[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In fifth edition, how does the duration of Polymorph and True

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: Popsicle wizard.jpg (55KB, 498x280px) Image search: [Google]
Popsicle wizard.jpg
55KB, 498x280px
In fifth edition, how does the duration of Polymorph and True Polymorph work? I'm convinced that it lasts either for one hour or as long as you can concentrate decided at casting. My friends, however, are saying that Polymorph and True Polymorph only last up to one hour if you concentrate for up to an hour (with the exception for true polymorph that it becomes permanent after an hour of concentration).

I could be incorrect, I'd like the answer from people who know better because I'm very confused on the wording.
>>
File: Minnie May Bullshit.jpg (50KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
Minnie May Bullshit.jpg
50KB, 480x480px
>>51798424
Are you retarded or do you just not read the fucking rules? The spells say, "Concentration, up to an hour." Which means you can concentrate to maintain the spells for up to an hour. As a high level caster you are already OP, so get fucked trying to munchkin your way to more bullshit.
>>
>>51798467
This.

It's incredibly clear like all the other spells that are maintained by concentration, but have a maximum possible duration.
>>
ITT: Butthurt martial characters.
>>
>>51799338
No? I'm exclusively a caster. Being a good caster means knowing the rules to spellcasting inside and out.

You're too stupid to be a wizard.
>>
>>51799338
Go back to your other editions.

In 5e, because of concentration, polymorph is most effectively used on someone else, like the rogue or the fighter, who can suddenly play as King Kong while you're casting your Fireball and other spells.
>>
>"or as long as you can concentrate decided at casting."
What is this supposed to mean?
How long you can concentrate on the spell is determined by the spell's maximum duration, in this case an hour, OR when something breaks your concentration later. Environmental hazard, falling unconscious, taking a rest, taking damage, casting a new concentration spell, etc.
>>
>>51799356
So clearly, when asking for rules clarification, the best course is to tell someone to get fucked and accuse them of power creep.

Yep, I'm the stupid one.
>>
>>51799362
>not being in a party of casters so that everyone is useful instead of polymorphing a useless fighter

555-COMEONOW
>>
File: 1435538356501.jpg (113KB, 700x634px) Image search: [Google]
1435538356501.jpg
113KB, 700x634px
>>51799362
>A character's mental statistics are replaced with that of the creature they're polymorphed into, retaining only base personality
>The rogue and fighter are fine with being turned into a rampaging ape for a while, and also have the same full strategic prowess as a human
This is stupid as hell. Wildshape makes sense because the druids retain their mental abilities and awareness. Polymorph either aught to not affect the mind of the target since it's bullshit to try and keep track of, or explicitly surrender control to the DM (which is also bullshit)
>>
>>51799391
There's nothing that needed clarification, and no one in that line of reply accused you of power creep.

>itt butthurt martials
>you're an idiot
>LOL THANKS FOR ACCUSING ME OF POWER CREEP

Suck a dick, retard.
>>
>>51799441
I'm not OP, fag. I just think you're retarded for sperging when he asked how a spell worked.
>>
>>51799574
>I'm not OP but you're clearly the guy that sperged on him, and not the guy in the very specific comment chain that told someone they were retarded for saying ITT butthurt martials

?
??
>>
>>51799394
The obvious answer is to bring hirelings and use them as pokemon.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.