[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gnoll Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 94

File: Gnoll Gladiatrix.png (491KB, 1280x708px) Image search: [Google]
Gnoll Gladiatrix.png
491KB, 1280x708px
Because it's been a while since we had one.

Honest question: have you ever changed gnolls from the bog-standard "ravening hordes of mindless demon worshippers" mold? Or is 5e's depiction of them pretty much everything you wanted out of them?
>>
File: Gnoll Watchwoman.jpg (37KB, 315x508px) Image search: [Google]
Gnoll Watchwoman.jpg
37KB, 315x508px
Related query; would you consider this interpretation of gnolls to be "magical realm"?

Gnolls reign over their own empire in the "not!Africa" region; a tropical and arid land of savannahs and open scrubland. Their "hat" is "Decadent But Dangerous Easterners"; their empire is built on a combination of martial skill, trade in luxuries (fine metal work, gems, drugs, black magic).

The gnolls worship a pantheon of "dark gods", somewhere between demon princes who've chilled out on the whole "destroy everything" rhetoric and lesser gods. Chief of the pack is Lamashtu, who fits the "Dark Mother" godly archetype - wicked and lusty chief goddess with powers over nature and fertility. The lesser gods in the pantheon are focused on roles such as war, various forms of hedonism (gluttony, carnality, drug-use, fine art, excess decoration), and magic.

Driving philosophy of the gnolls is hedonism: the purpose of life is to seek pleasure and indulge yourself. They lean strongly as a race towards Chaotic Neutral; self-centered, impulsive and lazy, but not inherently hostile towards other races as a matter of default. A typical gnoll wants to throw parties where she can lounge around on silk divans wearing shiny jewelry whilst eating and drinking herself into a stupor, not destroy cities and eat live babies.
>>
File: Gnoll Chieftess.jpg (49KB, 736x883px) Image search: [Google]
Gnoll Chieftess.jpg
49KB, 736x883px
>>51804039

cont due to length:

Technically, gnolls are matriarchal, as the females are bigger and stronger than the males and claim this represents the nature/blessing of Lamashtu herself. In practice, the prevalance of necromantic talents amongst the males means that many males exert open political power, as the empire depends on them to run things.

See, the empire's workforce is built on necromancy on a massive scale. Armies of skeletons, bone golems and other skeletal undead form the grunt labor that keeps the empire running by doing all the boring task.

The empire also makes heavy use of conventional slavery. As such slaves are required to do tasks that require independent thought and finesse, however, they are not as oppressed and downtrodden as they might be. A living slave is a valuable piece of property and treated as such. It's even possible for a slave to win freedom through loyalty and skill.

With none of the traditional constraints on drugs, alchemy or magic, the gnoll empire is a hotbed of black market trade and a veritable mecca for necromancers, warlocks and jaded hedonists.

Although its existence rankles many of the more hardline goodly faiths, the gnoll empire goes unchallenged because of its legitimate trade and because, so far, the other kingdoms have accepted it's better to have them content and lazy than roused to savage wars of vengeance; unlike hobgoblins, they're not particularly ambitious conquerors and so acts of aggression are comparatively rare.
>>
>>51803966
This is now a kobold thread.

Post kobolds.
>>
>>51803966
>Or is 5e's depiction of them pretty much everything you wanted out of them?

This.

They're slavering tribes of demon worshippers. They aren't mindless.
>>
On an aside, the last time there was a thread like this, there was a PDF posted about a "Chainmail Setting", from back in 3.5, due to gnolls being a major faction? I couldn't grab it because my shit-tier connection couldn't download the PDFs for some reason - anybody still got that?
>>
File: 1461673559306.jpg (53KB, 600x850px) Image search: [Google]
1461673559306.jpg
53KB, 600x850px
>>51803966
>have you ever changed gnolls from the bog-standard "ravening hordes of mindless demon worshippers" mold?

In a setting I ran a while back, gnolls were a slave race of one of the larger human empires. Originally, according to legends, they were the ravening horde of mindless Yeenoghu worshippers, until Yeenoghu pissed off the Sun god, who commanded his worshippers to invade the Abyss and put it to the sword.

After defeating Yeenoghu in combat the Sun swallowed him whole, where he's been trapped for eons, burning for all eternity, forgotten by everyone. His entire race was enslaved and made soldiers for the human empire. In the present day no one remembers how or why gnolls became the empire's soldiers, it's just kind of how things have always been.

Because of that, peoples' perception of them has changed from evil barbaric monsters to noble defenders of humanity, or tyrannical conquerers if you live outside the empire.
>>
File: le iceland face.jpg (100KB, 970x546px) Image search: [Google]
le iceland face.jpg
100KB, 970x546px
You're mad. Why do we have a gnoll thread every other day? Why gnolls? Why are you people so obsessed with fucking gnolls?
>>
File: Gnolls are fucking metal.jpg (165KB, 640x569px) Image search: [Google]
Gnolls are fucking metal.jpg
165KB, 640x569px
>>51804156
bullshit.

gnolls forever!
>>
>>51803966
>Honest question: have you ever changed gnolls from the bog-standard "ravening hordes of mindless demon worshippers" mold?
I don't have any race of "ravening hordes of mindless demon worshippers" in my games. The existence of such a race doesn't sit well with my core beliefs.
>>
>>51803966
Yes I did.
>>
>>51804252
to be honest?

they are anthro's that aren't 'furry' ---at least in cannon.
they are savage anti-human who overemphasize the hyena features, such a laughing at blood and savagely tearing into prey. there is nothign cute or wide eyed about them, and they are covered in coarse stinking fur...

look into their eyes, and you will see black empty staring back at you...
>>
File: D&DKobold[1].jpg (21KB, 220x308px) Image search: [Google]
D&DKobold[1].jpg
21KB, 220x308px
>>51804156
LOOK AT ME, i'm a gnoll, very true true! trust me you should do! i am very doggo!
>>
>>51804226
Related to this, anybody got the Playing Gnolls article from Dragon #367? Hands down the best fluff gnolls have ever gotten in all their four editions of being playable.
>>
>>51804309
Gnolls, if you take the D&D interpretation, are absolutely furry.
>there is nothign cute or wide eyed about them,
Hyenas are extremely cute.
>>
File: 1480581781745.jpg (1MB, 2000x1332px) Image search: [Google]
1480581781745.jpg
1MB, 2000x1332px
>>51804400
>Hyenas are extremely cute

This.
>>
>>51804039
The Pantheon is a bit tunnel visioned for my taste. I'd use the hedonism themes as the gods personalities (because their people are hedonists) and not as their portfolios.
>>
File: Striped Gnoll.png (1MB, 915x1240px) Image search: [Google]
Striped Gnoll.png
1MB, 915x1240px
>>51804499
A reasonable statement. Honestly, I have a huge amount of difficulty coming up with deities of any stripe, so I just went for a more generalized approach. They're essentially softcore(? less super Chaotic Evil, more Chaotic Neutral) Slaanesh-as-a-pantheon worshippers.

Pic spoilered due to what looks like one exposed breast.
>>
>>51804425
>>51804400
fuck, i'm back in /fur/ again....
>>
File: kobold.jpg (24KB, 220x271px) Image search: [Google]
kobold.jpg
24KB, 220x271px
>>51804156
>mfw people keep thinking tiny lizardmen are kobolds
>>
File: 1435704814735.jpg (222KB, 800x964px) Image search: [Google]
1435704814735.jpg
222KB, 800x964px
Anons? Simple query for you; since gnolls are basically "furry orcs" in traditional D&D lore, would you make "half-gnolls" a thing?

If yes, what would they be like?

Hard mode version: they can't be hideously deformed, unspeakably disgusting brutes, ala their appearance in Green Ronin's Bastards & Bloodlines.
>>
>>51804971
I welcome this change, there already are dozens upon dozens of mythological creatures that only amount to person with caricature like facial features.
>>
File: 1441740341446.png (2MB, 1540x1260px) Image search: [Google]
1441740341446.png
2MB, 1540x1260px
>>
File: 1472962098612.png (338KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1472962098612.png
338KB, 1000x1000px
>>
File: 1482507970211.jpg (125KB, 757x885px) Image search: [Google]
1482507970211.jpg
125KB, 757x885px
>>
Would gnolls basically be hedonistic dog people?
>>
I prefer my gnolls as an all-female nomad race that have prehensile dong-clitoris things. They go around raping people to reproduce.
>>
>>51803966
Yiff in hell furry
>>
>>51805194
please go and stay go, anon
>>
File: 1426795777969.jpg (42KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
1426795777969.jpg
42KB, 256x256px
>>51803966
I don't know why I keep going on these threads, because I say the same thing every time: blah blah, I like my gnolls to be still the bad guys overall but with a little more variance and just enough room for PCs, blah blah, reviving Gorellik and adding in a few other nature spirits or minor dieties to round out an actual pantheon, blah blah.

5e's depiction is not really what I wanted out of them, though I do appreciate some of the extra details that came along with it, such as undead gnolls. I'm a faggot who still likes the idea of gnolls being created as not necessarily demonic entities, but being turned demonic by worship of a new deity. Them being pseudo-mortal demons or whatever just bothers me, since only tieflings also have that claim of descent, and why doesn't that show up anywhere else? One unique case, I'll live, but two cases and I start getting worried.
>>
File: 1432132091170.jpg (102KB, 568x786px) Image search: [Google]
1432132091170.jpg
102KB, 568x786px
>>
>>51804252
Why do people have kobold threads or goblin threads? Because there are a couple of monstrous races that people have latched onto as potential PC material - these are something that people are interested in and think it's possible to play as.

It's also why you don't see threads for most monsters, except as a general monster thread. They aren't usually considered PC material. Even when a few get jokingly made PCs, like perhaps a slime adventurer, it's not enough to break the mold.
>>
>>
>>51805334
3 best gnoll.
>>
>>51804252
Because the less human it is, the more /tg/ wants to fuck it.
>>
> is 5e's depiction of them pretty much everything you wanted out of them?

yes
>>
>>51805328
Goblins are already a popular player race. You just need to look beyond D&D.
>>
>>51805435
I'm honestly not sure what system they're a popular PC race for. Only thing I can think of is World of Warcraft, and in that case you have to also include undead, minotaurs, pandas, and wolf people.
>>
>>51805502
LotR, Harry Potter
>>
>>51803966
It's all I ever wanted. I adore hordes of pure evil monsters ravaging the country side, only being stopped by the combined might of all the Kingdom's armies. Settings need at least some unrelenting evil, gives a reason for all those holy or militant knightly orders to exist.
>>
>>51803966
>have you ever changed gnolls from the bog-standard "ravening hordes of mindless demon worshippers"

Yes, though they still occupy the same sort of niche as goblins, kobolds, etc.

