[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does it fit?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Question.jpg (39KB, 260x230px) Image search: [Google]
Question.jpg
39KB, 260x230px
Does it make any sense to use riddles and other mental challenges in an RPG? Especially when the player's stats and the PC's stats don't match?

Between two lies the point is moot
The secret lies within the root
What am I?
>>
>>51870836
>Does it make any sense to use riddles and other mental challenges in an RPG? Especially when the player's stats and the PC's stats don't match?

See the "Fighter with 8 Intelligence can't answer riddles" pasta.
>>
>>51870836
I remember another thread years ago with the same title, but that one was about smuggling stuff into a city by hiding it in a centares pussy
>>
>>51870942
Honestly whatever it was it probably fits. Horse vagoo is spacious my man
>>
>>51870942
>>51870978
kek'd so hard I don't even care that you're trying to hijack this thread
>>
>>51870836
I think it mostly has to do with modern vs old school gaming. Old school would definitely have riddles for the player to solve. In modern games they might be a novelty at most
>>
>>51870836

Depends on how you handle it as a player/GM.

A player playing a smart character should be allowed to roll for a hint big enough to give away the solution. ("You think the riddle is an abstraction and that morning, day, and night mean the different parts of a creatures lifespan. Legs probably mean anything from hands to walking sticks")

A player playing a dumb character should be rewarded for making the smarter characters figure out the riddle without straight up giving away the answer ("Tribe shaman always tired in evening so uses stick to walk. Maybe answer is old man with stick?")

Should the player playing a dumb character just answer directly instead, he shouldn't be penalized for answering correctly. When you involve a metagame challenge, you must be willing to accept a metagame solution.
>>
Does anyone have good ideas for riddles to use? I always like using them in a way that helps them avoid traps without blocking progress, ie the solution to the riddle is also the solution to the trap.
>>
>>51870836

If a player with a dumb PC figures out the answer OOC, all they have to do is tell a player who has a smart PC.

I don't understand why this is an issue. I don't understand the autism that frowns on players conferring to find answers.
>>
>>51875723
Some people view it as a sort of metagaming. Some people believe that if the player can't deduce the answer themselves, neither should their character, even though it might be perfectly in character for them to be smart enough to have known it or figured it out.

Usually the people I see complaining about it the most are GMs who are butthurt that a player whose character has 8 Int knows the answer to the question the 18 Int character's player should be figuring out.
>>
>>51870867
I do not have this pasta, but am very interested.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.