[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Homebrew General Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

File: Homebrew General.jpg (158KB, 600x421px) Image search: [Google]
Homebrew General.jpg
158KB, 600x421px
What are you anons working on for your homebrew? Systems, splats, character options, etc.

I'm working on a Greek-themed adventure rpg to get away from the classic medieval-esque European setting and take it back to the birth of the hero. In the game the players are from one of several major city-states and receive the call to heroism for a great quest, ala Jason and the Argonauts, and have a minor history of heroism behind them. Combat is a large focus, but not the central one, as that involves a system of trying to achieve their quests and stated goals fueled by Thumos while struggling against the weight of their own Hubris.

The other thing I'm working on is a 90's era setting where the players are psychically awakened beings who channel their psychic powers into physical forms of armor (think Kamen Rider) and study under a race from a neighboring world who were brought to our earth by the event that caused the birth of psychic energy in humanity. They have been training those who they find and recruit to increase their powers and become holistic users of power, called Gestalts, to both help control those humans who would use their powers for malicious purpose and to prepare them for the arrival of a third race that seeks to devour all sentience.

So, what are you guys working on?
>>
>>51813659
Fantasy heartbreaker system with "gamist" rather than "simulationist" stats. So, no strength stat, but there will be both a "combat" stat, and a "physical power" stat, and a "physical accuracy stat".

Still ironing out the details.

Gonna use it to run a homebrew setting, which is sort of like Ravnica meets Sigil meets Shadowrun, with 15th century tech and mid-high powered magic.
>>
File: 1487492768009.jpg (110KB, 940x940px) Image search: [Google]
1487492768009.jpg
110KB, 940x940px
>>51813659

I'm trying to balance some kind of Starship Combat system for D&D 5e. I figure the best way to do it is to use a modified version of the sorcerer's "Sorcery points" class feature as a way for the Ships to create spell slots and then cast spells.

I'm having trouble trying to figure out what the ship's HP and the Damage output of the "spells" should both be to make combat challenging but fair. I can't playtest it with my PCs because I think it's unfair to gamble their characters in a live weapons test.

I don't expect anyone else has been working on this particular problem but I post about it once in awhile just in case someone has relevant advice besides "convince your players to adopt a new rules system", which I appreciate but is not a feasible solution
>>
>>51813659
I'm currently working working on a Polynesian-themed game called Tales of the Shifting Seas. I'm nearly done but I cant quite figure out how to resolve the progression system.

As is, very similar to mouseguard. There are three types of 'resources' you can earn to spend on progression, all three of which are "tales" which you spend by telling them at your home village or another friendly village.

The most powerful Tales are Tales of Triumph, which are spent either on fairly large leaps in progression or burned to automatically succeed a physical roll. Tales of Triumph are awarded for completing large overarching goals and putting endcaps on adventures.

Less significant are Tales of Discovery. At the beginning of each session, a goal is agreed upon by the party and approved by the GM. Should this goal be completed a Tale of Discovery is awarded and a new goal is established. If the party fails to achieve that goal, then it may be retained or changed at the beginning of the next session. Tales of discovery are spent on intermediate progression and skills, and can also be burned to succeed a social roll.

The least significant and most numerous are Tales of the Sea. Tales of the sea cannot be burned, and are spent on incidental traits, though some builts can use them as a resource in certain ways. As is, I know I want one to always be awarded at the end of each session. I am unsure, however, of what other explicit circumstances should warrant a Tale of the Sea. I want it to just be a dog-treat you throw out for skilled and creative play, but I don't know how to codify that into something as systemic as the other two.

The main reason to have this stratified Tale system is to encourage players to keep their goals in perspective and plan ahead, which is something Ive noticed greener groups have problems with.

If anybody has ideas, questions, or suggestions regarding my problem, Id love to hear them!
>>
>>51816394
I find that, paradoxically, when using something large like a ship its best to keep the numbers small to prevent having to interpret the relative effects of large numbers (i.e. what does a ship with 75 hull remaining taking 20 damage look like). I would suggest separating each part of the ship into slots with discrete capabilities. It can either carry a certain number of crew, cargo, or weapons. Then, assign the ship a speed which is lowered by taking on more cargo and armor. Attack rolls should not be dealing numerical HP, it should just deal a hit, which strips armor, damages hull, then guts the section.