Basically it's a similar situation to >>51804250

All those races fill in a strata of society that isn't quite slave, but not quite full citizenship. Each city is run by a collection of ruling families, and each one is a patron to a clan of gnolls, goblins, orcs, whatever. These clans send their strongest to the family in the hopes that they'll enter service in their private armies. Service guarantees they'll see land ownership and the same rights as first class citizens in the Empire, so it's something they all strive for. They're just as barbaric as ever, but the savagery is tempered by discipline.
>>
>>51805272
my bro.
>>
>>51805054
i specifically had a Gnoll PC in an evil campaign that went around raping pale skinned elves. with the sole purpose of getting them preggos with abominations

whist the mezoberranite women would sex just to get their fur fetish off...
>>
>>51805799
the fuck? really?
where are Gnolls in their setting? i call utter bullshit on LOTR
>>
>>51807081
>i specifically had a Gnoll PC in an evil campaign that went around raping pale skinned elves. with the sole purpose of getting them preggos with abominations

GNOLL'D
>>
>>51804039
>>51804055
>tfw you will never play a cleric of the god of excess decoration

I don't think this is magical realm, but I also think you should work on just describing things as they are rather than describing how they fit into a pop-fantasy stereotype TVTropes mold. Nobody, absolutely nobody, is gonna enjoy reading about what "hat" they wear or that they're from "not!Africa" or whatever.

Basically, you should ditch the cliches. Your ideas are strong enough to stand without them.
>>
>>51807102
The topic had turned to goblins as a PC race, not gnolls.
>>
Spotted, Striped, or Aardwolf?
>>
File: gnoll-princess.jpg (235KB, 850x850px) Image search: [Google]
gnoll-princess.jpg
235KB, 850x850px
>>51803966
>have you ever changed gnolls from the bog-standard "ravening hordes of mindless demon worshippers" mold?
Yes, though it was easy since they weren't exactly ravening hordes of mindless demon worshippers since I based them off PFs and earlier editions of D&Ds version where they are demon worshippers but actually people instead of some weird demonic hivemind dedicated to destruction and hunger.
>Or is 5e's depiction of them pretty much everything you wanted out of them?
Hell no, and its utter shite.

I expanded their role from simple monster that you kill because it's a furry orc, into a PC race that still retains the elements of their previous role. The gnoll people are a hardy race of hunters, slavers, and craftsmen that hail from lands far to the east of Avistan (notEurope). The western and southern borders of their lands are the territories of their exiles and those deemed unfit for civlization. Nearly all are worshippers of evil gods or demon lords. They subsist on raiding into human territories looking to scavenge materials and slaves for their altars or to simply eat. Some of these groups are infected with the gnoll form of kuru due to feeding on humanoids and gnolls, leaving them a laughing, jerky mess. Tieflings are common.

In the proper gnoll lands, they are a civilized people who engage in craftsmanship, making fine woven materials, forging metals they have dug up, and using advanced animal husbandry. Matriarchal, the most important positions of leadership are filled by the women, who are much bigger and taller than the males. In their halls of worship they honor First Tribe, the group of gnoll gods who first inhabited these lands. Led by O'Istidir, First Tribe opposes the evil gods: the Nameless, Yeenoghu, and Lamashtu.

Gnolls tend to be a naturally wary people, disliking new situations or things until they have properly acclimated to them.
>>
>>51807340
All four. Spotted can take on a more traditional gnoll role, with the other variants having their own unique traditions and societies. Like aardwolves being much less aggressive than a spotted gnoll and who tend to get along better with other intelligent races.
>>
>>51807340
Cuteness overload.
>>
>>51808375
I prefer a single race is physiologically based on the Spotted but fur patterns can be from all the various hyenas including painted dogs, and they can even be mix and match, like striped torso and spotted legs. I use the spotted for the base because spotted hyenas are the smartest, and they are seriously smart, and most social of the hyenas, pretty much all others are solitary or paired and kind of dumb.
>>
File: young-aardwolves.jpg (30KB, 420x269px) Image search: [Google]
young-aardwolves.jpg
30KB, 420x269px
I dare you to look at these kittens and repeat all this daft bullshit that gnolls must always be chaotic evil monstrosities.
>>
>>51808683

They look pretty evil to me. Just look at those eyes, glistening with hate and the urge to kill.
>>
>>51808683
I don't know if aardwolves do it, but I know spotted hyenas are born with fully developed jaws and canine teeth, and siblings will fight each other for access to mother's milk, sometimes causing the weaker sibling to starve and die.

They are surprisingly cute, and hyenas are surprisingly smart, but they are not cuddly bunnies.
>>
>>51808769
This behaviour also exists in domestic cats. Are they monsters too?
>>
>>51804252
Gnolls used to be a fairly underdeveloped enemy race, only being fleshed out by WotC and other known fantasy to a degree to expand upon their creativity of being assholes.

As is often the case, when trying to make a race into a playable race, evening out the character of that race is crucial, really driving home the fact that a whole race dedicated to EEEVILLLLLL!!! is outright retarded, thus leading to the first gnoll threads.

The various gnollbuilding threads have only further sensitised /tg/ to the idea of occult hyenapeople, while having a fair amount of contributions actually justifiying the threads outside of a "We like the same thing" circlejerk.

This overall investment on behalf of /tg/ has led to a high sympathy. We have taken bog-standard gnolls, have made them more than "Lol feminine penis for feminine raping!" and thus preserved them from one-trick ponyism, instead having a great opportunity to possibly influence the future fantasy landscape by sheer amount of creative diffusion.

In short: Gnolls are our collective brainchild now and we'll make them great... Er! Greater!
>>
File: Gnollbuilding 3.png (597KB, 1824x4440px) Image search: [Google]
Gnollbuilding 3.png
597KB, 1824x4440px
>>51807340
>>51808375
Obligatory
>>
>>51808920
>a whole race dedicated to EEEVILLLLLL!!! is outright retarded
I dunno, it sounds like exactly the kind of antiquated crap that the local grognards get off on.
>>
>>51808852
Yes.
>>
>>51809110
Honestly I've felt it's become quite the opposite: WotC's attempts at making their properties like D&D more accessible to "a wider audience" means they've had to both simplify and sterilize their products. Half orcs the product of rape? Nah nah, that won't fly in today's market. They're obviously born from consensual matrimony, just ignore the fact that all the full-blooded orcs in the Monster Manuel are evil aligned.

Need some fodder for your players to kill to make them feel like badasses? Throw some gnolls at them! It's alright to slaughter them because now they're irredeemably evil, and if our focus groups have told us one thing it's that today's "gamers" love to rationalize all moral dilemmas as black-and-white so they won't feel guilty about their actions.
>>
>>51809233
If an irredeemably evil race has to exist at all, I'd much prefer for this niche to be filled by orcs, who were explicitly created with this purpose in mind, rather than a race based on lovable animals.
>>
>hyenas are cute
They also smell like shit.
>>
File: 1426796619334.jpg (115KB, 1195x650px) Image search: [Google]
1426796619334.jpg
115KB, 1195x650px
>>51809233
I understand why WotC is doing it, and in some ways it makes sense. It's hard to explain every half-orc as being products of rape, and I feel like they've been shifting away from that since 3rd edition.

But it is still an awkward role to thrust gnolls into, especially since most people will only know them from WoW if not D&D. They don't have the same weight as orcs do, in a sense. And while a GM might appreciate being able to surprise his players with a foe that makes them go 'a who?' I feel like they could have pushed hobgoblins or bugbears into that spotlight much more easily, since those are at least more popular and familiar and can be explained about everywhere.
>>
>>51807340
>>51808375

If I recall from my 5th grade field trip, I think Aardwolves have stink glands like a civit. So would Aardwolf Gnolls be social and friendly, but ostracized for their smell?

>Ofcoursedeviantarthasrelaventpicture.
>>
File: 1448340958051.jpg (50KB, 500x682px) Image search: [Google]
1448340958051.jpg
50KB, 500x682px
>>
>>51803966
Eh, I like them better as spirit/demon tribal monsters than mindlessly evil

>>51804039
>Related query; would you consider this interpretation of gnolls to be "magical realm"?
Not really, why do you think it might be?

>>51804729
>No nips
Probably okay
>They're essentially softcore(? less super Chaotic Evil, more Chaotic Neutral) Slaanesh-as-a-pantheon worshippers.
But I actually think that's a good interpretation of them, savage, wild, and hedonistic, they're better served as monsters that are often (but not always) antagonistic but more due to a "Non tribe members aren't people" mentality than "HA HA TIME FOR EVIL"

>>51805054
I wouldn't, if only cause they're not humanoid enough (or magical enough) for them to seem like they could breed with humanoids to me
Maybe if it was a darker game or an ERP one I'd let them breed with humanoids but the result would be a gnoll for the most part

>>51805194
Too magical
Plus they work better as a race of femdomy musclegirls than not!Segrals

>>51805334
>>51805343
I'd prefer something halfway between 3 and 4 myself, 3 looks too top heavy

>>51807340
Spotted
>>
File: 0LSst3P.jpg (112KB, 750x700px) Image search: [Google]
0LSst3P.jpg
112KB, 750x700px
>>51803966
Gnoll posting is leaking

Holy shit this artist is fucking amazing
>>
>>51803966
Hyenas?
Does that mean that female Gnolls are huge, aggressive and have a pseudo-dick?
>>
>>51803966
I love that this is usually the topic of all Gnoll threads.
>>
File: roll to pin.jpg (994KB, 1200x1734px) Image search: [Google]
roll to pin.jpg
994KB, 1200x1734px
>>51811425
Also when they find a male they like they bully him gently
>>
File: 1427184823823.jpg (464KB, 876x941px) Image search: [Google]
1427184823823.jpg
464KB, 876x941px
>>51811447
I think it's either the same person making them, or it's just a change that a lot of people who like gnolls feel strongly about.
>>
>>51811354
Mostly because, y'know: matriarchy, drug use, hedonists, slavery... Really, the whole "will lay around partying all day if they can but will fuck you up if you try and spoil their fun-times" characterization thing.

>>51811425
I'm sorry, what? Where the hell is this coming from?

And, traditionally, no, gnoll females are nothing like that. In fact, if you go by the pre-5e fluff, gnolls are bog-standard patriarchal tribals, with males being the "big, strong, nasty leader sex".
>>
Anyone else feel like the fact that Gnolls are apparently able to perfectly mimic voices and noises goes underutilized?
>>
>>51811498
I like gnolls, think I may have made a thread or two myself but for my part I think it's the later, the official fluff just makes them bland and I think there's at least a few anons who want something better

>>51811521
>I'm sorry, what? Where the hell is this coming from?
Those are traits of spotted hyenas, which /tg/ sometimes assumes gnolls are based on

>>51811545
I honestly didn't know they could do that but that would be a cool power
>>
>>51811521
That weird idea came from the fact that spotted hyenas are like this IRL.
The females are larger, more aggressive than the males and have so much testosterone that they develop a pseudo-penis.
>>
>>51811577
>"The Voice in the Darkness: Folktales say that
gnolls can mimic voices to lure enemies into danger. "
straight from the Wizards of the Coast "How to play Gnolls" PDF
>>
>>51811498
That second reason is the primary issue. Gnolls ave been playable literally since the days of Mystara in 1e (The Orcs of Thar), and our last sighting of them was... well, see attached. Compare this to their writeup in Volo's Guide, and the 4e version has just so much more going for it, whether you want to use them as monsters or a cool race to shake-up the traditional lineup in your homebrew setting.

