[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG Magic The Gathering Ask A Judge - 「 R U B Y T U E S D A Y 」

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 227
Thread images: 22

File: 57.jpg (46KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
57.jpg
46KB, 312x445px
Ask (questions) and ye shall receive (answers)!
>>
File: 248.jpg (69KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
248.jpg
69KB, 312x445px
Here's a scenario I see a lot of lower level judges get wrong:

I control a Thespian's Stage and have enough open mana to activate the copy ability. My opponent plays a Wasteland and uses it to attempt to destroy my Stage. With the Wasteland ability on the stack, I activate Stage to copy my Forest. What happens?
>>
>>51834978
Stage becomes an exact copy of the Forest as it exists in layer 1, with the exception of retaining the copy ability. That includes the Basic supertype.

Wasteland's ability goes to resolve, but the target is illegal (since it's not a nonbasic land). The ability is countered by the rules of the game, and Thespian's Stage is not destroyed.
>>
what goes well with black
>>
I'm new to magic and get pwned every time I play. Any suggestions on how to improve?
>>
>>51835477
Dark trousers and a colorful tie.
>>
File: 74399_720_02.jpg (234KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
74399_720_02.jpg
234KB, 2000x2000px
>>51835501

Don't forget 5.11 cargo pants. Are these suggested judge attire, or is it just a coincidence that so many prefer them?
>>
Blade of Selves on Omnath, Locus of Rage. When it attacks, makes copies of itself, and those tokens die because of the legendary rule, do the tokens see each other die or just themselves along with Angry Omnath seeing them each die?

Also, in the case of naming cards, would saying "Angry Omnath" be enough to identify Omnath Locus of Rage from Omnath Locus of Mana or would a judge ask for clarification?
>>
>>51835544
If those are the ones I think they are, they're commonly 'suggested' due to being comfortable for long stretches of time and having many convenient pockets. The "official" dress code for big events like GPs is just "Black trousers/skirt, shoes, socks, belt, and the WOTC-issued uniform shirt". No specifics on brand or anything beyond 'all black' and 'sensible'.

>>51835627
They see each other die. In a 4 player game, you'd get 2 Omnath tokens; both of them die (assuming you keep OG Omnath). That's 1 trigger off of each of them for their own death, 1 trigger of of each of them for their buddy's death, and two from OG Omnath, for a total of 6 triggers.

'Angry Omnath' wouldn't be enough for a Judge, most likely, in the sense that they'd just want clarification. "The Red/Green Omnath" would be absolutely fine, so would "The legendary Elemental from Battle for Zendikar that makes 5/5 Elemental tokens when you play a land".
>>
Anything you are particularly hoping for in Amonkhet, both as a player and as a judge?
>>
>>51835876
Personally I'm hoping that the fat pack comes with full art lands instead of the bleh ones.
>>
>>51835876
Dude, we're already getting Space Egypt, I'm pretty hype about that in and of itself. Though I fear Space Egypt won't be the block to give me the Commander I've spent the past 7 years wanting.
>>
>>51835951

Which is?
>>
>>51836045
Legendary Jellyfish, natch.
>>
Can i react to the last counter on thing in the ice beeing removed, before it transforms?
>>
>>51837050
You cannot respond between the counter being removed and Titty transforming, since it's all one trigger.
You absolutely can, however, respond to the trigger that would remove the last counter.
>>
>>51837050
Jein. You can respond to the trigger that will remove the last Ice counter, but you can't respond inbetween the counter being removed and the transformation- those are both part of the resolution of the ability.
>>
>>51834825
I have an Experiment Kraj, a Zurgo Bellstriker, and a Skullbriar the Walking Grave on the battlefield. Each creature has a +1/+1 counter on it. Kraj is returned to the hand, and Skullbriar is killed.

Can I play Kraj from my hand for 1R (Zurgo's Dash cost), and does it enter play with a +1/+1 counter on it (because of Skullbriar)?
>>
>>51836081

I think we'll be waiting for a long time for that.
>>
>>51836081
>>51838668
But they've already printed two versions of Emmy.
>>
>>51838668
Probably. A man can dream, though. In the meantime I'll just keep brewing stupid gimmick decks like "Orkz Tribal" and "Sea Monsters".

>>51838626
Kraj's ability, like most abilities, only functions on the battlefield. It doesn't function in any other zones.

Even if it did, neither Dash nor Skullbriar's replacement effect are activated abilities.
>>
>>51838686
>Kraj's ability, like most abilities, only functions on the battlefield
gay
>>
>>51838707
You seem to be missing the other part of "Even if it worked elsewhere, it doesn't pick up either of those totally-not-activated abilities".
>>
>>51838727
I saw that, but that's not much. I had other jank that I wanted to try (like using the abilities of the various Soul of X creatures from the graveyard), and that kills all of them.
>>
>>51838815
Might I interest you in Havengul Lich?
>>
>>51838842
Ah shit, that's right, you have to actually cast the dead thing to get the ability.

Necrotic Ooze then.
>>
>>51838842
>>51838849
If I activate Havengul Lich's ability to get back Soul of Ravnica, then kill the Havengul Lich, can I activate his copied Soul of Ravnica ability from the graveyard?
>>
>>51838899
Nope. As soon as it changed zones, it's a new object.
>>
Dimir doppleganger is a copy of medomai. I phyrexian metamorph the medomai. What does it look like?
>>
>>51839114
So, we start with a normal Doppelganger. Add in the copy ability, so it's a Medomai with the Doppelganger ability. That's what we're copying with Phyrexian Metamorph. So take that, and add on "also I'm an artifact". End result:

Medomai the Ageless 4UW

Legendary Artifact Creature - Sphinx

Flying

Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, take an extra turn after this one.

~ can't attack during extra turns.

1UB: Exile target creature card from a graveyard. ~ becomes a copy of that card and gains this ability.
>>
If all players were to lose simultaneously because of a damaging effect (say, a double damage Hidetsugu), if one of them has a Lich's Tomb or Phyrexian Unlife (or anything of that sort) in play, am I right that he will win the game? Currently I assume that both permanents use the stack to determine the "tax" of losing life and game loss due to zero or less life outspeeds any action on the stack.
>>
>>51839825
The triggers on both use the stack so yes, the other guy(s) will be SBA'd to death before you get triggered.
>>
>>51839825
Or pardon, Tomb has a trigger, Unlife won't start dicking with damage until you're already terminal.
>>
>>51839825
Lich's Tomb will keep you alive, because SBAs kill everyone but you before the trigger even goes on the stack.

