[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Modern General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 338
Thread images: 27

File: DELVER.png (481KB, 636x358px) Image search: [Google]
DELVER.png
481KB, 636x358px
MtG Modern General Masters edition

How do you feel about the masters sets?

How do you feel about the current meta?

Anything that should be banned/unbanned?

Baleful strix in modern?

RESOURCES
Current Modern Metagame
http://mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

DATABASES
magiccards.info
gatherer.wizards.com

READINGS
Evolution of death's shadow in modern
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/deck-evolutions-death-s-shadow-modern
>>
>>51826825
NO SPOILER?

NO BUY!
>>
>>51826825

Master sets blow and do basically nothing.
>but Goyf down to 110$.
Wee

Meta is fine, I guess. Whatever. No better or worse than most past metas.

Nothing should be un/banned.

Baleful Strix would probably be fine.
>>
>>51826825
>How do you feel about the masters sets?
They are a fucking failure and designed them deserves get thrown in a oven.

>How do you feel about the current meta?
I feel that we have a very wide variety of good decks, the problem is too many people seem to gravitate towards GBx Midrange decks and URx "Control"™ and as a result the format feels very stale. When was the last time you played against fish? I haven't seen it in over a year, and that makes me sad.

>Anything that should be banned/unbanned?
Preordain is probably safe to unban. Without Git Probe, Storm is shit so unbanning it is hardly a controversial action... I think.

SFM would be an easy unban, after all 90% of decks run some kind of artifact hate in the SB

I wanna say Unban Wallet sculptor, because control in modern is a joke, but frankly I wasn't around to play during the cawblade era so I may be underestimating how powerful he is

Twin doesn't really deserve to be on the ban list, the only reason it made up 12% of the meta was because of all the Spikes from reddit who think that playing blue makes their penis bigger, and the lack of good spells to counter it. Now we have all sorts of stuff to make Twin eat dirt, no reason to keep it on the list. If you are really so scared of it, ban Exarch that way all the cards are bolt-able

>Baleful strix in modern?
Yes please. I don't even play blue, but I think it'd be a great addition to the cardpool.
>>
>>51826825
>Masters set
OG inistrad and return to ravnica, right? It's just going to be an augmented cube. WU will be "DUDE CONTROL AND FLIERS LMAO," for example. BR will be "dude vampires," WB will be "dude lifegain lmao" Maze's End will be in, as they'll be using the gates as mana fixing. Shocks are in too, so that's 10/53 rares
>>
>>51827174
They need to be careful with Preordain because of Infect. It would be interesting to see if Preordain could get Delver to T1. I also want to see what would happen to the format if Delver became T1.
>>
>>51827703

I wish we had access to Ponder or Brainstorm more than Preordain. It feels sad playing Serum Visions after getting to play with those two spells.
>>
File: HopesAndDreamsAreDead.jpg (45KB, 386x393px) Image search: [Google]
HopesAndDreamsAreDead.jpg
45KB, 386x393px
>>51827610

>Maze's End will be in, as they'll be using the gates as mana fixing

oh god they would do that, wouldn't they?
>>
>>51827610
I mean, as someone who owns four shocklands, I'd buy a box just for the bonus of cracking some of those.
>>
File: ;-;.png (133KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
;-;.png
133KB, 223x311px
>>51827703
This always made me wonder, why no one use Telling Time.

Because it costs 2 mana? But it is instant speed, puts card in your hand, one on top and last one on the bottom.

And even if your picks from it are, crack your fetch before drawing second card to shuffle the library and the top card with it.
>>
>>51827849
from it are bad*
>>
>>51827784
Brainstorm would be such a cool card, but were it legal literally every blue deck would run it. Being able to get rid of two bad cards in hand via a fetch, or using it to avoid getting a combo piece taken away by a thoughtseize. Too fucking good.
>>
>>51826825
10/10 idea, 2/10 execution.

At least it isn't as bad as standard.

InB4 ban cheerios.
>>
>>51827817
But anon, Fun Draft Environment. The mythics will probably be out of the ravnica guilds (Voice of Resurgence, Aurelia, Blood Baron, Domri Rade, OG Olivia, Lazav, Ral Zarek, Progenitor Mimic, Vraska, Bruna), with 5 mythics left. Maze's End, Lily, Snappy, Grizzlbrand and Craterhoof. YOU'RE GETTING MYTHIC SNAPPY AND YOU'RE GOING TO LIKE IT GODDAMMIT.

Basically, just make a cube, take out interesting cards, throw in a small smattering of reprints to make people get slightly hyped and you got MM2017
>>
File: A healthy meta.png (17KB, 342x872px) Image search: [Google]
A healthy meta.png
17KB, 342x872px
Modern's meta is fine
There is nothing wrong with this.
>>
>>51828199
Please do not use top 8's shitty fucking categorization system to talk about Modern.
>>
>>51827849
I've used it years ago before switching go grixis. It might be fine in red blue delver but on turn 2 I'd rather be holding up counters to protect delver/my face or using cantrips to get an early tasigur.
>>
>>51828229
I keep seeing people complain about it; what's wrong with the way they categorize it?
Genuinely curious, I'm pretty new to competitive magic
>>
>>51828389
click on eldrazi aggro and realize they include eldrazi tron in the category. Not to mention they name and classify decks incorrectly
>>
>>51828498
>eldrazi tron
>not aggro
>>
>>51828972
>implying eldrazi tron isn't control
>inb4 combo tron fags show up
>>
>>51829070
Which part is control? The all is dust? The turn 2 thought knot?
Funny
>>
>>51829110
It was a joke, but the deck sure as fuck isn't aggro anon.
>>
>>51829146
Turn 2 4/4 with turn 3 5/5 haste trample seems pretty aggressive
>>
>>51828389
A lot of fuckups. Mixup of Death's Shadow decks and UR decks, MonoW Hatebears GW Hatebears and MonoW Eldrazi, shitty naming conventions, etc.

Basically if a deck has any variants you can be sure it's not properly being represented.
>>
>>51826825
>tfw when you Lunar Force with a Living End suspended with one time counter left after he spent last turn Maelstrom Pulse'ing your Nevermore
I've had blowjobs less great.
>>
>>51829169
Yeah because Karn, All is dust, Batterskull and mind stone are staples of aggressive decks right? Expedition map and endbringer are pretty aggressive cards too, can't forget about them.

