of disbelief to make another plot for a HW3 as it stands right now.
The problems left behind by the plot of HW2 go far beyond, "The good guys saved the day and made everything better FOREVER!!!!1111oneXD". As i said in the last thread on this subject, the Eye of Deus Ex Machina literally destroys both gameplay flow and plot flow from a story perspective. Even IF we assume that Karan S'Jet doesn't have sole control over the Gate Network (and thereby soft power across the entire Galaxy), incredibly unlikely due to the fact that the entire time period is called the Age of S'Jet, it still ruins the travels and travails of a fleet of ships across space because you HAVE to use the Gate Network to be an effective military. Using the "normal" Hyperdrives, something which at this point is probably considered a sublight engine due to the superhighway of the Gate Network, in light of the advent of said network means that you will never even be able to properly defend your own territory, much less make advances into enemy territory to try and win the war.

This map of the Homeworld Galaxy in the wake of the Vaygr War and the opening of the Eye of Arran (which as far as my retarded ass can tell is the most accepted one out there), is entirely inaccurate on account of said Eye of Arran giving whomever controls is a titanic military advantage. For example, the Taidaani Imperial Fragment would not exist within 10 years due to being attacked from two entirely different directions. The Higaraans could use said network to give them jump-off points at both the Tandall and Khabbada Gates and obliterate the Taidaani in a massive pincer movement while the Taidaan need to stretch themselves thin trying to defend both their normal western flank and the attack from behind, out of the Galactic Rim.

(Cont.)
>>
>>51904102
Physics based combat?
>>
>>51904490
The guns in homeworld one fired actual projectiles. Rather than calculating hit/miss odds based on arbitrary modafiers, they would aim at the target and fire a physical projectile. This made friendly fire a possibility, and allowed evasion to work more realistically.

HW2 had none of this because it was a shitty game.
>>
>>51904102
>Y'know looking at the two i swear the Hi-res model looks shorter somehow.

The remastered edition has a graphics setting that causes parts in the distance to shrink less than they should, so you can easily identify ships at a distance.

Mucks around with the proportions in a subtle way when you try to look at any one thing at 3/4 angle.
>>
>>51904376
(Cont.)

The Turanic and Vagyr would Also have significant inroads being made into their space due the presence of Gates deep within their territory.

Now all of the fanfiction for the "Dust Wars" era, as i have heard it called, basically completely ignores the effect that these Gates would have upon the Galaxy. For instance trade is dramatically improved and is much safer due to the instantaneous nature of Gate Travel vs Hyperdrive Travel. So the Turanic Pirates really don't have anything to feed upon for their own kingdoms to form around, meaning that you have eliminated them as a potential bad guy in your HW sequel. If the Turanics try to attack the gates or, somehow, the Eye of Arran you can literally dump fleets deep into their backyard and annihilate their industrial base, what little they have. They cannot destroy said Gates, no one can apparently.

A GREAT potential plotline for HW3 that doesn't expose the series to even more ridiculous setting creep (ie, Upping the power level of the setting to ridiculous levels like the jump from HW1 to HW2 just to raise the stakes), would be for the Taidaani to try retaking their Homeworld from both the Vaygr and reassert their power within the Galaxy, maybe during a period of internal conflict within the Higaraan Diamid between say the Sobani and the S'Jet/Nabaal. However, due to the absolute control the Karan apparently wields over Higaraan society means that this is no longer possible.

Another huge fucking misstep that the plot of HW2 made was the retarded death of the Bentusi. The fact that the Bentusi and the Higaraans fought over the Cores before the Exile made for a really good tale, even if the Higaraans getting to keep their Cores because "guilt" was fucking retarded. Now with the Bentusi dead and the Vaygr, Turanics and Taidaani neutered/soon to be dead. the ONLY power remaining within the Galaxy is the Higaraan Empire and by extension Karan S'Jet.
(Cont.)
>>
>>51904376
I get what you're saying and for the most part it's true, if you're seeking a large epic story. You'd have to pull something along the lines of more Precursors arriving from their home galaxy or whoever made Naggarok.

However, there is still room for smaller stories. Keep in mind Cataclysm was literally "a group of miners stumble onto and have to deal with a nightmare from beyond the stars". A situation where throwing massive fleets at the problem is the worst possible thing you can do. You have to scale the stories way back and make them more personal.

But yes, HW2 did have too much of a happy ending (aside from the fact that they literally abandoned the mothership in the middle of fucking nowhere so they could run off with the Precursor battleship (Why did this thing even need 3 long jump cores, it was a flying gun, it couldn't even produce anything)).
>>
>>51904643
(Cont.)
And since Karan has total control over the Gate Network, and is apparently Immortal for all intents and purposes, AND has a dominant role over the Diamid (some-fucking-how magically, fuck HW2 was stupid), it is going to be very hard to unseat the Higaraans from their position of dominance. A good setting for plot to take place in this does not make. Hell if shit like this>>51888814 is all we are going to fucking get for backstory without having to force it out of whomever develops HW3, I'd would honestly prefer it to remain buried so i don't have to learn to HATE HW.

>>51904653
Any story that takes place is going to have to take place before the Vaygr War. And be bound to the previously established lore, most of which is the utterly retard HW2 lore.
>>
All the bullshit in HW2 with the Farjumper cores, the religious symbolisms, everything with the precursors/sajuuk prophecy, the Eye of Aran, and the stupid shit with the T-Mat motherships on the final level and even the backstory on why the Hiigarans were exiled was handled extremely poorly, so much so that I don't think that HW2 should even be considered a HW game.
>>
I FOUND THE HOMEWORLD 2 WORLDBUILDING MANUAL
>>
>>51888678
I wanna see who the fuck owned this ship. It just happened to be traveling over Kharak, an off limits planet under pain of death by the Taidaan Empire, when the Farjumper expelled excess energy and pulled it out of the sky.

Seriously were they smugglers? Where they pirates trying to take advantage of the Exiles' plight? Whom the fuck where they?
>>
>>51905359

I had assumed they were 3rd party representatives from the larger galactic community, checking in to see if the Higs weren't being enslaved or something.
>>
File: 1400103845867.jpg (239KB, 520x638px) Image search: [Google]
1400103845867.jpg
239KB, 520x638px
>>51905322

Glorious, anon
>>
>>51905359
I assumed it was just one of the ancient Hiigaran ships that brought them to Kharakh, and it got fucked up and crashed
>>
>>51905359
It may just be an older model taiidani patrol ship or maybe one of the other races, the core's been doing this shit for a very, very long time.
>>
>>51905322
Noice

>>51905031
There didn't seem to be a great threat either, like in HW1 when Kharak is being consumed by a firestorm, with no signals left, not even beacons
>>
>>51904376
>>51904643
>>51904752
Alright. So using the characters and set pieces given to us, how would you rewrite Homeworld 2?
>>
>>51907879
DUST WARS
U
S
T

W
A
R
S
>>
>>51908153
Considering Dust Wars has different characters and mostly different set pieces, that's not what I asked.
>>
>>51905322
Nice!
Now, who got the Cataclysm and 1 PDFs? I forgot to download them last time they were shown.
>>
>>51909408
Homeworld 1 manual
>>
>>51909408
I got them.
>>
>>51905359
Based on it having cargo inside it, id say they were salvagers who found the remains of Khar-Toba and her sister ships in orbit and started salvaging them, then she got pulled down and now you can see her innards all over the desert.
>>
File: Taiidan Fleet.jpg (161KB, 840x1119px) Image search: [Google]
Taiidan Fleet.jpg
161KB, 840x1119px
>>51909437
>>51909439
Thank you kind anons, have some Homeworld 1 art.
>>
>>51907879
Remove the special hyperspace cores from the setting and just have the Vaygr be a race that found and reverse engineered Progenitor technology which is giving them an edge. Hyperspace tech is revealed to be Progenitor technology that was spread throughout the galaxy in the distant past.

Plot continues as normal, sans the Bentusi getting killed for no reason and the Pride of Hiigara finds Sajuuk which they use to fend the Vaygr off along with their Mothership forcing the Vaygr to retreat. Instead of a galaxy wide portal network Sajuuk's systems contain the coordinates and access codes of a single portal that appears to be linked to another Galaxy.
>>
>>51909778
Also it's revealed that the Progenitors originally came to the galaxy via said portal and that the Bentusi knew about it the whole time but kept it secret. Hints are dropped that the Bentusi were around when the Progenitors still existed and may actually be a remnant of them.

Side missions set after the game involve a Taiidan carrier fleet attacking the remnants of the Vaygr fleet to try and reclaim territory.
>>
File: 1280px-Messier51_sRGB.jpg (197KB, 1280x888px) Image search: [Google]
1280px-Messier51_sRGB.jpg
197KB, 1280x888px
So Homeworld is canonically set in M51a, or the Whirlpool Galaxy. This galaxy is aboutique 23 million light years away from Earth. Since the Galactic maps we've seen look identical to how the Galaxy looks to us right now that would imply that the event of Homeworld are occurring 23 million years ago around the Oligocene or Miocene eras.
>>
>>51909985
So
>A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...
>>
>>51904091

Nein.

Cata manual. You are thinking of the crazy guy who was the only survivor of his kiith, and lost his wife to the Crio pod bombardment. Then he got out and discovered his entire culture was bombed to oblivion, and he was alone as a dog.

He went out declaring blood feud to the Empire and started hunting down former Taiidaan officers.

At least, that's what I think you mean. God, I've read that manual a DECADE ago.
>>
>>51910609
This.
>>
>>51909985
I think they were trying to go for a Star Wars-ish feel like >>51910062 but honestly HW doesn't have anything to do with us at all.
>>
I will check
>>
>>51884915

So, because of the last thread, I got Deserts of Kharak, and I made a complaint that it was a bit too easy.

