[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm looking for a good military sci-fi game system, preferably

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

I'm looking for a good military sci-fi game system, preferably something rules-medium. Not too heavy, not too light, and setting agnostic so I could theoretically run it for a homebrew setting. Preferably something other than GURPS.

For tone, probably something between Halo and Star Wars, with space navies and marines fighting on exotic worlds.
>>
Can you be very specific about what kind of mechanics you are looking for? What makes GURPS not work for instance?
>>
>>51851242
>Preferably something other than GURPS.

I wish you luck Anon and hope you succeed.

*fucks off back to the GURPS Thread*
>>
>>51851517
>>51851540
Jesus, look at these butthurt GURPSfaggots.

Just read Traveller, OP.
>>
>>51851242
Traveller.

>>51852072
Reminds me of how when someone makes a fantasy art thread and specifies "no anime", all the weebs feel compelled to fill up the thread with anime.
>>
File: 1356118595214.jpg (30KB, 498x373px) Image search: [Google]
1356118595214.jpg
30KB, 498x373px
>>51851540
>*fucks off back to the GURPS Thread*
Don't you mean back to Gaia Online?
>>
>>51851242
D6 Space. It's setting agnostic, rules-medium, pretty flexible and has enough of a cinematic tone to fit the "feel" you're going for. Has rules for Psi and things if you need it. Quick so create characters and "go", but flexible and grounded enough to provide satisfying long-term play.
Traveller could also work as a previous anon stated, although Traveller is IMO a bit on the "grittier" side of mechanics and setting assumptions.

>>51851517
>>51851540
I like GURPS as much as the next guy, but OP specified his preferences for something else; try to stay on-topic, and also not make the GURPS fanbase look like a bunch of asshole shills.
>>
>>51852168
P.S.: Incidentally, D6 Space is basically a streamlined/updated version of the Star Wars D6 system, which is part of the reason I think it would do well for you.
>>
>>51851242
Stars Without Number might be your best bet, with this supplement.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/158809/Starvation-Cheap-Military-Campaigns-for-Stars-Without-Number?

I'm sure the OSR thread here has PDFs of both the SWN core book and Starvation Cheap if you want to be a dirty dirty pirate.
>>
>>51851242
Why not just Star Wars if you want to play Star Wars?
>>
>>51851242
Easily refluffable military sci-fi rgs with aliens? Dark Heresy/Only War, Albedo (a bit rule heavy when vehicles are involved, but a blast of a tactical rpg), Wayfarer Infinity, West Point Extra Planetary Academy.
I've heard mixed things abbout the Starship Troopers and StarCluster rpgs, but I haven't tried them.
>>
>>51852362
>Only War

How easy to refluff is Only War? It seems like a lot of it is bolted to the 40k setting.
>>
>>51851517
I don't dislike GURPS per se, but I don't like having to pick and choose exactly which rules I want to follow. It's a weird thing where GURPS Lite is too little but full on GURPS is too much for me to GM personally.
>>
>>51851242

Savage Worlds. Flexible, adaptable, simple to learn, play, and run.

Even has a nifty sci fi companion with all the tools you need to replicate any sci fi setting.
>>
Starships and Spacemen for the Star Trek feel. Stars Without Number for the DnD feel, and for TONS of useful extras.
D6 Space for the star wars/action/cinematic feel.
Traveller for more gritty space-timey goodness, for that novel/short story feel. Getting heavier.
GURPS if you wanna go all out, but this is a slog.
>>
>>51853000
Just call the lasguns blasters, don't use tech - or psy-powers, and you're good to go.
>>
>>51851242
Stars Without Number is about the only thing that could do you, and it's not quite setting-agnostic.

Unless you want to try something trickier like D6 Space.

Both are free, FWIW.
>>
Age of Rebellion is LITERALLy a militar focused Star Wars RPG, so I'd say at least take a look at it.

It's a great game, too.
>>
>>51855334
It also got classes, awful gear balance, poor space combat, special dice, is rule-light. and don't manage well for large scale fights.
>>
>>51855648
>It also got classes

????

how is that a criticism?

>awful gear balance

if you're a shit GM, just like in any other system

>poor space combat

works perfectly fine

>special dice

So?

>is rule-light

Not really. It's narrative, but not really LIGHT light; it's just exactly in the middle ground OP is asking for

>and don't manage well for large scale fights.

It's not meant for large scale fights. He's asking for an RPG system, not a wargame.
>>
>>51855648
Are you a GURPSfag or something?

The idea that AOR is "rules light" is highly kek-able.
>>
>>51855872
My bad, I thought OP asked for a classless system. Must have mixed two threads up.
The rest still stands.
>>
>>51852072
>Jesus, look at these butthurt GURPSfaggots.

Wow, an idiot.

The first person explicetly wanted to know specifics of what they were looking for, and what they didn't like GURPS.

Second person is me. I offered good wishes and bumped this thread up from basically the last page.

Look how butthurt we are trying to be fucking helpful. You both are fucking autistic
>>
>>51852125
He has a time machine?
>>
>>51856865
t. butthurt gurps fag
>>
>>51851517

What is GURPS.
>>
>>51856089
Yeah no I was in that other thread you're thinking of too and I did the exact same thing holmes dw
>>
>>51851242
Strike! was made for XCOM style tactical combat with a light skill system attached for other stuff. It's a setting/fluff agnostic game.
>>
>>51859691
Generic Universal Role Playing System. Classless, Crunchy (everything can have a number), based on real world calcs.

Even if you don't play it, GURPS is still Generally Useful Role Playing Supplement.

There's an active GURPSgen thread right now, and they tend to be pretty friendly.

Anyways, OP, been hunting around, maybe Alternity? It's discontinued but apparently still good enough to have a fanbase.
>>
Based on what little experience I have:

D6 Space/Star Wars: easy and rules medium with the aforementioned cinematic feel

but you have to keep in mind that combat is slowed campared to Only War for example by

>Declaring actions (ranging from simply "shoot" to run "for cover, aim, shoot, dodge") > attack roll (adding up 3-7 dg on average) > defense roll (possibly again adding up 3-7 dg on average) > compare results, determine degree of succes for bonus damage > damage roll (adding up ...) > resist/armor roll > compare results and look up on a table how fucked the target is

i'm not saying d6 is bad or anything, but you have to get the hang of it to speed up combat especially if you want a combat heavy campaign
>>
>>51867113
I fucked up
dg should be d6
>>
>>51859691
Bad, in summary.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.