Just because the deck can curve out with a nut hand does not mean it's aggro.
>>
>>51829227
They are if you're casting them immediately
>>
>>51830109
>If you cast things fast you're aggro
>>
>>51831385
Tron is literally aggro, how else do you define turn 3 worldbreakers and worm coil engines? eldrazi tron is just a more balls out aggro tron deck.
>>
>>51828199
Do people actually consider infect a combo deck?
I see it listed under combo on a lot of sites, but most people I've asked in person consider it aggro
>>
>>51831385
Yes. If you kill your opponent on turn 3-4 you are certainly not control
>>
>>51831493
It and Death's Shadow are literally combo decks that play like aggro decks.
>>
How do I stop loving this awful game? I feel like I'm stuck in an abusive relationship.
>>
>>51831461
>how else do you define turn 3 worldbreakers and worm coil engines
Stabilization, Gx Tron has literally more sweepers and stabilization mechanisms than actual finishers. Nothing Karn does can win the game. I fucking hate when people think Tron plays anything like monobrown beatdown.
>>
>>51827849
Because you are playing a tempo deck and you're not looking for a cmc2 card
>>
>>51826825
YES

P L E A S E
>>
>>51827849
Because it's 2 mana. There's a reason lightning Bolt is amazing and lightning strike is bad
>>
>DREDGE IS DEAD, OMG GUIS, DREDGE IS DED!!! NO MORE TROLL!! DED!!!!!
>Everyone removed all grave hate entirely and forgot it even exists
>2nd and 3rd places in GP is Dredge
>4th is fucking Living End on a tight budget in played condition cards.
>>
>>51828199
>Tron
>Control
>>
Sultai snake tribal when?
>>
Is modern dying?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsflkqiTsNo

How meme this deck is from 1 to 10?
>>
>>51833729
Yes. It's losing competitive support and frontier was made to replace it.
>>
>>51833430
Obviously it's aggro! It wins by attacking with wurmcoils and Nulamog
>>
>>51833729
It's as dead as any Eternal format.
>>51834035
>Frontier was made to replace Modern
So, you believe that a non-WotC run store in Japan, who came up with Frontier - made it to replace Modern?

Or do you believe that Frontier will take over Modern by sheer fact of existing, when not a single side event of Frontier has managed to launch, as not fucking one of them got even 8 players?

Take your trash format and shove it down your throat, even Standard has a healthier meta than your wannabe format.
>>
>>51833772

Seems fun. Would play with Steel Overseers even tho I know its slow.
>>
>>51831785
Gx Tron is control for sure but Eldrazi Tron is monobrown beatdown. Karn and All is Dust are only 1-2 ofs. The deck only plays Expedition Map for a cantrip (Mind Stone sorta counts). All of its best draws involve fast Seers/Smashers. etc
>>
>Masters Sets
I liked EMA for drafting and getting EDH staples. Plus I got lucky and opened foil Shardless Agent + Maze of Ith. Modern Masters drafts have never been that fun for me and the EV is shit. If they don't reprint Zen fetches then I won't touch it.

>Current Meta
As a Titanshift player I'm afraid of Death's Shadow Jund being the new thing. As far as overall health I'm happy with it. If you're a reasonably skilled pilot then you can do well at a tournament with a good deck given that the field is so diverse.

>Bans/Unbans
Unban Probe and Stoneforge, ban Batterskull

>Baleful Strix
Meh. If we're talking about supplemental set products in Modern, I'd much rather see Shardless Agent or Toxic Deluge
>>
>>51833430
>deck that cares about nothing more than controlling the board with big mana plays and has 1-2 finishers as opposed to 10-12 cards that reads don't lose and maintain board control
>not control
>>
>>51835470
>Eldrazi Tron
>"""'Control""""
wew
>>
>>51835494
I'm talking about Gx, which still makes up the majority of tron decks listed under mtgtop8.
>>
>>51835502
still aggro desu, using worldbreaker to exile blockers and swing is pretty aggressive.
>>
>>51835543
Why the fuck would you swing with World Breaker?
>>
>>51834035
Almost every frontier event at gp Vancouver failed to find enough players
>>
>all this people wanting fetches to be reprinted on a limited print run set that also has overinflated value and has lees booster packs per boxes
autismintesifies.jpg
>>
>>51836182
Zen fetches are going the way of damnation, will only get reprinted if wotc needs something to sell, they're not going to waste the """reprint equity""' on MM because they know they could print literal garbage and it would sell.
>>
>>51835123
>Toxic Deluge
yeah, nah. you're a cunt.
>>
File: allegations.png (16KB, 1536x864px) Image search: [Google]
allegations.png
16KB, 1536x864px
>>51834035
WHERE ARE PROOFS
>>
File: Hatebears.png (30KB, 631x335px) Image search: [Google]
Hatebears.png
30KB, 631x335px
Updated my Mono-White Hatebears, any suggestions?
>>
>>51836621
brimaz is shit. play mirran crusader.
>>
>>51827849
serum visions does the same thing
>>
>>51836681

>both swing for 4
>brimaz doesn't die to bolt
>brimaz gives you token card advantage
>brimaz can swing for 4 and chump block next turn

I know you run mirran crusader in your mono white humans but brimaz is head and shoulders above it

crusader just dodges black removal
>>
>>51836766
I agree with you but crusader also doesn't get brick walled by goyf
>>
>>51836953

I have 2 crusaders in the sideboard, I really like him but I have no idea what I'd cut for him, 2 Serra Avengers? Doesn't seem great.

Brimaz has gotta stay
>>
>>51826825

Overpriced core sets.

Slightly surprised about Death's Shadow's populaity after probe's banning

gib back preordain/ponder

Yes pls.
>>
>>51836621
Your build looks really similar to my own, only advice is you really could use something to help get more value from Thraben Inspectors. I've been having great success with a couple of Anthem effects in the 75 as per Craig Wescoe's recent list; a couple Honor of the pure or Gideon AoZ. Either makes the control matchup a cakewalk, and Gideon can pull double duty to help in GBx matchups
>>
>>51836953

If you're worried about goyf stopping your attacks you should be more worried about bolt killing your crusader so he can get in
>>
>>51834780
>>51833772

Add some maindeck Spellskites and its a thing.
>>
File: cwpLQ6Z.jpg (167KB, 400x1179px) Image search: [Google]
cwpLQ6Z.jpg
167KB, 400x1179px
Fine I guess, but it's much better when staples get printed in conspiracy

The modern meta is always a joke, just play what you like and have experience with

Unban jace and bbe
No bans

Lmao delver is bad enough already
>>
>>51839294
>delver is bad enough already
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>51839391
delver is not a good modern deck
baleful strix shits on delvers
>>
File: 1484636990392.png (737KB, 1280x786px) Image search: [Google]
1484636990392.png
737KB, 1280x786px
>>51839399
>Because delver does not run strix
>>
>>51826825
The masters sets don't actually lower prices, because wizards refuses to print things at appropriate rarities. if wizards followed their own rarity guidelines, tarmogoyf would be uncommon. But that would lower the price of collections.

Anyways, here's how to fix Modern Masters:

>unlimited print run
>duals and fetches at uncommon
>snapcaster, goyf, and liliana of the veil at rare
>jace the mind sculptor at mythic, along with an unbanning.
>fuck it just print cabal therapy in there too, I know it isn't modern legal, but make it modern legal if printed in modern masters
>>
>>51839429
even if a delver deck runs strix you still don't want to play against it, it trades with all of your dudes

and you probably wouldn't maindeck strix
>>
>>51839439
EMA lowered some prices. Still waiting on port though.
>>
>>51839458
Every BU deck would run strix.>>51839484
>>
>>51839399
>2cmc = spell snare
>1 toughness dies to literally any removal spell in grixis delver
>grixis delver can just run it too
I don't know if shit's on is the right word there anon.
>>
>>51839439
>Cabal therapy
modern does not need that
modern needs counterspell and daze
>>
>>51839609
>cheeri0s with daze to protect from removal
mmmm yes
also infect I guess
>>
>>51838957

I think I can cut 2 Avengers for 2 Honor of The Pure.