Unlife, it'll depend- if you're above 0 and one big-ass hit would kill everyone, you'll live. If you were already at or below 0, the damage is gonna hit you as Poison damage, and you'll probably die along with them.
>>
>>51840284
In the stated case of a damage doubled Hidetsugu, he would only be taking damage if Unlife was not in poison mode.
Negative damage is treated as zero, aff?
>>
>>51840936
Right, I skimmed over the Hidetsugu. My mistake.
>>
Say I am attacking with Skysovereign, Consul Flagship. Can I get the three damage from it attacking, but before passing combat priority for blocking, sacrifice it to summon an Elder Deep-fiend to tap my opponents targets? Or is this one of those stack messes that fizzles?
>>
New to this, so sorry if it's a particularly dumb question.
I have 3 guys on board, my opponent casts a wrath, and in response I play collected company and hit two guys.
What happens next?
>>
>>51841776
your 2 guys hit the board and if none of their abilities matter all creatures die
>>
>>51841670
>Say I am attacking with Skysovereign, Consul Flagship.
Okay, you're attacking with Skysovereign, Consul Flagship.

>The actual question
Airking, Government Motherboat triggers once you attack. You can retain priority to sac it to Elder Deep Friend to flash in in response, and that won't stop the damage trigger from hurting whatever it was aimed at.

>>51841776
Company resolves, your 2 guys hit the board, any relevant ETBs trigger, and then they die to the wrath.
>>
>>51843104
Thank you! I am working on a Metalgear Colossus deck and I am working on all its angles for forcing its 20 damage in.
>>
>>51843163
>Metalgear

http://magiccards.info/query?q=of+Nature&v=card&s=cname
>>
I'm at two life with mana barbs in play and my opponent is also at 2 life. I have exsanguinate in my hand.

Can I win?
>>
>>51844224
You cannot, as described. Either you float the mana first, in which case you can't cast Exsanguinate until the triggers resolve (and kill you), or you tap your lands during the spellcasting process... in which case the triggers go ABOVE Exsanguinate, and kill you.
>>
Can progenitor mimic copy progenitus? Assume I have pic on the field.
>>
File: IMG_3587.jpg (41KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3587.jpg
41KB, 223x310px
>>51844283
Forgot image
>>
>>51844283
>>51844317
Does Progenitor Mimic contain the word "target"?
>>
File: IMG_3588.png (131KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3588.png
131KB, 223x311px
>>51844335
No.
>>
>>51844283
Yes. Protection from Everything means Progenitus cannot be

D amaged by anything
E nchanted or Equipped by anything
B locked by anything
T argeted by anything

Progenitor Mimic is attempting to do none of these things, so Protection doesn't stop it.
>>
>>51844409
Woo! Now to never be able to pull this combo off in an actual EDH game without someone wiping the field.
Speaking of that, would the copy and token copies deal normal monster damage or commander damage? Assuming progenitus is my commander.
>>
>>51844475
"Commander-ness" is inherent to the physical card, and is not copiable.
>>
File: IMG_3579.jpg (44KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3579.jpg
44KB, 223x310px
Would pic related be able to kill someone by redirecting lethal damage from one player to the owner? Like let's say a Feral Hydra controlled by player A gets boosted by an infinite mana combo and smacks player B for ridiculous damage. Would pic be able to redirect that damage back at A's face or will some state-check mean that it fizzles because Player B dies before anything happens?
>>
>>51844653
The damage is dealt to A -instead- of B. No damage ever hits B.
>>
>>51844670
When would I need to cast the spell for it to work since it doesn't say "until end of turn" or some such.
>>
>>51844716
>The next time a source of your choice would deal damage this turn, that damage is dealt to that source's controller instead.

Especially with older cards, you should always check the Oracle text. As long as you set up that prevention effect before the damage happens, you're fine- so your last chance would be after Declare Blockers, but before the Combat Damage Step.
>>
>>51844738
Thanks for the clarification. I finally have an answer in boros colors to Blasphemous Act.
>>
>>51842954
>>51843104
Cool, thanks so much
>>
>>51844776
Have you heard of Deflecting Palm? Might want to add this too. Does the same thing.
>>
>>51845681
Deflecting Palm doesn't do much against Blasphemous Act, friend.
>>
If I Nissa's Pilgrimage after upkeep do I get to play the forest that went in my hand too?
>>
>>51846458
It's a sorcery.
anyway, yes if you cast it on your turn, you get to play the forest.
>>
>>51846458
Sure- the land you put onto the battlefield directly was... well, put onto the battlefield directly. That doesn't count as your 'land drop' for the turn, so you can just play one of the Forests you put into your hand, too.
>>
I cast a spell, my opponent casts Mana Leak. I know that paying the mana is something that is a special action or something, or do I pay when Mana Leak resolves?

What about the white cat dude sitting in a chair that doesn't let me search?

If I pay the mana for cat chair guy, is it functionally like an ability with split second?
>>
>>51850425
It's not a Special Action, those are a whole other thing.

You pay your 3 mana as part of the spell resolving.

Now, paying to ignore Leonin Arbiter's ability, that is ABSOLUTELY a Special Action (an effect from a static ability that allows you to take an action to ignore that ability for a duration; doing so is a special action). You can do that any time you have priority, and like all Special Actions, it doesn't use the stack, can't be responded to, and happens immediately.
>>
If saskia player attacks with an infect creature is the damage saskia does infect damage also or just pure normal damage? What about commander damage
>>
>>51851583
The trigger comes from Saskia, but the damage itself comes from whatever triggered her. So if you hit with a Lifelink source, the damage from the Saskia trigger will gain you life too. Meaning if you dome someone with Infect, Saskia's trigger will dome with Infect.

The damage isn't Commander Damage, because Saskia isn't the source, and even if she WAS, Commander Damage is only Combat Damage.
>>
>>51844264
is there ever a scenario where tapping before or during casting matters?
>>
>>51852196
Sure- just change the card to an Instant. For example, I am at 1 life, you are at 3. My only land is a City of Brass, and I draw Lightning Bolt.

If I tap the land as part of the spellcasting process, I die. If I tap it to float red mana, and respond to the trigger with Bolt, I win.
>>
hmm, for some reason I thought the mana was in "purgatory" or something while the trigger waited, but I guess that wouldn't make much sense. Thanks
>>
>>51852466
Nah, one of the big things with mana abilities is they resolve instantly. They don't use the stack, they can't be responded to- you activate them, they happen.
>>
>have a creature
>put Godsend on it
>use mother of runes
>give equipped creature prowhite

does sword fall off?
>>
>>51852669
Sure does. Part of protection from white is "cannot be equipped by white equipment".
>>
>>51852669
yup
>>
Darksteel citadel and a mox opal in play. I put another mox opal into play, can you activate its mana ability before it (one of them) gets sac'ed?
>>
>>51852756
First, you don't sacrifice anything. You just pick one and put the other into the graveyard.

