[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been getting really into Samurai movies lately. Kobayashi,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 14

File: Yojimbo.jpg (289KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Yojimbo.jpg
289KB, 1920x1080px
I've been getting really into Samurai movies lately.

Kobayashi, Kurosawa, etc.

What would be the best way to run/execute a Samurai campaign, exploring a similar kind of world/themes, but without it devolving into weeb garbage?
>>
>>51769962
Depending on what you meant by weeb garbage and on if you are actually serious or trying to run yet another bait thread.
If you are serious, go look for the L5R thread.

Also this guy is right about you.
>>51769979
>>
>>51769979

but I don't like anime

>>51769986

Alright, I'll check that out.
>>
You're already a weeb.
But read some actual nonfiction books about feudal Japan, decide on how realistic you want it to be (because if you want to be 100% accurate, most of the stuff like ninja and the whole concept of bushido and samurai having giant boners for honour are bullshit made up afterwards, but that's not really fun to play).
>>
>>51769962
Try Song of Swords. I'm running one on the very same vein as you are and it's giving me fantastic results.
>>
>>51770016
You can be a weeb and hate anime.
>>
>>51769962
>Kobayashi, Kurosawa, etc.
The list goes on...
>>
>>51769962

Run an Old West Game but replace cowboys with Samurai.
>>
>>51769986

L5R might be the literal definition of weeb garbage.
>>
File: Sengoku.jpg (44KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Sengoku.jpg
44KB, 400x400px
>>51769962
I have used Sengoku/fuzion to play some feudal japan stuff. I find L5R to fit surprisingly poorly with it's clan/school systems, especially considering that the heroes in your examples are often ronin. Maybe GURPS would also work.
>>
Instead of worrying about what strangers on 4chan will think of you, just do things that you enjoy.
>>
>>51769962
>>51770025

Read Mushashi by Eiji Yoshikawa. More historical fiction, but pretty damn good.

If you want a Japan that includes foreigners, read Samurai Williams.

Avoid Shogun by James Clavell at all costs.
>>
File: Dark-Ronin-v1-1.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Dark-Ronin-v1-1.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51769962ยด

changes I'd do:

add an Armor dice; which starts at 6 and you roll everytime you receive a hit. If you roll over, drop the number by 1. If you roll under, keep the new result.

you'll also need a proper table:
1-botch
2-fail
3-failure, but you get an advantage
4-success at a cost
5-success
6-critical success
>>
>>51769962
>but without it devolving into weeb garbage?

You can't. Stop worrying. Embrace the weeb.
>>
>>51770085

This is a good point. The two often took direct inspiration from each other. Some cowboy movies are direct adaptations of samurai movies, and some samurai movies are direct adaptations of cowboy movies. The works are highly similar, and delve into similar subject matter and themes despite each having their own cultural color to them.
>>
File: blood-honor-redbox.png (381KB, 476x622px) Image search: [Google]
blood-honor-redbox.png
381KB, 476x622px
>>51769962
May I suggest Blood & Honor. Snatched from the Drivethru RPG page. I picked this up in dead tree a while back when I was having a similar urge. Haven;t run it yet. But it has potential. Even if I'm not the hugest fan of John Wick's work.

Blood & Honor: Samurai Tragedy in Old Japan is a new way to tell stories of honor and steel!

Blood & Honor includes:
* 170 Fully Illustrated Pages
* Rules for Creating Both Clans and Characters
* Task Resolution that allows Player Narration
* A New System for Duels and War
* Magic and Religion from Old Japan
* Streamlined Seasons System for Long-Term Goals
* Chapters Devoted to Player and Narrator Advice
Welcome to Old Japan...
>>
>>51771376
I've heard that book/mini-series was horribly inaccurate, but I don't really know how. Explain?
>>
>>51774227

Shogun? Yeah. It's sorta a retelling of near the end of the Sengoku Era, except instead of the actual people and clans it is about James Clavell's "OC do not steal" Samurai Clans and replacing William Adams, an actual person who was one of the few legitimate non-Japanese Samurai, with what feels like a self-insert who gets with a Japanese Hottie who happens to also speak Latin because she's a Catholic (even though there were Japanese Christians at the time the entire thing is kinda bullshit).