Then I got onto mission 9, the one where you have to defend the Sakala from enemies, and ouch, got jerked up short a couple of times. I keep losing the friendly carrier, or taking unacceptable losses trying to save it.

Anyone have any tips?
>>
>>51902437
>>51912731
>>
>>51909886
>>51909778
>Removing the Cores.
>Keeping Sajuuk.

NO! Sajuuk existing as an invincible starship is blatant setting creep (and just plain fucking stupid). Just like the Cores are blatant setting creep. Adding in these things removes the tight focus that HW1 had, and it negates the effect that Cata had as well. You need to rewrite the plot as a whole. The only thing you could potentially keep in are the "Cores" but their functions need to be dramatically different. Also due to the plot of DoK we kind of have to deal with the fucking things. (Fuck everything i hate this gay earth.)

Firstly yes they can far jump but there is no stupid fucking prophecy about them. Far Jumping is the only thing that makes Genghis Kh....i mean Maakan a threat to the Inner Rim of the Galaxy. Him being able to jump in a style of warfare reminiscent of Mongol warfare is why he is so stronk.

Secondly, NO SAJUKK OR GATE NETWORK. The idea of old Progenitor Far Jumper cores is salvageable because, at the VERY least, it doesn't end all other plot progression in the setting. These two things do. As i have explained earlier in the thread these two concepts do far more damage and "solving" of the HW setting than anything else introduced into HW2. Maybe you can have the Bentusi take all of the cores and lock them away somewhere after Makaan is defeated so that none may use them ever again.

Thirdly, after this game the focus of the HW franchise can no longer be on the Higaraans. They are no longer the underdogs. They cannot be the underdogs due their immense power and influence over galactic affair. In essence they have take the role that the Taidaani had before the Exiles returned. If the Higaraans are the focus again it should be another sub factions during a time of political strife among the Diamid, or the Sobani/Paktau deciding, "Fuck the Central Government, they are penises." and the events thereof.
>>
>>51912797
Mortars and railguns parked on the ridge.
Also spam them missiles.
>>
>>51913401
I like Sajuuk, though not because its an invincible ship. All HW fluff indicates pretty much everyone worships Sajuuk, which is mysterious, since everyone from the Kiths, Taiidan and the Vagyr think of him as god. I have no idea how you salvage him being a ship that isn't stupid.
>>
For a third game I'd sure like to see history repeating itself:

>Pax Hiigara established
>Hiigarans use far jumpers to bully the galaxy into peace
>Galaxy resents, someone starts a thousand little skirmishes, overwhelming Hiigarans and their capacity to impose a ceasefire with force

Just like the Bentusi pre-HW1
>>
>>51913401
I always thought the idea that the cores were long jump to not make sense considering the rest of your fleet can keep up and random strangers coming to meet your fleet to join or supply or whatever. They had no trouble keeping up. So my idea was that the cores were more like.. an air(space) traffic control system and navigation system, Without it, you're destination will be a little more random. With one, you can jump your fleets and general traffic with precision sand safety. The Tiidani would have had one and the Vayger found one and that's why they can wage war so effectively. This also fits with what the core was doing in DOK, giving nearby ships bad hyperspace directions.
>>
>>51914338
How about call the megalith that is in tons of pieces Sajuuk?
>>
>>51914420
Not sure about the rest, but the jump your fleet aspect was covered as the great cores also allowed you to jump other ships to/with you. That's what the bentusi did when the ancient hiigarans attempted to destroy bentus
>>
>>51914381
the story repeats then, yeah it works with the hiigarans as the bad guys

>karan actually died, hiigara gone full empire
>you gotta command a fleet of many difrent nations/species againts the abusive regime
hiigarans figth you with progenitor derived tech and, as a final boss, sajuuk itself

the game would be all about tactial genius the shit out the enemy
>>
>>51914569
The only decent idea I had was Sajuuk is a giant dyson sphere, with tons of wreckage inside that has to be bypassed through 3D fleet movement, but I couldnt come up a with a good reason to go to Sajuuk. Maybe Makaan goes crazy finding out God is Dead, and commits suicide by engaging the Higaran fleet with just his mothership. Then you race back home to defend Higara from the unleashed Vagyr hordes, and try not to die but you still win the mission if you die, so long as you meet a time limit for other Higaran fleets to arrive
>>
i belive i found a way to unfuck homeworld secuel potential
since the hiigarans pretty much have the galaxy by the balls, have them regress to the ancient hiigaran empire
a bunch of asshole to keep it short
whould be about a rag tag fleet of whatever can be put together from a rebellion and try to bring down the regime
easiest way? destroying sajuuk
so you go looking on the progenitor graveyards for clues, profecies, blueprints, ANYTHING to defeat the god-ship
it would allways be a small fleet (yours) againts a unknow enemy (search missions) or a superior force (hiigaran empire)
i dont know how to give it the mithological/old epic flavor though
>>
>>51914381
The problem with that is the Eye of Arran. Its not JUST singular far jumper fleets you have to worry about anymore. The entirety of the Higaraan Navy now has far jump capabilities, and they can deny those same abilities to everyone else. Literally any of the Gates will have a ridiculous amount of Higaraan/Progenitor ships surrounding it. And those fleets can reinforce each other at a moments notice.

>>51914728
Its incredibly hard to Tactical Genius(TM) the shit out of someone when they move faster than you ever could and at a greater distance than you can reach.
>>
>>51914877
well you can use places like the garden of kadesh and reinfoce it with innhibitors
that will knock down any far jump advantage
>>
>>51914994
The Gate Network is immune to Gravwell Inhibitors. It IS a network of Gates uses a different dimension, at least that's what I've heard, So it bypasses all of that shit. That's what allows for it to be so utterly bullshit when compared to other types of FTL in HW.
>>
>>51915036
there is the justification on early game of the hiigaran empire whould be corrupt and arrogant
so the rebel fleet would have some time to build up forces and teck from the progenitor ruins

plus those naturaly innihbiting phenomenat would be insolated from rest of the galaxy, right?
so they would have to actually jump in a search pattern rather than just straigh over them
>>
>>51915100
I figured the gate network worked like the balcorra gate, and it could shoot you halfway through the galactic core no problem. Nothing anywhere else in the galaxy is gonna interfere with jumping near as much as the galactic core.
>>
>>51915100
Alright so if the Rebels win then what? They take the eye from the Higaraans and become the big bad guy themselves? That's yet another problem with the Eye of Arran, it focuses the entire setting upon the network of Hyperspace Gates, all of the fighting takes place over and around the Gates/Eye, because of the titanic advantages it offers to its controller no sane entity would even attempt to destroy it. I don't know about you but playing the same game over and over again seems awfully boring to me. Its why the Eye/Sajuuk are the utterly unsaveable parts of HW2. Even the Cores allow for much conflict over them as precious game changers, and the Cores allow for a Bentusi style weakness of can't be everywhere at once. The Gate Network + how much horseshit Sajuuk is DON'T!
>>
>>51915218
well, i supose that its not the eye works in a similar manner that the gate of balcora does, a two way bridge
the only far jumper i know its the sajuuk with all cores
>>
>>51914338
>I have no idea how you salvage him being a ship that isn't stupid
easy. Sajuuk was just a particularly notable ship, stories if its power became legends as time went on and no one actually saw it. Eventually the myths morphed it into a god.
>>
>>51916127
Gods, space battleships, same difference. both dwell in the heavens and cast down their wrath upon the nonbelievers.
>>
>>51916127
This.

Making the religion of the various factions a sort of "cargo cult" built around some Progenitor relics that turn out to not have any actual spiritual significance would fix a great deal of the weirdness that HW2's ending had.

In fact, the discovery that Sajuuk is just an abandoned space ship could set things up for instability or break-up of the Hiigaran Empire in a sequel. Like, you could get a schism among the believers where some worship Karan S'jet as a sort of god-empress after she took command of the Sajuuk towards the end of HW2, while others see her as false prophet and hold to a purely metaphysical/esoteric view of their god, while others accept that the ship is Sajuuk but respond to that by losing their religion.

You could have HW3 start some decades after the end of HW2 with fanatics of the esoteric branch of the religion commit an act of terrorism against the Eye of Arran, crippling the hyperspace gate network, which plunges the galaxy into chaos.
>>
>>51916598
>>51916412
>>51916127
I always thought Sajuuk was just the name the Hiigarans and Vaygr put to this fancy progenitor battleship they found. Is there anything that actually says this ship is the Sajuuk of legend? Is "S.S. Sajuuk" painted on the bow somewhere? Why are they naming this flying space gun after their god of "I hope you fucking like sand!"?
>>
>>51916819
thats actually a fair point, sajuuk in mith is a foreg god, he made EVERYTHING in myth

a factory ship or a planetcraker would make more sense
>>
>>51916908
This.
Sajuuk being just a progenitor dreadnought 2.0 seems kind of lame.
>>
>>51913401
HW1 and Cata both had gates, with the ones in the Junkyard and the wormholes in MP.

>>51914338
Sajuuk would have wroked very well as a powerful if outdated ship.
Shitty sensors, OP weaponry but with short range or very innacurate, giant size with mountains of hp but slow and hardly maneuvrable, needs tons of manpower and guzzles fuel like no one.
Something that needs to be part of a fleet and played smartly.
>>
>>51914877
>>51915036
>>51915231

Okay I'll stop interrupting your circlejerk about how bad the Eye Of Arran is and forget the fact that a new studio can just retcon it via "oh it's not actually as powerful as we thought, turns out it isn't actually immune to inhibitors" or some other limitation.