Second, no. The "Legend Rule" is a state-based action; it gets checked and enacted immediately before a player would get priority, EVERY TIME a player would get priority. By the time you have priority to activate Opal, you're back down to 2 artifacts.
>>
>>51852832

Just using the term sac for the general colloquial. And k, follow up question, explain the difference between priority and the stack please.
>>
>>51852919
I figured, but words mean very specific things in Magic.

The Stack is a game zone where objects wait to resolve. Priority is the system for determining who is able to act at a given time.
>>
I control havoc festival and mogis. My opponent controls phyrexian arena. Do I choose how to stack havoc festival and mogis because they are mine or does my opponent choose because it affects him
>>
>>51853018
The former. Any time you have multiple triggers wanting to go onto the stack at the same time, the Active Player (the one whose turn it is) will place all of THEIR triggers onto the stack in the order of their choosing, followed by the Non-Active Player(s) (the person/people whose turn it is NOT) doing the same. So your opponent would put Arena's trigger on the stack, and you'd put Mogis' and Festival's on the stack above that, in the order of your choosing. You could have them lose half their life, then take 2 or sac a guy, then they lose 1 and draw 1; or you can deal 2 unless they sac a guy, then they lose half rounded up, then they lose 1 and draw 1.
>>
>>51852937

K, so, maybe a better way to ask my question would be "Is it correct that mana abilities ignore 'the stack' but are still bound by priority?" And if that is true, can you give me an example where this is relevant, where ONLY mana production is happening (I know there are cases where mana production *does* use the stack because it's tied to a damage effect) Also, the only reason I ask for an example is because the earlier example about Brass city and responding to its damage trigger with a spell instead of using it to start, it's an interaction I had never thought of before, really good example for the question.

Also, gonna be nit-picky about your use of the phrase "game zone" here, it's not really a "zone" right? Spells have to go *somewhere* as they're resolving, true, but what about abilities? When a creature activates an ability it's not like they're changing zones, or are they then in two zones at once?
>>
>>51853085
Jein. Mana abilities come in two flavors: activated and triggered. The activated abilities you need priority to activate, like ALL activated abilities. Unlike normal activated abilities, they resolve immediately and can't be responded to.

There is a small caveat there: If an effect tells you to pay a cost (like Mana Leak), you are given permission to generate mana during the resolution of that effect. There's also a step that allows you to activate mana abilities during the steps of casting a spell, but generally speaking you'll need priority to activate a mana ability.

Also, there are no situations where mana production uses the stack because it's tied to damage. The only two things that can make an activated ability NOT a mana ability are "is a loyalty ability" or "targets something".

And no, the stack is absolutely a zone. I don't mince words when it comes to Magic, because words mean very specific things. If you activate a creature's ability, the CREATURE isn't going anywhere- it's still on the battlefield. The creature's ABILITY is on the stack.
>>
>>51853153

Okay, I think I understand. Just for clarification, "during the resolution of that effect." is in reference to the mana leak, in your example, not the spell targeted by the mana leak.

Also, I had it reversed, I was thinking of Overabundance in reference to mana and damage on the stack. It's the damage that then ignores the stack, NOT the mana going ON the stack with the damage.

Completely unrelated to my question, just spend the past 5 minutes trying to find an example of something. There are a few OLD cards that specifically call out the word "card" in their text, and the new oracle wording on them now says "nontoken" since they're not actually "cards", can you think of any?
>>
>>51853626
>First bit
Right. Mana Leak is saying "Hey, you gonna pay 3?" and gives you permission to activate mana abilities while Mana Leak itself is resolving.

>Second bit
Also right- Overabundance has a triggered mana ability. All of it (including the damage) happens instantly, does not use the stack, and cannot be responded to

>Third bit
Not off-hand, honestly.
>>
>>51853670

Found a couple, spectral bears, chaos orb, Teferi's realm etc. They use "nontoken permanent" wording now.

Thanks for the info on everything!
>>
>>51835680
So if I cast nevermore and blank out on Bob's name I can describe Bob and as long as I know everything about him Dark Confidant will be uncastable given i call a judge for it?
>>
>>51854259
When you need to 'name' a card, all you have to do is uniquely identify it. "Bob" might not stick as a nickname, but "That 2/1 for 1B from original Ravnica that has you reveal a card during your upkeep, lose life equal to CMC, and put it in your hand" would be plenty.

Basically, if you can give me enough information that I can narrow it down to exactly one card, you have 'named' it as far as the game cares. In a tournament, it might be best to call a Judge and say "I'm casting Nevermore, and I want to name [UNIQUELY IDENTIFY CARD HERE]; what is the Oracle text of that card?".
>>
Does Magma Spray prevent a creature from regenerating? It seems like both are creating a replacement effect for the creature dying and I'm not sure what would happen.
>>
>>51855019
The other way around. Regenerated creature never touch the graveyard so magma spray's ded to exile thing never happened.
>>
What's the best way to win a match, and why is it "forcing your opponent to concede because you have them in an iron-tight prison lock but you have no win con in your deck"?
>>
File: PRISON.jpg (115KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
PRISON.jpg
115KB, 750x1000px
>>51855019
Regeneration prevents the destruction event, whereas Magma Spray replaces "go to graveyard" with "exile". No destruction event means no going to graveyard, so Regen trumps Magma Spray.

This is why Disintegrate, for example, has an additional no-regeneration clause on top of the exiling.

>>51855554
Pic related.
>>
>>51834825
What would be the judge ruling in this situation (>>51853004)?
>>
>>51857192
That'd be more of a TO issue.
>>
What would the fix for somebody shuffling their hand into their deck during a search be at regular rel.
>>
>>51834825

I felt like raging because I believe I'm 100% correct.

>Be me
>be FNM
>Piloting esper
>Fighting some homebrew
>Opponent plays something I don't like (foggy on what but it was an instant)
>I counter with Countersquall
>He counters with remand
>I have two mana open still
>Recast countersquall on what I originally wanted countered.
>"Can't do that anon, whats the stack starts resolving it has to completely resolve."
>"No it doesn't, that's not how it works, that's not how any of this works."
>Buddy of his interjects telling me I'm wrong.
>Shitty hometown FNM with no judge.

