[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Home-brew System

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: Homebrewing_System.jpg (289KB, 800x700px) Image search: [Google]
Homebrewing_System.jpg
289KB, 800x700px
I'm working on a rule light kind of system that me and my friends can play, something universally interchangeable as gurps without the massive headache and 60+ books

I'm looking for some opinions on what pats of tabletops people like more than others.

Attack/defense
> roll versus your opponent
> roll to beat Enemy AC
> roll under your attack skill

Dice/style
> d20's
> d100's
> d6's
> fudge dice?
> roll under
> roll over

Stats
> keep it simple Str/Int/Agi/Wil
> or more like 8?
> skills are based off stats
> Stats determine other attributes and skills are based off those

what else? I'm not looking for something super complicated, we've dealt with things from Gurps to Anima and were just looking for something light (inb4 D&D, we've been there too)

also if you don't get the picture, google the topic name
>>
>>51798292
>I'm working on a rule light kind of system that me and my friends can play, something universally interchangeable as gurps without the massive headache and 60+ books

You need 2 books to play GURPS dumbacunt. Hell you can get away with one book.
>>
>>51798852
go ahead i fucking dare you to say GURPS is "rules light". fuck off
>>
>>51799016
GURPS lite, motherfucker.
>>
>>51799050
>it's rules lite because we removed all the stuff you need to play the game!

Cancer
>>
>>51799050
you can lite anything if you remove everything but the dice system, theres fucking D&D lite, that doesn't make it a system, that makes it an aborted fetus thats barely below inbred.
>>
>>51799057
>>51799115
But GURPS is actually designed around being able to be run as crunchy or rules lite as you'd like, it works perfectly with the main rule just being 3d6 roll under and follow the rules of your given Advantages/Disadvantages. Even in the full book advanced combat is optional which is far and away one of the most complex things in GURPS base. I've had a friend who barely knew GURPS run it very well this way.
>>
>>51798292
I too have been working on a sort of general rules light system, so I can share my ideas on that.

On attack/defense, my rules in general are:
>your attack roll is an ability check defined by your weapon.
>If the defender chooses to dodge, your check is at disadvantage.
>If the defender chooses to block, they also make an ability check against your weapon. The comparison of both outcomes determines the result
I like the system because it's very obvious what you need to accomplish in order to hit your opponent. I'm a big supporter of roll to hit / armor reduces damage rather than armor makes it harder to hit

For dice style I use only d6s, using a dice pool for checks. Nearly everyone is either familiar with them or already has some laying around. Because of this, everything is based off 6:
>6 ability scores
>each ability score is 1-6
>check difficulties range from 1-6
>6 categories of classes/archetypes with 6 in each category
I like it because it keeps the numbers low enough that anyone can be expected to do any required math without hesitation.

Stats:
>Since I'm sticking with 6, I go by Con, Str, Dex, Wis, Int, and Cha just like D&D. I figure it's a system that has been shown to define a character pretty well, and experienced players will immediately understand it.
>I don't use modifiers or skills, so any check is just roll [ability score] d6. If you want skills, it'd be pretty easy to add them and just say "if the check deals with this thing, add this bonus"

There's also the matter of magic, but I'm not sure what you're looking for with that
>>
>>51799319
OP here, thank you very much for this, its actually pretty helpful to see someone else's work. thats just what I'm looking for! other peoples ideas.

>>51798852
>>51799050
>>51799303
I'm sorry, GURPS may be a system for some people but its not for me.
>>
>>51799384
Yeah, definitely! Oh, and one important thing to keep in mind is that I designed my system to be used with just cards (species, archetype, equipment), dice, and tokens (damage and mane). So the mechanics were picked with that in mind.
>>
>>51799418
fuck, mana, not mane.
>>
>>51798292
Yo, I've got some shit that fits this bill. I'll post what I've got later, but the idea is you just make everything up, from attributes to skills.

It sounds retarded and heady, but I think it's actually tight. It's a methodical engine rather than a collection of content.
>>
>>51799995
God it sounds so hip when I read it, I promise it's not bullshit, I need to sleep.
>>
>>51798292

Decide how you want your game to play and THEN build the dice system around it.
>>
File: 1478272193575.jpg (123KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1478272193575.jpg
123KB, 640x640px
>>51800057
are you telling me just figuring out how to roll a d20 as a d8000 isnt a proper basis to make a scale-able tabletop game that you can play from dungeon crawling to political espionage, even in the same campaign, with or without a game master?
>just roll to decide how to play today.
>roll to decide which plane of existance to play in
>>
>>51799050
38 pages doesn't mean that it's "light", buddy. You still have crunchy, situational rules and modifiers for pretty much anything, needing a lot of memorization to play the game RAW.
>>
There is a game design general up, you know.
>>
>>51801369
good to know
>>
>>51798292
>Attack/defense
>roll versus your opponent

Always this. Rolling against static values is uninteresting and unengaging for the dude getting hit and one of the main reasons why people zone out during combat.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.