>>51811577
In 4e, they had the ability to get Ghost Sound as an at-will spell-like ability via a feat to represent just how good they were at mimicry.

>>51811595
Oh, I know what they're referencing, I was wondering what the pretext for bringing it up was, since I didn't even mention gnolls and the hyena connection in my opening post.
>>
>>51811617
I really enjoyed a lot of the content we got in the Volo's Guide but I was really disappointed that Gnolls were not included with the other playable monster races, I just wish they didn't double down on the always chaotic evil fluff.
>>
>>51811738
Yeah, unfortunately, some brilliant writer decided (apparently based on some poll they were running early into 5e) that despite having been playable as long as orcs had, the best way to distinguish gnolls from orcs was to double-down on gnollish chaotic evilness and completely remove any of the nuance they cooked up in the past edition.

Gods, I miss a lot of 4e's fluff...
>>
bump
>>
File: 1402180746219.jpg (75KB, 465x655px) Image search: [Google]
1402180746219.jpg
75KB, 465x655px
>>51812709
It's probably because 4e was met with so much criticism, anything good about it had to be thrown out with the bad (I know some people support it, but it obviously did not perform well). And perhaps gnolls were the perfect race to throw under the bus.
>>
>>51803966
5e is pretty cool, I'll admit. The whole demonic hivemind thing is nice, and I've used to really give my players a sense of horror and dread by playing it up.
Gnolls as an all evil race aren't something I usually agree with, but it does help drive home the whole 'worshipping demons, not even once' thing and get players to realise fiends are beings of PURE evil and can make other races such. Would have been nice if 5e had made it so Gnolls were 'stolen' from their original god, but it is still neat.
For one homebrew setting, I used Gnolls as a basis for one of the 'Races of the Night' but made them more wolf-like and stuff.
>>
File: 1438563510069.jpg (482KB, 1333x900px) Image search: [Google]
1438563510069.jpg
482KB, 1333x900px
I wrote up some Gnolls prior to 5e's rewrite of them. My players are too invested in their mystery now for me to go back.

The Gnolls of my setting are closer to Wolves in some ways, but are traditionally brutal and savage monsters. That is, until about 50 years ago, when they started acting...better? Adventurers would find themselves cornered by a Zombie horde, when out of nowhere, Gnollish Paladins and Clerics following a "Bright Lord" would swoop in and save the day. They show up at churches and city gates proselytizing about how they've come to save civilization from Evil, and that they've been reborn as servants of the Bright Lord, although they refuse to speak more about this guy.

They actually have been converted to "Good" by an Angel they found, a Solar trapped in an ancient Angel-Prison by the resident Fallen Empire of Magic and Evil (tm). While they take his words to heart and try to be "Good" despite it being fuckoff difficult for them, the Solar has gone mad waiting for rescue for the last 9,001 years. His prison is shielded from ALL forms of scrying and teleportation, so he's effectively been declared KIA by Heaven, so no one's coming to save him. He keeps sending the Gnolls on insane and foolhardy Crusades to recover holy artifacts because he thinks he can use enough of them to hack his prison and escape.

And once he does, he's gonna BURN the fucking planet to cinders. Hopefully, the Players will be able to rally the Gnolls to their side when they inevitably have to put him out of his misery.
>>
>The creature described as the gnole first appeared in 1912, in Lord Dunsany's 1912 story "How Nuth Would Have Practised His Art upon the Gnoles", and reappeared in Margaret St. Clair's "The Man Who Sold Rope to the Gnoles".

>Lord Dunsany's story gives little or nothing in the way of physical description of the gnoles, but they live on the edge of a sinister wood and watch intruders through holes bored in trees. They are said to own emeralds of very large size. In St. Clair's story they also live on the edge of a wood, watch through holes bored in trees and prize emeralds, but a "senior gnole" is described as looking "like a Jerusalem artichoke" and, although he has feet, has tentacles rather than arms and no ears. His eyes are small, red and faceted like a gemstone.

>The gnoll, as introduced in the earliest edition of the Dungeons & Dragons game, is the literary descendant of Lord Dunsany's "gnoles", who were clever, evil and nonhuman. In the Dungeons & Dragons "white box" set (1974), gnolls are described thusly: "A cross between gnomes and trolls (...perhaps, Lord Dunsany did not really make it all that clear) with +2 morale. Otherwise they are similar to hobgoblins..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnoll#Original_conceptions

Pic is a illustration by Sydney Sime that accompanied Lord Dunsany's story.
>>
File: Gnoll.jpg (250KB, 1200x1650px) Image search: [Google]
Gnoll.jpg
250KB, 1200x1650px
>>51815190
The modern D&D conception of the gnoll seems to have more in common with the Cynocephali, a race of savage dog-headed men said to have lived in the Africa or India in ancient and medieval writing.

>After traversing the Egyptian oasis one is confronted for seven whole days with utter desert. Beyond this live the Cynocephali along the road that leads to Ethiopia. It seems that these creatures live by hunting gazelles and antelopes; further, they are black in appearance, and they have the head and teeth of a dog. And since they resemble this animal, it is very natural that I should mention them here. They are however not endowed with speech, but utter a shrill squeal. Beneath their chin hangs down a beard; we may compare it with the beards of dragons, and strong and very sharp nails cover their hands. Their whole body is covered with hair--another respect in which they resemble dogs. They are very swift of foot and know the regions that are inaccessible: that is why they appear so hard to capture.
- Aelian

>Angamanain is a very large Island. The people are without a king and are Idolaters, and no better than wild beasts. And I assure you all the men of this Island of Angamanain have heads like dogs, and teeth and eyes likewise; in fact, in the face they are all just like big mastiff dogs! They have a quantity of spices; but they are a most cruel generation, and eat everybody that they can catch, if not of their own race. They live on flesh and rice and milk, and have fruits different from any of ours.
-Marco Polo

http://www.theoi.com/Phylos/Kunokephaloi.html
http://www.ancient-origins.net/myths-legends/cynocephaly-and-mythological-dog-headed-human-002577
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Travels_of_Marco_Polo/Book_3/Chapter_13
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cynocephaly
>>
>>51815583
>Cynocephali
Wasn't one of them sainted or something?
>>
>>51812709
>game designers run polls to determine what most people want from the lore
>how dare they want what I don't want!
Learn to live with democracy. I bet you also protested Trump's election.
>>
File: St. Christopher.jpg (434KB, 1254x1500px) Image search: [Google]
St. Christopher.jpg
434KB, 1254x1500px
>>51815829
Yes, St. Christopher. There are a lot of other medieval Christian stories about cynocephali. Here's some further reading if you're interested.

http://www.orthodoxartsjournal.org/the-icon-of-st-christopher/
>>
File: icon.jpg (161KB, 794x1021px) Image search: [Google]
icon.jpg
161KB, 794x1021px
>>51815829
Saint Christopher. He was disneyfied by the Catholic church who were worried that the plebs wouldn't worship a dog-headed monster and turned into a regular human. However, the Orthodox church still worships him in his original Cynocephalus form.
>>
>>51809546
The fact that Gnolls are a rather obscure piece of fantasy trivia is probably another point why /tg/ loves to add their own inspiration into them.
>>
>>51815868
Someone asked me why I don't protest Trump even though I hate the guy due to his sheer inexperience, ego, and ineptitude. To which I say "He is qualified according to the constitution, is lawfully elected, and a peaceful transfer of office took place."

I had to file a police report due to death threats on my answering machine.
>>
The local gnoll tribe in my game became professional undead-slaying mercenaries. This was more a consequence of environment than anything else. The gnolls were attacked by hordes of skeletons nightly thanks to a curse they carelessly invoked, forcing their warriors to hold them off until dawn broke. When the players broke the curse it left a lot of gnoll veterans with no use for their now quite specialized undead-slaying skills, so they hired themselves out. There's always a zombie infestation somewhere after all, and gnolls are nothing if not opportunists.
>>
>>51803966

No, because they're the only ones that occupy that design space in my world. If I want clever monsters, I have kobolds and goblins. If I want honorable monster men, I have hobgoblins. If I want Mongolian hordes, I have orcs.

Demon-worshipping mass-murderers who have an innate fear of starvation helps keep them distinct from the other monstrous races.
>>
>>51817529
How come kobolds are considered smart now?
>>
>>51811399
>half-celestial template
>>
>>51817611
They're good with traps and stuff - not smart, but clever.
>>
>>51817611
Tuckers kobolds.
>>
>>51807283
Still, goblins as a PC race in LotR is utter bullshit.
Much less a popular one.
>>
>>51815190
>>51815583
>>51815829
>>51815887
>>51815900
>IRL beastmen
Holy crap, this is amazing. I never knew I wanted this
>>
>>51804347
AD&D 1E Kobold's best Kobolds. Well, that and what mister >>51804971
>>
File: 1473172004716.png (243KB, 323x820px) Image search: [Google]
1473172004716.png
243KB, 323x820px
>>
>>51804039
>>51804055
You know, the more I look at this idea, the more I wanna use it for my own setting, but I could really use a hand figuring out the pantheon, if anons are willing? Making gods isn't something I've got a lot of practice with and I could really use some help.

Current thoughts I've got so far? Well...

In general: the pantheon is female dominated, with more goddesses than gods. This reinforces the matriarchal status of the gnolls, as assimilated from spotted hyenas.
>>
>>51824781
The Chief Goddess: A female deity who serves as the ruler and/or mother and/or lover (or both) of the other deities. Maybe make her a Lamashtu riff, with powers over nature & fertility, which is Lamashtu's portfolio (just twisted) in Pathfinder.

The War Goddess: This is either a gender-swapped expy of Yeenoghu, or else steals a little from Ishtar and is goddess of both war and love. Savage, primal, vicious; revel in the carnage and butcher those against you. If a Gnollish Ishtar, likewise encourages you to be fearless and passionate in love.

The Pleasure God/dess: Probably the closest thing to a straight-up "good" god in the gnoll pantheon. Gender-shifting party girl/boy, who encourages its followers to eat, drink and make merry. Hugely popular in the empire in its current stable position. Essentially a less grimdark Slaanesh in gnoll format.

The Hunting God: Oldest of the gods next to the Chief Goddess, probably her consort. A Gorellik-expy with a dash of Erathis, god of hunting, wisdom and virility. Has lost some prominence due to gnolls no longer being tribal hunter-gatherers, but still respected.

Gods of Magic: Not sure if there should be a single "God of Magic" figure, but gnolls in this empire would definitely favor AD&D's "Undead Master" kit, so there's certainly three specific mage-gods. God of Necromancy is the most powerful of the male gods in modern gnoll society, maybe a new consort and/or favored son of the Chief Goddess. Goddess of Conjuration is seen as the Queen of Fiends, summoning planar beings and forcing them to submit. God of Enchantment is an androgynous, whimsical creature, child of the Pleasure God.