Ya I was pretty mad, but please, tell me I was wrong to make me feel better.
>>
My opponent has 5 cards in hand, some number of which are terminus. I do not know the contents of their hand. They draw a terminus for the turn and reveal it to the miracle trigger. I respond with quicken into hymn to tourach. How does this situation get resolved?
>>
>>51859862
Next time that comes up, use the judge hotline website. They're generally very fast for simple things like that.
>>
>>51859887
You resolve the Hymn. If they still have that Terminus in their hand, they get to Miracle it.
>>
>>51859889

Shit that's a good idea. Typically I don't get salty over things like this but losing to him meant I wouldn't place. We ended up 1-1-1 and I feel like it would have gone differently if I had that life back (it was a burn spell.)
>>
>>51859922
But how do we know if its the right terminus?
>>
>>51858859
I have to double check on this, give me a moment.

>>51859862
"The stack" does not resolve. The stack is a game zone. OBJECTS on the stack resolve, one at a time, and players get priority after each object resolves. You can absolutely let Remand resolve to bounce your Countersquall, and then re-cast it.

>>51859887
The Terminus they drew remains revealed until the Miracle trigger resolves, so you use a different method to randomly pick two cards than "shuffle hand face-down". I'd say lay the hand on the table face-down (with Terminus face-up off to the side) and roll a dice.

>>51859889
To be fair, the IRC is not a replacement for an actual Judge. TECHNICALLY speaking, the TO for the FNM is the Head Judge, and you shouldn't be getting rulings from what are effectively random bystanders. Now, suggesting that the totally-not-a-Judge TO keep that IRC open in case of disputes so THEY can get advice and give the ruling, that's a good option.
>>
>>51859976
You have to resolve the Hymn without hiding the Terminus, which means you can't just "pull two cards".
In your case, them having six cards in hand makes it easy to just give each card a number and roll 1d6 until you get two distinct numbers to tell which cards go byebye.
>>
>>51859976
Get a sleeve with a token as a replacement for the Terminus. Shuffle it with your hand and your opponent chooses 2 card.
>>
>>51859981
>To be fair, the IRC is not a replacement for an actual Judge. TECHNICALLY speaking, the TO for the FNM is the Head Judge, and you shouldn't be getting rulings from what are effectively random bystanders. Now, suggesting that the totally-not-a-Judge TO keep that IRC open in case of disputes so THEY can get advice and give the ruling, that's a good option.
From the way he phrased it, with the third-party coming over and kibitzing, I'd assumed it was casual going on at the site of a FNM.
>>
>>51858859
>>51859981
So, it turns out that I was mostly correct in my initial thought:

Technically this is treated the same way as "I have too many cards in my hand", or "I accidentally pulled 8 cards for that Dig Through Time": you have more cards in a set (the library, in this case) than you SHOULD.

Technically speaking, the fix for that is to reveal the set in question, and have the opponent choose which cards are 'excess'. So in this situation, that would mean if you agreed you had 5 cards in hand, they would choose WHICH 5 cards in your library should not be there, and that is your new hand.

From what we discussed, this SHOULD be a choice offered to you: Either let your opponent pick your new hand, or just play on without one.

>>51860046
Or just roll a dice.

>>51860051
Fair, I missed that line!
>>
>>51860051

It's a veeeeery laid back FTM. It's more like a kitchen table even though its at an establishment. I enjoy it when I don't get fuckwits giving rulings that aren't right. Prizes are still legit as long as enough people show up so I enjoy going.
>>
>>51860083
Technically even if it's laid-back, spectators should not be commenting on games in progress, and they DEFINITELY shouldn't be giving 'rulings'.

I'd talk to your TO about using the IRC to address questions he can't answer himself, and stress how it'd improve the experience for the players.
>>
>>51860128

Ya that's a really good idea, I'll talk to him about it before tourny.
>>
File: berserk.jpg (344KB, 1101x1492px) Image search: [Google]
berserk.jpg
344KB, 1101x1492px
Is a card in this state legal for tournament play? It's going on ebay and I'm thinking of talking down the seller, but there's no point if i can't play it.
>>
File: bearseark.jpg (366KB, 1095x1494px) Image search: [Google]
bearseark.jpg
366KB, 1095x1494px
>>51862612
the back is similar, if that matters.
>>
>>51862619
not a judge
but from my understanding, unless it's sleeved you can't play that card seeing as you can tell what card that is based on it's poor condition
>>
>>51862727
I would play it sleeved, but there's a limit to how damaged a card can be, i'm not sure if this crosses it.
>>
File: 1485141752169.png (351KB, 352x478px) Image search: [Google]
1485141752169.png
351KB, 352x478px
>>51859862
Going to take a guess that he used to play yugioh, cause that's how it was in that game.
>>
File: magix.jpg (91KB, 530x370px) Image search: [Google]
magix.jpg
91KB, 530x370px
>>51834825
After processing a Spell Queller spell does it still get cast from the graveyard?
>>
File: c1h3hduxgaa8mkj_orig.jpg (62KB, 541x371px) Image search: [Google]
c1h3hduxgaa8mkj_orig.jpg
62KB, 541x371px
>>51834825
My question is what the fuck, i got raped by this tonight in 2 games.
>>
>>51863457
Its good, but if you're expecting it then you can deal with it. Shock is a good answer.
>>
>>51863487
so my deck got mana screwed in both directions tonight, i got too many lands and also didn't get enough

playing 3 color with dual lands, did i just get super unlucky? every play test i drew perfectly but something just went wrong, what is the strats for good deck building and card balance

seems like i should just copy a deck from the internet, is magic even worth playing, it seems like its pay to win shit. Like being a moderate player for fun just means you get to lose every time. Either you get obsessed with it and are really good, or just copy someone on the internet and pay for the deck and win.. thats not really what I like.

Maybe im just a Limited type of guy
>>
>>51863624
Well, the best decks are the best decks for a reason. Lots of people better at playing magic than you and I test, and find them. If you're super duper brew was better than everything else, people would start playing it and then it'd be netdecking all over again. This is ESPECIALLY true of standard. Other, older formats allow for more shitbrewing as the card pool is larger.

That said, I'm playing storm in standard right now, winning probably under 50% of my games, and having a blast.
>>
>>51863844
>storm in standard
What in standard has storm?
>>
>>51863337
No.

As a general rule, when an object moves zones (exile -> graveyard, hand -> battlefield, even battlefield -> graveyard) it has no memory of being whatever it was before it moved. When the spell queller trigger goes to look for the spell it exiled it can't find it and the game doesn't care that there's some other game object in the graveyard now that just happens to be the same piece of cardboard.

