[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recommend a System

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: fate.jpg (73KB, 311x450px) Image search: [Google]
fate.jpg
73KB, 311x450px
So I recently just finished the first season of the Fate/Stay Night series. I really liked the idea for incorporating this into a short tabletop campaign (as the concept is something I think could be used well and my group have never seen the anime).

What would you guys recommend as a system to use for it? I was going to modify 5e D&D or maybe use GURPS but that's only because they are the systems I am familiar with. Not a noob DM but I am not a Vet. either.

tl;dr What system do you recommend to run a pic related (Fate/Stay Night) game?
>>
Fate, or some other narrative game, like Risus or something PbtA based (Worlds in Peril?).

Trying to stat out anime is stupid, autistic, an exercise in futility, and entirely missing the fucking point.
>>
>>51849997
Yeah a bit of research recommended the FATE system to me.

How difficult is it to grasp would you say? For players that have only really dealt with D&D and some Edge of The Empire?
>>
>>51849997
Oh and maybe to clarify a bit, I am not looking to recreate the anime just its concept.

I.e a Grail war, Heroic spirits and mages.

The only reason I thought D&D or more stat based systems might work was to have the heroic spirits be maybe 10th level characters with their respective class (Berzerker as brarbarian etc.)

And obviously have the mages have relatively low lvl 1 stats. Though the issue would be dealing with Mana and spell casting.
>>
>>51850125
>>51850080
Fate is... well, it takes some time to get used to, and has a few hiccups, but it's not that hard to grasp once you understand how Aspects and invoking/tagging aspects work.

Well, if you just want fantasy people to fight, then D&D is okay. 4e has the most high-fantasy stuff in it, and the best at combat, so that could be interesting.

However, D&D type systems with more than one character to control/player tend to be a fucking mess. Something lighter on the mechanics maybe, though I'm not sure what.
>>
>>51850241
I'll definitely check it out, if it makes for a better fit then that's 100% what I'd go for.

Yeah the D&D thing would require me limiting it to a smaller party, and having the characters mages being so frail that it's best if they do not have them actively engaging in combat so frequently and more let their Servants do the fighting. Though I know it would take quite a bit of home brewing.

I am just always a little apprehensive at giving player's narrative control because of bad experiences. If a player does something cool and overall it just makes things more fun at the table I am all for it. But more often than not there is a Mary sue, and edgelord or someone who similarly just wants to outshine or often put down the other players, which does not sit well with me.
>>
>>51849943
Freeform ERP. Nothing else can work.
>>
>>51849943
Fate is shit. And you are shit for likeing it.
>>
>>51849943
>my group have never seen the anime
I envy them
>>
>>51849943
>So I recently just finished the first season of the Fate/Stay Night series
I recommend you read the fucking VN before you attempt to run a game based off of it.
>>
>>51850241
Could try Strike!.

Got both combat and not giving a fuck down to an art.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.