God/dess of Chattel: Not sure if male or female suits this better; this'd be simultaneously the god of slavery and the god of agriculture, as the two practices are linked in gnollish eyes. Exhorts discipline and authority, but also not to abuse chattel. Stern, but not uncaring, really.
>>
>>51815583
>>51815887
>>51815900

This just makes me want to have my monotheist religion having converted some gnolls to their cause, but more as penitents. It's the ultimate show of faith that these dogs of a demon lord are made holy by the grace of their god. The gnolls still struggle with their hunger and drives from Yeenoghu, but temper it through harsh faith.
>>
>>51825033
I like the cut of your jib. You should do it!
>>
File: 1473027473849.jpg (41KB, 320x380px) Image search: [Google]
1473027473849.jpg
41KB, 320x380px
>>51825033
Imagine a Gnoll Paladin.
It'd be like a fuzzy Angry Marine: Armored as much as it can be, while screaming at people for worshiping evil gods.

Or hell, even just minor stuff that's not lawful and/or good.
>HEY!
>Stop littering or I'll see if Smite Evil works on your filthy ass!
>PICK IT UP!
>And don't let me catch you smoking so close to the Magi College again! That shit's liable to explode as is. Doesn't need you helping it along, dumbass.

Toss in using the disease and poison immunity to eat undead and end their blight upon the world. Could also fluff removing curses and the like as eating them.
>>
File: wolf knight.jpg (303KB, 1024x1170px) Image search: [Google]
wolf knight.jpg
303KB, 1024x1170px
>>51826059
>Imagine a Gnoll Paladin.
>>
File: gnoll paladin.png (824KB, 1200x1193px) Image search: [Google]
gnoll paladin.png
824KB, 1200x1193px
>>51826059
>>
>>51826059
>>51826244
>>51826290
I've had this idea of a gnoll paladin stuck in my head for a while, a gnoll paladin who due to a mix of old tribal sin-eater beliefs, semi-misunderstood teachings of her new religon's stance on redemption, and fondness for eating carrion, has come to the conclusion that it's her paladiny duties to eat ALL the evil and/or undead
>>
>>51826059
I prefer my Gnolls as only speaking the yipping language of Gnolls/Hyenas.

I see these pentient Gnoll paladins having muzzles engraved with holy writ, and chained to some kind of acolyte of cleric. Their holy symbols are heavy things that weigh enough to burden them.

When it's time for them to attack, holy words unlock the muzzle and release them.
>>
File: Gnoll cleric flail.png (234KB, 500x482px) Image search: [Google]
Gnoll cleric flail.png
234KB, 500x482px
>>51826059

I once played a Gnoll Cleric. He worshipped a God named 'God-In-The-Walls', which was essentially a primitive's view of civilized people.

Imagine you're a Gnoll and you see a wall. That wall then opens up and out pours knights, wizards, and all other scourges of humanity. Truly a powerful God lives in those walls. As a result, the Cleric turned to lawful society and humans because he believes that God lives in the walls even then.
>>
>>51826801
Holy attack dogs. I like it. I could see those who "graduated" from this roll being kind of like holy houndmasters. A big armored gnoll decked out in heavy chains and holy symbols and holding the leashes of his fellow gnolls, teaching them the discipline to reign in their fury and bloodlust in that special gnollish way. I'd think they'd still operate under supervision of a paladin or inquisitor except in rare instances.
>>
File: boneclaw_mother_by_ursulav.jpg (118KB, 600x750px) Image search: [Google]
boneclaw_mother_by_ursulav.jpg
118KB, 600x750px
>>51826801
Hyenas actually have a fairly complex set of vocalizations. Fuck Gygax and his ignorance of hyenas.

http://hyenatalk.weebly.com/meanings-behind-the-vocalizations.html

As to the rest of the thread, I think if you like gnolls and hyenas, you should read Digger at least once, even if just the hyena parts. Ursula Vernon really made an amazing characterization and culture for these hyena people, and many of the characters are excellent. From Ed the Exile and his weird speech patterns who fills in many of the myths of his people, to Boneclaw Mother who shows us the day to day life of the group and their power structure, to Grim Eyes who shows us your average hyena who accompanies the eponymous hero.

And its also a really funny and emotional comic too.

>>51827219
And those at high levels literally transform into hound archons, their canine-like souls becoming canine-like angels.
>>
>>51826059
>>51826801
>>51827219
I don't like the idea of redeemed gnolls being warriors. Putting a gnoll in a position to cause violence sounds to me like putting alcoholic in a bar and telling him to drink. I think they'd work better as weird pacifistic NPCs.

>>51827272
Sounds like a bunch of furry garbage to me.
>>
>>51827430
>I don't like the idea of redeemed gnolls being warriors.

I like my monotheistic religions incredibly Warhammer, so everyone fucking fights.
>>
File: eughwaaaht.gif (2MB, 315x400px) Image search: [Google]
eughwaaaht.gif
2MB, 315x400px
>>51827430
>That's furry garbage
>I want to make the gnolls pacifists
>>
>>51827430
Considering it was nominated for an Eisner award and has a Hugo award for Best Graphic Novel for 2012, it's a pretty good comic. Yes, the main character is a wombat, but the other characters consists of a statue of Ganesh, a hyena person, a shadow thing, multiple humans, and a whole host of much more strange things.
>>
>>51827219
I don't plan on making it a large thing. Converted gnolls are incredibly unique. I see it as the efforts of a particular Sister Superior of the church.
>>
>>51803966
I think I'm a minority here, but I rather enjoyed the writeup in Volo's Guide. All of my evil races have always been made up with feelings and personalities - and yet my players have never felt particularly bad for invading a friendly Kobold village and ruining their way of life.

For me, Volo's version of Gnolls is a switch-em-up. The idea of rampaging, ruthless, demon-possessed horde of anthro-hyena is very appealing to me.
>>
>>51827272
Maybe after death on very rare occasions. Idk, it just kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth personally. But then i dislike demons and celestials. Allways good/evil is boreing as fuck to me.

>>51827430
Look at it instead as taking the school bully and making him a linebacker to give him a "safe" outlet for his aggression while teaching teamwork and discipline. Gnolls are pretty much always going to have that aggressive streak and urge to assert dominance over weaker individuals, just kinda how their brains work.

>>51827748
I could see as few as 1/1,000 gnolls being willing, much less actually wanting to repent. Might be kind of a catch all "monsters and handlers" kind of outfit, not just gnolls.
>>
>>51814342
It did better than the prior edition, just as all dnd editions. It had terrible publicity however
>>
File: 1469847371374.jpg (162KB, 639x1251px) Image search: [Google]
1469847371374.jpg
162KB, 639x1251px
>>51826059
>>
>>51803966
Look, the only way to uncuck Gnolls from Yeenoghu is to have Orcus finally hit that faggot hyena for stealing his ghoul king, almost killing him and shattering his ribs, making a Female Gnoll who then proceeds to peg Yennoghu for all time as the mistress of brutality and femdom.

Remember, Hyenas operate on the very concept of sub/dom in all things, Gnolls are the same, but even then, the reason Gnolls got fucked in the first place is because their deity was lazy as shit, so they pretty hyena/coon anyhow.

Also, a remnder, Gnolls are the hunchback Hyenamen, and Flinds are th eones who have MASSIVEVE FUCKING SHOULDERS TO THE POINT WHERE THEY'RE UPPER BODDY IS HUEG AND THEY LOOK LIKE MANLETS/SKIPPED LEG DAY
>>
>>51805054
... hyena shifters?
>>
>>51817611
Because even back in Basic and AD&D days their intelligence was described as "average", meaning they're about as intelligent as a typical human; and they were Lawful (Evil), meaning a tendency towards organization and structure.

This carried through to 3rd Edition, where the typical kobold was given an Intelligence of 10, exactly the same as an average human (or elf, or dwarf, or whatever). Meaning that kobolds have the same potential for intelligence as any of the common races.
>>
>>51836167
I like to use Kobolds as the pinnacle of stupidity, bludgeoning their enemies with sword hilts while holding them by the blade and throwing arrows with their bare hands.
>>
>>51805054
No sir, I would not
>>
>>51803966
Did someone mention Gnolls?
>>
>>51836301
That's fair. Use them how you like. However, my kobolds are clever and reasonably intelligent, and this is much more in-line with how they've been printed in D&D.
>>
>>51805054
Sure. Gnolls are closer to their demonic kin in my world, but fiends are a lot closer to humanoids as well. I'd put them in as some sort of Tiefling variety.
>>
>>51803966
I use gnolls as an usually evil race but one that can still be reasoned with.
Gnoll druids are relatively respected by druids of other races and usually serve as a bridge for non-violent relations.
>>
>>51838301
Hmm, interesting. I once considered making gnolls and acouple of other "beastfolk" races into lesser fiends - native outsiders, in 3e parlance, but not always evil, who're capable of breeding with humans to produce Beastbrood type tieflings.
>>
>>51827272
Agreed about Digger. Boneclaw Mother is best dirty old woman.

Oh, Ed...
>>
The forgotten realms says that gnolls rarely make it to 40.

Isn't that a little short?
>>
>>51841385
Same reason kobolds and goblins have such short lifespans.

They drop like flies.
>>
>>51841674
Well, technically, kobolds can live to be well over 100 after third edition. I think the average "healthy old age" is over 120 in Pathfinder. Problem is, well, few of them get a chance to live that long.
>>
>>51841674

Kobolds theoretically could live long, goblins, orcs, and gnolls all drop like flies.

I wonder how long Hagspawn live for.
>>
>>51842401
Accrding to Unapproachable East, their first (and, to my knowledge, only) appearance, Hagspawn can live up to 100 years and are Venerable at the age of 80, which is kind of pathetic when you consider their haggish ancestry.