>>51863487
There is something to be said about how good you are at piloting a deck, as the same deck can function pretty differently in the hands of a pro versus someone who hits up FNMs every now and again. But yeah, if you really want to get into it competitively you're gonna be shelling out dosh and plagarizing lists. As with most /tg/ the key is to just play with friends who want similar things from it as you.
>>
>>51863982
Aetherflux reservoir. Not exactly storm, but its very similar. Dump 9+ spells in a turn, win the game.
>>
>>51864047
>Aetherflux Reservoir + Expertise Cycle
Sounds like the right amount of jank. Isn't really the right thread for it, but you got a list?
>>
>>51863337
No. Spell Queller's ability looks for the card in exile, and if it can't find it, nothing happens when Spell Queller leaves the battlefield. The exact same thing works for Oblivion Ring and other things like it.
>>
>>51864065
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/standard-reservoir-combo-bonesaw-go-home/

Its great fun. If you want it cheaper, take out Spirebluff Canals, Collective Brutality and Fatal Push. If you want more information, refer to my 2000 word soliloquy. I went a bit overboard on the description.
>>
>>51835942
same ratio as boosters, 1/4 full art
>>
>>51844570
>my yidris gets hit by imprisoned in the moon
>i then cast ruinous path for the awaken cost and put the four counters on my yidris-land
>start beating up people with my 4/4 that can tap for ass
does it count towards commander damage?
if imprisoned in the moon gets bounced or destroyed, is yidris now a 9/8?
>>
>>51850466
>a Special Action (an effect from a static ability that allows you to take an action to ignore that ability for a duration; doing so is a special action). You can do that any time you have priority, and like all Special Actions, it doesn't use the stack, can't be responded to, and happens immediately.
is activating a mana ability a special action?
>>
>>51852360
>If I tap the land as part of the spellcasting process, I die. If I tap it to float red mana, and respond to the trigger with Bolt, I win.
what the fuck
is this to do with mana abilities not using the stack and can't be responded to?
>>51852501
whaatttt?
>>
>>51862612
>>51862619
Hard to say based on just the pictures. As long as I can't tell it apart from the other cards in your deck while it's sleeved, you should be fine, but that level of wear makes me worry it might be more flexible than other cards by a notable degree.

>>51863337
Nope. The trigger will be looking for the card in exile, and it's not there anymore.

>>51865901
Commander'ness is inherent to the card. Your Commander is still a Commander even if all of its abilities are removed, so your 4/4 Moonjail Ydris is dealing commander damage.

>>51865918
No, that's just activating an ability.

>>51865931
Yeah- mana abilities just immediately happen. If I tap a Forest, I get a green mana immediately. Nobody can respond to that.
>>
>>51863624
mind posting a decklist through tappedout or similar? anons can give advice on how to improve
>>
If I have Telepathy in play, and an opponent connects with their Master of Predicaments, do I see which card they choose from their hand?
>>
>>51866329
Yes. They have to clearly denote which card in their hand was 'chosen'. Because you can see their hand, that means you'll know the spell they picked, and can shut the Sphinx down.
>>
File: simian-spirit-guide-cropped.jpg (134KB, 464x664px) Image search: [Google]
simian-spirit-guide-cropped.jpg
134KB, 464x664px
If I have a copy of simian spirit guide on the battlefield, and I create a token copy of it, then return the token to my hand somehow (unsummon, repeal, etc), do I have time to pitch the spirit guide for R using its mana ability or does it fizzle from the game before I get the chance?
>>
>>51867619
"Fizzle" means something else, but no. You have to have priority to activate a mana ability MOST of the time, and SBAs will make the 'token which is not on the battlefield' stop existing immediately before you get priority.

On the off-chance that you somehow return it to your hand with an effect that asks for a payment (meaning you'd be able to activate mana abilities during the resolution of that effect)... still no. Once a token has left the battlefield, it can't leave whatever zone it's in until SBAs make it stop existing.
>>
alright please help

im going to fnm at a japanese store tomorrow night and im running aetherworks marvel paradox engine fuckery. 2 questions.

lets say it is my opponents main phase. he taps 3 to play saheeli rai. assuming i have the energy, can i tap and activate aetherworks marvel, find a negate in the top 6 cards of my library, and cast it to counter the saheeli rai? also, on my opponents end step, can i tap it and play creatures or sorceries even though it isnt my main phase? thank you guys very much
>>
>>51867685

Thank you, it was turning into a gigantic argument in my EDH playgroup.
>>
>>51867714
You can absolutely respond to his spell by popping Marvel to dig for a Negate.

Ditto for casting a non-Instant, non-Flash during your opponent's turn; the only reason you can't cast Wrath of God during my turn is because the rules that define when you can cast a sorcery don't say that's one of the times you can. No rule FORBIDS it- it's that no rule ALLOWS it; Magic's rules are permissive, not restrictive, by nature.

Marvel says "Nah, you totally can cast a spell right now" during the weird time of 'during the resolution of an ability'. You now have permission, so you're golden.
>>
>>51867737
okay, thanks a bunch. i just started piloting the deck and am not an avid control player. i doubt this will happen tomorrow but either way its bound to happen. one last question; if i cast whir of invention, which is 3 blue and an x, what happens? can i pay additional mana for it or does it just get played for 0?
>>
>>51867841
Off of Marvel? X must be 0. With literally exactly one exception in the entire game, X must be 0 if you're paying an alternate cost that doesn't have an X in it (for example, the flashback on Conflagrate has an X, so you can have X be something other than zero, but the alternate cost of "FO' FREE, SON" on Marvel does not, so you can't).
>>
>>51867866
well thats a shame. i cant think of any 0 cost artifacts in standard other than those cheerios equipments. thanks again.
>>
Going to my first Draft tonight, which will also be my first time playing full-fledged paper Magic.

Any tips?

Also, is control dead (in draft, standard, or otherwise)? I really want to play pure/traditional control before branching out into more experimental forms of control
>>
So this fucking walking ballista.

if I were to kill it with an instant or some shit like that. Can he answer by trowing the counters and killing my creatures??
>>
>>51868010
"true" control is damn near impossible to pull off in Draft, simply because you don't have guaranteed access to the card advantage and removal you need. Sealed tends to be a lot more creature-focused.

