[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

One shot suggestions: Shooters only

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: havokbanner.jpg (53KB, 700x250px) Image search: [Google]
havokbanner.jpg
53KB, 700x250px
I've never run a game with guns, for the past 2 years I've only done sword and sorcery. a game is coming up this weekend and i want to branch out and try a game with guns and more modern or future tech.

everyone in the group is on board and anything will fly. but i have no idea where to start?

i can figure out a system, thats pretty easy, we know enough about GURPS. i just have no idea about a game or setting, I'm drawing a pretty big blank. all i can think of is Zombie, wild west? or Shadowrun.

What can you suggest?
>>
>>51842062
>GURPS
Certainly pick up the best universal game out there for gunplay. Look at High Tech, and choose a setting. The further away you get from muskets up into laser rifles, the more complicated the situation can become. I urge you to pick what you think has the most fun though, and just run with it.

Least complex for gurps is always people vs people, with little extraneous equipment. Ww2, wild west frontier, and Victorian adventure all fit the bill. ( If you mix in zombies, they can needlessly complicated things with weird injury tolerance and unloving templates, but they're still fun)

Pick a setting, and build for it. And KISS(Keep It Simple Stupid). Don't use everything, but at least use hit locations!
>>
>>51842062
do shadowrun where people dress crazy and have supper neoprogressive fashion styles that sponsor androgyny and high impact sexual violence. If you want them to have success during their first run have them start with some decent supplies given to them by the guy. Shadowrun 1st level is reasonable as you can have a decent amount of supplies for yourself.

maybe think about running cyberpunk savage worlds or something instead though, as shadowrun is a little crunchy for something you're playing as a one shot. just less reading on your part and more roleplay than rollplay
>>
>>51842062
If you're looking at GURPS, give the Action series a shot. It takes only the necessary rules, simplifies/streamlines where necessary, and gives the players templates to work with; it's not only better for newbies, it also means *you* don't have to spend time doing all that and can instead focus on writing the adventure.

As for what the adventure will be, I'd say all the PCs should start out as an established team/group of buddies because you don't have time to waste on introductions. Gunplay-focused games can rise out of a lot of scenarios: search and destroy missions, rescue/"hostile extraction" missions in enemy territory, a mafia war, and a heist gone *very* wrong (or at least very loud as a smash n' grab) all work.
>>
What's the hard-as-balls Vietnam War game where you're a recon squad and you're not expected to last beyond the first three firefights? Contact?
>>
>>51842289
GURPS, for a one-shot?!? Are you retarded?

>Shadowrun

Even fucking worse. These games are overcomplicated crunchy nightmares, they do not belong to any one-shots unless you're all physics PhDs and want some light calculation for the evening.
>>
File: 60643.jpg (60KB, 208x272px) Image search: [Google]
60643.jpg
60KB, 208x272px
>>51842794
>where you're a recon squad
RECON!!!!
>>
File: ATG4003E_500.jpg (120KB, 500x647px) Image search: [Google]
ATG4003E_500.jpg
120KB, 500x647px
>>51842062
Feng Shui. You'll never have more fun.
>>
>>51843097
The hardest part of gurps is prep, all done by gm, and charge, done by player and gm. In a one shot, all the characters are gm created. So other than the GM having some work to do, as always, what's you problem with gurps again?
>>
>>51843097
yeah i agree shadowrun is a bit much, but GURPS isn't too hard once you get past the creation. i wouldn't recommend GURPS lite to anyone though.
>>
>>51843297
>>51843271
Also, gurpsgeneral is pretty welcoming to newbs
>>
File: 1478229188166.jpg (218KB, 1272x848px) Image search: [Google]
1478229188166.jpg
218KB, 1272x848px
>>51842062
couple suggestions

paranoia, have the players do any whacky shit, or be problem solvers of some kind

GURPS, multi universe time travel shenanigans

space pirating! not enough games explore being space pirates.

post apocalyptic future, the world survived an event where a contagion infected and turned people into mutated creatures, its been 200 years, 80% of civilization has returned to semi-normal, they live in walled off cities safe from any zones where infected may still roam, the players are X (you name it, soldiers killing any infected who may threaten the city, people who got infected and have to evade the security posts around the city that would oust them as infected and in turn get them killed, kidnapped by the umbrella corp of this world and turned into experiments with cool ass powers now you have to get revenge on the scientists kill all the soldiers and deal with anew outbreak) this can take place in a modern setting but it works better with future esque.

NOTfinal fantasy 15 type world where you're hunting down dangerous monsters and exploring modern dungeons, i always liked this. however this has swords and magic as well as guns if thats your thing.

imagine if you will, a world where cthulian horrors are well known, where creatures are put in zoo's or circumstances attractions, you're in what appears to be new york attending a show. the creatures break loose and the cops die, you attendees must take up arms and fight past the monsters or survive for the night. (pic related)

Players are crew aboard a space vessel intended to help discover new planets to set up on. you hit an asteroid belt and it takes out the engine, ship goes crashing down. players must select from one of the chosen roles (Doctor, Engineer, Soldier, Etc...) and survive on this desolate planet, scavenge for parts from the main vessel, fight off the planets dangerous inhabitants, and discover a dark secret about what appear to be signs of another missing crew.
>>
File: grey cyberpunk gunslinger.jpg (519KB, 850x1311px) Image search: [Google]
grey cyberpunk gunslinger.jpg
519KB, 850x1311px
d20 Modern, very easy if you've ever touched a d20 game before and the d20 Future supplement's got a nice set of fancy future weapons to pick from. Google "dagda revised firearms" for some rule variants sprucing up gunfight-related combat actions.
>>
self bump
>>
Strike! was made for XCOM-like games, and it's pretty damn simple.

Savage Worlds is a better alternative if you want your game to actually give some veneer of fuck about simulationism.
>>
>>51848099
savage worlds is neat but its missing a whole lot for my tastes, it was great for running impromptu games ill give it that
>>
>>51842062
Play Minisix with hit location modifiers from D6 Modern/D6 Space. Use D6 Modern weapon tables for gear. I'm doing a gritty wild west campaign set in late 1800's Colorado right now and it's going swell.
>>
>>51849964
thats not really a suggestion for a game to run?
>>
>>51842062
Shadowrun is an awesome setting.

Only downside is it can be pretty rules heavy, but it's perfect if you're a sperg and into stuff like that, like I am.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.