How do you feel about Selfless Spirit? I ran it originally but cut them for Thraben Inspector
>>
>>51839511
Not him, but spell snare is about only card good against it in delver. And it's pretty shit card overall being too narrow. If delver ends up using removal to baleful strix, it's actually more value for strix player. Why would delver want to play the card, it's 1 power, you are not the one who wants to play on defense. You should be the one hitting 1 drop clock on board and defend it to keep initiate, isn't that the wwhole point of the deck?

Baleful strix is one of the best cards against "fair" beater decks. There is reason it's played in legacy.
>>
>>51839391
delver is pretty weak in the current meta, I don't except it to stay tier 2 much longer unless something changes.
>>
No twin? No deal.
BBE, SFM,JTMS and twin, obviously.
Hell yea.
>>
>>51841649
Maybe if you're still a pleb on grixis
>>
>>51841786
grixis is objectively the best delver variant. if grixis has trouble staying tier 2, imagine what tier the worse delver decks will be.
>>
>>51841819
>objectively
How so? It's so similar to bad jund. It has the same bad matchups
>>
>>51841786
>>51841819
Not that guy but temur delver is super slept on.
I played against it online and in Brisbane and it seems very good
>>
>tfw got meme'd into buying modern jeskai piles
someone give me a list to start with
>>
>>51842047
The copycat deck that top32 the recent GP
It's fun
>>
Why is whir of invention so fun?
Whir for Pithing needles
Whir for ensnaring Bridge
Whir for Thopter sword
Whir for torpor orb
>>
>>51842585
Give me your list, I want to give this a try
>>
>>51842585
Meh, can't grab tarmogoyfs
>>
>>51842585
Costing UUU seems like it would be too slow.
>>
>>51833772

love the concept. needs some finetuning,though

I'm considering building one myself, any suggestions on what to change?
>>
Why don't control decks run a couple deprive?

Does the land bounce really matter when they have like ten fucking lands out late game? Seems worth it for a hard counter
>>
>>51842844
Logic Knot is usually better
>>
>>51842844
Turns 1-4 are the most critical in memedern, and where using deprive hurts the most. And if you're in 3 colors bouncing a shockland hurts.
>>
>>51842661
https://deckstats.net/deck-12465264-464a389356398965c45a54e1992d7518.html

think twice are flex slots, haven't tested against the new death shadow. OG Tron is the worst match-up, eldrazi tron is much more manageable.
>>
>>51842911
>OG Tron is the worst match-up
I just automatically assume this of any deck that interests me at this point
>>
>>51843041
>I just automatically assume this of any deck that interests me at this point
I know this feel all too well. It fucking sucks
>>
>>51843041
Blame thopter tokens for being blue instead of colorless.
>>
>>51833414
>4th is fucking Living End on a tight budget in played condition cards.
That's wasn't a budget living end list. He had groves and blood moons. And outside of those it was a fairly stock list.
>>
I play tron, and your tears are delicious
>>
>>51843041
>>51843074
Not even a tron player but stop playing durdling garbage decks
>>
>>51843589
>I'm a mentally handicapped timmy and your tears are delicious
Ban Urza's tower
>>
>>51843589
>I have the most polarizing match ups in the entire format, I'm a real deck, please notice me
K
>>
>>51843803
>tron and jund are durdling garbage decks
>>
>>51843803
But I want to durdle
>>
>>51844265
*abzhan and jund
>>
>>51844321
Looking at recent tournament results, yes.
>>
>>51844295
Then fucking kill yourself
>>
>>51844509
>2 abzhan and 1 jund in Brisbane's top 16
>>
>>51844555
There's no h, retard
>>
Kill modern. Kill the speculators.
>>
>implying spellweaver helix wont be the next breakout deck

its like you want to lose
>>
File: image.jpg (31KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31KB, 223x310px
What are the odds of this seeing a reprint in MM17? I was thinking about offloading my 4 pack while they are still $60
>>
>>51845186
Odds are exactly, if the developers of the set considered it to be reprintable. It should be reprinted, but who the fuck knows.

>>51839609
I wouldn't mind having all three. Shame gitaxian probe was banned, but those would take the pyromancer deck far.

>>51833414
Did people really think dredge is dead? The deck basically revolves around loam/blood ghast to sustain games.
>>
>>51833772
meme as fuck. I watched this today and he faced soul sisters and some shitty splendid reclamation deck. Against any real deck it would either be too slow or they would play removal and kill you.

And of course, snek has infect kill you even faster.
>>
>>51845626
>infect
Sorry, which deck is this?
>>
>>51845186

Hopefully 100% because I need one.
>>
>>51846000
Infect.
>>
>>51846136
>one
Edh please leave
>>
>>51846204

My modern deck would only run one.
>>
>>51846222
So your wurmcoil doesn't get countered? Other then tron, no deck would run a singleton tribal land
>>
>>51846267
I need one for legacy 12 post... That only runs one.
>>
>>51846597
Sure. But this is modern
>>
>>51846000
Constrictor effectively gives your opponent's infect creatures an additional power.
>>
>tfw kinda want to build 8 rack even though I know it's a meme.
>>
>>51846162
>>51847111
That deck is kill
>>
>>51847258
They just replace Probe with more pump. It's still very much alive.
>>
is Esper Delve the best esper color deck atm?
>>
>>51847270
><1% of the meta
>alive
Its about as much alive as RUG Delver. Sure, you can do it, but don't expect to take any tournaments with it.
>>
>>51847279
What's Esper Delve?
>>
>>51847373
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/576125#paper

go 30th at GP Brisbane

granted Epser Narset did place a bit higher but I'd attribute that mostly to Liliana
>>
>>51827174
>last time you played against fish
>tfw I play fish

I'm always surprised at the shit I'm able to just slide under for no reason other than no one expects fish.

The question on my mind still is whether or not I should go ham on the blue moon aspect. Claims are nice because they're 1 mana, but unlike SS they don't cantrip. Is it worth losing potential lords/spells?
>>
I can get a box of EMA for $170 shipped. I get there's a ton of value variance with the bomb/shit mythics and rares, but is it generally worth that price to crack and phantom draft with some buddies?
>>
Mm17 spoilers fucking when
>>
>>51847606
No, not yet. With the shit show that was MM2, it should be shit again
>>51847690
Probably a week from release and it will all be garbage
>>
>>51847606
Do not buy this crap. People buying this shit is the reason why every Masters set has been full of hot fucking garbage.

What has to happen is that anybody in the possession of these packs needs to be called out as a shitlord who happily pays for trash. Then maybe, one day, we'll have an ideal Masters set full of good cards, 36 packs per box, regular MSRP, and print-to-demand. And hopefully Modern won't fucking keel over and die before that day comes.
>>
>>51847409
That's just Esper Mentor without Mentor

I would rather play Grixis Control or Esper Draw-Go or even Esper Transcendant
>>
>>51847751
The sad part here is this:
Because people bought MM1, like hot shit for "cheap" cost of 6dollars, it gave Wizards the signal this type of product will sell. And since second market was upping the price, they decided it can be sold for more than 6 dollars. Thanks to that they ended up with 10 dollar mrsp, but at least we got the product.