No, much better to shit on everyone's ideas because you'd prefer to throw a temper tantrum
>>
>>51917188
Piling retcons on top on retcons is usually not a good idea, if only because nobody thought the previous one was bad in the first place. And afterwards you have a ton of sources that contradict each other and coherency goes out the windows.
Also Oberon's fallacy.
>>
File: scr00036.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
scr00036.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
I wanna know what happened with these guys
They were completely absent in HW2 and that bothered me.
>>
>>51918055

I mean, why should they be? I always got the impression the Turanics were small time space pirates. Disposable scum to help you knock over a barely defended world.
>>
>>51916959
That's the thing thought, Sajuuk is a progenitor vessel/God-thing. Progenitor tech is light-centuries ahead of anything the younger races can conceive. Its, unfortunately, perfectly represented in HW2 as a ship that can kill anything, probably break planets and be the key for the Gate Network. This is why it doesn't work as a part of the plot in any other capacity than a godhead. When you add Sajuuk into the setting as an actual entity, all of the religious mysticism clashes horrifically with "Oh, our God is a spaceship. WELP!" Not even to mention how OP as fuck Sajuuk is in a military sense.

>>51917188
I'm not shitting on your ideas. Honestly i do kinda like the idea of the Higaraans as the villains due to "POWAH!!!! UNLIMITED POWAH!!!!!!!!!!". Its just, the entire ending of HW2 was so fucking far reaching, and overwhelmingly perfect happy ending forever that it feels like the game makers wanted it to be that way. Like they did the ending to close the book on the HW franchise, whether they were leaving the company or just didn't want to deal with HW anymore. In order for any tale to be told that doesn't just utterly break the setting and destroy all suspension of disbelief, you need to remove the Eye, Sajuuk, and The Cores (although this last one is now enshrined in two different games, fuck everything).

>>51918055
They got pushed out of the Inner Rim during/after the Beast War. Hell the Beast did a number on the Turanics during said war, hastening their flight to the western edge of the Galaxy.
>>
>>51918091
I mean their masters were rekt so bad, and after the events of Cata I wonder why they haven't rebelled yet.
>>
>>51915036
you could maybe go with someone has found and partially translated a description of an early progenator gate prototype. It's not quite as far jumping, or accurate or safe. But it's enough to give them a first strike advantage in places the hiigarans think are safe.

or maybe they just start doing hit an run surprise attacks, just breaking the gates and fleeing instead of trying to take on the garrison and control the gate.
>>
>>51918150
>When you add Sajuuk into the setting as an actual entity, all of the religious mysticism clashes horrifically with "Oh, our God is a spaceship. WELP
yeah it clashes but thats kinda the point and that clash adds something to the setting.
>>
>>51918055
Man that fleet looks comfy. Fucking Playable Turanic campaigns/MP available WHEN!?!?!?!?!?!!
>>
>>51884915
I desperately want a smaller scale game along the lines of the X series or Starsector set in the Homeworld universe, maybe on the outskirts of civilized space during the era of the Taiidan Empire. You know, start with one ship like a corvette and work your way up to commanding a small fleet.

The kind of game where the ships are highly customizable, upgradable, have names, and aren't expendable.
>>
>>51888678
Y'know what i want to see next in the HW franchise? A game called Homeworld: The Forgotten Tales/Stories. It would be based on the many works of Norsehound's Cannon (yes i know im probably giving this guy too much credit BUT he wrote a LOT of rather great stuff on the now defunct Relicnews Forum and he explored quite a few of the more minor stories/the future after HW2 sans the bullshit that is the Gate Network).

It would contain several "mini-Campaigns", 6-8 mission campaign that tell these stories.

A) The Return of Kiith Kadesh: The survivors of the three exploded Needleships in the Great Nebula are brought aboard the Mothership after it is discovered that they are the same people effectively. Using deepscans of the the third needleship the Kadeshi, not really trusted by the other Kiiths after they reconquer Higaraa and the re fracturing of the Higaraan people, they use the time set aside by Kiith Somtaaw to build another Needle ships about 35 years after they were taken from the Nebula. The story would tell of them going back and defeat the Turanic Raiders whom are beginning to harvest the Nebula in earnest. Seriously a new playable faction (Kadeshi), would be amazing.
This would lead neatly into...

B) The Formation of the Kassite Turanic Kingdoms: The first Turanics that return from the Galactic Core are accompanied by Taidaani War criminals/disenfranchised Admirals. It is shown in this map (gods i wish i could find the version where you can read all of the small text, it tells this tale MUCH better than i can) how the Turanic Kingdoms developed after their expulsion from the Galactic Core. The Kassites are based around those Taidaani Admirals using their fleets to carve out Kingdoms of the most northern Turanic Worlds.

This would lead into:

(Cont.)
>>
File: turanic map.jpg (4MB, 3508x4961px) Image search: [Google]
turanic map.jpg
4MB, 3508x4961px
>>51920269
>the version where you can read all of the small text
You mean this one?
>>
>>51920269
(Cont.)
C) The formation of the Northern Turanic Kingdom: Responding to the technology brought the area by the Taidaani conquerors, a Native Turanic Warlord whose name is written upon this map, but i cannot find the readable version. The campaign would tell the tale of this warlord as he conquers many tribes and unites a LARGE fragment of his people into a great raiding kingdom, which is opposed by the Southern Turanic Kingdoms, those whom refuse the authority of this King and his bloodline. And it would also document his defeat of the Kassites that try and conquer his kingdom as the climax of the plot. This would give us another new playable Faction (Turanic), which i also really fucking want.

This would lead into...

D)The foundation of the Osyrian Alliance: The Various Nations of the Osyrian Alliance used to depend upon the Taidaan Empire the protect them from the Vigoth Turanic Tribes. The new guys on the block, the Higaraans are far too busy with rebuilding their Homeworld/fighting off the Imperial Taidaani remnants/the Beast/internal conflicts within the Diamid to help. So in a tale of the desperate allying with the Enemy of their Enemy, the Alliance slowly comes together, with much wailing and gnashing of teeth as old insults and rivalries are set aside to drive back the biggest invasion of Osyrian space by the Vigoth yet. This would give us another playable faction (Osyrian) that would have various sub-factions within it that have similar overall ships, but each have their own differing play style/a few unique ships.

You could even tell the story of how the insane Heithabyr came to be and what that mysterious Stone Ship they worship is, could even be a space horror thing kind like Cata.

(Cont.)
>>
File: The fall of Sajuuk.jpg (70KB, 562x768px) Image search: [Google]
The fall of Sajuuk.jpg
70KB, 562x768px
>>51918150
Different anon here.
Why not re-frame the End Times and the Age of S'Jet as a propaganda piece by the Hiigarans made for the rest of the galaxy to support their claim to rule over the hyperspace gates. Then you could set the stage as a small faction (how about the Raiders, led by some new leader, striving for a nobler cause than piracy?) and have it waiting for some cataclysmic event to ignite conflict in the galaxy once more.
That event could be the shutdown/destruction of the gate system due to the younger races not being able to maintain or recreate the Progenitor technology, leading to a collapse of order in the galaxy and the faith that S'Jet is the chosen one/god. Instead she is revealed instead to be a false prophet (and actually a series of clones as well if you want to explain how she's in all the games) and can die with the gates or be the final boss, reflecting the perversion of initial good people and their intentions by others to suit their own ends. This fall from grace for the Hiigarans and the death of a god would allow more possibilities than the simplistic "good end" we have now, and can lead into a few different outcomes like a new scientific renaissance or the establishment of a stronger council to arbitrate over the galaxy (perhaps with the return of the Bentusi). It all depends on where you'd want to take it, though I feel the themes of redemption, optimism and exploring the unknown that run through the series would also be reflected in the next entry.
>>
>>51920425
I fucking love you so much right now, you dont even know mang.

>>51920528
The last Campaign would take place after the Vaygr War (utterly discounting/fucking ignoring the stupidity of the Eye/Sajuuk) and it would be the war described in Norsehound's Taidaani Civil War. Or you could play the part of the protagonists of that story he never finished as you try and recover relics from before Riesstu I took power after the expulsions of the Exiles and proceeded to suppress traditional Taidaani culture in favor of the more polyglot culture that the Taidaan Empire came to represent. (Seriously if you like HW, you should read Norsehound's stuff, it is REALLY fucking good, for fanfics at least.)
>>
File: scr00034.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
scr00034.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>51920269
>>51920528
>>51920677

>Kiith Kadesh
Nah, everybody seems to dig them because of the shiny clean ships, the multibeam frigs and incredibly faster corvettes but the fact is those people were fucking zealots, convinced that the evil that brought them to that nebula they called sacred would return to them because of the Kushans, and fought to the last man trying to avoid that.

The rest sounds good actually.
>>
>>51920764
didn't read, you're talking about the original game timeline
>>
>>51920551
I actually support this. I mean I honestly believe that it would take a LOT to destroy something that survived the War that destroy the Progenitors and 100000 years of no maintenance/repairs and could JUST restart like that, but that might be the only way to disrupt the BEST FRIENDS FOREVER/SUPER AWESOME FOREVER horseshit we got after HW2 and allow for more setting growth in a healthy way.

>>51920764
Like i said you should read Norsehound's tale of both the creation of the Kadeshi and his telling of the Mothership's travels through the Great Nebula, they are really good reads. But I'm making that assumption based on Norsehound's stuff.
>>
>>51920764
I will also admit that i want more than just two playable factions per game. Seriously i would kill to be able to play Higaraans vs Taidaani vs Vaygr vs Turanics vs Kadeshi vs other minor/major power in the setting.
>>
Just an idea for those who want both cata and hw2 as canon and a hw3 sequel, what if a gate way out past the galactic edge in the eye of arran network was infected by the beast. No biggy until a ship explores through it and gets infected, and immediately turns around and starts spreading back down the network. Karen is forced to sacrifice herself, Sajuuk, and the gate network, causing them all to self destruct to contain the beast. Gets rid of the cores, the gate network, and Sajuuk all in one go, and now leaves a significant area of the galaxy beast infected that you know is gonna be a problem.
>>
>>51920269
>>51920528
>>51920677
Now i wuld be remiss if i say all of this and then proceed to not describe what i'd want out of a HW3. Building off of the Taidaani Civil War plot, maybe a period of 40 years later, the Traditionalist faction manages to defeat the Council of Admirals that ruled over the Taidaani Fragment and then over the course of those intervening years they repel/subsume the Republican remnants and destroy the Vaygr bootlickers and mange to reestablish the Taidaani as a force to be reckoned with in the Galaxy.

