[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Counterfeit MTG Cards, how common?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: DbgSSzd.jpg (78KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
DbgSSzd.jpg
78KB, 720x960px
Sup guys. Firing this thread off real fast after 6 hours of reading a million different topics across 54 tabs tonight high as fuck. I just came across some faggot on youtube who trades $240k worth of Magic the gathering cards a month like a stock broker. Saw some cards worth $30,000 like the black lotus. Was wondering how the market is stable if the cards can be duplicated, since they are produced by a private company and not the government. Couldn't a group of smart chinese dudes replicate the EXACT manufacturing process and make millions selling counterfeit versions? And beyond that, say there are people out there TRULY able to copy the process 100%, it wouldn't even be a fake at that point, it would just be overloading the market and rarity, but I imagine most wouldn't know because the prices online wouldn't reflect any illegal inflation? Someone please tell me this shit is already happening I want some good stories.

The only thing I thought of in the 5 seconds between seeing his video and opening this tab was that maybe the MTG manufacturer prints each rare card with a unique signature (1 specific dot pattern each) that can be verified before purchasing. If they don't do this then holy shit how many millionaires are out there printing MTG cards? Probably printing the equivalent of $10 bills instead of $100's to be safe.
>>
>>51768920
Link to the video?
>>
>>51768920
>say there are people out there TRULY able to copy the process 100%, it wouldn't even be a fake at that point
Fuck off Baudrillard, the Gulf War did happen.
>>
>>51768920

theoretically they could, but it's still not a perfect process. I ordered some fake cards from a chinaman for me and my friends to play high-level modern in kitchen table, I'll see how it turns out
>>
>>51768920
Konami won a major lawsuit against the guys doing Yugioh cards in the US because they were printing gun-authorized cards and selling them/pocketing them. It's worth reading into for fun if you are interested on the topic. Obviously different than what you are asking specifically though.
>>
>>51772301
*non-authorized
>>
>>51772383
>gun-authorized

>print the cards or I swear to GOD I'll blow your head off!
>they're not authorized!
>THE GUN SAYS OTHERWISE MOTHERFUCKER
>>
>>51768920
There are so many factors you're not considering I'm just gonna call you a retard instead of going in depth
>>
2 things:

1) the market is stable because artificial shortages are introduced deliberately by WOTC and StarCity Jews
2) there 100℅ for certain fakes in circulating as real now particularly for old card face. So if you're buying a dual land for xample you're taking the minor risk that shit is fake
>>
Well I bought a bunch of "black core best quality" proxies from aliexpress.
A lot of them have some color problem, often too dark.
But there is that Bloodstained Mire.
Holy shit.
It's 99% the same as the original, no kidding, I even showed it to a friend who plays Magic for more than 15 years and he couldn't believe it's a fake.
Black Lotus and moxes are the obvious target but if you are a little sneaky and have great counterfeits you can sell a lot of 50-200€ cards
>>
>>51768920
I bought some chinamen fakes a while ago and have used them in numerous tournaments (including GPs) and nobody has said a word. They are definitely not perfect though, you occasionally tell if you look closely enough but if you feel them out of their sleeves their is a big difference. That being said, the fakes are getting better every few months so I believe it's only a matter of time before they get so good as to be indistinguishable from the real deal. If this happens, what you said will definitely take place, where prices crash due to the massive increase in supply, and either wotc does nothing and prices stay cheap, or they finally decide to reprint the cards that desperately need reprinting, but this time with the holographic stamp. This is only for older cards, since newer cards have the hologram stamp which will be much harder for the Chinese to replicate in a way that is still profitable.

However, I would never circulate these fakes because at that point it is basically stealing. I have no problem playing with them, but I'm not about to rip someone off to make a few bucks.
>>
File: Average Modern Player.png (423KB, 1021x653px) Image search: [Google]
Average Modern Player.png
423KB, 1021x653px
>>51768920
>high as fuck
get your shit together, anon.
>>
>>51772706
In the old days they just solved this by limiting all tournament play to the last two expansions plus the current standard. Wizards could easily reprint limited edition proofs with altered features (different art, etc) if they wanted a tournament with out of print stuff, and sell you them for the cost of entry.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.