If it had not been selling, it wouldn't have ever got another round of master set. Shame they are pretty garbage for the price they are, but at least they are giving more supply to market..... Even though they are still so jewed out.

Honestly MM2017 was undraftable shit, but it doesn't seem to matter. People will buy it anyway.
>>
>wanted to jump modern after getting tired of Standard: The +1/+1 Countering
>"delver looks fun, maybe I'll get that"
>everyone shitting on it on this thread
What are alternatives that let me run a fast clock but have interaction?
>>
>>51848154
Death's shadow jund
>>
>>51847429
I say run them in the sideboard for when you are up against gay decks with greedy mana bases
>>
>>51834492
Frontier is literally a replacement for modern. The lack of original fetches is 100 times worse in japan because magic wasnt popular when the zendikar fetches were printed. The bottleneck that is killing modern prevented it from existing in japan. For them modern is like legacy/vintage and dual lands, they'll never ever get enough to sustain a viable playerbase.
>>
>>51844533
He doesnt have to, the tron players will before he gets the chance.
>>
You fucks thinking that Frontier was created to replace Modern are morons.

Frontier started because from M15 onwards was the largest print run of Japanese language cards in MTG sets. Prior to that the print run for MTG cards in Japanese was much smaller. It's because there's more cards in Japanese from M15 onwards is the ONLY reason why they started Frontier as a format.
>>
File: 1467987860790.jpg (57KB, 567x561px) Image search: [Google]
1467987860790.jpg
57KB, 567x561px
>no pro tour support
>LoL tier based bannings
>format staple "reprints" are getting worse
>WotC sucking //speculators// cock instead of making the format more accessible to everyone
>>
>>51849035
>>LoL tier based bannings
don't bans in mobas only last for a single game?
>>
>>51848669
Frontier has major issues. While not solved format, it's meta is pretty cancerous all thanks to collected company. You can't even go around crafting ban list for it and who knows if it dies before it ever gets to that point.

Also, japan has bigger legacy scene than europe.
>>
>>51849227
In LoL, there are two types of ban. There are the game bans, which players decide upon in draft. Then there's the unofficial hard ban, which happens every balance patch, as the top tier hero is nerfed to unplayability, so badly you will get reported by the toxic community for playing it. This is done to make way for the new hero that Riot just made, released in an OP state and ready for people to spend shekels on.

DotA has two bans as well. The player ban, and the officially removed from draft ban. The latter is done usually after a new hero is released, or an old one is reworked, and is official. It's just to give the community time to adjust to the changes before it becomes eligible for ranked play.
>>
>>51848154
Delver is fine, it's just not terribly great right now. You can get by in modern if you stick to a deck and learn it inside and out and that certainly applies to delver.
>>
>>51849494
>This is done to make way for the new hero that Riot just made, released in an OP state and ready for people to spend shekels on
>people keep saying this shit
I stopped playing League in 2015, since then there's a grand total of like 10 new champions released and more than half of them are considered shit. The community just keeps changing of favourite hamps since for some reason after one small nerf the old ones are now shit.
Magic the gathering.
>>
>>51849422
>meta not solved
>literally coco vs the world

eat a nuke faggot
>>
>>51848154
delver is pretty fun and works well in an FNM imo, just doesn't hold its own vs a diverse meta
>>
>>51844321

no h retard
>>
>>51842661
>i want to give this a whir

you fucking blew it
>>
When are we going to get some fucking card spoilers for MM17, not just the packaging?
>>
>>51850461
On monday spoilers officially start
>>
>>51850483

All right. Thanks, man.
>>
File: 4377_200w[1].jpg (28KB, 200x285px) Image search: [Google]
4377_200w[1].jpg
28KB, 200x285px
Someday, modern will be perfect.
>>
>>51850550
We already have that, it's called shocklands
>>
>>51850568
Unfortunately, that doesn't hit tron.
>>
>>51845186
"Muh draft environment"/10
>>
>>51850588
Cavern is fine in draft
It was in arguably the best draft of all time
>>
File: 1423196365957.jpg (63KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1423196365957.jpg
63KB, 480x480px
>ywn turn 3 BBE cascade into liliana ever again
>>
>>51850814
BBE died for deathrites sins
>>
>>51850586
And Burn is already favored vs (Gx) Tron so what the fuck.
>>
File: American Catlady.png (17KB, 359x930px) Image search: [Google]
American Catlady.png
17KB, 359x930px
>>51842047
I gotchu senpai
>>
>>51851942
I found out Vendilion clique is legendary while playing this the other day
just never noticed before
>>
>>51851967
I had some guy at the gp play two gaddock teeg then pass the turn.
It ended up costing him the game
>>
>>51850124
>delver is fine
>not a single grixis delver deck in the top 32 despite the deck being tier 2
>>
>>51852309
Any Wilson came in 32 and had 2 mainboard delver... In his fucking grixis control. Why, just why?
Delver is a terrible top deck. You want them immediately or not at all.
>>
>>51852309
Fatal push makes protecting your delver and winning with 3/2 beats a lot harder
>>
>>51852352
No it doesn't. There wasn't a lack of ways to deal with delver before. Fatal push is overhyped to shit.
Grixis delver is too slow for a delver deck imo
>>
Does any deck run Mentor in modern?
>>
>>51852407
Cheerios sometimes
>>
So has Tezz/Thoptersword put up any real results? I've been mucking around with it but haven't hit on anything that feels particularly powerful. Do I really want Chalices maindeck or is having Push and Thoughtseize better?
>>
>>51850608
>AVR
>Good for literally anything
>>
>>51852789
Fuck, I was thinking it was in Innistrad. Pretty sure I've just mentally blocked Avacyn Restored
>>
>>51852789

>forgetting cavern
>grislebrand
>resto angel
>>
>>51852993
Like I said
>>
>>51853039
Cavern is great, it fills my heart with joy when salty bluefags say it's overpowered
>>
>>51850822
More like Deathrite died for Lotv's sins

As soon as they changed the legend rule, LotV went from 2 copies to 4 and jumped up a bunch in value along with Mox Opal.

The most broken thing about Deathrite Shaman was it allowed for a turn 2 Liliana off a turn 1 basic Swamp. In a meta where Bogles was pretty popular iirc.

Hell, cascading into Deathrite Shaman with Bloodbraid Elf is utter shit. Kills all momentum and you would much rather have cascaded into Maelstrom Pulse.

