[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Good super hero RPGs?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

I want something where I can design the custom powers, including some with limited or which tire the character out.

Besides m&m, what options are good?

Is GURPS supers any good?

How about champions?

Wild talents?

Only ones I've tried so far are m&m and aberrant.
>>
>>51792945
I have heard good things about M&M

and the latest fad is to design your powers is a system called Weaver Dice first
>>
Valor is an interesting option. It's been described as M&M but based on 4e rather than 3.5, with grid combat and custom-power rules.
>>
>>51792966
You can design your own powers in it?
Does it reduce everything to HP attrition like m&m seems to, or does it have more nuanced combat?
>>
>>51792945
GURPS' good for that too, but if you've never played, you and your players are just going to get lost trying to spend a thousand points and you'll get pissed at the lack of balance between your characters.
>>
>>51793639
So how do you build GURPS characters with 1000 points, as you say, without that problem?
>>
>>51792966
>>51792945
I'm getting some uncanny deja vu here. Didn't this interaction happen in a nearly identical thread yesterday?
>>
>>51792945

GURPSfag here: depends on the flavour. GURPS is very balanced, and supers really aren't, you know? While in a dedicated super type game you could manage to make Cyclopes and Jean on the same tier so to speak, but in GURPS their point levels would be SO different.

But if you're doing street level, you're golden

Prowlers and Paragons is nice and lightweight.

>>51792964
>and the latest fad is to design your powers is a system called Weaver Dice first

Weaver Dice is for a setting where in your powers fuck you over.

>>51793698
>So how do you build GURPS characters with 1000 points, as you say, without that problem?

Ah the other failing of GURPS.

Wildcard skills are a life saver that thematically work with supers.

Let them fiat some stuff with cosmic modifiers, so you can consolidate shit down more and more.

Expensive advantages, Luck, Super Luck, etc, to eat up shit.
>>
>>51797358
Hmm.

So GURPS isn't balanced well at high point totals. Would I be better off with champions or one of the other games for supers?

It sounds like you're saying GURPS would really struggle to do avengers or jla tier stuff, yeah?

Wildcard skills make sense for supers.

Are there major power discrepancies that are become visible at higher point totals?
>>
>>51793044
I made an energy slinging superhero in it the other day: 130 HP, which is actually a little on the low end. It sounds like a lot until you realize his strongest attack does 58 damage.

I haven't actually played the game yet, but it seems like this is pretty in-line with named characters in the example campaign. If anything, the game's a bit on the lethal end of things.
>>
>>51797449
>So GURPS isn't balanced well at high point totals. Would I be better off with champions or one of the other games for supers?

Firstly, GURPS IS balanced well at high point totals, it just becomes harder to keep track of everything you can do. Record keeping woes.

Since it's realistic rather than narrative, the numbers are big enough to encompass what you intend to do. Big enough that it can start hitting the gibberish/incomprehension level. This is in part because GURPS doesn't do absolutes very well, there's no invulnerability, there's only really fucking high DR, basically.

Possibly. I heard good stuff about Mutants and Masterminds and HERO system, though I don't play it myself. From what I heard they're pretty nicely crunchy with good flexibility.

>It sounds like you're saying GURPS would really struggle to do avengers or jla tier stuff, yeah?

At that level the point levels would be all over the place and would rely on the GM to fiat characters based on the results--X and Y both punch at the same level, but through different means, Y's is massively more expensive.

GURPS could do a great Avengers game--actually that's a perfect example.

GURPS could do a great MOVIE Avengers game, but probably not a comic one. And why doesn't the movie stack up to Comic feats, not just because of expense, but because Comic Feats are bullshit, they run on narrativum and handwavium. GURPS doesn't have much of either in it's mechanics.

>Are there major power discrepancies that are become visible at higher point totals?

Eh, tough to say, my experiences are pretty good, just got to remember to use difficulty modifiers.

The problem with GURPS is that shit is actually written out and calculated. You can do what you can do, and your players could end up pulling a With This Ring Orange Lantern situation, so to speak. Players trying to subvert Reed Richards is Useless, but wealth needs to be bought. That sort of thing.
>>
>>51792945
Champions is the grand daddy of power build games. M&M's powers were clearly inspired by Champions.

Try Champions.
>>
File: champions.jpg (180KB, 425x558px) Image search: [Google]
champions.jpg
180KB, 425x558px
>>51792945
>>51798460

Yep Champions aka HERO system. It requires some math but you can build exactly what you want, however you want.
>>
>>51792945
Wild Talents can do what you are looking for
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.