In the meantime, after the Higaraan victory in the Vaygr War, the diamid has attempted to establish itself as the supreme ruler of the Galaxy at large, using the neutered Galactic Council as a rubber stamp to enforce their will. At the same time however, the dissaffected factions within the Diamid (ie the Sobani/Paktu) hate the central government for being assholes, and also for being very different in general from the other Kiith (the Sobani being a military order and the Paktu having migrated away from the conflicts in the north of Kharak during the Heresy Wars, thus developing a very different culture) and decided fuck it we are going it alone. Thus Higaraan Civil war while they are trying to maintain galactic hegemony. Sound familiar?

Yes, because the Taidaani now decide to retake both Taidaan from the Vaygr tribes that occupy it and upset the Higaraans careful balance during this troubled time. So now the Taidaani are the Exiles returning to their Homeworld and breaking the Hiagaraan hegemony. I know this may seem like a retelling of HW1 but with the names swapped, but you can easily tell many more stories of how the Vaygr/Turanics also use the chaos to assert themselves vs the Galactic Core or other such tales.
>>
>>51922467
I would only change that so the Taidaini already have their old capital back, and instead the campaign is a straight up war story instead of running away like most of the campaigns. Just building up big-ass fleets and slugging it out to take strategic objectives. Heavy cruisers by the dozen, frigates by the gross and multiple motherships all at once. Nothing really to do with the theme of ones homeworld, but it'd be cool
>>
>>51922024
you don't need to get that drastic. just have them be like Sajuuk, built up in legend.
The real ones are still good but not as amazeballs as the myths said. But thats not found out till after the fact.
>>
>>51904565
If you're talking about NLIPS the original had that too.
>>
>>51914877
>>51918253
Or find an old gate the Bentusi disabled when they wrecked the hiigarans ancestors. Rig it up so that it works like a Stargate destination denial system. You dial up a particular gate and keep yours open preventing other gates from connecting to it.

The trick would be finding a plot device that would stop the Eye from simply overriding the connection. Or worse, back tracking your gate.
>>
>>51924971
mayve in the progenitor graveyards might be some tech for that
a super innhibitor, a masker, anything on those lines
plus it make sense to have those missions
the hiigaran empire would derive tech from sajuuk
the graveyards are the closest thing to untouched and unregistered progenitor tech,
mayve they find a super factoryship a mooncracker cannon for mining ops, an actual station or something on those lines to manage an actual edge
>>
I know bugger all about Homeworld, why were the ancient Hiigarans and Taiidan at war? And why did the Precursors decide to use ships as keys?
>>
>>51928074
the progenitors using dreads and such as keys is not such a bad idea, you get control of the gates AND a very powerfull defensive fleet all in one package, end to an end, the dreads and sajuuk are very longranged weapon platforms
>>
>>51928074
The Higarans and Taidaani were the two big kids on the block after the younger races told the Bentusi where they could stick their morality. So they fought over world and resources rights and such.
>>
File: galaxy[1].jpg (145KB, 1054x1200px) Image search: [Google]
galaxy[1].jpg
145KB, 1054x1200px
>>51918150
In a setting where research teams can discover how to make capital ships and counter the Thing in a matter of weeks, and where progenitor tech has already been fully integrated (with the hyperespace cores), doesn't seem fundamentally different from the rest of the setting, and is operated without any issues, I have difficulties figuring how umpossible it would be for them to advance past the progenitors after a million years.
>>
>>51929438
the somthaaw ships are, and this comes from the manual, repruposed cargo ships, joint ventures from before the beast or rewards for services

as for integrated i think most progenitor tech is more on the low quality copies or the tech itself is bolted into the ship

theres also ingeneering itself, the progenitor ship is plainly massive compared to the mothership, the details of the thing arent that easy to copy or understand, much less comprehend
but i can see some fields getting to that level
sajuuk is a battleship of great resistance and the weapon array needs the stuff of dreams to power up, i bet theres some serious energy and metalurgy to be learnt there
>>
>>51929438
The Mothership science teams used the captured Taidaani Destroyers/Heavy Cruisers to build their own models. The Somtaaw counter the Thing was mostly for gameplay purposes. After all if you could get your entire fleet inflected it would literally be impossible to win in several missions. HW2 Far Jumpers are fucking stupid as is the Eye Sajuuk but i dont think they have the ability to reproduce these things at least.
>>
>>51888678
More factions for one.

Though I'm really not well versed enough in Asian history to even begin suggesting anything besides skin-deep cliches like "A massive enclosed empire you only get a glimpse of before getting escorted out by totally not Chinese".

It doesn't have to be full depicitions of them, simply throwing out glimpses/occassional showings should be enough.
Too bad the most well known Asian cultures are also the most static ones.
>>
>>51929438
never understood how the hiigarans managed to recreate so big an empire from their limited population.
>>
>>51932917
Everyone gets a planet of their own i think.
>>
>>51932917
State sponsored fucking and vassal worlds. The entire southern part of the Higaraan Empire on this map >>51904376 was in the past know as the Domain of Parthia, at least i saw a version of the map were it bore that name. Also you have the Kingdom of Gilead bore in Higaraan blue on said map so i can assume that there are/were other vassal kingdoms that got integrated by the Higaraans.
>>
>>51932917
They just moved in, like the Taiidan before them. Probably doesn't change a thing for the empire except the tax-man's stationary has a new logo
>>
>>51932917
The map you quoted is also from an earlier version of the planned game that is HW2. You can tell because there are three mission described as Trinity on this map. I believe that the game was originally going to about finding the three cores before Makaan did and then going to Balcora. No idea why this was cut in favor of the stupid bits but whatever i guess.
>>
>>51933703
Actually according to the HW2 we got Rietssu I killed everyone on Higaraa that did not manage to flee during the grace period negotiated by the Bentusi. And i believe that most of the Taidaani on Higaraa at the time of Rietssu IV the Second's death fled from the victorious Exiles. which mean they actually got a mostly underpopulated world.
>>
>>51889884
>As for HW3 potential Im not sure. Homeworld 2 had a lot of closure to it. Something big would need to happen. The hyperspace network established at the end of HW2 would need to fall.
they retconned Cata, let's retcon HW2 and make a real sequel
>>
>>51934772
they did not refer to it, so its more in the unknown canonicy
>>
>>51934092
Hiigarans yes, but I think they were referring to the rest of the empire. The guys at the top changing matters very little for the guys at the bottom
>>
>>51904653
>if you're seeking a large epic story
god, please not.
Hw 1 and Cata were good because they were personal, and only escalated by chance. This fucking desire for an "Epic" plot brought us all this chosen one warp core bullshit.
>>
>>51909778
>progenitors
no.
That fucking trope is overused and nonsensical at that.
>>
>>51934928
They're already officially in the setting anon
>>
>>51934772
As I said up thread, keep both. The beast has infected some of the outer gates of the network. Don't have to go as far as karen sacrificing herself, the network, Sajuuk, and therefore the cores to keep it at bay, but I'm sure if there was a risk of beast infection at the other end the network would be a lot less useful. People would only use it if they knew for sure what was at the other end, so mostly civilian trade. Minefields could also play a role military wise. In such a scenario you could even simply and lazily have Karen/Sajuuk dissappear on a search to find a way to defeat the beast. Nobody knows if she's dead, corrupted, or what.

Then the campaign could be picking a faction to play as and you pick and choose mission to undertake on the galactic map to capture gates, planets, precursor wreckage, rich asteroid belts, or whatever. Gates can be a major boon or a curse, linking to trade, far parts of your empire simplifying logistics, enemies, or the beast.
Everyone is trying to expand, explore, exploit, exterminate, and find karen and/or the cure, all with the knowledge that somewhere out there could be the beast, and you'll never know when that civilian trade ship that just hyperspaced in at the edge of your system spells doom for your species.
>>
Simple. The Age of S'Jet doesn't happen yet.

With Sajuuk over Hiigara, rebuilding can happen. The homeworld is safe. But there's tasks that need to be done to bring this new era, and forces will stop it.

You're now Anon Soban, admiral for one of the forces tracking down Vaygr war criminals, and trying to identify where Makaan even found those spiderships. You encounter the T-Mat, who now are without their counter, the Bentusi. They seek to block the reopening of the gates.

With Hiigara's defense still needing Sajuuk and Karen there, you run across half the galaxy fighting them, and remnant Taiidan/Vaygr forces and probably die heroically in the end with your mothership-type command carrier.
>>
>>51936180
>The Age of S'Jet doesn't happen yet.
It shouldn't happen at all. The Age of S'Jet results in the end of plot progression that isn't frankly ridiculous/immersion breaking. I do agree that we should explore the T'Mat in a way that isn't just platforms full of LOAD weapons that you kill with you Godship thing. They would make for a great villain for at least one game. But at the same time, we need to reel back in on the crazy asspulls of the jump from HW1 to HW2.
>>
File: 1421944204569.gif (1MB, 227x136px) Image search: [Google]
1421944204569.gif
1MB, 227x136px
>>51909439
>wrote up a bunch of lore from memory of the Somtaaw for their rules
>realize I was way off base

Well thanks for this, now I have reference material for when I go back and re-write their fluff. Pretty neat too - I find myself missing those in-depth manuals that games used to come with.
>>
>>51936779
We're you off base enough to use the write up for a different kiith?
>>
File: SalvageEverything.jpg (367KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
SalvageEverything.jpg
367KB, 1920x1080px
Why are we worrying about the return of the Beast when there is a clearly more dangerous all assimilating civilization well established in the lore?
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (69KB, 468x372px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
69KB, 468x372px
>>51939088
can't assimilate anything if they're all dead

besides, they're not the most dangerous assimilators in the lore anyway (pic related)
>>
>>51939147
This mechanic is unbalanced as all fuck. Im sorry but the Bridge of Sighs and this put together make the rest of the game a cakewalk. That you can easily steal the Taidaani destroyers in mission 6 also breaks the next several encounters.