Bloodbraid into Deathrite Shaman was getting wiped by mainboard Pyroclasms in Tron.
>>
>everyone playing fucking surgicals now

playing loam without instant speed draw is suffering
>>
>>51853286
Play noxious revival
>>
>>51853298

i have a singleton but it doesnt do enough to justify more
>having to hold it in hand just in case
fuck that
>playing blind dice rolling against my opponent boarding RIP or surgicals
this sucks
>>
>>51852771
>So has Tezz/Thoptersword put up any real results?
no
>>
File: growbots.jpg (156KB, 816x494px) Image search: [Google]
growbots.jpg
156KB, 816x494px
>take standard deck
>shove in modern staples
>it just werks
>>
File: emrakul_the_promised_end.png (125KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
emrakul_the_promised_end.png
125KB, 223x311px
Any other tron players trying out the new Emrakul? I'm really liking her. My meta has a fair amount of Scapeshift and Ad Naus, and she just shits all over them.
>>
>>51854073
What do you run for delirium, if anything?
>>
>>51854174
Eggs, fetches, ghsot quarters, instants, sorceries, karn, o stone etc
>>
>>51854217
Hmm. I'd prefer a planeswalker type that hit ssooner than Karn.

I wonder if tarfire is worth running as removal in tron.
>>
>>51854265
Turn 3 goes in the bin via opponents counter spell. Or you neg and they bolt. Done
>>
>>51854265
>I wonder if tarfire is worth running as removal in tron.
Wow. Just wow.
>>
>>51854265
Just play GB and use Brutality to pitch cards
>>
>>51854614
>>51854403
>>51854265
>>51854653
All is dust works. And collective brutality is a good idea.
>>
File: 1487796269714.jpg (442KB, 1279x1706px) Image search: [Google]
1487796269714.jpg
442KB, 1279x1706px
>>51826825
Wanted to ask a quick question guys, can someone sacrifice their welding jar to put a regenerate counter on springleaf drum, then sacrifice the drum for archbound? Does the regenerate save the leaf from the sacriface ability? Cause I thought it only saved from "destroy".

Another question, does natural state fail to destroy an inkmoth Nexus (when activated) B/c it has no man cost so doesn't fit the three mana cost or less condition?
>>
>>51854813
Only stops destroy. I don't see why you wouldn't just sac the jar to arcbound though
0 < 3
>>
>>51854813
You cannot regenerate sacrificed permanents.
Regenerate works by creating a replacement event that replaces the "destroy" event, with the regeneration effect.
Sacrifice isn't destroy, so the regenerate replacement event never happens.

Permanents with no mana cost have a CMC of 0.
>>
>>51854813
Regen cant protect against sac
>>
How fun to play would be esper evoke/blink type of deck with stuff like Muldrifters and Shriekmaws?
>>
>>51854974
Not very fun because you would lose most games
>>
>>51850124
>fine

Delver hasn't been in the top 20 of a GP for a year, I think.
>>
>>51845186
M Y T H I C C
Y
T
H
I
C
C
>>
>>51826825
I expect that drafting it will be as terrible as the EV from the packs.
Awful, extremely unhealthy.
Twin needs to be set free desu.
>>
File: FanArt-Taliyah-215-1.jpg (61KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
FanArt-Taliyah-215-1.jpg
61KB, 960x960px
>>51849494
It aint like you're wrong but i can't find another game even trying to let me be toph for a bit.
>>
>>51855400
Fucking twin fags
What's wrong with the meta? Just give reactive decks more tools and it's perfect. Boo hoo your deck is dead. Get over it
>>
>>51855510
Earth Spirit, Duh.
>>
If they actually put Liliana in MM17 she is going to have a secret rarity of a foiled mythic.
>>
Is there anything in green or red I can side in tooth and nail that fucks with other combo decks that go off faster than I do?
That really seems to be the worst match up for the deck besides "do nothing bit remove permanents"
>>
>>51855510

>Taliyah

good taste anon, I just wish Taliyah was blind like toph is
>>
>>51855791
Side into Ponza?
>>
>>51852381
As someone who plays fatal push, fuck you it is 100% living up to the hype
>>
>>51856085
Mono black shitters need not apply
>>
>>51852381
fatal push made abzan tier 1
>>
>>51856335
LOL no it fucking didn't. Meta shifts and grim flayer did
>>
>>51841875
Even without probe?
>>
>>51846222
Let me guess. Amulet?
>>
>>51856637
The probe ban sucks obviously but other cantrips are fine. I think they stopped playing disrupting shoal because it's much worse without info on their hand

The guy I was playing next leveled me with traverse the ulvenwald of all things. I'm not certain if that's standard but it was interesting for sure
>>
File: 3BB Draw your deck.jpg (34KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
3BB Draw your deck.jpg
34KB, 223x310px
I posted in the last thread about getting into modern, and someone suggested getting XMage and trying a few decks. So I did.
Shit, why doesn't everyone use it?
>>
>>51857023
I find people quit all the time. It's also prone to glitches
>>
Is there anything more fun than chaining remands and finishing off your opponent with bolt snap bolt?
>>
>>51857132
Not really. I mean I prefer some goyf beats into bolt-snap-bolt but you've got good taste nonetheless.
>>
>>51857039
Yeah, I guess I've found that too. People just quit if they're not sure they're going to win.
>>
>>51857132
torrential cryptic to bounce torrential back to your hand
>>
>>51857221
Kinda defeats the purpose of the gearhulk
>>
>>51857221
I've played eternal command before, about the same thing
>>
>>51857322
why win when you can just do stupid shit and still win?
>>
File: your wish has been granted.jpg (36KB, 600x406px) Image search: [Google]
your wish has been granted.jpg
36KB, 600x406px
Thinking about getting into Modern but shit like this has me feeling concerned about dropping a small fortune on cards.
>>
>>51858275
Why would this concern you? Would you feel more comfortable if he said he'll they'll ban cards all the time?
>>
File: what is your wish.jpg (39KB, 600x408px) Image search: [Google]
what is your wish.jpg
39KB, 600x408px
>>51858313
Bans are healthy. They keep the meta flowing and prevent stagnation.
>>
>>51858336
Dear God you're retarded.
>>
>>51858353
Why because that would force wizards to do their jobs? Shut the fuck up you corporate shill.
>>
>>51858374
Go back to v you literal mongoloid.
>>
>>51858403
>hur dur v meme
>hurrrrrr

That is literally you.
>>
>>51858336
What the hell am I reading.

>>51858429
>everyone is a shill
>1st grade insults
>>
The format wouldn't need so many fucking bans if wizards would just produce effective non-basic land removal. GHOST QUARTER IS NOT ADEQUATE. BLOOD MOON IS TOO MUCH OF A SILVER BULLET
>>
>>51858643
I hate this place. You are all shit
>>
>>51857023
No penalties to leaving.

When there's no financial stakes people just fucking give up, thus wasting your time. On MTGO if players double queue you'll be sitting there for five or ten minutes at a time while they draft or play another game while you wait.

I've been spoiled by games like DotA where if you are a faggot there's a shit-tier hell waiting for you.
>>
>>51858643
Modern needs:

>Wasteland
Punishes greedy manabases including Tron, while promoting decision trees within gameplay. Makes 1/2 colour decks much better, so people don't just derp and jam as many colours as they want into decks.

>Force of Will
Jesus fucking dick shitting Christ Wizards this card is awful and no one wants to run it, but my god this thing can regulate a format better than the DCI could ever do. Hell fucking yes I'd Force a Goblin Guide from an on the play Burn player.