>>51868013
Yep.
>>
>>51868059
>yep

thats pretty gay famalam
>>
>>51868100
I mean, why wouldn't they be able to? Your removal doesn't just instantly happen. You cast it, they get priority to respond, and they can respond by activating Ballista. It's really no different than "In response to Shock, tap my Royal Assassin to kill your creature".
>>
>>51868113
alright alright... you don't have to be so pissy about it famigo
>>
>>51868180
>Throws a tantrum about the rules not giving his removal Split Second
>Tells the guy clarifying to 'not be so pissy'
>>
>>51868190
>claims to not be gay
>is gay

ok
>>
>>51868190
forgot your trip
>>
>>51867866
What is the exception?
>>
>>51869333
Spoils of War.
>>
If a creature has an ability that triggers when it deals combat damage to you hits you but has 0 power what happens
>>
>>51870015
it didn't deal damage, so it doesn't trigger.
>>
I deal damage with Yidris to activate cascade on my next spell. If I cast Barals Expertise do I resolve the cascade trigger before or after I play my second spell with Barals Expertise? Does my second spell trigger cascade a second time?
>>
File: IMG_3583.png (134KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3583.png
134KB, 223x311px
If I have bitter fued targeting two opponents and pic on the field is the damage quadrupled or tripled?
>>
>>51870081
You cast Expertise, which triggers Cascade. Resolve the Cascade trigger, wheel until you hit a spell. Resolve that spell. THEN begin resolving Expertise, including the free-cast. Free-cast spell will trigger Cascade, so you wheel, cast whatever you cascaded into, then cast the original 'free' spell.

Total free spells: Three, my dude

>>51870157
Quadrupled. You apply one replacement effect and double 4 damage to 8. Then you apply the next, which doubles 8 damage to 16. Replacement effects will be multiplicative, not additive.
>>
>>51863624
First off you don't need equal of all duals, if you play blue more then Blue duals are what you have more of.

Second off, it's a given on what's the best, but you also need to "survey your meta". (People mostly playing copycat? Play Vehicles, add to your sideboard outs to your enemies. See what the LGS people are playing, and how your deck compares. Even with a T1, you'll have to adjust if everyone in your store has decks that don't need to sideboard easy outs.)
>>
If by some miracle you manage to have multiple emblems from Liliana the Last Hope out: what happens? Do they all check the field at the same time or do they resolve one by one in sequence?

So if I have 0 Zombies out with two Emblems would I end up with 4 Zombies or 6 when they resolve?
>>
I cast banefire for 5+ and opponent responds with Deflecting Palm.

What happens?
>>
>>51871772
The value of X is checked as the ability resolves. So say you have 2 Emblems, and currently have 0 Zombies. Your upkeep happens, both Emblems trigger, and you put them on the stack in whatever order because it doesn't actually matter. The first trigger resolves, sees you have 0 Zombies, so it gives you that many plus two, or 2 total. The next trigger resolves, sees you have 2 zombies, and gives you that many plus two (so 4), giving you 6 total. Next turn you'd get 8 off of the first trigger, and 16 off of the next, etc, etc.

>>51872043
Your opponent wasted 2 mana and a card. The damage from Banefire can't be prevented, so it isn't. No damage was prevented, so Deflecting Palm doesn't hit back.
>>
Can Pestilence demon's ability be used past 6 times?
>>
>>51872565
Sure- you just need to hold priority and activate it a bunch of times in a row.
>>
If I have Leovold, emissary of trest on the Battlefield and I play Dark deal, does my opponent draw 1 or 0 cards?
>>
>>51872650
Assuming your opponent has not already drawn a card this turn, 1. If something tells you to draw a bunch of cards, it's actually telling you to draw 1 card, several times. So the first draw is okay, and then Leovold says "hah nope" for the rest.
>>
>>51834825

If my opponent tries to use his weaponized flatulence in order to drive me away from the board and thus the game, are judges empowered to contact Geneva for enforcement of chemical weapons bans, or do I have to settle with them disqualifying him?
>>
>>51872701
Sorry, we're not authorized to respond to biological weapons with anything more powerful than a Grade 3 Stern Glare. You'd want to talk to the TO, who is empowered to utilize The Bum's Rush.
>>
>>51872688
Thanks
>>
I'm pretty lost when it comes to deckbuilding, and somehow I always seem to get screwed over when it's time to play. What's considered ideal in terms of mana curve? Should my deck be almost exclusively 4-ofs for consistency? Are there any tips you can offer someone who's kind of new but always seems to need to mulligan?
>>
>>51872780
Curve is gonna depend on the deck. More aggressive decks want to peak at lower numbers, while slower decks can afford to shift their curve more to the right. You definitely want to stick to as many 4-ofs as possible as a general rule, because consistency is king.

If you're constantly needing to mulligan, ask yourself *why*. Are you flooded with land? Not enough? Do you not have the right colors? No plays for 4 turns? Are you actually having to mull a lot, or do you just not think about the games where your hand looks fine? You'll have a lot more success fixing a problem if you know what you need to fix in the first place.
>>
Why is it, with the Expertises (I like Barry's the best), that the free spell is cast on top of the Expertise? Shouldn't the Expertise resolve, say "Hey, you can cast a spell now" and then cast your spell?

It seems counter- intuitive. But maybe I'm missing something.
>>
>>51872840
Because you're casting the spell -while- the Expertise is resolving. Casting your free spell is one of the effects of the Expertise, so you have to go through the entire spellcasting process before you're done resolving your Expertise.
>>
If Doors of Night, Morgul Night, and Fog are all simultaneously active, what the fuck happens? I assume you don't get stuck in an endless loop of each Wilderness turning into a Shadow-Land and back forever, but neither is it clear which effects resolve first or what to do.
>>
>>51872934
So what happens is you have to Digivolve your benched Pokemon so you can Synchro Summon the pig, which you then floop.
>>
>>51872861
Okay. So, because of the way they're written, the Expertises basically go:

>step 1: effect
>step 2: free spell
>now Expertise is fully resolved and hits graveyard.

Right? Which is why Gatherer says on Baral's Expertise, "The card that you cast may be an artifact or creature that was returned to your hand by this spell."

I'm sorry if I'm annoying, I just want to make sure I get these things right (I'm the resident Rules Guy for my Commander playgroup)
>>
>>51873028
Right! And no, you're not annoying at all. You perform the effects in the order they're written, and once ALL of the effects have been executed (or skipped, for effects you can't do), then the spell is done resolving and goes to the graveyard.
>>
>>51873079
Thanks, gA, you're very helpful.
>>
File: JFK.gif (4MB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
JFK.gif
4MB, 512x384px
>>51873175
I try!
>>
>>51868059
Oh my bad, I was referring to pure control in constructed
>>
File: 1447369118754.jpg (159KB, 1600x903px) Image search: [Google]
1447369118754.jpg
159KB, 1600x903px
>>51834825
I don't understand how Dredge works... or why Life from the Loam is so powerful...
>>
>>51876444
So, Dredge will always have a number after it. For example, Life from the Loam has Dredge 3. What that means is that any time you WOULD draw a card, you can instead put the top 3 cards of your library into your graveyard and return Life from the Loam to your hand. It basically lets you trade a card draw for a guaranteed, specific card from your graveyard, at the cost of milling a few cards.