This way you can represent the ship simply without having to remember two to three digit numbers across the entire craft. You could also, then, have things that arnt weapons that fill a section of the ship that you just fiat a bonus for. If the players put a dedicate galley in the ship, it raises morale and perhaps initiative. If the players put in a chapel it improves healing. A command room could increase weapon accuracy, resource usage, or reload time.
>>
>>51817082

These are some cool ideas, I appreciate the feedback
>>
I'm studying how to adapt pic related to my own setting (something along Adventure Time + Ryuutama)

I want to take out damage and HP, and put damage tags instead. Also some new talents for Robots, Ghosts, Vampires, etc. I like how each talent is tied to a classic DnD class and I want to add some more to expand the choices on character development.
>>
>>51817932
If I were you Id just make something from the ground up, its always easier that way. Even if you take influences from other works you should always start from scratch.
>>
>>51820520
That's what I'm basically doing; but I'm keeping the core concept of the Pbta resolution + the idea of making characters a mash up of talents (low level: one talent, high level: many talents) + 3 core stats (which are just fancy names for Body, Mind and Soul). Simple, and with some mechanics for gear.

Any idea for talents?

these are what I got for now:

[_] Fighter: You start the game with a weapon of your choosing. When you use it, you can attempt any kind of impressive feats (parrying a shuriken, attacking multiple enemies...) or get +1 in common combat rolls.
[_] Ninja: You can attempt the most absurd acrobacies, and to be stealthy with the smallest distraction.
[_] Giant: You can attempt to break, lift and bend almost everything. +1 when resisting damage.
[_] Investigator: When you analyze something, you can ask any question you want. On a success, the clue you want will be right there: the GM will give you a honest answer (explain how it makes sense). On a 7-9, exhaust this skill until you've rested.
[_] Engineer: You know how to repair, tweak, use and build all kinds of artifacts. You start with any object of your choice; say how you've hacked it (+1 damage, +1 armor, +1 useful adaptation; but has a disadvantage: uses resources, needs maintenance or its use has limitations)
>>
>>51824463
[_] Thief (better name needed): At any time, you can claim to have foreseen a current situation and to have something prepared for it (like a trap, an object on yourself, somebody's aid). It must make sense and you must still roll for it to see if it works as you intended. Then mark this skill as [_] used, refreshes on a rest.
[_] Music: You start with a (choose one: banjo - harmonica - synth). When you play your preferred genre (blues - vaporwave - grunge) on a 10+ you get 2 tokens; on a 7-9 you get 1. You can spend them later to state how does an specific person in the audience feels, to aid someone on a task related to one of your songs or to describe the general reaction of the audience.
[_] Doctor: You can diagnose and treat illnesses, and attempt to cook all kinds of potions. You start with a doctor's bag filled with mysterious medicines.
[_] Witch: You can perform rituals to bestow spells on things and people. They give them advantage or disadvantage towards some action; or just call for a small magical effect; describe how the spell looks and feels.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (346KB, 1928x1048px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
346KB, 1928x1048px
Making a system/setting for Underworld/Blade like supernaturals. Rather low magic for the most part, there's no spell slinging or nothing going on and the play tests have been rather fun.

Got Vampires, Lycans, Gargoyles, and Frankensteins.
>>
File: 1345187464020.jpg (24KB, 335x507px) Image search: [Google]
1345187464020.jpg
24KB, 335x507px
>>51813659
Exotic fantasy sword and sandals system with simulationist approach featuring high granularity character building and status tracking.

Caterpillar merchant has the Linothorax that fits your chitinothorax, guaranteed!
>>
I'm trying to balance 3.5 to fit with my setting. It's hell, but it is a good distraction. All in all, pretty standard homebrewin'.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.