>Counterspell
Playable control cannot exist without a 2 mana hard counter.

>Baleful Strix
The exact kind of value that UBx needs but does not have. Trades up like a mad cunt, forces GBx to choose between blue or red spells now that they have Wasteland to worry about and no Deathrite Shaman to pat them on the back and tell them everything will be okay.
>>
Modern doesn't any fucking bans or unbans. What it it needs is all players wanting to play the format to affordably access 3-4 top tier decks. If you don't have to dish out a mortgage payment to play a deck.

Format diversity is fucking worthless if there's nobody to play it.
>>
>>51858857
Thank God you're not in charge
>>
>>51858857
>Wasteland
>Force of Will
You just want legacy lite. No one want to play legacy lite when legacy is just much better.
>>
>>51858857
If I wanted to play legacy I would.

>wasteland
No thanks, land destruction isn't very fun and I don't want to enable it.
>force of will
A free counter is too strong for the format and counterspells make a lot of people feel bad
>counterspell
LOL, no one wants 30 counterspell draw-go control its not fun.
>baleful strix
Fun card
>>
>>51858913
>You just want legacy lite
Modern is MEANT to be Legacy lite. Legacy's problem is the cost of the format, not the cards in it. Wasteland and Force are neither reserved, nor overpowered. Infact they're a large part of what makes Legacy such a self regulating format.
>>
>>51858913
Legacy without good cantrips would be fairly different. There would probably be reasons to not play blue.
>>
>>51858942
>land destruction isn't very fun
Suck my fat dick when Blood Moon is legal.
>A free counter
Force of Will is not free. Comments like this just makes you look retarded. Do you think Pact of Negation is too strong for Modern too?
>no one wants 30 counterspell draw-go control its not fun
Counterspell itself would not cause this. Even the dreaded Miracles only runs like 1-2 copies mainboard, with 1-2 in the side to bring in when you take Force of Shit out game 2.
>>
>>51858913
Not him but the only reason I'm playing Modern in the first place is because I want to play Legacy Lite. I've resigned myself to the fact that the Reserve List is going nowhere and thus settled for Modern.

So far, Modern is just as plagued by a pseudo Reserve List and prices are just as absurd. They've had five years since Modern started to unfuck themselves and they haven't made the format more accessible.

Wizards couldn't sell me a sack of cash for free with a rebate at this point.
>>
>>51858945
>Modern is MEANT to be Legacy lite
You couldn't be more incorrect
>>
>>51858983
>Force of Will is not free
Lol the /tg/ is bad at magic meme strikes again
>Counterspell itself would not cause this. Even the dreaded Miracles only runs like 1-2 copies mainboard, with 1-2 in the side to bring in when you take Force of Shit out game 2.
They don't need to when they run counterbalance.

Unfun mechanics belong in legacy and vintage not modern
>>
>>51859012
Go to your LGS and ask people why they play Modern and not Legacy. They'll tell you they don't have the money for Legacy and Modern is the next best non-rotating format.
>>
>>51859013
>Lantern Control
>Ponza
>Skred
>8-rack
>Dredge It isn't fun for either player imo
>>
>>51859033
Jesus christ just fucking stop. You're poor. Stop projecting onto everyone else
>>
>>51859033
>People only play modern because they can't afford legacy
Legacyfags are a little too obnoxious desu
>>
>>51859127
Yunno, some of us are doing pretty well financially speaking. We got there because we refused to spend a thousand dollars on a stack of cardboard. Or buying a new gas guzzler every couple years, or buying alcohol at restaurants, or buying rocks and metal to wear.

I could buy a Legacy deck; I could also buy a rock attached to some metal, and I am in no mood to buy that either.
>>
File: IMG_20170223_020426699_HDR.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170223_020426699_HDR.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
>>51859127
;^)
>>
>>51859223
I should probably fire up a new containment thread for us, last one died so fast though.
>>
>>51859013
>Unfun mechanics belong in legacy and vintage not modern
Yeah, what belongs in Modern is 1 mana 7/7s and Green Sun's Zenith that can grab nongreen creatures.
>>
>>51859299
I don't care about Legacy. I bought the deck when people at my LGS showed interest in the format, but then it waned and I was the only person with enough money to actually finish a deck. Now I just have it. Should sell it but I don't need the money so whatever.
>>
>>51859013
>this post
kys
>>
>>51859324
>when people at my LGS showed interest in the format, but then it waned
This phenomenon is what kills Magic. There's only so much investment of time and money a player can leech out of fellow players and then slap them in the face when interest craps out.

Pushing new formats because they're the new shit when the old shit hasn't been exhausted just damages players' patience. Things like Tiny Leaders, Pauper and Frontier are the most recent examples of this - whoever is pushing these formats (outside of the Japanese in the case of Frontier) have no idea that they're going to damage the happening of other formats if they manage to pull people into a format.

Most stores cannot support more than Limited and Standard. With EDH on the sidelines. Even Modern could be a stretch.
>>
>>51827849

I wondered the same thing for a long time anon, I like telling time but its just not good in the format.

2 CMC for a reach of 3 is bad. Arguably it's a reach of 2 because one has to go to the bottom and top so if you get one good card and two bad you'r stuck with one for a turn.

Serum Visions is better because it's a true reach of 3.
>>
>>51831493

>Fragile pieces that are bad on their own
Check
>All or nothing strategy
Check
>Fucked hard by proper counters
Check

It's about as close to a combo deck an aggro deck can get.
>>
>>51858945
>>51859000
>Modern is MEANT to be Legacy lite
WRONG
learn to read before buying into modern wizards had made very clear what they want with modern format and is not legacy lite. you bought into the wrong format faggots, deal with it
>>
>>51860405
>http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/latest-developments/modern-proposal-2011-05-27
A long time ago, we promised not to reprint a certain list of cards. Some of those cards have become important parts of tournament Legacy. Although we regret that promise now, it is a promise that we made, and we intend to keep it.

Much of the appeal of Legacy is that the format does not rotate. However, as Legacy becomes more and more popular, the relative supply of these cards as compared to the size of the audience that wants to play with them is only going down. This makes the format less and less accessible to new entrants over time.

...As I said, many of you have called for a non-rotating format that doesn't have the card availability problems of Legacy. We propose Modern as that format.

Man, yunno, for introducing a format that you claim to has nothing to do with Legacy they sure do use the fucking word "Legacy" a lot in that article.
>>
>>51860513
http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/ptsoi/where-modern-goes-from-here-2016-04-24
>Consist of cards that we are willing and able to reprint
>Willing
>Willing
You understand now? they just don't want to
Deal with it faggot
>>
>>51831493
Maybe someone will post the more diverse deck archetypes list. Infect plays anywhere from a fast combo deck to a grindy aggro deck. It just depends on the matchup and what you draw.
>>
>>51859079
All of those are fine though
>>
>>51859306

>complaining about a well tooled and powerful fotm deck

come now, honestly?
>>
File: IMG_2697.png (159KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2697.png
159KB, 640x1136px
What are your dudes thoughts on Evo.dec?
I think the anus mana splash is sweet, instead of rhino you get thoughtknot, and smasher is a sweet 5drop too (along with gearhulk)

Not sure on the numbers specifically (seems like a lot of displacer and not even one rallier) but I think there's a lot of potential for doing well with the deck.

