[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How good is Gimp for drawing for maps? Is it also usable when

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: Gimp.png (34KB, 300x224px) Image search: [Google]
Gimp.png
34KB, 300x224px
How good is Gimp for drawing for maps? Is it also usable when you are bad in drawing?
>>
>>51866754
I dont know about gimp for maps, but let me tell you something about it in general.

Just pirate PS CS6. Gimp is such a hunk of shit in terms of ease of use. So many god damned fucking keypresses, clicks, and dialogues. It could work, I guess, but prepare for pain.
>>
>>51866754
It is fine. Just need to learn to use layers.
IMO, PS has advantage in custom brushes. Other than that - they are both mostly equal for making maps.
>>
File: map making.png (1MB, 535x3450px) Image search: [Google]
map making.png
1MB, 535x3450px
Let me lend you this eldritch knowledge
>>
>>51866796
Do you have a link? I can not find a crack.
>>
>>51866754
I use Inkscape. Actually, using the trace feature and Donjon's fractal world generator I can make a good organic looking map by resizing and rotating islands until I have the land masses I want.
>>
>>51866754
Do you mean worldmaps or battlemaps?
You can use it for both.
>>
File: K1nzvpW[1].jpg (964KB, 3200x2400px) Image search: [Google]
K1nzvpW[1].jpg
964KB, 3200x2400px
>>51866754
I've used the Gimp for... god, about ten years now. It doesn't hold your hand. If you can't draw a map on paper, you won't really be able to in the Gimp with ease. There are few tutorials.

I won't call the Gimp bad, I'd say it's better to start your journey with it so that you learn the hard way first. If you're looking for "ease of use babby's first image manipulator" you should check out inkarnate.

(Pic related, latest map I'm working on. Bunch of floating islands for a Godbound realm.)
>>
I made this map in gimp one or two years ago. Did draw the outline by hand, because leftie.

The program has everything you need if you aren't a great artist or want to make your map look like a cg render. Get familiar with the different brushes and how layer modes work and you're good to go.

With my new job I've been working with photoshop a lot and honestly, gimp is just more convenient. The ineterface may seem complex on first glance but like with any other big program you get used to it.
>>
>>51866754
it's quite good
difficult to get the hang of if you are spasticated like me, but the results are worth it
photoshop is autismal as fuck
>>
>>51866754
I can tell you're not a very productive person if you need to ask mongolian basket-weaving forum about it.
>>
>>51866754
Start drawing maps by hand. It's by far the easiest way. Draw them on white paper using a good permanent marker, dye the paper using tea, burn the edges with a lighter. That's it.

If you have a disgusting handwriting, draw the map by hand, scan it, add text with GIMP, print, dye, burn.

GIMP is less user friendly than Photoshop but there are quite a few tutorials. But generally speaking, if you suck at drawing using a pen, you will suck more using a mouse.
>>
>>51870485
>Godbound
My melanin enhanced familial relative.
>>
>>51866754

It's pretty good. I use nothing but Gimp for map creation. The use of layers means you can put loads of information in and pick and choose what to see at any time. Add in the ability to post in external images (like world maps), you can create realistic coastlines with very little difficulty.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.