>>51939088
They probably killed most of the people they made that offer to. That culture is one of extreme Xenophobia and a refusal of ideals that are not theirs.
>>
>>51939088
I always imagined horrible, horrible things happening every time a disabled ship is brought into the mothership doors.

Or in Cataclysm, when the Kuun-lan irradiates everyone to death on that capture cruiser or destroyer externally, then repaints the ship.
>>
>>51939088
>Go to make comment about the Kadeshi.
>Look at picture again and get the context.

Ok i'll admit, ya got me.
>>
File: 1473728304440.jpg (104KB, 502x451px) Image search: [Google]
1473728304440.jpg
104KB, 502x451px
>>51909439
>Kiith Somtaaw lost the most sacred holy sites in all of Kushani history
>Saved only by a miraculous revelation
>Forced for years into subservience to the New Daimad
>Win the right to three new ships that essentially resurrect their ancient shrines
>Lose them, but beat back an ancient horror that terrified even the ancient Bentusi
>Win the respect of all the Kiiths and become sacred warriors once more
I need to play Cata when I get the chance
>>
>>51939553
Yeah Cata is REALLY good. Like i would prefer it to be canon over the garbage fire that was HW2.
>>
Has anyone tried the Cataclysm Remastered 2.0 mod?
Is it worth checking out?
>>
>>51939553
Cataclysm is my favorite Homeworld.

It may not be as epic as the original, but its atmosphere is just as good, and the improved gameplay is a big boon.

The dialogue is fucking fantastic too, especially anytime the Bentusi are involved. It really sold them as an almost relatable, but entirely alien culture.
>>
Cataclysm is basically everyone's favorite homeworld. Each mission was interesting, had novel units and gameplay--- a menacing atmosphere. A colorful universe without mystic trash and a real underdog story that you could feel.

The way they did the storytelling with standard 'mostly deadpan' homeworld characters was great. After the battle, no kiith recognizes your small contribution. You're constantly told to keep your head down, or to wait for help. Then finally, you start becoming badasses before even shouting down the Bentusi.

Kiith Somtaaw is awesome.
>>
>>51939813
>>51939853
Thats the thing though. HW2 made the mistake of trying to not only be as EPIC!!!!!!1111111oneXD as HW1 was BUT it also tried to top it. That's why we got the Cores, Sajuuk, And The Gates as well as all of the space mysticism and space prophecy garbage. This is why i wanna see HW: The Forgotten Stories as opposed to HW3 being "OMFG THE BEAST IS EVERYWHERE!!!" or "OMFG DUH EBOL PROGENTIORS ARE INVADING EVERYTHING!!!" The nice focus of HW1's plotline and the smaller Scope of Cata's plotline where very nice and didn't just blow everything out of proportion and make the conflicts you were fighting in horribly out of scope and scale, as opposed to HW2 where everything was a part of some super prophecy that dictates the will of events around you.
>>
>>51937869
No, mostly just some small details, but crucial ones nonetheless. I already have all the ships statt'd too, so don't really want to switch Kiths.

Also, Somtaaw best Kith anyways.
>>
>>51940528
That's a funny fucking way to spell Soban anon.
>>
>>51941148
Well, since Somtaaw has been the only Kiith so far to actually display emotion in conversation (Karen S'jet notwithstanding), I have to edge in favor of Somtaaw.
>>
>>51941344
HW2 was a pile of garbage though. You can't Judge the Sobani on that anon. Even Karan's VA did a shit job.
>>
>>51939853
Beastslayers a Best.
>>
>>51939196
Space gypsy simulator is my favorite though.

You could just go full Kushan purist if you really wanted to though.
>>
>>51941703
Its not that im a purist or anything ridiculous like that. Its just being able to capture 100 ships at the Bridge of Sighs is ridiculous. The fact that that is even a thing is unbalanced. Seriously in the original HW1 you could even snag fighter/corvettes that were out of fuel. I know that capturing 100x your fleet cap is funny and all, but that just bothers me after the first time i do it.
>>
>>51941344
Actually, I rather liked the characterizations they did in Deserts of Kharak. You had the relatable S'jet and Sobani on their carrier struggling to advance, the stern and distant Siidiim... and the fanatical, heavy-handed Gaalsien, who were right all along.
>>
>>51942668
In my defense, I didn't get terribly far in DoK. I really need to go back and spend some more time with it.
>>
>>51942710
Gameplay wise I liked it a lot more than Homeworld 2. If I could use it's simpler and less intrusive interface in remastered I would.
>>
>>51942668
>tfw you discover a crash landed Taiidan carrier i the desert
>tfw you salvage a orbital ion cannon and start using it

I started imagining how much added shock all of this would give in original homeworld.
>Gaalsien wall mural that shows an image of Sajuuk casting the Kushan out of Hiigara has Taiidan symbol on it, same symbol is embedded on the ships that are trying to blow up the cryo trays
>The crash landed alien ship you find is identical to the one leading the fleet to cleanse Kharak
>>
>>51893094
In the really early days, Hardware (what turned into DoK: https://twitter.com/HARDWAREtheGame) was going to be a facebook-based MMO browser game. Could have been something really interesting, but I can't say I'm not glad we got DoK instead.
>>
File: 34683543225.jpg (9KB, 229x151px) Image search: [Google]
34683543225.jpg
9KB, 229x151px
So I posted some rules for the Taiidan in BFG last thread. To make them distinct, I had the shield frigates as a faction mechanic.

How do make the Kushan different? The drone frigate, whatever I do with it, isn't going to make up for the fact that their enemies are going to have shields (even the small amount they get is significant).

I know not many actually play BFG, but I figure there's gotta be something lore-based I can spin into a unique faction mechanic.
>>
>>51947210
To copy/past the DFG Frigate, give them Gun Drone charges that grant extra turrets? Or an AoE marker centered on the frigate, that counts as a couple turrets for ordnance entering it.

Good luck for the cloak/grav-well generators, though.
>>
File: 84331463.gif (2MB, 300x221px) Image search: [Google]
84331463.gif
2MB, 300x221px
>>51948036
There were certain things right away I knew wouldn't translate to the tabletop well, and grav gens were among them (also things like the Ore Processor, workers, and other non-com ships). Cloak tech is something I'm still not sure about though. I can think of some ways of implementing it, but it's definitely a work in progress.

In regards to the drone frigate, I like the idea of an AoE turret storm type thing, that's quite clever. To give it greater functionality, I could break from the fluff slightly and have it be transferable to friendly ships, giving a large bonus to their turrets.
>>
>>51947210
>>51948036
>>51948179
Have you considered using a different but similar rule set? I might recommend the DFC ruleset of which you could then modify to suit your needs it might have mechanics which translate better to a Homeworld game?
>>
>>51948179
BFG is not an RTS like HW is though, so yeah you can safely cut the RU gathering aspect if that's the system you are dead set on using. But how can you cut Gravwell generators, they are critical to stopping early game fighter spam.
>>
>>51948789
Heh, I was actually considering using DFC, although I've yet to get a game in personally - no one around here plays, so my Commodore box is just sort of lying around, partially painted.

Shouldn't be hard to convert to DFC though, and in fact it might be kind of fun. Things like Scan and Sig also give me more options to sepcialize each faction. Shit, I had work to get done today, but now I know what I'll be doing.

>>51948802
With how fighters and bombers work in BFG, the gravity generator seemed like complete overkill, and would make strike craft next to useless for any fleet that fights them. They already have some really excellent strike craft the way I have them now, I didn't want to completely neuter their opponents in the bargain. Suppose I could stat one up anyways, if for no other reason than to flesh out the fleet lists.
>>
>>51948893
The Grav Gen was why I suggested DFC mainly, becuase you could make it a rare limited ship which projects a field around the ships its near (like in the actual game) and just either have it completely nullify strike craft in that radius while boost its sig, or make it so it removes tokens sent into the field on like a 3+ or something.
>>
>>51948893
How do Fighters/Bombers work in BFG then? I'll admit ive never played it.
>>
>>51949340
they are deployed as tokens with a speed, and a turn rate, and they move during the ordnance phase of the game, they can also be fired at normally by shlips. Upon contacting a ship they make an attack run or whatever it is that they do and you apply said affects to the ship.
>>
>>51949340
Also, once they hit their target they are removed from play, because they have gone kamikaze or went back to refuel.
Basically act like guided torpedoes.
>>
>>51949911
Hmm that.....well i mean yeah they get a run then need to refuel, which to be honest is far more accurate of HW1 than how HW2 treated fighters. And is much more strategic. And since you can actually spam fighters super early like in the RTS then i could see not needing a gravwell generator for that aspect. HOWEVER, you do forget the other function of gravwells, stopping in battlefield Hyperspace jumps.
>>
>>51949340
>>51950000
Also, one point more - fighter tokens that move onto enemy ordnance (fighters, bombers, torpedoes) automatically remove them (aside from Eldar fighters and space marine thunderhawks, who get saves). So that, combined with how you can shoot at them to remove the token, makes them incredibly fragile. Adding another way to nullify ordnance would, I think, make them way too powerful.

