[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you go about setting up your own setting and campaign?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

How do you go about setting up your own setting and campaign? What kind of questions do you ask yourself when thinking up scenarios for the players?
>>
>>51782722
>What kind of questions do you ask yourself
What's the basic premise for the campaign.
Simple answer for that is enough for character creation session and after that I have much more tools to move onwards with.
>>
I usually like to think how I can allow every PC to use their various strengths in the session, give them options that make everyone turn and look at that one guy who can do the job. It's also good to mix up what kinds of things you're doing. My first campaign I GM'd for fell into a cycle of "go here, kill cultists, find some stuff out, follow straight-forward leads, kill more cultists, etc.". It's a good idea to mix up different types of sessions (investigative, combat, social, sneaky, etc.), along with how they tie into the overall plot. Your players will probably want breaks from the main plot, they'll want to explore the world and interact with the characters in it, so build those situations into your plans.
>>
What kind of story do I want to tell?

Will my players enjoy being in that setting and interacting with it?
>>
What kind of campaign do I want to run ?

Is there an existing setting that can run that campaign well ?

Creating your own setting is a lot of work. So I'm not likely to do that unless I can't find a suitable setting that already exists.
>>
>>51784727
>Creating your own setting is a lot of work.
Always just create what you need. Though it helps me that my campaigns are usually short and focused, so I don't need to create much.
>>
I think about what kind of antagonist would be cool this time, adapt it to the setting and figure out what they want, why they want it and how they'll go about getting it
Other NPCs pop into existence during planning and suddenly there is a framework for a campaign
>>
>>51782722
The most important question is "Is it fun for my players?"
I think a lot of people miss that question. I saw a guy talk about making the party he DMed for exchange currency within a big currency system he'd devised between these neighboring countries. And guess what? The players fucking hated it. Who wouldn't? Throughout the whole time that DM was designing coinage systems, making the exchange rate, etc. I bet he never once asked "Will this be fun for the people playing?" and of course if he HAD asked that he would realize "Of course not, most people don't want to roleplay currency exchange."
>>
>>51784750
>Always just create what you need.
Still more work than just using a setting that already has a good chunk of what you need and has room for you to create the rest.
>>
>>51782722
>am i drunk enough?
and
>should i be an asshole?
>>
>>51782722
My most recent one was "how can i make a setting that most of the party involved will be modular, since people may or may not show up"

The answer to that is a giant underground dungeon with a hub at the top. If they leave the town, their character goes off into the unknown, never to be seen again. Unless he comes back.
>>
>>51782722

I decide at the table, with everyone involved.

What am I, some solipsist faggot?
>>
>>51784727
>Creating your own setting is a lot of work.

No it isn't. All you need is the broadest strokes of whatever campaign you're hoping to run, with brief sketches of any important locations and NPCs, and you can just improvise the rest.

The folks in the worldbuilding threads have got it all backwards. You don't take the time to learn which way rivers flow, or how pre-industrial towns were usually arranged, or how feudal governments operated, in order to make a totally consistent, clockwork world. You learn that stuff so you have a good idea of the general shape of the things, so you can improv convincingly; so you can present the image of a consistent world, that doesn't actually exist.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.