I've said it here before too, but I really wanna see some number of porcelaine legionaire in an evo list, especially with so many colorless lands. Turn 3 sigarda op
>>
>>51859306
Anyone who is complaining about traverse can fuck right off
>>
>>51862595
I think I'd want 1 more finks but it seems real fun
>>
>>51862595
What do you do when Evo gets countered?
>>
>>51862875
Suffer
>>
>>51862595
where's the swagtusk
>>
>>51862971
This.

Although with 4 voice, it seems generally good vs counter, unless you walk right into a bad situatiin

>>51863005
Ikr. I would modify the shit outta this list with sweet cards
>>
File: kek.jpg (49KB, 297x444px) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
49KB, 297x444px
Feast your eyes on this pile of shit.
>>
>>51863309
>Green splash for Decays
>not blue splash for Dimir Charm
Cmon son!!!
>>
>>51862595
mind posting the link to the decklist? I wanna know what the mana base is
>>
>>51859535

>pauper
>Tier 1 decks are like 50$
>damaging other formats

Anon...
>>
>>51863511
https://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gpvan17/9-32-decklists-2017-02-19
>>
>>51864477
Niche formats pull players away from other formats when a store only has a limited amount of time/effort to host events. Do what you will on your own time, but don't fuck with the attendance of the established formats.
>>
>Land (24)
2x Island
4x Mutavault
4x Polluted Delta
3x River of Tears
4x Secluded Glen
2x Swamp
4x Tectonic Edge
1x Watery Grave
>Creature (18)
4x Faerie Miscreant
4x Mistbind Clique
1x Scion of Oona
2x Snapcaster Mage
4x Spellstutter Sprite
3x Vendilion Clique
>Instant (10)
4x Fatal Push
4x Mana Leak
2x Spell Pierce
>Sorcery (6)
4x Inquisition of Kozilek
2x Thoughtseize
>Enchantment (4)
4x Bitterblossom

Sup niggers.
>>
>>51828199
>aggro
>jund
>>
>>51835543
>exile blockers
What blockers? Affinity's blockers? Eidolon of the Great Revel?
>>
>>51859223
they're obv chinamens
>>
>>51864729
>1 mana 7/7s
>2 mana 6/7s
>Green Sun's Zenith for any colour creature
>52 card deck
Nope, nothing aggressive about that.
>>
>>51864790
Are we playing the same modern?

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=111278

Most recent modern jund from SCG event.

Death's Shadow is jund colors but isn't Jund. That's like calling dredge Jund.
>>
>>51864825
Oh I'm sorry I thought Jund was supposed to be a pile of the most efficient spells in those colours.
>>
>>51864825
Let's also call Grishoalbrand Jund and the grixis version Grixis Control because it aims to take control of the game with Griselbrand/Emrakul
>>
>>51864661

All you need to do as LGS is to spread the events through the week instead cramming everything up in one day.
>>
>>51864663
Why not ghost quarter? By the time Tron gets to 4 lands, you're pretty hosed. Also, I liked having a batterskull when I played faeries to offset the bitter blossom bleed.
>>
>>51864922
I'm just assuming that playing against Tron is a lost cause anyway. Tec Edge keeps Mana Leak and Spell Pierce relevant longer.
>>
>>51848427

Yea, I could. Fish board is already kinda tight though.
>>
in jund

4 mana dudes main or side

how many each of baloth, kalitas, huntmaster, thrun in the 75?
>>
File: IMG_1465.png (204KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1465.png
204KB, 480x480px
>>51839439
>fetches at uncommon
Are you high or just naive?
>>
>>51863309
I can see nothing wrong with having 7 miracle cards in a format without brainstorm
>>
>>51865661
obvs the plan is to ride path and decay until he can hard cast terminus and then put it on top with noxious revival
>>
>>51864790
>1 mana 7/7
Wat
>>
>>51865687
I get the plan. I just think it'll end up feeling awkward in practice and won't ever do the thing most of the time. With no real draw or search it'll most likely only work 1/4 times. I get the asylum visitor's are suppose to help, but you need better than that shit. Maybe some painful truths and wall of omens.
>>
>>51865716
He's trolling and talking about death's shadow, which is often something like 6/6 to 10/10 for B.

Goyf is the 6/7 because the deck is playing baubles and tribals. Unless I missed something, I think one tarfire should be a seal of fire, whatever the enchantment shock is.

GSZ is Traverse the Ulvenwald

52 cards because 4 baubles, 4 street wraith
>>
>>51864661
>Do what you will on your own time
TIL that the time I spend playing magic isn't my own time, and I have a job to play Anon approved formats
>>
>>51860513
>Although we regret that promise now, it is a promise that we made, and we intend to keep it.

This right here is where you are supposed to realize this is bullshit. Say that interest in the game is dwindling and players are migrating to other games. It is obvious the game is dying. Are you telling me WotC would not try to jump start it again with a Glorious Return of Duals and Moxen set because "we made a promise and we intend to keep it"?

Give me a fucking break. The plan has always been to have a longer format around. Extended into Modern, Modern into whatever the fuck the new format they introduce in a couple of years is called. And so on.
>>
>>51866074
>whatever the fuck the new format is called
Frontier anon.
>>
>>51865726
It's build around collected brutality. Ditch miracled into graveyard with it and utilize terminus with noxious revival. It works as long as opponent is trying to win with creatures. Asylum visitor is there because of madness cost and because you go into top deck mode with opponent in turn 4, which is ideally around when you wish for a fucking miracle to happen for you to win the game.
>>
So is wizards gonna amend the rules to fix the expertise/fuse card interaction, or am i gonna have to keep dealing with turn 2 hasty emrakuls?
>>
>>51866365
play 4x street wraith and 4x grafdigger's cage and just hope they don't open that land that gives you a spirit, 2 SSG, expertise+breaking. That can happen on a mull to 5.

What other free cantrips are there that let you dig into cage?
>>
>>51866090
frontier is a shithole with KTK block
should start the format at origins.
also ban jace at the start so ppl can always be begging for unban jace in postmodern
>>
>>51866090
I doubt it. Frontier should be called Pearl Harbor format. The japs once again sneaked attacaked us. Official New Modern is still a year or so away, beginning at Origins. Japs jumped the gun
>>
>>51865919
Ohhhhh, thanks anon.
>>
>>51850588
Merfolk got the maro maybe for mm17, that means their precious cavern might not be to far behind.
>>
>>51865539
He might mean uncommon 2,but I doubt it.
>>
>>51850588
I think there is going to be a mythic money land in MM17. Either Caverns or Canopy. My money is in Canopy. Caverns is probably easier to fit into a standard set as a money maker.
>>
>>51858942
>wasteland
Only punishes greedy mana bases, costs you a land drop usually.
>Force of Will
2 for 1 card and polices the format
>counterspell
Two mana counterspell will help slow the format down and help blue.