Dredge, the deck, utilizes big dredge cards like Golgari Grave-Troll and Stinkweed Imp to fill their graveyard with things like Narcomebas, Ichorids, Prized Amalgams, etc, creatures they can get back for free, for various purposes.

Life from the Loam is strong because it's repeatably useful. With just one or two fetchlands, it can ensure that you're constantly hitting your land drops until you're at the point you need.
>>
File: 1457994537446.png (23KB, 140x160px) Image search: [Google]
1457994537446.png
23KB, 140x160px
>>51876578
I see now, so it's more of an "enabler", thanks gA!
>>
>>51876844
More or less! When your deck is built to use your graveyard like a second hand, Dredge basically reads "Draw 6", which I believe in the common vernacular would be referred to as 'bucking fonkers'.
>>
>>51867929
thopthopthop
>>
Does sudden spoiling get rid of all keyword abilities?
>>
File: mardu.jpg (155KB, 480x680px) Image search: [Google]
mardu.jpg
155KB, 480x680px
Why is this card so fucking awesome?
>>
>>51877683
It gets rid of all abiltiies, period. Keyword, ability word, static abilities, EVERYTHING.

Mostly

>>51877692
Because dude, horseback archers.
>>
>>51877742
But stuff like can't be blocked or can only be blocked by one creature?
>>
>>51877798
Well, that depends. Did the creature have an ability saying that it can't be blocked, or an ability saying it can only be blocked by one creature? If so, that's removed.

If it was an effect that made that so, it isn't. So Sudden Spoiling would make an Invisible Stalker blockable, but it wouldn't work on a Runeclaw Bear that you hit with Artful Dodge, because that didn't give it an ability.
>>
>>51877878
And with that, I'll be heading to bed. More thread tomorrow!

Or maybe a new one, this one's been going on for two days so I have no clue if it'll survive until the morning.
>>
>>51877878
So a creature printed with an ability such as invisible stalker would lose hexproof and unblockable (can't be blocked) but grizzly bear with let's say armadillo cloak would only lose trample and retain the gain life part?

Also if it had unflinching courage it would lose everything?
>>
Had this scenario come up with my group last night for Commander, would like to know what happens:

If Grace is voted with Magister of Worth, and, from mine and someone elses graveyards, a bunch of Allies enter the field, how do they trigger? I thought it'd be they all sit on the field at the same time (since Magister is a mass-summon effect) triggering all of their Rally effects at once for the maximum values, for each Ally that hit at the same time (so 4 Halimar Excavators hitting at once trigger 4 mill, 4 times, each, for a total of 64 cards).

And, as we had 2 Ally players, since it was still my priority from Magister resolving,all of my Ally effects would go off before the opponents giving me the win from Kalastria Healer, right? Or would my effects resolve, then the opponents, forcing a draw?
>>
>>51878006
Abilities triggering all at the same time go on the stack in APNP order. So it matters whose turn it is. Also, priority doesn't mean your stuff happens first, it just means that when the stack is empty, the active player gets to do stuff first.

If YOU Cast the Magister of Worth, your triggers will go on the stack first, then the triggers of the player whose turn it is next, then the player whose turn it is after that, and so on. Then the triggers resolve like normal.

What this means is that if the turn order looks like this: You->Bob->Charlie->Dave and it's your turn,
then the triggers resolve like this: Dave->Charlie->Bob->You.
>>
>>51878134
So that means that, while my Allys would technically be hitting for a lot at once, the opposing Ally player, who would be higher on the stack, would kill me anyway?
>>
>>51877929
>armadillo cloak
Correct.
>unflinching courage
Also correct.

Though do note, both those auras and Sudden Spoiling apply the "give/take ability" thing they do in the same layer, layer 6. That means they're applied in timestamp order. So if you played the cloak and then after it resolved the other guy spoiled, no trample. If the other guy spoiled and then you cloaked something, trample.

>>51878006
>a bunch of Allies enter the field, how do they trigger?
All at once, baby. You thought correctly, each one would see itself and all the others enter.

>And, as we had 2 Ally players, since it was still my priority from Magister resolving,all of my Ally effects would go off before the opponents giving me the win from Kalastria Healer, right?
Triggers are put onto the stack in Active Player - Non Active Player order.
That means that whoever's turn it is, that person puts their triggers on the stack, then the dude who'd take the next turn, then the next guy, etc.
Then the stack would resolve in the opposite order.

In this case, whoever put their shit on the stack last would go off (and likely win) first.
>>
I have a spell queller that exiled a spell, and I cast an eldrazi processor like Wasteland Strangler to move the exile card to my opponent's graveyard. They then kill/bounce my Spell Queller after the card was processed.
Do they still get to cast the spell without paying its mana cost, or is that spell no longer considered because it was processed?
>>
>>51879512
Nope, they can't. the ability tries to find the spell in exile and can't.
>>
>>51834825
Is using a calculator during a match allowed?
Last Friday it took my opponent and I 5+ minutes to figure out the result of Gifted Aetherborne blocking the Green Gearhulk.
>>
>>51881980
yes
>>
>>51877929
Correct, because the lifegain trigger is on Armadillo Cloak, rather than being an ability granted to the creature, whereas Unflinching Courage gives Lifelink to the creature, which is an ability, which is turned off by Spoiling.

>>51878006
Everyone picks their creature in turn order, then all of them come back simultaneously. The Active Player will place all their triggers on the stack in the order of their choosing, then each Non-Active Player does the same in turn order. If you ALL brought back a Halimar Excavator, each of you would place your triggers onto the stack in that order. Also, most Rally triggers only look at how many Allies you control, not how many there are total

If it was your turn, and you were counting on your Healer triggers to save you from theirs, you gonna die.
>>
File: do it again.png (138KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
do it again.png
138KB, 223x311px
what's the difference between dlord kolaghan and 'then do it again'?
>haste, other creatures you control have haste
>creatures you control have haste
is it just a clarity thing so that newer players grok that the creature itself has haste? seems to be a thing on newer cards.
>>
>>51878172
In a nutshell.

>>51879512
They don't, because the trigger is only looking for the exiled card, which no longer exists.

>>51881980
There's no rule specifically against it, but there ARE rules against taking an excessive amount of time to take actions.

>>51882597
It may be that, but it's also because technically D-Lord Kokakola has Haste in other zones, while Wanderer doesn't; it would enable haste on Soulflayer or Cairn Wanderer, while Maelstrom Wanderer wouldn't
>>
File: anal.png (131KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
anal.png
131KB, 223x311px
>>51882809
>Kokakola
you have insulted my religion

if I control zendikar resurgent and dismal blackwater, can i tap it for ub or is it only tapping for uu/bb
does this change if i also control chromatic lantern? can my lands now tap for two mana in any combination of colors or can they only tap for two mana of the same color?
>>
>>51883043
It's says "produced", not "could produce", so no mixing & matching. If you tap for blue, you Produced one blue mana so it makes a second.