And unfortunately, there aren't any sort of battlefield hyperspace jumps in BFG. You CAN disengage from the battle if you make it to the table edge (or just anywhere you want if you're Necrons because lol), but all that does is deny your opponent a piece of the victory points. The generator could function in a way that denies that, but then it seems like a better way to include that would be some kind of expensive fleet upgrade, not necessarily an actual dedicated model.
>>
File: Moscow.jpg (627KB, 2362x2188px) Image search: [Google]
Moscow.jpg
627KB, 2362x2188px
>>51948893
>no one around here plays, so my Commodore box is just sort of lying around
Make like a salvage corvette and drag a friend back to your house to learn the ways of space fight
>>
File: you got a purty mouth.png (553KB, 703x621px) Image search: [Google]
you got a purty mouth.png
553KB, 703x621px
>>51951911
I don't think forcible kidnapping and re-purposing of their flesh to suit my needs is the best way to make friends, anon.

Doing a demo game in a few weeks at the shop, hopefully it works out
>>
>>51904025
>>51903963

I remember this kid in middleschool had Homeworld 1 and brought in the manual so we could look at it, and I vaguely remeber seeing it on his computer once, but beyond that I don't have much nostalgia for HW.

I prefer the low res version. It somehow looks more "right" to me. Don't know why. Maybe something to do with perceived scale or something.
>>
>>51952599
It looks more "right" because it is supposed to be the setting equivalent of a Star Destroyer from Star Wars/Imperial Battleship from 40k. And yet the Hi-Res version looks like a smaller Frigate level vessel. The fact is it looks like they cut off about 1/4 of the things Length and instead it became fatter/taller. The Low-Res version just feels more menacing because of the lenghts and bulk it feels like it has. Like the Qwaar-Jet is fucking ANGRY in the Low-Res version and in the High-Res version it looks like an old man that has seen better years getting up to try and kick your ass cuz ur on his lawn or something.
>>
File: Taiidan+Corvette[1].jpg (160KB, 797x607px) Image search: [Google]
Taiidan+Corvette[1].jpg
160KB, 797x607px
>>51952599
I think the low-poly count makes you imagine the details, and works great for creating distinctive shapes.
You're not gonna recreate the organic look of the Taiidani ships in a big-scale RTS without a supercomputer.

The first version feels less cartoony to me since my mind fills the blanks. With the hd version, it got shit glued all over it, while not being particularly detailed.
>>
File: Running on fumes here fleet.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Running on fumes here fleet.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
>>51947210
Considering how well 3D printing is these days you could commission a small fleet off someone using the in game models to go with the custom rules. That'd be pretty damn awesome to see on the table.

>>51952599
I also prefer the older models because as this anon >>51952984 said it leaves more to the imagination, but I also think they're not nearly as shiny as the newer ones are, like they've got a layer of grease all over them.
>>
File: The future of models.jpg (241KB, 1024x1261px) Image search: [Google]
The future of models.jpg
241KB, 1024x1261px
>>51954693
I mean if battletech had models that looked this good (excluding the additional detail you get from a higher scale) I'd be pretty keen to jump on board.
>>
>>51954693
I actually bought a Somtaaw Destroyer a while back to go along with the rules. Neat little model, and the guy posted it along with the product pictures, once I got it painted.
https://www.shapeways.com/product/RBB5ALBKL/somtaaw-quot-deacon-quot-destroyer?optionId=43552003

His stuff is pricey though, especially considering the points value they were at in the rules. Fleet would have been...well, a lot of dosh. Could skip on the detail to get it cheaper, but with how blocky the homeworld ships are by default, anything below Frosted Detail is probably unwise.
>>
File: 1452285695267.jpg (491KB, 2048x784px) Image search: [Google]
1452285695267.jpg
491KB, 2048x784px
>>
>>51954925
Well god damn that's awesome. Love me some lego ships.
>>
>Reinstalled original Homeworld a few hours ago
Feels good lads. I wonder if I can get Cataclysm anywhere.
>>
File: sbcc.jpg (548KB, 1320x954px) Image search: [Google]
sbcc.jpg
548KB, 1320x954px
Shibreakers is really good, but I do wish they'd kept the original premise, it was so much more interesting and had a ton of room to grow.
>>
>>51957995
It also wouldn't have continued to prop up retarded HW2 cannon.
>>
File: 1453605888891.jpg (289KB, 1920x1123px) Image search: [Google]
1453605888891.jpg
289KB, 1920x1123px
>>51957995
>>
>>51943646

>tfw just beat the final level of DoK
>tfw the orbital canon is amazingly lame
>tfw all you really needed to do was to throw all your dozen or so battlecruisers and send air support and just crush everything underfoot.

DoK was nice enough, but it was way easy. And I wasn't crazy about how the Gaalsien were some existential threat. I think tonally, the game would be better if you weren't some super-military force sent out in part to distract them from the siege of your capital, and you were just a bunch of scientists sent out to investigate the anomaly and having to deal with some fanatics with improvised crap.

Also, regarding the manual, does anyone know what the deal is supposed to be with those two ridiculously redacted bios?
>>
>>51957995
>Shipbreakers 2: Playing the Vaygr finding their core
>Shipbreakers 3: Millennia later, some random ass salvage crew finds the Pride of Hiigara half buried on some assholeplanet. How the fuck did it get here?
>>
>>51889314
I've always wanted a homeworld MMO that functioned more like the RTS.

Start off with whats a bastard child of the support frigate and resource controller, "ultra light scout carrier" holding about 10 fighters and 4 corvettes, and a couple of resource collectors. Start off mining, a few pirate hunts, though like EVE rather than levelling up discretely you buy licences for new ships, or say can research for random tech drops, clans/kiiths can share research and licences.

Probably throw in anomalies and other stuff to research, that you could possibly sell.

Though i'm unsure what a hard limit for each player's fleet maximum should be. For the most part players would be limited to carriers, though "super carriers" would be like Somtaaw's and more or less the equivilent of EVE's titans

Can spec yourself eventually towards C&C fleet support, battle fleet, pirate hunters, beast hunters(?), scavenging, mining, etc.
>>
File: SW_TIE_FIGHTER.jpg (1MB, 1514x1920px) Image search: [Google]
SW_TIE_FIGHTER.jpg
1MB, 1514x1920px
>>51888678
Tie Fighter, but Homeworld
>>
File: stop_penis_erect_archer.gif (936KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
stop_penis_erect_archer.gif
936KB, 500x281px
>>51959308
>>
>>51958401
Unfortunately it is a game and the plot needs to have tension and conflict come from somewhere. After all if you were just a group of scientists and all the sand dwellers had was Ork tech stuff without Orky magic then it would not be very fun, not in the least because you could just run away to the north and come back later when they moved onto other areas in their Nomadic lifestyle.
>>
>>51959864
Naa, Rachel and her Baserunner team vs the Khaaneph would have been good.
>Big truck outfitted for science and limited manufacturing
>Getting harassed by a kiith of deep desert thieves and murderers no one really believed even existed
>just fucking pop up from under the sand
>Some encounters are too much to deal with and you just have to fucking run
>Pit some local Gaalsian transients (the handfuls that are left) against them with tactical maneuvering
>Steal a mobile manufacturing base midway through
>Random encounter with a pack of crashed ship survivors
>>
>>51960129
Storywise yes it would have, and it would have been more grounded than the Gaalsien being a major threat to the Northern Kiith. Gameplay however says otherwise. Remember HW is a RTS series first and foremost. So you have to base the game on RTS mechanics as opposed to total story driven gameplay.

Look HW: DoK was not a bad game, and it didn't utterly butcher the lore to pieces. Were liberties taken? Very yes, it abides by HW2 canon, which is another several levels of horseshit above it. But it didn't destroy lore that wasn't already ruined on its own.
>>
>>51959038
Hard limit is crew size and paying them. Can man fifteen destroyers with just fifty guys on your payroll
>>
>>51959308
That's just House of the Dying Sun
>>
File: taiidan_interceptor_model.jpg (47KB, 800x535px) Image search: [Google]
taiidan_interceptor_model.jpg
47KB, 800x535px
>>51960687
Can you fly one of these in HotDS?
>>
>>51960258
DoK does give a bit of justification as to why the Kushan could even hold a candle to Taiidani tech: because they HAD galactic standard technology. In the form of dozens of crashed frigate pieces all over, which presumably contained things like the PDAs.

The Gaalsien weren't really an existential threat in the end. They had advanced military tech from the space artifacts, but they got beaten conventionally by the northern forces.

Still, Landcarriers are fucking cool.
>>
File: 1486292237338.jpg (322KB, 1240x1754px) Image search: [Google]
1486292237338.jpg
322KB, 1240x1754px
>>
>>51954801

That... that is the greatest thing I've seen today.

Gimme a good simplified ruleset like X-Wing and I'd probably throw 200 bucks at it. Is that even, ya know, legal?
>>
>>51963335
>Is that even, ya know, legal?

No idea, but his store's been up for quite a while. I figure if it wasn't, someone would have thrown a bitch fit by now.

I want to grab an Archangel at some point, but the price point is throwing me a bit.
>>
>>51961850
Which mission is this one?
>>
Hope you're gonna finish those somtaaw's bfg rules, anon. Taiidani are a lot of fun.

>>51954693
>those markings
So, poland can into space after all?
>>
>>51964762
Not him, but probably the one where you attack the Taidan fleet in mission 5 that devastated Kharak.
>>
>>51960742
The game was built out of the Homeworld 2 Engine originally. If somebody had the tech-savvy, I'm sure the models could be retextured to Taiidan, Higaran or Vagyr in short order.
>>
File: Kiith Somtaaw.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Kiith Somtaaw.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51964797
Well, I can give you what I've got right now, if you like. They could definitely use another mk 1 eyeball looking them over. I haven't finished the fleet allowances, and the Ram Ship and Multi-Beam Frigate could use a second opinion.
>>
>>51889314

nah MMO would be gross for this.

Single player, but the galaxy (or solar system or whatever the boundaries are) is 'open world'. Different factions control different territories, everything runs in real time, even while light years away from where the player's focus is.