Honestly it's actually not a bad read but the fact it's a very westernized version of the period about completely fictional characters rather than the people the characters are based on really makes it a bad choice if you have any actual interest in Japanese History.
>>
>>51774208

I have played that shit, and it is utter trash. But here, have a rulebook for the curious.
>>
>>51774227
Shogun is an alright book with a fine story, it just doesn't have much historical value.
>>
>>51769962
Sengoku RPG
>>
>>51770025
He mentioned he liked Kobayashi. Any person who saw Seppuku will understand how full of shit the legends about Samurai honour are.
>>
How well does L5R ACTUALLY work for a Japanese samurai game?
>>
>>51775265
I'm curious why is it utter shit? I bought the book a lark. So I'm curious as to your critique.
>>
>>51780385
Not well at all actually, if you have any rudimentary knowledge of actual Japanese history or culture.
>>
>>51769962
star wars
>>
>>51778065
Moderns have a weird sense of what "honor" even is to begin with.
>>
The Mountain Witch.
>>
>>51774227
It's not a bad book, and the series is pretty well done. It's just not historically accurate.
>>
>>51780385
The system itself works well enough, but the setting is absolute bonkers and is pretty tied into the game itself. You'd need to do a fair bit of changing around. Go with Shogun, or your preferred low fantasy action game. I've done it with >>51770034 and had pretty good results, but there's a bunch of games that do that sort of thing.
>>
>>51769962
Read Clavell's Shogun, Musashi's Five Rings, THEN try to imagine Charlemagne's Francia being filled with short angry Asian men, constantly playing a diplomatic game of cat and mouse with each other.

Voila.
>>
Play Sengoku Rance. It will teach you all you need to know about Sengoku era Japan.
>>
>>51782870

Finding a physical copy of this book is fucking impossible. Out of print indie motherfucker never even shows up on eBay.
>>
>>51780993

It is literally impossible to have a cohesive story with it, because it allows too much input from too much people. And even if the GM somehow manages to keep shit together, it takes a single bored/unsatisfied player to mess everything up.

Effectively, it can be only a good game if you play it with yourself. Otherwise, utter chaos is all but ensured.
>>
>>51771282
Sengoku is really good. DM'd it a lot back in the days.
>>
>>51783921
SoS' rules and its crappy setting have nothing to do with each other. I'm in a Legend of Zelda game being run in SoS right now.
>>
>>51771282
Sengoku is really good. Used to DM it a lot. Another game that seems interesting is Blood & Honor (designed by John Wick).
>>
>>51785246
Good thing there's a PDF Share thread
>>
File: image.jpg (134KB, 650x550px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
134KB, 650x550px
No one mentions Bushido, the classic feudal Japan RPG. Are you kids even trying?
>>
File: Armour.jpg (377KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Armour.jpg
377KB, 1200x1600px
>>51788905
Isn't it quite hard to find? I skipped it because Sengoku was much easier to get. Would be curious to take a look at if if i ever found one. Is there a pdf somewhere?
>>
>>51789003
Probably in some repository in the PDF Share thread.
>>
File: joy.jpg (61KB, 525x290px) Image search: [Google]
joy.jpg
61KB, 525x290px
>>51789159
Found it. Thanks a lot.
>>
>>51788905
There's also Blossom are Falling, which is Burning Wheel: Samurai Edition.

It's set in the late Heian era, which marks it apart from most other Samurai rpgs in many ways. There are no katanas, the bushi are still primarily horse archers, the Imperial court is at it's cultural height and extremely heavily influenced by Chinese culture.

The lifepath system for building characters mean that Buddhist monks, prostitutes, mountain witches and farmers sit alongside Samurai and courtiers as options which gives a nice broad view of Japanese society at the time.
>>
File: heian.jpg (382KB, 1411x1877px) Image search: [Google]
heian.jpg
382KB, 1411x1877px
>>51789588
This was unexpected find. Have always wanted to play game set in Heian or even earlier periods.
>>
>>51785353
I've also heard that it leans a bit too hard on court intrigues and not so much on the stuff that happens outside of court.