>>51866074
Nobody is leaving magic for other games, FoW is dead and HS doesn't hold a finger to magic. People aren't coming to magic. Also the RL seems to be all in legal mumbo jumbo, which might explain why they don't abolish it and how they tried to bypass it with loopholes.
>>
>tfw still no spoilers
>>
>>51867110
>Nobody is leaving magic for other games, FoW is dead and HS doesn't hold a finger to magic. People aren't coming to magic. Also the RL seems to be all in legal mumbo jumbo, which might explain why they don't abolish it and how they tried to bypass it with loopholes

It is a hypothetical situation, you mook. Are you really so deep in MaRo's ass that you think Magic cannot ever fail?

And if you think that the RL stays for some legal reason that Hasbro could not dance circles around, please do not reproduce. Ever.
>>
>>51867425
Magic can fail and is right now (see the standard damage control), but unless they screw up so bad or just continue in this path.

Well the RL isn't going away AFAIK, but I agree, Hasbro can steamroll anybody and stuff so it's either:
>They're working on it now
>they feel like they'll waste time and money
>Wizards obviously doesn't want to abolish it to not have Legacy compete with modern
> Wizards being Wizards, has the RL legal stuff be a flustercuck of garbage that isn't abolished as nobody wants to touch it with a 30 foot pole.
>What >>51866074 said.
>>
File: stinkweed-imp2.jpg (261KB, 420x583px) Image search: [Google]
stinkweed-imp2.jpg
261KB, 420x583px
So is dredge dead on arrival or is it still worth the investment? I'm a titanic sucker for graveyard based decks and I already have living end as a modern deck so dredge feels like the next logical step.
>>
>>51867517
People who think reprints of moxen and dual lands would be good for wizards are out of their minds. They would only sell to old grognards and collectors, and the collectors would be pissed because they're collection just got devalued yugioh style. It would do nothing to get new kids to buy packs while hurting their relationship with distributors and secondary sellers. This is before any potential lawsuit over the reserved list. It's all downside from their perspective, even in your hypothetical future. In that case they would much rather just change their brand in some way to get people to buy new stuff again, like releasing Urza's Return or introducing a new format.
>>
>>51867731
Duals are used in Legacy and EDH
>>
>>51867659
It was just 2nd and 3rd at a GP, so I'd say it's pretty good
>>
>>51867731
>introducing a new format
Like frontier, where events at GPs can't even start? There are good formats already, the only reason people don't play them is the cost.
>>
>>51867813

I legit didn't know it had, thanks anon.
>>
>>51867905
Here's the top 32 from the event https://www.mtggoldfish.com/tournament/grand-prix-brisbane-2017#online
People were all running 2-3 graveyard hate in the side, so it's not just a one off where no one was prepared for it. People really wrote the deck off, but I'd say it's just a little less powerful than before cathartic reunion was printed.
>>
>>51867813
Everyone took out all of their graveyard hate because of the ban, therefore dredge will do well because nobody had any actual answers. As a whole, without troll meant dredge couldn't kill as fast as it once could, maybe another turn or two
>>
>>51867864
In the future, work on your reading comprehension.

>>51867800
Those are old grognard formats. They already do fine with EDH supplemental products, why take the risks I mentioned to fix a problem they don't have?
>>
>>51867976
But unless wizards changes their attitude towards reprinted those formats will have the exact same problems as legacy and modern: expense. There's no reserve list for modern, wizards just doesn't give a shit about keeping the format cheap, and there's no reason they'll keep any new format cheap. Jace VP rose to nearly $50 before frontier even saw any play.
And if they do change their policies then there's no need for a new format, because they can just make modern (or even the non-reserve list legacy cards) cheap.
>>
>>51868033
Wizard's wants cards to be expensive. That means there's demand for their product. You can buy every card in Kaijudo for like 50$ because the game is dead. Why would you kill demand for your product by oversaturating the market with it? Contrary to the belief of NEET's on this website, some people do have stable incomes and find modern to be affordable as a collectible hobby game. As evidenced by all the people that play it.
>>
>>51868082
Just because magic is successful doesn't mean everything wizards does is right, magic can be successful in spite of wizards bad policies. Hasbro just released player numbers to shareholders recently and the playerbase stopped growing over the last few years, it's staying at the same number. Making cards expensive sells packs in the short term but drives away players in the long term. No one wants to have to buy 4x each chase card every standard because rares and mythics are the only playables, and they don't like dropping hundreds of dollars on a new eternal format because wizards doesn't know the meaning of eternal.
Wizards can't just make interesting new formats out of thin air and modern will eventually go the way of legacy if wizards treats it as if it has a reserved list.
>>
>>51867731
>urzas return

I fucking wish man... But we all know it's not gonna happen.
>>
>>51865482
Personally, I have been running 2 PnN in the main to deal with affinity. Not really sure how I feel about it though. Huntmaster is decent, but I feel there are better options. Kalitas was underwhelming for me. He doesn't have an immediate impact and you need removal or a lili to utilize him right away. Optimal Kalitas is turn 5, but modern is so fast that turn five is a bit unrealistic.

Honestly, I would play grim flayer in the MB and run an assortment of 4-drops in the SB, but depends on your meta.

TL;DR What's your meta like?
>>
>>51867731
>It would do nothing to get new kids

good grief. Does it hurt being this dumb? Are you seriously saying that the only people that play Legacy are those that were around 20 years ago? You only need to go to a Legacy tournament to figure out that many players were in kindergarten when duals were around.

Why wouldn't new players ever want to play Legacy? Do you have any proof besides what some idiot told you?
>>
>>51865482
G O N T I
>>
>>51868632
super generic and meta
affinity, burn, deaths shadow, janky u stuff, tron, merfolk, infect, dredge, bant drazi, elves, G stompy, WR blood moon, jeskai nahiri, d&t, and like 32405897 tezzeret decks

I like 23 lands with no main deck 4 drops and SB another basic and the 4 drops for slower decks and blood moon. I wish there was something like Ancient Grudge that hit enchantments.

I've tested with flayer and it's good but I think warps the deck significantly in a direction I'm not a fan of.

4 Dark Confidant
4 Tarmogoyf
3 Scavenging Ooze

3 Liliana of the Veil
1 Liliana, the Last Hope

4 Inquisition of Kozilek
2 Thoughtseize
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Fatal Push
1 Collective Brutality
3 Abrupt Decay
2 Terminate
2 Kolaghan's Command
1 Maelstrom Pulse

23 lands
4 Verdant Catacombs
3 Bloodstained Mire
2 Wooded Foothills
2 Overgrown Tomb
1 Blood Crypt
1 Stomping Ground
4 Blackcleave Cliffs
3 Raging Ravine
2 Swamp
1 Forest

Sideboard
2 Kitchen Finks
2 Fulminator Mage
1 Thrun, the Last Troll
1 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
1 Huntmaster of the Fells
1 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
2 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Ancient Grudge
2 Kozilek's Return
1 Damnation
1 Forest
>>
>>51864790
Stop calling it gsz you fucking moron
>>
>>51869330
He's wrong by calling it GSZ but the similarity isn't to be overlooked.
Thread posts: 338
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.