Player has some goal and has to visit other factions and areas to mine resources and trade for tech, but is either greatly untrusted or can't trust the neutral factions of the game so can't establish themself. Has clandestine mining, research and espionage stations throughout the sector and is constantly on the move from the enemy which is attempting to eradicate them.

Pretty much the first Homeworld with any walls.
>>
Quick question, Hiigara being the capital of the Taiidani empire comes from HW2, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2AhjhYWDUM
>>
>>51965480
The fact that the Emperor's flagship was parked above it and that it had been surrounded by hyperspace inhibitors would tend to be a pretty good indicator from HW1.
>>
>>51965050
Thanks, I'll look at it.

>>51965560
Cataclysm manual
>When news broke that the Exiles were actively aiding the rebellion, it was the final insult to the Emperor. Riesstiu declared that he would personally command the Taidani High Guard fleet in their crusade against the interlopers. The final battle took place high above the Exile’s ancient Homeworld, Hiigara, and when it was over the Emperor lay dead and his Elite guard fleet was shattered.

On a sidenote, if it wasn't an Imperial ambush, it means the hiigarans genocided or at least exiled an entire world.
>>
>>51965644
Yeah I wondered if Hiigara was kept mostly uninhabited of if the Taiidani had colonized it. Maybe they just allowed the Taiidani to join their society, who knows.
>>
>>51965978
According to Homeworld 2 (and Cataclysm I think) Hiigara and the worlds in a several dozen light year exclusion zone around it were all handed over to the Kushan, and the HW2 backstory manual mentions the Kushan moving into the buildings on Hiigara and expanding the cities, while simultaneously being forced to live alongside the Taiidani who were already there.
>>
>>51964762
Its mission three from HW1, Kharak is on fire in the backgrounds.
>>
>>51966032
I read that most of the Taidaani fled Higaraa after the Emperor's defeat to avoid retribution from the victorious Higaraans.
>>
>>51965050
Get fucking RID of 40k references at all. Homeworld is as far removed from 40k as it gets. It even takes place in a confirmed different galaxy than 40k.
>>
>>51966314
It was designed originally to be played alongside Battlefleet Gothic, in that universe, and was balanced around it. That's why it's there at all.
>>
>>51966332
HW as a setting (except maybe for the Progenitor shit) is nowhere near on par with 40k.
>>
>>51966477
Nope, it's not, which is why I balanced the ships as I did, i.e. against the current fleets in BFG. I figured that since I was using the BFG rules, I should make sure the fleet was playable against the other races. I'll do the same once I get around to fleshing out the HW races for Dropfleet Commander as well.

It's not meant to be a serious thing - just that if you wanted to use HW races in (this case) Battlefleet Gothic, you'd have a workable list. Suspension of disbelief is required, and I'm under no illusions that the power level of the HW folks is anywhere near the batshit that is 40k.
>>
>>51966561

>>51966477 I don't think he gets it. He's proubably sperging because his autism prevents him from appreciating the cool thing you made.
>>
>>51966681
No, I get what he means - he probably thought I had statted the fleets out just to fight against each other, using the BFG ruleset, and I didn't explain clearly enough that they were meant to fit into that universe, not exist separate from it.

I should probably add that in a blurb somewhere in the rules, to avoid confusion in the future.
>>
>>51966259
People probably would have been left behind.
A bunch of Kushan move into a mostly empty apartment building that still have some Taiidan civilians living there. Sounds like a premise for a sitcom.
>>
Do we have hard numbers for HW gear?
ship length, crew capacity, tonnage, ion cannons and mass drivers energy outputs, limitation on omnifactories, hyperespace speed, that sort of thing.
>>
>>51968740

Not complete and when we have them they have been written by non-specialists and so they don't make any sense.

Like, if I remember right, the density of a corvette should be insane or something. If you want hard numbers, Cata's manual should have them.
>>
>>51968740
Manuals have vehicle tonnage, Scaffold is 36 km tall so you can extrapolate the height of the Mothership from that, and the HW1 manual mentions the cannon rounds of a scout having a velocity of mach 30 or something.
>>
>>51968740
We have been given numbers in the past but they have a habit of making no sense whatsoever.
>>
>>51968740

One of the manuals mantis 10km/s for railgun velocities, which is reasonable if a but underpowered considering they're using fusion.
>>
>>51970773
Raillguns are limited by the materials the rails are made out of. They probably won't be practical for space combat because of that. Lasers and missiles would outrange them by a large margin.

coilguns don't have this limitation, but writers don't like using that word because it sounds wimpy.
>>
File: 3QBRerS.jpg (212KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
3QBRerS.jpg
212KB, 1920x1200px
>>51970973

Agreed, but there are difficulties in getting strong enough magnetic fields out of coilguns to make them practical with current (pun) science.

Google Children of a Dead Earth. Hard-Sci simulation game about space combat. After lasers and missiles, rail and coil guns serve as point defense or secondary batteries.

Conventional cannons a shit btw. Worthless
>>
>Playing Remastered multiplayer
>Kushan or Tiidani verus Vagyr or Hiigarans is lol overpowered.
>>
Does anyone know when (if ever) you can get Ion cannon technology if you don't buy it from the Bentusi in the first game?
>>
>>51975547
Who's overpowered, HW2 or HW1?
>>
>>51975592
You get it the instant you salvage an ion frigate and retire it.
>>
>>51975632
the HW1 ships.
For starters, the cap ships don't have subsystems to take out. Their carriers hold significantly more fighters/corvettes and can launch them faster, the ships generally move faster as well. There's also the obvious, salvage corvettes and grav well generators and have a higher build cap on their capital ships. There's also less shit to upgrade in research.
>>
>>51975922
Yeah, the HW1 ships are balanced against each other like the HW2 ships are balanced against each other. Doing a mismatch is hilariously one sided.
>>
>>51975936
Another reason why HW:RM is garbage.
>>
File: 1486375695931.png (3MB, 2000x6000px) Image search: [Google]
1486375695931.png
3MB, 2000x6000px
Which faction had the best ship design?
>>
>>51978180

I liked the Turanic Raiders. Ion Array Frigates, Assault Carriers and Missile Corvettes are all dope as hell. They've got this gritty industrial art aesthetic to them, functional and mechanical but with a subtle hint of aesthetics underneath, very similar to the Battlestar Galactica Remake.
>>
File: HW_GOTY.jpg (65KB, 531x640px) Image search: [Google]
HW_GOTY.jpg
65KB, 531x640px
>>51978180
Taiidan. They manage to make bright red & yellow look good.
>>
Redpill me on the Hiigara
>>
>>51978180
The Vagyr. I love the sleek, predatory aesthetic they have going on.
>>
>>51978180
Vagyr all the way.
Their ships look like fucking sharks.
>>
>>51979013

I played Taiidan for that very reason.

It confused me for a bit years later reading about "how evil the Taiidan were" when to me they were the victims.

I wasn't aware that the sequel had made the Kushan's the canon player race of the original game.
>>
>>51980193
All of the promotional material, as well as the cover of the game case, presented the Kushan as the canon choice. I put this down to the fact that the Taiidan Mothership looks like ass.
>>
File: 20160612113030_1.jpg (121KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
20160612113030_1.jpg
121KB, 1366x768px
>>51975922

HW1 production vessels also shit out ships faster since they are capable of building on two class queues at once (unless they changed that). Also no one mentioned Defenders? Kinda makes me sad they nerfed Defenders for Remastered, though; in HW1 Classic, they could, in large numbers, fuck up anything that wasn't a Missile Destroyer or a multigun blob, and oftentimes do the job better than a purpose-built wing of attack bombers.

>>51979013

Taiidan. Nice balance between sleek and powerful.
>>
File: homeworld cover.jpg (298KB, 800x537px) Image search: [Google]
homeworld cover.jpg
298KB, 800x537px
>>51980297

Better one fucked ship than one nice ship for me.

Also the 3 in game shots from the back of the case show Taiidan ships.
>>
>>51980455
Nice color scheme.
Being able to choose faction and heraldry was awesome fro a 1998 RTS.
>>
Has there been any other space RTS games with the whole 3D movement thing?
>>
>>51981827
star wolves comes to mind
>>
>>51981827

More 4x than RTS but the first star a ruler had (clunky) 3d movement.
>>
>>51939853
>Cataclysm is basically everyone's favorite homeworld.

I don't know, according to this poll the original is still a bit more popular than Cata.
www surveymonkey com /r/ PQB8K3G
>>
>>51980193
Does the dialogue in the first game change if you choose to play as the Taiidani? I thought the differences were purely visual.
>>
Recently discovered the Raider's retreat cut mission and a download for it.

Is there any way, short of playing the awful remastered, of splicing it into a main campaign and go onto mission 5 from the end of "4.5"?
>>
>>51984404
They swap names. Sometimes they swap the wrong names.
>>
>>51980193
Wait, you can play as the Taiidan? I thought they only let you play as Kushan in the campaign
>>
>>51984731
In the first game from 1999 they didn't have either faction as the "canon" bad guys kinda like WC1 did. You could select the Kushan or the Taidaan as you player faction, so you could experience both factions during the game, since the game also served as the Tutorial for the MP.
>>
I used to jerk off to hentai while listening to this game's soundtrack. Is it good?
>>
>>51985137
YES! Except for HW2.
>>
File: RC_slabcomp02.jpg (976KB, 1400x1025px) Image search: [Google]
RC_slabcomp02.jpg
976KB, 1400x1025px
>>51985137
>>51985648
HW2 isn't -bad-. HW1 and Cataclysm are just so good that they make a 7/10 game seem like a 4/10. The story in HW2 is pretty ass, which you can thank Sierra for. The original story and gameplay was cut way down, for example many of the missions revolved around taking and holding Megaliths, and there were entire units & structures based on this concept. The environment was meant to play a major role in the game a bit more like traditional terrestrial RTS. You see a lot of it in the concept art & mission layouts. That was meant to be the key feature that made HW2 a bigger game than HW1.

