[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are /tg/'s thoughts on objective morality systems in games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 8

What are /tg/'s thoughts on objective morality systems in games?
>>
File: alignment-chart.png (165KB, 1125x900px) Image search: [Google]
alignment-chart.png
165KB, 1125x900px
>>51880989
>selflessness is inherently "good"
>self-love is inherently "evil"

well spooked
>>
File: C2J_BinW8AA7ast.jpg (98KB, 600x709px) Image search: [Google]
C2J_BinW8AA7ast.jpg
98KB, 600x709px
>>51880989
>Sulla
>Any kind of good
>>
>>51880989
>only thing that matters is doing what the laws demand
>Lawful Good
>not textbook Lawful Neutral

>you have to follow the law, even if it means bending the laws to suit yourself
>not DEFINITION of Lawful Evil

stop it
>>
File: 1ihgmg.gif (177KB, 227x177px) Image search: [Google]
1ihgmg.gif
177KB, 227x177px
>>51880989
>2017
>People still using rigid alignment systems that in in way allow for realistic or interesting characters.
>>
>>51881281
Lawful Good is wielding order as a shield for the benefit of all. Lawful Neutral is bludgeoning with that shield for the benefit of those that follow it. Lawful Evil is wielding order as a sword for the benefit of yourself.

The laws of man are not aligned in any way, the manner in which they are enforced are.
>>
>>51880989
Objective morality is good in game systems because they can be clearly defined and used to punish special snowflake edge lords like the ones posting itt
>>
>>51880989

It works in D&D because it's inextricably tied to the class and magic system.

It has no place in other games though.
>>
>>51881455
Lawful Neutral is upholding the law with no interest in befitting anyone specifically. The laws themselves are a purpose.
>>
There use to be tons of these. Anyone got some to post I don't have them anymore.
>>
File: What Would Dr Good Guy Do.jpg (52KB, 720x566px) Image search: [Google]
What Would Dr Good Guy Do.jpg
52KB, 720x566px
>>51885559
>>
File: Alignments.jpg (518KB, 1500x1349px) Image search: [Google]
Alignments.jpg
518KB, 1500x1349px
>>
File: burgalign.png (809KB, 654x900px) Image search: [Google]
burgalign.png
809KB, 654x900px
>>
>>51880989
>Lawful neutral is retarded, if you are willing to bend laws just to suit your needs you aren't lawful neutral
>Caesar's quote makes zero fucking sense in this context
>Sulla wasn't good
>Executing rebellious slaves is practically the definition of lawful
>>
>>51886092
>mass slaughter of slaves is lawful

well meme'd my dude
>>
>>51886168
>Executing people who are rebelling against the state
>not utterly legal
'Lawful' is not just a different word for 'good' , the laws of almost every fucking country say that treason gets the death penalty, especially back then.
Just because you don't like it doesn't make it not the law.
Chaotic evil would be sacking a town of people who haven't done anything in particular just to make a point.
>>
>>51880989
i have in the past proclaimed a dislike of them, but of late i find them interesting in the sense that you need to have some kind of system imo for morality for a lot of players, in the same way that you have a system for casting spells and fighting with a sword. i.e. i think a weird abstraction of reality that puts characters and npcs into categories is actually kind of useful as both a player and a dm.
it doesn't have to be intense, and i'm not into stupid games about making paladins fall or whatever, but i think its a good thing to have so you can point to it when the paladin decides the best way to beat the monster is to burn down the church or the party forgets about the choir boy.
>>
File: boo.gif (24KB, 274x200px) Image search: [Google]
boo.gif
24KB, 274x200px
>>51880989
In that a person's ego can be all of the and none of them because morality is subjective and only an Active God could enforce such as thing as objective morality

Alos
>spooks
>>
>>51886200
FWIW the morality of the roman state as an entity is basically similar to the drow; the people in it are mostly towards lawful, the actual state as an entity veers towards chaotic evil due to its overwhelming worship of strength and its overall tendency to treat allies and enemies alike like slaves (this might trigger the romaboos but imo Tacitus was overwhelmingly right in his assessment of the empire, and it holds until all the way to the Constitutio Antoniana).
>>
I like it because it prevents stupid faggots from trying to insert their """""profound""""" opinions nobody cares about. In this world, these things are evil and these things are good, if you don't like it you're just fucking wrong go play another game.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.