[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RPG system

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: Mordheim-FEATURED1.jpg (94KB, 625x250px) Image search: [Google]
Mordheim-FEATURED1.jpg
94KB, 625x250px
I'm searching for fitting rpg system with given requirements:

- no theater, entirely strategic decisions
- no hex/square grid
- using miniatures/tokens and measuring distance
- preferably with complex terrains like elevation, bushes, mud, water etc
- no religion/politics/fate/customs etc topics that you have to know to play the game
- no mordheim becouse simplistic and weird magic system
- any setting, disregard picrel

Any help anons?
>>
>>51753669
So you don't want an RPG, you want a wargame.
>>
Savage Worlds uses inches.

But you could probably convert just about any grid based combat RPG to use inches.

I can't for the life of me understand why people would want to spend time to measure distances while playing but w/e.
>>
>>51753699
maybe, but wargames involve huge armies probably. Besides no traps, buying stuff, unlocking doors etc. in wargames.
>>
>>51753712
>I can't for the life of me understand why people would want to spend time to measure distances while playing but w/e.

OP here, will try to explain what im aiming at.

I'm using lego bricks so hex are out of question. And squares well, I tried many things and found out what movement system without square grid simplifies the way figurines move on lego.
>>
>>51753761
>And squares well, I tried many things and found out what movement system without square grid simplifies the way figurines move on lego.

This feels weird to me, but whatever works (I'd probably just put a 2x2 on the feet of figures).

Still, my point of converting squares to distances stands. You can just put an arbitrary measurement numbers in.

For example, 1 square could be equal to 16mm; that's the width of 2-wide block.

If you decide to go with this, I recommend the Strike! tactical module.
>>
>>51753807
Hmmm yes but what about diagonaldistance?

Lets say in rulebook they say only vertical/ horizontal movent, or, that diagonal movement is the same to horizantoal/vertical instead of being 1.43 of block w. (like they did in dnd 4) This creates problems for conversion.

Besides there would be also rules for engaging in combat etc. Squares system would just be in the way.
>>
>>51753669
Shit dude. You might actually want battletech or its bastard child alpha strike.

>no theatre, campaign is done via spreadsheets
>can be played with hex or measurements
>works with minis or tokens
>increasing rules complexity for terrain, up to volatile toxic atmospheres, interiors of volcano, asteroid mining complexes, etc.
>not really sure what you mean about religion/politics/fate/customs but battletech's lore is largely best ignored
>no magic
>>
>>51753883
>This creates problems for conversion.

Well, not really. It lets you do it more precisely with measurements, but this should not ruin anything in relation to the system. You don't need a diagonal special rule if you don't have diagonals.

Also, you'll be having the problem of not being able to fit the measurements on the legos.

>Besides there would be also rules for engaging in combat etc.

I'm not sure I understand this
>>
>>51753933
>I'm not sure I understand this
Let's say the square system has rules for engaging from 4 sides of the square((you have to aproach enemy from 4 available sides that hes sitting on). Now if I have gridless, I'll have to think about changing this rule.

Rules about magic/explosion coverage etc. Becouse Square grid is not natural movement system, as opposed to hex/no grid. It confines distance in more abstract ruleset.
>>
>>51753933
>Also, you'll be having the problem of not being able to fit the measurements on the legos.

I do not understand. I just measure with tape or special block. I will post pic so everybody can get the visuals of the problem at hand.
>>
>>51753908
Thank you, that seems interesting. Where do I start with battletech if i want no hex?

By religion/politics/fate/customs i meant that some systems you have to read a lot about some background stuff to understand game mechanics. Like you have to know about religion and stuff in Warhammer 2ed or Mordheim to use magic. Or some weird fate/luck/destiny points in some other known game systems.
>>
>>51754150
The /btg/ is usually pretty helpful and friendly, the op has rules and asking questions is fine.

Battletech was designed for hexes on maps, but has easy rules for converting to terrain and measurements. Works fine with lego, paper chits, shotgun shells, whatever. You just have to be able to keep track of what way the mech is facing.

Lore wise there's a lot, but most of its irrelevant and pretty dumb if you get into it. The factions are easy to summarize and unit building can be based in quasi-future-historical recreation or just pick what big robots you want. Main issue is game balance, it works better if everyone is on the same page about not being an asshole and making an interesting scenario.

Gameplay is a weird mix of historical hex/chit wargame with rpg elements. Its better for small skirmishes. There's a lot of optional rules to add more complexity. Like a whole book of them if you want.
>>
>>51754067
>Let's say the square system has rules for engaging from 4 sides of the square((you have to aproach enemy from 4 available sides that hes sitting on). Now if I have gridless, I'll have to think about changing this rule.

Most systems I know that use grids have no such rules, or can be rephrased as "within 1 square" which you already just convert to "withing 16 mm". The worst I can think of is maybe flanking being a bit harder to determine but probably not (in fact, I'm pretty sure those would be even easier).

>>51754103
>I do not understand. I just measure with tape or special block. I will post pic so everybody can get the visuals of the problem at hand.

I mean, if you measure with your special block in diagonals, you won't fit onto the pegs exactly on legos anyway. If you just use the smooth ones as terrain, then no issue, of course.
>>
>>51753669
The FFG 40k rpgs sound like what you are looking for, though you should read up on the lore a bit. Everything is based on meters, not grid movement, so you would just need to figute out a scale representation.
>>
I got carried away with the conversion talk, so I just wanted to drop Savage Worlds again.

It's the most generic of the systems recommended so far, and also plays the smoothest by far.
>>
>>51754653
>savege worlds
I thought it's more of cinematic expierience, with bennies, using weird moves and all that. Or so I heard. Dunno if that's what OP had in mind.
>>
>>51755827
It doesn't have "moves" if you mean it in the PbtA sense. It's pretty standard, has hit locations and everything. Bennies are there because the combat is brutal, and without them, the characters can sorta randomly explode in a single hit, but you can limit the exploding dice instead and remove bennies easily.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.