>>51788800
I like Sengoku but I've been meaning to ask anybody here some things about it. Like how the fuck do you parse the ranged combat rules?
>>
>>51769962
Legend of the fi-
>Without it descending into weeb garbage

Oh... Nevermind :(
>>
L5R has good system, bad setting
>>
>>51788905
Bushido is kind of like a sliiightly more true-to-life L5R, settingwise. It's also level-based and IIRC your starting social class is randomly rolled, so you might get stuck playing an eta.
>>
>>51790012
I searched my Sengoku folder, but sadly it's in my basement with all the rest of Fuzion related games, buried deep under boxes and stuff.

If I remember correctly you have to beat the target's defense value (acts like a TN) with your attack roll. Then you have some modifiers for range, cover and such that affect the roll.
>>
>>51769962
>What would be the best way to run/execute a Samurai campaign, exploring a similar kind of world/themes, but without it devolving into weeb garbage?
Make it a Western.
>>51774100
>some samurai movies are direct adaptations of cowboy movies
I was unaware of this.
>>
>>51790051

No, even the system is bad. But it's only WOD levels of bad, nothing that much unusual.

The setting is simply terribad.
>>
>>51781882
Came to say this. Pick up the Force & Destiny Beginner Game in the Star Wars general, try it with friends and see if it fits you.
>>
>>51791141
>If I remember correctly you have to beat the target's defense value (acts like a TN) with your attack roll. Then you have some modifiers for range, cover and such that affect the roll.

The thing is, the game never gives modifiers for range--instead the section on range gives you flat target numbers by range, which directly contradicts the section on resolving a ranged attack.
>>
Something I saw recently which might interest you is a game called Reflections. It's a two-player storytelling game about dueling Samurai, the game takes the form of detailing the chain of events which culminated in the duel to the death between the two characters. During the backstory section both players build a pool of dice which are used in the final duel to determine who wins. It's a short form game, takes about an hour to play.
>>
>>51791587
As I said, I don't have Sengoku at hand. In Fuzion it is like I described when shooting at people. The fixed TN are used to hit targets that have no skills (like trees, ropes, lanterns, etc.).
>>
>>51791587
Another option would be that you make the attack using the fixed TN for range. The target might then try to dodge the projectile with the adequate skill.
>>
>>51792192
>Another option would be that you make the attack using the fixed TN for range. The target might then try to dodge the projectile with the adequate skill.

This sounds like the most workable way to do it I think.

Sengoku is great stuff, though. You could probably even do Imjin War stuff with it.
>>
>>51792328
The way I'd do it, to keep the resolution systems as in-line as possible given the goof (as melee combat uses a fixed target number based on the applied defensive traits + 10), is make it so that the target number you need to roll against is the higher of either the modified base range TN or the modified evasion skill TN.
>>
On the interchangeability of cowboys and samurai, you could probably hack Dogs in the Vineyard into a samurai game. Replace guns with swords and I'm a pretty sure you'll be golden.
>>
File: neat.png (401KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
neat.png
401KB, 600x450px
>>51792821
>Mormon samurai
>>
>>51769962
>Sengoku samurai antics
>Not objectively superior Meiji-era
Get a load of this weeb
>>
File: Kiheitai.jpg (135KB, 800x527px) Image search: [Google]
Kiheitai.jpg
135KB, 800x527px
>>51793394
This man speaks truth.
>>
OP don't RP play the best samurai board game instead: Shogun. You and three of your asshole friends fight to unify Japan. You get to build castles and pay ninjitsu clans to fuck up other...whatever the jap word is for warlord
Also, if you're trying to avoid weeb characteristics you've just got to play whatever game realistically instead of glorifying a skewed past.
IRL Japan's neighbors made fun of them until the 20th century because they were nothing but a backwards island of feuding warlord monkeys. Seriously, we love their culture now, but they were a fucking joke to everyone who wasn't the Ainu
>>
>>51771282
L5R is indeed awful for playing Kurosawa movies. I love the game, but it's just not good for your stereotypical samurai movie.
>>
>>51793894
>I love the game, but it's just not good for your stereotypical samurai movie.

Instead it's good for playing the bits from samurai movies that John Wick actually bothered to remember.
>>
File: Oh Shit.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Oh Shit.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>51793874
>IRL Japan's neighbors made fun of them until the 20th century

Late 19th century, even; check out the First Sino-Japanese War.
>>
>>51794128
Hell, they fared surprisingly well in the Imjin War for a culture with an entirely closed military zeitgeist. Their worst performances were at sea rather than on land.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.