[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /tg/ think of this series of books?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: Xeelee_omnibus.jpg (24KB, 262x400px) Image search: [Google]
Xeelee_omnibus.jpg
24KB, 262x400px
>>
Can we have a TL;DR for lazy anons?
>>
It makes the Imperium of Man look like pussies and lucky bastards.
>>
>>51801108
humanity is one of many butt-monkeys of a universe-spanning war between a super advanced specie named the Xeelee who, if I remember correctly, may or may not originate from a former universe, and a race of hyperintelligent space creature made out of black matter that feed on stars named the photino birds. Having access to so much more black matter than the xeelee to regular matter, the outcome is inevitable due to the sheer logistical advantage. Battles span entire galaxies and takes millions of years. At some point the xeelee try to excape the universe, building a portal out of millions of galaxies assembled into a ring. The photino birds throw galaxies a relativistic speed at it to try and destroy it.

So year, Kardashev scale up to 11. Humanity barealy appears on their radar and struggle in a dominate or be dominated universe with countless aggressive races.

And those guys have nothing on the Manifold Trilogy's Downstreamers.
>>
>>51801351
that was for you >>51801132
>>
>>51801351
Do make sure you're accurate Anon. The Xeelee left a long time ago, all other species of the universe scavenge their technology. Humanity figures out what's going on with the stars and takes an epic journey to follow the Xeelee out of our universe. It's a cool trilogy, and interesting hyper-technological stories. But you're correct in that the Xeelee make everyone look weak.
>>
Evolution is the superior Baxter work, because the natural history of life on earth and our species is more interesting than autistic physics masturbation
>>
>>51801471
That's only the case for one of the first four books written (Ring, which Timelike Infinity, Raft, and Flux were all building up to).

Most of the subsequent books have been about the sordid and fucked-up history of humanity between our first expansion into space and the premature end of the universe.
>>
>>51801351

Nope, Xeelee originated in the first couple of seconds after the big bang, spread their empire across the universe before things started to cool too much, eventually used time travel to go back and fuck with themselves to try and fight the photino birds, eventually decided it was easier to build an escape hatch out of the universe.

After humanity is conquered by a race of sentient puddle-ripples, humanity ultimately rebels, becomes really xenophobic, forms the Imperium of Man, pushes every alien race they find either into extinction or out of the galaxy - they especially fear the xeelee because they mistake the escape hatch for a giant weapon, and so briefly defeat the Xeelee by threatening to blow up the blackhole at the center of the galaxy where the xeelee kinda lived (because they evolved early in the universe when physics were different due to the high energy state).

Many years after ousting the xeelee from the milky way galaxy, Xeelee came back and encased the entire human race in stasis that only ended when the escape hatch was finished and the Xeelee had fucked off and the photino birds had begun attacking the escape hatch, giving humanity a brief chance to escape themselves.
>>
>>51801727
>Xeelee originated in the first couple of seconds after the big bang

Ah, i wasn't sure any more. I read the books a long time ago. thanks for the precision.
>>
>>51801727
No, that black hole contained the Monads who slumber inside black holes after they made the universe.
>>
>>51801108
Didn't like it, didn't care about any of the characters or the high concept.
If I have to have the physics explained to me every other paragraph, I don't want to read it.
>>
>>51801140
Forerunners, too.
>>
ICoG >>>>>>>>>>>> IoM

Also, you all have fucking top tier taste.
>>
>>51802250
>writes about shit that makes no sense whatsoever
>still bothers to try explaining physics
kek
>>
File: 9174721.png (16KB, 361x61px) Image search: [Google]
9174721.png
16KB, 361x61px
>>51803311
>makes no sense whatsoever
>>
>>51801108

a clusterfuck of autistic proportions and a buttload of autistic fanboys

it makes 40k look simple and better
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.