Now if you were to tap, say, a Gruul Turf for RG, you could add your choice of an extra red or green.
>>
>>51883043
>produced
So only UU/BB
>>
File: Shapeshifter.jpg (36KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Shapeshifter.jpg
36KB, 223x310px
It says somewhere in the rules that all chosen numbers must be non-negative integers, right?
>>
>>51883517
and yes I'm aware of the oracle text, I'm more interested in exploring when non-integer numbers are allowed in Magic
>>
>>51883043
UU or UB. You get one of whatever it -did- make, not what it -could- make.

>>51883162
Correct.

>>51883517
You want Rule 107.1. Specifically, 107.1c

107.1c. If a rule or ability instructs a player to choose "any number," that player may choose any positive number or zero, unless something (such as damage or counters) is being divided or distributed among "any number" of players and/or objects. In that case, a nonzero number of players and/or objects must be chosen if possible.
>>
>>51883561
>UU or UB.
guessing that was a typo my man
>>
Whups, thought I was in the Amonkhet thread. Continue on!
>>
>>51883561
>any positive number or zero
As written, unless "number" is clarified elsewhere, that doesn't rule out all rational or even irrational numbers so long as they are positive.

Unfortunately, since it's written as "positive" and not "non-negative," my plan of combo'ing imaginary numbers with damage doublers, infinite recursion, and the shortcut rule won't work :/
>>
Trading post and springjack pasture are available to everyone(no color restriction) even though they can produce white goat token, right?
>>
>>51883579
It was, I can't brain before 10 AM.

>>51883620
I imagine clans- we've already 'seen' Kaseto, so we know the Orochi exist and are still a unified race. I feel like there'd still be SOME Shinto with it, because there's an honest-to-god Animist in the Gatewatch, so even if they aren't currently hostile, a plane where literally everything has a spirit would have to intrigue Nissa.

I don't think they'd go full-on shonen, so I think Sengoku would be more likely. If we ever revisit it.

>>51883680
107.1. The only numbers the Magic game uses are integers.

107.1a. You can't choose a fractional number, deal fractional damage, gain fractional life, and so on. If a spell or ability could generate a fractional number, the spell or ability will tell you whether to round up or down.

107.1b. Most of the time, the Magic game uses only positive numbers and zero. You can't choose a negative number, deal negative damage, gain negative life, and so on. However, it's possible for a game value, such as a creature's power, to be less than zero. If a calculation or comparison needs to use a negative value, it does so. If a calculation that would determine the result of an effect yields a negative number, zero is used instead, unless that effect sets a player's life total to a specific value, doubles a player's life total, sets a creature's power or toughness to a specific value, or otherwise modifies a creature's power or toughness.

Whomp whomp.

>>51883726
Correct. Color identity cares only about mana symbols in rules text, mana symbols in mana costs, and color indicators. It doesn't care about color -words- at all.
>>
I'm iffy on how priority works, especially during combat where I like playing Instant-speed stuff.

If my opponent attacks in (on their turn, obviously), and I want to blow up a creature, but I want to wait until after I see if they're going to pump it, do I have an opportunity to do so? Or do I miss my chance by virtue of waiting in the first place?
>>
>>51885335
You can wait to see if something gets pumped. After you have declared blockers, the active player gets priority. If they pass without doing anything, you get priority. If you pass without adding anything to the stack, you move directly to the combat damage step and damage starts getting dealt.

However, the opponent also gets to see if you blow any of his creatures up. If you blow your removal on a creature after you've seen that he doesn't intend to pump anything up, they can react to it, or even wait for the creature to get removed, then pump shit up. You only move to the combat damage step after every player has passed priority in succession while the stack is empty.
>>
>>51885335
Your opponent is the Active Player in this scenario, so they pretty much have to 'tip their hand' here. You can wait to see if they're going to pump their creature, in the sense that they have priority first in each step, so they have to either pump it and then pass, or pass and hope that you have a response. If they swing with a 2/2, you don't block, and they pass, and then you pass... they can't pump their guy.

Does that make sense?
>>
>>51885405
>>51885451
That takes a great deal of stress off my mind. I do 90% of my play in the combat steps these days, so that makes things much easier for me.

Thanks mates.
>>
>>51834825
I have a Winding Constrictor and a Corpsejack Menace on the battle field, then I play Walking Ballista for 1. Does it come in as a 3/3 or a 4/4?
>>
>>51885930
Yes

What we have here is three replacement effects. The first one is Walking Ballista's, replacing 'enter the battlefield' with 'enter the battlefield with 1 +1/+1 counter'. The second is Countersnek wanting to replace "one or more counters being placed on a creature you control" with "that many plus one counters instead", and Corpsejack Menace wants to replace "one or more +1/+1 counters being placed on a creature you control" with "Twice that many instead". We apply Ballista's first, obv, so now we have two: one wants to add a counter, one wants to double.

So, when you have multiple replacement effects wanting to apply to the same event (as we do here), the controller of the affected object (that'd be you) chooses which to apply first. In this case, whichever you apply, the other one applies after it, because it still can. So you can either double 1 counter to 2, then add an additional one for a total of 3, or you can add an additional one and then double 2 to 4.
>>
>>51883517
In silver border land you can choose 1/2s for numbers but still not any other fractions.
>>
>>51886153
We don't go to Ravenholm.
>>
>>51885998
On a related note, what happens when a Thalia's Lieutenant hits the field simultaneously with, say, a second Thalia's Lieutenant, as a result of a flicker.
>>
>>51886427
Each of them will trigger themselves, and the other Lieutenant. So they come in as 1/1s, get a counter from themselves, and a counter from the OTHER Lieutenant. End result: pair of 3/3s.
>>
>>51886441
Slow afternoon.
>>
>>51835499
git gud
>>
>>51876578

rip ggt tho
>>
File: RFF.jpg (9KB, 180x180px) Image search: [Google]
RFF.jpg
9KB, 180x180px
As a judge if you knew of someone acquiring chinaman cards, what obligations (if any) would you be under regarding this information? Asking for a friend.
>>
>>51894017
None. If it was someone I didn't know super well, I'd heavily advise them to not try to play them in events, I'd probably do deck checks on them with MUCH more scrutiny for a good while, and if I didn't trust them a lot I'd advise my locals to be wary in trades. If it was one of my friends, dope-slap.

Bedtime!
>>
>>51894086
Cheers. Sleep well, mate.
Thread posts: 227
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.