Hmm... I wonder; I've considered adapting Pathfinder's Changelings, but maybe Hagspawn can be folded into the race for something newer and more unique...
>>
>>51842509

They could be what a changeling grows up into
>>
>>51805054
Interspecies children are rare in my setting because with the exception of dragons, not everything can knock up everything else. There are magical ways around that but barring magical intervention, if a hyena bones a human no children result.
>>
File: 1473106665414.jpg (54KB, 617x742px) Image search: [Google]
1473106665414.jpg
54KB, 617x742px
When adventurers aren't around murderhoboing about, there are no caravans to raid, no runaway slaves to chase down, babys to eat for the gods glory (or fun)... what does the average day in the life of a gnoll look like in your setting?
>>
Holy shit, the thread is still going.
>>
>>51803966
For my games and stuff, I lift a lot from how gnolls are in the old Warlords games. Basically, they're creatures made of twisting men with chaos magic, alongside with minotaurs and the like. They're nasty creatures that breed like rabbits, give orcs a run for their money when running into each other, and have a hatred of dwarves that borders on the irrational.
>>
>>51843865
I actually kind of like 5e's take on them, where when they're not killing, they're desperately seeking stuff to kill.
>>
File: gnoll ages.png (13KB, 421x288px) Image search: [Google]
gnoll ages.png
13KB, 421x288px
>>51841385
Every other gnoll, that you face down in battle or try to woo, is a minor until they reach middle age. How does that feel?
>>
File: 1473025990446.jpg (73KB, 635x743px) Image search: [Google]
1473025990446.jpg
73KB, 635x743px
>>51844400
Nice full house.
I honestly hate that depiction but to each their own. Just seems so flat and bland. I like the undead but the rest is 3edgy5me.

i like my gnolls rude, crude, lazy and brutish but with a bit of a cowardly streak. Helps separate them from orks who WAAAGH! Until the last one drops. Not the best or brightest monsters but they're canny survivors who rarely miss an opportunity to indulge themselves.
>>
>>51843865
Depends on the setting/gnoll civilization, tribal ones, hunting, abusing slaves, and/or abusing other gnolls

"Civilized" ones, drinking, brawling, and abusing other gnolls

Fun Read: ERP ones, as above along with femdom and abusing other gnolls
>>
>>51844645
>"abusing"
>>
>>51844666
All night long
>>
File: 1449371987247.png (1016KB, 1280x732px) Image search: [Google]
1449371987247.png
1016KB, 1280x732px
>>51803966
>Gnolls have a large number of reversed gender rolls since female hyenas tend to be more dominant.
>The larger females are the warriors, laborers, thinkers, and leaders.
>The smaller males enjoy a more peaceful life of raising young, being home makers, and sometimes sedate careers like artisans or small-time spellcasters. This is at the cost of some rights like voting in tribe matters that the chieftess doesn't bother to overrule becoming female-only.
>A martial culture, the Gnolls respect personal prowess to a high degree. So highly, in fact, that even their males can rise above their roles if they show great skill outside what is expected of them.
>Religion is important to the average Gnoll. Although they have a whole parthenon of strange and sometimes demonic looking gods to be worshiped, a young gnoll is expected to pick only one as a patron god. The gnoll is expected to worship ALL the gods, but their patron is the only one to get personal offerings. Be that offering food, blood, art, or something more esoteric is up to the gnoll, but it MUST have value.
>Bad things happen to gnolls who do not make proper offerings...
>Gnolls are a rare sight outside of their arid homeland. It is unknown why, however, since the canine-like people boast a robust physiology and are certainly able to survive elsewhere. For this reason, this makes outsiders, traders and visitors quite the novelty to gnolls. That goes double for male visitors who follow normal gender roles. Such a male can expect a bombardment of attention both innocent and crude (but mostly crude) from female gnolls.
>It is often believed to be good luck to convince one of the tribal canines to travel with you, as their personal skill is as mythic as their willingness to travel to the outside world.
>>
>>51808683
dude, every dangerous thing starts as a cute baby.

you warp the plot, sir...
>>
>>51827625
correct. that poster is a dumbass.

i've always run Gnolls like Caribbean cultures. so, they look all cool and diverse and shit, but in truth,m they are cunning and savage people who worship really wierd shit, have no problem with shanking you in the night, and usually use ambush tactics.

think that one chica from Pirates of Caribbean but a gnoll....then give her nasty kins.

source: caribbeans who immigrate to the US have some really dark stories to tell about their culture...
>>
>>51846055
>.then give her nasty kins.
I have no idea what this means
>>
>>51846069
relatives and same-race who are a little ...off.

chicken sacrifice is a substitute for human sacrifice.
always villain laughs and talk of their god
naked babies
they ALL state at you across the room, and whisper without breaking LOS to you....
>>
>>51846105
Oh, sorry, seeing kin with an s threw me off, I thought it was already plural
>>
>>51804039
>>51804055
Fuck off and come back when you can describe your idea with your own words. It doesn't seem magical realm, but since you had to ask I'm sure it's your fetish anyway.
>>
>>51805272
Holy shit, Patch was my nigga.
>>
How big are gnoll supposed to be anyway?
>>
>>51846715
Depends on system/edition
Though they seem to range from 5'6" to 7'6", personally I like them on the bigger size but hunched over a bit to lose some of it
>>
>>51846715
It depends on the system and edition, though usually they seem to be somewhere around seven feet, even with a hunched back. Adds to their whole bestial appeal, I suppose. But I've seen plenty of people who have made them far shorter, especially to accentuate gender or species difference.

I'll post a pic or two when 4chan's not being a shit.
>>
Pics cam back then pics went away, I was hoping for more gnoll pics, maybe in the morning
>>
>>51804252
Feminine dicks
>>
>>51848356
More about femdom for me honestly
>>
>>51844832
>canines
What canines?
>>
In a prehistorinc setting you can have Cave Gnolls.
>>
>>51844508
That chart clearly states they are considered adults when they hit 8 y/o.
>>
I always wondered about that whole, 'Gnoll, Goblin, Kobolds, orcs' mature quickly thing. Does that mean that when an adventurer is cutting through a ravenous hoard of said monsters, they are actually cutting down creatures with so little experience that they are basically children that don't know any better?
Kinda makes sense to me, children are cruel awful little savages as is, put em in a 2 1/4 meters tall adult body, give em claws and fangs and you basically have gnolls and orcs and such.
Would also explain why those grow up quick monsters tend to be so stupid even though the stats never call for an INT penalty.
>>
File: teenage tau.jpg (70KB, 390x390px) Image search: [Google]
teenage tau.jpg
70KB, 390x390px
>>51850282
Yeah, which is still a minor in human terms.
>>
>>51850629
Which makes PC gnolls more compelling I find. They still retain the nature of their race, but it's tempered with discipline and wisdom as they are raised in an environment where they don't get picked off by adventurers
>>
>>51850629
Depends on how their mentalities work
>>
>>51844508
>>51851235
I'm pretty sure you're supposed to operate on what their maturity age is rather than yours. Otherwise you would be allowed to fuck an elf toddler legally because they'd be above the age of 18.
>>
Anons? Simple question; in a world were the basic setup is "humans, elves and dwarves used to be the only races, but they blew the place up in a magical world war and now lots of mutant races have arisen in the wasteland", do gnolls make sense as a not-always-evil tribal culture of hyenas that mutated because of all the magical not!fallout?
>>
>>51855959
yes
>>
>>51853839
How could an elf still be a baby at age 18?

If anything they'd be exactly as mature as a human would be by that age, then it takes a few lifetimes to reach elf maturity.
>>
>>51856527
It depends on edition.

Older editions, to my knowledge, implied elves physically aged slower than humans - perhaps not to the point that an 18 year old is still physically a toddler, but physically and mentally, it'd still be a small child.

4e went with the more sensible interpretation that long-lived races mature at the human rate, they just get a super-long period of "young adulthood" before they hit their version of middle aged.
>>
>>51856527
Not him but my head cannon for elves is the gestation period is a lot longer and they come out more developed than humans, to the point where an elf mother to be reading aloud a baby book may actually aid her unborn child in understanding her language
>>
>>51856645
It depended on setting. In 3.x elves were variously long childhoods or age like human then stop. The latter makes more sense.

>>51856654
I have never liked the longer gestation. It just doesn't jive with their lowered constitution and the ways in which gestation works when it comes to human sized animals. Which is also why they have such a lowered birth rate, the very real chance of mother and child not surviving pregnancy due to health problems caused by frailer bodies.
>>
>>51856751
>I have never liked the longer gestation. It just doesn't jive with their lowered constitution and the ways in which gestation works when it comes to human sized animals. Which is also why they have such a lowered birth rate, the very real chance of mother and child not surviving pregnancy due to health problems caused by frailer bodies.
Well part of it is I assume they're better adapted, not that it's hard, human bodies are actually pretty fucked up when it comes to childbirth, another part is I assume they know it'll take a HUGE investment of resources to last through gestation given it's length so most pregnancies don't really happen unless the elf is in a place to minimize the hazards involved the entire time
>>
File: Gnoll Dick Physics_1.jpg (257KB, 1920x1640px) Image search: [Google]
Gnoll Dick Physics_1.jpg
257KB, 1920x1640px
>>51804055
SCIENCE!!

i regret nothing
>>
File: Gnoll Dick Physics_2.jpg (234KB, 1366x690px) Image search: [Google]
Gnoll Dick Physics_2.jpg
234KB, 1366x690px
>>51858294
AERONAUTIC!!

utterly remorseless i swear
>>
>>51858294
>>51858319
I actually prefer my female gnolls dickless, odd I know
>>
>>51860759
Those posts are also really stupid. It ignores basic dick physic, and those of hyenas, who keep their junk in a sheath anyway. And penises tend to shrink to an extent in everyday activity as having a long thing dangling there all the time is actually painful and prone to injury.

Just another in a long line of super horny permavirgins needing to have everything be about sex. Worse than furries I tell ya.
>>
>>51844832
Gentle gnoll house-husbands sound so adorable what the hell.
>>
>>51861024
I know the guy tried really hard with his math, but no matter how hard I look at the picture, I can't see the sort of dick-indicators he's referring to. Even ignoring what you said about how dicks actually work, I don't think there's actually anything down there. It's just cloth doing cloth things.
>>
>>51862738
Well, yeah, that's what's going on. It's just that weird little horny fuckers keep mistaking artistic rendering of folded cloth as hidden dicks. Combined with their deep misunderstanding of dicks and how they work despite ostensibly owning one. And they've been doing it for a long ass time.
>>
Just a weird thought... since gnolls are sort of associated with hyenas being magically transformed, corrupted, whatever, how out there would it be for gnolls to begin life as ordinary hyenas, doing their hyena things, and then when they reach a certain age as hyenas, they grow into adult-formed gnolls and are adopted by the rest of the clan, who teach them how to handle themselves now they have opposable thumbs?

This, then, explains why you always see gnolls around hyena packs, and why they're so protective of the hyenas; those are the next generation of gnolls.
>>
>>51863082
I always assumed gnolls gave birth to litters of pups that started life as blind pups and as they grow they go from 4 legs to devolved arms and legs. a few weeks tops where they crawl on all 4s to walking like toddlers. only once has a player raised the specter of muscle and bone structure to ruin it.
>>
>>51863339
Huh, that's actually a good bit of world building, mind if I steal it?
>>
>>51863082
I prefer Gnolls reproducing the 5e way. Packs of hyenas eating the consecrated flesh killed by a chosen of Yeenoghu, causing them to mutate into a misshapen form of man. Humanoids who eat that same consecrated flesh become like ghouls.
>>
>>51864555
I would love for you to steal it.
>>
File: 1435657179355.jpg (93KB, 750x1061px) Image search: [Google]
1435657179355.jpg
93KB, 750x1061px
>>51804252
>You're mad. Why do we have a gnoll thread every other day? Why gnolls? Why are you people so obsessed with fucking gnolls?

Because D&D doesn't really have a core "wolffolk" race other than lycanthropes, which don't have their own culture/society.

So furfags jump on Gnolls, which are close enough and have the added benfefit of feminine psuedo-penises, being Hyenas and all.

Others just try to hamfist Catfolk into everything.

Scalies are all about Kobolds/Lizardfolk.

And Musclefags keep trying to redeem Orcs.

Lolrandumbs like their non-threatening Goblins and Kobolds.
>>
>>51809897

Hyenas are pretty much giant civets/mongooses.
>>
>>51867689
>And Musclefags keep trying to redeem Orcs.
Goddammit'...