I can't confirm, but I also remember reading that the original mission structure followed a parallel path between the Mothership expedition and the 15tH Defense Fleet. The MS missions were more about small-unit-tactics and solving startegic puzzles all the while establishing exposition, while the Defense missions were about controlling the Hiigara home fleet in pitched battles against the Vaygr. Early missions were about defending key points and gathering allies, as later on you would fight alongside allied NPC fleets like the Tobari.
>>
>>51986243
>Sierra is the reason we didn't get more factions.

I hate life sometimes.
>>
File: AK_R2_mo_ship.jpg (567KB, 1423x1211px) Image search: [Google]
AK_R2_mo_ship.jpg
567KB, 1423x1211px
Who would have preferred this or other concept art for the Taiidan Mothership?
>>
File: Taiidan Supercarrier.jpg (78KB, 800x760px) Image search: [Google]
Taiidan Supercarrier.jpg
78KB, 800x760px
>>51988606
>>
>>51988816
That would have been fucking awesome as the Taidaani MS.
>>
File: Homeworld R2 Mothership.jpg (286KB, 1000x743px) Image search: [Google]
Homeworld R2 Mothership.jpg
286KB, 1000x743px
>>51988816
>>
>>
>>51989036
>>
File: trp_carrier_concept_by_talros.jpg (3MB, 2200x1029px) Image search: [Google]
trp_carrier_concept_by_talros.jpg
3MB, 2200x1029px
>>
File: 1481482359657.jpg (272KB, 684x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1481482359657.jpg
272KB, 684x1024px
>>
>>51989045
>>51989036
The scale of the conflicts, and the amount of lives lost in LOGH always astounded me.
>>
>>51991125
I'd say it's one of the only settings to get the scale of a conflict between two interstellar empires right.

In the end, the death toll of battles was only about twice what you'd get in the largest WWI engagements.
>>
>>51991301
Really? I figured a ship that size would have a fair amount of crew, and those things were popping off left and right.

Then again, you're right about WW1 - some of those battles were absolutely retarded in the way they wasted lives.
>>
>>51991548
That was mostly the commanders faults.

>HURR DURR, i know throwing my men at the MGs and enemy trenches didn't work the last 1221345 times but maybe it will work now for REASONS!
>>
>>51991575

But it usually did work. Most trench assaults succeeded. It was just that holding them against the counterattacks was hard, and that was mostly due to communication difficulties in reorganizing after combat compared to uncommitted reserve units.
>>
>>51991575
Yeah, I figured it was the folks in charge, but it's still staggering. Was it Passchendaele where they lost more than 100,000 men for something like a few miles, in a remarkably short amount of time?

>we /his/ now
>>
>>51991755
A /k/ommando died two weeks ago at Passchendaele when he dug up a poison gas shell and was gassed by it while shitposting.
>>
File: Luigi Cadorna.jpg (990KB, 2170x1450px) Image search: [Google]
Luigi Cadorna.jpg
990KB, 2170x1450px
>>51991575
Barring some of the dumber decisions, throwing men at enemy trenches (after hours to days of bombardment) really WAS the only way to do things. It was how trench warfare was fought, even as communications, reconnaissance, tactics and planning got better.
>>
>>51991787
This pic is the literal definition of insanity. Jesus fuck.
>>
>>51991831
At least it gave us glorious madmen like Mussolini and Julius Evola.
>>
>>51934772
No way I loved Homeworld 2. the campaign was so fucking cool. Nothing about it needs changing.
>>
File: 1303084946600.jpg (12KB, 251x205px) Image search: [Google]
1303084946600.jpg
12KB, 251x205px
>>51991771
Thing is, since we're talking about /k/, I'm not sure if you're joking.
>>
>>51991548
I once calculated that there is on average about 100 people inside each ship in logh.

As for WW1, yeah, that was one helluva war.
>>
>>51993471
So LOGH ships are very sparsely manned for their size compared to earth naval ships. Dispute being a whole order of magnitude larger.

I guess that makes sense if you consider automation and such.
>>
>>51991771
Source?
>>
>>51993558
Also, note that i said "on average".
All i did was take the amount of soldiers and divided it with the amount of ships (based on info given during alliance invasion attempt of empire).
>>
File: hw6.jpg (59KB, 700x561px) Image search: [Google]
hw6.jpg
59KB, 700x561px
>>
>>51988606
>>51988816
>>51989023
>>51989919
>>51989959
>>51993979
>All of this great stuff.
>I wont ever get to play with it because HW is apparently permafucked due to how mediocre HW2 was.

Fuck the gay earth.
>>
File: 2015-07-25_00003.jpg (78KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
2015-07-25_00003.jpg
78KB, 1366x768px
>>51985137

>>jerking it off to drawn girls while listening to chill space desert music

HAHAHAHA

I did that once as well.
>>
File: concept_battlescape_poster.jpg (198KB, 1024x440px) Image search: [Google]
concept_battlescape_poster.jpg
198KB, 1024x440px
>>51994782
Homeworld 2 was actually well received both critically and in popularity. Sierra was dying, so even though HW2 was a success it wasn't a huge blockbuster of a game and any money they wanted to squeeze out of the suddenly shrinking RTS genre wasn't enough. Relic had a pair of more commercially successful games in Dawn of War and Company of Heroes to pursue, and by that time it was basically a different company to the one it was in 1999 and the guys who made Homeworld split off to Blackbird.

Gearbox antie'd up to buy the rights for Homeworld, funded both the remastered Edition and DoK, which were not only received well despite the RTS genre today basically being either Starcraft 2, or some podunk game that like 4 people play, but have kept support with patches & updates. Gearbox are more of a producer than a developer, but they seem to be doing it mostly right by leaving it up to Blackbird to make any changes. BBI also seem like they want to stick with Homeworld, so it would not surprise me if we see a new Homeworld game in the next few years.
>>
>>51997261

Yes, the critical massacre of HW2 was delayed, I remember it. It was after some months that people started shitting on it (sometimes it was even right, unpatched difficulty was brutal, like, TWELBE BATTLECRUISERS if you had a maxed out fleet, with the Vaygr getting BATTLECRUISERS for your handful of fighters).

DoK is very mediocre though, and the MP scene is completely dead. There isn't a market for a MP focused RTS, and they have proven that they can't write a good SP one either.

Daily reminder that Cata was written by the Sword of the Stars "Dolphin Master Race" guys, that are outright insane nowadays. How the heck did they manage to write the best HW gaiden game is beyond me.

>>51996278

I got it as travel music when I had long trips to do by car. It's suprisingly good when you are in the middle of nowhere at night.

I'll admit that the Mothership starting sequence is the only piece of fiction that made me cry. How the fuck did I get emotional on pixel men.
>>
File: 1360530656650.jpg (158KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1360530656650.jpg
158KB, 1600x1200px
>>51904562
>HW2 had none of this because it was a shitty game.
What are you smoking senpai.
I agree that HW2 is not as good as HW1 but HW2 is still a fantastic game. I dare say no other Space RTS has reached its level since it came out.
I'm glad the Remaster comes with the original versions of both HW1 and HW2 so you can still play the origninal HW1 with out having to pirate it. Plus the money goes to the original devs.

HW1(orig)>HW2(remaster)>=HW:Cataclysm>=HW2(orig)>HW1(remaster)>>>>Everything Else.
>>
>>51996278

Paul Ruskay did such a good job, I bought the very okay game Strike Suit Zero only because he did the music.

I still think Villeneuve should get him to do the soundtrack for the Dune remake.
>>
File: Beast_mothership.jpg (42KB, 600x538px) Image search: [Google]
Beast_mothership.jpg
42KB, 600x538px
>>51948893
>>51951911
>Homeworld DFC
I still need to paint my ships. I've been considering one of these designs.

I also came up with a rule incase you want to create a Beast faction.

>Infector(X)
>Weapons with this damage type do regular damage along with infection damage.
>When a ship is damaged with an infector, apply the regular damage as normal but add the infection value on top of the damage applied to the ship.
>If the total damage to the ship plus the total infected damage are greater than the ship's total HP, that ship is now under your control.
>infection damage does not go toward crippling damage rolls.
>>
File: ship paint schemes.png (3MB, 1740x1440px) Image search: [Google]
ship paint schemes.png
3MB, 1740x1440px
>>51998161
whoops, wrong pic.
>>
File: battlewagon ready.jpg (30KB, 480x340px) Image search: [Google]
battlewagon ready.jpg
30KB, 480x340px
Why is the cheese wheel battleship so cool?
>>
>>51998891
Because its a flying cheese wheel. Why is that NOT cool?
>>
>>51948179
>Cloak tech is something I'm still not sure about though. I can think of some ways of implementing it, but it's definitely a work in progress.
Dark eldars cloaking tech was done as rule saying you can't attack the cloaked ship until it attacks you or it gets pretty close. you could start with that as a base.
>>
>>51981827
there was O.R.B.
decent game. rather HW like but it had moving asteroids and a crew resource that effected research and building times that was interesting.
>>
File: CgrAYHNUoAExPUd.jpg (39KB, 600x466px) Image search: [Google]
CgrAYHNUoAExPUd.jpg
39KB, 600x466px
>Week long thread of Homeworld lore, worldbuilding and systems making (I think)
>Excellent ideas for sequels, new factions, and revisions for HW2
>Nary a shitpost in sight
Scruffy believes in this board
>>
>>52001450
This will be the second one of these friend.
>>
File: 1472844670144.jpg (1MB, 5760x3840px) Image search: [Google]
1472844670144.jpg
1MB, 5760x3840px
>>52001450

Obligatory shit post motherfucker
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 75

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.