[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much does it suck to be forced to DM if you want to play?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

How much does it suck to be forced to DM if you want to play? I've tried to start 3 different groups in the past 3 years with nerdy friends, but somehow I ALWAYS have to DM or we just never play. It's the worst.
>>
>>51829410
Welcome to the Brotherhood of ForeverDM's anon.
You can get your complimentary business cards at the catering table.
>>
>>51829435
I just want to play (´・ω・`)
>>
>>51829410
All of those characters you have written up, a good 80% of them better than anything your players will ever come up with ever? Shelf 'em.
You really want to explore how an elf would tackle this pirate campaign? Better hope someone thought like you did.
You want to experience a story in which you do not know all of the branching paths beforehand? hahaha.
Pull up a chair, anon. You're here forever, until the day you quit tabletop.
The icing on this curse cake? One day, you may actually get to be a player in another person's game. But by this time, you will be so stuck in your methods that half the shit they do will trigger you, and you won't have fun.
>>
>>51829581
Honestly, I just want any of my friends to try it. I would help them so much, I would be an exemplary player. I can make them like it. I can feel myself dying slowly.
>>
File: That feel Identifying Feel.jpg (75KB, 454x600px) Image search: [Google]
That feel Identifying Feel.jpg
75KB, 454x600px
Best to just get used to it. Even if you do manage to get into another game, the taint of Forever DM hangs with you.

You'll find it harder and harder to play as a player in games, because you'll just be thinking how the DM could have handled it better
>>
>>51829581
>>51829706
I feel like I wouldn't be so upset, but my friends rolled up cardboard boxes for characters. Then they get upset when they are in dungeons for a while, because that's the only thing their characters can do. Kill meeeeeeeee.
>>
>>51829730
Why don't you create more social encounters then rather than putting them in dungeons. And if they have to go into a dungeon, make it smaller (3-4 encounters/puzzles/exploration problems)
>>
>>51830320
I've tried doing that recently. I got some positive reactions, but only one of them actually gets into character, the others just tell him what to say. I'm just gonna start having NPCs address everyone else directly.
>>
>>51829410
> create a scenario where the party must get to important point A fast
> clone the PC's party
> the PC's must get past various hindrances to get to the spot
> no single-solution hindrances, make them all resource-suckers
> use pursuers to harry the party along, to keep them from maintaining 100% resources

>after each session, evaluate the encounter using your clone party
> decide what you would do differently, see if it works

> when the party arrives at the point, they come upon your clone party
> both sides are surprised
> assign similar resource levels to clone party
> if they win, they bested your best squad, top honors.
> if you win, its ok because you basically beat them with their own characters
that way you still sort of get to play.
>>
File: 1467434048073.png (505KB, 500x678px) Image search: [Google]
1467434048073.png
505KB, 500x678px
>>51829410
It's.... difficult to explain in a single word.
>>
>>51829410
I prefer DMing anyway. It of course depends on the players. If I get some that actually want to engage with the world around them all is well. Getting a group of kill+loot-crazy fuckwits who can't be assed to say a single in-character sentence is hell.
>>
It's kind of sad how right >>51829581 is.

Recently, I've actually gotten to a myriad of games, all 5e for some reason (haven't played 5e before this, so this flood is kind of weird). Anyway, I have no intention to DM 5e, ever, but still I have the taint of the ForeverGM.

In my case, it's more of the attitude I have toward playing. I build my player characters like NPC:s, I am either silent (waiting for others to shut up before I talk) or disruptive (used to being the one who talks most of the time) and I struggle to roleplay characters on anything but the most superficial level (you know, the "GM Roleplays this character they never expected to need to" type of shit).
>>
File: ridehasnotbegun.jpg (29KB, 720x478px) Image search: [Google]
ridehasnotbegun.jpg
29KB, 720x478px
>>51829410
Oh anon, summer child, you are only now recognizing the truth of your situation. Come ride with me in the Flumph-pulled Chariot, across the Rivers of Ink and Blood to the Land of Graph Paper, where we ForeverDMs dwell resplendent in our Castle of Regrets.

Given your image of choice you may wish to peruse the hall of Killer GMs to learn Zero's ways.

>>51829581
>You want to experience a story in which you do not know all of the branching paths beforehand? hahaha.
This one you can do. Learn to fly by the seat of your pants and either have an insane enough group or drive them insane. The Old Man Hendersen types can be real boons.

>>51834319
>I build my player characters like NPC:s, I am either silent (waiting for others to shut up before I talk) or disruptive (used to being the one who talks most of the time) and I struggle to roleplay characters on anything but the most superficial level (you know, the "GM Roleplays this character they never expected to need to" type of shit).
This is totally true though. I especially veer silent in the rare instances I play in another game (usually, say, online which makes it even worse) because there's a fine line between not being stuck in speaking when spoken to and re-entering GM mode and I'm kind of self-conscious about doing the latter to someone.
>>
>>51829410
it doesn't. As DM I can do whatever the fuck I want, whenever the fuck I want.
>>
>>51835145
I guess that's one way to not be the ForeverDM
>>
>>51830369
Well, you've got something of a face. growth may come. It may be slow and painful.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.