Now I'm imagining an Orc in full /fit/ attire with a "Do you even lift bro"-attitude pumping irons in a gym...
>>
>>51867689

We need to have a Hag thread one day, but since Hags are ugly, they wouldn't be too popular.
>>
File: Muscle orcs.jpg (447KB, 1261x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Muscle orcs.jpg
447KB, 1261x1920px
>>51868041
>>
>>51858294
>tfw you're the P S E U D O P E N I S autist that ruined any and all gnoll threads for years to come entirely as a joke
Feels good man
>>
>>51867689
Technically, we do have a core wolflike race, in the form of Lupins (from Mystara), but since they haven't been part of a setting since Red Steel (AD&D 2e) and their last appearance was a 3.5 translation in Dragon Magazine #325, well, nobody remembers them.
>>
>>51870083
There is literally nothing wrong with wanting to have sex with a women with a dick shaped vagina.
>>
File: egg.webm (3MB, 534x360px) Image search: [Google]
egg.webm
3MB, 534x360px
Whenever people do a scavenging humanoid race, it's usually gnolls which are based on hyenas, but why don't people ever add vulture-folk to clash/contrast with them?
>>
>>51870510
Because nobody remembers that aaracokra (especially Athasian ones, who looked like vulture-folk) exists.
>>
>>51870510
The existent races that might work well in fantasy terms as vultures, with a little refluffing, would be harpies or tengu. But they're usually either seen as a nuisance, or generally smarter and less lazy than gnolls, not as scavengers - probably because gnolls are considered evil for their scavenging, combined with slave-taking and brutality.
>>
>>51805133
Why are they comparing them to a giant dildo?
>>
Ive been working on a fantasy "mad max" kind of setting after another anon gave me the idea with his gnolls.

These gnolls are a bit more civilized than most because they have to be. The world they live in is harsh and largely barren. They use vehicle like constructs for transport, fueled by meat just like the gnolls. There are three basic types. Two wheeled combat bikes, hummer style trucks and big ramming APCs. Convoys of these roam over vast stretches of land in search of prey, loot and slaves to drag back to strongholds where the bulk of the tribe lives.

Females tend to be larger and stronger than males, thus general hold higher status owing to their advantage in martial conflict. (No pseudos so don't even go there.) Spellcasters generally have their own hierarchy within the tribe based on their magical prowess rather than martial.

They worship yeanoghu and lamashtu as the father and mother of gnolls respectively. Males generally curry favor with yeanoghu whereas females devote themselves to lamashtus teachings. Each tribe has its own ballence as to which god holds more sway but lamashtu is generally held as the stronger of the two (being a proper god and not a demon lord) and thus holding more influence.

In their strongholds lives the grand matriarch of each tribe. It is her duty to oversee the well being of her tribe. The gnolls here live well on the backs of slaves. The unskilled are branded as physical laborers and spare meat while those posessing valuable skills are branded with the mark of their trade and the personal mark of the gnoll that owns them. Skilled slaves are a status symbol and thus highly valued and not seen belonging to any but the highest ranking tribe members. Such slaves live relatively easy lives as the status of their owner offers protection from others, they need only fear their master and those above him/her. Laborers toil in the fields growing crops for livestock (slaves included) until they die and are eaten.
>>
>>51873804
>Mad max gnolls
Y'know, that seems like it'd fit them really well
>>
>>51872731
Are you proud of yourself?
>>
File: 1473054526189.jpg (82KB, 400x603px) Image search: [Google]
1473054526189.jpg
82KB, 400x603px
>>51875663
Like bread and butter right?
I mean, they're already savage nomads used to harsh hot environments. Just add wheels, rage inducing combat drugs and a few strongholds from which to range and provede the basis for slave driven industry...

I like the idea of the slaves making primitive magitech guns for the gnolls. Mostly alchemical flash paper wrapped rounds for muzzle loaders or crude breach loaders, each with a tiny fire glyph in place of a striker or hammer. Blunderbuss loaded with glass, small chains, mangled or miscast bullets and my fave, rancid bone shards.
>>
>>51809546
>It's hard to explain every half-orc as being products of rape
>Extremely violent bestial race bent on domination and destruction
>Hard to explain rape
>>
>>51875967
My only issue with that is, I can't really see them as using vehicles OR riding animals, which is a pity, as that's 1/2 the theme
>>
File: Chackle.jpg (358KB, 527x832px) Image search: [Google]
Chackle.jpg
358KB, 527x832px
Hah, I thought i was the only one to make a farmer gnoll... A concept that veeeery few settings can support.
>>
>>51876317
Well, when they're ending up as part of adventuring parties who end up leaning good...I mean what, do orcs just have sex with ladies but leave them all alive? There's no stigma towards the children from other people, or even the mothers themselves? It kind of makes sense how 3.5e explained it, with more primitive tribes of humans on the edges of society willingly interbreeding with orcs, because hardier kids.
>>
File: download.jpg (9KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
9KB, 259x194px
>>51870510
>>
>>51880769
>that image
100% furry, you've gone too far
>>
>>51804971
like anyone really needs or wants yet another breed of magical cavedwelling midget
>>
>>51805334
could you stick 3's legs and 4's arms on 2's body? That'd do it
>>
>>51803966
>Honest question: have you ever changed gnolls from the bog-standard "ravening hordes of mindless demon worshippers" mold? Or is 5e's depiction of them pretty much everything you wanted out of them?
It's not an honest question if you ask the same one over and over again.
>>
>>51884640
You're right.

Which is why you condense most of that shit into goblins.

Xvarts, Snyads, Kobolds, all actually goblins.
>>
>>51868628
Hags are about rape, curses and boons, cannibalism, orphaned and alien children, and turning said children into monsters when they don't eat them.

So, you really don't want to go there if this thread is giving you issues.
>>
File: Warwick_HyenaSkin.jpg (544KB, 1215x717px) Image search: [Google]
Warwick_HyenaSkin.jpg
544KB, 1215x717px
>>51875663
>>51875967

Pic related.
>>
File: 1481938617675.png (217KB, 500x505px) Image search: [Google]
1481938617675.png
217KB, 500x505px
Borderlands Psycho Gnolls.
Enough said.
>>
>>51884553
Is it the posture? Or the generally friendly attitude?
I tried to maintain the bulky build, but the DMs setting called for 'civilized' 1930's style gnolls in his campaign.
Maybe emphasize the hunch back more? Less cartoony?
>>
>>51804055
You also don't need to discount the obligatory necessitation of advanced surgical proceedures stemming from the Gnolls.

The fact that their society is heavily into necromantic work, cannibalistic vivisection, and -should the pseudopenis be an actual thing in a nonsexual context- a necessitation of practical C-section procedures to improve birth rate of the society, or possibly give the option of a form of female circumcision to remove the potentially hazardous and lifethreatening appendage all together...
Mix this into the fact that they are probably as unrestrained by an ethics commitee as Joseph Goebbels, they probably have some of the most advanced medical technology available, but you're pretty unlikely to receive proper anesthetic and it may literally cost an arm, a leg, and a kidney.
>>
>>51886151
This... is actually some pretty good fluff... Totally using it... except for the psudo-peen thing... seriously, that's just weird...
>>
>>51886206
How so?
I mean you don't really need to bring it up, but if one of your players do, just casually mention that usually most get them surgically removed since it is inconvenient and can be a health hazard if they plan on having kids.

They also probably have much more extreme body modification surgeries, such as a recent fad of transplanting in human eyes once they start to get cataracts from old age in their twenties. They're rather fond of the way a human eyes look, and they go for quite the pretty penny on the black market, especially the vibrant green ones. A player with those might risk getting led out the backdoor of a shop into an alleyway by the shopkeeper when they're looking to buy something.
>>
>>51886288
That said the only reason I like the concept of the pseudopenis is exclusively because the surgical necessitation. It's interesting to think about specific medical issues that only a particular fantasy race has due to a different physiology. I know someone in Vet Tech and we talk about Centaurs a LOT more in depth than we probably should.

Back to the point, You can see multiple well-stiched scars on the abdomen of >>51804055 one is obviously newer than the other, and both in possible positions for a C-section...

Except if gnolls came up with the practice, it's probably not named after Julius Ceasar...
G-section sounds a little too weird
Would lead to a nice cultural insult though of mocking those of non-natural birth a "Gnollborn" dog/bitch, in a kind of MacBeth scenario.
>>
>>51886288
Eh, I guess I can see the logic in that... I just have enough secret magical realm crap in my campaigns without a race of burly animal women with psudo dix.
Maybe if I spend more time on here. You never know what kinks you'll eventually contract here on the chans.
But again, thanks for the fluff, I'm totally making this mad doctor stuff a thing in my campaign.
>>
>>51886372
That might be referring to some fluff I read a long while back, that gnoll children are supposedly so fierce that the child ripping its way out of the mothers womb is considered an auspicious sign of the childs future, and the mother that can survive such a thing is revered for her bad assitude.
>>
>>51886653
It's a Pathfinder pic, where female gnolls are universally Lamashtu clerics and so "claw c-sections" and having their mutant offspring rip their own way out of the womb are considered acts of holiness.

So, yeah, PF gnoll women tend to have a lot of belly scars.
>>
>>51886712
Thaats right, thank you anon I was really scratching my head as to where I heard that from.
All this gnoll fluff is coming just at the right time for me since I have them appearing some time soon in my campaign.
>>
>>51886151
They wouldn't need to remove the appendage, and would more than likely keep it. Instead what could happen is if they still want to give birth without a c-section, would be for them to cut a hole into the vagina from the scrotum, giving them a false vulva, whether just for birth or for a longer period.

Pups are already passing that region, my as well just make it a straight shot out instead of turning.
>>
>>51887153
Not the anon you were debating with but...
Why include the pseudo if you're just going to make it pointless with surgery? I'm all for world/racebuilding (even if TG considers it literary masterbation) so i just wonder what this detail helps tell the players about your gnolls.
>>
File: 1434319913884.jpg (109KB, 750x845px) Image search: [Google]
1434319913884.jpg
109KB, 750x845px
>>51886046
Generally as I understand it, furry is most when it's animal head on human body. Emphasizing the 'hump' would help.

Aside from that, it's up to interpretation. Might be the cartoony, friendly looking style of the face, but something can be considered pretty furry when it's got a more dog-like face anyway and less expressive features. Personally, I think the big arms make it look more Disney-ish, so it's really up to what you're willing to live with.
>>
>>51811425

Only one species of hyena are like that, Anon. There are, like, four? Think of the poor striped hyenas, and the aardwolves, and... the other one I can't remember but I know exists. Hold on.

Brown hyena.
>>
>>51887709
The who what now?
I have literally never seen an official Gnoll with any kind of pattern that isn't spots, short of the occasional one with red demon flesh
>>
>>51887480
Sex, and ideas about sexual organs from premodern peoples, like the romans and such. Did you know that Romans and greeks used to have boundary markers with penises sticking out of them called Herma that served as magical protection? Now imagine what a race where every member had such an organ. Do you think that they would voluntarily remove this phallus to be less than other members of that race? Do you think the bigger females would surrender their wholeness to make the lesser males greater in this aspect? No. They will maintain as much of their person and their god given sexual bits as much as possible.

Your question utterly ignores their sexual attitudes and how sex for them works, looking only at its simple utility in the process of childbirth. Take a step back and consider the whole of the organ and how it works, why its the way it is, and how the people would use it.

This little detail is about the various minor details that differentiate this species from others, about showing how different they are from humans.

>>51887709
These ones are always trotted out to counter the spotted hyena dominance, but you ask any random person to describe a hyena, and the majority will tell you spotted hyenas. Face it, those ones are boring and not what gnolls are based on.
>>
>>51887822

I feel like I've seen at least one or two striped gnolls.
>>
>>51887866
>>51887822

Fair enough, but when was the last time anyone gave female gnolls pseudopenises and was actually faithful to the biology? No actual capacity for erection or penetration, dominance/submission displays being about licking each other, et cetera.

Besides, if you've blended human physiology into them enough to give them an upright posture and hands and tits on their chest and so on, it'd be easy to say their junk has been switched to be more human-like as well. Is a humanoid, tool-using, clothes-wearing version of a gnoll really going to be continuing the same specific posturing behavior as a feral quadruped?
>>
>>51887705
Yeah, I'm more of a Disney inspired artist.
I don't mean to raise a taboo subject, but I must admit that, as a fantasy character artist, these distinctions strike me as rather pedantic. ... were I a more frequent user of 4chan I might even describe it as being a bit autistic on the issue.
>>
>>51887705
Not you anon, I mean in a more general sense with my recent dealings on this site.
>>
>>51887962
Anon, female spotted hyenas can get erect and penetrate.

Anon, the hyena pseudo penis isn't that way for displays, its that way due to hormones and genetics. Non spotted hyenas greet each other in very similar ways to spotted hyenas and this is due to being quadrupeds. Even if made humanoid (note: not actually blending human physiology, that's just all kinds of retarded), they would retain this, as it doesn't really affect anything intrinsically tied to being a quadruped. It's very much a sort of side effect of the way in which females came to dominate over the males via having much higher testosterone and androgens within their bodies. Even if they evolved or were uplifted via magic, they would retain this as it's kind of fundamental towards being a female spotted hyena and retaining their place among the top spot.

More than likely gnolls would adopt any of the various ways in which humans greet each other, handshakes, hugs, "kissing" of the cheek, etc.

Why do you dislike this notion of their genitals being weird so much?

>>51888181
>>51888243
Dont try and understand it, i've been here for forever and it's a constantly shifting definition that is different for every anon.
>>
>>51888428
The general way things go is "More Grimdark = Less Furry"
Where the "Furry" threshold lies is different for most people, but the general rule of thumb is that if it looks like it belongs on a metal album cover versus a disney film, you're safe from it being called furry.
95% of it is stylistic habits of the artist, /tg/ just has a habit of liking its beastfolk grim and grime and primal
>>
File: gnolltypes.png (776KB, 1500x1100px) Image search: [Google]
gnolltypes.png
776KB, 1500x1100px
Well I've posted this before but let's have another go and see if I get any more feedback.

The version of gnolls I've been building lately is one in which they were originally standard beastfolk created by the hyena god, but an arch-demon who busted his way out of hell ate them to become a demon god. He cursed the hyenafolk with eternal hunger and promised that only he could relieve them from it, to take their servitude, but they turned on him, managed to drag him down and ate him alive, that being one of the few ways for mortals to put a demon god down without him just coming back.

So the hyenafolk trapped his demonic soul in their collective bloodline and became gnolls. They gained all sorts of demonic qualities and have strong urges to do evil things, but are technically still free-willed mortals and have more dormant divine qualities as well since the demon they ate had already eaten a god. They split into a set of different races/castes based on what part of the demon god their ancestors ate. The ones who ate the limbs became huge warriors who crave conquest and glory, the ones who ate the brain and head meats became cunning, greedy merchants/artisans/mages, the ones who ate the guts got more of the god stuff and are more neutral with druidic/nature tendencies, and the ones who ate the remaining heart lungs and other soft organs became a hearty hedonistic labouring class with immense endurance. There are a variety of cool powers and positive and negative mutations that each of the classes can get, and madnesses they're prone to, and sometimes a kid pops out as a runty heavily-mutated wretches who, if they don't get killed right away, form a despised underclass.

They're mostly evil, but aren't usually servants of the dark powers, since their history gives them a sense of hatred for/superiority to demons. They also feel superior to other races (what demon god did YOU defeat?) and generally follow an NE druidism "hurr we r super predators" religion/philosophy.
>>
>>51867689

/All race threads
>>
>>51888506
Pretty cool, if not exactly my style.
>>
>>51888506
I really really like this image
>>
>>51888506
Give more.
>>
>>51884305
Except it doesn't make sense, think about how racist people generally are. Then think about how bestial orcs appear in FR sort of half ape pig men. Look to real world examples. Orcs are just a personification of the worst of humanity at its most violent and evil. As far as leaving women alive afterward, take you pick as far as reasons go. Again there are real world examples to draw from, which is really what all fantasy is drawn from, real world examples. People wouldn't willingly interact with a species like that except to slaughter them. The half orc infants would largely be killed at birth or aborted before it got that far if possible.
>>
>>51887905
I've seen one decent striped gnoll (pic attached), but I can't say that it's a very popular color for them.

>>51887866
Yep. Penises were all over the place in the Greco-Roman world; they warded off bad luck. The minor diety Priapus, whose name is still invoked in some medical terminology relating to the penis, was a comedic god with a huge cock who also served as a guardian of the house against thieves, promising a vigorous raping of anyone who stole from those who invoked him.

And hyenas themselves have a significant connotation with sexuality. Spotted hyenas were long believed to be hermaphrodites, or at least gender-benders; Aesop wrote two fables on the subject, one about a hyena couple ("what goes around comes around", essentially) and one about a fox rejecting the suite of an enamored hyena ("don't hang around the two faced"). Striped hyenas are symbols of love and lust to the point they still make talismans from their genitals and anuses in Africa today that are believed to help secure love. Or at least lots of easy sex.

So, yeah, really, there's a reason why I always thought that gnolls make more sense allied with a Slaanesh-style god than a mere mindless killer like Yeenoghu.
>>
>>51888481
.... So... my farmer gnoll, custom made for a very specific 1930s setting, would be more acceptable if he were dressed like a teenage frequent shopper at Hot Topics with too much eyeshadow, smoking unfiltered cigarettes and depicted brooding over, and make bad poetry on the meaninglessness of life.
...Gotcha, thanks for the clarification.

I think I'm just going to take >>51888428 's advice and not try to understand it.
>>
>>51888820
>Or at least lots of easy sex.

Yeah, that's Africa.
>>
File: 1405292724319.png (2MB, 1650x675px) Image search: [Google]
1405292724319.png
2MB, 1650x675px
>>51888181
And that's not a bad thing - and overall, the differences are arbitrary. Blacksad and Lackadaisy could be called furry, but no one does.

It's really a matter of presentation, I guess. Generally if it's more monstrous or grimdark - not edgy goth, necessarily - it's more acceptable. I don't especially care - people will get their rocks off to thinks I don't like, even if I make my gnolls the ugliest sacks of shit on the planet. People will find things attractive even if I try to make them not, and crowing about the difference doesn't do much. Your farmer gnoll is fine to me, and I'm interested in where and how he fits in in a 1930s setting.
>>
>>51888999
From what I understand of the DMS setting, its basically the big empire that employed the services of monstrous mercenaries eventualy got its crap together, mellowed out and integrated those that served as warriors in ancient times as citizens.
The character is a young man who was being groomed by the family shamans to eventually take over the job of communing with and enriching the crops and fields that the gnolls were granted in ancient times. With the technological boom of the 1930s, he watched as their shamanic ways were slowly being replaced by breakthroughs in agricultural technology. He sees no future in the role he was being groomed to fulfill. Now he just wants to see the world at least once before deciding whether he will conform to his peoples traditions, tiring himself both body and soul to that small plot of land.
>>
>>51888999

I think it's less "monstrous or grimdark" than it is them not being treated as attractive, or even as just not "normal". Like, if they're basically just humans with fur, tail and an animal head, that's furry. If you make them sort of Other or alien, that's not furry. Monstrousness can do that, grimdarkness can do that, but there are other ways to do it as well.

Basically, it has to be clear there's a reason or purpose behind their animal qualities other than "I like animal people". In the case of Blacksad, for example, being animal people makes them "aracial" and removes the instinctive judgements/reactions that human readers would have to actually seeing them as a particular race, even though the characters are explicitly linked to particular human races in the story. Human beings react differently, emotionally, to other humans than they do to non-humans, even if those non-humans are almost entirely human in most respects.
>>
File: 00dwynen-s-elite.jpg (255KB, 1050x792px) Image search: [Google]
00dwynen-s-elite.jpg
255KB, 1050x792px
>>51804039
>Driving philosophy of the gnolls is hedonism: the purpose of life is to seek pleasure and indulge yourself. They lean strongly as a race towards Chaotic Neutral; self-centered, impulsive and lazy, but not inherently hostile towards other races as a matter of default. A typical gnoll wants to throw parties where she can lounge around on silk divans wearing shiny jewelry whilst eating and drinking herself into a stupor, not destroy cities and eat live babies.
>The empire also makes heavy use of conventional slavery. As such slaves are required to do tasks that require independent thought and finesse, however, they are not as oppressed and downtrodden as they might be. A living slave is a valuable piece of property and treated as such. It's even possible for a slave to win freedom through loyalty and skill.
Sounds like Lorwyn Elves.
>>
>>51887866
First off, i insinuated nothing so I'm not sure why you're taking such an adversarial tone with me. I meerly sought your reasoning for wanting to include the pseudopenis yet cut a big hole in it, effectively rendering the organ useless. (Unless i misunderstood your meaning and the incision was healed post birth) i also never said anything about removing it wholesale and made sure to mention i wasn't the other anon who seemed to be advocating some form of female circumsision.

The core of my question was to ask your "why?" For making this an integral part of your version of gnollish culture. To which if I'm reading correctly is to highlight their difference from humans.

To my thinking it would be difficult for anyone to present these diffrences to the average player without seeming like it was inserted for fetish reasons/gross out factor. It seems to me like it's an obtuse point to spend so much effort justifying just to highlight how different gnolls are from humans.

All that said, it's no skin off my nose so go right ahead if that's the way you want to present gnolls in your settings.

P. S. Pseudos are part of my magical relm so I'm definitely not hatin.
>>
>>51827142
i like that idea
that is a fun idea
>>
>>51890207
I'm sorry if that came across adversarial, sometimes my writing takes on a tone I don't mean when I have a headache.
The anatomy I was talking about is cutting a hole directly through the scrotum, an area much lower. When giving birth, a pup must travel down the vagina in much the same fashion as humans, until it reaches near the scrotum, where it takes a hard turn and goes up into the pseudo penis. Instead of turning, instead the pup is birthed through the scrotum. If you look at the bottom left picture, you'll see the distances involved. And it would probably be healed post birth.

I can be terribly autistic about worldbuilding, fleshing out all the tiny little details.

And yes its to give more differences to humans, and its really only a small detail that doesn't really need much exposition on unless it comes up in appropriate situations. I ignore the whole fetish/magical realm talk since the people I play with tend to be more mature and understand that sexuality was quite rampant in the old days. This doesn't mean we ERP though as we aren't using this to get off like many of the horny little autists that frequent this board do.

Agreed on pseudos. There is something very hot about them, that I just can't explain. But what goes on in the bedroom doesn't go to the game table.
>>
>>51890512
It's all good anon, no offence taken. It's good you're self aware enough to recognize you go overboard with worldbuilding. I'm in the same boat with you there, i agonize over obscure points that will likely never come up because i fucking NEED my shit to be internally consistent. My players get a little glassy eyed after knowledge rolls sometimes as i explain high science through the lense of midevil understanding of the natural world.

I'm jelly you've got such mature players, i got a grognard murderhobo, two noobs and an evil mastermind. Not that we don't have fun but i can't exactly aim for Game of Thrones when the group can barely keep themselves in check in an episodic Adventure Time style game.
>>
>>51890963
>It's all good anon, no offence taken. It's good you're self aware enough to recognize you go overboard with worldbuilding. I'm in the same boat with you there, i agonize over obscure points that will likely never come up because i fucking NEED my shit to be internally consistent. My players get a little glassy eyed after knowledge rolls sometimes as i explain high science through the lense of midevil understanding of the natural world.
In that case world build for the sake of world building, not for showing off to your players
>>
Out of curiosity, you guys know hyenas are felids, right? You can see it in their skulls.
>>
>>51888506
This art style seems familiar, but I can't quite place it. Do you post on tgchan, by any chance?
>>
>>51825033
My cleric og pelor did this with a tribe of gnoll POWs, and they took up weapons and armor in service to Pelor, eventually becoming paladins
>>
File: 1473054335752.jpg (19KB, 257x350px) Image search: [Google]
1473054335752.jpg
19KB, 257x350px
>>51893459
It's a sickness.
But i don't want to be cured.

It's my time I'll waste as much of it as i want to because it makes me happy.

Also, does anyone else feel the desire to have inbred hillbilly gnolls lurking in the hills, making moonshine and kidnapping Valley folk to work on their "farms"? I feel like gnoll shine would make you go blind sooner rather than later but the mental image of pic related sitting in a rocking chair chewing on a corn cob pipe and swilling shine from a clay jug with "XXX" on it just feels so right. What would "ya'll ain't from 'round here are ya?" Sound like in gnollish?
>>
>>51894470
They're more closely related to mustelids actually.

Hyenas are dire weasels.
>>
>>51804252
It's definitely the futa dicks.
>>
What a great thread.
>>
File: leucrotta.jpg (19KB, 300x360px) Image search: [Google]
leucrotta.jpg
19KB, 300x360px
>>51897913
What do you think about the Leucrotta being related to gnolls?
>>
>>51894470
They're fucking weird, that's what they are. They look like dogs, but they're related more to cats or weasels.
>>
>>51899506
I think it's a legendary/mythical version of a hyena - mimicking human noises like laughter and crying, sneaky, and they eat people.
>>
GOD DAMN THE THREAD IS STILL GOING JESUS CHRIST HOW PEOPLE ARE DEDICATED I THOUGH MODS WOULD CLEAR THIS THING OUT SO FAST IN FEAR OF POSSIBLE FURRIES
>>
File: carnivora.jpg (148KB, 1200x901px) Image search: [Google]
carnivora.jpg
148KB, 1200x901px
>>51901303
Gnoll threads are a /tg/ pastime. We have been having them for years. Why stop now? They are a legitimate topic, especially after what 5e mangled them into.

>>51894470
felifoms, not felids. felids are cats, felifoms share the same branch on the split of carnivora, with the other being caniforms such as bears, wolves, and skunks.

This is also a bump, just because I want to see the thread make it a week.
>>
>>51803966
ITT: pictures by people who can't be bothered to google how a net works
>>
File: 1401602993638.jpg (300KB, 1280x895px) Image search: [Google]
1401602993638.jpg
300KB, 1280x895px
>>51902485
How does a net work? Now you've got me curious. They always seemed unwieldy.
>>
>>51902939
>>51902939
One swings it above their head and lashes out with it to entangle, then moves in with another weapon to land the killing blow.
Alternatively one can use the weighted edges as a scourge to lash or wrap an ankle and trip.
Pretty versitile but not lethal by itself.

OPs pic seems to be a cast net, a fishing tool. Those are used by bundling them flatly over the arms and hurling them with a twist of the body. The spin opens it and the weights drag it down over the fish and it is realed in by the attached rope. Pulling this tugs the weighted edges in and hopefully traps the fish. Its thin webbing makes it a shit weapon.
>>
File: 1263333790.skadjer_crosser.gif (144KB, 850x600px) Image search: [Google]
1263333790.skadjer_crosser.gif
144KB, 850x600px
>>51804971
>>51821508
Nyet
Y
E
T
>>
>>51884855
Gold right there
>>
>>51884855
>>51903557
Agreed, great modern gnoll
>>
File: 1401612076587.png (1MB, 1600x862px) Image search: [Google]
1401612076587.png
1MB, 1600x862px
>>51905033
Most other non-fantasy gnolls are just 'not!Africans,' though there's some sci-fi gnolls out there.
>>
Bump, ~12 hours to go and it'll be up for a full week
>>
File: 1138576381f352f7d1c5cc7b21961a25.jpg (368KB, 1161x748px) Image search: [Google]
1138576381f352f7d1c5cc7b21961a25.jpg
368KB, 1161x748px
>>51908227
It already says 7 days for me when I hover over the date.

Also, goddamit I really need to sort my pictures.
>>
File: gnoll archer.jpg (49KB, 400x567px) Image search: [Google]
gnoll archer.jpg
49KB, 400x567px
>>51908393
I don't know how long these threads have been on and off, but it's always nice to see a few pictures I don't have. Almost worth this thread sticking around so damn long.

Most of the discussion, unfortunately, goes in the same circles, unless someone has a new idea for gnoll culture or something like that.
>>
>>51808852
>Cats.
>Not monsters.
Even after thousands of years since we domesticated them they are still assholes and kill things just for laughs.
>>
>>51815583
They are baboons. They love to eat gazelles alive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUPhRYi_caY
>>
>>51908393
6 days and 20 hours for me
>>
>>51909784
They're adorable assholes though
>>
>>51856527
How could a human still be a baby at age 1?

If anything they'd be exactly as mature as a dog would be by that age, then it takes a few lifetimes to reach human maturity.
>>
>>51888771
>The half orc infants would largely be killed at birth or aborted before it got that far if possible.

Which is why it's hard to explain where all the half-orcs come from using only rape.
>>
>>51915450

Sexy times with slaves
>>
File: DisdainForPleb.jpg (41KB, 600x693px) Image search: [Google]
DisdainForPleb.jpg
41KB, 600x693px
>>51915450
>hard to explain
>Makes due with shit explanation
>Supports bubblewrap lore for the oversensitive

Absolutely plebeian anon
>>
>>51915950
Tribal humans would interact with orcs more and see them as less bestial and more attractive in some senses, I could understand why it might happen in a fantasy world.

'Bubblewrap lore for the oversensitive' may actually be shit, but it at least it sounds sensible than women deciding to keep rape babies for no good reason.
>>
>>51915780
>:53 No.51915780â–¶
>>>51915450
>Sexy times with slaves
>>>
> Anonymous 02/26/17(Sun)12:28:45 No.51915950â–¶>>51917382
>File: DisdainForPleb.jpg (41 KB, 600x693)
>>>51
That's called rape, lad.
>>
>>51918121
What the fuck kind of post is that
>>
File: DnD_Gnoll.png (639KB, 848x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DnD_Gnoll.png
639KB, 848x1200px
>>
File: gnoll_by_kczhang-d7yol42.png (673KB, 481x711px) Image search: [Google]
gnoll_by_kczhang-d7yol42.png
673KB, 481x711px
>>
File: tumblr_ohab6izPF51qjmy9do1_1280.png (224KB, 871x901px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ohab6izPF51qjmy9do1_1280.png
224KB, 871x901px
>>
>>51917382
>Tribal humans would interact with orcs more...
>Interact with orcs
>Orcs interacting with anything and not committing horrible acts of violence and depravity
>This "interacting" leading to anything but more violence and generations of feuds/grudges
>slave women kept by orcs being given a choice about keeping the infant
>Human women killing halfbreeds without exception

Get a grip anon
>>
File: tumblr_o60kfv8NeL1qjmy9do1_1280.png (178KB, 783x476px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o60kfv8NeL1qjmy9do1_1280.png
178KB, 783x476px
>>
>>51920391
Why would a orc male want a half-orc? Why would they even take slaves? Why would these half-orc children go out and be adventurers?
>>
>>
>>51920639

>Why would an orc male want a half-orc
Maybe they want some smart orcs
Maybe they don't care either way
Maybe its out of spite

>Why would they even take slaves?
Maybe they're low on females and want to blow off some steam
Maybe they have male and female slaves for doing whatever orcs want done and just use the slaves for "entertainment" too

>Why would these half-orc children go out and be adventurers?
They've got no home, no prospects outside adventuring, guard/merc work or going bandit/warlord
>>
>>
File: zucchi___d1_by_shirakei-danwmxq.jpg (139KB, 1024x839px) Image search: [Google]
zucchi___d1_by_shirakei-danwmxq.jpg
139KB, 1024x839px
>>
File: scruffe_by_polarflared-da0egv8.png (559KB, 1023x653px) Image search: [Google]
scruffe_by_polarflared-da0egv8.png
559KB, 1023x653px
>>
>>
File: gnolls_by_meg_james-da5l925.png (292KB, 720x765px) Image search: [Google]
gnolls_by_meg_james-da5l925.png
292KB, 720x765px
>>
>>
File: 1473020661694.jpg (94KB, 723x1132px) Image search: [Google]
1473020661694.jpg
94KB, 723x1132px
>>
File: 1472855869588.jpg (486KB, 1275x1650px) Image search: [Google]
1472855869588.jpg
486KB, 1275x1650px
>>
File: 1472948187731.png (862KB, 699x411px) Image search: [Google]
1472948187731.png
862KB, 699x411px
>>51922338
Who else wants to see gnolls with guns?
>>
>>51922366
How about post apocalypse gnolls with guns?

But yes, gnolls with guns is awesome.
>>
And thread is now on autosage.
>>
File: hyena_crossing_by_screwbald.jpg (172KB, 842x612px) Image search: [Google]
hyena_crossing_by_screwbald.jpg
172KB, 842x612px
>>51922459
I'm the anon who posted>>51873804 and >>51875967 so I'm right along with you. They seem such a natural fit for the irradiated wastelands of the future. I planned to make gnolls a primary threat right next to running out if fuel or water. Their tendency to take slaves makes it so losing to a roving band doesn't nessisarily mean death.
>>
>>51808714
And destroy, but only sentient beings.

They really should stop with the eyeliner.
>>
>>51815062
Don't do this to the strange dog people!
They are good boys!
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 94

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.